Vega (Claw)

GumberculesGumbercules Fullscreen Super ProJoined: Posts: 567
I'll be honest I'm extremely new to ST but I'd like to know how to effectively use Vega, anyone have any tips or strats?
CVS2: C-Vega, Eagle, Blanka K-Rock, Geese, Blanka
3S: Shitty Oro

Comments

• Ryu1999Ryu1999 Keyboard Warrior Joined: Posts: 838
    1. Mash cr. strong.
    2. Jump fbs whenever you want and hit em with j. fierce
    3. After knockdown, walldive shenanigans
    4. Be gay
    5. Repeat 1-4 as needed
    6. Win
    7. The end
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:25 PM): dammit i need toilet paper, we're all out
    Me (10:27:36 PM): backed up to all get out?
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:40 PM): so i'll shit then shower
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:46 PM): then shave
    "orangemegaslide" (10:27:48 PM): brb in a bit
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,926
    Edit:Stupid shit I said back when I didn't know what I was talking about.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
  • GumberculesGumbercules Fullscreen Super Pro Joined: Posts: 567
    Ah ok good to know, my first instinc when playing him was mash the crap out of c. mp and tick like crazy, didn't know he was that good to be soft banned though
    CVS2: C-Vega, Eagle, Blanka K-Rock, Geese, Blanka
    3S: Shitty Oro
    Edit: More dumb shit.
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    He's soft banned for a reason.
    (post ment with respect, and not ment to flame)

What? By whom? That is news to me.
    I don't know any serious SF player(s) that would softban him.
    (It is not like he is akuma...)

Kyokuji you're a crazy boy :looney: :rofl:

Softbanning is a joke.
    Go to any serious player and say something like that.
    They'll have a good laugh.
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • cam347cam347 Joined: Posts: 841
    BnB combos

Crouching MK, Flip Kick (HK), juggle with Flip Kick (HK?)
    crouching MP, claw roll, link crouching MP

All good pokes.
    Standing far MP, HP, MK are all great against shutting Gief down on the ground
    crouching MP is god poke u can also use LP, LK, MK
    Slide from max range (blocked) is decently safe.

Haven't played in a whiel so I got little to nothing to offer
    XBL- FKE SNK
    Edit: Even more.
  • CapMasterCapMaster OG Pad Player Joined: Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Flip Kick can be stored.

My main bread and butter is jump roundhouse, crouch forward, link into crouch strong. I call it the fastest three hits around. Usually dizzies, if not, then one more hit does it.
    Reborn ST hustler.
    2009 Gamestop Regional Champion
    It's like something out of Looney Tunes: "Which way did he go? Which way did he go"?

LOL... No shit. Yeah there is some truth to that.:rofl:
  • VegaVega Joined: Posts: 917
    Know that standing roundhouse is a nice anti-air too, and sometimes crouching fierce. These are alternatives to if you don't have your flip kick ready to go. Standing roundhouse is better overall than crouching fierce...at least I think so. It can cleanly beat Fei Long out of his chicken wing kick thingy, for example.

Another one (more of an air to air) is his jumping forward or away with fierce. It's a nice way to beat out an opponent wall-diving Vega and it has some success with Chun-Li's jumping short kicks. Plus jumping fierce if your ticket to punishing stuff like Honda flying headbutts, Bison flying torpedos, and horizontal Blanka balls.
    7 and a switchblade.
    Steven Seagal as The Cockpuncher - "I don't think you have the balls."
    Chaos Crypt - "I'd say we sound like the primeval howl from the cursed newborn."
    Standing HK is def his best AA. Crouching HP is good against a low jumping opponent from a distance.

One thing I like to throw in after a blocked claw roll is cr. MP to wall dive. U can do the regular one or Sky High Claw. Just a good way to fool your opponents.
    XBL- FKE SNK
  • GrahamGraham Joined: Posts: 571
    soft banning any character just makes you vulnerable to them. On another note he is able to be beaten if you learn his weaknesses of course. but this is a thread about how to win with him.

Ducking fierce is better than standing roundhouse in some situations

Standing roundhouse has some vulnerability issues vs some chars like chuns jumpins. But you can jump straight up and hit fierce to counter her jumpins.

Techniques. Well a basic one that some people might not do is i back off and use triple kick flips to charge my super up. If you arent using his super then get used to it, many characters have certain vunerable situations where its extremely good to use and considering you cant 'miss it' its one of the best supers in the game.
    not to argue but I think standing HK is more suited. It just has to be out early.

Also dont forget you can link a cr. MP off of a standing close HP
    XBL- FKE SNK
    Here some help!
    not to argue but I think standing HK is more suited. It just has to be out early.

Also don?t forget you can link a cr. MP off of a standing close HP

I wish I had my YBH here with me.

I would post the hit box images, then the reason why the cr.feirce is better than the roundhouse would be very obvious.

So, you have to take in faith what I am going to say...LOL.

Basically:

Every character is outlined in colilsion areas. In the game you can't see them but they are there. This is shown when you hit someone. Sparks explode on a characters when the areas collide.

YBH illustrates these areas with the use of blue and red boxes.

The blue box outlines the area where you take damage. (ie. characters body)

The red box is outlines the areas where you give damage. (ie. the extended arm of Ryu's standing friece)

If a red box of player 1 over laps a blue box player 2, player two takes damage.

If both player have both red boxes and both blue boxes over lapping, they hit trade and they both receive damage.

NKI has a link in the wiki that gives examples of the blue & red boxes.

Knowing this we can assert that every move has an optimal hit position. This is where you hit with the part of the red box that is the furthest from the blue box on your character.

This allows you to attack your oppenent with keeping your vulnerable areas as far away as possible from you opponent . Think of this as "priority" in SF lingo.

The Hit box spread (distance between the blue box and the red box) is substantially greater in the cr.ferice than the standing roundhouse. It's spread is twice that than that of the round house, and therefore harder to hit through (it has better higher priority) if you are trying to jump in.

Here is a list characters and some of their highest priority jump ins that have a harder time hitting through a cr.friece than the standing round house. (Off the top of my head)

Ryu, jp.hk
    Ken, jp.hk
    Chun, Jp. fw
    Honda, Jp.mk
    Blanka, jp. hk,hp,wk
    Zangief, jumping Knee
    Guile, jp straight up freice (he pretty much can't jump in against vega)
    Dahlsim, drills
    T.hawk, dive & Jp.hp
    Cammy, jp. mp
    Dee Jay, jp.wp,hk,mk
    Fei Long, jp. hk
    Sagat, jp.hk
    Vega, jp.hp
    Balrog (boxer) jp.hp
    M.bison, jp.hk,mk

Most of these will hit through the standing RH clean (even if rh is at optimal hit position). Where as they may trade or be beaten by the cr.fierce (if cr.fr at optimal position)

I hope this helps. :wgrin: I had to throw it together really quickly.
    once again not arguing but the reason I ASSUMED that HK was better is because of the positioning on cr. HP. But I've seen this YHB thing b4 with Guile. If ya do find it, can u send it to me please. But one last thing, does Flip Kick beat both AA's?
    XBL- FKE SNK
    once again not arguing.....

I don't think you are:wgrin: . I was just trying to pass some info.
    But I've seen this YHB thing b4 with Guile. If ya do find it, can u send it to me please.

Are you looking to buy the book? There is a link in the 'SF Turbo in the house,' thread. If i can get it a color scanner at home to work, I'll put up those two images (cr.hp & standing hk) for comparison.
    But one last thing, does Flip Kick beat both AA's?
    Yeah, it is his best anti-air. Invicbility, good damage (hits x 3), and builds meter, you can't ask for more!..:lovin: ..LOL
  • jactiafjactiaf Down, but Never out Joined: Posts: 31
    a few things are being left out though, as vega's ground game is best used when mixing standing forwards (at both close and medium range) standing fierces (which also has good priority over shoto low roundhouse for example), cr. forwards and strongs. And Graham is right on Vega's super, it's a wonderful tool in his arsenal and can grab rog out of a dashing punch and is just a great way to screw with your opponent's head when you have a full meter. Don't forget either his jumping straight up strong punch as it can snuff a decent amount of air attacks. When Vega is knocked down and your opponent is right on top of you, throw him immediately as you get up as vega has an excellent grab range and would have the wake up advantage anyway since he's the one that's getting back up. I really can't stress enough just poking with his standing forward and other crouching attacks, although be careful around cammy with that as she can give vega a hard time if played patiently. Don't underestimate his jumping short as it can snuff out certain AAs. And lastly, don't be bashful about cheaping with vega, he's designed for throwing out a blocked attack and then following up with a throw. When going against other charge characters, after you knock them down, right before they get up cross them up but don't actually attack, the thing here is that by crossing them up you erase their charge although be careful when doing this against guile as he can still flash kick but if you space your jump right, it won't be that big of a deal anyway.
    -- He wears you down, you get bored, frustrated, do something stupid, and he's got ya

-- It's not that I have no honor, I do/ it's just I play with No Restraints with the No Honor Crew
    ill be brief on some vega strats i use. First off he does shitty damage you probably noticed. So to make up for this i try to use the heavy buttons whenever possible , as in even anti airs since you dont know how frequently you'll hit people try to use the highest damage buttons with him. for anti airs you dont need to use ground necessarily, one of my favorite anti airs is jump straight up and fierce. when playing charge style and approaching with slides, you can do the flip kick as an anti air, this style is relatively annoying to fight against since you cant jump at him but he outranges you on the ground.

Ask some specific questions and ill give ya some answers.

Graham
    shall we move on to match-up's now

when usign Vega I always use him against Vega

Mainly use all of your pokes, keep-away the usual shit. Try for no tick throws. Always try for Claw Roll on waking up Gief's. I dont think he can SPD outta it on wake-up, possible though I'm sure. Also mix-up the wall dive(s) game. From max range standing HP works great against Gief
    XBL- FKE SNK
    No, I'm pretty sure Zangief can do his 3P lariat on wakeup against the claw roll. Maybe someone can test this but for some reason I swear that works.
    7 and a switchblade.
    Chaos Crypt - "I'd say we sound like the primeval howl from the cursed newborn."
  • jactiafjactiaf Down, but Never out Joined: Posts: 31
    As for Zangiefs Lariat question, it will knock Vega on his ass if vega does a jab roll.

And by any chance could anyone post any advice on how Claw can handle Blanka, Honda, and Balrog? Any tips and advice would be super helpful, thanks!
    -- He wears you down, you get bored, frustrated, do something stupid, and he's got ya

-- It's not that I have no honor, I do/ it's just I play with No Restraints with the No Honor Crew
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    vs blanka, just c.lp, mp all day.

he cant do much against it
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • UncleBuckUncleBuck Retired Button Masher Joined: Posts: 395
    Any advice for handling Chun Li? thx
    --Mastering Spanish Ninjitsu--
    --AV N.I.ed by Shatterstar back in the day--
    --Team Pink Taco : Come Get Some--
    --Bumping Uglies Since1992, It Is Still Not Pretty Yet--
    Any advice for handling Chun Li? thx

chun has one zone where she can jump in at you, thats when she is near you and you're not charged, too close to jump straight up and fierce and if you're not charged you cant flip kick which is the only counter at this range. What does this mean? dont let her get you in that range. Stay close and charged, if she fireballs, jump at her. poke with low strongs. Slide to move in on her and sometimes hit her as she tries to fireball. Basically you play close turtle style if possible. Imo its advantage vega that matchup.
  • ThisGuileKillYaThisGuileKillYa SSS++++ tier at exaggeration Joined: Posts: 2,627
    Some claw questions:

1. What's good to do on a dizzy or punish situation? Ive been doing just a jump fierce into a crouch forward or strong, but Id be surprised if better didnt exist.

2. Is it worth it to use the wall dive and MISS, like as a positional mixup? Like a runaway tactic? When ive been wall diving and trying to connect a lot, I like to mix in an intentional whiff, but a lot of times it seems Im still vulnerable.

3. I know a lot of tricks for the wall dive SLASH, like the cross, not cross, which wall to go to, etc etc.. ut any tips on LANDING the wall dive THROW? Mainly Im asking because of the super. Is it a "the threat is stronger than the execution" thing where I can expect to land a lot of slashes on people scared of the throw?

4. If I time my flip kick reversal perfectly every time, is there anything that should beat it?

5. Are there any key matchups a claw player should know about? Like ones he either has a lot of problems with or should win for free?
    USF4: Still soul searching. Thus far... Yun, Chun, and Akuma.
    UMvC3 mains: Morrigan Doom Vergil, Magneto Doom Ammy, Morrigan Doom Magneto
    UMvC3 fer funsies: Dante Vergil-or-Dorm Magneto, Wesker Sent Hawkeye, Dante-or-Magneto Doom Vergil, Wolvie Doom-or-Sent Akuma, Nova Doom Ammy, Magneto Doom-or-Sent Dante, Wesker Dorm Magneto, Dante Strange Magneto
    MvC3: Dante Magneto Sentinel
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Sentinel ST: Chunny Bunny. 3S: Akuma, Ryu, Dudley. Vampire: Fish, BBHood
    UMK3: Kabal, H.Smoke, Jax, almost everyone. Chess: 1. c4
    On a dizzy, I prefer to try a fierce Claw Roll as they are getting up. My goal is to try to get the last three-four hits, which includes the part where he sticks out the claw to combo. The key is getting the claw part to hit, it is the most damaging. Otherwise, try a throw or wall dive I guess.

Typically for me, other reversal specials can beat the flipkick. I don't have any frame data to back this up, but I've lost out to DPs going at it at the exact same time.

Key matchups? Depending who you ask, Honda is a tough one for Vega and to me his only badly deficient matchup. You kinda gotta out turtle Honda here, but unfortunetly he has more options to out turtle you. You must be spot-on hitting your flip kicks to counter his sumo headbutt should he go for it. Otherwise your best shot is to get a knockdown, then go for crossover wall dive stuff. The crossover is vital because it can turn Honda around and make him lose the charge for his headbutt.

Some say Bison is a tough matchup too, but I like to take advantage of the fact Bison has no wake up reversal by pounding him with wakeup stuff such as dives, meaty clawrolls, and ticks. In this match is seems whoever gets on top of who first wins.

Besides that, Vega seems to do at worst alright against every other character. Chun can give him trouble, but so can vice versa. Shoto and Sagat matchups to me seem more dependant on the players. Vega is the one character can do well against Sim, very well VS Guile, and to me Blanka, Zangief, Hawk are almost free wins.
    Reborn ST hustler.
    Vega is the one character can do well (against)... Blanka.

Can you tell me more about. I ALWAY have problems with Vega vs. Blanka.
    Thanks!:wgrin:
    Can you tell me more about. I ALWAY have problems with Vega vs. Blanka.
    Thanks!:wgrin:

This matchup gave me trouble too for a while. Once you learn it though you'll get better at it.

Charge back/Walk backward the whole round. If he balls, you can either flip kick through it, try one of the other counters suggested, or block, take a small step forward, standing fierce. Sounds basic, but this one strategy of stting there with Vega is good enough. Eventually, especially if you have a lead, he has to try something to come to you.Funny, cause doing anything else can be trouble with Blanka. Wake up balls or electricity can stop cross over wall dives. If the Blanka is good at wake up balls, it can stop doing meaty Claw Rolls on top of him. Just keep him out and wear him down. Don't go into his meathouse.

In the original everything ST thread DSP broke this match down pretty good and it helped me out. See if you can find it somewhere.
    Reborn ST hustler.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    keep him at bay with c.lp and c.mp to wear him down and use the slide occasionally..

the only thing he can do from there is whiff a blanka ball from a distance to get in and into the crossup lk and/or throw since vegas c.lp/c.mp beats pretty much everything blanka throws at him on the ground.

when you do get crossed up, that means trouble since vega has no real anti air against it. also his throw range is much greater than yours and has a lot of nasty setups afterwards so do anything to not let him get in.

dont try the wall dive crossup shenennigans against him. its very easy for him to upball or even electricity you out of it almost every time.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
    Snip...
    I'll try to find that thread... Thanks!
    Snip...
    Thanks!

This has been one of my harder match ups.
    I have not played this match ups enough to figure out what to do.
    Good info.
    + Rep for you guys.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hey guys. I've been reading a lot of these strategy threads on Vega, and one of his major strong points seems to be being able to 'store' his Super Special Move.

My point being, all I've got to play on is SF: Anniversary Edition, and I've tried storing Vega's super with no avail.

Was this a glitch that they fixed in Anniversary Edition? Or am I just not getting the motion out right?

-NowhereMan-
    [bump]

Anyone?

I've been looking for a while, and I haven't found anything.

-NowhereMan-
  • SoundatronSoundatron Energon Guzzler Joined: Posts: 518
    his super never had the store glitch only Chun & Honda.
    SSFIV - Claw (II), Juri (II)
    3S - Twelve (I), Necro (I/III)
    HD - Claw
    Oh, well thanks then.

Do you know if Chun and Honda's work in AE then?

lol I know, kind of redundant.

-NowhereMan-
    Yeah the stored specials/supers work as long as you hold the start button when selecting Super Turbo as your play style.

You know that works for the old versions of characters too. Like if you wanted O. Fei Long you'd hold start while selecting Super as your play style.

I don't know why they did the stupid "codes" like that but whatever. At least they made the option available I guess. :smile:
    7 and a switchblade.
    What good would storing Vega's super do anyway? Lol.
    Not like it's instant or anything.
  • SoundatronSoundatron Energon Guzzler Joined: Posts: 518
    What good would storing Vega's super do anyway? Lol.
    Not like it's instant or anything.

exactly. I mean his super aint that great. It either hits or not lol.
    SSFIV - Claw (II), Juri (II)
    3S - Twelve (I), Necro (I/III)
    HD - Claw
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    Is O.Claw any good? Since his super is like not too great, is there an advantage of using O.Claw?
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    On a dizzy, I prefer to try a fierce Claw Roll as they are getting up. My goal is to try to get the last three-four hits, which includes the part where he sticks out the claw to combo. The key is getting the claw part to hit, it is the most damaging. Otherwise, try a throw or wall dive I guess.

I'd be really surprised if jump in :hp:, cr:mk: , cr:mk: , cr:mp: doesn't do more damage.

P.S. Vega is lame, pick someone else.

I bet Nowhereman was alluding to the fact that Vega doesn't use up his meter unless he actually connects his super in original ST. Anyhow... I think this is fixed in AE and can be fixed in ST via dip switches. With the fix his meter is used up as soon as he bounces off the wall (which decreases the usefulness of the super by a large margin as far as I'm concerned.)

Can't believe no one picked up on that. I don't even play Vega and I know it...
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
    I'd be really surprised if jump in :hp:, cr:mk: , cr:mk: , cr:mp: doesn't do more damage.

P.S. Vega is lame, pick someone else.

I bet Nowhereman was alluding to the fact that Vega doesn't use up his meter unless he actually connects his super in original ST. Anyhow... I think this is fixed in AE and can be fixed in ST via dip switches. With the fix his meter is used up as soon as he bounces off the wall (which decreases the usefulness of the super by a large margin as far as I'm concerned.)

Can't believe no one picked up on that. I don't even play Vega and I know it...

Actually its not 'broken' and never was. This is how all grab supers in ST are made, they don't use their super until they grab the enemy. You might be thinking of more generic street fighter versions that came out later.

If you don't like Vega, why are you posting on the Vega thread?