Ottawa Thread 2014

Comments

• PritzPritz Seriously?! Joined: Posts: 312
    Event Info:
    forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/187266/bytown-brawl-1-02-22-2014-ottawa-ontario

I'll edit this post with the facebook event once it's made.
    Xbox Live/PS3/Steam - andydiluvian
  • DeadOnSpearDeadOnSpear Joined: Posts: 3
    If I can polish up my dudley maybe I'll join, I'm so down for smash bros if it goes through however
  • HotToyHotToy Joined: Posts: 103
    familyman needs to do some commentary
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,635
    Familyman doing Marvel commentary would actually be amazing.
    Also, a side note, but Bruce busting out that Kijiji ad to advertise an AE tournament is cool to see. Though, if it's somebody else entirely, then huh...
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,141
    I ain't done shit.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
    Krackatoa wrote: »
    I ain't done shit.

Huh, well okay then.

In that case, I don't know if this would interest any of you guys, but you might want to have a look or get in touch or something if you're interested, since I stumbled across this this morning:

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-video-games-consoles-Sony-Playstation-3-Super-Street-Fighter-4-Arcdae-Edition-Tournament-Ottawa-W0QQAdIdZ558053726
    edited January 2014
    lolwat. I have some kind of doppleganger on Kijiji? Hahaha. I'd get in touch but I'm afraid of him killing me and wearing my skin as a coat.
  • EssayEssay And there was oki. Joined: Posts: 142
    lolwat. I have some kind of doppleganger on Kijiji? Hahaha. I'd get in touch but I'm afraid of him killing me and wearing my skin as a coat.
    He's clearly trying to bait you out. Just don't do anything unsafe and you'll be fine.
    XBL: Northofself || PSN: RadicalEssay || Twitter: RadicalSA
  • HashHash Running in the 90's Joined: Posts: 358
    Essay wrote: »
    He's clearly trying to bait you out. Just don't do anything unsafe and you'll be fine.

Don't worry. Dan kicks are safe on block.

• JensineJensine Acid Raindrops Joined: Posts: 576
    lmfao "I am really huge in the FGC"

>wants to help the ottawa fgc grow more
    >sets maximum entrants to 20
    XBL: Jensine SRK
  • TheRealDaddy-OTheRealDaddy-O Keepin' it classy Joined: Posts: 333
    That ad has pics, not of us though (I think?)
    Why do birds suddenly appear
    Every time you are near?
    Just like me, they long to be
    Close to you
  • rafman1649errafman1649er Joined: Posts: 71
    wow guys it looks like there has been a sceret top tier fgc in ottawa, i guess we were living under a rock all this time Kappa
    I don't blame you guys if you would rather go to that tournament instead...
    Pritz wrote: »

I actually wasn't trying to get people to go to that one instead of this one. Rather, I was trying to see if anyone that was going to that, would potentially also come over to this one (assuming they're on different dates) to get more AE entrants. Or something like that, or that would make things easier on you. I had good intentions, I swear, lol.

To be fair, he got his ad up a day before your announcement. Plus he's a big name and all.
    edited January 2014
    Hash wrote: »

To be fair, he got his ad up a day before your announcement. Plus he's a big name and all.

Plus he is running just AE. Who needs all those other fun games to get in the way and cause unwanted problems and hype.

Edit: Plus it would be a PS3 tournament like EVO.

Has anyone reached out to him yet to tell him about algonquin and the current community?
    Yup, just tried to send him a message and accidentally responded to his other ad for a VersaGrow 10 Bucket Top Feed Hydroponic System....
  • Sarge_84Sarge_84 Im gonna make mama proud Joined: Posts: 140
    I'm down for what ever, if anyone needs help I'm more then willing to dedicate some free time and resources to develop a stronger scene.

As for events count me in I'm always free.
    PSN - Sarge_84
    XBL - Spriink

"RAWR"
    Yup, just tried to send him a message and accidentally responded to his other ad for a VersaGrow 10 Bucket Top Feed Hydroponic System....
    wow Andy not only is he a tournament coordinator but he also offers ideal tool to obtain a fast, rich and flavorful harvest. yo this man is beyond your class. Kappa
    Multi-talented? Man, that's some skills.
    Um, I hate to double post and that, but somebody just brought to my attention that Bytown Brawl is actually the same day as Battle Royale VII, which is over at UofO...and that is having AE, and Injustice (as well as SSBM) there. Granted, with that it costs $20 to enter just 1 console tournament, and the first place prize for those is $50, while the 2nd place price is a $20 Best Buy gift card, but...it might be something to take into account looking at attendance.
    Wait wait, I have to pay $20 to get into the tournament and second place is a $20 gift card to best buy? Seems legit.
    Wait wait, I have to pay $20 to get into the tournament and second place is a $20 gift card to best buy? Seems legit.

I kinda wish I was making that up, but...

http://www.battleroyale.ca/br7/tournaments.html

http://www.battleroyale.ca/br7/tickets.html

Hm, maybe I was wrong to think this was a concern? Also Pritz, could you maybe PM me your FB info or something? A couple of the Melee guys have a bunch of questions, and one of them wanted to talk to you to sort of have a better understanding.
    I'm in contact with him right now. Thanks for reaching out to the other communities for me.
    I'm in contact with him right now. Thanks for reaching out to the other communities for me.
    u r welcome oil baron

Anytime. I figured I should at least try to help out if I could, even though all I really did was point them to it, and make it known that it's there, haha.
    LivewireX wrote: »
    Um, I hate to double post and that, but somebody just brought to my attention that Bytown Brawl is actually the same day as Battle Royale VII, which is over at UofO...and that is having AE, and Injustice (as well as SSBM) there. Granted, with that it costs $20 to enter just 1 console tournament, and the first place prize for those is $50, while the 2nd place price is a $20 Best Buy gift card, but...it might be something to take into account looking at attendance.

lol that might've been a concern if anyone was actually planning to go to battle royale.
  • bankshotv2bankshotv2 Say Goodnight! Joined: Posts: 173
    I thought I killed battle royal a year ago...
  • Elliott SpookElliott Spook E-Tier Joined: Posts: 767
    I know it's kinda disrespectful, but I feel like someone should just promote this event wherever they see Battle Royale being advertised so that whoever WAS going there will instead come to the better tournament.
    Taskmaster/Dormammu/She Hulk
    Hugo/Necro/Ryu/Oro/Remy/Sean
    bankshotv2 wrote: »
    I thought I killed battle royal a year ago...

Did people go to it last year?
    I know it's kinda disrespectful, but I feel like someone should just promote this event wherever they see Battle Royale being advertised so that whoever WAS going there will instead come to the better tournament.

It's funny you say that, because when I mentioned this in the Smash group, I noticed afterwards that someone already posted an ad for Battle Royale so...that might actually semi be happening.
    edited January 2014
    $20 entry and $50 prize with no mention of a pot to play with the guys I see on a weekly basis? No thanks.
    Every time you are near?
    Close to you
    fuck battle royale and fuck LAPD

just curious, what do you all envision when you talk about a 'stronger' scene?
    Jensine wrote: »

just more regular meets, gonq is a great start IMO though we can use one or two more meets in a week, cuz the more we play the better we get. however this only can happen if we are motivated(shout outs to vergil) to do so other wise we r doing well with what we got.
  • RickyTseRickyTse Living the Dream Joined: Posts: 98
    edited January 2014
    Wow. I definitely want in on this! From what I've seen Ottawa is pretty free so this will be easy money.
    Also, if you need any help I can lend a hand if you would like it. :)
    ~Kingsley
    A league ranbat system or some means of running long sets against various people.
    A recording or testing station/area off to the side dedicated to discussing match-ups and etc,.
    More mini-tournaments. Team-based ones at that.

Boiling it all down though, I'd call us strong if everyone had a strong familiarity against everyone else's main characters in any game.
    More out of town representation too.
    Every time you are near?
    Close to you
    A league ranbat system or some means of running long sets against various people.
    A recording or testing station/area off to the side dedicated to discussing match-ups and etc,.
    More mini-tournaments. Team-based ones at that.

Boiling it all down though, I'd call us strong if everyone had a strong familiarity against everyone else's main characters in any game.
    More out of town representation too.

I don't think ranbats or any other tournament format will help the scene get stronger. It just comes down to every individual doing their part to both participate and get better at fighting games.

I do agree with the out of town representation though. I'm probably going down to LANETS if anyone wants to carpool at the end of February.
  • HotToyHotToy Joined: Posts: 103

sports club worth more than the leafs/MLSE
  • familymanfamilyman 魔奴義亞 Joined: Posts: 694
    RickyTse wrote: »
    Wow. I definitely want in on this! From what I've seen Ottawa is pretty free so this will be easy money.
    randoms talkin shit again, prob just a livewire alt account looking for attention. well played bro

I may not be the best player in town, but i sure am the person who talks the most trash
    familymansrk@twitter.com
    Nah man, I got better shit to do than be making fake accounts and call AE and Marvel players free when I don't even own AE anymore, and barely ever play UMVC3.
    Okay there is officially going to be a ranbat tomorrow. I'm going back to the bracket style ranbats since the other methods were kind of ass.

The total from all the ranbats we have done will be used for seeding purposes for Bytown Brawl.
  • Elliott SpookElliott Spook E-Tier Joined: Posts: 767
    edited January 2014
    Pritz, I just noticed something that brought your avatar pic to mind: https://www.facebook.com/FluoridationFreeOttawa
    Taskmaster/Dormammu/She Hulk
    Hugo/Necro/Ryu/Oro/Remy/Sean
    Pritz, I just noticed something that brought your avatar pic to mind: https://www.facebook.com/FluoridationFreeOttawa

Ya, it's like the first google image result if you type "water wave" and I just photoshopped it.

My graphic design skills are as fraudulent as my SFIV skills.

Yoooo exposed

• Sarge_84Sarge_84 Im gonna make mama proud Joined: Posts: 140

I'm the free-est of them all,

Would you like me FREE money cuz I'm free.

MM?

PSN - Sarge_84
    XBL - Spriink

"RAWR"
    familyman wrote: »
    randoms talkin shit again, prob just a livewire alt account looking for attention. well played bro

I think he has come out to games before. But I can't place his SRK name with who he actually is.
    edited January 2014

More people playing more often. It's simple.

More tournaments.

More e'ry'thang.

See you all tomorrow

More people playing more often. It's simple.

How would you make that happen?

• bankshotv2bankshotv2 Say Goodnight! Joined: Posts: 173
    I think that this problem is a very difficult one indeed. I think its best to just try, and possibly fail, at new things to see what attracts and keeps new players. Getting better is just up to the individual but an embarrassing spot on a tiered system would probably motivate some. Maybe a dedicated website or something...hard to say