Undamned's USB Decoders (USB to JAMMA, etc.) !

Comments

• undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,687
    The PS1 dual shock pad has 2 voltage points, a 3.3 for buttons and 7.7 for rumble. So I tapped the 3.3 and set the jumper to 3v.
    Ok, that's your problem. The Pull-Up jumper is not selecting supply voltage. The Pull-Up jumper selects what logic level you want the button signals pulled up to. The screw terminal version of the decoder can technically run with 3.3V feeding the "5V" terminal, but the USB controller you are plugging into it certainly cannot. "5V" terminal means 5V for a reason :)
    Another possibility would be to hack a USB cable and send that cable into the project box along with the PS1 controller pcb and tap it that way.
    That's what I was referring to when I mentioned stealing 5V from PS2 USB port.

Without doing any digging, I'm guessing the 7V on the PS2 controller port is used to run the rumble motors, which means it can likely provide a lot of current. If that is indeed the case, a solid power solution would be to tap the 7V line from the PS2 controller and use a 7805 voltage regulator to drop it down to 5V to power the decoder.
    -ud
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,298
    undamned wrote: »
    Without doing any digging, I'm guessing the 7V on the PS2 controller port is used to run the rumble motors, which means it can likely provide a lot of current. If that is indeed the case, a solid power solution would be to tap the 7V line from the PS2 controller and use a 7805 voltage regulator to drop it down to 5V to power the decoder.
    -ud
    the 7 volt line is used for rumble
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Super duct-tape-gun, ftw! :D
    -ud
  • slash5150slash5150 Naptime? Joined: Posts: 3,616 mod
    After seeing this I don't feel so bad about mine anymore lol
    I Stream Stuff! - http://twitch.tv/teamkhaos
  • 69mustang69mustang Joined: Posts: 140
    UNW4NT3D wrote: »
    I took a few pictures whilst setting my decoders up, I figure you guys might find it interesting so here it goes!

Here's my pre-udusb setup. Custom 2 player stick by Br0ken_Engli5h hooked up with DB15 to a supergun MAK strike made by bencao74/arcadeforge.net. Powered by an old PC power supply and hooked up to a Toshiba CRT i found in the trash at my old apartment building :)

I had some problems getting the decoders to work when using my maplin bought 15 core cable. I can only assume there was some sort of short in the cable somewhere but the boards simply wouldn't work when I used this cable. I settled with using lots of individual pieces of this solid core cable I found in my big box of discarded tech stuff.... Messy!

I tidied it up a little bit with some cable ties and gave them their first play test session with a few local guys. Everything's working perfectly at this point but I can't use this setup to run tournaments on, with the exposed PCBs and loose wires something's bound to go wrong.

My original plan was to build some proper cases for the decoders and sit them either side of the CRT (which I've upgraded to a much nicer Sony Trinitron) with the arcade board itself behind the CRT out of sight. With my new plan of mounting neutrik adapters to the CRT in the distance and my first all USB tournament a couple of days away, I had no time or money to build cases for the decoders.... A little duct tape later, I had my very own idiot proof, finger proof USB supergun!

You should be taking the audio from the CPS2 A-board and not from the harness. You'll get beautiful stereo sound.

69mustang wrote: »
    UNW4NT3D wrote: »
    I took a few pictures whilst setting my decoders up, I figure you guys might find it interesting so here it goes!

Here's my pre-udusb setup. Custom 2 player stick by Br0ken_Engli5h hooked up with DB15 to a supergun MAK strike made by bencao74/arcadeforge.net. Powered by an old PC power supply and hooked up to a Toshiba CRT i found in the trash at my old apartment building :)

I had some problems getting the decoders to work when using my maplin bought 15 core cable. I can only assume there was some sort of short in the cable somewhere but the boards simply wouldn't work when I used this cable. I settled with using lots of individual pieces of this solid core cable I found in my big box of discarded tech stuff.... Messy!

I tidied it up a little bit with some cable ties and gave them their first play test session with a few local guys. Everything's working perfectly at this point but I can't use this setup to run tournaments on, with the exposed PCBs and loose wires something's bound to go wrong.

My original plan was to build some proper cases for the decoders and sit them either side of the CRT (which I've upgraded to a much nicer Sony Trinitron) with the arcade board itself behind the CRT out of sight. With my new plan of mounting neutrik adapters to the CRT in the distance and my first all USB tournament a couple of days away, I had no time or money to build cases for the decoders.... A little duct tape later, I had my very own idiot proof, finger proof USB supergun!

You should be taking the audio from the CPS2 A-board and not from the harness. You'll get beautiful stereo sound.
    getting the audio as close to the source as possible is always the best solution.
  • QmznQmzn Joined: Posts: 1
    Made an account to say that this is a fantastic idea. I've wanted something like this for years (especially for NG AES). I look forward to the production versions, and hope supply can keep up with demand.

Thank you, undamned.
    Darksakul wrote: »
    getting the audio as close to the source as possible is always the best solution.
    In that case, time to do a digital audio mod :) CPS2 does actually have I2s digital audio which can be handled like the Sega Saturn digital audio mod (convert to S/PDIF), I believe. Never tried it, though.
    -ud

• [OCT]Wall-Garants[OCT]Wall-Garants Joined: Posts: 45
    Brian was traveling to work and only got to test my converters now however it was not successful as my power supply is oscillating much I called the converters in other external power supply 5V and put only 3 punches JAMMA only make a rapid test for I'm out of time.
    the converters are only with the green led and not enter into mapping mode
    you could explain to me why it did not work? I can use other power source other than the JAMMA? or so I have to ride all buttons and commands to it please mapping mode?
    in the image below explains better what I did
    thank you

cov.jpg
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,535
    you could explain to me why it did not work? I can use other power source other than the JAMMA? or so I have to ride all buttons and commands to it please mapping mode?

From the instructions sheet:
    undamned wrote:
    Some controllers may not be properly handled by the firmware yet and may not enter re-mapping mode, due to not all buttons being recognized. If you encounter this, try holding more than 3 buttons when plugging in the controller.

What controller/joystick are you plugging into the UD-USB?
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    Regular arcade power supply should be fine. I'm not sure what you mean by "JAMMA Positive" in your photo. To enter button mapping mode, hold 3 buttons on your PS3/X360 controller while plugging in. Keep buttons held down until LED blinks Green (takes ~3 seconds). Did I send you an instruction manual for the decoder?
    -ud

edited June 2014
    Sorry for the bad English I'm using google translator. Yeah Brian you send me the manual, when I refer 3 positive jamma is who are the 3 punches without GND only understand the positive
    now installed with all the drive and directional buttons worked fine but not yet entered into mapping mode let the 3 buttons pressed and nothing let all the buttons and nothing
    what could it be?
    Which PS3/X360 controller are you using with the decoder?
    -ud
    tested with xbox 360, ps3 and arcade pcb paewang
    edited June 2014
    Brian I was not leaving the tight buttons before connecting the control so it did not get into mapping mode.
    the video is running all the test ready after I post another video with the converters installed and organized. thank you

Brian I was not leaving the tight buttons before connecting the control so it did not get into mapping mode.
    the video is running all the test ready after I post another video with the converters installed and organized. thank you
    Glad you got it figured out! :D
    -ud
    edited July 2014
    Converters already installed .
    thank you Undamned
    D9TPMB1CxdfJtDo1WFlnj5IxUdTBkF8K3tlfkAayIQ4=w276-h207-p-no WK_Zjp8tLjAjcLwkG4JVkYY-UHGkdXYz9cPJFjUPlcU=w276-h207-p-no
    [url="

Post edited by [OCT]Wall-Garants on
    Converters already installed .
    thank you Undamned
    Excellent demonstration! :D
    -ud

• SpoonzSpoonz Trinigamer Joined: Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does this work with the MC Cthulu? I'd like to try this with a dreamcast but I'm having a helluva time finding dreamcast pads in my country.
    Don't fight for victory, fight to improve yourself. Victory will follow
  • SolminSolmin Joined: Posts: 160
    Any converters available? :)
  • UnforgivenIIUnforgivenII Joined: Posts: 1
    I was hoping these were available as well. ???
  • FearlessFearless Joined: Posts: 407
    edited July 2014
    Can I use this converter with a Type X2 board?
    -And then you asked: What the Hell are you!?

Well, I shall say... I'm God's left hand... Devil's right arm...
  • yoooooonyoooooon bang your mom Joined: Posts: 583
    need some of these in my LIFEEEEE <3
    i rule! you suck!
    txsfc!
  • stereomonkeystereomonkey Joined: Posts: 5
    I'm looking at getting 4 of these bad boys for a supergun tournament rig.
  • PrinceMurphyPrinceMurphy Joined: Posts: 322
    Guess I'll join the UD Harassment Force. When's the 8 button version?
    Hey, guys. Sorry I've been MIA for a while. Finally getting back to things after new baby, EVO, out of town guest, etc.,etc. I'll try and post up soon w/ answers to questions and some updated info!
    -ud
    undamned wrote: »
    Finally getting back to things after new baby
    Congrats.

New baby, that all I needed to hear.
  • emphaticemphatic Joined: Posts: 478
    Wow, another baby? Congrats!
    I love shmups and never play fighting games.
    Here's my Guwange stick: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=197
    Dude congrats on dat new kid! :)
  • phaedrusphaedrus Joined: Posts: 818
    Congrats!!! Babies do suck up time to do other things. I can attest to that.

7 button is trap.
  • ParryPerson.ParryPerson. It is done. Joined: Posts: 4,011
    China don goofed and only sent me one ZD Encoder, and it took 5 weeks. I'm pretty miffed.
    Can I use an Undamned for wiring arcade controls straight to a PC without any drivers? Would I still need to wire an outside 5v?

I am not a smart man and shorted out one of the 2 I had, so this seems like my only option (other than waiting 5 more weeks for china).
    #LAFGC on EFNet

<MrWizard> ive pre banned parry from evo south
    <[Parry]> This is because I ditched helping on the smash brackets isn't it
    <MrWizard> yep
  • 69mustang69mustang Joined: Posts: 140
    China don goofed and only sent me one ZD Encoder, and it took 5 weeks. I'm pretty miffed.
    Can I use an Undamned for wiring arcade controls straight to a PC without any drivers? Would I still need to wire an outside 5v?

I am not a smart man and shorted out one of the 2 I had, so this seems like my only option (other than waiting 5 more weeks for china).

No the Undamned converter has a USB connector for inputs from a PS3/360 controller and outputs them to separate signals for use with a Supergun. It does not work then other way around.
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,389
    edited August 2014
    @69mustang‌ - you can do it with a Morpheus board ... Wireless or wired. Your choice.

Edit - sorry @ParryPerson.‌

Edit 2 - Congrats UD! Now you go from flying to walking again.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • emphaticemphatic Joined: Posts: 478
    Great work!
    I love shmups and never play fighting games.
    Here's my Guwange stick: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=197
  • FearlessFearless Joined: Posts: 407
    Great to hear that! And yeah, I will use a Capcom I/O converter with JAMMA harness, so technically it should work.
    -And then you asked: What the Hell are you!?

Well, I shall say... I'm God's left hand... Devil's right arm...
  • JedahsMinistryJedahsMinistry BattousaiCV Joined: Posts: 542
    Will the new batch be the DB-15 versions?
    Gettysburg, PA
    Netplay Poverty - http://www.twitch.tv/randomalt
    X-Men COTA and stuff - http://www.youtube.com/user/BattousaiCV
    Blurbs about games - http://twitter.com/BattousaiCV
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,535
    Good to hear about the baby! I don't have any of my own just yet, but hopefully in the near future. :)

Also good to hear about the new batch of UD-USBs; I definitely need a few more. Keep us updated! :)
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    Excited I am.