X-men: Dark Phoenix: (Nov. 2,2018)

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,046
    Magegg wrote: »
    I'd like baby Rogue to absorb Gladiator's powers.

Why not, Rouge during her villain days had absorb Thor's abilities and then proceed to beat the tar out of Captain America and Iron man
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,473
    Okay. This shit has to fucking STOP.

Fox must be stopped, no matter the cost...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    Uh-oh...

Rumours Of A New Fantastic Four Movie From Fox. You Know, For Kids.
    LQcyDr3.png
    Bleeding Cool is receiving reliably sourced information about a new Fantastic Fourmovie being developed at Fox Studios. And while the most recent movie reinvented the Fantastic Four as youngsters, along the lines of the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic book, the movie swings to the other end of the spectrum. Instead, it will concentrate on Franklin and Valeria, the children of Reed Richards and Susan Storm. While still having the Thing and the Human Torch along for the ride.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/20/new-fantastic-four-movie-fox-kids-rumours/
    502681afd3c861163213_1619687849910.jpg

• AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,010
    edited June 21
    this is interesting

That looks interesting and the video was neat but, not something i'd ever have fun with lol.

Singer never got to fucked up the Phoenix saga. X3 was Brett Ratner.

Yes. Now it's singer's turn to ruin it. lol.

Edit: And i loved X-Men 3. It was a fun action movie despite it's problems.

It's like fox had no faith in Brett Ratner to make a GOOD X-Men movie. So they just told him to go balls-out crazy with a summer action flick, that happened to feature the X-Men, and he delivered. To it's credit, the cast turned out great performances despite the script also.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Okay. This shit has to fucking STOP.

Fox must be stopped, no matter the cost...
    Well get on it then.

"Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,814
    edited June 21
    Yes. Now it's singer's turn to ruin it. lol.
    Singer is not doing Dark Phoenix.
    Post edited by Magegg on
    edited June 30
    Gonna milk that cow until it dies, huh?
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/399901-lamar-johnson-joins-x-men-dark-phoenix-in-mystery-role#/slide/1

More importantly...

Random nigga joins XMDP!

Lamar Johnson, star of the BAFTA Award-winning Canadian show The Next Step has joined the cast of the upcoming film X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Let's see if he survives the events of the movie!
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    Gonna milk that cow until it dies, huh?

Oh, I will gladly swallow all that delicious milk.
    They'll just give Pietro's functions to the time stone when people get tired of him... oh wait, he's Fox... he'll never be a function to begin with.
    They'll just give Pietro's functions to the time stone when people get tired of him... oh wait, he's Fox... he'll never be a function to begin with.

Comedy relief/ plot device, that is Pietro's function here.
    Also Fox's Quicksilver might be the more popular of the two, but he also nothing like his comic book counterpart in terms of personality.
    MCU's Quicksilver is closer to the Comic's book's Quicksilver in personality. Quicksliver's first powers isn't super speed but being a jerk to everyone.
    Fox raising its 'Marvel films' slate to 3 movies a year with six new dates announced. Along with their February 14th 2019 movie:
    June 7, 2019
    November 22, 2019
    March 13, 2020
    June 26, 2020
    October 2, 2020
    March 5, in 2021
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/864007-20th-century-fox-sets-six-mystery-marvel-movie-release-dates

My guesses:
    - X-Force
    - Deadpool 3
    - New Mutants 2
    - Fantastic Four Kids
    - Dark Phoenix sequel
    The other two could be X-23 spinoff/Gambit/Alpha Flight/Exiles (pick two of them) or one could be a sort of "mega crossover" movie featuring the X-Men, X-Force and New Mutants all together.

With that each year we would have:
    - 3 MCU movies
    - 3 X-Men movies
    - It looks like Sony wants to release around 2 "Spider-Verse" movies a year
    - Rumors say WB wants 3 to 4 DC movies per year, but because of their production troubles let's leave it at 2
    That would mean we would have 10 to 11 superhero movies from the "Big Two" every year.

But more isn't better
    edited July 1
    No. And too much is bad.

As for Fox, they have a record of probably having 3 movies good per each 2 bad. They're so inconsistent I prefer them to release a lot of movies instead of only one per year, there's more chance they could release things that are worth it or at least more options in less time.

Look at the period between The Last Stand and Wolverine Origins, they released only two movies within that 4 years period and both were bad. Maybe if they had released at least 1 movie per year we could have had some good memory of that period.
    No. And too much is bad.

As for Fox, they have a record of probably having 3 movies good per each 2 bad. They're so inconsistent I prefer them to release a lot of movies instead of only one per year, there's more chance they could release things that are worth it or at least more options in less time.

Look at the period between The Last Stand and Wolverine Origins, they released only two movies within that 4 years period and both were bad. Maybe if they had released at least 1 movie per year we could have had some good memory of that period.

Out of all the fox movies, which do you consider to be bad?
    Out of all the fox movies, which do you consider to be bad?
    Wolverine Origins... and I rewatched X-Men: Apocalypse and the script (and sometimes the direction) really went wrong in many many ways, I totally see how some people consider it a terrible movie.
    Fox made some good movies recently? Where?

Oh, are you talking about complete accidents that were good in spite of that idiot factory like Logan and Deadpool?

Because it damn sure ain't anything with "Fantastic" or "X-men" in the title...
    Days of Future Past was incredible.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    No it wasn't. It was good but it wasn't incredible.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited July 5
    IMO...

I would put First Class, DOFP, Logan, and Deadpool as undeniably excellent.

X2 , wolverine 2 as good 8/10

X1 and apocalypse have problems and are dated but Id put them in my 7 or mildly decent. (Iron Man 3 tier)

The 2 outright bad ones are still X3 and Origins wolverine.

I still feel DOFP is slightly better than the other 3 probably because of my own sensibilities.
    Im not a SUPER deadpool and wolverine fan.
    DOFP was very polished and had some good dramatic/emotional beats, and music with some cool power displays. (quicksilver/Blink).

Scenes like old/young charles talking, Magnus' s takeover of the white house, Quicksilver sequence the climax, logan waking up in the "happy" altered future were my favorites.
    While I wish there were more scenes from the future setting in the film and I think Dinklage was underused, I think it still holds up well.
    Plus, you get to see Halle Berry die! woot!

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    Slightly OT, but I guess this can be the catch-all X-men thread if there are no objections.

This set is Toys R Us exclusive.
    I dont collect non-Transformers stuff, but I may get this if I see it. :tup:

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    edited July 5
    Fox made some good movies recently? Where?

Oh, are you talking about complete accidents that were good in spite of that idiot factory like Logan and Deadpool?

Because it damn sure ain't anything with "Fantastic" or "X-men" in the title...

Out of the 10 Fox X-Men movies thus far:

Deadpool, Logan, DOFP, First Class, and X-Men 1 and X-Men 2 are 5-Star movies.

Wolverine 2, and Apocalypse had issues but were still good overall.

X-Men 3 was decent. Aside from the questionable story and numerous shock value deaths, what saved this one was, that it was still a really entertaining action movie w/X-Men characters. The cast also gave 100% with excellent performances too. So this one gets a pass.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, is really the only legit bad one.

So 9 out of 10 movies, ranging from decent-to-great.

Tell me again why all Fox's movies are bad?
    437284.jpg

I said recently, like within the last 5 years or so.

DOFP came out in 2014, so I'll give you that one... After that, only Deadpool and Logan were worth a shit.

Fox also released the shit piles that were Apocalypse and Fant4stic in this timeframe... Game. Set. Match.

Anyone who tries to argue for X-men 3 is obviously suffering from some terrible bout of Taste Ebola, and there is no negotiating with terrorists of that level.

Good day, sir.
    edited July 5
    I said recently, like within the last 5 years or so.

DOFP came out in 2014, so I'll give you that one... After that, only Deadpool and Logan were worth a shit.

Fox also released the shit piles that were Apocalypse and Fant4stic in this timeframe... Game. Set. Match.

Anyone who tries to argue for X-men 3 is obviously suffering from some terrible bout of Taste Ebola, and there is no negotiating with terrorists of that level.

Good day, sir.

Tis' you sir whom are suffering from Taste Ebola, if you thought Apocalypse was a shitpile. It had it's problems and could have been better but, overall, was good. Just not great.

And i was strictly talking about the X-Men movies, as this is an X-Men thread. Stay on topic please. Nobody gives a damn about Fant4stic.

Edit: I also maintain that despite it's problems, X-Men 3 still had enough redeeming qualities to make it worthwhile. Again, i cite the performances. Famka Jansen's Dark Phoenix for exampled, was pretty good. It's the rest of the movie that was kinda weak. Then you had Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, etc, all bringing their A-game with what they had to work with.
    Fant4stic was a very exceptional case because of the multiple production troubles. I'm sure we'll never see something as bad as that again.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,648
    edited July 5
    X2 DoFP Logan are the best Xmen based movies.
    First Class is pretty ok but not on that level.
    X1 is kinda dated but very decent even for now.
    Wolvie 2 is meh
    Apoc movie was bad. If your IQ is above 70 you can find several reasons why
    X3 was shit
    Wolverine Origins was shit

Alpha Tardy saying Apoc movie was good not great and then defending X3 is the kind of cancer taste you should avoid.
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
    Apocalypse is a really mediocre movie, but only if you consider the excepcionally high standard people have for superhero movies nowadays; the audience that don't care much about superheroes considered it better than decent.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is going to be much worse than Apocalypse, I'm telling you here and now.
    edited July 5
    locoghoul wrote: »
    X2 DoFP Logan are the best Xmen based movies.
    First Class is pretty ok but not on that level.
    X1 is kinda dated but very decent even for now.
    Wolvie 2 is meh
    Apoc movie was bad. If your IQ is above 70 you can find several reasons why
    X3 was shit
    Wolverine Origins was shit

Alpha Tardy saying Apoc movie was good not great and then defending X3 is the kind of cancer taste you should avoid.

Ok. Give me your "expert" analysis on why X3 and Apocalypse were shit. I'm listening.

If you'd honestly place both movies near, if not in the same league, as Origins Wolverine? Then i'm afraid it's you with serious judgement issues.

Worst case scenario, one could rank both movies as just "okay". But to claim they're legit bad and almost on-par with Origins is just laughable and judging both too harshly.
    Post edited by AlphaCharlie on
    edited July 5
    X3 is fucking garbage dude. Awful pacing, shit story telling, bloated cast, dumb as fuck final climax. Movies a mess.

Apocalypse isn't as bad as those two, but it's not particularly good either. Even ok is pushing it. Like Origins is a 0, X3 is a 2 and Apoc is like a 4.
    edited July 5
    Apocalypse is a really mediocre movie, but only if you consider the excepcionally high standard people have for superhero movies nowadays; the audience that don't care much about superheroes considered it better than decent.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is going to be much worse than Apocalypse, I'm telling you here and now.

I think the problem with X-Men Apocalypse is it was just really underwhelming for most. Considering the character and his history, many had HUGE expectations going in. Myself included. It didn't help that movie trailers were hyping it like mad, as if it would be DOFP levels of epic.

However, you can only fit so much in a 2-hour movie. A lot of stuff like his connection to the celestials, time travel, the Dark Riders, Cable, etc, just couldn't be thrown in without it turning into BatmanvSuperman levels of shlock for trying to include too much in a single movie. A GREAT live-action adaptation of the character, would have needed (2) movies at minimum.

What we got instead was like a condensed "hollywood", cliffnotes version of the character. Also i felt he died a little TOO easily in the end. Like the script writers knew they were approaching maximum run-time and needed to wrap things up. So they ended it with him getting beam-supered to death, even though comic book Apocalypse would NEVER go down that easy. I don't know why it was absolutely necessary to kill him at the end anyway. He would have made an excellent recurring villain, and perhaps meet his end more believably, in a future movie. Like getting killed by a full-fledged Dark Phoenix.

So i acknowledge the movie had problems. However, for what we got, it was still pretty good in it's own right. The cast was great, action, performances, costumes, etc. Even though live-action Apocalypse was merely a shadow of his comicbook counterpart, he was still cool. Loved the Olivia Munn casting as Psylocke, even if she barely did anything. They topped the Quicksilver scene in DOFP nicely. Fassbender's Magneto continues to be awesome. Was skeptical about the new Jean Grey and Cyclops but they turned out great, especially liked the Cyclops origin stuff. The Weapon X cameo was really cool to see as well and i like the way they worked it in.

Overall, it was still a good X-Men movie. Even if it didn't live up to the prestige of it's title character.

edited July 5
    Apocalypse did bad choice after bad choice everywhere. From Apocalypse's characterization, the selection of the Horsemen, to the screen time of the 'classic X-Men' (Cyke, Storm, Jean), to very specific direction choices that looked embarrassingly bad.

It was disheartening considering Singer's previous entries of the franchise, a complete disappointment. If it is or it's not a bad X-Men movie it's debatable, but I think it's completely clear it could have been way better than what we got.

I blame the rushed time of writing and production... and Dark Phoenix goes to the same route. Only this time is directed by Kinberg on his directional debut... let's consider this guy's not only a director newbie but it's also rumored he directed Fant4stic after Trank left... so, Dark Phoenix looks like heading to a complete utter disaster.

I'm still going to watch the fuck out of it. In the end, Apocalypse might have been bad, but not insulting to the canon or source material. I'm sure Dark Phoenix will have quite a few things we can salvage.
    Post edited by Magegg on
    Apocalypse did bad choice after bad choice everywhere. From Apocalypse's characterization, the selection of the Horsemen, to the screen time of the 'classic X-Men' (Cyke, Storm, Jean), to very specific direction choices that looked embarrassingly bad.

It was disheartening considering Singer's previous entries of the franchise, a complete disappointment. If it is or it's not a bad X-Men movie it's debatable, but I think it's completely clear it could have been way better than what we got.

I blame the rushed time of writing and production... and Dark Phoenix goes to the same route. Only this time is directed by Kinberg on his directional debut... let's consider this guy's not only a director newbie but it's also rumored he directed Fant4stic after Trank left... so, Dark Phoenix looks like heading to a complete utter disaster.

I'm still going to watch the fuck out of it. In the end, Apocalypse might have been bad, but not insulting to the canon or source material. I'm sure Dark Phoenix will have quite a few things we can salvage.

To add to your statement, The actress for Jean in this was, its her worst performance ever. I expected more from someone with Game of Thrones Cred.

X3 was just garbage on so many levels, not to mention how they butcher so many characters in that crap.
    How they mishandle the whole Phoenix subplot, one of the Best Multiple Story Arcs the Xmen comic ever known was boiled down to a really shitty sub plot.

There was never a good Fantastic 4 Movie, Fox had FOUR chances, yes four, the first was so bad it was never released and you can only find it boot leg.

Days of Future past has issues, but it Retcon some of the worst Xmen movies out. So it gets a pass.
    The only Good Wolverine Movie was Logan, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a shit stain, and The Wolverine made no fucking sense. All it did was open plot holes the series didn't need.

Logan is a glorious accident as they decide to make it a Western instead of a Super Hero movie
    DeadPool only works as God's Perfect Idiot leaked test footage and pretty much strong arm his way to running the film his way instead of How Fox wanted it done.
    Reynolds also played the part of Deadpool as himself rather then adapt himself to the character. Which also worked with Robert Downey Jr. playing Stark as Himself.
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 891
    People setting themselves up for Dark Phoenix.

You know how Apocalypse was disappointing, the same will happen for this movie. Expect a rushed ending where the Dark Phoenix IN ALL IT'S POWER is killed by a bullet or some shit.

My opinion on Logan, since I haven't posted in this thread in forever: very VERY solid movie. Not a comic book movie doe. The movie was so good because of the low expectations coming in, being rated R and Wolverine name recognition... I'm rambling a bit but if the same movie was NOT under the Wolverine name, no one would give a shit and the movie would sink at the box office, even though it's a solid movie.

So in other words, it's very strong for a comic book movie and it would be a real average movie if it were about some guy and some kid who go on a killing spree... which the movie is about, expect with Wolverine and X-23 in it. Add in Picard, because he's good in any movie he plays to make it more theatrical aaaaand that's it. Oh yeah there's also some "mutant" who can sense other mutants, he will be in the movie for 10 minutes. Everyone else is human... besides the last scene with the kids that lasted 5 minutes. This movie is REALLY removed from mutants and superheroes. Fuck... the more I write about this the more I realize this movie would have bombed pretty hard if it weren't under the X-Men franchise, even though it has almost nothing to do with the X-Men franchise.

"Hey you wanna go see a movie about Wolverine and X-23 going all out?"
    "FUCK YEAH!"

VS

"Hey you wanna go see a remake of the Professional?"
    "Nahhhh..."

Maybe... this can be said about all movies... hmm...
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "fag".
    I enjoyed The Wolverine. It was really entertaining. It didn't put itself any goal or aspiration but as a one-off, that's not necessarily bad.
    I dislike that Tony Stark is not an alcoholic in the movies... Especially since RDJ is a junkie/alcoholic himself...
    What? Yes he is.
    That was Tony being drunk once, alcoholism is different from being drunk AT A PARTY. Plus IM2 sucked
    Tony's alcoholism is not that recurring in the comic books, if you check. Putting that in every movie would be boring.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,656 mod
    (Yeah, I've already written off X-Men: Dark Phoenix, especially if Jennifer Lawrence's arrogant ass is still involved.)

To be fair, unless it got changed post-Battleworld bullshit, then Tony Stark has been a recovered alcoholic who avoids drinking in the comics for literally decades. I don't know if that still applies though given I haven't kept up with comic books for over a decade.

That was Tony being drunk once, alcoholism is different from being drunk AT A PARTY. Plus IM2 sucked

Uh...no it isn't. Alcoholism is, by its literal definition, based solely upon whether one abuses alcohol or not. Just because it's a party doesn't mean that it's an excuse to get ragingly drunk.

I'm not even sure why you want him to be drunk more. What would that have actually added to any of the movies? And when would they have found the time to focus on it?

Finally, by your own words, given Robert Downey Jr. is a recovered (read: recovering) addict in real life, maybe he's just too uncomfortable playing someone who is more obviously an addict, even if it's a different type of drug. I mean, to get over the harder drug habit, Mr. Downey basically had to go and make himself addicted to coffee instead since recovery is a constant process.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Nigga wut

Alcoholism is an addiction to alcohol. You can be sober rn and still be an alcoholic. Check your online Webster again please. Once you are an alcoholic, there is no turning back. Being drunk at a party (where such behavior is not uncommon in case you haven't been to one in years) doesn't turn anyone into an alcoholic lmao.
    edited July 9
    I think people need to realize that the X-men stories just aren't that good to begin with... Yes, even Dark Phoenix and Days of Future Past.

The characters themselves are very compelling and deep, but the actual plots they find themselves in are some of the most convoluted and silly shit in comics.

Claremont to this day is the only writer that could take all that silly shit and make it work due to his understanding and focus on the X-men as characters.

Notice how the best X-films are the ones that scale back on all that world ending silliness and just focused on letting the characters be themselves.
    the whole XMen premise allows for good storylines (outcasts trying to fit in, intolerance, self acceptance, etc). A revamped senator Kelly/Magneto storyline could work better than Dark Phoenix goes to space feat. cosplay mutants/characterizations...

Moira/Nuir Island have also been excluded from movies. Same with Siniestro, Omega Red, etc.
    the whole XMen premise allows for good storylines (outcasts trying to fit in, intolerance, self acceptance, etc).
    Yeah, because we haven't seen enough of that in the movie series.
    Moira/Nuir Island have also been excluded from movies. Same with Siniestro, Omega Red, etc.
    Moira is there in some form. Dude, there's only so much characters you can include in a limited number of movies. The actual problem of X3 is that it tried to include too many characters in the same movie without making them special (remember the characters of Angel, Psylocke, Juggernaut, the Morlocks?).

Sure they're taking their time to adapt each character, that's better than just putting half a dozen in a bag and including them ASAP.