The Chainsaw Incident (new 2d horror fighting game)

Comments

• Monkey66Monkey66 Joined: Posts: 1,386
    edited March 2014
    More info about Gorgeous

Gorgeous - Gorgeous is the embodiment of fanfare for Lenore. Fond memories of old Japanese movies and over the top anime. She aids Lenore in her mission, and has no other real purposes in her existence but to make Lenore laugh.
    1962786_759566040722375_1422302252_n.jpg

More of the character screen
    1899902_759566014055711_1511766582_n.jpg

Mike Jones
    1618574_748475991831380_1317578770_n.jpg
    1891117_753427418002904_1669822826_n.jpg
    1888459_748032595209053_1252557145_n.jpg

Percy
    1004965_751513761527603_1560631873_n.jpg
    10084_751513738194272_793939691_n.jpg

Porkchop
    1517482_751507204861592_1194922954_n.jpg

DJ Death
    Reaper of souls. He has come to NEVERMORE to take LENORE'S soul to hell, no matter the cost, however his plans are thwarted as her imagination has come to life and is slowing down his mission.
    1559654_751444724867840_865398842_n.jpg
    1743493_751444818201164_1912425495_n.jpg

New Stage
    1898116_748428038502842_10269052_n.jpg

• Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 690
    Oh shit son. Those characters!!

I too would like to see some proper gameplay, but let's be real, people won't play a good game if the graphics aren't what they want (see Arcana Heart). I am loving the designs so far, so I hope the gameplay lives up to the art.
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 3,321
    His lips aren't big enough.
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    Oh shit son. Those characters!!

I too would like to see some proper gameplay, but let's be real, people won't play a good game if the graphics aren't what they want (see Arcana Heart). I am loving the designs so far, so I hope the gameplay lives up to the art.

People won't play a game with good gameplay and good graphics if the gameplay isn't what they want(cough skullgirls)--let's just keep it real here.
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    So for real though, can we get Mike Jones to be voiced by Del tha Funkee Homosapien?
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • Half-RoHalf-Ro Omae wa mo shinderu.... Joined: Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ps4 huh? I will probably cop it just cause its a horror themed fighter lol
  • GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,850
    nsc wrote: »
    I'm very concerned that this is releasing on PS4.

Like, we don't know how far this is in development, but when are the arcade sticks going to get to the ps4? When is the FGC going to get to the PS4?

Most people are calling like 2-3 years before next gen really becomes something the fgc will notice, is this game going to be in development that long?

Niche fighters don't get big numbers even with an abundance of arcadesticks and consoles in people's homes and sadly I doubt this game will get people onto next gen.

Fighting games didn't hit big on the last generation of consoles (PS3/XBox 360) until March/April 2009 when SF IV was released. That was over 2 years after the PS3 launch and over 3 years after the 360 launch... I don't expect the situation to be much different this new generation of consoles.

The floodgate of arcade sticks sure didn't pop up until AFTER the release of SF IV. PS2 was the bread-and-butter of fighting games well into the lifecycles of succeeding consoles.
    Sure, there were a few big name fighters available before SF IV -- Tekken 5: DR, Tekken 6, and Soul Calibur IV, Virtua Fighter 5 original edition -- but they didn't sell that well and didn't encourage joystick sales like SF IV did.

There were quite a few joystick releases before 2009 -- but mainly in Japan and a lot of those were HRAP variant joysticks (I like to call them "HRAP-lite") that had character art that was themed towards specific games like Arcana Heart 1, Fate: Unlimited Codes, etc. Those were primarily limited-edition PS2 joysticks with pushbuttons soldered directly into PCB boards... luckily the majority of these joysticks at least used JLF control levers. Prior to 2009, there were only a very few joysticks specific to the PS3 and XBox 360 but some of the best joysticks released for the past generation of systems were released late 2007/2008. These would have included the Hori HRAP 3 SA and Sega Virtua Stick High Grade Hardware releases for the PS3 and a few decent 360 joysticks (primarily for shooting games released exclusive to that system). Joystick sales for PS3/360 still didn't become dominant until AFTER SF IV -- an important distinction to remember.

Guilty Gear may be big enough for a "launch" PS4 joystick but I would predict joystick hardware sales IN GENERAL for PS4 and XBox 1 won't be as significant until the next big Capcom game release -- if that even causes much of a ripple. (I get a general sense of desperation about the new console cycle and not great confidence despite some good moves to make the PS4 and X1 easier to develop for... No one's absolutely sure there WON'T be a general videogame industry crash like there has been in the past.) I doubt a "novel" third party fighting game (unless it's a surprise hit) is going to cause the sensation that SF IV did. Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur IV/V barely did anything for joystick sales in general from what I gather and those are the biggest original poly series that have been around since the mid/late-1990s. People were also very satisfied playing those game on standard system pads, too, unlike the SF games. I think GG and BlazBlue have made their mark but I gather their developer has also kept production costs lower (to recoup their costs and make some small profit) than what Capcom or Namco have spent on the new installments in their legacy franchises. It's sad to think that Capcom doesn't believe sales of old, emulated arcade code weren't good enough to go forward with new installments of Darkstalkers or even bother to re-license and extend DLC content for Marvel vs Capcom 3 let alone keep MvC2 available on PSN and XBox Live but that's the situation now...

The software sales definitely have their impact on controller hardware development and releases. As expensive as joysticks are to produce, Mad Catz and Hori are NOT going to flood the market with a ton of controllers that won't sell when the system-selling software simply isn't there yet... That's a good way to go out of business!

• NoKushWaveNoKushWave Ehh Joined: Posts: 97
    This game could be playable with a controller.

this isn't a next gen only title is it?
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 744
    Training mode, the damn skulls are still there

1900110_766716783340634_40418470_n.jpg

• yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,082
    So this game is flash? Or cel shaded?

Hows that gonna work?
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    edited March 2014
    So this game is flash? Or cel shaded?

Those two aren't really mutually exclusive you know, or are you talking about vector graphics? I highly doubt its flash though, its probably a unity game.
    Post edited by COAL on
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
    Oh?

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,752 mod
    As far as the gameplay is concerned, the zoom in after the round has already started is weaksauce. Get rid of it. And the flames n shit in front of the bottom of the screen are a distraction. This team needs to get on the ball and really buckle down if they are making a fighting game. The whole thing looks one dimensional, no mechanics, the attacks look flat...I dont get it
    Gonna have to agree with this.

The game looks sloppy. Hits don't feel right, they look as if the sprites are just overlapping with no impact whatsoever. Jumps look and feel weird. The graphical presentation is distracting, it looks well done but it seems that no thought was put into it actually being functional. There's not enough contrast in the lifebar. The fire effects on the stage cover the fighters. All in all, looks like a game made by folks who don't understand the genre at a competitive level.
    Looks like a bro fighter/novelty fighter.

I didnt see any mixup potential, advanced defend or any inclination that there are lows and overheads.

A real mess. And whos supposed to fund this on kickstarter?
  • NoKushWaveNoKushWave Ehh Joined: Posts: 97
    edited April 2014
    Akiro wrote: »
    >Fund $275,000. 7 characters, local play.

>Fund $825,000. 13 characters, netplay.

Yeah bye. Dead before arrival.

Just read this article. They say the games supposed to be f2p.

http://gamingbolt.com/the-chainsaw-incident-interview-animating-horrifying-and-emboldening-the-2d-fighting-genre

• AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    Shame, I was kind of hype for this but the recent video was rather lackluster and seems like the team has no idea what makes a fighter what it is. Distractions on the screen, no sense of a high/low/OH/Mix-up game. Supers or something that seem to practically instant kill. Hell did they ever jump and do jumping attacks or cross-ups? No don't believe so.

Real shame...
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    lol, nice Mario Party-style clash mechanics. I think I've lost my interest in this one.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    edited April 2014
    Until now I have tried to not talk badly about other fighting games in development because you know, we should get it right first before being allowed to talk, but...

Unlockable movesets?

UNLOCKABLE MOVESETS?
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
    "McClard: I was a common player in the Japan arcade scene over the past 17 years, my big favorites being Street Fighter II Turbo edition, Marvel Superheroes, the VS series, SNK’s Fatal Fury, Samurai Spirits, and King of Fighters series. Over the past years in gaming I always wanted to do a new fighter, and being close to the fighting game companies in Japan, Amer and I decided we wanted to do something that stood out."

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

WAIT..

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    edited April 2014
    art looks good.
    theme looks strong.

the skullgirlsy stuff i don't like (loading screen; think happy thoughts)

gameplay:
    i was watching the gameplay video with the sound off.
    the ui didn't look terrible, but the flames and the skulls are definitely distracting, and should be reworked if not removed.

i was surprised when the first round ended, because there isn't a big enough difference between hitting and blocking.
    there needs to be bigger hit/blocksparks, maybe some more hitstop.
    i didn't even look at the life bars til the second round.

Regarding the zoom: I think it's okay, but the game doesn't say its equivalent of Start! I don't mind it visually but the timing is a problem.

The third round ended pretty unexpectedly as well. balance/pacing issue, i need to know when something hits.
    the lifebars need to be more noticeable.

I don't think milda jumped the entire time, and I couldn't see what was hitting and what wasn't. There was barely any movement - if i recall, no side switches. were there any knockdowns?
    I don't think it's fair to say what's wrong with the fighting game mechanics yet because that wasn't a very good display of any mechanics (barely any jump attacks, no throws, and i couldn't really tell what the characters were trying to do) but it definitely looks like there is a lack of stuff to do in this game lol.

definitely needs more polish. i want hits to feel like hits. probably need more blockstun too.

----

regarding unlockable movesets; as a free to play game, this isn't too far fetched and there's no real precedent. It is a bit outside of a normal fighting game comfort zone though; it might be better off utilized as a "clone character" . . . but it might be more work to change the sprites?

the game has some cool ideas, but a lot of bad ones.
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
  • DangerOnTheRangerDangerOnTheRanger based TvC god Joined: Posts: 294
    C-Sword wrote: »

The art looks pretty sweet, but it was so hard to tell when somebody was actually getting hit or not I had to keep glancing at the lifebars.
    I am the salt of the earth.
    Rage is my body and salt is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand excuses.
    Unknown to winning, nor known to humility,
    Have withstood bans to write many forum rants.
    Yet, those hands will never hold that L.

So as I play,
    UNLIMITED SALT WORKS
    edited May 2014
    phantasy wrote: »
    maybe some more hitstop.
    There needs to be hitstop, period. From the video, it looks like there isn't any.

EDIT: Weird, I just noticed that Onogu (former Tekken and VF dev as well as the guy behind the EF-12 engine) is involved. Hopefully he brings some sense into this thing.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,976
    They said the game is "story-driven".

I'd be more convinced if they said it would be "gameplay-driven".

:/
    Magegg wrote: »
    They said the game is "story-driven".

I'd be more convinced if they said it would be "gameplay-driven".

:/

Who wants to play a story driven fighting game? It doesn't even look fun to play like Red Earth/Warzard is, so you're basically making a singleplayer fighting game with bad singleplayer gameplay.
    edited May 2014
    I think its pretty safe to say the people making this game dont have a good foundation nor do they read real critiques from FG forums like SRK so their blind development will lead to a disastrous end product.

Oh, and theyre definitely not going to raise a million dollars for a kickstarter
    I think its pretty safe to say the people making this game dont have a good foundation nor do they read real critiques from FG forums like SRK so their blind development will lead to a disastrous end product.
    As I said, it's kind of weird when one of the guys supposedly helping them out is Onoguchi-san who's worked for both the Tekken team (he designed Yoshimitsu) and AM2.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, franchises and fighting games need fan input and support more than any other genres/games.

You cant even DREAM to have a successful game without the approval of the FGC. Unless you want your shit to be niche and last as long as an eye blink. Theres an OVER saturation of fighters right now, and the ones that arent top notch just wont cut the cake.
    d3v wrote: »
    As I said, it's kind of weird when one of the guys supposedly helping them out is Onoguchi-san who's worked for both the Tekken team (he designed Yoshimitsu) and AM2.

The Kickstarter has him listed as a technical director, which to me sounds like he's just working on the engine. I'd like for more clarification, but as I read it he's not developing the game mechanically.
  • AkiroAkiro Joined: Posts: 65
    I said it on Dustloop, and I'll say it here. There is no way in hell that that's "gameplay" in the trailer, that has to be an animation made in a video editing program
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »

The Kickstarter has him listed as a technical director, which to me sounds like he's just working on the engine. I'd like for more clarification, but as I read it he's not developing the game mechanically.

Didn't he have an SRK account? Maybe we can summon him to post on the thread.
  • OsakaChieOsakaChie Kawamoto Chie Joined: Posts: 2
    Seems that Chainsaw creators have been listening, they update kickstarter now.
  • ORiGO_GAMESORiGO_GAMES Joined: Posts: 12
    Greetings Shoryuken! Wow there are so many things to comment on in this forum, and we want to be able to be active and answer any questions you might have to The Chainsaw Incident team, as we love reading your feedback and even your flak!

One thing we wanted to emphasize The Chainsaw Incident is a very early project, we have only been working on it now for about 15 weeks, and the footage shown is purely to pitch to you the concept, and not meant to be taken as final product. The funding goal was set higher than most projects for our kickstarter, and we realize that we made some mistakes on the campaign, and we are fixing those up now. We aim to be as transparent as possible with this project, and we want the community involved. Shoryuken has been a huge support helping our team prepare for Kickstarter, and turn our part time passion project into a full time commitment.

Our project will be ongoing even if we only make the lowest tier, and all parts will be delivered, however times will vary depending on our budget. We didn't want to ask for something unrealistic, and give false hope. We could of easily asked for less, or sold for less, but now as you see with the new tiers, its takes ten's and thousands of people to even make the lowest tier at lower prices.

As for the engine and system, we built the initial product on an older engine internally, but we have recently been transitioning to something stronger, and trying to get networking in earlier than later as we know that is essential for you all.

We have a lot of amazing things planned with Onoguchi-san and team, but we need your support. So I ask please bring your constructive criticism's to our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thechainsawincident, and even if you hate the game, back a dollar as it all adds up.

We started out knowing this was a huge risk, but we really believe in the concept. We are making this game for you as we feel you guys deserve the best.

The team looks forward to reading your questions and replies.

29de4a5dd6d2b9e40a41172ff5ec8074_large.png?1399048878

Thanks for your time!
  • ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    edited May 2014
    Well from the pitch video I can see there are some very basic 2D fighting game mechanics that are missing. I'll wait to see actual footage of the game.
    Post edited by Zinac on
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    Looking more and more Kusoge.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • ORiGO_GAMESORiGO_GAMES Joined: Posts: 12
    Alexisdabomb: How does it look bad? Tell us your reasons.
    Zinac: Please lay out what you see is missing, remember this is clearly a pitch. The gameplay system is being worked on a veteran team, that has worked on almost every large franchise fighting game.
    Thanks again for any feedback.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    @Origo_games Honestly, it looks like style over substance. You guys are aiming at 20+ characters (which is a lot for an indie project) and the hud and effects are too busy and overshadow the fight. I understand that it's an alpha and you guys are trying to build interest and you've captured my interest. Now show me something. Show us gameplay. Actual real gameplay and not just two characters doing a couple of random special moves. Show us how the game is played and what makes it unique. Show us systems.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.