Undamned's USB Decoders (USB to JAMMA, etc.) !

Comments

• erhanpurpleerhanpurple Joined: Posts: 12
    I'm surprised to find out that ground and shield was tied together on 10 pin connector, I separated them and changed molex connectors.
  • SirFishouseSirFishouse Owner of Critical Hit Gaming Joined: Posts: 69
    If i plug in a 360 or ps3 pad into the decoder, does it translate the analog signals too?
    It's not about what you do right, it's about what you don't do wrong
  • buyproductbuyproduct Chemist for Hire Joined: Posts: 1,035
    If i plug in a 360 or ps3 pad into the decoder, does it translate the analog signals too?

It recognized the left analog stick on my official wired xbox 360 pad (as demonstrated in the video I posted above). I do not know about the right analog or ps3 analogs though.
    "weekly 8 on the break tournaments >>> cali majors " skyet
    "Lol, the break is pretty serious when the real players show up, because everyone is a killer! " Dr. Chaos
    8 on the Break weekly thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194801
    just finished reading through the whole thread. this board is definitely going to be able to do what i need it to do. Do you know @Brolylegs? He's the chun li player who plays pad with his face. He's a buddy from my area and I've tried a couple of different pad hacks for him with little success in fulfilling his requirements. He can only use a thumbstick and he pretty much exclusively plays on 360.

He's in some real trouble this year for USFIV on ps4. I just found out about this board last night and I'm super excited to make a project box for him. Anyone interested in sponsoring us some parts? :smile:

We're pulling some money together to make this happen for him. I plan on hacking a PDP MKX pad with the UDUSB. Shouldn't be too tough assuming that the MKX pad is all common ground.
    Finally finished wiring everything on my supergun other than decoders, wired only gnd and vcc to see if it will recognize ps3 pads but I only see red flashing. All controls should be wired before testing?
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Finally finished wiring everything on my supergun other than decoders, wired only gnd and vcc to see if it will recognize ps3 pads but I only see red flashing. All controls should be wired before testing?
    You should be able to test the pad being recognized w/ +5V and GND powering the Decoder. Red flashing on your PS3 pad or on the Decoder LED? If on your PS3 pad, you need to wait for the bluetooth seach to end (LED stops blinking) then plug in.
    -ud
    I think I did something wrong, accidentally put usb extension cable other way. thats why it gave me flashing red light on decoder, weird is I connected it right and now no light on decoder and controller. I tested and voltage is exactly 5v both on decoder and other end of usb extension. Did I fried it? I read 5v on all screw terminals.
    What do you mean "put usb extension cable other way". There should be only one way to plug it in.

All output signals should be at +5V (pulled up, just like any "common ground" arcade setup).

Is the battery in the controller been charged? Do you have another controller to test with your setup?
    -ud
    I'm using pin headers to mount usb connectors on chasis which was motherboard connector, separated wires and used 4 pin housing. Left to right red, white, green and black, that's where I made mistake and put it other way such as black, green, white and red. I testing with two ps3 controllers and they are same. Is there anything I can test? I'm really sad that my supergun is finished except the decoders :(
    I'm using pin headers to mount usb connectors on chasis which was motherboard connector, separated wires and used 4 pin housing. Left to right red, white, green and black, that's where I made mistake and put it other way such as black, green, white and red. I testing with two ps3 controllers and they are same. Is there anything I can test? I'm really sad that my supergun is finished except the decoders :(

There is no reverse polarity protection (it could be added, but a diode would drop +5V down to like +4.3V, which is bad) so you've likely toasted it. I can see about repairing them for a fee (cheaper than buying new ones) if you send them to me. Shoot me a PM to remind me your info.
    -ud
    So far so good. Getting the project box 3d printed asap. tomorrow is solder day.dv2mhCz.jpg?
    Hey hey, got it working!
    Just using the dvd case until i get the real box printed. I lent it out to my buddy for some extended testing, but so it has worked perfectly. didn't even need to resolder anything :)

Check out us testing it on ps4

i have an imgur for the progress if anyone wants to follow along. so far so good.
    http://imgur.com/a/jhak3
    Hey hey, got it working!

Super dope review, sir!
    -ud
  • RoyalFlushTZRoyalFlushTZ *Not a Ryu cosplayer! Joined: Posts: 1,455
    Bumping this up. I hope XB1 and PS4 support as the primary controller will be available soon!
    Thor/M.O.D.O.K/Viewtiful Joe
    Long live the Mighty THODOK! I do stick mods, too!
    youtube.com/RoyalFlush for TvC:UAS and T5DR vids
  • guanoguano Joined: Posts: 14
    edited April 2015
    So... Jasen is MIA and I was wondering if anyone around here knows if the pinout of the DB15 version of the UD USB Decoder is compatible with the JCC SuperGun... He wires the DB15 so they can use a Neo Geo controller or his Panser line of joysticks. I tried my best to find the pinouts for these devices online to no avail. This pic on thesupergun.com is the only lead I have on the JCC SuperGun pinout. Is it the same for the UD? I read of someone frying one because it was wired incorrectly. I don't wanna repeat that mistake. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

db15_laugh.png
    Post edited by guano on
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,386
    edited April 2015
    guano wrote: »
    So... Jasen is MIA and I was wondering if anyone around here knows if the pinout of the DB15 version of the UD USB Decoder is compatible with the JCC SuperGun... He wires the DB15 so they can use a Neo Geo controller or his Panser line of joysticks. I tried my best to find the pinouts for these devices online to no avail. This pic on thesupergun.com is the only lead I have on the JCC SuperGun pinout. Is it the same for the UD? I read of someone frying one because it was wired incorrectly. I don't wanna repeat that mistake. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

IMAGE SNIP
    The version of the Jasen Hicks Super gun I got, I had wired.
    That said I think both the Super Guns Jasen Hicks built and DB15 version of the UD USB Decoder uses the same NEO GEO Plus Pinout, the same pin out that compatible with Most Multi-purpose Super Guns that use a DB 15 connector.

if you are still uncertain I would get a multi meter and compare the DB 15 pinout to the Jamma Harness

jamma_pinout_engadget_howto.jpg
    Jamma pinout

neoplus.png
    DB 15 pinout (which matches your image guano)
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • guanoguano Joined: Posts: 14
    Thank you so much!!!
    Looks great!
    -Is it possible to change when the triggers will activate if i'm using a normal controller? they have to be pretty well pushed down for them to activate. it'd be nice if i could fine tune that.
    -do you think a flash update to support xbox one or ps4 controller support is possible? i had a lot of interest from people who want to use their favorite controller for this type of mod.
    I think I'm just looking for the 50% point on the triggers. I'd have to look at my code. I don't plan on adding the ability for the user to change that, but I can take a look at making them a little more sensitive on next update. When I wrote the drivers, I think my main concern was not having them too sensitive (worn triggers could activate inputs when barely touched).

If you look a few posts/pages up you'll see that xbone and PS4 are on my todo list.
    -ud
  • ERR0RMACR0ERR0RMACR0 Joined: Posts: 21
    undamned wrote: »
    Is there any hope of Xbox One or PS4 arcade stick support from the UD-USB?
    Yeah, I'd really like to get to that this year.
    -ud

That would be awesome--I'd definitely pick up a couple for creating Quad Mod converters.

• ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Where can I purchase a plastic case like that? :P
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • FattyWinnarzFattyWinnarz Joined: Posts: 328
    edited May 2015
    It came out very well and I'm shipping it to Broly tomorrow.
    JEba1b8.jpg

I did have a couple of questions though:
    -Is it possible to change when the triggers will activate if i'm using a normal controller? they have to be pretty well pushed down for them to activate. it'd be nice if i could fine tune that.
    -do you think a flash update to support xbox one or ps4 controller support is possible? i had a lot of interest from people who want to use their favorite controller for this type of mod.

Thanks!
    that is just beautifully simple. Great word dude.

ShinMagus wrote: »
    Where can I purchase a plastic case like that? :P
    i can ship you one if you like, just PM me. If you have any friends with a 3d printer, i can just send you the file too and you can get it done locally.
    that is just beautifully simple. Great word dude.
    Thanks man :)
    A lot of thought went into it. I actually had a lot of interest in this mod from my local scene. i'm going to make a quad mod with the xbox and sony mkx pads for my friend tattoo chris. that should be a fun one. also had a friend that plays a lot of ps2 games and wants to use his stick on modern consoles, so i'm going to use Laugh's PSX to JAMMA board on that one. Laugh's board doesn't support the guide button so i'm going to have to mount that externally.
    I tested the pdp MKX ps4/ps3 pad with the decoder. It recognized the pad in ps3 mode.
    "Lol, the break is pretty serious when the real players show up, because everyone is a killer! " Dr. Chaos
    8 on the Break weekly thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194801
    buyproduct wrote: »
    I tested the pdp MKX ps4/ps3 pad with the decoder. It recognized the pad in ps3 mode.
    Good to know!
    -ud
    @undamned I also tested the Hori Hrap 4 kai and Hori Kuro VLX. When they are set to ps3 mode they are also recognized by the decoder.
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    just bought 4 of these bad boys for a top secret project.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
    also had a friend that plays a lot of ps2 games and wants to use his stick on modern consoles, so i'm going to use Laugh's PSX to JAMMA board on that one. Laugh's board doesn't support the guide button so i'm going to have to mount that externally.
    You might also look into Toodles' FGW (Fighting Game Widget) Converter. It's a $15 DIY kit and can decode Playstation 1/2 as well as Sega Saturn. Purchase/info: http://godlikecontrols.com/
    buyproduct wrote: »
    @undamned I also tested the Hori Hrap 4 kai and Hori Kuro VLX. When they are set to ps3 mode they are also recognized by the decoder.
    Great!
    -ud
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,386
    undamned wrote: »
    also had a friend that plays a lot of ps2 games and wants to use his stick on modern consoles, so i'm going to use Laugh's PSX to JAMMA board on that one. Laugh's board doesn't support the guide button so i'm going to have to mount that externally.
    You might also look into Toodles' FGW (Fighting Game Widget) Converter. It's a $15 DIY kit and can decode Playstation 1/2 as well as Sega Saturn. Purchase/info: http://godlikecontrols.com/
    You forgot SNES.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,359
    edited May 2015
    guano wrote: »

db15_laugh.png

Not MIA, just deployed with limited access; being MIA is actually a very scary thing for me being on a military deployment....

My SuperGuns are all wired (if you bought it from me direct) to match the NEO-GEO Pinout (exactly like you linked above, that graphic was borrowed from Laugh at ettoki.com and reposted on my thesupergun.com website for quick reference) with the additional button 5/6 pins. The UD-USB DB15 pinout should mate up with ease. When UD and I discussed it last, they were compatible pinouts; i doubt he would change it.

//OT

I have revamped the MK30 ADCAP to have an interchangeable front panel so that the end user can use DB15s, Wireless via Morpheus, or UD-USB (thanks UD for collaborating on it!) as well as a few other fun updates to make builds faster.

//END OT
    Post edited by Jasen Hicks on
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • ZEROneZEROne Joined: Posts: 57
    edited May 2015
    Once again i would like to thank you for building such a awesome device, works flawlessly!

http://i.imgur.com/5a2O7xD.jpg
    ZEROne wrote: »
    Once again i would like to thank you for building such a awesome device, works flawlessly!

http://i.imgur.com/5a2O7xD.jpg

Yay! Always sexy seeing some SSFIIX running :D
    -ud
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Hey UD, Would it be possible to post a link to the manual PDF in the first post? I had to refresh my brain on the player LED jumper config when I got the Screw terminal version by digging into an email I got a year ago.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
    Hey UD, Would it be possible to post a link to the manual PDF in the first post? I had to refresh my brain on the player LED jumper config when I got the Screw terminal version by digging into an email I got a year ago.
    Good call. I've not been good about keep that stuff easily found! Now under "Resources" in the OP! I also have a manual specifically for the 15 Pin version that I need to put up.
    -ud
  • UltraPandaUltraPanda ... Joined: Posts: 83
    I'd love to know if this will work with a 360 Hori Fighting Edge. For all intents and purposes I don't see why it wouldn't but I am curious.
    Standing Fierce - New Zealand Fighting Game News and Events
    www.standingfierce.com
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,514
    It does
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • triple_leitriple_lei Fan of green-mouthed Zangief Joined: Posts: 100
    Heya, so I bought two of these on a whim, one of which is reserved for a Hori Fighting Commander 4 pad hack.

The other one, I'm still undecided on what to use it for. Would I be able to pair the decoder with an AXISDapter from Toodles and use my FightStick on PSP games via PSPgo or PlayStation TV? (which I guess is more of an AXISDapter question than a decoder question, but...)

Other ideas I had floating around was pairing the decoder with that old Mad Catz Dreamcast controller that I had for proper VMU support (I don't like playing on the 2P side!), or pairing it with a Genesis controller so I could use my stick on an Atari 2600.

Any reason why any of those ideas wouldn't work?
    triple_lei wrote: »
    Heya, so I bought two of these on a whim, one of which is reserved for a Hori Fighting Commander 4 pad hack.

The other one, I'm still undecided on what to use it for. Would I be able to pair the decoder with an AXISDapter from Toodles and use my FightStick on PSP games via PSPgo or PlayStation TV? (which I guess is more of an AXISDapter question than a decoder question, but...)

Other ideas I had floating around was pairing the decoder with that old Mad Catz Dreamcast controller that I had for proper VMU support (I don't like playing on the 2P side!), or pairing it with a Genesis controller so I could use my stick on an Atari 2600.

Any reason why any of those ideas wouldn't work?
    2 Caveats to remember for any of these applications are:
    1. You need 5V to power the Decoder. On older systems like the Genesis, you probably already have 5V at the gamepad, but for other systems you will need to find another 5V source.
    2. Different systems have different Pull Up voltages on the button/direction signals, for example, the Genesis is probably a 5V pull up and PS3 is a 3V pull up. The UD-USB Decoder Screw Terminal version has a Jumper that must be changed to match the desired Pull Up voltage.

- As far as the PSPgo/PSTV, Provided the PS3 controller can connect to the PSPgo or PSTV via Bluetooth and you have a 5V power source for the decoder, yeah, I don't see why not. I don't know anything about controls on PSPgo or PSTV.

- I don't know if the Dreamcast has 5V available anywhere, so you may have to have an external 5V source (cell phone charger would probably work fine).

- Regarding the Genesis controller, if that already works on Atari 2600, then sure!

-ud
  • FourStringL0B0FourStringL0B0 Joined: Posts: 50
    I was curious about something. I want to make one of these for use on xbox one. I have a Hori rap v4 for ps3/ps4.

is it possible to go usb decoder to ps360+ to crossbone to xbox one controller?
    I was curious about something. I want to make one of these for use on xbox one. I have a Hori rap v4 for ps3/ps4.

is it possible to go usb decoder to ps360+ to crossbone to xbox one controller?
    Not sure why you need the PS360 in the chain. Why not Hori rap v4 to usb decoder to crossbone / xbox one controller?
    -ud