Shattered - New Fighting Game in Development

phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 642
edited October 2014 in Fighting Game Discussion
Hey everybody,

Me and a small group of dedicated Dutch fighting game enthusiasts, have been working for some time on a new sprite-based fighting game named Shattered. We've recently started a development blog, that talks about the design, and shows of our engine and artwork.

Right now we're closing in on finishing off our initial first Alpha of the game, with our first character, Julia, fully functioning, and all the gameplay systems in place.

You can check out our blog at: http://blog.team18k.com/

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter, where we post some smaller updates on our game: https://www.facebook.com/ShatteredFighter & https://twitter.com/Team18K

The team currently consists of four members:
Bob Sagat - Our amazing animator, also known for his amazing Red Fight District trailer and several, cool combo videos.
FTPlus - Engine & Tools guy. He makes sure the things that are supposed to work actually work.
Coal - Game Design, Art Direction and Story.
Phoenix - Me, who takes care of game design, and character scripting, hitbox placement, and all those fighting game details that I am into.

If you have any questions or comments, be sure to lets us know!

For now, I'll leave you guys with a vid of some Shattered gameplay at the Red Fight District tournament!

We also keep a playlist with all the media we've released on Shattered:
Post edited by phoenixnl on

Comments

• ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    The animation is fantastic. If you need any advice I have no problem throwing some experience your way.
    You have a lot of work ahead of you. Best of luck!
  • ffffffffffffff Joined: Posts: 155
    Also after hitstun and blockstun you will be invincible to throws for a few frames.

Lame

Game sounds/looks really interesting so far, and generally your design philosophy sounds great.

Any chance of some more in-depth dev blogs as to how you went about either programming or creating some of the assets, if your team has the time? I'm just touching the surface of game creation myself, and learning how all the sprite animations get put together, for example, would be really interesting.

Good luck with the project.
  • AnotakAnotak mad scientist Joined: Posts: 1,890
    looks really nice, im glad you have team members it is hard to find people willing to work on this stuff for little money (speaking from experience)

i have some experience with fg design and fg engine programming also, so same as zinac if you got any questions about stuff or anything
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,810
    Yo good luck Phoenix, the few bits you have look cool and I love the artstyle.

Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    From those videos, it looks like 4-button game, correct?
    Good luck with your project. Julia looks great! I like that bow that she uses.
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Team triple terror for MvCi Joined: Posts: 2,608 mod
    Ah, the eventual SRk thread.. Gotta show my support for my fellow Dutchmen
    "Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
  • AnhVuDoAnhVuDo Joined: Posts: 190
    Oh joy! I can't wait to see more characters!
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    Cool, good luck! Finally a female shoto!

Just wanted to add that your proposed throw data is almost identical to Persona 4 Arena, so if you wanted to see an example of how it works in practice, you could check out that game.

You should paste your design philosophy into the OP so people know what your game is about.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
  • Spiral0ArchitectSpiral0Architect Joined: Posts: 603
    Game has an archer? I'm down.
    USFIV: Yun, Vega, Bison :: SFxT: Bison/Chun-Li :: UMvC3: Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye :: TTT2: Dragunov/Leo
  • rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,929
    congrats
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
  • MetallixMetallix Lilly, Not Changed a Bit Joined: Posts: 135
    You're already off to a strong start. The setting sounds quite intriguing.
    PSN ID: XaltMile
    May eventually play fighters again
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 642
    fffffff wrote: »
    Any chance of some more in-depth dev blogs as to how you went about either programming or creating some of the assets, if your team has the time? I'm just touching the surface of game creation myself, and learning how all the sprite animations get put together, for example, would be really interesting.

If that's what people are interested in, I'm sure we can think of some stuff to write about. We are a bit wary about becoming too technical because that might also scare off some people.
    Lemres wrote: »
    From those videos, it looks like 4-button game, correct?

Indeed!
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Also I know you want to make Julia the beginer shoto character but maybe try and incorporate something that might make her also a good choice for intermediate/advanced players as well, some kind of system specific to her that gives her an edge if the player is good enough.
    I'm not sure if I understand this. Ryu, in none of the fighting games (unless you think having j.MP that juggles counts) has a 'system specific' thing to make him interesting. He's the most basic character in basically any game he is in, nevertheless it's not like he is uninteresting to intermediate/advanced players. Depth in such a character is knowing his/her ins and outs, and there is plenty of room for that also with Julia. For example, Julia can dodge some fireballs with her cr.HK, and has several counterhit-only combos.
    You guys familiar with Lars Anderson, he is kinda famous for investigating and bringing back ancient archery tech that allows people to do shit they haven't been able to for a long time.
    Funnily enough, someone has mentioned him to us before. We are certainly not going to use the archery tech in our game. The point of a shoto fireball is that it has fairly short startup, and long recovery; This 'bad' technique is 1. More iconic to players and 2. the 'bad' technique's inefficiency maps better to the frame data that you'd expect from a shoto fireball.

Edit: is this a weapon based fighter? getting a strong Samurai Shodown vibe here lol, that's gonna have to play alot differently
    It's not strictly a weapon-based fighter. Julia fights with a weapon, and quite a few other characters do too. But there are also characters that do not.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,758 mod
    If you are being thrown, you can break the throw (but not special throws!) by pressing the two punch buttons, in a small window at the start of a throw. We have not yet decided how big this window will be, but we are currently prototyping with 12 frames, which can be reacted to if you are really on point. If this turns out to make throws too weak, we will make this window smaller.
    Any chance you can make it so that the window is bigger during the startup frames of the throw, before it connects so that it's better to predict them than to react. IIRC, this is how 3rd Strike handled throw techs (something like 6 frames before and 2 frames after) and this is what inspired Mike Z to do the same system for Skullgirls.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,814
    I was wondering what Bob Sagat was up to. That guy used to make me laugh a lot on here.

Good stuff, guys.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,227
    The animation looks great! My only critique is that the idle animation is only 1 frame lol. And while I understand you want the main character to be a shoto I think you guys could spice her up a bit with some bow and arrow tricks... Like maybe different ammo types or being able to shoot different angles etc.
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    edited December 2013
    Time for me to stop lurking (have been doing that on and off for some years) and actually sign up. Heya!

As the OP said, I'm also part of the team. Was involved in a big part of the system and character designs, both in terms of gameplay as well as appearance. I tend to leave things unfinished, so I drop my half thought out ideas in Phoenix his lap for him to decide on the intricate details and frame data. He should be the guy answering all the little detailed stuff, other than that, just shoot!
    The animation looks great! My only critique is that the idle animation is only 1 frame lol.

Don't worry. We actually have a longer one, but for some reason nobody bothered to put it into the alpha mockup engine yet. Should be fixed as soon as we start our first location tests.
    And while I understand you want the main character to be a shoto I think you guys could spice her up a bit with some bow and arrow tricks... Like maybe different ammo types or being able to shoot different angles etc.

Funny that you mention that. She originally had different angles and air fireballs... ehh... arrows. For now we will keep it as it is and focus on other characters, if she turns out to be bland next to the other fighters we will probably reevaluate and change. Or just make some shitty EX-version :P
    Post edited by COAL on
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
  • _Tobias__Tobias_ Joined: Posts: 2
    Sweet animations and art.
    21.jpg
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    The artstyle looks good, but those animation samples look too stiff if your going to be using the pieces over the sprite be sure those pieces are moving to hide it better.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

• JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    making someone familiar and easy too pick up shouldn't be a reason to not give a character depth.

I don't think you know what depth means.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    edited December 2013
    @angelpalm

Ouch, I should have known that casually joking on a forum would bite me in the ass. I'm sorry that the 'shitty' and the emoticon weren't enough indication that I wasn't really serious on the last part of my comment.

Joking aside, I don't completely agree with you overal but thats fine. I don't think its fair to say that a character having a basic moveset makes him/her lacking in depth, there have been ample examples where those characters had sufficient depth. Wether we actually succeeded giving her depth is another question, which I obviously can't answer yet.

The fact that you are seemingly done with games having 'ryu clones' is another thing, I'm willing to accept your opinion on the matter but thats not going to change our view that we wanted a character true to the core of these types of fighters for balance and testing purposes, her implementation has helped us a great deal in finding out what we can do and how to tackle issues in our engine. I think our upcoming characters have enough interesting mechanics to make up for her being 'boring', if we ever find out that she DOES feel lacking she will certainly be up for a remake before the game is fully released.

I personally believe we are going the 'whole 9 yards', the problem with a kickstarter at this point in time though is that I don't think we have shown enough of the game to convince people to invest money, to show them that we are serious. There have been other (fighting) games that made the same mistake and I'm not willing to take that risk. We are just starting to show the world our progress on our way to take that step.
  • MOB712MOB712 Joined: Posts: 1,243
    I don't agree at all that ppl don't want to play with characters that don't have some intricate unique system to their playstyle. That's not at all indicative of whether or not a character has depth.

I don't know where this mindset comes from. Every fighting game doesn't have to be like Marvel in the creation of its characters.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 24,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    COAL wrote: »
    angelpalm

I guess what I mean is that sure you want to make your game accessible to casuals but you have to think, casuals don't really play 2d fighters. You gotta look at your actual target audience, and your target audience in one that has been shoto cloned to death. All I was suggesting is give your some more diversity in her moveset in a way that makes it both easier on you guys to gauge your data and give the hardcore crowd something refreshing to work with. Not trying to be a downer just trying to help with some ideas because I really want you guys to succeed please believe.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Poonix, how long until there's doujin of your team's game? I wanna fap to it already.
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,425
    What platform(s) are you planning on putting this game out on? Looks pretty good so far, looking forward to seeing more!
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    Is anyone else getting a Disney vibe from that archer girl?
    Dammit! Now I want her super to have her break out in song.
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    I'm down with any crew that represents my man Bob Sagat.
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    Brave_Poster.jpg

• phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 642
    I guess what I mean is that sure you want to make your game accessible to casuals but you have to think, casuals don't really play 2d fighters. You gotta look at your actual target audience, and your target audience in one that has been shoto cloned to death.

We're aware that casuals don't really play 2D fighters (except, I guess, sf4 for a given amount of "play"), and you're right that it's futile to pander to that demographic. But I don't think I agree with your opinion that the hardcore crowd doesn't want to see a shoto clone. I want to see a shoto clone. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me to think that other people would want to play a shoto clone too. And shoto's can have plenty of depth without having anything 'spicy' and 'new' to shake them up.

As you are aware you haven't seen any specific properties of her 'basic' moveset yet, I'm confident that there is plenty of room for mastery in minute details of the character for it to be interesting to a hardcore player.

Awesome!
    jedpossum wrote: »
    The artstyle looks good, but those animation samples look too stiff if your going to be using the pieces over the sprite be sure those pieces are moving to hide it better.

I am not sure what you're saying. This post seems to imply that the animations use like 'paperdoll' animations, kinda like Rumble Fish? If that's what you mean, I'm not sure what gave you that impression, because that's certainly not what we're doing. Youtube sadly eats 50% of the animation frames in our game, because it doesn't support 60fps, this makes the animations look a lot choppier than they are in game, maybe that is give you that impression.

Incidentally, I'm open to suggestions on how to make Youtube animations look smoother. It'd probably look a little better if you'd somehow blend two frames together into one. On the other hand, it'd loose some of the graphical fidelity that the sprite animations give you. There's no 60fps video service around anymore is there?
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    edited December 2013
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    Incidentally, I'm open to suggestions on how to make Youtube animations look smoother. It'd probably look a little better if you'd somehow blend two frames together into one. On the other hand, it'd loose some of the graphical fidelity that the sprite animations give you. There's no 60fps video service around anymore is there?

Don't use motion blurring, it will look really bad with sprite animations. I don't know of any video hosting sites that allow 60fps, but one thing you could do is stream everything at 60fps on Twitch and use highlighting to cut out the parts you want to link.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
  • gigglepiesgigglepies Joined: Posts: 61
    looks really good
    edited December 2013

I guess her opening animation outfit has a bit of a mary poppins vibe going?
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    What platform(s) are you planning on putting this game out on? Looks pretty good so far, looking forward to seeing more!

Primarily its going to be a pc thing. But we would like to expand to consoles depending on demand and funding.
    Post edited by COAL on
  • MooiboyRoyMooiboyRoy Dutch Beast Joined: Posts: 387
    Good stuff guys, I'm hyped to test the alpha version
    MBR represented by LowLandLions
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    Bob is impressive as always.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
    You watch too much Star Trek homie.
    COAL wrote: »
    You watch too much Star Trek homie.
    I'm not even a fan.