Ottawa Thread 2014

Comments

• PritzPritz Seriously?! Joined: Posts: 312
    I don't think I've ever seen a single person play Injustice at the Gonq. I heard it mentioned a few times though...
    Xbox Live/PS3/Steam - andydiluvian
  • rasaqqrasaqq Joined: Posts: 2
    do we xbox or ps3?
    rasaqq wrote: »
    do we xbox or ps3?

It's whatever people bring but mostly Xbox/PC.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,880
    Except for anime and Tekken, and with BBCP that's since it's PS3 only, whereas with Tekken, I think they bring their own consoles.
  • EssayEssay And there was oki. Joined: Posts: 142
    People going to want to play KOF tonight? I'm rusty and in need of a fix, plus I know some of you jumped on the holiday Steam sale.
    LivewireX wrote: »
    Except for anime and Tekken, and with BBCP that's since it's PS3 only, whereas with Tekken, I think they bring their own consoles.

There's not usually many PS3's at Gonq. When the Tekken guys came out before break, they had to settle for an Xbox. We usually have a PS3 that sees some anime play, but even I usually prioritise bringing a 360 for Guilty Gear because we all have Xbox sticks.
    XBL: Northofself || PSN: RadicalEssay || Twitter: RadicalSA
    TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENT:

When: February 22nd, 2014 starting at Noon

Where: Algonquin College

Games: SSFIV 2012, UMVC3, Guilty Gear, BB Chronophantasma and any other games people want to run on the side

I'll post more details soon including entry fees, payouts and other things. I'll be streaming the event and wouldn't mind some volunteers to help run brackets and commentate on matches for games in which you are knowledgeable. Post here and let me know.

I'll make a facebook event sometime today hopefully for those who are into that kind of thing. I'll also be making a poster if people could help stick them around their respective schools or whatever.

Sweet, definitely making it out for that for the BBCP tourney, and obviously if the Tekken guys want to run one, I'll be down for that. Also, the Smash Bros people might want to run their own side tournaments there if they're allowed. If they bring their own setups or whatnot (as they normally do) and potentially have someone helping with their brackets, would anybody running it have any problem with them coming? I'd have volunteered to try and commentate on some BB, but I admittedly kind of assumed Bruce might have (and I really don't mean to make it sound like I'm putting him on the spot).
  • familymanfamilyman 魔奴義亞 Joined: Posts: 694
    Pritz wrote: »
    TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Games: SSFIV 2012, UMVC3, Guilty Gear, BB Chronophantasma and any other games people want to run on the side

I'll post more details soon including entry fees, payouts and other things. I'll be streaming the event and wouldn't mind some volunteers to help run brackets and commentate on matches for games in which you are knowledgeable. Post here and let me know.

I'll make a facebook event sometime today hopefully for those who are into that kind of thing. I'll also be making a poster if people could help stick them around their respective schools or whatever.

make it casual start at noon, start random game whenever, sf4 and mvc start at 3pm or later
    I may not be the best player in town, but i sure am the person who talks the most trash
    familymansrk@twitter.com
    familyman wrote: »
    TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENT:

make it casual start at noon, start random game whenever, sf4 and mvc start at 3pm or later

This ain't my first rodeo. ;)

Thanks for the advice though. No one shows up on time that's why you make an early start time. That being said if you aren't registered when I generate the brackets there are no re-dos.

More feedback is good. Generating more info right now.

• Gwai Lo ½Gwai Lo ½ McCafe Joined: Posts: 78
    Do people still play 4? Want to get some weekend 4 in (maybe not this weekend but weekends in general).
    Event Info:
    forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/187266/bytown-brawl-1-02-22-2014-ottawa-ontario

I'll edit this post with the facebook event once it's made.
  • DeadOnSpearDeadOnSpear Joined: Posts: 3
    If I can polish up my dudley maybe I'll join, I'm so down for smash bros if it goes through however
  • HotToyHotToy Joined: Posts: 103
    familyman needs to do some commentary
    Familyman doing Marvel commentary would actually be amazing.
    Also, a side note, but Bruce busting out that Kijiji ad to advertise an AE tournament is cool to see. Though, if it's somebody else entirely, then huh...
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,141
    I ain't done shit.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
    Krackatoa wrote: »
    I ain't done shit.

Huh, well okay then.

In that case, I don't know if this would interest any of you guys, but you might want to have a look or get in touch or something if you're interested, since I stumbled across this this morning:

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-video-games-consoles-Sony-Playstation-3-Super-Street-Fighter-4-Arcdae-Edition-Tournament-Ottawa-W0QQAdIdZ558053726
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,141
    edited January 2014
    lolwat. I have some kind of doppleganger on Kijiji? Hahaha. I'd get in touch but I'm afraid of him killing me and wearing my skin as a coat.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
  • EssayEssay And there was oki. Joined: Posts: 142
    lolwat. I have some kind of doppleganger on Kijiji? Hahaha. I'd get in touch but I'm afraid of him killing me and wearing my skin as a coat.
    He's clearly trying to bait you out. Just don't do anything unsafe and you'll be fine.
    XBL: Northofself || PSN: RadicalEssay || Twitter: RadicalSA
  • HashHash Running in the 90's Joined: Posts: 358
    Essay wrote: »
    He's clearly trying to bait you out. Just don't do anything unsafe and you'll be fine.

Don't worry. Dan kicks are safe on block.

• JensineJensine Acid Raindrops Joined: Posts: 576
    lmfao "I am really huge in the FGC"

>wants to help the ottawa fgc grow more
    >sets maximum entrants to 20
    XBL: Jensine SRK
  • TheRealDaddy-OTheRealDaddy-O Keepin' it classy Joined: Posts: 333
    That ad has pics, not of us though (I think?)
    Why do birds suddenly appear
    Every time you are near?
    Just like me, they long to be
    Close to you
  • rafman1649errafman1649er Joined: Posts: 71
    wow guys it looks like there has been a sceret top tier fgc in ottawa, i guess we were living under a rock all this time Kappa
    I don't blame you guys if you would rather go to that tournament instead...

I actually wasn't trying to get people to go to that one instead of this one. Rather, I was trying to see if anyone that was going to that, would potentially also come over to this one (assuming they're on different dates) to get more AE entrants. Or something like that, or that would make things easier on you. I had good intentions, I swear, lol.

To be fair, he got his ad up a day before your announcement. Plus he's a big name and all.
    edited January 2014
    Hash wrote: »

To be fair, he got his ad up a day before your announcement. Plus he's a big name and all.

Plus he is running just AE. Who needs all those other fun games to get in the way and cause unwanted problems and hype.

Edit: Plus it would be a PS3 tournament like EVO.

Has anyone reached out to him yet to tell him about algonquin and the current community?
    Yup, just tried to send him a message and accidentally responded to his other ad for a VersaGrow 10 Bucket Top Feed Hydroponic System....
  • Sarge_84Sarge_84 Im gonna make mama proud Joined: Posts: 140
    I'm down for what ever, if anyone needs help I'm more then willing to dedicate some free time and resources to develop a stronger scene.

As for events count me in I'm always free.
    PSN - Sarge_84
    XBL - Spriink

"RAWR"
    Yup, just tried to send him a message and accidentally responded to his other ad for a VersaGrow 10 Bucket Top Feed Hydroponic System....
    wow Andy not only is he a tournament coordinator but he also offers ideal tool to obtain a fast, rich and flavorful harvest. yo this man is beyond your class. Kappa
    Multi-talented? Man, that's some skills.
    Um, I hate to double post and that, but somebody just brought to my attention that Bytown Brawl is actually the same day as Battle Royale VII, which is over at UofO...and that is having AE, and Injustice (as well as SSBM) there. Granted, with that it costs $20 to enter just 1 console tournament, and the first place prize for those is $50, while the 2nd place price is a $20 Best Buy gift card, but...it might be something to take into account looking at attendance.
    Wait wait, I have to pay $20 to get into the tournament and second place is a $20 gift card to best buy? Seems legit.
    Wait wait, I have to pay $20 to get into the tournament and second place is a $20 gift card to best buy? Seems legit.

I kinda wish I was making that up, but...

http://www.battleroyale.ca/br7/tournaments.html

http://www.battleroyale.ca/br7/tickets.html

Hm, maybe I was wrong to think this was a concern? Also Pritz, could you maybe PM me your FB info or something? A couple of the Melee guys have a bunch of questions, and one of them wanted to talk to you to sort of have a better understanding.
    I'm in contact with him right now. Thanks for reaching out to the other communities for me.
    I'm in contact with him right now. Thanks for reaching out to the other communities for me.
    u r welcome oil baron

Anytime. I figured I should at least try to help out if I could, even though all I really did was point them to it, and make it known that it's there, haha.
    LivewireX wrote: »
    Um, I hate to double post and that, but somebody just brought to my attention that Bytown Brawl is actually the same day as Battle Royale VII, which is over at UofO...and that is having AE, and Injustice (as well as SSBM) there. Granted, with that it costs $20 to enter just 1 console tournament, and the first place prize for those is $50, while the 2nd place price is a $20 Best Buy gift card, but...it might be something to take into account looking at attendance.

lol that might've been a concern if anyone was actually planning to go to battle royale.
  • bankshotv2bankshotv2 Say Goodnight! Joined: Posts: 173
    I thought I killed battle royal a year ago...
  • Elliott SpookElliott Spook E-Tier Joined: Posts: 767
    I know it's kinda disrespectful, but I feel like someone should just promote this event wherever they see Battle Royale being advertised so that whoever WAS going there will instead come to the better tournament.
    Taskmaster/Dormammu/She Hulk
    Hugo/Necro/Ryu/Oro/Remy/Sean