The Journey to Japan

FuddFudd High Level ParkingJoined: Posts: 1,215
Under the advice of Kuroppi, I am posting this here in addition to strevival.com


[Caution: Long post ahead. This has actually become so long I have to break it into separate parts.]
Ever since I was a kid obsessed with video games, I've wanted to visit Japan. In the days before internet, my brother would tell me about things he read from his magazine subscriptions like EGM--Games that are only released in Japan or the latest technology. In my mind, for years, there would be a mystical hype about Japan bubbling all the way up to these few days. Would the real thing deliver?
I've been living in South Korea as an English teacher in an after-school program. Originally, I wanted to spend my vacation time traveling around Japan with some American friends in the penultimate week of January, but my school basically made me take my vacation during the weeks of Christmas and New Year's. Things don't always go as we plan them to, but I was more focused on the fact that I'd finally be achieving a lifelong dream.
I've always wanted to go to Japan, but my motive seems to have changed from video games to overall culture, finally narrowed down to Super Turbo. With the recent closing of Nakano Royal and even Super Arcade being on the ropes (again), there is no better time than now to pay homage to what is left of the global arcade scene.
Since my work told me at the last minute about my vacation, I had to make arrangements in the same fashion. Luckily, this didn't affect ticket prices at all, but I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to find a hotel. I had to search for a long time, but I finally made a reservation to stay in a capsule hotel for four days. Another factor that added to my stress was that my December paycheck hadn't come in yet (though it should have) and I was running on fumes of only about $300 cash (¥250 after changing currency from KRW to JPY at the airport, yuck) since I could charge the flight and hotel.
Everything worked out, though: New Year's happened to be a great time to visit Japan and I would heartily recommend it to anyone else in the future. I was just so juiced at the idea of finally being the wandering world warrior and seeing how I stack up against the gods of Super Turbo. I see myself as a rather stoic person. Normal things tend to not excite me very much. But when it comes to Super Turbo, a game I can actually say I've given years of my life to along with a number of others, such a deep satisfaction overcomes me and everything else in my life is just child's play.
I used to write excessively long blog entries detailing everything I could remember about tournaments and events I attended. I've been to EVO plenty of times, and to be completely honest, the rush of hype it is expected to cause wears off quite quickly these days. Now that I've seen what the ST “holy land” has to offer firsthand, I can make a comparison with the competition back home. I feel it's personally important for me to document my first time in Japan.
Before I went to Japan, I had no understanding of how their currency was arranged. The biggest shock for me was that their $1 and $5 counterparts (¥100 and ¥500, respectively) are coins. The other coins available are at ¥1 (not as common), ¥5, ¥10, and ¥50. I just wanted to get this explanation out of the way since it helped me better understand how arcade culture has survived in Japan and I hope the reader can piece it together as I recount my tale.
I'll try to do this as chronologically as I can since that seems to be the easiest way to express my experience with some sort of structure. It was only four short days, but everyone always remembers their first time.

Day 1 – December 29, 2013
I was originally going to bring my laptop bag and my bookbag (mostly clothes) since my actual luggage suitcases are enormous and I don't have any mid-ranged sized bags. But right before I left, I decided I would truly travel light and just take my bookbag. I never really regretted it since I was able to manage stuffing everything in there (including a new backpack that I bought since the old one has a zipper jam). Ryu only carries one bag, right?
The flight from Busan to Narita is about 100 minutes. Really not bad at all and the round trip ticket only cost me around $200. Sleeping in a box for four days ran me about $137. While I was at the airport, I made sure to buy the 2-day Tokyo Metro rail pass for ¥980 (there is also a 1-day pass for I think ¥580). It was a smart decision since I've grown to love exploring cities and I would be hopping around various arcades. I had scheduled my check-in time at the hotel to be 1500 since that's the default and it sounded reasonable as I landed at 1300. But I got really confused by all the options of getting out of the airport with my measly budget of ¥250 cash.



By the time I figured all of that out and called the hotel to tell them I'd be late (a long, confusing conversation in itself), it was around 1730 when I checked in. The hotel was in Kiba, which was a stop on the Tokyo Metro Tozai (teal) line. I decided the best route was to get to Funabashi, a stop I saw on the railway out of the airport and then transfer over to the Nishi-funabashi Tokyo Metro station, one end of the Tozai line (the closer end to Kiba). Getting lost is part of the fun. When I got to Kiba, I dropped off my stuff in my locker (they give you a locker to go with your capsule) and found an immediate answer to a question that boggled me ever since I booked my room.
My question was: is there a housekeeping service offered at capsule hotels?
The answer was on an English sign in the locker area: if you don't want your capsule to be cleaned, please pull the curtain down when you leave
So yeah, the “door” to the “room” is basically just a curtain. New experience for me, but I'm just happy I found a warm place to sleep.



The winter weather in Tokyo is very mild compared to Korea. I didn't have to wear long underwear layers beneath my street clothes. Another immediate difference was the lack of swift and ubiquitous internet I'm used to in Korea. Considering these things made me think of how my experience in Japan would have differed if I had not lived in Korea beforehand. The two countries share a lot of similar cultural customs and even their languages are often both classified in the Altaic language family. Initially, I kept wanting to speak Korean since that's usually the foreign language that is floating around in my head (I have terrible command of any language but English—an American stereotype I live up to, but want to change). But since there's a great deal of history and rivalry between Korea and Japan, there is also a lot of enmity. Perhaps it's best I don't get too deep into this subject and carry on.
Anyway, I wanted to hurry to the Tokyo area since I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to find Versus. I had wanted to get there around 1800~1900 since that's when the casuals start up for the weekly East-West battle. Right as I was walking to the subway station, I felt like I forgot something. I went back to the hotel and asked them for their business card or something with their address in case I got lost and needed to taxi it back. When I went down to the subway, I decided not to use my Tokyo Metro pass yet since I started the day in the Tokyo area so late and it would be a good opportunity to spend some time learning how to use the subway instead of just swiping a magic card everywhere. I took the train to Nishi-nippori and night had already fallen. How was I going to find Versus? I just picked a direction and started walking.

69512_10203003904884519_1269770357_n.jpg
Holy site #1: Versus.
This arcade was the hardest one to find since the sign is so tiny and it's really tucked away in a back alley. I had asked two pachinko places if they could point me to a gamecenter, but they didn't know. Finally, I asked some guys working at a smaller gamecenter and one of them pointed me to the alley in between a Yoshinoya and a KFC.
I was only here on Sunday for the big East-West battle (the last one for 2013!).
It's ¥50 to play a 2/3 set. The first ST “celebrity” I recognized was Pony.

I was considering asking at a small police outpost where I could find a gamecenter since they were so close to the subway station, but by the time I walked back a woman was in there talking with the officer. I kept going in the same direction after I turned around and everytime I heard electronic sound effects, as if from a video game I was fooled by the call of a pachinko hall! I could have sworn I heard Ryu's hadouuuken or some of the other CPS2 sfx I know so well. But I was determined. I had gone this far and I was going to find it. Asking around, I relied on a small phrase I crafted using only one semester's worth of Japanese I took five years ago.
“Baasus-no gamecentaa-wa doko desuka?”
[Where is the Versus gamcenter?]
It wasn't much, but it was enough. I snapped that picture and climbed the narrow stairs up to the third floor and by the time I saw a danisen ranking board propped up on the floor with the character portraits and player names, I was just about on the verge of tears. I really made it. The journey of a lifetime leading all the way to a smokey den of cramped cabinets. There weren't too many people around on the ST machines yet, so I felt I deserved some dinner.
My journal entry for that day has my first meal in Japan (McDonalds) clocked at 1910. I took my time, savoring every fry and sip. Some lines from after that meal:
Tonight, let's prove that even gods can bleed. And if it bleeds, we can kill it.
I love traveling alone, lonely as it is at times. I determine my own limits.
Sleeping in a $30 box for a couple nights, but I don't even give a ffffuuuuuuuu..!


1557522_10203003905484534_100579546_n.jpg
My first meal in Japan. The small text at the bottom gives the definition for "lattice," ha.

I walked back and there were more people, though it wasn't quite packed yet. I didn't really see any players that I recognized from videos or pictures, so I just watched people warm up since I didn't understand what was going on yet. There was an older gentleman in a hat, coat, and scarf who I decided I would introduce myself to since he seemed like a nice fellow. Again, I fell back on the little Japanese I remembered—the stock introduction.
“Hajimemashite. Nasanieru desu. Doozo yoroshiku.”
{This is the first time we have met. I am Nathaniel. Please be nice to me.}
Additionally, I threw in: “Amerikajin desu. Watashi-no Nihongo-ga heta desu.”
{I am an American. My Japanese is poor.}
My intuition was correct and this man was very welcoming towards me. I didn't really know much of what he was saying and I think my silence helped to convey that. I watched one of his games and sat down at the cab after he got up. The prompt in the corner said PUSH START instead of INSERT COIN, so I thought maybe the cabs were on freeplay. After I lost and stood up, the man in the hat held up two fingers, implying I should play a 2/3 set. I decided I would ask around later to see how much I owed for the freeplay. I did this for a little while at other machines until I saw that people were indeed putting in coins. The next time I sat down, I wasn't sure what coin to insert, so I put all the various types of coins I had in my hand and Kawasim pointed to the ¥50 piece. And then it made sense to me that ¥50 pays for two credits (about 25cents/game) and you play a 2/3 set.
I actually identified Kawasim from his roundhouse red Dhalsim and asked him “Kawasim desuka?” as well as giving the stock introduction. I was very lucky to find that he speaks a little English. He asked if I watched the Versus battles on YouTube and helped point out some of the players for me, though, to be honest, I only really knew of Mu, Tsu, and Hanashi (I usually only watch Sim and DJ matches or really big names these days). By this time, the killers started rolling in and I introduced myself to the likes of Pony, VIPER, Nakamura, and Shogatsu. Pony's reaction to my bottled introduction was rather Japanese (polite) as he reassured me that my Japanese didn't suck and Shogatsu was also very welcoming. As soon as I said “America” to VIPER he dropped the name riz0ne.
There was a clipboard near the TV/stream station with a list of names and characters and I signed in using my first name in Katakana since I thought it might be difficult for Japanese people to say Fuddulous or Fudd properly. I asked Kawasim how much to enter and he said ¥50. He walked around carrying the collection plate to get more coins. I think the turnout was around 57 players. By this time, I had asked Kawasim if any other Japanese players speak English and I was introduced to Shu. Damdai told me Shu speaks the best English, so I knew I was in a good place. However, Shu was a bit busy helping to organize the event so I tried not to disturb him too much.
The East-West battle started and I was on the 2P side, playing at the tenth slot. Also on my team was the man with the hat who played his fierce blue Guile. The English YouTube re-up of the event has his name as Torisugari, but earlier that evening I had written down the letters “TZW” and pointed to him, asking if it was him (since I couldn't recall his picture from STR). He waved his hands and shook his head. In Japan, there is definitely more character variety, more characters like Ken and Guile as you may have heard and it was pretty nice to not have to fight Boxer/Claw/O. Sagat every other game. I took off my coat and bag, resting it in the gap between the tip of a row of cabinets as Kawasim instructed. “Don't forget it.”
A Chun player on 1P was tearing up the 2P team and my turn was coming up soon. I told Shu that I didn't want to have to fight Chun. He (accurately) predicted that Azelea Guile would defeat the Chun. But then a N. Hawk player beat Aze and suddenly it was my turn. Terrible flashbacks of fighting Papercut and damdai briefly came up, but I just sat down and decided I'd play as clean as I could. After it was done, Shu said that hardly anyone knows who the Hawk player is since he lives far away. All that was left was to sit back, enjoy the show, and root for 2P. It boiled down to heavy-hitters and then Numa appeared for the 2P team and F'ed up everybody. When I saw Numa sneak on to the cab, I got a Willy Wonka vibe from him and I have no idea why. But after the 1P team was eliminated, the exhibition matches ran and all the remaining players fought each other.
After it was over, Shu said to me, "Now you can drink." This stressed me out a bit since I thought it meant everyone was going out for drinks or something (I'm a super lightweight when it comes to alcohol). But instead, he handed me ¥120—the winning team is awarded some money—and said I could get a drink from the vending machine. I was relieved and walked over to see the selection. Most of the drinks cost ¥120, but I saw Nakamura drinking something called Wilkinson, which costs ¥150 (the equivalent of three 2/3 sets!). I remember thinking that maybe if I drink it, too, then maybe I'll have cleaner footsies. The drink's label said Grapefruit, herbs, honey and had a nice, spritzy taste to it. Additionally, the humble Nikaiten (he works at Versus and organizes the events) was going around offering everyone a Japanese rice cake. A New Year treat, maybe?
During the event, I kept looking at my watch to make sure I didn't overstay since the last train was around midnight or so. I left a little before midnight and ran down to the subway, seeing that I would catch the last train listed. But the last train would only take me to Kabayacho, the transfer station for Chiyoda (green) line. When I tried to get on the Tozai line, subway personnel denied me. I would have to cab it back to Kiba. Good thing I remembered to get that hotel business card. And just so you know, cab rides in the Tokyo area start at ¥710 and this one came out to ¥2000. Hell of an end for a hell of a first day, I guess.
I remember commenting to Shu:
"Man, you guys do this every week?!"
"Every week."
If I could play against Sashishi and Sasori every week for a couple of years, I think I might just learn a thing or two about Super Turbo. A different conversation I had with Shu was about another player—I forget who, maybe Tonegawa or Kawasim—and his age. I definitely felt like the youngest person there (though I'm not sure how young Tsu is), but I'll touch on this topic again later when I reveal more of my trip.
PS: Don't whiff anything against Hanashi if he's within midrange. Otherwise, you're dead :)

Tune in next time for Day 2: Exploration!
"See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
Super Turbo Revival
"Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT

Comments

  • mrdhalsimmrdhalsim Joined: Posts: 378
    Awesome write-up Fudd, I've been looking forward to this. I definitely understand wanting to kind of blaze your own trail when visiting Japan for the first time, "getting lost's part of the fun" etc.

    Glad you met Kawasim, who was one of the guys I had told the week before at Versus that that an American by the name of "Faddo-san" might show up. I'm looking forward to Part 2!

    XSPR
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    Awesome writeup! The dedication that a lot of these guys have to attending the East-West battles week after week is pretty amazing. I heard apparently Numa lives like two hours away from Versus, yet regularly makes the trip. Did you get a chance to talk with VIPER at all (despite the language barrier, he's very friendly especially towards foreign players who've made the trip)? I guess the language barrier might've been a slight issue..

    I'll be in Tokyo this April/May, and this writeup has me all fired up now. I'll be sure to add my own trip log (for the third time) too.

    Looking forward to the rest!
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

    www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
  • hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    Thanks for the writeup Fudd! I look forward to making the trip sometime.
    _______________________________________________________________
    STRevival

    Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
  • CarmenCarmen 三十六計,走為上策 Joined: Posts: 684
    I'll be honest, I'm not a ST player (I tried to play little back in college during 3S/MvC2 days) but I'm always interested in other players' arcade stories. I live in Beijing, and am pretty 'in' our arcade scene there. It's a great community we have (like all arcade communities are) and when you brought up the comment:
    "Man, you guys do this every week?!" "Every week."
    That is pretty much the way we are too (well, some of us, including me, show up even more often, like 3-4 times a week). Unfortunetly, our arcade scene isn't on the same level in Japan, in the sense we have less diversity (and less games). So our big scenes are Tekken (the one I'm in), SF4, KOF '97, the rhythm crowd (mainly IIDX, Taiko and DDR, I play IIDX), the racing crown (Initial D seems to be the only game though) and the shooter crowd (very small, unfortunetly, but we do have Espgaluda 2 and stuff). Obviously ST doesn't exist here and the closest is some HF setups (like Korea, I think). I'd love to be able to go to Japan someday (but, like a previous poster mentioned, the language barrier seems daunting).
    "老外的LEI很烦人"
    "yea get rid of that tekken three habit of using lei"

    "还是换人吧"

    "你心中怨念深重,怒火冲天门。导致你铁拳技能急速下降"

  • k4polok4polo Your Lethal Assassin Joined: Posts: 4,725
    edited January 2014
    This was pretty neat to read.

    I have always wanted to visit Japan myself but I am limited to my place. I will eventually and be probably more lossed than you.
    "Where there is light, there's a shadow"
    SFV: Nash, Cammy, Urien
    Injustice 2: Poison Ivy, Super Girl, Wonder Women
  • jamesepoopjamesepoop making this look easy Joined: Posts: 1,324
    edited January 2014
    Fudd, what hagwan are you employed by? I was working at Chungdahm two years ago. I considered going to teach again, but never really was a good teacher lol.

    Your experience brought back alot of memories. Did you ever hit up any of the arcades in hanguk? You're pretty far off in Busan so probably not spending too much time in seoul. I only remembered the one arcade outside of Cheongho and a few random tournies that popped up.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's blog for review of new arcade parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod
    Great read. I've been to Japan for work about 12 times the past few years and I really envy the times you've had already. I am finally planning on going for vacation and to just game/enjoy next month.

    Keep it up!
  • ElderGODElderGOD GOD Joined: Posts: 9,800
    Fudd wrote: »
    Under the advice of Kuroppi, I am posting this here in addition to strevival.com


    [Caution: Long post ahead. This has actually become so long I have to break it into separate parts.]
    Ever since I was a kid obsessed with video games, I've wanted to visit Japan. In the days before internet, my brother would tell me about things he read from his magazine subscriptions like EGM--Games that are only released in Japan or the latest technology. In my mind, for years, there would be a mystical hype about Japan bubbling all the way up to these few days. Would the real thing deliver?
    I've been living in South Korea as an English teacher in an after-school program. Originally, I wanted to spend my vacation time traveling around Japan with some American friends in the penultimate week of January, but my school basically made me take my vacation during the weeks of Christmas and New Year's. Things don't always go as we plan them to, but I was more focused on the fact that I'd finally be achieving a lifelong dream.
    I've always wanted to go to Japan, but my motive seems to have changed from video games to overall culture, finally narrowed down to Super Turbo. With the recent closing of Nakano Royal and even Super Arcade being on the ropes (again), there is no better time than now to pay homage to what is left of the global arcade scene.
    Since my work told me at the last minute about my vacation, I had to make arrangements in the same fashion. Luckily, this didn't affect ticket prices at all, but I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to find a hotel. I had to search for a long time, but I finally made a reservation to stay in a capsule hotel for four days. Another factor that added to my stress was that my December paycheck hadn't come in yet (though it should have) and I was running on fumes of only about $300 cash (¥250 after changing currency from KRW to JPY at the airport, yuck) since I could charge the flight and hotel.
    Everything worked out, though: New Year's happened to be a great time to visit Japan and I would heartily recommend it to anyone else in the future. I was just so juiced at the idea of finally being the wandering world warrior and seeing how I stack up against the gods of Super Turbo. I see myself as a rather stoic person. Normal things tend to not excite me very much. But when it comes to Super Turbo, a game I can actually say I've given years of my life to along with a number of others, such a deep satisfaction overcomes me and everything else in my life is just child's play.
    I used to write excessively long blog entries detailing everything I could remember about tournaments and events I attended. I've been to EVO plenty of times, and to be completely honest, the rush of hype it is expected to cause wears off quite quickly these days. Now that I've seen what the ST “holy land” has to offer firsthand, I can make a comparison with the competition back home. I feel it's personally important for me to document my first time in Japan.
    Before I went to Japan, I had no understanding of how their currency was arranged. The biggest shock for me was that their $1 and $5 counterparts (¥100 and ¥500, respectively) are coins. The other coins available are at ¥1 (not as common), ¥5, ¥10, and ¥50. I just wanted to get this explanation out of the way since it helped me better understand how arcade culture has survived in Japan and I hope the reader can piece it together as I recount my tale.
    I'll try to do this as chronologically as I can since that seems to be the easiest way to express my experience with some sort of structure. It was only four short days, but everyone always remembers their first time.

    Day 1 – December 29, 2013
    I was originally going to bring my laptop bag and my bookbag (mostly clothes) since my actual luggage suitcases are enormous and I don't have any mid-ranged sized bags. But right before I left, I decided I would truly travel light and just take my bookbag. I never really regretted it since I was able to manage stuffing everything in there (including a new backpack that I bought since the old one has a zipper jam). Ryu only carries one bag, right?
    The flight from Busan to Narita is about 100 minutes. Really not bad at all and the round trip ticket only cost me around $200. Sleeping in a box for four days ran me about $137. While I was at the airport, I made sure to buy the 2-day Tokyo Metro rail pass for ¥980 (there is also a 1-day pass for I think ¥580). It was a smart decision since I've grown to love exploring cities and I would be hopping around various arcades. I had scheduled my check-in time at the hotel to be 1500 since that's the default and it sounded reasonable as I landed at 1300. But I got really confused by all the options of getting out of the airport with my measly budget of ¥250 cash.



    By the time I figured all of that out and called the hotel to tell them I'd be late (a long, confusing conversation in itself), it was around 1730 when I checked in. The hotel was in Kiba, which was a stop on the Tokyo Metro Tozai (teal) line. I decided the best route was to get to Funabashi, a stop I saw on the railway out of the airport and then transfer over to the Nishi-funabashi Tokyo Metro station, one end of the Tozai line (the closer end to Kiba). Getting lost is part of the fun. When I got to Kiba, I dropped off my stuff in my locker (they give you a locker to go with your capsule) and found an immediate answer to a question that boggled me ever since I booked my room.
    My question was: is there a housekeeping service offered at capsule hotels?
    The answer was on an English sign in the locker area: if you don't want your capsule to be cleaned, please pull the curtain down when you leave
    So yeah, the “door” to the “room” is basically just a curtain. New experience for me, but I'm just happy I found a warm place to sleep.



    The winter weather in Tokyo is very mild compared to Korea. I didn't have to wear long underwear layers beneath my street clothes. Another immediate difference was the lack of swift and ubiquitous internet I'm used to in Korea. Considering these things made me think of how my experience in Japan would have differed if I had not lived in Korea beforehand. The two countries share a lot of similar cultural customs and even their languages are often both classified in the Altaic language family. Initially, I kept wanting to speak Korean since that's usually the foreign language that is floating around in my head (I have terrible command of any language but English—an American stereotype I live up to, but want to change). But since there's a great deal of history and rivalry between Korea and Japan, there is also a lot of enmity. Perhaps it's best I don't get too deep into this subject and carry on.
    Anyway, I wanted to hurry to the Tokyo area since I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to find Versus. I had wanted to get there around 1800~1900 since that's when the casuals start up for the weekly East-West battle. Right as I was walking to the subway station, I felt like I forgot something. I went back to the hotel and asked them for their business card or something with their address in case I got lost and needed to taxi it back. When I went down to the subway, I decided not to use my Tokyo Metro pass yet since I started the day in the Tokyo area so late and it would be a good opportunity to spend some time learning how to use the subway instead of just swiping a magic card everywhere. I took the train to Nishi-nippori and night had already fallen. How was I going to find Versus? I just picked a direction and started walking.

    69512_10203003904884519_1269770357_n.jpg
    Holy site #1: Versus.
    This arcade was the hardest one to find since the sign is so tiny and it's really tucked away in a back alley. I had asked two pachinko places if they could point me to a gamecenter, but they didn't know. Finally, I asked some guys working at a smaller gamecenter and one of them pointed me to the alley in between a Yoshinoya and a KFC.
    I was only here on Sunday for the big East-West battle (the last one for 2013!).
    It's ¥50 to play a 2/3 set. The first ST “celebrity” I recognized was Pony.

    I was considering asking at a small police outpost where I could find a gamecenter since they were so close to the subway station, but by the time I walked back a woman was in there talking with the officer. I kept going in the same direction after I turned around and everytime I heard electronic sound effects, as if from a video game I was fooled by the call of a pachinko hall! I could have sworn I heard Ryu's hadouuuken or some of the other CPS2 sfx I know so well. But I was determined. I had gone this far and I was going to find it. Asking around, I relied on a small phrase I crafted using only one semester's worth of Japanese I took five years ago.
    “Baasus-no gamecentaa-wa doko desuka?”
    [Where is the Versus gamcenter?]
    It wasn't much, but it was enough. I snapped that picture and climbed the narrow stairs up to the third floor and by the time I saw a danisen ranking board propped up on the floor with the character portraits and player names, I was just about on the verge of tears. I really made it. The journey of a lifetime leading all the way to a smokey den of cramped cabinets. There weren't too many people around on the ST machines yet, so I felt I deserved some dinner.
    My journal entry for that day has my first meal in Japan (McDonalds) clocked at 1910. I took my time, savoring every fry and sip. Some lines from after that meal:
    Tonight, let's prove that even gods can bleed. And if it bleeds, we can kill it.
    I love traveling alone, lonely as it is at times. I determine my own limits.
    Sleeping in a $30 box for a couple nights, but I don't even give a ffffuuuuuuuu..!


    1557522_10203003905484534_100579546_n.jpg
    My first meal in Japan. The small text at the bottom gives the definition for "lattice," ha.

    I walked back and there were more people, though it wasn't quite packed yet. I didn't really see any players that I recognized from videos or pictures, so I just watched people warm up since I didn't understand what was going on yet. There was an older gentleman in a hat, coat, and scarf who I decided I would introduce myself to since he seemed like a nice fellow. Again, I fell back on the little Japanese I remembered—the stock introduction.
    “Hajimemashite. Nasanieru desu. Doozo yoroshiku.”
    {This is the first time we have met. I am Nathaniel. Please be nice to me.}
    Additionally, I threw in: “Amerikajin desu. Watashi-no Nihongo-ga heta desu.”
    {I am an American. My Japanese is poor.}
    My intuition was correct and this man was very welcoming towards me. I didn't really know much of what he was saying and I think my silence helped to convey that. I watched one of his games and sat down at the cab after he got up. The prompt in the corner said PUSH START instead of INSERT COIN, so I thought maybe the cabs were on freeplay. After I lost and stood up, the man in the hat held up two fingers, implying I should play a 2/3 set. I decided I would ask around later to see how much I owed for the freeplay. I did this for a little while at other machines until I saw that people were indeed putting in coins. The next time I sat down, I wasn't sure what coin to insert, so I put all the various types of coins I had in my hand and Kawasim pointed to the ¥50 piece. And then it made sense to me that ¥50 pays for two credits (about 25cents/game) and you play a 2/3 set.
    I actually identified Kawasim from his roundhouse red Dhalsim and asked him “Kawasim desuka?” as well as giving the stock introduction. I was very lucky to find that he speaks a little English. He asked if I watched the Versus battles on YouTube and helped point out some of the players for me, though, to be honest, I only really knew of Mu, Tsu, and Hanashi (I usually only watch Sim and DJ matches or really big names these days). By this time, the killers started rolling in and I introduced myself to the likes of Pony, VIPER, Nakamura, and Shogatsu. Pony's reaction to my bottled introduction was rather Japanese (polite) as he reassured me that my Japanese didn't suck and Shogatsu was also very welcoming. As soon as I said “America” to VIPER he dropped the name riz0ne.
    There was a clipboard near the TV/stream station with a list of names and characters and I signed in using my first name in Katakana since I thought it might be difficult for Japanese people to say Fuddulous or Fudd properly. I asked Kawasim how much to enter and he said ¥50. He walked around carrying the collection plate to get more coins. I think the turnout was around 57 players. By this time, I had asked Kawasim if any other Japanese players speak English and I was introduced to Shu. Damdai told me Shu speaks the best English, so I knew I was in a good place. However, Shu was a bit busy helping to organize the event so I tried not to disturb him too much.
    The East-West battle started and I was on the 2P side, playing at the tenth slot. Also on my team was the man with the hat who played his fierce blue Guile. The English YouTube re-up of the event has his name as Torisugari, but earlier that evening I had written down the letters “TZW” and pointed to him, asking if it was him (since I couldn't recall his picture from STR). He waved his hands and shook his head. In Japan, there is definitely more character variety, more characters like Ken and Guile as you may have heard and it was pretty nice to not have to fight Boxer/Claw/O. Sagat every other game. I took off my coat and bag, resting it in the gap between the tip of a row of cabinets as Kawasim instructed. “Don't forget it.”
    A Chun player on 1P was tearing up the 2P team and my turn was coming up soon. I told Shu that I didn't want to have to fight Chun. He (accurately) predicted that Azelea Guile would defeat the Chun. But then a N. Hawk player beat Aze and suddenly it was my turn. Terrible flashbacks of fighting Papercut and damdai briefly came up, but I just sat down and decided I'd play as clean as I could. After it was done, Shu said that hardly anyone knows who the Hawk player is since he lives far away. All that was left was to sit back, enjoy the show, and root for 2P. It boiled down to heavy-hitters and then Numa appeared for the 2P team and F'ed up everybody. When I saw Numa sneak on to the cab, I got a Willy Wonka vibe from him and I have no idea why. But after the 1P team was eliminated, the exhibition matches ran and all the remaining players fought each other.
    After it was over, Shu said to me, "Now you can drink." This stressed me out a bit since I thought it meant everyone was going out for drinks or something (I'm a super lightweight when it comes to alcohol). But instead, he handed me ¥120—the winning team is awarded some money—and said I could get a drink from the vending machine. I was relieved and walked over to see the selection. Most of the drinks cost ¥120, but I saw Nakamura drinking something called Wilkinson, which costs ¥150 (the equivalent of three 2/3 sets!). I remember thinking that maybe if I drink it, too, then maybe I'll have cleaner footsies. The drink's label said Grapefruit, herbs, honey and had a nice, spritzy taste to it. Additionally, the humble Nikaiten (he works at Versus and organizes the events) was going around offering everyone a Japanese rice cake. A New Year treat, maybe?
    During the event, I kept looking at my watch to make sure I didn't overstay since the last train was around midnight or so. I left a little before midnight and ran down to the subway, seeing that I would catch the last train listed. But the last train would only take me to Kabayacho, the transfer station for Chiyoda (green) line. When I tried to get on the Tozai line, subway personnel denied me. I would have to cab it back to Kiba. Good thing I remembered to get that hotel business card. And just so you know, cab rides in the Tokyo area start at ¥710 and this one came out to ¥2000. Hell of an end for a hell of a first day, I guess.
    I remember commenting to Shu:
    "Man, you guys do this every week?!"
    "Every week."
    If I could play against Sashishi and Sasori every week for a couple of years, I think I might just learn a thing or two about Super Turbo. A different conversation I had with Shu was about another player—I forget who, maybe Tonegawa or Kawasim—and his age. I definitely felt like the youngest person there (though I'm not sure how young Tsu is), but I'll touch on this topic again later when I reveal more of my trip.
    PS: Don't whiff anything against Hanashi if he's within midrange. Otherwise, you're dead :)

    Tune in next time for Day 2: Exploration!
    Godlike post from @Fudd

    I actually quit SRK and haven't been on for months but a friend notified me of this legendary post.

    I wish I could have made the ST journey as well and a ton of my old crew who all quit around the late 90s.

    @MrWizard @D3v Can we get Fudd's legendary post on the SRK front page?

    I see you are still rocking that godlike DFO avatar as well.

    I miss DFO but I've been focusing on real life at the moment.

    If I were to describe ElderGOD in real life using a single word it would be absolutely godlike.

    This has been a rare return from ElderGOD reminding everyone to stay godlike.


  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    edited January 2014
    jamesepoop wrote: »
    Fudd, what hagwan are you employed by? I was working at Chungdahm two years ago. I considered going to teach again, but never really was a good teacher lol.

    Your experience brought back alot of memories. Did you ever hit up any of the arcades in hanguk? You're pretty far off in Busan so probably not spending too much time in seoul. I only remembered the one arcade outside of Cheongho and a few random tournies that popped up.

    I'm actually working at a public school, employed by the TaLK program. I'm down in Jeollanam-do, about 4~5 hours away from Busan and ~6 hours from Seoul. Word had it that laugh said there is a ST scene in Korea, but I've found nothing but Tekken and some KOF out here. Then again, I haven't been to Seoul much and if there are hotspots, I wouldn't know where to look.

    Thanks everyone for your feedback and I'll be sure to crank out Part 2 as soon as I can.
    And special thanks to XSPR for giving Kawasim the heads-up on my arrival.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • ISIMORNISIMORN CLAW Joined: Posts: 74
    Great read, brings back to me good memories, excepted I had to give 120 JPY to the other team ! lol ! I may go back there on 2015, I won't miss these East vs Weast once again ! The BUTCHERS Session !
  • weedianweedian Hechando Chingaso! Joined: Posts: 275
    k4polo wrote: »
    This was pretty neat to read.

    I have always wanted to visit Japan myself but I am limited to my place. I will eventually and be probably more lossed than you.

    What language barrier? Insert coin, press start, kick ass (or if you're like me, get your ass kicked).

    Everything else? Google.

    豆のおかげで俺が飛べるんだ!
  • CarmenCarmen 三十六計,走為上策 Joined: Posts: 684
    edited January 2014
    Ehh, if you don't know the language its not as much as fun TBH. I have a few white friends into FGs here but since they don't speak the language, they don't have nearly as much fun at the arcade as I do, so they don't go nearly as often and prefer to do home sessions (lame). The shit talking and going out to eat together after playing games all day, generally being part of a community, is a big part of the fun.

    Someone told me the arcade scene in Seoul like totally died a few years ago... all that's left is Green. Not sure if that's true or not?
    "老外的LEI很烦人"
    "yea get rid of that tekken three habit of using lei"

    "还是换人吧"

    "你心中怨念深重,怒火冲天门。导致你铁拳技能急速下降"

  • jamesepoopjamesepoop making this look easy Joined: Posts: 1,324
    Carmen wrote: »

    Someone told me the arcade scene in Seoul like totally died a few years ago... all that's left is Green. Not sure if that's true or not?

    With all the console gaming, sure.. Plus they don't always carry older diehard games (to keep up with the demand and space) I didn't ever get to session with Korean guys too often due to my schedule so I always went home on the last bus. But I know tourney players still go in a few nights a week to get their fix in addition to sessions at home.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's blog for review of new arcade parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    Fudd wrote: »
    I'm actually working at a public school, employed by the TaLK program. I'm down in Jeollanam-do, about 4~5 hours away from Busan and ~6 hours from Seoul.

    Does the pay scale with distance/closeness to major cities? Did you just want to be in the countryside? I've considered making the move a few times.
    _______________________________________________________________
    STRevival

    Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    hanasu wrote: »
    Fudd wrote: »
    I'm actually working at a public school, employed by the TaLK program. I'm down in Jeollanam-do, about 4~5 hours away from Busan and ~6 hours from Seoul.

    Does the pay scale with distance/closeness to major cities? Did you just want to be in the countryside? I've considered making the move a few times.

    EPIK operates like that, I believe (last I checked). It's also a full-time program; I'm only part-time (thus after-school). TaLK only has rural assignments, so I had no choice. Some places are still more rural than others, though.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • Mike RobertsonMike Robertson Joined: Posts: 942
    edited January 2014
    Great read. reminds me of my trip. (edit was in 2006)

    when I went I had just turned 20. I went to SBO the first day, I recall seeing Ricky Ortiz there but it could have been someone else. there was definitely a team from USA playing though for 3rd strike. they lost bad. the things that stood out for me the most was uriens throwing up double aegis reflector setups and people parrying entire super arts like it was nothing. it made me realize evo moment 37 or whatever was not actually a rare occurance in japan.

    i played casuals Alpha 2 (there were test stations for SF Collection 2 running) this gave me a false sense of skill and when i went to an actual arcade the following day and lost multiple matches of SF2 I got pretty mad. my brother instructed me that i should not bang on the machine with my hands as i could get kicked out. I tried asking around to see if people played on Xbox online and clearly this was not even remotely a thing in Japan.

    at the time, i was into SF but not into it like I am now. would love to be able to revisit all the amazing arcades again and see where i am at.
    Post edited by Mike Robertson on
    STEAM: OG_Rawbertson (CFN: OG_Rawbertson)
    PSN: OG_Rawbertson (CFN: Rawbertson)
    Honda / Birdie
  • BernieBernie Dumb skeezers Joined: Posts: 1,799
    edited January 2014
    Great read! I regret not being able to participate in the weekly team battle when I was there a few months ago but I was in Tokyo for business and couldn't really stay late enough to do it. Plus I don't know any of the Japanese ST players personally and with my Japanese being nonexistent, I'm sure it wouldn't nearly be as fun. I'll do better next time I'm there - planning on going with some friends for fun in a few months and they have some local VF players that they hang with.

    I'm not a fan of the Tokyo metro pass because you're limited to only certain lines. Probably better off getting a Suica card. It works everywhere, you can refill it for whatever money you want to put on, and you can use it outside of the subway system for groceries and whatever else. All cities should have something like this IMO.

    For the next time, if you can budget it and want to stay in a slightly better place, you might consider staying at a weekly mansion spot. It's basically a small apartment. The longer you stay, the cheaper it gets. And you should definitely check out Hey in Akihabara for cheap ST - 10 yen per game and good to great comp most hours of the day.
    Post edited by Bernie on
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    edited January 2014
    Fudd's writeups are also available on the STR website, if it's easier to read there:

    Part I
    Part II
    Shhh... ST in da house!

    www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,171
    edited January 2014
    I actually saw your articles on str first rather than here left a comment there but I don't think anyone reads those so I'll just copy and paste it here...

    Personally I would have hit up hey arcade before versus. Did you know they were doing the east v west battle that day? I would have changed my plans for that... Can't wait for part 3 living ST Japan vicariously through you until I can afford to go myself.

    Also, what's the shortest term with TaLK? I've been looking into programs that have short terms so I can teach to completely pay for my travels.
    ....Japan he has the nickname "Gatekeeper", because once you can consistently beat him you know you're a top player.

    That's an epic nickname and story to go with it...

    Edit: there needs to be a mango manga (stupid autocorrect) made of this :lol:

    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    edited January 2014
    Thanks to Kuroppi, I did know that they were doing the East-West that day, which is why it was my first destination. Obviously Hey seems like a better place to warm up, moneywise. But I didn't know where anything was and I didn't want to spend more money than I had to by visiting two arcades OR be late for the East-West battle.

    EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to address your other question. Six months is the shortest contract you can take with TaLK. I think it might be one of the only programs that does 6 months, most are 1 year.
    Post edited by Fudd on
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • SpidercarnageSpidercarnage Joined: Posts: 91
    Great write up Fudd, I look forward to day 3.
  • hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    Fudd wrote: »
    EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to address your other question. Six months is the shortest contract you can take with TaLK. I think it might be one of the only programs that does 6 months, most are 1 year.

    Do they still reimburse for flight/housing for the 6 month contracts?

    _______________________________________________________________
    STRevival

    Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    Yeah, housing is free though you still pay utilities. They reimburse your flight to Korea and your flight back home at the end of your contract.

    Sorry I'm lagging on the rest of the log. I've been lazy, but today and the next few days I have a lot of deskwarming to do. It'll give me time to write.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • SirSmoovSirSmoov Keepin' the distance Joined: Posts: 87
    Okay, I figured someone in here may be able to help me. I'm in Kyoto for a couple of months and the A-cho arcade is somewhere in Kyoto. Can anyone advise me which prefecture it is located in and/or what nearby site it is next to. I have similar nerd dreams that must be fulfilled
    "Sleep is for babies...Gamers player ALL NIGHT!!!"
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    SirSmoov wrote: »
    Okay, I figured someone in here may be able to help me. I'm in Kyoto for a couple of months and the A-cho arcade is somewhere in Kyoto. Can anyone advise me which prefecture it is located in and/or what nearby site it is next to. I have similar nerd dreams that must be fulfilled
    Kyoto is not too far from Osaka, where many SF2 legends live. They often gather at Autobahn and Ko-hatsu, I believe.

    Anyway, check this thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/181510/street-fighter-2-world-map/

  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    edited February 2014
    Fudd wrote: »
    I asked the players at my table which of the American players they wanted to see, but I think it was a pretty simple answer. Shu confirmed it. “afro legends. His boxer is very strong. He would be most welcome here.” Tonegawa actually said he wants to see Valle the most, but everyone else agreed with afro legends.

    Damn, I think it's time for Afro to make that Japan pilgrimage! I remember Nohoho mentioning once (when he and Damdai were in Japan for SBO) that Sasori came up to them and asked where Afro was, as apparently he really wanted to play him. There's some dream matches I want to see happen!

    Anyway, that was an epic log Fudd -- the best I've ever read. I'm sitting here just imagining how much fun it all would've been (especially the NYE drinks with everyone part). I'd love to have done something like that when I was there, but too bad the NYE Mikado events I went to either didn't have an afterparty or I simply missed them.

    By the way, if you're still considering heading to Japan again sometime this April let me know too.


    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

    www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,247
    i was in Japan for 1 month in October 1999 - November 1999. I was lost and felt stupid when I went into town and everything was written in kanji
  • BernieBernie Dumb skeezers Joined: Posts: 1,799
    Again, it was great to read your write up, Fudd. Anyone that enjoys this game really owes it to themselves to visit Japan at some point before you quit playing. I'm going back again in March and thankfully will have some time to hang out instead of work. If I can fit it in I'll try to join the team battle @ Versus but overall I'm trying to visit/sightsee some spots outside of Tokyo this time. I'll post up about anything really interesting I manage to run into.
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,183
    I don't even play ST (am one of the SF4 scrubs) and was touched by your write up. Nothing short from amazing that a game can connect so many people.
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    i already miss hey from those pics
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    Great read and I'm Mad jelly. I still haven't played a game of ST at the holy land yet.

    whose hands are those? the invincible player is muteki? But he's playing DJ.
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    Nice log. I'm surprised Fudd that you consider Yuuzuru to be your DJ idol - my impression was that the 'hierarchy' of DJ players in Japan was something like:

    Ito >= Seki >>> (all other DJ players)

    Ito is highly regarded since he's one of only a few players in Japan who can go toe-to-toe with MAO, along with guys like Futachan and Shiki. Although Yuuzuru is no slouch, I'd put him a tier below Ito.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

    www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    edited July 2014
    Fudd wrote: »
    I know he is outclassed by the likes of Seki, Ito, and Fujimon in terms of overall solid play and win rate. But I admire Yuuzuru's consistency with combo execution. Just as Dhalsim has a poke for every situation, I believe Dee Jay has a combo for every situation. And Yuuzuru pulls off a lot of them successfully, maximizing his damage output in most instances.

    Ito beat me to a bloody pulp and showed me why he's considered the top DJ in Japan, but I just like Yuuzuru's combos the best. As you said, he's my DJ idol. Everyone else can worship at the Ito shrine, but I want dem killer comboz.
    If you ask moocus who his favorite Ken player is, he won't say Aniken or Mattsun, he will tell you Choshu. Let the underdog fanboys have their say.

    Pap: I think the invincible one was playing against Yuuzuru while I was recording ;)
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    Hey Fudd, why do you like Area 88/UN Squadron so much?
    _______________________________________________________________
    STRevival

    Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    edited September 2014
    hanasu wrote: »
    Hey Fudd, why do you like Area 88/UN Squadron so much?

    I loved the SNES game as a kid, one of my favorites, although I had never beaten it. When I revisited the game in my teen years and beat it, I wondered more about the real story behind the game and took a closer look.
    xdcxo6.jpg
    I thought, "why the hell is Shin so happy that he killed a bunch of people?"
    I learned that U.N. Squadron derives from Area 88, originally a manga series. I kept digging deeper into each incarnation of the story.
    The manga, the anime, the arcade game, the 2004 anime remake. Shin's character and situation just fascinates me. As you might guess, the story in the game doesn't quite do justice to the manga.
    The real Shin is a tragic hero. He has many feelings about being contractually obligated to kill people. Happiness isn't one of those feelings. Crazy as it sounds, sometimes I feel trapped like he does in Area 88. He got dealt kind of a crappy hand in life.

    The Area 88 OVA is great. As of this post, you can find it on YouTube if you've never seen it.
    Post edited by Fudd on
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
Sign In or Register to comment.