The Chainsaw Incident (new 2d horror fighting game)

Comments

• yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,066
    So this game is flash? Or cel shaded?

Hows that gonna work?
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    edited March 2014
    So this game is flash? Or cel shaded?

Those two aren't really mutually exclusive you know, or are you talking about vector graphics? I highly doubt its flash though, its probably a unity game.
    Post edited by COAL on
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
    Oh?

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,043 mod
    As far as the gameplay is concerned, the zoom in after the round has already started is weaksauce. Get rid of it. And the flames n shit in front of the bottom of the screen are a distraction. This team needs to get on the ball and really buckle down if they are making a fighting game. The whole thing looks one dimensional, no mechanics, the attacks look flat...I dont get it
    Gonna have to agree with this.

The game looks sloppy. Hits don't feel right, they look as if the sprites are just overlapping with no impact whatsoever. Jumps look and feel weird. The graphical presentation is distracting, it looks well done but it seems that no thought was put into it actually being functional. There's not enough contrast in the lifebar. The fire effects on the stage cover the fighters. All in all, looks like a game made by folks who don't understand the genre at a competitive level.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Looks like a bro fighter/novelty fighter.

I didnt see any mixup potential, advanced defend or any inclination that there are lows and overheads.

A real mess. And whos supposed to fund this on kickstarter?
  • NoKushWaveNoKushWave Ehh Joined: Posts: 97
    edited April 2014
    Akiro wrote: »
    >Fund $275,000. 7 characters, local play.

>Fund $825,000. 13 characters, netplay.

Yeah bye. Dead before arrival.

Just read this article. They say the games supposed to be f2p.

http://gamingbolt.com/the-chainsaw-incident-interview-animating-horrifying-and-emboldening-the-2d-fighting-genre

• AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    Shame, I was kind of hype for this but the recent video was rather lackluster and seems like the team has no idea what makes a fighter what it is. Distractions on the screen, no sense of a high/low/OH/Mix-up game. Supers or something that seem to practically instant kill. Hell did they ever jump and do jumping attacks or cross-ups? No don't believe so.

Real shame...
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    lol, nice Mario Party-style clash mechanics. I think I've lost my interest in this one.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    edited April 2014
    Until now I have tried to not talk badly about other fighting games in development because you know, we should get it right first before being allowed to talk, but...

Unlockable movesets?

UNLOCKABLE MOVESETS?
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
    "McClard: I was a common player in the Japan arcade scene over the past 17 years, my big favorites being Street Fighter II Turbo edition, Marvel Superheroes, the VS series, SNK’s Fatal Fury, Samurai Spirits, and King of Fighters series. Over the past years in gaming I always wanted to do a new fighter, and being close to the fighting game companies in Japan, Amer and I decided we wanted to do something that stood out."

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

WAIT..

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,557
    edited April 2014
    art looks good.
    theme looks strong.

the skullgirlsy stuff i don't like (loading screen; think happy thoughts)

gameplay:
    i was watching the gameplay video with the sound off.
    the ui didn't look terrible, but the flames and the skulls are definitely distracting, and should be reworked if not removed.

i was surprised when the first round ended, because there isn't a big enough difference between hitting and blocking.
    there needs to be bigger hit/blocksparks, maybe some more hitstop.
    i didn't even look at the life bars til the second round.

Regarding the zoom: I think it's okay, but the game doesn't say its equivalent of Start! I don't mind it visually but the timing is a problem.

The third round ended pretty unexpectedly as well. balance/pacing issue, i need to know when something hits.
    the lifebars need to be more noticeable.

I don't think milda jumped the entire time, and I couldn't see what was hitting and what wasn't. There was barely any movement - if i recall, no side switches. were there any knockdowns?
    I don't think it's fair to say what's wrong with the fighting game mechanics yet because that wasn't a very good display of any mechanics (barely any jump attacks, no throws, and i couldn't really tell what the characters were trying to do) but it definitely looks like there is a lack of stuff to do in this game lol.

definitely needs more polish. i want hits to feel like hits. probably need more blockstun too.

----

regarding unlockable movesets; as a free to play game, this isn't too far fetched and there's no real precedent. It is a bit outside of a normal fighting game comfort zone though; it might be better off utilized as a "clone character" . . . but it might be more work to change the sprites?

the game has some cool ideas, but a lot of bad ones.
    youtube sfv
  • DangerOnTheRangerDangerOnTheRanger based TvC god Joined: Posts: 294
    C-Sword wrote: »

The art looks pretty sweet, but it was so hard to tell when somebody was actually getting hit or not I had to keep glancing at the lifebars.
    I am the salt of the earth.
    Rage is my body and salt is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand excuses.
    Unknown to winning, nor known to humility,
    Have withstood bans to write many forum rants.
    Yet, those hands will never hold that L.

So as I play,
    UNLIMITED SALT WORKS
    edited May 2014
    phantasy wrote: »
    maybe some more hitstop.
    There needs to be hitstop, period. From the video, it looks like there isn't any.

EDIT: Weird, I just noticed that Onogu (former Tekken and VF dev as well as the guy behind the EF-12 engine) is involved. Hopefully he brings some sense into this thing.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,858
    They said the game is "story-driven".

I'd be more convinced if they said it would be "gameplay-driven".

:/
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,326
    Magegg wrote: »
    They said the game is "story-driven".

I'd be more convinced if they said it would be "gameplay-driven".

:/

Who wants to play a story driven fighting game? It doesn't even look fun to play like Red Earth/Warzard is, so you're basically making a singleplayer fighting game with bad singleplayer gameplay.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    edited May 2014
    I think its pretty safe to say the people making this game dont have a good foundation nor do they read real critiques from FG forums like SRK so their blind development will lead to a disastrous end product.

Oh, and theyre definitely not going to raise a million dollars for a kickstarter
    I think its pretty safe to say the people making this game dont have a good foundation nor do they read real critiques from FG forums like SRK so their blind development will lead to a disastrous end product.
    As I said, it's kind of weird when one of the guys supposedly helping them out is Onoguchi-san who's worked for both the Tekken team (he designed Yoshimitsu) and AM2.

-Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, franchises and fighting games need fan input and support more than any other genres/games.

You cant even DREAM to have a successful game without the approval of the FGC. Unless you want your shit to be niche and last as long as an eye blink. Theres an OVER saturation of fighters right now, and the ones that arent top notch just wont cut the cake.
    d3v wrote: »
    As I said, it's kind of weird when one of the guys supposedly helping them out is Onoguchi-san who's worked for both the Tekken team (he designed Yoshimitsu) and AM2.

The Kickstarter has him listed as a technical director, which to me sounds like he's just working on the engine. I'd like for more clarification, but as I read it he's not developing the game mechanically.
  • AkiroAkiro Joined: Posts: 61
    I said it on Dustloop, and I'll say it here. There is no way in hell that that's "gameplay" in the trailer, that has to be an animation made in a video editing program
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

The Kickstarter has him listed as a technical director, which to me sounds like he's just working on the engine. I'd like for more clarification, but as I read it he's not developing the game mechanically.

Didn't he have an SRK account? Maybe we can summon him to post on the thread.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • OsakaChieOsakaChie Kawamoto Chie Joined: Posts: 2
    Seems that Chainsaw creators have been listening, they update kickstarter now.
  • ORiGO_GAMESORiGO_GAMES Joined: Posts: 12
    Greetings Shoryuken! Wow there are so many things to comment on in this forum, and we want to be able to be active and answer any questions you might have to The Chainsaw Incident team, as we love reading your feedback and even your flak!

One thing we wanted to emphasize The Chainsaw Incident is a very early project, we have only been working on it now for about 15 weeks, and the footage shown is purely to pitch to you the concept, and not meant to be taken as final product. The funding goal was set higher than most projects for our kickstarter, and we realize that we made some mistakes on the campaign, and we are fixing those up now. We aim to be as transparent as possible with this project, and we want the community involved. Shoryuken has been a huge support helping our team prepare for Kickstarter, and turn our part time passion project into a full time commitment.

Our project will be ongoing even if we only make the lowest tier, and all parts will be delivered, however times will vary depending on our budget. We didn't want to ask for something unrealistic, and give false hope. We could of easily asked for less, or sold for less, but now as you see with the new tiers, its takes ten's and thousands of people to even make the lowest tier at lower prices.

As for the engine and system, we built the initial product on an older engine internally, but we have recently been transitioning to something stronger, and trying to get networking in earlier than later as we know that is essential for you all.

We have a lot of amazing things planned with Onoguchi-san and team, but we need your support. So I ask please bring your constructive criticism's to our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thechainsawincident, and even if you hate the game, back a dollar as it all adds up.

We started out knowing this was a huge risk, but we really believe in the concept. We are making this game for you as we feel you guys deserve the best.

The team looks forward to reading your questions and replies.

29de4a5dd6d2b9e40a41172ff5ec8074_large.png?1399048878

Thanks for your time!
  • ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    edited May 2014
    Well from the pitch video I can see there are some very basic 2D fighting game mechanics that are missing. I'll wait to see actual footage of the game.
    Post edited by Zinac on
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    Looking more and more Kusoge.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
    Alexisdabomb: How does it look bad? Tell us your reasons.
    Zinac: Please lay out what you see is missing, remember this is clearly a pitch. The gameplay system is being worked on a veteran team, that has worked on almost every large franchise fighting game.
    Thanks again for any feedback.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    @Origo_games Honestly, it looks like style over substance. You guys are aiming at 20+ characters (which is a lot for an indie project) and the hud and effects are too busy and overshadow the fight. I understand that it's an alpha and you guys are trying to build interest and you've captured my interest. Now show me something. Show us gameplay. Actual real gameplay and not just two characters doing a couple of random special moves. Show us how the game is played and what makes it unique. Show us systems.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
    Zinac: Please lay out what you see is missing, remember this is clearly a pitch. The gameplay system is being worked on a veteran team, that has worked on almost every large franchise fighting game.
    I'm not Zinac but:

-Add hitstop
    -Add high/low mixups
    -Remove foreground elements that cover the characters.
    -Increase the contrast of the lifebars.
    -Fix jumps
    -REMOVE the clash mechanic.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    d3v: We definitely are doing all the above, and yes we are really aware of the life bars, artists will be artist and there will definitely be changes as we progress in development. The backgrounds are being upgraded to 3D as we speak to help also with the clarity of the fighting and make it much less cluttered. And foreground elements will be eliminated. As for the clash there is reasons behind it, but we will see as we move forward.

Alexis: We can easily say that we feel the story and brand comes first in Japan, we develop this then find a project to best suit it. This is how we began this project. The gameplay system is still being designed, and as we said we are only 15 weeks now into development part time. We are trying to get to the alpha stage. We can also just as easily say please back our project so you can better get involved with us on the alpha development and really help scope the project. We have a lot of room to go, and with Onoguchi leading the technical side we are very confident in assembling a pretty amazing team.

Monday we will be announcing 4 more characters (regardless of when they appear in the game) all the characters play a roll in the story of the project.

By beta we plan to have all the following done, but all is very dependent on the funding.

8 Characters (community voted for which order we develop)
    8 Stages
    1 Boss (2 planned)
    Basic move set (we will add clone characters in later milestones)
    Arcade mode (Classic style)
    Vs Mode
    Online: Ranked Matches+
    Card System (for in game unlocks, as well as betting for matches) We use cards to put down an ante for ranked matches. This is not a pay to win system
    Custom Stage Editor (Alpha) Some cards unlock background items, you can set your own theme and then bring it over for online matches)

Hope that answers your questions until now, as well as your suggestions.
  • OneSanitariumOneSanitarium BASARA Joined: Posts: 1,485
    Just make sure it's easy to understand everything that's going on, both to players and people watching it (at least those who understand the game somewhat.)

You should try to have a training mode too! Even a temporary basic one with just infinite health would be better than none.
  • AkiroAkiro Joined: Posts: 61
    edited May 2014

29de4a5dd6d2b9e40a41172ff5ec8074_large.png?1399048878

Thanks for your time!

I'm more willing to believe this is an actual In-game screenshot, rather than whatever we saw in the trailers. Thats cool, the game is in-development, and this looks like it has alot more room for improvement and its something I can actually get behind supporting.

The trailer on the otherhand looks terrible it seriously looks like something someone threw together in Sony Vegas or something and tried to pass it off as a "fighting game", its nothing but flashy effects and its really turning off alot of potential backers. Plus its not really helping that you're trying to market this to hardcore fighting game fans and the first thing they see is the trailer.
    Akiro, the shot there is of the original training stage! glad it appeals.

The reason the hit stops are not as apparent in the trailer, is because the system was not in place to limit the animation frames. Right now we have thousands of frames of animation. Everything takes time, and for us to really get into this we need to get the entire team full time on the project.

So it's great to hear feedback on the video, but look at the project overall and realize we have a lot of amazing things coming.

Cheers.
  • ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    I'm not Zinac but:

-Add hitstop
    -Add high/low mixups
    -Remove foreground elements that cover the characters.
    -Increase the contrast of the lifebars.
    -Fix jumps

D3v answered before I had the chance, but Ill add to this. Specifically the video seems to indicate you can't jump high even to even cross over your opponent.
    Its unfortunate that it seems like you guys almost have to go backwards and re-introduce this game to the FGC. But better late than never.

It was pretty criminal for this "gameplay footage" to be a mock up of how a game will play out. But hey what are ya gonna do
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 342
    @ORiGO_GAMES‌ why dont you ask some FGC youtubers or streamers help you PR the game (and kickstarter campain)?
  • PeacockPeacock Joined: Posts: 161
    2e9f2458e2a51da668860464ccd8aece_large.png?1399258994

• blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Looking forward to see how this plays, but the art is stupendous. I'm a big fan of horror themed/monster design. Visually this looks like it is by a major studio, if it is as impressive gameplay wise this could make a huge splash.

• MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,812
    So what exactly is the gameplay design of this game? Is it a chain or link based fighter? You go I go a la VF or frenetic like Guilty Gear? Heavy on the footsies or a big combo game? What are your basic principles that go into making this? Right now you've got some graphics, backstory, and not much else
    The gameplay planned resembles SNK fighters, not so much Guilty Gear. Its very early, but we wanted to bring something that touched on what we thought was missing the most right now in terms of gameplay. So consider it a cross between MOTW and SFIII, with our own unique twist.

A lot of people ask about the special moves and why there are more than one set. We will launch the game with the first set at beta, any additional will come when we can get it done, but the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    Well I got to the gameplay part of the video and there's still tons of horrible filters and looking at the screen hurts my eyes with all these fields of vision and shit too. So I'mma bounce on outta this one for good.
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
    nsc wrote: »
    Well I got to the gameplay part of the video and there's still tons of horrible filters and looking at the screen hurts my eyes with all these fields of vision and shit too. So I'mma bounce on outta this one for good.
    The game part has only been in development for 14 weeks, and does not represent the final gameplay. Remember back in the day Skullgirls looked like this in pre-alpha https://youtube.com/watch?v=JVE1Zj1mgzs&feature=youtu.be We open the floor to the community to get involved with us even at the development phase and turn this into a great product.
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 342
    edited May 2014
    The gameplay planned resembles SNK fighters, not so much Guilty Gear. Its very early, but we wanted to bring something that touched on what we thought was missing the most right now in terms of gameplay. So consider it a cross between MOTW and SFIII, with our own unique twist.

A lot of people ask about the special moves and why there are more than one set. We will launch the game with the first set at beta, any additional will come when we can get it done, but the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.
    Just an opinion:
    If you want a really good base for a fighting game just pick Akatsuki blitzkampf.
    Its oldschool enough to resemble any oldschool fighting games you want to resemble.
    Its very noob friendly but has rather high execution celling (im not that good, but some characters has very tight link based combos).
    *everyone has chains so newbs can do something and combo intensive characters has combos with links and tight timings.
    *Supers done just by pressing all three buttons (ABC). (Throw is AB, parry - BC, and taunt - AC)

It has parries (aka reflector shield in akbk) that "done better" than in 3S.
    It has very specific damage scaling system: 100%,75%,50%,25%,[25%]... that system is "clear" and I think helps to balance the game (all supers are multihit).
    It is simple to understand, it should be rather simple to recreate and balance. And you can add something you want because of its overall simplicity.
    Mix of MOTW and SF3? I'm out. That sounds terrible, unless you're only saying that to sound OG in which case I don't trust you. Either way, I'm out.
    Its not a mix of either John, but if you need some comparisons this is what we are going to say for now. The select system similar to SFIII IV but for special attacks. Gameplay more like MOTW but not really its the closest thing we can compare it to at this stage.
    edited May 2014
    Its not a mix of either John, but if you need some comparisons this is what we are going to say for now. The select system similar to SFIII IV but for special attacks. Gameplay more like MOTW but not really its the closest thing we can compare it to at this stage.

Well how about instead of saying "It's like _________," you instead outline what the mechanics are and how they work, because when you say "It's like _________," you make me think your game is going to have the same problems that games has because you make it sound like the template for the game.

Are there going to be short hops? Do those hops have the same awful recovery Garou hops have? What is the juggle system like? Is it all launcher specials relaunch forever like Garou? Are there parries/just defends? Does that mechanic have no recovery? Are you giving supers 1 frame startup? Is there a feint system? Are there breaks?
    The selecting movelist things sound like a bad idea in my opinion.

Is this geared towards the fighting game community or casual gamers? Again, these are important questions.

I just dont get it in that, ultimately the endgame will have people picking the best movesets from the characters. When those resources should be better used on something like, a completely brand new character.

I'm so confused. Theres so much ambition in this project. I'd love to see actual gameplay before I hear about customizable movesets.
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 641
    edited May 2014
    I like the idea of being able to select different movesets per charachter. Seems like a lot of work though. Especially with the amount of characters you guys want to make. But it's of course kind of like the 'EX' and 'Orochi' characters in King of Fighters which otherwise have completely the same normals, but have a completely different special moveset. As a result they characters feel very fresh.

More information about the mechanics and gameplay system is something, I think, all of us are interested in. Far more than how the game looks. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in terms of graphics. You guys clearly have good animators, and as soon as you guys stop faking gameplay in some movie editing software, I'm sure it'll work out. But I'm curious if I'd even want to play this game. And for that, I'll have to know what it plays like.