Undamned's USB Decoders (USB to JAMMA, etc.) !

undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die!Joined: Posts: 1,686
edited May 2015 in Tech Talk
DSC08853_CROP_RESIZE_zpsd386d24c.jpg

Intro:

Well, folks, it's been a long time coming, but I'm really close to finally getting these things out there and into your hands!

Description:

This is the opposite of boards like Toodles' Cthulhu or the PS360 which take the button/joystick wire signals and turn them into USB. This takes input from your USB 360 or PS3 controller and turns that into button/joystick wire signals. You could use this to control any number of projects from Superguns to robotics, to anything you can imagine that you'd like to control with your digital 360 or PS3 joystick!

These are essentially the same circuit and firmware as that of the UD-CPS2 (ran at multiple major events including ST Games @ EVO, The Fall Classic, etc.).

Target price is $35 for the Screw Terminal version and $40 for the DB15 version.

Screw Terminal Version Features:

- Terminal Blocks for solder free wiring (signal layout intentionally similar to MC Cthulhu so you can mate them for fun things like TE stick on SNES)
- USB A Socket
- Alternate header for USB signals - for people who don't to use the on-board USB socket
- Indicator LED - bi-color, red/green
- Alternate header for LED signals - for people who don't to use the on-board LED
- Pull-Up Selection Jumper - allows for pulling button/joystick signals up to +5V or +3.3V, depending on the application
- Player Select Jumpers - tell the joystick to light up the appropriate controller LED (can be set for P1-P4)
- Custom button mapping - for 6-8 action buttons
- Firmware can be updated via USB for future features/improvements

History:

Here's what @Rufus did with a couple boards which were used at SoCal Regionals, early last year:

DSC08604_CS_zps68321334.jpg
(sweet 3D printed case by @Rufus not included)

SCR_2013__zpsdb03f7e7.jpg
(running on a supergun at SoCal Regionals 2013)

Future:

I will continue to improve the firmware features as I have time.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions!

Resources:

User Manuals / Firmware - http://udgametech.blogspot.com/p/firmware.html

Ordering:

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com (search for "undamned")
https://www.akishop.jp (search for "usb decoder")

-ud
Post edited by undamned on

Comments

• Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,769
    AUTO-LIKE!

This is the type of project that you could definitely get sold by FocusAttack and other stores. I definitely hope these catch on.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,329
    edited December 2013
    In! These being sold at JasensCustoms.com make so much sense for the SuperGuns I build. Love it!

Will the final PCB have holes for mounting points similar to the PS360+ or the JROK video encoders?
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,452
    edited December 2013
    Definitely down for two, at least!
    Are these going to come assembled or not?
    (FWIW, I'd want unassembled ones just because I want to cram them into tiny little spaces inside casings, project boxes, Superguns, etc)
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    This is the type of project that you could definitely get sold by FocusAttack and other stores. I definitely hope these catch on.
    In! These being sold at JasensCustoms.com make so much sense for the SuperGuns I build. Love it!
    Well, with only word of mouth, there is already a ton of interest in these, so I think the "catching" has already begun. I just need to get them finalized and shipped! There are number of stores interested in these :D
    Your superguns are beast, Jasen! And your site is really shaping up! We'll talk!
    Will the final PCB have holes for mounting points similar to the PS360+ or the JROK video encoders?
    Yes, there are mounting holes on PCBs I just ordered. Once I get those in, I think feedback from the beta testers will help determine if I should move them or not. Once I've decided on final hole locations I'll post them up.
    Are these going to come assembled or not?
    (FWIW, I'd want unassembled ones just because I want to cram them into tiny little spaces inside casings, project boxes, Superguns, etc)
    I'm thinking of offering with and w/o the terminal blocks and USB connector. You will freak out when you see how small the DB-15 PCB is. It will lack features (no pull-ups, no alternate headers, etc.), but without a plastic case is about 1/4 the size of the terminal block version. It will certainly be the "Gummo" version :D
    -ud
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    Can I be a beta tester? I need to upgrade my ps2 super gun so it can make use of its usb ports.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • emphaticemphatic Joined: Posts: 477
    It feels like Christmas already.
    I love shmups and never play fighting games.
    Here's my Guwange stick: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=197
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,182
    I'll definitely be wanting 2 of these for myself. Glad to finally get an update on this!!.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• Half-RoHalf-Ro Omae wa mo shinderu.... Joined: Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Would these have practical applications for legacy consoles? Particularly dreamcast interests me.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,416
    Half-Ro wrote: »
    Would these have practical applications for legacy consoles? Particularly dreamcast interests me.
    Yes, you can connect the adapters output signals to the corresponding inputs of your preferred console game controller

You can use this encoder with Jamma, Neo geo, SNES, Sega Genesis, a Xbox 360 pad or even a Dreamcast pad.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    Ah! So, basically I hook the inputs for the dc with its native plug on one end and the encoder outputs it to usb on the other. Very sick! Yeah, definitely sign me up for 2 of these!

This makes me want to drop the dc guts in a new case so I can internalize all of the stuff (there is a GDrom emulation pcb that appears to be coming out soon as well) :)
    Actually its more like this, different encoder same modding possibilities.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145385/fgw-converter-thread-roll-your-own-converters/p1

You solder wires from Undammed's USB encoder to your Dreamcast game pad, as if the USB encoder was your buttons and joystick.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,769
    Intriguing.

I'm guess even with this setup, input lag would be in the acceptable range?
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,873
    So what I'm seeing with this is being able to make a usb to mc cthulhu project box mod? sort of like making a universal adapter box for usb to older consoless?
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 707
    Does this work with Dualshock3/Sixaxis and Microsoft 360 wired pads?
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,712
    Intriguing.

I'm guess even with this setup, input lag would be in the acceptable range?

As I recall, they were tested to have a max delay of 1/4 frame back at last year's SCR, which is negligible given the obvious pros of having this thing.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    undamned wrote: »
    It actually differs depending on what you are plugging into it. For example the MC Cthulhu had ~2ms response time, whereas, if I recall correctly, the official Microsoft 360 pad was ~7ms. One of these days I'll take a larger sampling of various controller response times to give people a better idea.
    If you know, is that a polling rate thing or something else?

Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    edited December 2013
    GOD DAMN IT BRIAN! Now I have to put more of your badass created shit on my future want list.

EDIT - This is fucking sexy.
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
    Rufus wrote: »
    If you know, is that a polling rate thing or something else?
    It's been so long since I touched that aspect of the firmware or did latency testing, I honestly can't recall. I don't do anything different from one controller to another after startup (as far as the actual data transfer; the differences in button mapping should be microseconds apart). I'll certainly look into that again when I do a broad latency test on a bunch of controllers.

Glad you like it, @FrankCastleAZ :D
    -ud
  • phaedrusphaedrus Joined: Posts: 818
    Sweet another option, which is always nice. Will def pick one or two up.
    7 button is trap.
  • JedahsMinistryJedahsMinistry BattousaiCV Joined: Posts: 542
    I would definitely be in for two pre-wired to DB-15 for standard Supergun use.
    Gettysburg, PA
    Netplay Poverty - http://www.twitch.tv/randomalt
    X-Men COTA and stuff - http://www.youtube.com/user/BattousaiCV
    Blurbs about games - http://twitter.com/BattousaiCV
  • aggro cragaggro crag Joined: Posts: 205
    Def interested in getting two for my supergun setup.
  • CapaneusCapaneus Joined: Posts: 29
    I'll be in for one for my PCB test bench.
  • erhanpurpleerhanpurple Joined: Posts: 12
    count me in for two for my supergun, cant wait
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    Capaneus wrote: »
    I'll be in for one for my PCB test bench.

That's a great idea. @undamned you should be marketing this to those who do a lot of arcade board testing/collecting.
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,181
    So is this for OEM ps3/xbox 360 pcbs? Could I use a P360+ on one of these without issue?

So is this for OEM ps3/xbox 360 pcbs?
    This should work with pretty much any PS3/360 controller (barring some button mapping differences). Thus far, the under-explored area is converters (like PS2 to PS3). I have a PS2 to PS3 converter that works fine, but some others don't. I'll look into this for future firmware updates.
    Could I use a P360+ on one of these without issue?
    Should work fine. I think @eltrouble has used his quite a bit on UD-CPS2 without problems.
    -ud
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,712
    So is this for OEM ps3/xbox 360 pcbs? Could I use a P360+ on one of these without issue?

I can confirm that the PS360+ works flawlessly on the Undamned superguns. And yes, it's meant for standard ps3 and xbox360 controllers. I think the only ones that have had issues working in the past were certain SFxT model sticks (ps3 versions).

Oh, and @Undamned , it works with a Hori Fighting Stick 3. It's an old and crappy stick, but it does indeed work, so you can add that to the list of supported controllers.
    eltrouble wrote: »
    I can confirm that the PS360+ works flawlessly on the Undamned superguns. ... Oh, and @Undamned , it works with a Hori Fighting Stick 3. It's an old and crappy stick, but it does indeed work, so you can add that to the list of supported controllers.
    Thanks for the clarification, @eltrouble :D
    eltrouble wrote: »
    I think the only ones that have had issues working in the past were certain SFxT model sticks (ps3 versions).
    And I'll have to double check, but I believe that was fixed in the firmware update I sent out before The Fall Classic (which damdai tested beforehand and at that event).
    -ud

• Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,181
    I think I could have a better use for these than the CPS2 mod you do, would be down for four of these.

• ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Same here. 2-4 of these would be golden.
  • slash5150slash5150 Naptime? Joined: Posts: 3,616 mod
    Count me in as extremely interested! Been rebuilding my supergun for streaming and what not and can definitely use these to help test/use.
    I Stream Stuff! - http://twitch.tv/teamkhaos
    Just a random question, @undamned : have you tried these out with PS4 and XBO controllers?

Not to say that I'd even need that functionality, I'm just kinda curious as to whether they've been tried or not...
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    I think I could have a better use for these than the CPS2 mod you do, would be down for four of these.
    I'm really excited to see what great things people come up with for these!
    Just a random question, @undamned : have you tried these out with PS4 and XBO controllers?

Not to say that I'd even need that functionality, I'm just kinda curious as to whether they've been tried or not...
    I've not tried personally, but I'm sure someone will soon enough.
    -ud
  • Hiễu LũaHiễu Lũa Joined: Posts: 4
    Cool, can't wait to buy one
  • UNW4NT3DUNW4NT3D Joined: Posts: 417
    Would these work with my supergun MAK strike? (connect straight to db15?)

If it will, put me down for 2!
    UNW4NT3D wrote: »

I am sure a USB encoder designed for Jamma + Kickharness use will work for a DB 15 connector.
    UNW4NT3D wrote: »

You need to find out how the MAK-Strike handles JAMMA+ (kick harness, etc.) This initial terminal block version I'm releasing can certainly be wired up to work with that setup, but the DB15 version I'm releasing later follows the pinout of Laugh's PS2 converter: http://etokki.com/PSX2JAMMA
    -ud
    The PS2 converter also is the same as the NEOGEO pin out, it's really the only standard people use in their SuperGuns. It's the exact one I use in all of mine.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    The PS2 converter also is the same as the NEOGEO pin out
    Right, but all the kick buttons are also wired into it. I was simply saying that I didn't know if the MAK-Strike also has the JAMMA+ signals wired to the DB15. That is the information necessary to answer @UNW4NT3D.
    -ud

According to the MAK site, they have the same NEO Pinout with button 5 and 6 wired in to the DB15, which is the way the ps2 converter is wired and the way any good SG is built. This guys perspective, it should work perfectly!

edited January 2014
    I think the Terminal Block version paired with a Xb1 or PS4 PCB would make great converters to next gen consoles.
    edited January 2014
    undamned wrote: »
    [...]hopefully be in full production on the Terminal Block version by end of Feb./early March.
    Can't wait; I'm wrapping up my Supergun build right now and I'm saving a spot in there for these. I have a workaround on it to tide me over until these become readily available, though, but I'm itching just to use USB directly on the unit...
    Darksakul wrote: »
    I think the Terminal Block version paired with a Xb1 or PS4 PCB would make great converters to next gen consoles.
    I almost want to take one of these, combine it with an FGW Converter, as well as an MC Cthulhu, a PS360+ (or any other 360 PCB), along with a PS4 and XBO controllers, so that I can have an "almost-anything-on-everything" adaptor. :D

Looking for:
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,401
    bookmarked

i'm interested, I was thinking in buying the ps2 converter from etokki but since this is cheaper and I can use USB controllers makes it better for my consolized MVS.
    Mounting holes! Perfect! How close to the final product dimensions do you think you are? I'm definitely interested in trying one of these out in a SG build to provide honest feedback.... but I can't use them if I can't screw them in!

• slash5150slash5150 Naptime? Joined: Posts: 3,616 mod
    My money is ready!
    I Stream Stuff! - http://twitch.tv/teamkhaos
  • ReioumuReioumu Play Arcana Heart Joined: Posts: 292
    I just got a namco 256 board that I want to build a supergun for. These will do the trick, I'll order some when ready!
    krost89: why play ST when i can mash xfactor
    Prototypes for beta testers should be finished tomorrow and shipping this week!
    -ud