Calgary Thread 2014

Comments

• InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,629
    Hey guys, I'm visiting from Ontario. Where can I get information on casuals in Calgary?

I think some people are gathering at a house in the NE on Friday, though you should double check with TheKaiten if it's open to all.

Dickens pub downtown always holds games Sunday starting in the afternoon until close, lots of people go to that.
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited October 2014
    derryk wrote: »
    ... You don't just ask someone a totally random question and not follow up with a reason or explanation josh.

Why did you ask me if I like gravity falls, and for that matter what is it?

Gravity Falls is a cartoon.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• blackaddeblackadde Don't let me down! Joined: Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    what about it
    The Rindoukan Bible: A Makoto Guidebook - http://otersi.com/rindoukan/
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @tenmaranger The best place to get casual games lately is at the U of C on Thursdays. Turnout at Dickens and Tubby's is inconsistent.

Look up FGCC on Facebook to find out where they're meeting tonight. They tend to hop around Mac Hall.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    FakeSteve wrote: »
    RIP Jozhear. You will be remembered. I regret not being able close the gap between us while you were active. You were a huge inspiration for me in Street Fighter and a target that kept me motivated.

To Jozhear as Vega *clink*

strength and honor fakesteve
  • fogerfoger lame is good Joined: Posts: 5,661
    we need a new street fighter

I honestly just cannot put any more time and effort into 4

I really miss 30+ ppl grinding it out at tubbydog and road trips

the one trip where we went to Edmonton and went to that pool hall and spent like 250$ in the punching bag machine afterwards was like top 3 most awesome and fun times in my entire life, felt like being on a road trip with a hockey team
    blackadde wrote: »
    what about it

:#

CoD games since 2008

Call of Duty: World at War
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Call of Duty: Black Ops
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

actual new sf games since 2008

fuckin' nothing
    CoD games since 2008

Call of Duty: World at War
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Call of Duty: Black Ops
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

actual new sf games since 2008

fuckin' nothing

Street Fighter X TeHAHAHA YEAH YOU'RE RIGHT

• MisguidedAngelMisguidedAngel Greetings, mortal! Joined: Posts: 5,214
    edited October 2014
    Xrd > Street Fighter 5

Or at least relying on the faint hope that Capcom even knows how to make good games anymore.
    SF hasn't been good since 3rd Strike.

• TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,202
    Xrd > Street Fighter 5

Or at least relying on the faint hope that Capcom even knows how to make good games anymore.

Capcom might not, but DIMPS does and iirc they are back on the job for the first version of SF5
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
  • DirgesongDirgesong YOGA SURPRISE! Joined: Posts: 2,591
    Nothing like seeing 300 CDs delivered to your doorstep. Jawwwyeeeaaah it's real now.

edited October 2014
    TMNTemps wrote: »
    Capcom might not, but DIMPS does and iirc they are back on the job for the first version of SF5

I'unno. DIMPS did SFxT...

But they've also been working on Dragon Ball Xenoverse (Which is apparently actually really good for a Dragon Ball game), so I guess SF5 is still a mighty long ways away.
    the engine for SFxT was fine, it was other things that sunk it

AE2012 was the best version of SF4 and it was fine

best thing to do is find a new fighting game to have fun with, for some that will be Xrd, for me it has been KI. SF5 is at least 18 months away I'd guess.
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!

is anyone here really up on Ultra or are all of us grumpy now
  • TheKaiten7TheKaiten7 Joined: Posts: 1,829
    i am. I've been hosting for about a month. yall are the ones not showing up.
  • FakeSteveFakeSteve Mayhem Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 2,499
    I really like Ultra. I feel like in this version more than any other, almost every character has what they need to win. There are so many good characters now, and so many fewer autoplays (Ibuki is a bit of an exception I suppose, but I never really had a problem with her in specific to begin with, just that all the best characters were like that in 2012). Feels like there's more onus on the player to make reads rather than have their character do the work for them. I think it's a great version of sf4 and I'm really enjoying the parity. Feels like the tier list has compressed greatly.
    HOT DOG KING
    I guess his question is, are you really liking it/think it's an improvement over the old game?
    edited October 2014
    Sakura is a great example, they took most of her dumb shit away, and even though people seem to think she's down in low tier now, she's still SUPER capable and doesn't have a matchup worse than 4-6, except maybe Guile or Rose, but with her comeback factor, it's hard to call anything worse than 4-6. I feel like a lot of characters are like this now, besides the few outlying 7-3s its a really balanced game
    HOT DOG KING
    In terms of longevity I think we're just seeing the beginning in Ultra. There's a handful of characters that are just so under-explored or under-represented by top players that we haven't even seen a fraction of the impact of Ultra's changes. They did a fantastic job helping out a lot of characters (except dee jay and sim, fuck those guys). Abel is a good example, he got exactly what he needed in that close fp hitbox buff
    HOT DOG KING
    edited October 2014
    I'd call it an improvement, and I liked 2012

I also think Poison is one of the best designed characters in a long, long time. She's very complete and very strong without having anything too overbearing. She's probably in the top 10, but has nothing abusable.
    HOT DOG KING
    edited October 2014
    yes, Abel got better in a smart way, and they did take away some dumb stuff, so that's good

but then why are all the new characters so horribly glitchy? why is red focus such a polarizing mechanic? why did they use delayed wakeup as an attempt to fix unblockables and instead punish honest offense?

to me, red focus is meeeeh I guess it's in the game so whatever, it's the glitchy/unfinished characters and delayed wakeup that did me in :( I basically feel like I'm playing a beta build every time I'm on a new stage or against a new character

I'd like to see what people who still play the game a lot think though
    i personally love it. like you said red focus is there. it nets me wins and gives me losses so I'm whatever on it. its a tool. still haven't messed around with delayed wake up but i haven't said fuck this game because of it. I'm sure once i figure out set ups and stuff around it I'll enjoy watching for it. the only character i have a problem with is elena. how can they have such a wonky character put into the game. even back empty jump avoides hakans u2 or something like that :o if they executed her a bit better she'd be really fun. hugo is amazing. by far my favorite new character. rolento is annoying as all hell with his tool set and good jump ins. j.hp can only be aa with fuki timed well. thats how good the hit/hurtbox is. poison and decapre are meh. poison is getting a lot of attention though so i expect her to be a problem soon. have never been an issue except for elena since I've been playing ultra. the dp fadc nerf helps me out a lot as well.
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 4,275
    yea come on guys you cant just sit and wait around for sf5 to drop you gotta take matters into your own hands.
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,815
    so nobody wants a cool sf hoodie for canada cup hey?

geez. if it's the price i'm not that hard up for cash, open for offers, lol.

i know some of you read comics, what did you think of the death of wolverine?

kinda sad to think he's dead!
    i think the death of wolverine is gonna be like the death of superman or deadpool. i look at these "death of" comics and just turn away. killing a character off is like a top fg player saying he's retiring from fgs. how the hell do you retire from a video game.
    It was kinda anti-climactic... But thematically a good choice for him to go out that way. I liked Death of Wolverine.

I'm much more heart-broken that Superior Foes of Spider-man ends next month :(. Favourite comic ever.
    edited October 2014
    TheKaiten7 wrote: »
    i think the death of wolverine is gonna be like the death of superman or deadpool. i look at these "death of" comics and just turn away. killing a character off is like a top fg player saying he's retiring from fgs. how the hell do you retire from a video game.

This is a pretty good write-up of why death in comics still matters: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/09/14/hero-worship

Sure, he'll be back in a year but that's not really the point.
    edited October 2014
    yeah they did end the story quite quickly
    huge build up, but very little "holy shit he's actually dying"

also, kaiten, he's going to be dead for real reals in all new story line material, unlike superman
    edited October 2014
    nice work srk
    edited October 2014
    seriously, great job srk.
    edited October 2014
    super nice work srk
    edited October 2014
    Wolverine will for sure be back in a year or two. Marvel said Steve Rogers was dead for reals back during Civil War too. But that's not really the point... death lets you tell a story about sacrifice you couldn't otherwise tell; lets you change up the status quo for a while; lets you see how other characters are affected, and then tell another amazing story when they come back. There are great examples of death handled really well. (The Flash sacrificing himself to save all reality is one of my personal faves, and Winter Soldier and Red Hood stories came from death. Barry Allen didn't come back after dying in comics for over 20 years... maybe it'll take Logan that long to come back too)

Superman's death is for sure a low point in the art of death in comics, but the 90's were terrible in general so who cares.

Oh, and Ted Kord's death lead to so many awesome moments you couldn't have done if people didn't "die" in comics. Booster Gold seeing him again in 52 made me cry...
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    Rofl some dude at the bar ate his chicken wings too fast, choked on them and puked all over the table AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    evilweevle wrote: »
    yea come on guys you cant just sit and wait around for sf5 to drop you gotta take matters into your own hands.

oh no you don't i'm not playing no skullgirls with you

i'm glad you guys seem to be down with ultra but imo it's just a lazy beta for a game that's been out for 6 years already. all the changes were really timid and things like delayed wakeup / shitty hitboxes just make a slow and defensive game even more so. i played all the versions of sf4 pretty heavily, all the way up till the day ultra dropped. capcom seems to have no clear vision for the game, which is baffling because they have so much data (6 years!! over 2,000 days worth of matches!) to draw from.

at least i still have a lot of fun watching snakeyez.
    edited October 2014
    evilweevle wrote: »

oh no you don't i'm not playing no skullgirls with you

Aww~ It's okay, Dave.

You wanna play Skullgirls with me instead?

Hmmmmm....?

BCffNmG.jpg

Zelda is so much fun. New main ;).
  • Nos99Nos99 Science Scrub Joined: Posts: 4,651