So, it seems next KOF is going DOA

124»

Comments

• LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,551
    Magegg wrote: »
    Laban wrote: »
    In that case, I'd still emphasize using Xrd's technique of cel shading and frame rate throttling to capture the hand drawn style to emphasize's its own aesthetic style.
    Sadly, that could be very expensive :/

Could be. If I recall, both the process of making 2D sprites and 3D models could be equally time-consuming and money-pitting. The hard thing about sprites is the dotting, planning out how motions are going to look, and having to redraw stuff when you need to adjust the move. With 3D models, it's "kinda" easy to make the model but requires a lot of time and effort to be put into texturing and finalizing the model. Then there's much more additional work on models that are constantly transforming into other shapes; whereas with sprites, you'd just have to do the dotting as if you're drawing animation and it'll be the same either way.

So both ways are similarly taxing. The issue is we don't the actual costs of production. I presume though that with KOF and SS characters, it'll be easier to create and finalize models than GG characters since the "form" of the characters are pretty static since everyone is human-like. I think it's affordable even for SNKP, it's just the matter of finding people with the expertise to work with Unreal Engine III and making 3D models.

I'm doubting SNKP will find the right people or go down the cel-shading/throttling route though. I'll keep my anticipation at lukewarm for new KOF and SS until we get more news. If there is one thing SNKP is very adept at, it's making disappointments.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,157 mod
    edited November 2013
    At this point, should the thread title be changed to something more about discussing the future of KOF?
    Magegg wrote: »
    In that case, I'd still emphasize using Xrd's technique of cel shading and frame rate throttling to capture the hand drawn style to emphasize's its own aesthetic style.
    Sadly, that could be very expensive :/

Could be. If I recall, both the process of making 2D sprites and 3D models could be equally time-consuming and money-pitting. The hard thing about sprites is the dotting, planning out how motions are going to look, and having to redraw stuff when you need to adjust the move. With 3D models, it's "kinda" easy to make the model but requires a lot of time and effort to be put into texturing and finalizing the model. Then there's much more additional work on models that are constantly transforming into other shapes; whereas with sprites, you'd just have to do the dotting as if you're drawing animation and it'll be the same either way.

So both ways are similarly taxing. The issue is we don't the actual costs of production. I presume though that with KOF and SS characters, it'll be easier to create and finalize models than GG characters since the "form" of the characters are pretty static since everyone is human-like. I think it's affordable even for SNKP, it's just the matter of finding people with the expertise to work with Unreal Engine III and making 3D models.

I'm doubting SNKP will find the right people or go down the cel-shading/throttling route though. I'll keep my anticipation at lukewarm for new KOF and SS until we get more news. If there is one thing SNKP is very adept at, it's making disappointments.
    I believe that it is easier to iterate with models than sprites. For example, if they wanted to have both classic Terry and MOTW Terry as alternte costumes, all they would need to do would be new models since the skeletal animation data could simply be carried over.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

d3v wrote: »
    At this point, should the thread title be changed to something more about discussing the future of KOF?

And Samsho. If we didn't have Samsho in the title, the thread would be shoved into the KOF Subsection by Preppy and this thread will permanently die like all the other ones since no one really goes there.

Gotta talk Samsho, must talk Samsho.

Speaking of which, go away SS2 Cham Cham cr.D. The strongest low forward. Also why does she have to go underneath Haohmaru's far B (CVS2 far MP)? Have to play the match up with Genan instead.

And Samsho. If we didn't have Samsho in the title, the thread would be shoved into the KOF Subsection by Preppy and this thread will permanently die like all the other ones since no one really goes there.

Speaking of which, go away SS2 Cham Cham cr.D. The strongest low forward. Also why does she have to go underneath Haohmaru's far B (CVS2 far MP)? Have to play the match up with Genan instead.
    While we never got into it as much as Marvel, SF or Tekken, I do recall that we enjoyed SamSho a bit over here back in the 90's. Enough that I recall that me and my brothers actually added SamSho characters into our teams (Nakoruru for me) when we got into CvS2.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

While we never got into it as much as Marvel, SF or Tekken, I do recall that we enjoyed SamSho a bit over here back in the 90's. Enough that I recall that me and my brothers actually added SamSho characters into our teams (Nakoruru for me) when we got into CvS2.

If you could, your group should dabble in SamSho 2. It's kinda a pick up and play game and the best combos in the game are just Jump-in AB (Heavy Attack) into ground AB. It really helps out footsies since that's the emphasis of the games. Sword strikes are pretty negative on block so you gotta decide at which spaces to commit to making a poke, because if you whiff and punished you take a bit more damage than usual (as I recall) and committing to having your attack blocked too deep in is also susceptible to punishes. Certain characters also have crouch walk back and forward that also affect the way people walk forward and block to approach since back walking is kinda counter intuitive to gaining yardage by walking forward. Although Ukyo is top tier, Cham Cham throws a wrench against him and many other characters like Kyoshiro, Genan, Jubei, Wan-fu, and etc. are still pretty strong. Wan-fu's butt-poke is one of the best footsie tools I have ever seen in my life and watching butt-footsies is magnificent. Only thing I really want is for Haohmaru's far B to not whiff over many characters and pokes (isn't as good as later games or CVS2.)

If anyone is down to Samsho 2, just hit me up and I can hop on GGPO and play some.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,508
    edited November 2013
    I dont even play KOF and this supposed 3D style they are going to do greatly angers me. Those character models look like shit.

Switching to 3D would be acceptable

If they didnt make it look so terrible.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,297
    I'm indifferent to the models they use as long as the game plays fine. Even though I hated how Maximum Impact played, I always thought it looked good enough that I wasn't offended by the modelling. That's really all I ask for, do something on par with MI that I am not offended with visually.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    As long as we don't get Blue Mary's MI2 Alternate Costume. Terry's Alt was pretty cool actually along with Mai's though. I think Mai's alternate was the best outfit that balanced between being "Mai" and having a semblance to having a Ninja outfit.

In before the new games are actually a new KOF Kyo RPG and a Samsho RPG.

• Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    Mai's alt is better than her actual design IMO.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,297
    Admittedly a lot of costumes in MI were REALLY bad. Ash's alts got super fucked and basically all of the new characters look awful. But that's what happens when you commission Falcoon for designs.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    edited November 2013
    for the most part, yeah. there were some great ones though. Kyo's alt where it was just like casual clothing with the tank and sash was cool, as well as Alba's which made him not look like a complete douchebag.

I definitely agree though that Falcoon is a pretty mediocre character/art designer, even as much as I like Ash.
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,558
    edited November 2013
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Admittedly a lot of costumes in MI were REALLY bad. Ash's alts got super fucked and basically all of the new characters look awful. But that's what happens when you commission Falcoon for designs.
    The worst part is that if you pick characters in the random slot in MI:RegA, you can get your character with the alternate costume and there's no way to disactivate this. I usually spend the loading screens trying to discern what character I got, and the rest of the match wishing I had gotten the default costume instead.
    It's a BIG turnoff for me to play this game, I'd probably play it more often if it wasn't for that :/

They should get Jade Studio to design the alternate costumes this time, I wouldn't had a big problem if the characters had a ton of belts and bands hanging on their pants, as long as it is not Falcoon.
    Post edited by Magegg on
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978

If you could, your group should dabble in SamSho 2. It's kinda a pick up and play game and the best combos in the game are just Jump-in AB (Heavy Attack) into ground AB. It really helps out footsies since that's the emphasis of the games. Sword strikes are pretty negative on block so you gotta decide at which spaces to commit to making a poke, because if you whiff and punished you take a bit more damage than usual (as I recall) and committing to having your attack blocked too deep in is also susceptible to punishes. Certain characters also have crouch walk back and forward that also affect the way people walk forward and block to approach since back walking is kinda counter intuitive to gaining yardage by walking forward. Although Ukyo is top tier, Cham Cham throws a wrench against him and many other characters like Kyoshiro, Genan, Jubei, Wan-fu, and etc. are still pretty strong. Wan-fu's butt-poke is one of the best footsie tools I have ever seen in my life and watching butt-footsies is magnificent. Only thing I really want is for Haohmaru's far B to not whiff over many characters and pokes (isn't as good as later games or CVS2.)

If anyone is down to Samsho 2, just hit me up and I can hop on GGPO and play some.

Hoahmaru vs any character that can get in on him and take away his far pokes is a struggle (imo). Genan and Cham-cham drive this Hoahmaru player insane.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

JohnGrimm wrote: »
    But that's what happens when you commission Falcoon for designs.
    The time when Falcoon first came on board was a really weird time for SNK. Especially since Shinkiro and Senri Kita started doing work for Capcom that more or less looked more like the old SNK style.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 428
    Naah man. Luise Meyrink is my waifu. But I do agree that many of MI's original characters look bad (looking at you, Nagase).

Regarding SamSho 2, what can Genjuro do against Ukyo? Or is it just better to pick another character like Charlotte or Jubei?
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
    BzChoy wrote: »
    Naah man. Luise Meyrink is my waifu. But I do agree that many of MI's original characters look bad (looking at you, Nagase).

Regarding SamSho 2, what can Genjuro do against Ukyo? Or is it just better to pick another character like Charlotte or Jubei?

Not so sure. For me, the main counter pick against Ukyo is using Cham Cham and checking him with boomerang throws and punishing him with st.AB/cr.AB. Although a bit difficult for him, he can still manage against Cham Cham's leap attack but requires a bit more precision to punish it unlike others that could simply DP or Genan st.AB.

When I play Genjuro, other than basic footsies I just gimmick cross up rekkas each time since my training partner doesn't really block it well. Sounds like a semi-difficult match up overall since Ukyo's B attacks are better and can run away better with his backdash fireball. I don't know how I'd out footsie him. How are Genjuro's kick attacks? I know Cham Cham can keep up with cr.D and her AB attacks.
  • The QuestionThe Question Pitched Battles, here we go. Joined: Posts: 487
    edited November 2013
    Laban: As long as we don't get Blue Mary's MI2 Alternate Costume. Terry's Alt was pretty cool actually along with Mai's though. I think Mai's alternate was the best outfit that balanced between being "Mai" and having a semblance to having a Ninja outfit.
    In before the new games are actually a new KOF Kyo RPG and a Samsho RPG.

Yo man take that back Samsho RPG with Genjuro and the frog was basically Samsho Excellent Adventures!

Heres my piece:
    MI KOF was fun with friends but it was broken, we use to laugh for hours over the shite costumes and trying to figure out the dev conferences when falcoon was in charge,

F: Nagase is me if I was a woman! (actual quote from falcoon)

Staff: Oooooook sir so this character is in then....

F: looking at alt costumes for characters...hmmm...I think this will do slides over a picture of Hanzo as a bug...

Staff:Rolls eyes looks at President.

P: Alright thats it Falcoon get the fuck out! NOW! You're fired!

F: *Leaves in a hufff slams the door... Can hear his fatass breaking shit and running into things as he leaves SNK/Playmore office.*

Staff:*Reaches down and picks up the sketch* Hey put that bug in, its the least we could do.

If Samsho comes back it has to be done right like from 4 back, flashy combos, solid gameplay that rewards footsies and shit and no HD, nothing from 6, and for the love of god put Hard Slash final hit=Death! not that gay shit from sen fuck sen, if I wanted to play sen I would buy the Kengo games oh wait, I already have all 3! I don't want Kengo master of Fuckin Bushido I WANT SAMSHO!!! I want to see two Kuroko's carry off a dead body while the other Kuroko bows and then proceeds to throw confetti at me because I did an awesome job killing Remiruru in a sexy slowed down finisher before she plopped over in two pieces on the ground to some remix of Ukyo's Moonflower theme from SS II.

Asking for 98's combat system maybe too much to ask for so I ask for 2002 UM's at the very least with better balance. and minimal HD. HD checks alot of people at the door, I don't mind EX's, So do minimal HDs so the use of normals will be more prevalent again instead of being used to get in and do an HD, in that regards fuck HD's! They make people salivate for the nonsense and get all hot and heavy and no one learns fundiments or how to use normals. I had a guy who could do HD's and the other day I beat him with C and D that was it NO HDS he couldn't deal with getting poked but he could do HD's what the eff is that shit? it blew me away. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

Im dissappointed they are doing away with the sprites though that really hurts I hope at the very least Samsho and KOF get the guilty gear XRD treatment, but as was stated earlier it is SNK we are talking about, so don't expect much.

Laban: As long as we don't get Blue Mary's MI2 Alternate Costume.
    What the hell were they thinking with her hair?!?
    b389acb6b920309376b2493d74f3c927.jpg
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    this sequence is a must in any kof if aiming for success:

<blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    this sequence is a must in any kof if aiming for success:

they did so with Yuri and Mai in KOFXIII already....
    too slow!
    I guess I'd be happier if characters from World Heroes or Fighter History are integrated from this title onwards =/
    Great you moved this thread to a different subforum in which it will be visible to no one.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,656
    pachinko confirmed?
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    138289721465723763226.jpg

Yeah, at least it looks like those renders were not from the promised fighting games at all. Well, something's something :)

I expect the graphics better to be more or less like the ones of Xuan Dou Zhi Wang (but HD this time). Probably a couple XDZW characters there as guest fighters :D
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,167
    I TOLD YA SO.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary
    KOF98UM: Mature/Geese/EX-King
    LB2: Yuki, Washizuka, Hibiki
    PREPPY. THIS THREAD IS DEAD. THIS THREAD WAS DISCUSSING SAMSHO AS WELL AND SAMSHO DOESN'T BELONG HERE. UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,766 admin
    What's the topic?

If you're saying the SRK forums have visibility/organization problems, I would most strongly encourage crying at people who can help with that. The alternative is seemingly having all "special" threads in "visible" forums which seems counterproductive. :(

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• Monkey66Monkey66 Joined: Posts: 1,345
    Mai looks like a DOA girl there. BTW I think she may be getting a new outfit judging by her render. Also who's the guy on her left? Robert?
  • OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,537
    I hope they do a new King of Fighters with Mai's jiggling breasts being even more distracting than before.
  • NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 212
    Monkey66 wrote: »
    Mai looks like a DOA girl there.

main.jpg

Well... thankfully they got that part right (why does everyone else look so damn awful).

Why would they go with old man Terry Bogart if they have Haohmaru in it? Its not like this will be canon......Mai looks older too, but in a good way. :D
    Why would they go with old man Terry Bogart if they have Haohmaru in it? Its not like this will be canon....
    No, it's because they're producing one KOF game and a new SS game. They're maybe using that pic to promote both new games.
    OOOOH ok, cool! :D
    I wonder when we'll here about this, maybe E3 2014? I know the game should at least have an arcade release by this year since it will be for their 20th Anniversary
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Mai Darkness Joined: Posts: 2,744
    We will see happens next. I am sure that SNKP will do a great job overtime with the new installment.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Shun / Mai / Beni [Luong, Geese, Sylvie, Kyo, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai[Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: ???
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

I like how the folks who have revived this thread seem totally oblivious that these 3D renders are for the Pachinko game and not any fighting game in development.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 212
    edited January 2014
    But they are more than likely to use the same models for the games (probably in a different rendering style, the rumor states they'll use a cel-shaded look or something like that).
    Itd be cool if they use the KOF 03, XI sprites along with the KOF 13 sprites for contrast in KOF 14. hehe.
    edited January 2014
    Well it could be, they did wanna make a kof 20th anniversary game so they could be planning it and would still use the 3d models.
    Post edited by Monkey66 on
  • SpαrksterSpαrkster G.F.B.T.G. Joined: Posts: 312
    Nocturnal please, close this thread.
    Spαrkster wrote: »
    Nocturnal please, close this thread.
    Spαrkster please, clouse that mouth.
    Didn't SNK say they were making the 2014 KOF 3d? It's quite possible they'll be using those graphics.

Which btw, I wonder when it'll be revealed. Maybe E3 2014?
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,205
    Why are people complaining about renders for a pachislot game that will never leave Japan?

I mean, you wanna see awful, look no further than this

Jn-03.png
    Jn-04.png
    Jn-01.png

Why does everyone on the right look like aliens?
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
124»