X-men: Dark Phoenix: (Nov. 2,2018)

1373839404143»

Comments

• tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gotta disagree, X-men stories are that good. That's one of the reasons they made it big since the 90's, and Marvel has been doing everything possible to make them lesser than they were. See the recent B.S. that is Avengers VS X-Men.

About the movies, well, what do these movie directors know about the comics, really?

i concur. chris claremont, john byrne, warren ellis and fabian nicieza to name a few set the x-books on course for greatness.
    with a melting pot of stories that had layers upon layers of themes and topics that were socially relevant at the time, it was groundbreaking and made for a compelling read.

since films/movies are a different beast altogether, it will be hit or miss as evidenced by the history of x-men related movies show.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,648
    Magegg wrote: »
    locoghoul wrote: »
    Moira/Nuir Island have also been excluded from movies. Same with Siniestro, Omega Red, etc.
    Moira is there in some form. Dude, there's only so much characters you can include in a limited number of movies. The actual problem of X3 is that it tried to include too many characters in the same movie without making them special (remember the characters of Angel, Psylocke, Juggernaut, the Morlocks?).

Sure they're taking their time to adapt each character, that's better than just putting half a dozen in a bag and including them ASAP.

I'm not talking of putting Omega Red with Siniestro and Magneto together rofl. But like a Siniestro movie could be a better direction. Main issue with Apoc movie was throwing some noobie mutants that can't even control their powers into their biggest enemy. Now instead of letting the new cast to establish and develop you just throw them in space against the most powerful entity in the universe... Very logical
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • DGod205DGod205 The Soul of Kyokugenryu Joined: Posts: 2,455
    Honestly, I get the feeling more being at stake in an X-Men story than I do in an Avengers story. Really, there's no real reason that I should give a damn about a group of bland supervillains like HYDRA, because they always have stock goals that have been repeated (world domination), with agents I can't take seriously, nor care about on any level.
    CvS2-Ken Joe Geese
    MvC2- Guile Gambit Jin---OR---Cable Cyclops Sentinel
    USFIV- Ken, Poison, Rolento, Makoto, Guy, Cody
    MK9- Cage Scorpion Reptile Raiden Mileena
    TT2- Law & Heihachi
    DOA5 Ultimate- Jann Lee Hyabusa Hitomi Ayane
    VF5FS- Jacky Kage Vanessa Brad Goh
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,010
    edited July 12
    People setting themselves up for Dark Phoenix.

You know how Apocalypse was disappointing, the same will happen for this movie. Expect a rushed ending where the Dark Phoenix IN ALL IT'S POWER is killed by a bullet or some shit.

My opinion on Logan, since I haven't posted in this thread in forever: very VERY solid movie. Not a comic book movie doe. The movie was so good because of the low expectations coming in, being rated R and Wolverine name recognition... I'm rambling a bit but if the same movie was NOT under the Wolverine name, no one would give a shit and the movie would sink at the box office, even though it's a solid movie.

So in other words, it's very strong for a comic book movie and it would be a real average movie if it were about some guy and some kid who go on a killing spree... which the movie is about, expect with Wolverine and X-23 in it. Add in Picard, because he's good in any movie he plays to make it more theatrical aaaaand that's it. Oh yeah there's also some "mutant" who can sense other mutants, he will be in the movie for 10 minutes. Everyone else is human... besides the last scene with the kids that lasted 5 minutes. This movie is REALLY removed from mutants and superheroes. Fuck... the more I write about this the more I realize this movie would have bombed pretty hard if it weren't under the X-Men franchise, even though it has almost nothing to do with the X-Men franchise.

"Hey you wanna go see a movie about Wolverine and X-23 going all out?"
    "FUCK YEAH!"

VS

"Hey you wanna go see a remake of the Professional?"
    "Nahhhh..."

Maybe... this can be said about all movies... hmm...

Logan was a 5-star movie all the way. For Hugh Jackman's last portrayal, he went out on top. Dafne Keen was fantastic also. Haven't seen a breakout role for a child actor that good since the chick who played "Hitgirl" in the first kickass movie.

As for the Dark Phoenix flick, i'm guessing it won't be a proper adaptation but, a more "original" story cooked up for the movie. Like X-Men 3 had. We won't be seeing the Shi'ar empire, space battles, M'Krann Crystal or any of that other stuff.

As good as the X-Men movies have been, their "scope" was always small. You'll never see epic space battles, or fights on other planets, in a Fox X-Men movie. They'll always find a way to contain it on earth in minimal settings.

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,046
    People setting themselves up for Dark Phoenix.

You know how Apocalypse was disappointing, the same will happen for this movie. Expect a rushed ending where the Dark Phoenix IN ALL IT'S POWER is killed by a bullet or some shit.

My opinion on Logan, since I haven't posted in this thread in forever: very VERY solid movie. Not a comic book movie doe. The movie was so good because of the low expectations coming in, being rated R and Wolverine name recognition... I'm rambling a bit but if the same movie was NOT under the Wolverine name, no one would give a shit and the movie would sink at the box office, even though it's a solid movie.

So in other words, it's very strong for a comic book movie and it would be a real average movie if it were about some guy and some kid who go on a killing spree... which the movie is about, expect with Wolverine and X-23 in it. Add in Picard, because he's good in any movie he plays to make it more theatrical aaaaand that's it. Oh yeah there's also some "mutant" who can sense other mutants, he will be in the movie for 10 minutes. Everyone else is human... besides the last scene with the kids that lasted 5 minutes. This movie is REALLY removed from mutants and superheroes. Fuck... the more I write about this the more I realize this movie would have bombed pretty hard if it weren't under the X-Men franchise, even though it has almost nothing to do with the X-Men franchise.

"Hey you wanna go see a movie about Wolverine and X-23 going all out?"
    "FUCK YEAH!"

VS

"Hey you wanna go see a remake of the Professional?"
    "Nahhhh..."

Maybe... this can be said about all movies... hmm...

Logan was a 5-star movie all the way. For Hugh Jackman's last portrayal, he went out on top. Dafne Keen was fantastic also. Haven't seen a breakout role for a child actor that good since the chick who played "Hitgirl" in the first kickass movie.

As for the Dark Phoenix flick, i'm guessing it won't be a proper adaptation but, a more "original" story cooked up for the movie. Like X-Men 3 had. We won't be seeing the Shi'ar empire, space battles, M'Krann Crystal or any of that other stuff.

As good as the X-Men movies have been, their "scope" was always small. You'll never see epic space battles, or fights on other planets, in a Fox X-Men movie. They'll always find a way to contain it on earth in minimal settings.

Comparing the new Pheonix saga to X-Men 3 is not what any real X-Men fan wanted to hear.

Also some of the best X-Men story arcs were always in space. Phoenix Saga, Dark Pheonix Saga (yes they are two separate stories), The Brood, the Phalanx, battle world, hell the X-man Cipher only exist as a plot device so the X-Men can communicate with Aliens.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,274
    Left Unresolved – What’s the Deal With Apocalypse and the Celestials?

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2016/05/27/left-unresolved-whats-the-deal-with-apocalypse-and-the-celestials/

apocalypsecelestialdisplay.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=50&w=619&h=325&fit=crop

You never see the celestials "speaking" to lesser beings, and yet they do it with Apocalypse.
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    New visor design for Cyclops?
    DEp4tz_QUIAAM2_Eg.jpg
    DErgdqz_Vw_AAo_Tnh.jpg

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,656 mod
    edited July 15
    (Isn't Apocalypse essentially "borrowing" Celestial tech on top of being a mutant, which is/was a Celestial project? I'm pretty sure that's the case or , at least, that it was. So it's not that surprising that they have a direct line to him since he's essentially their bitch as much as he wants to overthrow them and rails about "survival of the fittest".)

Okay. There's something else that's been bugging me about this upcoming Dark Phoenix debacle movie: why is this even talking place in space?

Like...the majority of the original saga took place on Earth (which is basically the only thing that X3's horrible self got right) except for the last part on the moon and of course Dark Phoenix briefly fucking off into space to eat a star, which is what pisses off the Shi'ar in the first place. If anything, then the main focus of this movie should be around the Hellfire Club and it corrupting Jean, even if they'd have to switch out the White Queen character for someone else since Emma Frost is dead (ha) in this continuity.

Sigh. This is just another reason why I have no hope for this movie.

locoghoul wrote: »
    Nigga wut

Alcoholism is an addiction to alcohol. You can be sober rn and still be an alcoholic. Check your online Webster again please. Once you are an alcoholic, there is no turning back. Being drunk at a party (where such behavior is not uncommon in case you haven't been to one in years) doesn't turn anyone into an alcoholic lmao.

I meant in the sense that just being at a party isn't an excuse to be drunk, though I will admit that this is also a personal judgment since I never liked drinking or parties in the first place and always found poisoning yourself just to be able to have "fun" around people curious, to be polite about it. Drinking at a party is fine I guess even if it's not for me, but we both know that just having some drinks (at a party) is not the same thing as getting drunk (at one) even if, yeah, it happens even to non-alcoholics.

Anyway, yes, otherwise I agree and I will admit that I explained that poorly. Still, what you say is exactly, again, why I find it weird that you wanted more focus on him being an alcoholic in the movies in the first place given since outside of him being wasted in the movies half of the time or taking up precious time to talk about it, there's no "obvious" way to focus on that. As you say, he would still be an alcoholic while he's sober, but it's not like most audiences understand that since people are dumb, so if they did really want to focus on it, then they would have to be more obvious about it than they currently are, especially since you think that he currently is one. So I'm glad they don't focus on it.

Regardless, what I was ultimately trying to get at with that poor attempt at a correction is that I'm pretty sure MCU Tony is still an alcoholic. It's just that they don't focus on it for the most part, which is understandable since in most instances it's not that important and they don't actually have time for it on top of that. [/X-Men thread so hopeless we're talking about the MCU it should be a part of in here.]
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,648
    Alcohol is a escape for some when having to deal with personal issues or trauma. Tony originally built Iron man suit after being kidnapped, then he finds his technology is responsible for thousands of deaths all over the world. Throw in whatever MCU Avengers psychological baggage you want and we have a person that should be at least contemplating a bottle amidst these issues. I mean, Disney with its PG-13 could be sending a message out there about not giving in and have him deal with his problems in a different way. In that horrible movie called IM3: Miami Vice edition, he mentioned "when I'm stressed/anxious I build things" just a line before that asking for a drink and THEN showing how he can build to keep himself busy is a very minor but clever way to solve what I've been asking.
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Damned wrote: »
    (Isn't Apocalypse essentially "borrowing" Celestial tech on top of being a mutant, which is/was a Celestial project? I'm pretty sure that's the case or , at least, that it was. So it's not that surprising that they have a direct line to him since he's essentially their bitch as much as he wants to overthrow them and rails about "survival of the fittest".)

borrowed or stole celestial tech depending on what version you read.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,010
    edited July 17
    New visor design for Cyclops?
    DEp4tz_QUIAAM2_Eg.jpg
    DErgdqz_Vw_AAo_Tnh.jpg

Not sure how to feel about that one. A little too minimalistic. Perhaps it's made to be worn as at all times, and he gets the cooler visor after suiting up?

It's a little too "Geordi La Forge" also.

I liked the one he had at the end of the movie better:

4560681b94d67664117262ee1e4c53d0.jpg
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,814
    That reminds me when can we finally have FORGE in the movies?

Hopefully by the X-Force movie we could have him, played by Danny Trejo, please.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,461
    a Jubilee movie would so dominate
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://universoxmen.com.br/2017/07/fenix-negra-nova-chamada-de-elenco-procura-um-homem-sikh-com-turbante/

Probably the wackiest casting call for this movie lol.

At least Sonicabid has a chance at stardom now

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://universoxmen.com.br/2017/07/fenix-negra-nova-chamada-de-elenco-procura-um-homem-sikh-com-turbante/

Probably the wackiest casting call for this movie lol.

At least Sonicabid has a chance at stardom now

random...sounds like a minor speaking role but nothing crazy.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/