X-men: Dark Phoenix: (Nov. 2,2018)

1394042444552

Comments

  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,085
    edited May 2016
    Jaxxx wrote: »
    Why does Fox/Marvel stick B. Singer with the X-Men. I really would like to see someone else take on the mutants.
    also i'm a huge comic Storm fan, did she get a decent portrayal in this film?


    Singer has done well. Out of all the X-Men movies, the ones he has directed have been the best.

    Edit: With the notable exception of Deadpool. If you'd count that as an X-men movie anyway.
  • NAPNAP Joined: Posts: 1,812
    Azure wrote: »
    His dad is Mags.

    Not anymore. Or did they already retcon that again?

    Have you read Peter David's X-Factor run? I didn't read all of it but I liked how he wrote Quicksilver.
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,556
    Jaxxx wrote: »
    Why does Fox/Marvel stick B. Singer with the X-Men. I really would like to see someone else take on the mutants.
    also i'm a huge comic Storm fan, did she get a decent portrayal in this film?


    Singer has done well. Out of all the X-Men movies, the ones he has directed have been the best.

    Edit: With the notable exception of Deadpool. If you'd count that as an X-men movie anyway.

    Best one is First Class. Singer's shit is still stuck in the early 2000s even though over a decade has passed.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,888
    I do agree the best might well be First Class. I AM kind of partial to Days of Future Past too though (even if when it comes to X-Men films as a whole, X2 has a lot of good memories), and The Wolverine was better than I thought it'd be.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,042
    Funny that... The best X-Men movie is the one with no Singer.

    Huh, how about that?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,042
    Was talking about First Class, since I always forget Last Stand was directed by Brett Ratner and just chuck it under the "Singer's garbage file".
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jaxxx wrote: »
    Why does Fox/Marvel stick B. Singer with the X-Men. I really would like to see someone else take on the mutants.
    also i'm a huge comic Storm fan, did she get a decent portrayal in this film?

    Nope.jpg

    Non-Magneto Horsemen are barely even characters.
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,061
    X2 > any of the newer Xmen flicks.

    DoFP felt like a Roger Moore James Bond movie from the 80s. Like you get some action, some humor bits but you never really take it seriously. First Class was alright and got a free pass because there was a new cast and the Xavier/Eric relationship carried the movie. Other than that, movie is also sorta B movie type, not Green Lantern/Iron Man 2 levels but not great either. The last action sequence of First Class is pretty dope actually.

    X2 actually felt like a comic book movie where everything gets portrayed truthfully to the source material while keeping it realistic for a live action movie. Maybe the secret to all good "comic book" movies is to try to make a decent solid movie first (as in good plot, pace and lines) AND THEN focusing on the hero stuff. I feel like the major failures on this genre (FF4, BvS, GL, X3, etc) started trying to go beyond these factors. "Oh you know what would be sick? To have these two fight against each other at the end! Let's just make up dialogue for 80 mins so we can shoot that fighting scene" "Everyone loves Phoenix, let's just have it destroy stuff and have Wolverine kill her, we'll put boring ass scenes in between to set that up"



    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,905 mod
    (It's rather sad that the 90s X-Men cartoon, for all of its flaws, is probably still the best representation of them around. At least we got X-23 out of X-Men Evolution though.)

    I'll agree that X2 is probably the best in overall aspects. I must admit, however, that I still honestly just like better Days of Future Past between it completely disavowing X3 and Wolverine: Origins simultaneously and also showing how broken someone with super speed & no actual drawback should be even though Quicksilver was apparently added last minute.

    Too bad X-Men: Apocalypse seems intent on killing all goodwill I had from that movie by making this a Jennifer Lawrence vehicle with a large side of tiresome "destruction porn" as filler.

    NAP wrote: »
    The Damned wrote: »
    (Yeah, The Flash is busted. I don't think anyone who knows anything about him would disagree on this except for maybe Batman or Superman (or Green Lantern?) groupies.)

    Even baseline Quicksilver would likely be problematic plot-wise depending on what the problem in the plot is, but The Flash even at his just "runs very fast and doesn't have any other completely broken powers" higher speed limit is already 100 times worse even before you bring the Speed Force bullshit into the equation. It's why if I ever do superhero stuff, then speedsters either fault aren't existing or have some type of (serve) drawback that's actually a drawback.

    The only series I can think of that handled people with super-speed well was/is Worm, where the one character who has super-speed is hindered by having his mass become inversely proportional to his speed, so he basically comes off as an annoying if strong and persistent gust of wind the faster he goes. This as opposed to other characters with super-speed who should be able to murder like half a dozen people in the blink an eye like how Faora-Ul did in Man of Steel and generally be unstoppable by most people in general, super-powered or not, if they're competent; gods, Faora-Ul was the one of the few good things about that terrible movie.

    Faora was probably the best representation of what super speed would look like to a normal human being. I actually liked that quite a bit. One of the few interesting things that movie did.

    Agreed. It also helps that her actress, Antje Traue, seemed skilled and acted appropriately for the scenes she was in rather than Cavill's generally flatter acting and Shannon's generally campier acting.

    It also doesn't hurt that she is very nice to look at...unless you're odin, who apparently has the "misfortune" of supposedly having a lot of cousins who look like her:

    (Gods this picture is huge)
    1015f1d9382583dacb451b0cdc1fc053.jpg

    Azure wrote: »
    The Damned wrote: »
    (Yeah, The Flash is busted. I don't think anyone who knows anything about him would disagree on this except for maybe Batman or Superman (or Green Lantern?) groupies.)

    Even baseline Quicksilver would likely be problematic plot-wise depending on what the problem in the plot is, but The Flash even at his just "runs very fast and doesn't have any other completely broken powers" higher speed limit is already 100 times worse even before you bring the Speed Force bullshit into the equation. It's why if I ever do superhero stuff, then speedsters either fault aren't existing or have some type of (serve) drawback that's actually a drawback.

    The only series I can think of that handled people with super-speed well was/is Worm, where the one character who has super-speed is hindered by having his mass become inversely proportional to his speed, so he basically comes off as an annoying if strong and persistent gust of wind the faster he goes. This as opposed to other characters with super-speed who should be able to murder like half a dozen people in the blink an eye like how Faora-Ul did in Man of Steel and generally be unstoppable by most people in general, super-powered or not, if they're competent; gods, Faora-Ul was the one of the few good things about that terrible movie.

    *snip*

    How Quicksliver doesn't get more respect in the comic books, is beyond me.

    His dad is Mags.

    And his sister - his twin sister - is all sorts of Omega Levels of broken.

    Scarlet Witch is probably some other tier above and beyond Omega, actually.

    Marvel needs to flesh him and his powers out more.

    As it stands, he's pretty much the Morph* of his immediate gene pool.





    *Am fully aware of his being a non-character. That's the joke. (child me nerd raged hard at his being created for the show, far worse even than Wolvie's anemic healing).

    I'm not sure whether you mean in-universe or out of universe, but in-universe, Pietro's own worst enemy when it comes to respect is really himself since he comes off as tremendous asshole a lot of the time. To be fair to the man, he's not nearly as evil as he should be most of the time between the fact that Mags was a hella abusive father figure to him during most of their interactions--especially in the Ultimate universe, dear gods--and the fact that he's basically living the Flash's worst fear daily. By the latter, I mean the fact that the drawback to his power is that everything else moves at slow speed to him, constantly. I honestly don't know how he's not outright insane, really, though I could say that about a lot of comic book characters, so whatever.

    For what it's worth, he was more powerful than Wanda for the longest while before Disassembled happened, which broke-up The Avengers in-comic and was part of what led to the shitty comic book version of Civil War (I). All Wanda used to have was far more unassuming "probability manipulation" over relatively minor aspects rather than out-and-out greater "reality manipulation"; most of her actual power came from training in actual magic, which is basically "reality manipulation" anyway given pretty much no comic book (and the majority of other fictional work) never fully explain (or even appear to think out) their systems of how magic actually work behind the scenes. So he's only been "weak" compared to her for about a decade or so. It's just that said decade was arguably been the most noticeable one for comics as a whole after Iron Man the movie kicked off the comic-book movie revolution. That and the fact that pretty much everyone looks like dog-shit compared to The Flash at his strongest levels.

    Given I don't read super-hero comic books anymore, though, I'm not even sure if Pietro is a) even alive in them still and b) currently still lacking his super-powers of super speed. Does anyone actually know? Or do I have to devil-summon @RockBogart into this thread with doomed hopes he'll tell us?
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,905 mod
    (Blasphemer! Sunder him limb from limb!)

    Seriously, though, is Quicksilver even alive in the comic-books? You'd actually think he'd be the safest mutant, technically, given that he's only one who had a children with an inhuman, but given how poorly that relationship ended....
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • MOB712MOB712 Joined: Posts: 1,244
    RockBogart wrote: »
    Wolverine and The X-Men>All other Xmen shows.

    I know people criticized it because it was Logan front and center once again but I'll be damned if that wasn't a good fucking show.

    Will always be pissed we never got that AoA second season.
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,556
    Emma made that show far more enjoyable than it should've been.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,085
    edited May 2016
    Whoa! What's with all the Singer hate in this thread?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,002 mod
    Azure wrote: »
    How Quicksliver doesn't get more respect in the comic books, is beyond me.

    His dad is Mags.
    That was retconned away and he's no longer biologically Magnus' son (and neither is Wanda, his only living biological child is Polaris).
  • jimmy1200jimmy1200 Joined: Posts: 8,873
    Whoa! What's with all the Singer hate in this thread?

    i5upht.jpg
    LEMME GET DAT!
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,556
    Singer hates Cyclops, he will never really be portrayed properly in one of his movies.

    Besides, Emma Frost is fucked, their relationship made Cyke much more interesting as a character and that's impossible to do now.

    I don't see what they can do with the character anymore other then beating the dead horse of Jean/Scott relationship and maybe some stuff with Corsair. Cable would be extremely awkward since Scott is still a teen and will be a very young adult at best by the next movie.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Singer hates Cyclops, he will never really be portrayed properly in one of his movies.

    Besides, Emma Frost is fucked, their relationship made Cyke much more interesting as a character and that's impossible to do now.

    I don't see what they can do with the character anymore other then beating the dead horse of Jean/Scott relationship and maybe some stuff with Corsair. Cable would be extremely awkward since Scott is still a teen and will be a very young adult at best by the next movie.

    their relationship was only interesting because scott became stale and played out. he hasnt even been given that chance in the movies yet. he was barely the leader before a massive retcon and he wasnt close to the boyscout yet.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,888
    Lantis wrote: »
    So, uh....I don't get it. At the end of DOFP, Mystique (posing as Stryker) rescues Wolverine from the river....only to have Wolvie end up being captured/experimented by the real Stryker anyway. Like WTF SINGER?

    Still waiting on that breakthrough Cyclops performance which will sadly never happen.

    Well yeah...I mean, most people I've talked to/heard talk about DOFP seem to think that bit would've been a lot better if it was actually Striker there instead of Jennifer La-Mystique pretending to be him, lol.
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,556
    maxx wrote: »
    Singer hates Cyclops, he will never really be portrayed properly in one of his movies.

    Besides, Emma Frost is fucked, their relationship made Cyke much more interesting as a character and that's impossible to do now.

    I don't see what they can do with the character anymore other then beating the dead horse of Jean/Scott relationship and maybe some stuff with Corsair. Cable would be extremely awkward since Scott is still a teen and will be a very young adult at best by the next movie.

    their relationship was only interesting because scott became stale and played out. he hasnt even been given that chance in the movies yet. he was barely the leader before a massive retcon and he wasnt close to the boyscout yet.

    Emma being a bitch also helped. She is very enjoyable to read just as a stand alone character, but her bickering with the rest of the X-Men was gold.

    And then Bendis came...
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,905 mod
    edited May 2016
    (I genuinely chuckled at Emma's description of T'Challa's mind.)

    I'm not sure where you guys have been, but Cyclops has always gotten fucked over, non-stop, ever since Wolverine appeared and started getting popular. So as much as Singer is to blame for most of the bad or otherwise mediocre aspects in most of the X-Men movies, he's not to blame for that; if anything, beyond making Scott the younger brother of Alex instead vice versa and thinking Scott's power is a laser beam like everyone else instead of a kinetic force beam, he's actually being accurate there unfortunately. Scott literally just can't win as far as Marvel caring about him is concerned, to the point that it's pretty telling that he basically only stopped getting shit on (as hard) after he basically snapped and (finally) became "evil" so that Wolverine could be presented in an even better light than he already was for being a hairy, midget homewrecker.

    Hell, Scott's relationship with Emma is arguably character derailment for both of them, especially since it was forced on them by the Phoenix from 150 years in the future towards the end of Morrison's run right after Jean died because yet another bad future supposedly would have happened otherwise. [/try taking that true line seriously]

    It doesn't exactly help that there are basically no non-evil therapists in Marvel's universe (beyond Doc Samson?) given that Emma (and probably Scott too) basically is only such a bitch because she a) has untreated survivor's guilt from multiple things, including being present during the whole Genosha genocide thing, and b) expects everyone to hate her anyway, especially given how she was with the Hellfire Club when she met a good majority of the senior X-Men and given how even the closest things she can have to daughters, the Stepford Cuckoos, somewhat hate her too. I mean, it's not like she'd magically become a good person or anything even if her issues were worked out, but from what I remember, during Generation X, she was more or less a decent enough person and teacher compared to how she's basically been reduced to "oh, naughty psychic sexpot in impossible white outfits full of BDSM implications. How empowering!" now.

    Meh. Again, this is part of why I stopped bothering with the Big Two's comic-books: way too much bullshit.

    Whoa! What's with all the Singer hate in this thread?

    The Singer hate in this thread isn't anything new. He's never been much liked around here, though he's not as loathed as some other directors rightfully are like Snyder or Boll.
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,888
    Well yeah, I mean he's certainly not Uwe Boll. Or Michael Bay at that, where pretty much the only good thing he's ever been involved in is Black Sails.
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,519
    Yeah, Cyclops went celibate. Jean needed to get some of that D, so

    3289736-2412295-229px_jean_grey_james_howlett_x_men_vol_2_117_p11_f1.jpg


    3289735-images.jpg
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,905 mod
    (Ugh. That instance of "anyone" in that last post was supposed to be "her anyway". That and other typos have been fixed.)

    Michael Bay also was involved in I Am Number Four, which was decent enough to me, at least compared to the other tripe he's been involved in, but otherwise, yeah, I'd agree he's probably more loathed than Singer around here. He's doubtless more loathed in general given what he did with Pearl Harbor alone, to say nothing of the additional if lesser horrors of the Transformers and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    it was ok

    cgi wasn't that good, but it was ok. I was hype at first because hey, celestials. and thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

    nope lol

    so whatever
    ______________________________________________________________________________

    Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • beesuitbeesuit Joined: Posts: 3,630
    edited May 2016
    Cyclops has to stay ass tier until they can negotiate a deal with
  • KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,560
    Just finished the movie and it was mediocre at best. The movie as a whole wasn't cohesive, and felt like a bunch of ideas just strung together. From a comic lore perspective they fucked up a lot of characters, such as Psylocke, Archangel, and Nightcrawler. Those are some of my favorite characters in the X-Men universe during the early 90s, and this movie doesn't do them justice. With the way they were portrayed in the movie there really wasn't a point to including them outside of fanservice. Michael Fassbender does an amazing job as Magento once more, and he was probably the highlight of the movie for me. He was the only character that got any meaningful development in the movie.
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
  • ZatalconZatalcon Most hated man on SRK Joined: Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    since more people have seen the movie...

    Is this worse than BvS, because I think it is worse.
  • ZatalconZatalcon Most hated man on SRK Joined: Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jaxxx wrote: »
    Why does Fox/Marvel stick B. Singer with the X-Men. I really would like to see someone else take on the mutants.
    also i'm a huge comic Storm fan, did she get a decent portrayal in this film?

    The only character i thought was portrayed well on screen was Magneto and maybe nightcrawler to a degree, the rest were complete garbage.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,835
    So glad the new alice movie came out today also. Now I can see both!
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,560
    RockBogart wrote: »
    I enjoyed the film for the most part. But it really made me think how mediocre the franchise is when compared to Nolan's trilogy and the MCU. My main gripe with this film is Apoc really did nothing, and it all seemed rushed.

    A lot of characters did shit in this movie, imo, but Apocalypse was a big offender. It's mother fucking Apocalypse so he should giving off this omnipotent feeling but he didn't. I think the problem was that they were using Apocalypse as a bit of an origin story for other characters, who are far too young to actually be taking on Apocalypse. Apocalypse should have been done farther down the line but my problem with that is I don't like the majority of the cast choices for the adult X-Men so it would have been worse, imo.

    List of Issues I had with the Movie:
    1) Origins and powers of multiple characters were not faithful to the comics. Yeah, I know hoping for any consistency with the comics was out the window, and deviations from the comics didn't hinder my enjoyment of other comic movies. However, they were using some of my favorite childhood characters, and completely fucked them up. Psylocke's powers are telekinetic and while she is able to form a telekinetic katana later on and do physical damage the movie downplayed her telekinetic powers. She also didn't really have any reasoning to join Apocalypse and generally felt out of character. Nightcrawler's origin is pretty much out the window since Mystique should be his mother and his father Azazel was killed off. Angel being an original member of the X-Men and then getting changed into Archangel only to have a vendetta against Apocalypse afterwards being thrown out the window in this universe.

    2) Weapon X - As someone pointed out earlier, you had Mystique disguised as Stryker picking up Wolverine from the river at the end of Days of Future Past, yet he ends up getting experimented on by the real Stryker. I know they wanted to maintain this part of the story to keep continuity with X2 but ended up with a plot hole instead. The whole scene with Weapon X was more of an Easter egg than an actual setup to anything since the third Wolverine movie is going to take place in the future or something.

    A minor gripe but I wished they kept the full helmet of Weapon X instead of this circlet in the movie. Obviously, they wanted to show off Hugh Jackman's face during the whole sequence due to Star Power and Hollywood. They could have easily done the full helmet and then have Jean take off the helmet at the end of the scene to reveal Logan.

    The entire group didn't seem shocked or scared at the carnage that Wolverine left. It makes no sense for the teenage Scott, Jean, and Kurt to be perfectly fine with all of the killings that occurred. Kurt was the only one showing some sort of shock; however, you would think Jean would have been affected by it more since she ultimately caused the death of those soldiers by releasing Logan.

    3) Phoenix - Origin story is completely off and I don't like them trying to rehash it when it caused X3. It actually felt a cop out so they had some way to kill Apocalypse.

    4) Quicksilver scene - While entertaining it felt like it was included in the mov'hey people loved this scene in days of future past so lets do it again'. Convenient plot device to re-introduce Quicksilver to the story, and have him play a role for the rest of the movie. I'm disappointed they didn't use Scarlet Witch and I thought his new daughter would be Polaris until they jobbed her and her mother.

    5) No cohesion with the movie. It just felt like they jumped from one scene to the next without anything tying the scenes together.
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
  • odinodin crystal clear Joined: Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 2016
    Killey wrote: »
    RockBogart wrote: »
    I enjoyed the film for the most part. But it really made me think how mediocre the franchise is when compared to Nolan's trilogy and the MCU. My main gripe with this film is Apoc really did nothing, and it all seemed rushed.

    A lot of characters did shit in this movie, imo, but Apocalypse was a big offender. It's mother fucking Apocalypse so he should giving off this omnipotent feeling but he didn't. I think the problem was that they were using Apocalypse as a bit of an origin story for other characters, who are far too young to actually be taking on Apocalypse. Apocalypse should have been done farther down the line but my problem with that is I don't like the majority of the cast choices for the adult X-Men so it would have been worse, imo.

    List of Issues I had with the Movie:
    1) Origins and powers of multiple characters were not faithful to the comics. Yeah, I know hoping for any consistency with the comics was out the window, and deviations from the comics didn't hinder my enjoyment of other comic movies. However, they were using some of my favorite childhood characters, and completely fucked them up. Psylocke's powers are telekinetic and while she is able to form a telekinetic katana later on and do physical damage the movie downplayed her telekinetic powers. She also didn't really have any reasoning to join Apocalypse and generally felt out of character. Nightcrawler's origin is pretty much out the window since Mystique should be his mother and his father Azazel was killed off. Angel being an original member of the X-Men and then getting changed into Archangel only to have a vendetta against Apocalypse afterwards being thrown out the window in this universe.

    2) Weapon X - As someone pointed out earlier, you had Mystique disguised as Stryker picking up Wolverine from the river at the end of Days of Future Past, yet he ends up getting experimented on by the real Stryker. I know they wanted to maintain this part of the story to keep continuity with X2 but ended up with a plot hole instead. The whole scene with Weapon X was more of an Easter egg than an actual setup to anything since the third Wolverine movie is going to take place in the future or something.

    A minor gripe but I wished they kept the full helmet of Weapon X instead of this circlet in the movie. Obviously, they wanted to show off Hugh Jackman's face during the whole sequence due to Star Power and Hollywood. They could have easily done the full helmet and then have Jean take off the helmet at the end of the scene to reveal Logan.

    The entire group didn't seem shocked or scared at the carnage that Wolverine left. It makes no sense for the teenage Scott, Jean, and Kurt to be perfectly fine with all of the killings that occurred. Kurt was the only one showing some sort of shock; however, you would think Jean would have been affected by it more since she ultimately caused the death of those soldiers by releasing Logan.

    3) Phoenix - Origin story is completely off and I don't like them trying to rehash it when it caused X3. It actually felt a cop out so they had some way to kill Apocalypse.

    4) Quicksilver scene - While entertaining it felt like it was included in the mov'hey people loved this scene in days of future past so lets do it again'. Convenient plot device to re-introduce Quicksilver to the story, and have him play a role for the rest of the movie. I'm disappointed they didn't use Scarlet Witch and I thought his new daughter would be Polaris until they jobbed her and her mother.

    5) No cohesion with the movie. It just felt like they jumped from one scene to the next without anything tying the scenes together.

    All your points especially 3 and 5 were similar issues I had with BvS.
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    About that Quicksilver scene....
    How did he know the mansion was gonna explode so he could save everybody? Cuz the explosion surged from the Cerebro room, and I doubt Quicksilver had any insight of what was going on down there....
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,905 mod
    (Lantis, why would you have expect logic from a Singer movie?)

    *realizes that RockBogart never answered the Quicksilver question*

    Gods damn it, Rock.

    For the record, Cyclops had Jean Grey, Emma Frost, and friggin' Psylocke....

    Psylocke!!

    *snip*

    ...And? There's a difference between saying "Cyclops never got anything", which is not what I said, and "Cyclops constantly gets shit on by the Marvel universe", which is what I said.

    So he's slept with some (arguably) attractive women. Woo-hoo. Obviously that must mean the rest of his life must be peachy keen since having sex is all that matters apparently. It's so clear now. [/heavy sarcasm]
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • NAPNAP Joined: Posts: 1,812
    Jean Grey is not arguable.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,905 mod
    edited May 2016
    (I think the funniest thing about that response is that I was honestly expecting someone to say the same thing for Psylocke first. Well, that and the fact that almost everything is arguable.)

    I'm not going to bullshit and call any of them ugly, even with the way that Quietly drew women and even though that wouldn't really matter given my sarcasm about the subject, but the same time, I personally find it difficult to find someone harboring world's destroying powers triggered by something as fickle as emotion attractive on any level, even physically. That may just be me though.

    At least agree that Jean Grey is generally better looking than Emma Frost, but that's because a) I've never really been "into" blondes and b) Emma is one of those women who tries way too hard to look attractive when she doesn't really have to do so. She looks better without make-up--seriously, who the fuck wears blue lip-stick without irony?
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse