So, it seems next KOF is going DOA

Comments

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,498
    with SNK's contribution to Tencent's XDZW, I imagine they'll be using something very similar to its sprites.
    Judging by the models shown in this new picture, it seems not.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,486
    Man I've always loved the Samurai Shodown series, really it is the only SNK series I've followed for a long time. I hope it is like SS5 sp, SS2, etc. A fundamental footsie based weapons game.

• Thatdude8Thatdude8 Joined: Posts: 302
    I actually like those 3D models.
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    Magegg wrote: »
    with SNK's contribution to Tencent's XDZW, I imagine they'll be using something very similar to its sprites.

we looking at the same thing? the shading is similar.

even if these games were 3D, MIRA was super legit. very fun game.
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face

we looking at the same thing? the shading is similar.

even if these games were 3D, MIRA was super legit. very fun game.
    Really don't think so. These models are way more detailed than the ones of XDZW, much more 3D (while are "spritified" 3D models) and HD, even could work as artworks, so these in-game renders are more like the ones of KOF MI, unlike XDZW.
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,307
    those models are ps2 era shit, wtf snk!? wtf!?
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 21,565
    The good thing is that Running Wild could be saying the truth about those models being for a pachinko machine so they are not necessarily what they will use for their fighting games
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,096
    MotM wrote: »
    Okay, the website you linked doesn't say anything about what your pic shows except for that line of text in the pic itself, which google cannot translate, of course. Anybody speak Japanese?

EDIT: Nevermind, if you click on the pic below that just show Terry mad then it gives you more info. Running Wild is right, this looks like like a pachislot game.
    "The world needs to play more?" That's probably wrong/rough.

I'm gonna guess and say those are generic renders. The link with ugly Terry says they're hiring to help develop smart and pach games, as well as nextgen KoF/SamSho (which would imply that development or art hasn't started cause they haven't hired all their staff yet)
  • NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 212
    edited November 2013
    Taito wrote: »
    "The world needs to play more?" That's probably wrong/rough.

Close enough.

Playmore could (read: better) change how they render the models... SF4 & SFxT have different shading styles despite using the same models. I could see SNKP doing the same for Slot & Games.

Remember the old "doll-face" models DoA used to have?

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/d0e3f1c74689eea77dee8bdb2479133f1371246122_full.jpg

They were used in a recent pachinko game, released after DoA5 (not much relevance besides the fact that assets can be different between Slot & Games).
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,341
    needs tag or not worth my time. :coffee:
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
  • SkeletrollSkeletroll Banned Joined: Posts: 1,267
    I'm usually against the whole "something is better than nothing" philosophy, but at least a new 2D SS is coming after that last train wreck. Although not ideal, Tenka is what I've been surviving on for my SS needs for years now, I'll try to remain hopeful for this new one.
    I agree with those who advocate for tag. KOF XI was my favorite game of the whole series, tag was so exciting :)
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    Also I'mm be mad if the next KOF game isn't a UM, so annoying alot of the characters that were in the Ash Saga got dropped for older characters.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,134
    It makes little sense for SNKP to ditch all the work invested in the Kof XII - XIII without getting a little more mileage from it. A dream match KoF would only need to add some more characters and some new sprites to the already existing ones; starting a 3D dream match with 35+ characters from scratch is a gigantic load of work; if they are really working in that line, expect the first game to have less than 20 chars.

I never watched competitive KoF 98 to know whether this combo change is good or not. Can anyone provide links to games played by top players? I don't have a problem with XIII HD mode: if you're going to hit confirm into full damage, you have to burn full meter and your execution must be perfect. Fair trade. The only issue is with the characters that can chain big combos without HD mode (Takuma, Hwa Jai, Chin) and that are localized problems rather than a major mechanic flaw they could easily fix if they were willing to release balance patches (agree that dividing the HD meter in three sections would add more tension). What I really don't want is herp-derp single hitconfirm into super for massive damage in 3S Chun style. I'm also extremely worried by the "easier control for more casual players" line. Is this going to be the SF4 step for KoF? We're doomed.

• NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 212
    They're tweaking the existing models from which they did the sprite-work off of; all the characters from XIII are returning. The cards of the characters not in XIII (Geese) were also rotoscoped, so their models exist too. Their just upgrading the models for the new generation of consoles (like what the 3D fighter devs do).
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 2,071
    I'm not about to pretend I'm some old school KoF player. I played 98 and XI on a somewhat casual level before I really got into XIII.
    That said, having gone back and really looked at 98 and 2k2, XIII already is a dumbing down for the casual player affair.
    With all the assistance the game gives the player, getting big damage has never been easier. And because of HD mode (plus the fact that the game hands out gobs of meter to the player receiving damage), stealing wins is very feasible.

Unrelated, my kingdom for Alice's hat.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    I'm not about to pretend I'm some old school KoF player. I played 98 and XI on a somewhat casual level before I really got into XIII.
    That said, having gone back and really looked at 98 and 2k2, XIII already is a dumbing down for the casual player affair.
    With all the assistance the game gives the player, getting big damage has never been easier. And because of HD mode (plus the fact that the game hands out gobs of meter to the player receiving damage), stealing wins is very feasible.

I guess the big question is this. Since 13 was technically a hit (exact numbers and DLC sales have never been released) does this mean SNKP will make the followup more along the lines of 13 in how scrub-friendly it may or may not be.
    STOMP!
    Also I'mm be mad if the next KOF game isn't a UM, so annoying alot of the characters that were in the Ash Saga got dropped for older characters.
    Ash saga was significantly less popular than the previous sagas.
    It was the same with NEST SAGA and it was still bullshit they dropped most of the characters in 2k2 for more Orochi Saga shit.
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 427
    If SNKP were to put Orochi Saga characters in their next dream match game, they better not forget about Chizuru. I mean, why ain't she in 2k2UM?
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,324
    It was the same with NEST SAGA and it was still bullshit they dropped most of the characters in 2k2 for more Orochi Saga shit.

NESTS Kyo was looking fly with that jacket though
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260

NESTS Kyo was looking fly with that jacket though

Kyo's 99 intro was so effing cool
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I dunno i dont think you'll ever see the sports team return, probably the last bastions of fighting game character stereotypes.

Haha maybe that's why people are quite fond of them?
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    edited November 2013
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    danomighty wrote: »
    needs tag or not worth my time. :coffee:

Good. Keep your stupid Marvel bullshit out of my KoF.
    Oh god, I just disagreed with JohnGrimm.

But it had to be done.

Also those 3D models sure look rudimentary. I can't imagine them making a fighting game with such low-quality renders. Cheap graphics for a non-game, sure, but I would think a game would require more extensive 3D modeling.
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,538
    BzChoy wrote: »
    If SNKP were to put Orochi Saga characters in their next dream match game, they better not forget about Chizuru. I mean, why ain't she in 2k2UM?

Oh well. She's an Ash Saga character as of KOF03 so if they dream match, she should be a shoe in.
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    I dunno i dont think you'll ever see the sports team return, probably the last bastions of fighting game character stereotypes.

Haha maybe that's why people are quite fond of them?

As far as stereotypes go, I liked them actually.

Lucky was garbage (imo) but I think Heavy D was a very interesting take on the Boxer Character Archtype and he had great frame traps. Brain Battler was just a moving hitbox, I loved that guy.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

Actually, all three were very good (specially in KOF 98UM). The only downside were the designs, that were not as appealing as the other characters. But that could be easily rebooted.
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 427
    edited November 2013
    Laban wrote: »
    BzChoy wrote: »

Oh well. She's an Ash Saga character as of KOF03 so if they dream match, she should be a shoe in.

I hope so. I wanna see her and her twin sister in the next Saigado doujin (it's been a while since that guy did a KOF doujin), so SNKP better step their game up.
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623
    I sure do hope they make a new 2D gameplay SamSho game. Last good game I played was Tenkaichi Kenkakuden (SS6), still play that every so often.
    edited November 2013
    Actually, all three were very good (specially in KOF 98UM). The only downside were the designs, that were not as appealing as the other characters. But that could be easily rebooted.

You can't reboot characters like that, they are what they are, cheesy 90's stereotypes.
    Frankly i wouldn't want them to either it's part of the reason why i like the usa sports team.
    To be honest i'm sick to death of reboots remaking whatever, what would the usa sports team be rebooted into?

Usa Music team? or some shit, lucky doubles as 2 pac, heavy d is a dubstep dj, brian battler becomes beiber battler, as stupid as it sounds i put nothing past the idiots that run these companys today

Only reason they were not as appealing is because they were a bit shit, people gravitate what's good/broken, you could put an icecream cone with shit on it make it broken/good and it would still be more popular than usa sports team, not the fact that it's a good design or decent in the game just because it's top tier.
    Kyo poosunagi > usa sports team : (

AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    You can't reboot characters like that, they are what they are, cheesy 90's stereotypes.
    Frankly i wouldn't want them to either it's part of the reason why i like the usa sports team.
    To be honest i'm sick to death of reboots remaking whatever, what would the usa sports team be rebooted into?
    Just update the costumes.

You really don't need to reeboot the costumes outside of maybe Brian.
    He is a super star
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,065
    As long as the character models look better than those of SSFIV I think it should be fine.
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
    You really don't need to reeboot the costumes outside of maybe Brian.
    They can always look better.

OK, all of them but Heavy D!
    Heavy D is one of the most ballin character designs ever. Never understood why people ahd problems with Lucky.
  • HadoukieHadoukie K-UGER! Joined: Posts: 424
    Not very pleased if this is true, but whatever, I'll be waiting for dat 3D Mai model *Thinks of Mai in 3D*mmmmmm

And bring Vanessa back
    Just update the costumes.

In my opinion that could work for heavy D but not for the other 2, those 2 are beyond redemption, in terms of being able to give them a new look while still keeping the essence of what makes them likeable characters

People hate on lucky because he is shit tier and black, he never stood a chance
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    He's high/top in 98um/FE
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    edited November 2013
    Isn't he really bad in The Slugfest if I remember the tier list correctly? That and he didn't seem too hot in that game either.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

• jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    Basuke Bu.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

• JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,281
    Isn't he really bad in The Slugfest if I remember the tier list correctly? That and he didn't seem too hot in that game either.

In Vanilla 98 Heavy D! is like the only member of the US Sports Team worth playing and even then he's still not very strong. Fortunately 98 isn't so harsh that lower tier characters are unplayable. In the updates though pretty much all of the US Sports team was buffed and made pretty solid.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!