Calgary Thread 2014

Comments

• PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,285
    God damn! Knuckles and Lyn, only in Project M.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,628
    lots of hate for project M in the comments for that video
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • MisguidedAngelMisguidedAngel Greetings, mortal! Joined: Posts: 5,214
    edited December 2014
    Unlike every other comment section on the Internet (full of hate for ___, that is)
    I hope all the Edmonton dudes are okay :(
    So fucking cool, oh my god, I wanna play as Knuckles!!!

• FakeSteveFakeSteve Mayhem Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 2,499
    edited December 2014
    Infil wrote: »
    roy was actually on waivers yesterday but the oilers couldn't claim him because they were at their max number of contracts, so they had to trade a piece away from him

i don't think arcobello is a fantastic player or anything but i bet you he's gonna be a decent 3rd or 4th line player on an actually good team

meanwhile, roy has been heavily on the decline and has switched teams a lot in the last year or so because he doesn't put forth much effort. i'm SURE he's going to put forth a ton of effort in an oilers jersey, though... making $1m/year and on one of the worst teams in the history of the nhl sounds like great motivation to start giving it your all every night

Oilers were actually at 47 contracts, and woulda been at 48 if they kept Arco. I have no idea why they didn't claim him off waivers. Roy's interviews have been full of talk about how he can be a leader on this team and the team really needs it, so maybe he'll try to make a difference.

Right now I am just mired in hopelessness. At least the Predators are crushing <3
    HOT DOG KING
    srs, any other Preds fans here?

For so many years my main team was passable and my secondary team sucked, now my main team is the worst in history, and my secondary team scares people. Fucked up world, the NHL
    HOT DOG KING
  • fogerfoger lame is good Joined: Posts: 5,661
    ive always liked the wings

classy org, always decent, etc
    Agreed, the Red Wings are worthy of fandom no matter who you are. I just don't actively cheer for them.
    HOT DOG KING
  • ImagineVCImagineVC open your mind Joined: Posts: 5,037
    Pittsburgh Penguins were my favorite team as a child because i liked the letter "P". up until i moved to Calgary 15 years ago, only then did the Flames become my favorite team bumping the Penguins down to my second favorite team.
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    flames n blue jackets all the way

i don't mind the predators

i always cheer for underdogs. lets go Panthers as well

don't mind seeing Toronto do well either
    edited December 2014
    vancouver sucks
    Post edited by foger on
    Infil wrote: »
    lots of hate for project M in the comments for that video

Filthy casuals still offended by the fact that they hacked Brawl and made it a better game for the tournament scene. Let them eat balls.

edited December 2014
    The REmake is coming out Jan 20th already? I must have been living under a rock. I think 2015 may be the best year for games for me in the past decade. Bloodborne, MKX (!!!), REmake, Battlefront 3, Heavensward, Arkham Knight, MGSV, Mighty No.9, Mordheim.... So many things! Plus maybe Starfox, Zelda and Xenoblade on the Wii U, I guess. Expensive year...
    Post edited by MisguidedAngel on
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 4,275
    ^^
    yea im gonna be getting remake the day of and playing through that thing even though ive already finished it like 10 times.

i may even try legit speedrunning it too since you can do the whole game pretty quickly. i think the new control method will help for that even though it will feel almost like betraying an old friend because im so used to the tank controls now. you get a special rocket launcher if you do it under 3 hours but i think i managed it in around 2.30 or so.

what are you guys doing for new years btw?
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    buying a bottle of sparkling apple juice and going to bed at 9:30

i never chose the thug life.
  • ImagineVCImagineVC open your mind Joined: Posts: 5,037
    all i need in this life of sin, is me and my Buckleys

whatever type of flu is going on right now is no joke. its highly contagious and heavy.
    goin to watch the flames shit on the oilers tonight then probably smoke a big doobie while I watch other people party before playing cs:go until 3am
    I just want to go make out with as many eighteen year olds as possible. But everyone I know is laaame.
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,814
    hey guys, in case you were unaware:

http://thump.vice.com/en_ca/words/your-illegal-downloads-are-getting-a-lot-less-anonymous-in-two-days

I suggest getting a VPN. I personally have IPVanish, it's 77$ a year for completely anonymous internet use.
    edited December 2014
    my 2014 in a nutshell

also this summarizes capcom's 2014 pretty well too #deep

c9Ups.gif
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
    edited December 2014
    Kung Lao is back as an old man yeeeah http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2014/dec/31/kung-lao-returns-mortal-kombat-x-old-man-finnish-gaming-magazine-reveals-2/

Translation of his variations:

The differences between Kung Lao's Tempest-, Buzz Saw- and Hat Trick -variations happen to be the biggest ones yet. With Tempest Kung Lao uses more spinning attacks and has the ability to set his hat to spin around him as a shield of sorts. In his Buzz Saw variation his hat is sharpened with razor blade edges and allows the player to control his hat throws more. Hat Trick is the most experimental of the three, because you can throw and call back your hat at any point you want. This keeps the opponent on their toes, because the hat can extend combos."

So cool! One of them sounds like he has Vergil whirley swords, and another where he uses his hat like Miss Fortune's head.
    what is the likelihood that all fighters will basically have one style that is very clearly the best for their character?

i can appreciate the attempt to diversify the character but i don't think it actually works all that much, in the end one style is pretty clearly the best
    edited December 2014
    That's pretty negative Nancy of you. The game has 75 characters minimum. Of course you'll have a top ten characters like every fighting game ever. Doesn't mean you can't have a ton of fun with the other characters and see tournaments won by "low tier".

With how different the variations make each character it's literally like saying why would you play Blanka when you could play Yun. All sorts of reasons.

It could end up as lopsided as Marvel at first, of course, but at least NRS will pay attention to the game. And they have a bunch of community members helping balance the game right now.
    not being negative nancy, simply asking a question. in fact, i specifically worded my question to be as diplomatic as possible

for example, in 3rd strike, how many characters are viable with more than one super? the answer i think is exactly two, unless i'm forgetting someone: ryu and makoto (and oro if you want to get into the low tiers).

people pick different characters in fighting games because they have allegiances to them for whatever reason... i think that's less true of "styles". you might like kung lao and want to play him, but you're pretty likely to (eventually) just pick the style that works best for him, aren't you?
    edited December 2014
    Maybe? But the differences between variations are the same as the differences between Cammy and Decapre (a few shared normals and that's it). I dunno if giving them different names is the deciding factor.

There's also talk of character lock tournaments where you switch variations between match ups, so they'd be good for that. The same character will even have different walk speeds and jump arcs etc depending on variation.
    Is Oro low tier? I thought he got bodyrocked by Chun but had a good spread otherwise. Also Dudley can more than one super
    HOT DOG KING
    i think he gets rocked by a lot of the top tier but does okay against the mid tier, just like every mid tier character in 3rd strike
  • w00flesw00fles Wicked underground Joined: Posts: 852
    edited December 2014
    I think you may be looking at it incorrectly. It has the chance to allow character loyalty (even to a mid-tier) to come first and counter picks / top tier to come second.

"Grapple mode" Kano might prove to be stronger than the two other variations overall but the option of picking a different 'groove' of Kano to deal with potentially bad matchups sounds promising. It basically will make character matchups more fuzzy overall.

Hopefully MKX will be closer to Injustice than MK9 in terms of balance but will probably be like all other NRS games where certain characters will just never compete no matter what groove they are in (lol Joker / Kano lol)
    edited January 2015
    Yes. As a Baraka player I am ecstatic that I get three chances at having a Baraka that isn't terrible (Baraka is always terrible. Him and Sheeva are basically the Dans of the series)

Seems for online play you pick a clan from MK lore (Black Dragon, White Lotus, Special Forces, Lin Kuei, Brotherhood of Shadows) to represent and it changes your menus and stuffs. Can't wait to hear more about how that works... and the Challenge Tower changes every hour. Neat. This could be amazing or could all be ruined by a poop netcode. If good, Black Dragons 4 lyfe. (MK9 has the worst netcode in history, while Injustice was about as passable as SF4's)
    Post edited by MisguidedAngel on
    those are my thoughts exactly. whereas the different supers on 3s is only a single move that is different, this is basically all of the characters special moves that are diifferent which will (hopefully) make a big difference if your character gets a bad matchup. the less characters you have to learn the better.
    Seems for online play you pick a clan from MK lore (Black Dragon, White Lotus, Special Forces, Lin Kuei, Brotherhood of Shadows) to represent and it changes your menus and stuffs.

see, now this is a cool idea

even just changing colors on the menu stuff is rad, wish more fighting games gave a crap about customization

take a hint from dota, fg developers, people like to customize stuff and they'll probably even pay you money for it, and i'm not just talking dumb accessories for your character
    edited January 2015
    I've already been thinking of that long before this.

I know people don't like me talking about my game, but I had the idea to have multiple HUD/announcer options. That's what my post from earlier in the year involving the animal combo accolades was about... animals & nature is one of the HUD/announcer themes

anybody got gregs number? he sent it to me but it doesnt work maybe an old number or something?
  • Nos99Nos99 Science Scrub Joined: Posts: 4,651
    Just pmd you. Sorry man. I typed it in wrong the first time and was too dumb to realize it. :(
  • DirgesongDirgesong YOGA SURPRISE! Joined: Posts: 2,591
    edited January 2015
    Dave txt me at ...-...-....
    Post edited by Dirgesong on
    Dave!!! Call tron. Or me. Or Gerg.
    403 Five four two five two six one
    edited January 2015
    ahh its a bit on the late side now i think. thanks though guys. been skullgirlsing it up for the last couple hours and didnt notice your messages.
    Exes are a mistake!!

Also, if there's a game out there that has better dialogue than Symphony of the Night, I don't want to know about it.
    lol none of that makes ANY sense whatsoever.

pretty sure the day when smash bros doesnt sell well will never happen. that game doesnt even need to be good and the masses will still buy it cos its got mario in it.
    So much wine... Where the hell is the 2015 thread? Sloooow
  • thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    edited January 2015
    Can we just rename this to Calgary thread? fuck making new ones every year
    I think we planned on that last year but lap made this one lol

Why are you on srk andrew? shouldn't you be face hugging 100 18 year old girls?!
    Post edited by thebest on
    I failed and went with a sure thing instead :(. I don't deserve my man-card.
    just rename the thread, don't make a new one
    What a shitty omen for the new year. Only just got home and it's 3 AM.

so did someone already make a new thread? just keep it in this one.
  • Shanghai KidShanghai Kid Joined: Posts: 2,261
    edited January 2015
    I was living under a rock so I didn't know about Overwatch. Blizzard really knows how to make good trailers. I definitely wanna play this.

edited January 2015
    I'm still mad that they completely plagiarized that space gorilla...

I dunno how Blizzard gets away with sooo much creative theft.