Undamned's USB Decoders (USB to JAMMA, etc.) !

Comments

• TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 715
    Can ud-usb take inputs from a DS4 or XboxOne controller?

Thanks
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Torta wrote: »
    Can ud-usb take inputs from a DS4 or XboxOne controller?

Thanks
    If you read this page you'd know the answer :D

Finally got my programming setup back in shape. Maybe some progress this week.
    -ud
  • FourStringL0B0FourStringL0B0 Joined: Posts: 50
    undamned wrote: »
    I was curious about something. I want to make one of these for use on xbox one. I have a Hori rap v4 for ps3/ps4.

is it possible to go usb decoder to ps360+ to crossbone to xbox one controller?
    Not sure why you need the PS360 in the chain. Why not Hori rap v4 to usb decoder to crossbone / xbox one controller?
    -ud

Just wondering if this would also give you the ability to decode to other consoles as well as xbox one at the same time.

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,366
    I was curious about something. I want to make one of these for use on xbox one. I have a Hori rap v4 for ps3/ps4.

is it possible to go usb decoder to ps360+ to crossbone to xbox one controller?
    Not sure why you need the PS360 in the chain. Why not Hori rap v4 to usb decoder to crossbone / xbox one controller?
    -ud

Just wondering if this would also give you the ability to decode to other consoles as well as xbox one at the same time.
    You mean to use on multiple consoles with a single board all at the same time?
    That really not recommended.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Provided the controller pcbs (hacked pads, whatever) you are connecting to the Decoder outputs all use the same logic levels (+3V or +5V) and are common ground, there's no reason why you can't.
    -ud
    So 1 wired Decoder to multiple PCBs connected to multiple consoles being use simultaneously is okay?
    Darksakul wrote: »
    So 1 wired Decoder to multiple PCBs connected to multiple consoles being use simultaneously is okay?
    If the rules I've laid out are followed, yep. Though, I doubt that's what he actually wants to do. More likely he wants to have the pads all wired together to have the ability to connect to a variety of consoles, but not necessarily all consoles running at the same time.
    -ud
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    edited June 2015
    Provided the controller pcbs (hacked pads, whatever) you are connecting to the Decoder outputs all use the same logic levels (+3V or +5V) and are common ground, there's no reason why you can't.
    -ud

You'd still want to be careful though, because if you are controlling, say, a 360 PCB and an XB1 PCB.. each connected to their respective system at the same time controlled by 1 UD-USB. You'd be uniformly attaching the 5v rail and GND between the two systems' USB.

While those interfaces are generally protected, it doesn't mean some weird stuff couldn't occur.

edit:
    Agreed though, I don't think this is what he wants to do, moreover just have the ability to connect to a variety.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    , but not necessarily all consoles running at the same time
    Yeah thats the part I was referring too

• CaviaCavia Joined: Posts: 12
    Hello,

I bought 2 UD-USB (with case) decoders.
    They clearly work because I've updated them to firmware 1.3 correctly.
    I'm trying the following setup using the famous Supergun MAK Strike.
    [ http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/Supergun-MAK-Strike::74.html ]

- X-Arcade Tankstick with 2in1 PS3 Adapter [ http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/adapters/products/x-arcade-playstation-3-xbox-1-adapter-2in1 ]

- connected to UD-USB

- connected to Supergun MAK Strike DB15 input port.

For some reason, the UD-USB led doesn't go green. Actually, it doesn't output any color at all (so following the manual I cannot really understand what's going on).
    Note that the voltage works perfectly (5V clean), and it also arrives to the Tankstick.

Any idea on how to fix this?
  • phaedrusphaedrus Joined: Posts: 818
    edited July 2015
    So the decoder is not being recognized at all.

Plug it in and i get nothing, no light on the board, no ding that its recognized, nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

i8qaRsg.jpg

Edited:clarity
    Post edited by phaedrus on
    7 button is trap.
  • buyproductbuyproduct Chemist for Hire Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Cavia wrote: »
    Hello,

- X-Arcade Tankstick with 2in1 PS3 Adapter [ http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/adapters/products/x-arcade-playstation-3-xbox-1-adapter-2in1 ]

- connected to UD-USB

- connected to Supergun MAK Strike DB15 input port.

For some reason, the UD-USB led doesn't go green. Actually, it doesn't output any color at all (so following the manual I cannot really understand what's going on).
    Note that the voltage works perfectly (5V clean), and it also arrives to the Tankstick.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Have you tested the setup with a usb device known to recognized by the decoder, such as a dual shock 3 or wired xbox 360 controller? It could just be that the decoder does not recognized that ps3 adapter you are using.
    "weekly 8 on the break tournaments >>> cali majors " skyet
    "Lol, the break is pretty serious when the real players show up, because everyone is a killer! " Dr. Chaos
    8 on the Break weekly thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194801
    Hello,

I've actually had a few people express problems using the Decoders on a MAK-Strike. The first couple cases had other extraneous issues going on, so I couldn't 100% link it to the MAK-Strike, but just recently I had another person contact me and it's clear that there is something "special" about the MAK-Strike. Decoder works fine when user just powers it (not connected to MAK-Strike), but then behaves funny when the outputs are connected to MAK-Strike (like messing up the Decoder's ability to function properly, not just a button mapping issue).

I should have a MAK-Strike in-hand in the next few days for some testing. Just sit tight for the moment and I'll post up when I figure out what's going on.
    -ud
    Hello,

I've actually had a few people express problems using the Decoders on a MAK-Strike. The first couple cases had other extraneous issues going on, so I couldn't 100% link it to the MAK-Strike, but just recently I had another person contact me and it's clear that there is something "special" about the MAK-Strike. Decoder works fine when user just powers it (not connected to MAK-Strike), but then behaves funny when the outputs are connected to MAK-Strike (like messing up the Decoder's ability to function properly, not just a button mapping issue).

I should have a MAK-Strike in-hand in the next few days for some testing. Just sit tight for the moment and I'll post up when I figure out what's going on.
    -ud

Thanks for your prompt support man.

Actually, I'm surprised about this because, according to the MAK-Strike DB15 layout, there is only a swap of connectors 2 and 10 (K3 and K2 according to the UD-USB manual). Everything else is the same.

Anyway, I hope you can figure out this problem finally making your beautiful decoder compatible with an important supergun such as the MAK-Strike.

Thanks.
    Cavia.

Hello,

-ud

Hey man! How is it going?

You got any news ;) ??
  • medisynmedisyn Joined: Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    You got any news ;) ??

I am the dude that sent out the Mak Strike for undamned to test. It will be interesting to see what the root cause is.
    No news on the MAK Strike yet. After messing with it for an evening, I've pretty much been in EVO prep mode. Have to hit it when I get back next week. Only thing strange about the MAK Strike I've noticed is that the power switch is not inline with the controller ports (controller ports are powered all the time, regardless of power switch). Not sure what the reasoning behind that design is, but I don't know why that would matter to the decoders either. I've got an idea to test when I get back.
    -ud
    Nothing guys? If there is more info needed i can provide it, just want what i paid for to work.
    7 button is trap.
    phaedrus wrote: »

Plug it in and i get nothing, no light on the board, no ding that its recognized, nothing.

Any help is appreciated.
    Sorry, when I first read your post, for some reason I thought you were trying to help one of the other guys? I was confused because I didn't understand what your photo had to do with anything!

Ok. Exactly which controller are you plugging into it? have you tried just wiring up 5V and Ground to the appropriate screw terminals and plugging in your controller (with the decoder powered of course)? Do you know for certain you are powering it with 5V (checked with a multimeter/voltmeter)? What do you mean by "no ding that its recognized"? Do you mean you connected it to a PC via USB for firmware update? If so, it won't be recognized by a PC unless in firmware update mode (see the 6-button manual for details on that: http://udgametech.blogspot.com/p/firmware.html).
    -ud
    phaedrus wrote: »

Any help is appreciated.
    Sorry.....
    -ud

Thanks for the reply

I tried a fighting edge, Hori FC4 and a MCZ Pro controller to a MCC. The MCC is recognized.

I will test the rest at home. I want to say i put it in FW update mode but i may have done it wrong.

Appreciate the help, will get back to you when i test tomorrow.
    7 button is trap.
  • galcha51galcha51 Joined: Posts: 5
    Hi !

I have bought a DB-15 version of your encoder. Really nice piece of hardware !
    I use it with a madcatz controller, a SmallCab Supergun (http://www.smallcab.net/supergun-light-p-270.html?osCsid=9g6ioti5iqv3qkvm1s6bdo2426), and a CPS2 board.
    To be able to use kicks, I have a kick harness connected to JAMMA pins 25 to 27.

I tried to make it work together, and in fact, it doesn't. Medium kick becomes coin, and Roundhouse kick isn't recognized.

I figured out that in fact, the DB-15 pin layout isn't the same between the decoder and my supergun.

So I'm stuck. Is there any mean to remap the pin layout on the ud-usb decoder, or anything?

Thank you in advance, guys.
    edited July 2015
    galcha51 wrote: »
    Hi !

I have bought a DB-15 version of your encoder. Really nice piece of hardware !
    I use it with a madcatz controller, a SmallCab Supergun (http://www.smallcab.net/supergun-light-p-270.html?osCsid=9g6ioti5iqv3qkvm1s6bdo2426), and a CPS2 board.
    To be able to use kicks, I have a kick harness connected to JAMMA pins 25 to 27.

I tried to make it work together, and in fact, it doesn't. Medium kick becomes coin, and Roundhouse kick isn't recognized.

I figured out that in fact, the DB-15 pin layout isn't the same between the decoder and my supergun.

So I'm stuck. Is there any mean to remap the pin layout on the ud-usb decoder, or anything?

Thank you in advance, guys.
    Yo!

As much as the Smallcab page claims that the controller ports follow Neo Geo pinout, they don't. Whoever designed that thing put Button 5 where "Select" on the Neo Geo controller should be. That is part of your Coin problem, because most people (myself, included) use Select for Coin. Smallcab designer instead makes their own Coin signal ("IC") out of Pin 10 on the controller port, which I and others use for Button 5 or medium kick, as you've discovered.

The other problem is you should not be wiring the kick harness to any of the JAMMA signals (except GND, perhaps, but not necessary as GND is already connected via the JAMMA edge). Those are completely separate. It appears there are screw terminals on the supergun which you could wire into, but again, there is no remedy for the Coin problem unless you cut those traces and wire them appropriately. It's not a hard mod to do, just frustrating to have to do it because of a silly layout. It appears all that is necessary for each controller port is to bridge Pin 9 to Pin 2, and to cut/swap traces for Pin 10 and Pin 3. There are monster pads to solder to, so once the traces are cut, soldering should be a breeze.

Yes, there is a button mapping mode on the Decoders, but Start and Select/Coin are not (re)mappable (those are reserved as "special" buttons for various modes). If you didn't get a manual from wherever you purchased them, you can find it here, too: http://udgametech.blogspot.com/p/firmware.html

Hope that helps!
    -ud
    edited July 2015
    double post :(

edited July 2015
    Ok, I came to the same conclusion that I had to mod the supergun. I'll try to do that, and in case I screw up, is there a supergun you're sure that works fine? I'm from France, so maybe the one from arcadeforge ?

Thanks again!

Edit :
    I see how to bridge pin 9 to 2 by soldering (I do not have a screw terminal version in fact, soldering all the way for me).
    I can also cut traces for pin 10 / 3, but then, I don't know how I should solder them, from where to where.
    (Sorry, I'm not really used to modding anything, what do you mean by monster pads?)
    Post edited by galcha51 on
    double post :(

Hey Undamned, welcome back!

Any news about the MAK Strike?
    Let us know!

Thanks.
  • ZEROneZEROne Joined: Posts: 57
    edited July 2015
    galcha51 you do not need to mod your supergun, I have a smallcab supergun as well and the ud decoders work just fine.Also, is was cool meeting you at evo Brian.

-Ruben
    Post edited by ZEROne on
    Hi ZEROne, thanks for the response. You didn't have to do anything in particular? I had to. I'm still missing Mk, but Hk is good, I wired the pin 2 to the ninth, and it works. Maybe you have the deluxe version?
  • ZEROneZEROne Joined: Posts: 57
    edited July 2015
    Sorry i didn't read your post thoroughly i was at work at the time. I have the screw terminal decoder, my apologies.
    Oh ok, no problem. I should have taken that one, but I didn't know about the db-15 layout difference :neutral:

Let us know!
    Been a busy week since return from EVO, but I should have a free morning on Saturday. Will hopefully have an answer for you guys then!
    Oh ok, no problem. I should have taken that one, but I didn't know about the db-15 layout difference :neutral:

I see how to bridge pin 9 to 2 by soldering (I do not have a screw terminal version in fact, soldering all the way for me).
    I can also cut traces for pin 10 / 3, but then, I don't know how I should solder them, from where to where.
    (Sorry, I'm not really used to modding anything, what do you mean by monster pads?)
    15 Pin D-Sub version is definitely the more elegant solution, so don't feel too bad :D

What I mean by "monster" pads is the Neo Geo connectors on the supergun have large pins soldered to the PCB, which makes it easy on you. Also there should be large pins on the bottom of the supergun for that big screw terminal connector you wired your kick harness into. After cutting the appropriate traces, solder a wire from the bottom of B5 on that big screw terminal connector to Pin 10 on the Neo Geo connector (do that for both Player 1 and Player 2 connectors). If you wish to wire up Coin 1 and Coin 2 (it appears there is a button on the supergun for coin, so you may not care about this), solder a wire from JAMMA Pin 16 to Player 1 Neo Geo connector Pin 3 and solder a wire from JAMMA Pin "T" to Player 2 Neo Geo connector Pin 3.
    -ud
    Thank you, I see what to do now. Button 6 seems to work (just tried to connect the pins, I do not have a soldering iron atm), and I assume it will work well for button 5 too.

Let us know!
    Been a busy week since return from EVO, but I should have a free morning on Saturday. Will hopefully have an answer for you guys then!

Thanks man. Let us know, so we can finally start using the decoders with the MAK Strike (hopefully)!

Let us know!

15 Pin D-Sub version is definitely the more elegant solution, so don't feel too bad :D

What I mean by "monster" pads is the Neo Geo connectors on the supergun have large pins soldered to the PCB, which makes it easy on you. Also there should be large pins on the bottom of the supergun for that big screw terminal connector you wired your kick harness into. After cutting the appropriate traces, solder a wire from the bottom of B5 on that big screw terminal connector to Pin 10 on the Neo Geo connector (do that for both Player 1 and Player 2 connectors). If you wish to wire up Coin 1 and Coin 2 (it appears there is a button on the supergun for coin, so you may not care about this), solder a wire from JAMMA Pin 16 to Player 1 Neo Geo connector Pin 3 and solder a wire from JAMMA Pin "T" to Player 2 Neo Geo connector Pin 3.
    -ud

Any news? Please, let us play with our PS3 sticks :) :).
  • yogaboyyogaboy Joined: Posts: 65
    For those having problems with the MAK supergun try to turn on the supergun on/off switch before connecting the power supply unit
    Easiest solution that would please almost everyone -> a decent port. That is, the DC version of ST running on a PS4/XBOX.
    Difficult part -> get capcom involved. Whoever achieves that gets the golden egg and solves the problem for once and for all. Period ;)
    Keep your shirts on, my day job is killing me :|

Had some time to play with it over the weekend, but since my brain is so fried from work, I keep forgetting to bring the oscilloscope home. I can at least conclude it's a power related thing. I am baffled as to the reasoning behind the power layout. +5V is always connected to the controller port (any time you have power connected to the MAK Strike, it is running to the controller port, even if the power switch on the MAK Strike is turned off O_o). When the Power Switch on the MAK Strike is turned on, there is some sort of voltage spike that is killing/damaging the decoders (yes, I sacrificed 2 of them verifying what happens). Once I get my oscilloscope home from work I can see how gross the voltage spike is. If it is minor (which I highly doubt) I will need to modify the Decoders to be more robust. If it is as gross as I think it is, there's a simple mod that can be done to the MAK Strike to circumvent this problem. I will post up when I get more info. Sorry for the delay, guys. Just trying to stay sane with my day job.
    -ud
    edited July 2015
    yogaboy wrote: »
    For those having problems with the MAK supergun try to turn on the supergun on/off switch before connecting the power supply unit

Nope, I get no led response at all from the UDUSB decoder if I turn on the MAK Strike before connecting the powerplug.
    Instead, if I plug the decoder when there is already electricity in the MAK Strike, then the decoder flashes exactly twice a red light and then it dies.

Thanks anyway!
    Keep your shirts on, my day job is killing me :|

Had some time to play with it over the weekend, but since my brain is so fried from work, I keep forgetting to bring the oscilloscope home. I can at least conclude it's a power related thing. I am baffled as to the reasoning behind the power layout. +5V is always connected to the controller port (any time you have power connected to the MAK Strike, it is running to the controller port, even if the power switch on the MAK Strike is turned off O_o). When the Power Switch on the MAK Strike is turned on, there is some sort of voltage spike that is killing/damaging the decoders (yes, I sacrificed 2 of them verifying what happens). Once I get my oscilloscope home from work I can see how gross the voltage spike is. If it is minor (which I highly doubt) I will need to modify the Decoders to be more robust. If it is as gross as I think it is, there's a simple mod that can be done to the MAK Strike to circumvent this problem. I will post up when I get more info. Sorry for the delay, guys. Just trying to stay sane with my day job.
    -ud

Go man! You are our only hope :) :)
    At least, I hope I didn't burn any of my decoders by connecting them to the MAK Strike.
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    Just wanted to post that we used two superguns setup with undamned's usb decorders at the Evo 3s side tourney this year and it worked out great! We had one guy who plays only on a stick meant to mimic keyboard (it has keyboard buttons aligned similar to a standard keyboard setup but connected to a 360 or PS3 PCB) and he usually only plays on Fightcade. Since the 3s community mostly plays on arcade he doesn't have many opportunities to play the game offline. He heard that we were using undamned's decoders and he told me it was the reason he came to Evo this year. It basically made arcade 3s more accessible to someone who was interested in it but doesn't usually get to play on it because of the controller he's used to using.

And he was a cool guy to boot!

We tested input lag vs our arcade cabinet and found that if there was a difference, it was neglible enough to fall within our margin of error. All around I think these decoders are great and I recommend them to any player or community where arcade is still the standard and making that more accessible is a goal.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    I'm not sure if it's been tested lately, but when a few of the socal ST players were "beta" testing the Undamned USB encoders to make sure they worked and had minimal input delay, at it's worst, it had maybe 1/4 frame of input delay, which is extremely negligible and well worth its' benefits.

If anyone tells me they can feel 1/4 frame of input delay, I'd call you insane.
  • FattyWinnarzFattyWinnarz Joined: Posts: 328
    eltrouble wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been tested lately, but when a few of the socal ST players were "beta" testing the Undamned USB encoders to make sure they worked and had minimal input delay, at it's worst, it had maybe 1/4 frame of input delay, which is extremely negligible and well worth its' benefits.

Clearly you haven't seen the stick lag thread lol

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    eltrouble wrote: »

Clearly you haven't seen the stick lag thread lol

Good God, I almost forgot about that thread. So cringeworthy, lol.