Undamned's USB Decoders (USB to JAMMA, etc.) !

Comments

• moegreenmoegreen Joined: Posts: 11
    Thanks for the help
  • blankaexblankaex Joined: Posts: 106
    What exactly would I need to do with this to add Neo Geo support to a Brook UFB stick? How would I wire everything up? What would the end result look like?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,393
    blankaex wrote: »
    What exactly would I need to do with this to add Neo Geo support to a Brook UFB stick? How would I wire everything up? What would the end result look like?

Neo Geo does not need any PCB, you just need to add a DA-15 connector splitting off all your button and joystick inputs.
    NeoGeoCable02Custom.jpg
    800px-DA-15_DSubminiatures.svg.png
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • delti90delti90 Joined: Posts: 38
    Does anyone know the dimensions of the board version? I'm going to attempt to model and print a case for the board and db15 since the DB15 version is no longer in stock anywhere. I'm ordering some but would like to have the case made before I get them.
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    This doesn't really have anything to do with the UD-USB decoders, but essentially you just need to hack a Neo Geo AES extension cable and wire that up to the button/direction signals you wish to use on your UFB PCB. This cable would be fine: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=192
    delti90 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the dimensions of the board version? I'm going to attempt to model and print a case for the board and db15 since the DB15 version is no longer in stock anywhere. I'm ordering some but would like to have the case made before I get them.
    First page of "Manual v.1.0 (8 Button - October 2014)": http://udgametech.blogspot.com/p/firmware.html

Regarding them not being in stock anywhere, I was able to get 30 or so out there (the first few of a big batch I'm in the middle of assembling) last month, but they got eaten up immediately since people were already waiting in line. Hoping to be shipping the rest to Paradise Arcade next weekend (~150 units). This year has been a real zinger. I intend to keep ahead of demand in the future, rather than wait for everything to be sold out before making more.
    -ud
    edited October 2016
    Darksakul wrote: »

Neo Geo does not need any PCB, you just need to add a DA-15 connector splitting off all your button and joystick inputs.
    undamned wrote: »
    This doesn't really have anything to do with the UD-USB decoders, but essentially you just need to hack a Neo Geo AES extension cable and wire that up to the button/direction signals you wish to use on your UFB PCB. This cable would be fine: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=192

Thanks for the answer. I thought I needed some extra hardware to hook up the Neo Geo cable in addition to the UFB. I figured if I use quick disconnects to connect ground and signal on my X button to my UFB, for example, I wouldn't really have anywhere else to connect the Neo Geo cable. I was told this decoder could be helpful but I'm not entirely sure what it does?

Thanks for the answer. I thought I needed some extra hardware to hook up the Neo Geo cable in addition to the UFB. I figured if I use quick disconnects to connect ground and signal on my X button to my UFB, for example, I wouldn't really have anywhere else to connect the Neo Geo cable. I was told this decoder could be helpful but I'm not entirely sure what it does?

Yes you could use the undamned's USB decoder with the Neo Geo, the decoder will turn stick and game pad signals to something Jamma could use.
    But I found the decoder works best with controllers you can't modify, like if you are using a Super Gun or Neo Geo at a tournament and people are bringing their own USB arcade sticks.

One other thing, the Neo Geo pinout does have a pin to provide power, you want that Pin to be tied with the VCC of what ever board you are using.
    Treat installing a Neo Geo cable on a stick with a existing PCB like you would a Dual mod, if not that PCB could act up and interfer with game play.

Yes you could use the undamned's USB decoder with the Neo Geo, the decoder will turn stick and game pad signals to something Jamma could use.
    But I found the decoder works best with controllers you can't modify, like if you are using a Super Gun or Neo Geo at a tournament and people are bringing their own USB arcade sticks.

One other thing, the Neo Geo pinout does have a pin to provide power, you want that Pin to be tied with the VCC of what ever board you are using.
    Treat installing a Neo Geo cable on a stick with a existing PCB like you would a Dual mod, if not that PCB could act up and interfer with game play.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I just need to somehow find a pinout diagram so I know what connects to what and I should be good. Thanks for the info and sorry for going slightly off-topic in your thread.
    edited October 2016
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 142
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I cannot find the screw terminals version anywhere (out of stock on PA, seems not in stock on Akishop).
    @undamed any idea of next batch is comming?
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I cannot find the screw terminals version anywhere (out of stock on PA, seems not in stock on Akishop).

You must have just missed them! Paradise arcade had a bunch of them until recently. I'll try to get another batch to them in January. For anyone who needs the 15-Pin D-Sub version, those should still be in stock there.

-ud

You must have just missed them! Paradise arcade had a bunch of them until recently. I'll try to get another batch to them in January. For anyone who needs the 15-Pin D-Sub version, those should still be in stock there.

-ud

I'll wait for my mod 'till January then. Thanks!

• notworksafenotworksafe To Shine! Joined: Posts: 1,273
    More resilient to voltage spikes. People using the MAK Strike, which can cause massive voltage spikes on the +5V signal of the controller ports, were damaging them.
    -ud
    Do the enclosed decoders on sale at Paradise have this change now? If so do I still need to do the solder trick you posted earlier in the thread? Was considering a MAK Strike but didn't want to fry any decoders.

More resilient to voltage spikes. People using the MAK Strike, which can cause massive voltage spikes on the +5V signal of the controller ports, were damaging them.
    -ud
    Do the enclosed decoders on sale at Paradise have this change now? If so do I still need to do the solder trick you posted earlier in the thread? Was considering a MAK Strike but didn't want to fry any decoders.
    Yes, the 15-Pin D-Sub Decoders at Paradise Arcade now have that hardware change, so no need to modify the MAK Strike. I just hadn't informed Paradise Arcade of the change in the last batch I shipped to them.
    -ud
  • AtariAtari Joined: Posts: 13
    There was some discussion earlier in this thread about new firmware to accommodate ps4 sticks, just wondering if/when it might be available?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,712
    Atari wrote: »
    There was some discussion earlier in this thread about new firmware to accommodate ps4 sticks, just wondering if/when it might be available?

Afaik, still in the works. But on the vast majority of PS4 sticks that I've encountered, they all work on Undamned systems if set to PS3 mode and do the button config as per usual.

The only exception to this is, of course, the PS4 pad, since it doesn't have a selector switch. I hope this changes, as it means Nuckle Du can join our tournaments ^_^

Even the Madcatz PS4 pad works on Undamned since it has a selector switch.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 958
    edited January 31
    is this possible: sixaxis adapter stick >> brook ps4 converterter >> undamned usb >> mc cthulu >> og xbox OR dc ?

the brooks is needed for wireless function?? just remove the sixaxis stick usb from the brooks, and everything else plugged in to console, in my head it fits, not sure if it will work though
    anzhar wrote: »
    is this possible: sixaxis adapter stick >> brook ps4 converterter >> undamned usb >> mc cthulu >> og xbox OR dc ?

the brooks is needed for wireless function?? just remove the sixaxis stick usb from the brooks, and everything else plugged in to console, in my head it fits, not sure if it will work though

You don't need to chain all of those together.

Just dual-mod a Brook PS3/PS4 PCB or Brook Universal Fight PCB with a MC Cthulhu.
    If you use Jasen Hick's new revision to the MC Cthulhu, you can connect everything with the 20 pin expansion connector, all your signals, ground and power will be connected.
    anzhar wrote: »
    But I want wireless function on the old consoles with my sixaxis.....
    Give it up, it's a pipe dream. Chaining that many adapters together is going to introduce a bit of latency, more than the sum total of all the boards separately.

Six Axis pads are a pain in the ass to pad hack and are not common ground. There are adapters for the Six Axis pad like the Axis Adapter or the Leo Board but they both been out of production for a while now.
    The Six Axis mods is not for faint of heart, even with the adapter boards.

If you want wireless play ability look into Jasen Hicks' Morpheus board.
    ive got 5 sixaxis sticks with 4 toodles & 1 shinjn axis adapter, also got 3 extra sixaxis pads for back up or if i can get more axis adapters.

im satisfied using them on ps3, by having UK, USA and Japanese PSN accounts, i have got 99% of all the games i wanna play with stick on my ps3's. This has enabled me to sell off quite a few systems

only want wireless capability for og xbox (wwf wrestlefest and a couple cave shmups on MAME) and dreamcast (ikaruga), but may just solve this by using a pc and buying the games on that, only game i would have to emulate is wwf wrestlefest i think, the rest are ported iirc.
  • NakiNaki 「謎のバイカー」 Joined: Posts: 448
    this is one of those weird 430am thoughts and roughly drawn, but would this work?
    unknown.png
    is this actually feasible or am i just looking at this the entirely wrong way?

I was thinking about just making a box or something for PS2/DC so that's where the MC Cthulhu board comes in. Then the "why not" for the BUFB.
    like this post if you want cfe released on psn/xbla
    cvs2 too
  • ParmParm Joined: Posts: 1
    Is there any estimated dates on the next batch of your USB decoders, undamned??
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,873
    Where can I buy one of the three pin LED connectors? Are they on mouser or another website like that? I haven't been able to find something like the harness from Paradise Arcade, so thanks for any help or insight.

undamned-usb-decoder-extension-harness.jpg
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
    Richter wrote: »
    Where can I buy one of the three pin LED connectors? Are they on mouser or another website like that? I haven't been able to find something like the harness from Paradise Arcade, so thanks for any help or insight.

undamned-usb-decoder-extension-harness.jpg
    The kit is available on Akishop https://www.akishop.jp/pcbs-accessories/325-ud-usb-decoder-extension-kit.html#

Or else, check for "Dupont Connectors".
  • xDEADALIVExxDEADALIVEx FADC Shades Joined: Posts: 7
    i need help, i just bought two of the case style decoders and with my supergun https://www.windygaming.com/products/preorder-windy-gaming-supergun-model-atp-300 im having problems with all 3 kicks. short does not work and forward/roundhouse are switched. i guessing that the ATP-300 is wired up wrong. even if i try to map the buttons manually it does the same thing, plz help im a noob in over my head lol
    Go home be a family man
    Atari wrote: »
    I've given a beta to a few folks and should be hearing back soon. Provided nobody finds any big booboos, probably release next month.
    Naki wrote: »
    this is one of those weird 430am thoughts and roughly drawn, but would this work?
    I bet you could. The only immediate zinger that comes to mind is that you need the UD-USB Decoder powered by 5.0V, so when running on stuff like PSX and newer Nintendo consoles that only put 3.3V on the cable, you need to buy a little "boost" converter to bump it to 5.0V. I can recommend some if you like.
    i need help, i just bought two of the case style decoders and with my supergun https://www.windygaming.com/products/preorder-windy-gaming-supergun-model-atp-300 im having problems with all 3 kicks. short does not work and forward/roundhouse are switched. i guessing that the ATP-300 is wired up wrong. even if i try to map the buttons manually it does the same thing, plz help im a noob in over my head lol
    Yeah, windy boxes are wired a bit different than mine. I've heard from a few other people that encountered this problem and they made (or had someone else make for them) a little DB15 adapter cable that swaps the wires around for them. I can dig up the pinouts for both, if you can't find them.
    -ud
  • xDEADALIVExxDEADALIVEx FADC Shades Joined: Posts: 7
    I see, well from paradise arcade shop I bought that little cable that goes from an actual neogeo extention cable to the db-15. They made it seam like your decoder and that were supposed to be sold together. Idk... should I take that little cable apart and switch the wires or sould I take the supergun apart?
    Go home be a family man
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,766
    edited March 17
    @undamned, I'll also need those boost converters, as I'm planning on rolling two into SNES converters when the next batch rolls out.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized that SNES has 5v.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • SaBomNimSaBomNim Joined: Posts: 13
    @undamned, would it be possible to make adding controllers an open source program, that way the end user could program any controller they want.
    I know I have a few encoders/controllers that are not yet supported and I fully understand that not every controller will be supported but I think if adding controllers is something the end user was able to do it would certainly help the list if controllers grow.
    I see, well from paradise arcade shop I bought that little cable that goes from an actual neogeo extention cable to the db-15. They made it seam like your decoder and that were supposed to be sold together. Idk... should I take that little cable apart and switch the wires or sould I take the supergun apart?
    Yeah, that would actually make a perfect adapter.
    SaBomNim wrote: »
    @undamned, would it be possible to make adding controllers an open source program, that way the end user could program any controller they want.
    I know I have a few encoders/controllers that are not yet supported and I fully understand that not every controller will be supported but I think if adding controllers is something the end user was able to do it would certainly help the list if controllers grow.
    I like the idea, but I'm not ready to open source. I've considered that as a distant-future option, though.
    -ud
    @undamned, Ok would there be a way to add to the list if supported controllers? As if now I can think of 3 controllers/encoders that are not yet supported the zero delay encoder, the xin-mo encoder and game sir controllers.
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 396 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hi! News on the availability? The UD-USB is out of stock on both PAS and AS... :(
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • kooliokoolkooliokool Joined: Posts: 55
    I bet you could. The only immediate zinger that comes to mind is that you need the UD-USB Decoder powered by 5.0V, so when running on stuff like PSX and newer Nintendo consoles that only put 3.3V on the cable, you need to buy a little "boost" converter to bump it to 5.0V. I can recommend some if you like.

I want to do something similar, could you recommend some of those converters?
    @undamned, I sent you a pm with a question I had about your decoders
    @undamned, Ok would there be a way to add to the list if supported controllers? As if now I can think of 3 controllers/encoders that are not yet supported the zero delay encoder, the xin-mo encoder and game sir controllers.
    I already had Zero Delay on my todo list, but I'll put down the other 2 you mentioned. Thanks!
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Hi! News on the availability? The UD-USB is out of stock on both PAS and AS... :(
    AS doesn't carry them, but yeah, I just found out about the 15 pin decoders selling out recently. I recently changed PCB suppliers and got some samples built up. They look fine, so I just ordered production quantities. Hoping to have some back at PAS in 3 weeks.
    kooliokool wrote: »

I want to do something similar, could you recommend some of those converters?
    I've been meaning to do a tutorial for a nice little all-in-one MC Cthulhu / UD-USB Decoder setup, but it got buried under a dozen other things on my todo list. Something like this should do fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172342269140

There's a spot for a USB plug, but just ignore that (it's for people who want to charge their cell phones and stuff). So you would grab the console's controller port power off the MC Cthulhu, run that through the Boost Converter and then run the UD-USB Decoder off of that +5V.
    -ud
  • WindyGamingWindyGaming Joined: Posts: 21
    Yeah, windy boxes are wired a bit different than mine. I've heard from a few other people that encountered this problem and they made (or had someone else make for them) a little DB15 adapter cable that swaps the wires around for them. I can dig up the pinouts for both, if you can't find them.
    -ud

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this thread.

Did you reach out to me, deadalive? I can help you out anyway i can. I am using a different pinout than ud. I leave my pinout publicly posted on the sale page (go through the pics and you will see it) for either making you own stick or for doing custom compatible wiring. Get a neo extension cable and rearrange the wires to ud and use it as a go-between with my box and ud's converter.
    www.windygaming.com
    Rise from your gwave!

Any updates on restocking? Looking to buy four.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Rise from your gwave!

Feels like this year has been stuffing my every move :/ Batches of both Screw Terminal and 15-Pin have been in the queue for over a month. Screw Terminals are scheduled to be assembled this weekend.
    -ud
  • [OCT]Wall-Garants[OCT]Wall-Garants Joined: Posts: 45
    After the new 1.4a beta update do the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers continue to work?
    After the new 1.4a beta update do the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers continue to work?
    They should!
    -ud
    Oops, forgot to post about the latest firmware (PS4/XBONE support). Up on the blog: http://udgametech.blogspot.com/
    -ud
    Rise from your gwave!

Feels like this year has been stuffing my every move :/ Batches of both Screw Terminal and 15-Pin have been in the queue for over a month. Screw Terminals are scheduled to be assembled this weekend.
    -ud

Excellent, if you're able to do direct orders, LMK, I'm definitely needing a couple now for my supergun build.
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 25
    Been having trouble updating the firmware on both the DB15s and terminal block versions of the decoder.

<edit> I found my cable that I think came with the decoder, lights are flashing correctly now. guess it was the cable.

However in the bootloader program, the green bar only gets up to 40% and stays there. All options to load the hex file and program/verify are greyed out.

I let it run while I slept last night for 6 hours and it was still at 40%. Any reason for that?
    Post edited by ShinjiGohan on
  • SirFishouseSirFishouse Owner of Critical Hit Gaming Joined: Posts: 69
    Oops, forgot to post about the latest firmware (PS4/XBONE support). Up on the blog: http://udgametech.blogspot.com/
    -ud
    Hey Undamed, really glad to hear that you've put out this updated firmware. I was reading about the firmware update procedure and how I need to put the board into test mode. Do I need to have access to the test button or can I do the 6 button press with start+select too? I'm using the terminal block version. I don't have the option to wire the test button directly. This if for the inline converter I made for BrolyLegs and it's a sealed unit.

Also, I don't suppose I could ask you for an update on when a shipment of decoders will be available again at PAS? I'm working on a couple projects and I want to try your DB15 flavor. Thanks!
    It's not about what you do right, it's about what you don't do wrong
  • [OCT]Wall-Garants[OCT]Wall-Garants Joined: Posts: 45
    They should!
    -ud

Updated and running perfectly joysticks PS3, PS4, Xbox360, Xbox One. Thanks man
    Hey Undamed, really glad to hear that you've put out this updated firmware. I was reading about the firmware update procedure and how I need to put the board into test mode. Do I need to have access to the test button or can I do the 6 button press with start+select too? I'm using the terminal block version. I don't have the option to wire the test button directly. This if for the inline converter I made for BrolyLegs and it's a sealed unit.
    For the terminal block boards you actually need to be able to ground the TEST signal. No other way. The DB15 version has an integrated button for this reason, since it is inside of a case.
    Also, I don't suppose I could ask you for an update on when a shipment of decoders will be available again at PAS? I'm working on a couple projects and I want to try your DB15 flavor.
    My assembler is working on the terminal blocks this weekend, so perhaps this coming weekend or the next he can start on the 15 pins. After I do the cases and testing, that puts it sometime in July, hopefully.
    -ud
    Is there a ribbon cable version of your ud-usb boards. I saw what looked like your usb board in a paradise arcade, arcade at combobreaker in Chicago.
    Is there a ribbon cable version of your ud-usb boards. I saw what looked like your usb board in a paradise arcade, arcade at combobreaker in Chicago.
    Combobreaker mini cabs did have a special flavour of UD-USB board inside, but nothing to do with ribbon cables. I think they ran the JAMMA connection via ribbon cable?

In other news, a big batch of Terminal Block UD-USB Decoders just shipped to Paradise Arcade Shop today.
    -ud
  • BeatrushBeatrush The guy who runs the stream Joined: Posts: 1,315
    edited June 24
    Hi @Undamned, I had a troubleshooting question I was wondering if you could maybe shed some light on

I recently got around to building my Supergun setup using this board http://retroelectronik.com/en/supergun/145-supergun-progamer-arcade-jamma-autofirevoltmeter-included-5674864654514.html I tried using one of your Undamned DB15 USB Decoder with the latest update.

For some reason, every device I tried with it, the top 3 buttons are all fine (p1, p2, p3) but the botton 3 are (k1, blank, coin). k2 is for some reason the home button and k3 is nowhere to be found. I tried to remap the buttons via the instructions in the PDF and it didnt work. I tested this issue on a xbox360 official controller, Madcatz te2+ (ps4 and ps3 mode), Hori Rap3, Brook universal board, ps3 official board, and a madcatz te round 1 for xbox and they all had the same issue.

Any ideas? Do you think it is the supergun board or should I try reinstalling a different firmware from your site? or should I get a UD-USB Decoder and try that?
    "Mindgames only work on people who actually use their mind" – Airamae