Undamned's USB Decoders (USB to JAMMA, etc.) !

Comments

• jugosojugoso FG enthusiast Joined: Posts: 207
    Good news, everyone (having ps[12x]→ps3|x360 problems)
    201208061503047205.jpg

The mayflash universal adapter works A-OK with ud-cps2's usb decoders and ps1|psx controllers. It even works with the decoder's re-map function!. Just make sure of the following:
    • The dip switches behind the adapter must have both labeled as '3' on on/up. The rest, leave them off/down. You can experiment with these, but do mind that if the adapter is not on either ps3 mode or xbox360 mode, it will enter pc mode, and will not work.
    • Sometimes, when using an non-analog psx controller, the adapter wouldn't pick it up. In order to tackle this, we made used a working ps2 controller with the adapter to re-map the buttons, and then disconnect it and plug the digital controller in. The adapter will isolate the real controller from the decoder and "keep itself plugged" to the later.

No, it is not the cheapest option to plug ps2 controllers, but it works with those really messy psx controllers and allows remapping (however cumbersome it may seem to you).

PS: You can check out the old man's use of his psx controller + mayflash on Old Fei Long here and here. Totally worth all the struggle.

Cross-posted on ud-cps2 thread here
  • beast1x5beast1x5 Joined: Posts: 63
    just got my USB to db15 decoders... would it be necessary to update now??? I'm waiting on my supergun from jasen to test these bad boys out on ST and alpha 2
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,677
    beast1x5 wrote: »
    just got my USB to db15 decoders... would it be necessary to update now??? I'm waiting on my supergun from jasen to test these bad boys out on ST and alpha 2

Negative. Working on an update right now, but it's been a while since the last update.
    -ud
  • VarleranVarleran Zako Joined: Posts: 645
    So the venue that I go to for my scene's weeklies has a US Alpha 3 cab as well as a US 3rd Strike cab. Sorry if this is answered in the thread somewhere, but how hard would it be to add these to those cabs so that people can use their own controllers instead of the US sticks that are on the panels there? I'd love to see them get some use but at the moment nobody in the scene wants to deal with the american parts.
    edited November 2015
    double post mods pls delete :o
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,181
    Varleran wrote: »
    So the venue that I go to for my scene's weeklies has a US Alpha 3 cab as well as a US 3rd Strike cab. Sorry if this is answered in the thread somewhere, but how hard would it be to add these to those cabs so that people can use their own controllers instead of the US sticks that are on the panels there? I'd love to see them get some use but at the moment nobody in the scene wants to deal with the american parts.

First off, don't destroy the cab "because people don't want to deal with American parts." This is why many good cabinets get ruined that are valuable. And before anyone chimes in that a cabinet made of wood isn't valuable, please mind your own business and carry on. All original cabs are valuable to someone.
    1. Build an adapter for the JAMMA loom in the control panel. Attach one side to existing wiring, one side to the UD-USB. Usually some male crimp spades work best for this.
    2. Go to Home Depot, grab a piece of MDF the same thickness as the control panel. Measure it out to match the original. Cut it to the required shape.
    3. Grab a couple of USB extension cables or a pair of Neutrik Adapters. Cut appropriate sized holes in the panel to work with either one, attach to cabinet using stock hardware.

And, from personal experience... its not the fact that its got American Parts... its because the games are older and people now a days don't have an appreciation for them. I had Third Strike setup on an ADCAP SuperGun at SCR with two full Japanese populated Panzer Fight Sticks, the same 4 people out of hundreds kept playing it.

2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Nothing beats playing SF on a big blue. Swallow your pride and lean to play on bat tops, son.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
    Nothing beats playing SF on a big blue. Swallow your pride and lean to play on bat tops, son.

I'm Jasen Hicks and I support this message.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    edited November 2015

First off, don't destroy the cab "because people don't want to deal with American parts." This is why many good cabinets get ruined that are valuable. And before anyone chimes in that a cabinet made of wood isn't valuable, please mind your own business and carry on. All original cabs are valuable to someone.
    1. Build an adapter for the JAMMA loom in the control panel. Attach one side to existing wiring, one side to the UD-USB. Usually some male crimp spades work best for this.
    2. Go to Home Depot, grab a piece of MDF the same thickness as the control panel. Measure it out to match the original. Cut it to the required shape.
    3. Grab a couple of USB extension cables or a pair of Neutrik Adapters. Cut appropriate sized holes in the panel to work with either one, attach to cabinet using stock hardware.

And, from personal experience... its not the fact that its got American Parts... its because the games are older and people now a days don't have an appreciation for them. I had Third Strike setup on an ADCAP SuperGun at SCR with two full Japanese populated Panzer Fight Sticks, the same 4 people out of hundreds kept playing it.

First, thank you for the advice. I'll work on it. However ...

The plan was to add the functionality while preserving as much of the cab as possible. It's not even my cab, of course I would respect the value of the original machine.

And I've specifically played with friends on the cabs and sat there dealing with hand pain and shitty responsiveness because american sticks are fucking garbage. We also have two hitbox players (myself included) and a few pad players in our midst, and I just want us all to be comfortable with messing with it. We're a pretty small, tight scene who are more than happy to try shit out.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,728
    There are compromises you can do without ruining the integrity of a US cab. Like what @Jasen Hicks mentioned

What I support are ether mods that are completely reversible, like Jasen's Jamma adapter idea.
    For the joystick, I believe with some minor hardware (like a adapter place) you could fit a JLW where a Happ or IL joystick once fit but this can betray the spirit of the machine.
    I can't say about the buttons. If you had some beaten up heavily converted generic cab where any alterations you make would be a repair sure, but it's a thin line you do walk across. If its like a original cab in mostly good condition I like to see cabs stay this way.
    As it comes to american style parts I recommend IL over Happ as IL is the original manufactured parts (old time Happs are re-branded IL parts). Happs now really do suck.
    I think there some alternate choices for buttons that fits the normal american button hole sizes that aren't Happ or IL but what they are exactly I am not sure what they are called
    Many are off brand buttons.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is it realistic for the UD-USB to support PS4 controllers via firmware update one day?
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Is it realistic for the UD-USB to support PS4 controllers via firmware update one day?
    Yup, official PS4 already working (firmware not released yet) and just picked up a Hori PS4 stick to see how 3rd party stuff jives. I'll make a beta firmware available shortly. Should there be something funky with the beta firmware, you can always revert back to the previous stable release.

I'll post up when available :D
    -ud
    Hmmm... Where can I order a unit? It's not on either Paradise Arcade Shop or Akihabarashop. :(
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • RedTag14RedTag14 Joined: Posts: 107
    @undamned I bought a PS3/PS4 UD USB decoder converter made by @Gummo and gave it to my brother, but it didn't work on his Qanba Q4. This was over six months ago and since then he just bought a PS4. I don't have it on me atm, but do you know if they happen to work now in either Q4's PS3 or 360 mode?
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    edited January 2016
    My USB decoders stopped working so I bought replacements from paradise. They were out of stock for the screw terminal version so I bought the DB-15 version and broke out the DB 15 ports I used to use. Laugh's (and superguns) based that pinout off of the neo geo pinout. And added the kicks for harnesses, but there is still one unused pin. Pin 9. I don't know if you have this connected internally, but If you do, I have a request. can you output to this when one activates the test menu function on the screw terminal version? And have this in a future firmware version? It shouldn't affect compatibility with DB15 or neo geo controllers and I've found this function to be extremely useful during tournaments.

For now I'm hooking up my test wire (since i have an extra one) to pin 9 in anticipation of this change :p.
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • NoAffinityNoAffinity Saikyooooooo!!!! Joined: Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    When will screw terminal decoders be available again, or where are they currently available? Arcadeshop is out of stock. I've got a project brewing in my mind, and screw terminal decoders are going to be critical to its success. :)
    RedTag14 wrote: »
    @undamned I bought a PS3/PS4 UD USB decoder converter made by @Gummo and gave it to my brother, but it didn't work on his Qanba Q4. This was over six months ago and since then he just bought a PS4. I don't have it on me atm, but do you know if they happen to work now in either Q4's PS3 or 360 mode?
    Hmm, not sure I've heard of that problem. I'll have to look into that.
    I bought the DB-15 version and broke out the DB 15 ports I used to use. Laugh's (and superguns) based that pinout off of the neo geo pinout. And added the kicks for harnesses, but there is still one unused pin. Pin 9. I don't know if you have this connected internally, but If you do, I have a request. can you output to this when one activates the test menu function on the screw terminal version? And have this in a future firmware version?
    Firmware update doesn't add traces to circuit boards :D I'll consider it on the next board rev, though.
    NoAffinity wrote: »
    When will screw terminal decoders be available again, or where are they currently available? Arcadeshop is out of stock. I've got a project brewing in my mind, and screw terminal decoders are going to be critical to its success. :)
    I sorta spaced getting some more built up at the end of last year and now everybody's out. I'm getting some made now. Should be available in a few weeks. Sorry for the wait!
    -ud
  • edgb77edgb77 Joined: Posts: 5
    Hi!, everybody!;

I need help with my set up please,
    I have a Mak Strike V3, I made the mod Undamned showed before and everything seems to be fine, I receive my couple of decoders a few days and today I´ve been testing the set up, when I turn on the super gun, the decoder directly goes to boot loader mode, Lights red & green flashing together,

I tried to push buttons to my controller but nothing happens. I do not press the decoder button to enter in boot loader mode, it does it alone, if I press that button, just the decoder do nothing, no lights, no input.

I use both decoders just to see if it could be a 'problem' of the decoder, and both do the same so i guess they are fine.

Any tip please will be welcome!!

By the way, the controller is custom one with a Xin mo board, it´s a chinese 1 player board that was very cheap, works very very well, and it´s been tested in Ps3 and worked just fine

Thanks a lot for the help!
  • erhanpurpleerhanpurple Joined: Posts: 12
    i have similar issue, most probably decoder does not support the controller
    edgb77 wrote: »
    I have a Mak Strike V3, I made the mod Undamned showed before and everything seems to be fine, I receive my couple of decoders a few days and today I´ve been testing the set up, when I turn on the super gun, the decoder directly goes to boot loader mode, Lights red & green flashing together,

I tried to push buttons to my controller but nothing happens. I do not press the decoder button to enter in boot loader mode, it does it alone, if I press that button, just the decoder do nothing, no lights, no input.

I use both decoders just to see if it could be a 'problem' of the decoder, and both do the same so i guess they are fine.

Any tip please will be welcome!!

By the way, the controller is custom one with a Xin mo board, it´s a chinese 1 player board that was very cheap, works very very well, and it´s been tested in Ps3 and worked just fine
    Does the Decoder LED flash if you power up your supergun without your USB controller plugged in?
    -ud
    undamned wrote: »
    Does the Decoder LED flash if you power up your supergun without your USB controller plugged in?
    -ud

No, it does nothing, no lights at all.
    edgb77 wrote: »
    -ud

No, it does nothing, no lights at all.
    Ok, then it sounds like there's something about that controller that the Decoder doesn't like. I couldn't say what unless I had one in hand to play with :(
    -ud
    Ok, thanks you
  • douglamdouglam Joined: Posts: 191
    Hi, I just wanted to report that the ASCII seamic controller is unsupported and while it is supposed to be a PS2 controller, it is a USB controller that works on PS3 and PC.
  • bootsectorbootsector Joined: Posts: 30
    Hey guys! Is that possible to make this board to accept USB keyboards as input? I have a friend that only play games using a PC keyboard. So by using this together with the KADE miniConsole+ he will be able to play on consoles using a keyboard too!

So, is that possible?
    bootsector wrote: »
    Hey guys! Is that possible to make this board to accept USB keyboards as input? I have a friend that only play games using a PC keyboard. So by using this together with the KADE miniConsole+ he will be able to play on consoles using a keyboard too!

So, is that possible?
    Sure it's possible, I'd just have to add a driver for keyboard. I've actually had a few requests for this lately. I'll put it on my To-Do list, but no ETA, as there are more pressing things to add.

Anyone wanna beta test XBONE support on one of their UD-USB Decoders?
    -ud
    I have a few decoders I can try it with :) Once I get the extra Brook UFB Ill get it in the mail to you as well.

• JedahsMinistryJedahsMinistry BattousaiCV Joined: Posts: 542
    bootsector wrote: »

So, is that possible?
    Sure it's possible, I'd just have to add a driver for keyboard. I've actually had a few requests for this lately. I'll put it on my To-Do list, but no ETA, as there are more pressing things to add.
    That would be amazing!
    Gettysburg, PA
    Netplay Poverty - http://www.twitch.tv/randomalt
    X-Men COTA and stuff - http://www.youtube.com/user/BattousaiCV
    Blurbs about games - http://twitter.com/BattousaiCV
  • FattyWinnarzFattyWinnarz Joined: Posts: 327
    edited February 2016
    It came out very well and I'm shipping it to Broly tomorrow.
    JEba1b8.jpg

I did have a couple of questions though:
    -Is it possible to change when the triggers will activate if i'm using a normal controller? they have to be pretty well pushed down for them to activate. it'd be nice if i could fine tune that.
    -do you think a flash update to support xbox one or ps4 controller support is possible? i had a lot of interest from people who want to use their favorite controller for this type of mod.

Thanks!

Did you make him a green one? :)

Around 3:19

XWFDtJAh.jpg

• lunch_boxlunch_box Packed Full Of Food Joined: Posts: 59
    When will more of the db15 be available? Arcade paradise are out of stock at the mo :(
  • opt2notopt2not Joined: Posts: 44
    Just wanted to jump-in and report that these work great with the new Brook Universal Fighting boards when forced to X360 mode.
    lunch_box wrote: »
    When will more of the db15 be available? Arcade paradise are out of stock at the mo :(
    Shoot me a PM w/ how many you need, e-mail address, etc. I've got a few on hand that I can sell directly.
    douglam wrote: »
    Hi, I just wanted to report that the ASCII seamic controller is unsupported and while it is supposed to be a PS2 controller, it is a USB controller that works on PS3 and PC.
    Ah, ok, thanks! I had to look that one up! :D
    opt2not wrote: »
    Just wanted to jump-in and report that these work great with the new Brook Universal Fighting boards when forced to X360 mode.
    Thanks for the report! Let me know if you have any other 3rd party PS4/XBONE controllers and want to do some beta testing of the latest firmware :D
    -ud
  • VietGeekVietGeek Joined: Posts: 243
    Anyone still selling these? I need two (DB15 preferred but terminal version is fine too)
  • SNKNEOGEOSNKNEOGEO Joined: Posts: 9
    Hello.. I am a Shmups member.. I just created an account here because I am looking for 2 of the DB15. They are sold out on the online ships..

@Undamned - Can I the them directly from you as well.. Please let me know.. thanks
  • karduskardus Joined: Posts: 100
    edited June 2016
    I'm looking for two DB15 encoders as well. Send me a PM if anyone has any for sale.
    Post edited by kardus on
    Sold out at the moment. Doing a minor hardware change on the 15 Pin Dsub version. Will hopefully have some built up next month, loaded up w/ the PS4/XBONE firmware.
    -ud
  • karduskardus Joined: Posts: 100
    What specifically is the hardware change? Wondering if its worth waiting for the new batch or if i should continue to search for a pair of these.
    More resilient to voltage spikes. People using the MAK Strike, which can cause massive voltage spikes on the +5V signal of the controller ports, were damaging them.
    -ud
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,983
    How's the outlook on these for the DB15 to USB? Was hoping to pick up a couple by the end of the month.
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
    How's the outlook on these for the DB15 to USB? Was hoping to pick up a couple by the end of the month.
    Just got some together. Can sell a few directly before I get a larger batch off to Paradise Arcade soon. Shoot me a PM anyone who needs one ASAP.
    -ud
  • edwin128edwin128 Joined: Posts: 1
    Just got some together. Can sell a few directly before I get a larger batch off to Paradise Arcade soon. Shoot me a PM anyone who needs one ASAP.
    -ud

hello undamned. i just sent you a pm. thx.
  • c0nn0rc0nn0r JAMMA and MVS guy Joined: Posts: 3
    Alright, I don't have time at this moment to re-read/answer the last few pages, but I'll post up the status of things regarding the MAK Strike. First off:

NOTE: If you have ever used the on-board power switch on your MAK Strike* while the UD-USB Decoders are connected to the DB15 controller ports, all bets are off. It's entirely possible and highly likely you've damaged them. It is no fault of the UD-USB Decoder design and 100% the fault of the MAK Strike design.

*My tests were done on a MAK Strike V3 board. I cannot vouch for versions before or after.
    MAK%20Strike%20Fix%2003_zpsncq9zgkl.png

Moving on.

Here is my test setup showing a HAPP/Suzo Arcade Power Supply a MAK Strike V3 and my CPS2:
    MAK%20Strike%20Fix%2004_zpscb4h7ylp.png

The waveform on the oscilloscope is the 5V signal after "turning on" the MAK Strike. The reason I use quotes is because 5V is already applied to the controller ports before you even turn the MAK Strike on. Because of this bizzare design choice (oversight?) when you flip the power switch, massive voltage spikes result when the power supply tries to compensate for the massive load of the arcade board dumped on it all at once. That combined with the fun characteristics of the mechanical switch results in 15V spikes on the 5V line along with multiple dips down to 0V. Thank you MAK Strike.

I tried adding capacitance to the 5V line (as well as the Decoder itself) and was unable to make a significant change to the results. Ultimately the sensible solution is to fix the MAK Strike's problem.

Cut this trace on the bottom:
    MAK%20Strike%20Fix%2001_zpstbjmboiy.png

Solder a wire to these two points on the top:
    MAK%20Strike%20Fix%2002_zpsve1zrfvd.png

Now everything (the Decoders and the arcade board) powers up at once:
    MAK%20Strike%20Fix%2005_zpscklkhsun.png

Now perfectly safe for the Decoders.

I'd still like to find a solution for MAK Strike owners who are not so handy with soldering, but I'll need to do a bit more digging on that. I'll try and respond to the last few pages in the next few days.
    -ud

Thanks for this undamned. Excellent fix. We've been chatting about this over on neo-geo.com as it came up with my setup. I do have one question - your fix cuts a trace and jumps a line from power to player-1 controller. Does this also fix the power spike issue on player-2 controller?
    c0nn0r wrote: »
    Thanks for this undamned. Excellent fix. We've been chatting about this over on neo-geo.com as it came up with my setup. I do have one question - your fix cuts a trace and jumps a line from power to player-1 controller. Does this also fix the power spike issue on player-2 controller?
    As I recall, that trace is shared by both P1 & P2, so both should be fine after the mod.
    -ud
  • JangofattJangofatt Joined: Posts: 1
    Question: What kind of enclosure are you using for the terminal style USB-Decoder?
    Jangofatt wrote: »
    Question: What kind of enclosure are you using for the terminal style USB-Decoder?
    Screw terminal enclosure options are limitless. If you are referring to the 15-Pin D-Sub verion, the mold is from an old DB15 to DB15 adapter. Back in the PC days before USB and whatnot :)
    -ud
    I really wish there were enclosures for the UD-USB plus another PCB (Brook UFB or PS360+...) for sale. :|
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,457
    I really wish there were enclosures for the UD-USB plus another PCB (Brook UFB or PS360+...) for sale. :|

Nintendo nes mint tins do great for me.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    Gummo wrote: »

Nintendo nes mint tins do great for me.

:o
    You put the UD-USB and another PCB inside one of those, connecting them by wires, and use the whole thing as a converter (USB input and USB/RJ-45 output)?
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • moegreenmoegreen Joined: Posts: 11
    Any news on the DSub $40 version becoming available?
  • pzlatepzlate When's Breakers Joined: Posts: 925
    moegreen wrote: »
    Any news on the DSub $40 version becoming available?

Contact him on Twitter, he told me he had a few left last time I contacted him (if you mean the db15 one).

Just got two normal decoders direct from him since Paradise Arcade was out of stock.