Calgary Thread 2014

1257258259260261263»

Comments

• fogerfoger lame is good Joined: Posts: 5,661
    edited January 2015
    Infil wrote: »

"When the game becomes more like a sport, a tool that more strictly rewards the player with more skill, the game tapers off more, like a mountain. Just like how a mountain tapers off into its peak, that area becomes more and more narrow."

"I fought, I lost...these results and suffering from painful feelings is how the user base shrinks, and we want to avoid that with Smash. In that sense, Smash has many elements that are rather ambiguous and nebulous in regards to competition."

how can someone with an outlook like this be in charge of something

sakurai should read the domination 101 threads
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,797
  • MisguidedAngelMisguidedAngel Greetings, mortal! Joined: Posts: 5,155
    Fuck you, Derryk. Don't you read? You've ruined everything.
  • InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,606
    because the entire media industry is founded and maintained on a lot of creative theft
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 4,275
    lets just keep posting in here lolz.

3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    lap needs to ask a mod to rename this thread and delete derryks lol
  • Aminel1Aminel1 Aladeen. Joined: Posts: 1,169
    Yall lazy. It's tradition we might as well just add another thread to the pile since it's already made
    But SFV won't be in 2015. I can't support a thread of lies.
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    edited January 2015
    i don't know if anyone is a universal sports fan like me, but how cool would it be if the raptors got 1st seed in the east and made a sick run into the playoffs

also flames are back on track with 4 straight W's. and colombus 10-1-1 in december. both my teams getting back to basics.

and football playoffs start this weekend. aw yeah good time to be a sports fan

edit: hoping to see a Patriots / Seahawks super bowl, failing that, i'd like to see Cincinatti make a run.
    Jozhear wrote: »
    i don't know if anyone is a universal sports fan like me, but how cool would it be if the raptors got 1st seed in the east and made a sick run into the playoffs

also flames are back on track with 4 straight W's. and colombus 10-1-1 in december. both my teams getting back to basics.

and football playoffs start this weekend. aw yeah good time to be a sports fan

edit: hoping to see a Patriots / Seahawks super bowl, failing that, i'd like to see Cincinatti make a run.

raptors doing good would be nice

flames winning is great, can you believe the oilers almost won two games in a row? yeah me neither. so they lost 11 in a row, won 1, lost 9 in a row, won 1, how many losses until their next win? i'm gonna say... 4

also you're not a universal sports fan until you get into cricket, that sport is awesome, you should try watching some IPL matches this year jamie, sport is way more interesting than baseball (and I actually like baseball)
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
    edited January 2015
    yikes, all I know about cricket this year is that some dude died in a freak accident after a ball hit him in the worst possible place ever.

alright, I'll try. I might as well learn the rules... would make for good conversation if it's on TV at a bar or something lol
    also did you guys see that Cid in the new FF is a girl?

I am hoping so desperately that that game is good. Oh man i want it to be good. Waited 10 years for it.
    Jozhear wrote: »
    yikes, all I know about cricket this year is that some dude died in a freak accident after a ball hit him in the worst possible place ever.

alright, I'll try. I might as well learn the rules... would make for good conversation if it's on TV at a bar or something lol

after i learned the rules and watched a single IPL match, i was like super hooked on the sport, lol

the rules are pretty simple. you hit the ball and you try to run back and forth between the two batsman areas to score runs. you can be out if you hit a pop fly or if the bowler (ie, pitcher) manages to hit the wickets behind you on a delivery. you only get one out, and then you have to leave the field. there are only 11 players on a team so getting out ("losing your wicket", or other terms) is a really big deal, especially if you manage to get out a big hitter. there's the equivalent of balls in baseball (you can't throw too far away from the batter, or he gets a free run), but there aren't really strikes... you can swing and miss all you want as long as the ball doesn't hit the stumps behind you. it just means you scored 0 runs for that delivery, which is the best possible outcome for the bowling team. there are also "boundary" hits that are automatically 4 runs (hitting the ball all the way to the boundary) and "sixes", which are basically home runs worth 6 runs.

in the IPL they play a format called "T20" cricket, which means you face 20 total "overs" of 6 bowls each. so there's a set number of pitches you face, which is why scoring 0 runs on a delivery is good for the defense.

there are two batsman on the field at any time and they both have to run back and forth whenever a ball is hit. like baseball, you can get a batsman out if you manage to hit the wickets before they get back into the safe zone while running from one end to the other. there's lots of neat strategy involved around how to generate runs and how to switch your batsmen.

the bowlers are also really interesting to watch... like baseball, there are slow bowlers and fast bowlers, people who are really good at putting spin on the ball, lots of different delivery styles, etc.

thus concludes your introduction to cricket
    edited January 2015
    this is for the drummers in this thread. ive been thinking lately that i may try and get back into drumming this year and was thinking i might look into an electronic drum kit. space/noise are a concern for me so it wouldnt be realistic for me to get a real drum kit.

a friend of mine has an electronic one back home and he has said good things about it, annd wondered what your guys take on those things is?

im pretty much at beginner level really. i had a super basic drum kit years back and practiced (pretty badly/without real focus) for a couple years before i stopped.
    has anyone had experience with an electronic one to make any recommendations about the size/brand/cost etc?

i may not get one for a little bit at least until i figure out what my finances are gonna be like once ive gotten my current situation figured out.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE DRUMMER IN THIS THREAD

>:]

Yamaha DTX kits are pretty basic and cost efficient. You can find a good deal well under $400. They are relatively small but they can still be heard through walls etc. Not like an acoustic kit of course but they are not quiet, especially if you lack a gentler touch which you will eventually acquire with practice

My advice, budget lessons to go with your purchase of an electronic kit. No point in just dicking around if you're gonna make an investment on the kit. You might as well learn to play. And I believe there is substantial merit in having someone tell you what you're doing wrong and inspiring you to get better. That's just my approach to drums. I have a teacher help me until I believe I can learn no more from them then I just move on to someone else

I could teach you. General pricing is $50/hr range. LMK

For real tho electric kits are neat but they neverrrrrr hold a candle to real acoustic drums. Just my 2c. But ya it's hard if you don't have a space for em.
  • DirgesongDirgesong YOGA SURPRISE! Joined: Posts: 2,591
    evilweevle wrote: »
    this is for the drummers in this thread. ive been thinking lately that i may try and get back into drumming this year and was thinking i might look into an electronic drum kit. space/noise are a concern for me so it wouldnt be realistic for me to get a real drum kit.

a friend of mine has an electronic one back home and he has said good things about it, annd wondered what your guys take on those things is?

im pretty much at beginner level really. i had a super basic drum kit years back and practiced (pretty badly/without real focus) for a couple years before i stopped.
    has anyone had experience with an electronic one to make any recommendations about the size/brand/cost etc?

i may not get one for a little bit at least until i figure out what my finances are gonna be like once ive gotten my current situation figured out.

I've got a set of vdrums, little roland practice kit, and we use it for jamming all the time and it works wonders. It can never replace an acoustic kit for gigs, but it's far superior for playing with roommates / neighbors since you can just turn it down.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,662
    My head pain
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Swag is for girls. Class is for Maidens.

GigaMaidens on deviantART and on twitter @GigaMaidens

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

• ayfRochefortayfRochefort Dynasty Joined: Posts: 2,188
    edited January 2015
    fuck.
    LoL: Noel Rochefort // @noelrochefort
    President of FGCC // http://www.facebook.com/FGCC.Page
  • TeyahTeyah Return of the Dragon Joined: Posts: 1,125
    If I wanted to record 60 fps, 1080p footage coming from any console with an HDMI input, what do you guys recommend for a device? Let's say I wanted to make a combo or tutorial video, so I'm looking to do both of: a) recording long sets and b) turning it on to capture gameplay in 20 second bursts that are easily isolated

For part b), it would be cool if I could hook up the console to the device, then connect it to an HDMI monitor next to my PC, so I can record footage on it and then immediately take the footage off and use it in video editing software, without disconnecting/moving devices around.

The Elgato Game Capture HD doesn't record 1080p @ 60, only @ 30. You can see this on its website here: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/gamecapture-hd
    "Supported resolutions: 1080p (simultaneous 60 fps pass-through and 30 fps capture), 1080i, 720p (60 or 30 fps capture), 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i, 288p, 240p"
    There's also a giveaway in that it doesn't record via USB3, which is needed for higher quality 1080p@60 recordings.

I was in the same situation as you recently and I ended up getting the Avermedia Extremecap U3. It does 1080p@60 via USB3, either compressed to a standard hard drive or uncompressed to SSD only. This is the most reasonable option I could find, the next highest card up was $500-600, and from there on it gets into $1000+. You can get one for $177.99 if you go to Memory Express and have them price match this offer from NCIX.

The interface isn't the best and the software crashes a lot (avoided if you use OBS for streaming), but recording in uncompressed quality is really nice:
    e0ca2220db.png
    I see in frames IRL
    foger wrote: »
    If I wanted to record 60 fps, 1080p footage coming from any console with an HDMI input, what do you guys recommend for a device? Let's say I wanted to make a combo or tutorial video, so I'm looking to do both of: a) recording long sets and b) turning it on to capture gameplay in 20 second bursts that are easily isolated

For part b), it would be cool if I could hook up the console to the device, then connect it to an HDMI monitor next to my PC, so I can record footage on it and then immediately take the footage off and use it in video editing software, without disconnecting/moving devices around.

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/gamecapture-hd

exactly what you're asking for

cool, you own this device and like it I'm guessing? have you heard how it compares to hauppage and avermedia stuff? i dunno anything about those products but i hear the brand names thrown around

usb 2.0 only is a bit of a letdown, it would make a big difference for video files

The Elgato Game Capture HD doesn't record at 1080p@60, only @30 fps. It's stated on the website and other reseller sites, but worded in a way that might lead you to think otherwise:

Another giveaway is that the Elgato captures in USB2.0, which doesn't have enough bandwidth to capture higher quality 1080p@60 video.

I was in the same situation as you recently, and I ended up getting the Avermedia Extremecap U3 which captures in 1080p@60 via USB3.0, and can also record uncompressed video. The next cheapest alternative to the U3 that I found was a $500-600 internal card, and from there on it gets to $1000+ which isn't really practical.

You can pick this up at Memory Express for $177.99 if you get them to price match this NCIX listing, which is a pretty good deal.

The streaming software isn't the greatest (use OBS if you can), but capturing in uncompressed quality is really nice.
    e0ca2220db.png
    I see in frames IRL

cool, you own this device and like it I'm guessing? have you heard how it compares to hauppage and avermedia stuff? i dunno anything about those products but i hear the brand names thrown around

usb 2.0 only is a bit of a letdown, it would make a big difference for video files

The Elgato Game Capture HD doesn't record at 1080p@60, only @30 fps. It's stated on the website and other reseller sites, but worded in a way that might lead you to think otherwise:

Another giveaway is that the Elgato captures in USB2.0, which doesn't have enough bandwidth to capture higher quality 1080p@60 video.

I was in the same situation as you recently, and I ended up getting the Avermedia Extremecap U3 which captures in 1080p@60 via USB3.0, and can also record uncompressed video. The next cheapest alternative to the U3 that I found was a $500-600 internal card, and from there on it gets to $1000+ which isn't really practical.

You can pick this up at Memory Express for $177.99 if you get them to price match this NCIX listing, which is a pretty good deal.

The streaming software isn't the greatest (use OBS if you can), but capturing in uncompressed quality is really nice.
    e0ca2220db.png
    I see in frames IRL

The Elgato Game Capture HD doesn't record at 1080p@60, only @ 30 fps. It's stated on the website and other reseller sites, but worded in a way that might lead you to think otherwise:

I see in frames IRL
    w00fles wrote: »
    The quickest way for me to say "Fuck that" is for character specific combos but GG seems manageable so far. Stuff like "don't include and extra S here" is pretty easy to remember. You can usually do your BnB no matter what button you start the combo with, which I also like.

One thing that drives me nuts about Elphelt is her hardslash whiffing on crouchers so you can't just gatling that shit :(

Some of the more important stuff to remember (for certain characters) are crouching-only combos, since you take 1 extra frame of hitstun while hit crouching. For example, Sol can combo to Grand Viper at farther ranges, Ky/Slayer links and special move combo enders become easier to hit, Zato/Potemkin are now able to combo into their standing Heavy then to drill/sweep for a far range knockdown, and I'm sure there's a bunch more I'm leaving out.

Personally I think this sort of stuff is cool, it gives you something to pay attention to and learn to take advantage of, as you progress into higher levels of play. GG would be a lot more boring to me if it was another one of those "memorize your universal BnB from 2A" type of anime games.
    I see in frames IRL
    I don't play I-No bit from first glance it looks like you probably need to insert a delay between either (or both of) j.K to j.S, and j.S to VCL, to allow yourself to land and link the 5P. Also I wouldn't really get hung up on this, since you won't be landing point blank 2K very often anyway, and 2K (for all characters) scales damage heavily. Just work with ending with j.H xx note, or 2S HCL (VCL) in the meantime.
    I see in frames IRL
    [
    I don't want to get into it but you really cannot compare established journalist circle jerks that are literally effecting the gaming industry with 12 year old 4 chan kids calling in death threats

Come on now

It's not like "gamers" are on trial with the journos. Gamers like u and me don't take favors(monetary or sexual) to give certain games favourable reviews(or the opposite - no coverage at all) which effect the industry as a whole

No, but to everyone outside the broad spectrum of gamer (Yes, of course I agree with you Josh, but from what I can tell, to gamergaters it is an elite niche), it's the actions of these people (who are not just little kids, clearly) who paint what gamers are to those outside the group. The actions of these "12 year olds" are equally if not more harmful to the image of gamer as anything established game media has to say.

And it's not just a really small amount of people. It's a massive vocal minority ravaging the internets, and gamergate is part of the problem, not the solution (No, I defintiely don't agree with games journalism either)
    Killey wrote: »
    You also used massive and minority to describe one thing...

Hundreds of thousands of people out of millions is a massive minority.
    oh fucking god my eyes....

585e3ba3a2ead409256f826a3b9dc348.jpg?v=202200

08b09df54f5988314b36e862cb43648a.jpg?v=202200

42ed976a046855bcba7597a60754d3bd.jpg?v=202200

f743e826e8b7a2a1cad363472a3d1132.jpg?v=202200

d2b09efa8a27eac3b426965c123ecca8.jpg?v=202200

a98d6ce4cb24baf106e6d32e0b05b4a9.jpg?v=202200

2578f17c66299171ef3b9d6988a40228.jpg?v=202200

be416ca5b3c3276c1c2f0c40651bb17b.jpg?v=202200

2cd0ce33f14a082c67139eb1529833de.jpg?v=202200

d79ef422b69c8f4bae6075e0a250a266.jpg?v=202200

6a5fdec6823965e994be842306b6cd0c.jpg?v=202200
  • GandzGandz Andy B Joined: Posts: 315
    edited June 2015
    They all look like they are inspired by your avatar

Edit: Why isn't this thread fucking deleted yet.