Shattered - New Fighting Game in Development

Comments

• phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 640
    deadfrog wrote: »
    ...Stuff about style...

The attack animations generally feel like they carry a lot of weight behind them. Really going out on a limb: I probably have a bias here (ST!!!) but... are you guys currently thinking you'll use longer-than-average hitstop?

First of all, it's even better that you were working on that post before our post, that way we have "confirmation" so to speak, that we're communicating it well.

As for the hitstop/freeze: Hitstop will be variable per attack strength (unlike ST and KOF98). Hitstop is currently subject to change. It used to range from 7 frames to 15 frames, and it currently ranges from 8 frames to 12 frames. So I guess that qualifies as 'shorter-than-avarage' to a ST-biased player ;-)

Especially some of the higher strength of attacks (like her tatsu) looked kind of funny with very high hitstop (it used to be 13 frames, now it's 11). But it's something we'll experiment with, and see how we and testers feel about it.
  • ascensionXascensionX Joined: Posts: 404
    What you have show looks good.
    Support the Ascension X Project https://facebook.com/AscensionX2013 and follow us on twitter https://twitter.com/chrissanders3
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Thanks deadfrog, that's exactly what they asked me to do. :)
    Thank you ascensionX.

(No more like button all of a sudden?)
    Roald Dhalsim
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    As for the hitstop/freeze
    That's awesome, I actually really like that you're trying it out to see what feels right for your game. (And for what it's worth, I love the feel of Melty too, and that game has like the shortest hitstop ever.)
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    ...Stuff about style...

The attack animations generally feel like they carry a lot of weight behind them. Really going out on a limb: I probably have a bias here (ST!!!) but... are you guys currently thinking you'll use longer-than-average hitstop?

First of all, it's even better that you were working on that post before our post, that way we have "confirmation" so to speak, that we're communicating it well.

As for the hitstop/freeze: Hitstop will be variable per attack strength (unlike ST and KOF98). Hitstop is currently subject to change. It used to range from 7 frames to 15 frames, and it currently ranges from 8 frames to 12 frames. So I guess that qualifies as 'shorter-than-avarage' to a ST-biased player ;-)

Especially some of the higher strength of attacks (like her tatsu) looked kind of funny with very high hitstop (it used to be 13 frames, now it's 11). But it's something we'll experiment with, and see how we and testers feel about it.

Are you planning on some frame skip to be in the game like the Capcom games? 12 can become 7 really easily with it.

Hit stop being global value was more a hardware limitation than a design choice. Marvel 2 had where it could be different per attack.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

jedpossum wrote: »
    Are you planning on some frame skip to be in the game like the Capcom games? 12 can become 7 really easily with it.

Nope, we're not doing any frame skip, every frame processed will be drawn on the screen, so that's nothing to worry about at least.

edited January 2014
    Hey everybody, it's been a while since we updated, due to the holidays getting in the way. But that certainly doesn't mean we've been sitting on our asses.

We've decided to finally show off the game system, which has now be added as a page to our website: http://blog.team18k.com/system/

Note that quite a few of the systems are still subject to change, and we will be iterating designs and decisions as when we get feedback from upcoming playtests experimenting with these different systems.

We've also been making some great progress on the engine and some of the animations, which we'll be showing off soon.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    I don't like the idea of the "Shatter" gauge filling on hit. It sounds like a guard gauge, which a lot of games have, but you shouldn't make it harder for someone to defend after they eat a big combo. Just my two cents.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    It's basically a stun gauge.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    edited January 2014
    Celerity wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of the "Shatter" gauge filling on hit. It sounds like a guard gauge, which a lot of games have, but you shouldn't make it harder for someone to defend after they eat a big combo. Just my two cents.

On block, I think you mean. I understand your concern, and yes it combines both a stun gauge and a guard crush gauge into one system, which definitely favors the person on offense more than the defender. But, it technically isn't more punishing than having both stun and guard as separate systems within a game, as long as the amount of damage it does is balanced well.

Consider a scenario in a game that has both stun and guard crush (like KOF98 or KOFXIII for example). You eat a big combo, so your stun is up. The high damage combo probably ended in a knockdown, so the opponent gets to continue pressure, which means you take Guard crush damage. Most games that have stun values won't let your stun go down when you're blocking either. So while your blocking both your stun bar isn't emptying, and your guard gauge is going down. Stopping to block gives a chance of stun, continuing to block gives a chance of guard crush. That is technically the same outcome as when you merge the two resources into one as we have.

Just because we've merged these two resources into one, doesn't necessarily mean that it makes it easier to stun and/or guard crush an opponent, that's all about balancing the Shatter damage values.

But yes, the Shatter system does favor the attacker, and therefore we are considering the option of giving the opponent an Alpha Counter/Guard Cancel whatever you want to call it.

[Edit] But it's of course perfectly acceptable to not really like Guard Crush mechanics in general. I think they can be pretty exciting when they're a specific strategy you can apply (Like Kusanagi in KOF2002, can specifically aim to get a guard crush in his playstyle), rather than the main tool to set up offense (As I kind of feel is the case in MOTW, especially for some characters).
    We've decided that the Shatter System description was perhaps a little too short. So we've expanded that section a little.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    Celerity wrote: »

On block, I think you mean. I understand your concern, and yes it combines both a stun gauge and a guard crush gauge into one system, which definitely favors the person on offense more than the defender. But, it technically isn't more punishing than having both stun and guard as separate systems within a game, as long as the amount of damage it does is balanced well.

I meant on hit, but the new information you added to that section makes it more clear. I was concerned that you could fill up an opponent's gauge during a combo, and then reset them into another big combo from the guard crush. I didn't realize that it just placed them into a knockdown state.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Team triple terror for MvCi Joined: Posts: 2,566 mod
    Not to nitpick but, it may be more logical to map throws to lp+lk and shatters to hp+hk.
    If you guys ever end up with an update using EX moves or supers mapped to a i.e. qcf p+p

Most fighting games map fighting mechanics these way, so it'll be easier to pick for new players
    (Not to mention it's more friendly for pad players like me ;p )

Just something to think about ;)
    "Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
    Just something to think about ;)

Sure, that's a fair point. We'll think about it.
  • DangerOnTheRangerDangerOnTheRanger based TvC god Joined: Posts: 283
    So the Shatter system is basically a guard crush that allows you one followup attack, correct? I like the sound of it, though as was stated earlier, it could favor the attacker/rushdown characters too much, so an alpha counter mechanic also sounds like a good idea to me.

I assume a Shatter attack will be like SFEX guard crushes/level 3 focus attacks in that it is impossible to block them at all, right? As opposed to BBCP's Crush Trigger system, anyway.
    I am the salt of the earth.
    Rage is my body and salt is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand excuses.
    Unknown to winning, nor known to humility,
    Have withstood bans to write many forum rants.
    Yet, those hands will never hold that L.

So as I play,
    UNLIMITED SALT WORKS
    edited January 2014
    So the Shatter system is basically a guard crush that allows you one followup attack, correct?
    Indeed! Either a single follow up attack or a Shatter super.
    I assume a Shatter attack will be like SFEX guard crushes/level 3 focus attacks in that it is impossible to block them at all, right? As opposed to BBCP's Crush Trigger system, anyway.

No, they will be blockable, but they'll be a lot quicker than either of those two. In terms of speeds you should think more in the direction of KOF CD attacks (between 16 and 23 frames startup), which is fairly slow for a normal attack but not almost a second startup SLOW like a level 3 focus attack.

• DangerOnTheRangerDangerOnTheRanger based TvC god Joined: Posts: 283
    Interesting.

Do Shatter attacks require any resources (meter, etc.) to perform? I didn't see that they did anywhere on your site, but I thought I'd check.
    I am the salt of the earth.
    Rage is my body and salt is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand excuses.
    Unknown to winning, nor known to humility,
    Have withstood bans to write many forum rants.
    Yet, those hands will never hold that L.

So as I play,
    UNLIMITED SALT WORKS
    No they don't. It's probably best to think of them as a special kind of 5th normal.
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,540
    wow, the system mechanics seem very innovative, while being simple enough

good luck with the game
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 690
    Looking good.

+1 for switching the button combinations though. You liken the Shatter attack to a CD attack, so it should really be both hard attacks and both light attacks as throw is fairly standard for games with 2x2 or 2x3 layouts. One other thing, very minor but on the system page, the diagonal back arrow for hop isn't showing up.

Looking forward to more info :)
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.
    Strange, the up-back input is showing for me. Either way, we'll replace those inputs with icons in the near future, after which it should be fixed!
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,970
    Games lookin and soundin cool. I wish you guys luck.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited January 2014
    The videos that we've been showing off so far have all been recordings within the engine, but none have really showed off ' gameplay'. So this time, we're showing off some combo's with our, now functioning, health bars in place!

http://blog.team18k.com/uncategorized/combo-showcase/

If anyone wonders what the 'greyed out' part of the screen is. That is basically the 'off-screen' area. We have not yet implemented a camera that actually follows the action.
    Post edited by phoenixnl on
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,024
    The video is really choppy for me but from I can see it looks pretty good. I don't want to jump the gun cuz the game is so early but it looks like nothing too crazy or over-the-top...
    I'm making a fighting game! http://www.disturbingtheverse.com/
    Support us on Kickstarter! https:kickstarter.com/projects/kinganimation/disturbing-the-verse-zero-gravity-2d-fighter
    Vote for us on Greenlight! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=869459014
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/210948/disturbing-the-verse-zero-gravity-fighter#latest
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    She is indeed nothing too crazy. You're still missing out on her supers, her shatter attack and her command normal, but even with those she will be a basic character.

Some future characters will have some more 'exotic' systems/movesets or more extreme looks/effects, but also have to adhere to some principles laid out by Phoenix and me, so everything will be within reason.
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
    That video was verrry confusing at first, with the abrupt cuts between clips! And especially with the static background and Julia not having an idle animation yet. I had to watch it a few times to adjust to what was going on. Hahah.

All of the animations so far look absolutely fantastic!

I did notice that the attacker's sprite was being drawn behind the defender's sprite. Without any hitsparks or sound, I found it was actually kind of tough to spot the tiny, quick cr.lp's.

I guess that you're planning on changing it so that the (latest) attack always shows up in front? Off the top of my head, I thiiink this is what other 2D fighters typically do.
    edited January 2014
    I did notice that the attacker's sprite was being drawn behind the defender's sprite. Without any hitsparks or sound, I found it was actually kind of tough to spot the tiny, quick cr.lp's.

I guess that you're planning on changing it so that the (latest) attack always shows up in front? Off the top of my head, I thiiink this is what other 2D fighters typically do.

I honestly wasn't really aware of that yet, but I'm pretty sure Phoenix was (thats how he rollsss), so its probably on the list of things to fix. But yeah, your point makes sense.
    All of the animations so far look absolutely fantastic!

Bob Sagat will arrive shortly to claim the compliments! Joking aside, I fully agree with you!
    Post edited by COAL on
    Yup, it's on the todo list of things to do once we start making hits more visually appealing with hitflashes, and 'vibration' of the opponent during hitstop, etc.
    Yup, it's on the todo list of things to do once we start making hits more visually appealing with hitflashes, and 'vibration' of the opponent during hitstop, etc.
    It's... it's like you know all the things!!!!
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 743
    edited January 2014
    Reading the word "shatter" so many times in such a short space of time is making it sound hilarious...
    KOF XIV: Andy/K'/Robert
    PSN: AirLancer
    Hit me up (when the patch drops).
    I wrote up an update on our blog on our plans concerning netplay.

http://blog.team18k.com/gameplay/netplay/
  • BoodendorfBoodendorf Imposing your will is a matter of strength. Joined: Posts: 1,473
    Wow this looks great! I'll definitely follow this closely.
    "‎I don't know if you've ever let someone down, got your ass kicked or straight up failed. But those are the moments that define us. They push you further than you've ever thought possible, and force you to make choices. No matter what the cost." — Cole MacGrath
    Check out my youtube channel here!
    edited February 2014
    We're really excited since that build will (if everything goes as it does now) include a lot of game mechanics like shatter and super. So you will pretty much be able to play 'real' game rounds.
    edited February 2014
    A new post for our blog! This time a bit of in-depth about character design! http://blog.team18k.com/design/220/

We have previously discussed a large portion of the system mechanics, both in our blog posts and on our System page. But, while we set out to make a simple but engaging game system, it is only part of what makes it the game. The other half is arguably the one that will be much harder to get working properly: getting every moveset of every character balanced, while staying different enough to deliver good character diversity.

While we do not intend to make every character so different that it is as if they come from different games, we want to have wildly varied movesets.This however forced us to make some strict agreements so that it would prevent designs from going overboard.

One of the most important limitations we have set early on was that no character would have character-specific set of resources.

The basic resources in the game are:

- Super bar
    - Health bar
    - Shatter bar
    - Time

The amount of impact these will have, differs per character and resource type. Super bar, for instance, will always play a massive role for every character, while fighters that rely on health for special mechanics will be comparatively rare.

One example where we changed the impact of the super bar would be for Roxanne, whose supers are more akin to EX moves than to actual supers. We initially planned to split her super bar up into smaller segments, but we eventually decided against that, as that would qualify as a character-specific subsystem, which is something we specifically try to avoid. Instead, her super bar will fill much faster than that of other characters, which is used to power stronger versions of her special moves, but these will obviously lack the punch of actual supers.

This gave us some issues with her shatter super, which obviously uses the same bar, possibly giving her way too many opportunities to use that super on a shattered opponent. While we could lower the damage of this super, to be more like her “EX moves”, we felt like this would reduce the excitement of landing a shatter super. Instead, we want to solve this by lowering her overall shatter damage and thus decreasing the chance of shattering her opponent.

Another example is one of our future characters, which will feature a cancel that the player can use at any moment to reset their frames to neutral, effectively resetting the character and giving the possibility to retaliate out of blockstun or to extend combos. This ability uses the super bar as its resource, just like her super moves do. Of course, this ability needs to be balanced in such a way, that her super moves do not become useless, while keeping her from becoming too strong.

The mechanics that use shatter/time/health as resource are more difficult to implement, and are definitely further down the road. The chances that we use time as a resource to power a character’s abilities are very slim. Note that utilizing a resource doesn’t mean to us that it will necessarily be consumed, it could also mean that having X amount of health/time left has a certain effect on a character.

Over the next few weeks we will do a more in-depth introduction to our 3 other alpha characters Usha, Cole and Roxanne.
    Post edited by COAL on
    We set up a Facebook page for Shattered. So if you're interested in following the development a bit more closely, like us on facebook!: https://www.facebook.com/ShatteredFighter
    edited March 2014
    Tonight we'll be playtesting and maybe running a mini tournament at LLL.MBR's bootcamp. It is still an early pre-alpha build with some bugs still around and the super and shatter system is not yet implemented. So far people have been very excited to play it, and we're getting lots of useful feedback. We're seeing some nice footsie and mindgames developing as the guys are exploring the game.

We will try to find out if there is some capability for streaming, otherwise we will just end up making some videos and post it later!
    edited March 2014
    Blog post about our adventure last weekend:

http://blog.team18k.com/gameplay/playtest-at-mbrs-bootcamp/
    Last weekend we had a good opportunity to playtest our game at LLL.MBR’s bootcamp. More than a dozen people tried Shattered over 2 days and gave their input. While the game is still in a fairly bare bones state, the people trying the game weren’t hampered at all in exploring the game, developing inventive footsie games and quickly discovering new tech. People seemed to enjoy the game a lot and were eager to give suggestions and their opinions.

Seeing people enjoy our game is incredibly satisfying and one of the reasons why we are making this game, and why we will continue to push forward.

We were aware of the presence of some bugs in this build, and another few others were discovered, but overall the game is really starting to come together and become a truly playable experience.

We’ve of course made some recordings of the matches as well! In these videos you will see one of the most prominent bugs that we were aware of even before this testing session: Multiple fireballs can be on the screen at once. The players were quick to find out that this meant that throwing fireballs is very strong, as you will see in the videos below.

The first match is between Pr3y on the left and LLL.MBR on the right.

We also ran a small tournament with the guys present at the bootcamp. We’ve made some recordings of the finals between LLL.MBR (left) and EX Snorlax (right), some of the rounds of these finals can be seen in this video.

Shoutouts to Miku for managing to unintentionally crash our engine every 20 seconds.
    Post edited by COAL on
    edited March 2014
    New blog post:
    As promised we will commence with introducing our future characters. The first character that we will start working on after Julia, is the monk Ushah.

Ushah is a veteran of many battles, his unwavering resolve to combat supernatural creatures has made him an experienced and formidable warrior, but it has had a high cost on his body. Scarred, battered and having lost one of his arms in one of his many battles, he now wields an ancient artifact fused with his prosthetic arm. The artifact resembles the Lion, a long extinct animal in the world of Shattered, but revered as a beast of mythical proportions as a symbol of courage and perseverance.

Ushah is less mobile than other characters, and this also reflects in his moves. Ushah does not have moves that can be used to improve his movement. Rather than that, he has moves that allows him to strongly defend the position he is in, while slowly inching closer to his opponent.

Most of his heavy normals have armor (meaning that parts of the body during the move can absorb an attack before hitting the opponent), he can also generate a steam attack from his mechanical arm that has a pretty big area of effect and is able to negate enemy fireballs.

His normal attacks are strong, long-ranged attacks, which are slower than those of other characters. For example, Ushah’s hard punch is a high straight punch with his mechanical arm, whose armor can block jump-in attacks, and blast straight through. As such, the move is quite a potent anti-air move.

Once Ushah is able to get close, the opponent is forced to choose to stay standing and risk getting grabbed or jump away from Ushah’s command grab and risk getting hit by one of Ushah’s excellent normals that can catch jump-aways.

Below you find a concept art of Ushah’s mechanical Lion arm, and an early concept of Ushah.

LionHead2.png

monk.png

http://blog.team18k.com/characters/ushah/
    All the people who've tested our game so far, have always been very nice to overlook problems with the game, which has of course still very much in development. One of the obvious problems in the last testing session a couple of weeks ago was a lack of corner knockbacks, which led to corner infinites.

But now testers need not worry about avoiding the problem anymore, as corner knockback has been implemented! First half of the video below shows the old corner infinites, and the second half shows what it looks like now.

We're now working hard on getting all the features of our game system implemented for the testing session in April at RSD x The Party.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,281
    The push back looks weird, like you're still moving after your move already happened. I think it would look cleaner if the pushback only lasted during the active frames or something similar.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    The push back looks weird, like you're still moving after your move already happened. I think it would look cleaner if the pushback only lasted during the active frames or something similar.

The pushback lasts as long as the hitstun of your opponent lasts. So if a move is positive on block, you continue moving backwards after recovery. But that is basically the way it is done in every fighting game (definitely in all KOFs and Street Fighters). I agree that it's still 'slidy'-looking though. The way the knockback decelerates is something that definitely still needs tweaking, it probably doesn't decelerate quickly enough, which makes it so that after recovery you sometimes actually still slide quite a lot, instead of just 1px per frame.
  • ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    edited March 2014
    Shattered doesn't seem to be a combo heavy game, so push back probably isn't that important of a balancing issue. Just make it feel nice. The faster your characters slide, the less likely you can get more hits in a combo, even if the final distance of the push back is the same. It's a critical balancing point for Fearless Night, because it can make or break corner pressure.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,281
    Zinac wrote: »
    Shattered doesn't seem to be a combo heavy game, so push back probably isn't that important of a balancing issue.

KoF98 isn't a combo heavy game either and the push back is probably one of the most important design choices SNK made with the game. You don't need a focus on combos for push back to matter.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    I'm digging how that pushback looks!
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
    New blog post:
    Cole is a former Inquisition soldier, he used to be part of one of the elite mutant hunting brigades, equipped with powerful hook weapons that were used for both combat and terrain scaling. He is now on the run, branded as a defector by the Inquisition as they consider him a threat to their cause.

While Cole will be a ‘basic’ character in the sense that he has a lot of basic and easy to understand tools, his moveset has its own little twist. Cole does not have special moves in the traditional sense. He has a set of normal moves, just like every other character, but besides that he has a second set of ‘normals’ that can be accessed by holding back or down/back for a short period of time. As soon as he is charged, all his normal attacks will change into these ‘charged normal’ attacks.

Cole’s regular normals are simply a variety of punches and kicks, but his charged attacks uses the hook on chain that is attached to his glove. For example his crouching hard punch is a uppercut move that works well as an anti-air. The charged crouching hard punch will grab people out of the air with the chain and slam them onto the ground. Other moves will allow him to use the hook for sweeping, poking, launching himself towards the opponent, pulling the opponent towards him or latching himself to the ground from the air.

Next time we will discuss the last of our four alpha characters Roxanne,

http://blog.team18k.com/characters/cole/
  • Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 690
    That is a really interesting concept. Can't wait to see Cole in action.
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.
    edited April 2014
    And another!

ALSO: We will be showing a pre-alpha version this weekend at RSD x The Party @ Eindhoven, the Netherlands. Get hype.
    Roxanne Vasquez is a famous Inquisitor, one that descended out of a long line of commanders, investigators and warriors. Where most Inquisitors specialize in hunting mutants, vixens or cultists, Roxanne has secretly been fighting the rotten parts within the Inquisition and the entirety of the armed forces. Armed with musket, sword and two decades of field experience, Roxanne is a force to be reckoned with.

We have always made an effort to make a proper mixture of characters that are innovative, and introducing the classic archetypes in our game system. After Cole, a pretty experimental character, we have now arrived at the fourth and last alpha character: Roxanne Vasquez.

Roxanne is a charge character in the classic sense, as such she has solid pokes and quick specials. Unlike other characters that have one or two supers (excluding the shatter super), Roxanne has powered-up versions of every special attack in her repertoire. While these powered-up moves lack the devastating damage of most supers in our game, they are potent reversals that should keep the opponent on their toes all the time.

In lieu with this design, Roxanne builds bar way faster than the average characters. This allows her to incorporate these supers into her combos more often than other characters.

We had some worries about how this will pan out with her shatter super, since she would build super at such a rate that hitting a shatter would almost always end up in a shatter super. We have chosen to not diminish the damage on her shatter super but rather to make hitting a shatter a bit more difficult for her than it would be for other characters.

Roxanne’s game plan is about about zoning, strong reversals, and decent pressure strings. Roxanne is a solid wall with strong footsies, but lacking the superb offensive capabilities of grappler and mix-up characters.

Roxanne_cropped2.png
    Characters in development stage and subject to change.

http://blog.team18k.com/characters/roxanne/
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    very excited to see more from you guys. each new thing you reveal about systems, characters, and design sounds great!
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face