New ST?

2

Comments

  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    Jizzon wrote: »
    Who wants to see a perfectly balanced game? It would be much nicer to have one where the potential of the entire cast is maximized.

    Perfectly balanced games don't exist, nor does anybody actually want them. Nobody has ever ever played any 'perfectly balanced game' for any lengthy period of time. If anything, making things perfectly balanced makes it boring.
  • JizzonJizzon ...or Thenarus, whichever. Joined: Posts: 650
    edited December 2013
    Karate Champ was great when it was basically all we had!

    We're very much on the same page here; sorry if I didn't communicate that effectively. Allow me to clarify:

    Really, who wants to see a "perfectly balanced" game? It would be much nicer to have one where the potential of the entire cast is maximized, instead of worrying about everything being as close to 50/50 as possible.

    Sure, a few things could be toned down, but overall I'd be more amped to play a version where even the O.Blankas and O.DeeJays of the world could be feared at a high level, with their own subtleties and tricks really fleshed out. The community is full of both solid ideas and talent to tweak them, so why not if it's in the spirit of ST?
  • ffffffffffffff Joined: Posts: 155
    I'm sure it's possible, but I've never done anything like that myself. It might be worth trying. If one were to start it and keep at it as a side project every once in a while, you could probably figure it out :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_hacking

    While I think ST is pretty awesome the way it is, a very pure game with a lot of BS that's fun to try and work around, playing around with a rebalanced version might be nice. I'd probably keep most of the core components in place, and maybe try and modify some of the hitboxes to make some of the O. characters just a tiny bit more viable, and also add a hurtbox or bigger hurtbox to Supers. It's a personal preference, but I'm not really a fan of supers being used just to blow through attacks. I'd rather they have more general utility. I wouldn't fix N.Hawk's phantom hurtbox because it's funny.

    Ultimately, I've often considered making my own 2D fighter that borrows a lot from ST and Alpha 2. I really like the speed of the game, the power of single hit damage, the dizzy factors (and I'm ok with random dizzy, tbh), 0-frame throws. There's a lot of power in indie games at the moment. You don't need to work off an existing game or have the power of a publisher in order to create a game that has impact in the community, so your efforts might be best used on something completely fresh, rather than trying to alter what many consider to be a sacred game.
  • ISIMORNISIMORN CLAW Joined: Posts: 74
    There can't be a new Street Fighter 2 if it's not released in the arcades. The community is too attached to this way of playing, it can't be considered as the last true version, it wouldn't be legitimate successor.
  • ISIMORNISIMORN CLAW Joined: Posts: 74
    The only exemple of HDR having replaced ST I have found is the Australian Community.
  • Axel KellyAxel Kelly Joined: Posts: 1,481
    blitzfu wrote: »
    Give it an international release on PC plus GGPO netcode, and that's it

    this is the only thing that matters

    the game doesn't need to be changed at all
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    ISIMORN wrote: »
    The only exemple of HDR having replaced ST I have found is the Australian Community.

    Was ST ever prevalent there to begin with? If not, then I wouldn't say it replaced ST, but more found it's own niche there.
  • hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    eltrouble wrote: »
    Was ST ever prevalent there to begin with? If not, then I wouldn't say it replaced ST, but more found it's own niche there.

    As far as I know (especially in NZ) HF is the game of choice there.
    _______________________________________________________________
    STRevival

    Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Kuroppi wrote: »
    The reason I always heard HDR wasn't released in Japan was because of some legal/licensing issues? Whatever that means.

    I'd love to hear the reason behind that. Capcom claiming they couldn't release their own IP in its own country sounds hilariously baffling. I wonder if Sirlin knows?
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • delatroydelatroy My Blue Boat Joined: Posts: 293
    edited January 2014
    Give it an international release on PC plus GGPO netcode, and that's it

    Could / would Capcom do this at some stage? The did re-release the SNES SF2 games on the Wii recently however someone mentioned at some stage that because ST is an arcade game, it complicates matters somehow because of the arcade license and the red tape that goes along with that.

    In any case, a PC / console release would need to be a derivative of ST - a port, because you'll need to add netcode, middleware for match making, rankings, tournament support, etc so I don't know if the finished product would then be still considered "ST arcade" and all the license rigmarole that goes along with it. Maybe it's a non issue.

    When describing what it would be like it does smell a lot like HDR doesn't it? It may be more realistic to bring HDR to PC / next gen consoles but then again.. why when there's no real need when many still have a PS3 / 360 and when the prices of the last gen consoles have just dropped significantly.

    That said, there's many people that haven't moved to HDR because they grew up with and more comfortable with ST which is unfortunate from one perspective because it's divided the community. If we could get an updated version of GGPO / Supercade that's more accessible (Steam listed), this to me would be brilliant to increase the player base however it's not realistic because it's an emulation.

    Even assuming whatever red tape would be waived, all in all it seems hard for Capcom to justify a new ST release from a commercial perspective right now on any platform even though things are far from ideal as they stand.

    I suggest that the only practical way to improve the situation is that the ST community takes on the responsibility to take care of things for themselves as they've done so in the past with new and improved features, improved accessibility, better support for Win7/8, rankings, tournaments and so forth.
    Post edited by delatroy on
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    edited January 2014
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

    ST already has 33 characters...

    I've been ignoring your troll posts for the past couple of months... But I gotta admit, this one was subtle enough I thought it was funny.

    Akuma doesn't count as a character =p There's 32.


    RoGE9 wrote: »
    Don't see how removing super versions of the characters is really that bad, I'd rather have one complete character with the balancing focused mainly on him/her and not two different versions. I love what they did with HDR Ken btw.

    Say if we did make another version of ST though, I'd love the hitstun on certain jump attacks to be a bit longer if that was possible. Just think it's silly how your opponent can grab you after you've landed a successful hit.

    The thing is, the old characters play differently than the new ones, have their own unique weaknesses and strengths, Yes, generally the newer versions of the character are higher tier. But that's not to say the old characters are not balanced or incomplete.

    I suck with N ryu, pretty decent with old.
    o.ken's fireball game is AMAZING, new ken, I find I'm just scambling to do tick grab loop most of the time.

    and actually. I've worked on n ryu and n ken more than I have o ryu and o ken. their playstyles are different. It's not just an issue of "buffs" and "nerfs" or having something that's "complete" or "incomplete" or even an issue of balance.

    don't think of them as two "versions" of the same character. really think of them as different characters. It's not so much of a stretch seeing how SF4 has a zillion shotos now with probably a few more coming for ultra.

    And I'm sure other people can tell you the same thing with other o characters. Here in toronto we have people choosing o and n hawk for different reasons, o and n guile, honda, etc...

    UltraDavid plays O honda IIRC.

    This is especially apparent if you look at the year they used HSF for tournaments, or even now a days when you watch a set of HSF casuals. Nobody takes that game seriously competitively anymore, but when you play it. you choose different versions of the characters because they play differently. Try playing ST blanka the same way you would HF blanka. It just doesn't work. HF blanka is a complete, original character in his own right which you have to respect. (damn that n.j. rh)
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    Are people still arguing over which version of the game is superior? Really?

    Where is that Godzilla face palm..... I am sure I can find some where....

    /teasing
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • JasonWalravenJasonWalraven Joined: Posts: 158
    edited January 2014
    If you are interested, just start working on it yourself. People have created and play some of the SF4 mods, if you make a fun one someone will play it with you. If I was to want to do a mod, I would want to make ST versions of some of the Alpha, 3S, and SF4 characters
  • MarsflashMarsflash BGG BITCHES!! Joined: Posts: 401
    edited January 2014
    ST is in the books, no new versions should be made. It is what it is. No need for another flash version of the game. Thanks :)
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    I think the solution to this is everyone adapting the Dream Cast ST version as a universal standard and that would solve everyones problems. If I remember correctly, the DC version had dip switches that let you fix glitches that the original had. Like ken, sagat, and sim not being able to super on wakeup. I think that is pretty much the only thing that needs to be changed. But I don't really think I like the idea of sim being able to super on wakeup, too OP.

    The ST vs HDR thing was pretty dumb. Guys that were super critical and vocal about HDR don't even show up to support ST, so I don't know what their problem was. Guys that are going to support SF2 are going to support no matter what. The socal HDR crew switched to ST once HDR died so in that regard, I think our voice is what matters most. I remember being at Norcal regionals and this one dude was in the room going off on HDR. "This game is garbage, Sirlin sucks dick. ST is the best version ever". I never seen that cat in an ST tourney ever, and still haven't since. I was trying to get his insight as to why he hated HDR so much, but he was a broken record. He just kept looping everything he said previously over and over.

    All the infighting in our community really made us look like bickering assholes. That helped to make sure we would not get any new blood into the scene. That's how I saw what was going on. Anyway, my 2 cents. Not that it means anything. Carry on.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • MarsflashMarsflash BGG BITCHES!! Joined: Posts: 401
    How about the ps1(with alpha 2 gold and super) port dun? ps2s are still easily accessable :D lol. I heard great reviews about that one. looks sick!
  • mikeidgemikeidge Joined: Posts: 565
    With the release of the udcps2, I think arcade board is the way to go. There's plenty of them out there... And I like the aura /mystique that comes with playing ST on a true arcade setup. Cabs are always best but supergun is next best thing.
  • puppup Joined: Posts: 118
    ....so no ?
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    mikeidge wrote: »
    With the release of the udcps2, I think arcade board is the way to go. There's plenty of them out there... And I like the aura /mystique that comes with playing ST on a true arcade setup. Cabs are always best but supergun is next best thing.

    I agree. Personally, while UD-CPS2 can't replace playing on a cab for me, it really is an amazing device and it is the closest you can come to a perfect setup for the US scene. No one can complain about it being not arcade perfect and you can use your weapon of choice on there for your stick or controller.

    Shhh... ST in da house!

    www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,369
    HDR fixed most of ST problems. I dont think you need to change anything to make it fresh. The game is great already, i think you just need new bloods to freshen up the game. Im hoping PS4/Xbox One re-release it, with the console's stream/record function would be enough to revive the game. Maybe add a real tournament mode & your set!

    To add the argument of why HDR died. Its obvious the ST crowd poison the well. You dont need Japan or other countries to make it relevant. It doesn't even have to be a good game, as long as the community embraces it; its good to go.
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    edited January 2014
    I personally dont mind the dreamcast version.I know I carry my VMU with me if Theres ever a chance of playing ST on dreamcast so I can just load up the dip switches.

    But having an arcade board there gives the extra bonus of "wtf is THAT" which certainly doesn't hurt when trying to get attention/new blood into the scene.

    For that matter, I dont even mind HDR with classic sprites (its not because I'm picky about the art style, but the sprites dont line up exactly with the original, chuns cr.Mk for example, I find myself whiffing max distance pokes because her foot extends ever so slightly more than the original sprite. Switch to classic sprites, and the problems gone)... Just wish there wasn't the input lag to screw up timings. That's the major issue with HDR IMO. But people who really support ST will play it anyway if its the best solution available (no board & no dreamcast)



    And about the gameplay changes on HDR (non classic)... I dont like/agree with many changes, but it doesn't really kill the game for me. I still enjoy it.
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    mikeidge wrote: »
    With the release of the udcps2, I think arcade board is the way to go. There's plenty of them out there... And I like the aura /mystique that comes with playing ST on a true arcade setup. Cabs are always best but supergun is next best thing.

    That's a damn spendy setup though ($300+ for CPS2 ST plus whatever the udcps2 setups are going for). Dreamcast + Toodle's Capcom Fighting Collection disk is like $35 max. Only problem would be getting DC compatible sticks (good time to upgrade to cthuhlu or PS360+ for multi console support).
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,369
    I dont think the problem is the setups. I mean i bring my arcade cabs to the tournaments & yeah people play on them but when tournament time happens they dont enter because the competition is just too strong. They are intimidated & dont have ways of practicing(new players).

    A new SF2 is the only way to expand & bring new blood. They would have the game/setup to practice at their home. HDR brought that new blood but too much bickering killed it. Hopefully there is a new one coming out, im tired of this one time a year tournament bullshit to play SF2.
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    rcaido wrote: »
    I dont think the problem is the setups. I mean i bring my arcade cabs to the tournaments & yeah people play on them but when tournament time happens they dont enter because the competition is just too strong. They are intimidated & dont have ways of practicing(new players).

    A new SF2 is the only way to expand & bring new blood. They would have the game/setup to practice at their home. HDR brought that new blood but too much bickering killed it. Hopefully there is a new one coming out, im tired of this one time a year tournament bullshit to play SF2.

    Just stop. You keep complaining about bickering but all you try to do is stir stuff up. This isn't 2011 anymore.

    The biggest obstacle for the scene is always accessibility. UD-CPS2s are awesome but superguns are geared towards TOs and the real hardcore players. They do nothing for the casual player. And even then, it's just for playing offline and a lot of those players don't like playing on GGPO or Supercade. It's just an obstacle that this scene will always have.


    Shhh... ST in da house!

    www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,267
    I agree regarding accessibility, and that's exactly the reason why I would hope ST community adopt HDR as the standard version - even with the classic ST.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a ST vs HDR war - I love both games, actually I don't even consider them 2 different games, just different versions. I would play and watch whichever is available/played, but I believe HDR has a much better chance of reaching new players.
    If you want to play ST, you need either:
    - arcades, something extinct where I live (and I believe the same is for most places except Japan)
    - Supergun: to be honest, I don't even know what that is
    - GGPO: the best way, but it only works on PC, and you need to install a program, things that make it more difficult to get into.
    On the other hand, if a friend of mine likes the game and wants to play it, I send him to xbl or psn, where he can easily buy it.

    Besides accessibility, graphics are also important for newcomers, and I think HDR is also easier to accommodate in a tournament. I think hdr would have a better chance to comeback on the main Evo stage.


  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    The poor mans route is the dream cast. 100 bucks for the system, maybe less. and another 60 bucks for the convertor to convert your xbox or PS3 stick to dream cast. There is 1 frame lag. I'm speaking from a players point of view for practice. This is the most logical. When my wallet was ready for the UD setup, the UD setup wasn't ready for me. Now that I have other major financial responsibilities, I just can't justify spending 600 or 700 dollars for a video game.

    But for TO's, the UD-CPS2 is the bare minimum besides having an actual cab. Anything else would be uncivilized.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    No one that isn't already into the game is going to pick it up by buying a console or a setup solely for it.

    That's why HDR was such a good thing since it was on a current console that people already owned.

    As it stands GGPO is by far the best option available rather than some lofty ideal of a new player picking up a dreamcast or supergun to learn ST.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,369
    Besides accessibility, graphics are also important for newcomers, and I think HDR is also easier to accommodate in a tournament. I think hdr would have a better chance to comeback on the main Evo stage.
    I disagree, HDR had great turnouts for both years it was there...Evo moved on & you will never see HDR again in the big stage. ST has the better chance but it will probably be some kind of dream-match exhibition/invitation but that is about it. TO's dont care about SF2, its only the loyalist keeping it afloat.

    That's why i keep saying if a new SF2 remix does come out, we need to embrace as a SF2 community. I was looking at an old thread, this the thread(1st page) after Snakeeyes won EVO. Its really weird reading those post on how optimistic HDR was going to be in the 3rd EVO. http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/110957/will-we-have-sf2-evo-2011/p1

  • mikeidgemikeidge Joined: Posts: 565
    edited January 2014
    If the goal is to get casual players to join the fold and turn them into addicts, then HDR is the best thing going....but if they get serious about tournaments, they should use classic mode and know that in tournaments its going to be arcade ST, whether cabs, super gun or UDCPS2. the people have spoken and this is the way it is. HDR tourneys are non existent....arguments can go on and on about why, but the fact remains......NON EXISTENT

    best thing that could happen imo is an accurate port to the new gen with online play. even then...nothing beats playing with real people in person....but thats a whole other discussion. As far as another remix/rebalance? Learn from history....didnt work the first time. Don't make same mistake twice
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    edited January 2014
    mikeidge wrote: »
    As far as another remix/rebalance? Learn from history....didnt work the first time. Don't make same mistake twice
    This argument is an obvious fallacy. Just because something didn't worked out the only time it was tried then that means that it should never be tried again? That doesn't make any sense. There's infinite examples in life where you surely wont do right the first time you try, should you give up then?
    If that's really worth the effort is a different story though...

    PS: I actually prefer ST over HDR, I'm a GGPO player in the end. I don't really play HDR and I don't really care about it, but I do want to see a new iteration of SF2. Why? Because there's nothing wrong with the idea of rebalance, actually its a brilliant idea, it just needs to be done right.
    I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • VintageVintage Anticipating... Joined: Posts: 311
    To answer the OP's question, no. There's no point since the scene would never truly agree on all/most of the changes. It would be better if there were another version of SF2 that played like ST and had 4-8 additional characters, along with new stages (bonus stage too Muffin!), and new music. That's it.

    If you want an easy way to get some growth going, hop on Classic mode on XBL and start hosting rooms. If most of the guys on GGPO hosted on XBL, more & more of the Remix players would actually join. You can't join a room that was never there to begin with. If more of those players started joining our rooms, some would eventually take some interest in the game and even consider attending an event offline. Which is why...

    tourneys for the immediate future should use XBL Classic Mode until someone can compile an easy-use emulator (ShmumpMame/GroovyMame). The biggest issue for arcade tourneys (cabs notwithstanding) are the TVs. Lugging CRTS DOES NOT WORK (yes, this is even a problem for those in SoCal). This is also why DC wont work either. It's time to move to playing on an LCD. Classic Mode solves this problem since an Asus can get the job done. Sure, it would be awesome if every tourney had Illayma (and other lag free brands) monitors. But an Asus can still work. What a novel concept for a ST TO, actually have hardware supplied at a venue...consoles are already there, monitors are already there. Easy. Simple.
    Driven beyond obsession
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Vintage wrote: »
    The biggest issue for arcade tourneys (cabs notwithstanding) are the TVs. Lugging CRTS DOES NOT WORK (yes, this is even a problem for those in SoCal). This is also why DC wont work either.

    A Dreamcast VGA adapter costs like $35. Not a big deal and works with any monitor that has a VGA port.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • VintageVintage Anticipating... Joined: Posts: 311
    Vintage wrote: »
    The biggest issue for arcade tourneys (cabs notwithstanding) are the TVs. Lugging CRTS DOES NOT WORK (yes, this is even a problem for those in SoCal). This is also why DC wont work either.

    A Dreamcast VGA adapter costs like $35. Not a big deal and works with any monitor that has a VGA port.

    I know which one you are referring to (I have 2). The issue is it looks VERY pixelated. If a lot of guys have trouble accepting old sprites on the new backgrounds, there's no way they will accept that level of pixelation. Additionally, with DC, you would still require a mod to use a USB stick/pad. Our scene has a poor track record when it comes to players actually modding their sticks.
    Driven beyond obsession
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    Playing ST and being picky over graphics is such a fucking weird concept to me.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
  • ExposedDExposedD NO SQUIGGERINO Joined: Posts: 6,383
    ^
    TACK !
    affinity wrote: »
    I mean, you can't even play as a cat in that game. wtf. it's 2017.
    chadouken! wrote: »
    It's called Sonic the Fucking Hedgehog, not Sonic the Cat, you dumb bitch.
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,369
    ST on classic mode isn't going to go well with the ST community...For example in Northwest Majors it was suppose to be on an arcade cab. The TO expected the person who brought the cab last year to do the same again without even asking him. So instead, they decided to go with HDR Classic mode for the Xbox 360 cuz he didn't want to do it or couldn't do it. Lots of people wanted their money back, as they felt it wasn't authentic & the TO was going to cancel. I requested if we could do HDR instead but it was a no go because this was suppose to be for the ST games qualifier. ST community would rather have it canceled then to play ST on the 360.

    People tend to think im just pro HDR but im just pro SF2. I ended up bringing my head2head cab. We had decent turnout, around 30 entrees...The TO didn't bother to help setup/run the brackets. They didn't even want to stream, so i ask my buddy Josh to stream the final 4. I think we ended up finishing around 1am. I dont really care for a thank you but he could have at least open the doors instead of holding his damn keys waiting to lock up.

    They got free labor & free equipment use while charging us ($35)Admission fee + ($10) entree per game. If you want ST as a main game you have to do it all yourself...It would have been better to just have it a side tournament, that way we didn't have to pay for the ridiculous admission fee. Probably would have gotten more entrees.

    So im not really sure Classic mode in HDR is going to work. Dreamcast will be even more of pain because of converters. Seems like only the ST community would want Undamn CPS2 but who is going to pay for that? The TO's cant even open the door what more for them to fork out $700 per setup.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    UD-CPS2 is great, but there are two main issues:
    1) you can't just call Undamned and ask for 2-3 setups for like next month/week. He does them by hand, so it takes time;
    2) B boards are not that easy to find anymore.

    I feel some emulated solution was the most viable alternative, but bigger tournaments will not run emulators, specially if Capcom is somehow involved (e.g. they run a qualifier for a Capcom tournament). The really best tournament would be to replicate the CPS-2 software as an integrated circuit, which would be hardware emulating. But this would still be an issue for some tournament organizers.

    There's also the issue of boards eventually dying, and some believe the phoenixed boards are very buggy. I am not so sure, but I also recall that old hardware may stop working due to spoiled (leaking) electrolytic capacitors, among other issues. As a result, the amount of working ST hardware is decreasing over time.
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    fatboy wrote: »
    Kuroppi wrote: »
    This year's EVO is going to be the last tourney I'm organizing ...

    Yea, I've heard you say that before! :P

    I love ST, but honestly I just don't have time to play (Shoot, I barely browse the forums!). But running my business, being married and raising my daughter, are my top priority and it's just about all I have time for.

    The little bit of free time I do get is spent at the gym, trying to keep my weight down from sitting on my fat ass all day... LOL...

    On a real and random note, not that any of you in the ST forums really need to be told, but Kuroppi deserves a ton of recognition on all that he's contributed to the community.

    To be honest, I could have never sacrificed what he has for the love of this game and the FGC. He's spent time away from his wife and son, not to mention spending his hard earned cash to support the ST EVO events over the last few years.

    He's is a f'n awesome guy for doing all he has done over the years and deserves more than we (ST FGC) could ever give him in return. I wish there was an award we could get the FGC to give the guy for all the he's done. But, that's not for us to decide...

    Anyway, here's big fatboy "Thumbs Up" to Kuroppi. Thanks for all the ST efforts.

    All this sweet talk isn't going to get you out of going to EVO this year. :)
    Shhh... ST in da house!

    www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
2
Sign In or Register to comment.