The Chainsaw Incident (new 2d horror fighting game)

Comments

• SkeletrollSkeletroll Banned Joined: Posts: 1,267
    the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.

So specials will be selectable? Yeah that sounds horrible.

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,598 mod
    Skeletroll wrote: »
    the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.

I understand everyone's knee jerk reaction to this, but but BUUUUT, Samurai Showdown 4 had Bust and Slash and that was cool.

I think that people are reading it as being so that you can pick individual specials and not just movesets.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    d3v wrote: »

I understand everyone's knee jerk reaction to this, but but BUUUUT, Samurai Showdown 4 had Bust and Slash and that was cool.

I think that people are reading it as being so that you can pick individual specials and not just movesets.

That's exactly how I'm reading it because that's how he wrote it.

And yes I agree, I loved Bust/Slash mode in SS, and EX versions of characters in KOF/FF, but the move sets were in place already for both of these modes, I don't like the idea of possible staple special moves being optional to how a character plays. Sounds kinda ok at best on paper, but most likely will be detrimental to the game in the end.

IMO, just keep supers selectable, and possibly make a few evil/EX versions of already fleshed out realized characters, or make selectable specials a separate "fuck around mode" altogether down the road AFTER you build a solid foundation for your engine and characters.

That's exactly how I'm reading it because that's how he wrote it.

And yes I agree, I loved Bust/Slash mode in SS, and EX versions of characters in KOF/FF, but the move sets were in place already for both of these modes, I don't like the idea of possible staple special moves being optional to how a character plays. Sounds kinda ok at best on paper, but most likely will be detrimental to the game in the end.

IMO, just keep supers selectable, and possibly make a few evil/EX versions of already fleshed out realized characters, or make selectable specials a separate "fuck around mode" altogether down the road AFTER you build a solid foundation for your engine and characters.
    Or just do the whole Slash/Bust thing, and maybe a "custom" setting for casual play. But none of that for tournaments. Not only is it going to ruin balance, but matches are gonna take even longer if folks have to build a moveset before every match.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    edited May 2014
    I think he meant set of special moves. From the website...

"Each character will have a basic super attack and the ability to and if we reach our milestones, there will be up to 3 movesets to select from."

So it will be like EX KOF characters or bust/slash in SS. Which is really kickass IMO, adds a lot more variety without the tons of work it takes to add even more characters.

Also I think you guys are being really harsh, give them the benefit of the doubt rather than jumping to conclusions that everything is dumb or whatever. It isn't easy to create a fighting game, and I applaud the ambition here. Soundtrack sneak peeks sounded awesome.

• phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,557
    yeah, selectable movesets really is fine for a F2P engine, and just think of it as clone characters *shrug* it helps by not needing as much work on the development of new chars
    youtube sfv
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 563
    I just want to add that Chaos Code allowed to select 2 additional moves between 2 supers and 2 specials
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    edited May 2014
    Arcana Heart system also had the god card format where you could manipulate your move set a bit for your character. So I have some faith it can be pulled off well given past experiences.

I also like that someone on the team took the time to create an account here to talk with us, take the flak in good stride and show some good will considering the other debacle going on with Death Cargo.

You still have my interest as I like Horror films and fighters and want to play another good one that isn't Darkstalkers lol. Just as long as you listen to the fanbase and make some good changes.

@Dev: Totally off-topic but how you been mang? I haven't seen you in ages.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
    edited May 2014
    What bothers me the most is the possibility that the best movesets/options will be locked behind a paywall, leading to a pay-to-win kind of scenario.
    AYO?! wrote: »
    I also like that someone on the team took the time to create an account here to talk with us, take the flak in good stride and show some good will considering the other debacle going on with Death Cargo.
    That should be a straight up example of how now to talk to your fanbase.
    AYO?! wrote: »
    @Dev: Totally off-topic but how you been mang? I haven't seen you in ages.
    I dunno, I haven't seen Dev in ages too. That said, when he does come back, he'll probably be wondering at all the notifications that aren't really for him.

As for me, I'm fine.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,034
    Why mention Samurai Showdow when Samurai Showdown had a foundation that they built upon? This is a bran new game, so its not clicking the same way.

I can appreciate a Soul Calibur 6 that allows me to pick SC2 Ivy or SC4 Ivy, but not a bran new game where each character has multiple..

Actually. I'll just wait for some gameplay. We need something you guys. A 2 character demo on a training room stage or something..
    I dunno, I haven't seen Dev in ages too. That said, when he does come back, he'll probably be wondering at all the notifications that aren't really for him.

As for me, I'm fine.

Lol, I think I've always called you Dev. d3v. When doing the alert I saw like six other people with that handle. They trying to copy you son.
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 690
    So glad I'm not using my devlkore handle on here any more.

Anyway, what difference does it matter if SamSho had single mode characters before going to Bust and Slash or if it's a new game that has variations on characters from the get go? Last Blade and Phantom Breaker Extra did slightly similar things and they are both awesome.

I have no specific reason to think this game will be good or bad, I just don't like it when everyone gets caught up on everything that is different being bad automatically, especially when it's this early in development. We should give these guys a chance.

Also, internet cookie for @AYO?!‌ for mentioning Arcana Heart when I forgot to. The Arcana system is awesome, it augments the base character with a few extra specials/supers, modified attack/defense ratings and various unique properties (run style dash, triple jump, etc.).
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.
  • ORiGO_GAMESORiGO_GAMES Joined: Posts: 12

This pretty much sums it up.

Guys we all know you want a playable build and it will come in due time, I think people are still hung up on the fact that they think they have to pay to unlock movesets. This has been outlined that its not the case. If you don't want to select or change your attacks you can go with the default set that launches with the beta, (will be updated through feedback through launch) The new clone sets will come out as the finances are available.

Back to the notes on gameplay system the team in Japan is putting something together. I will know more later.

Thanks again for the feedback.

If you don't want to select or change your attacks you can go with the default set that launches with the beta...

We're not worried about "not wanting to change". We're worried about being forced to have to change to be able to play the game at a competitive level. I mean, we're competitive players, this is what we do. If x move paired with y move and z move is the best combination, why not just make it the default one.

Now combine that with tournament logistics where you're trying to save as much time possible to avoid going overtime. A situation where everyone is going for custom move selection (even if just to pick the exact same loadouts) doesn't help. And please don't say anything about saving movesets to player profiles since ideally, the tournament environment is OFFLINE, no connection required, player brings nothing but their stick/pad.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 640
    Honestly though, if selecting special movesets is as simple as selecting Ultra's in SF4, it should hardly delay the game. If it is like selecting gems in SFxT, there obviously needs to be a solution, or it needs to be canned.
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    Honestly though, if selecting special movesets is as simple as selecting Ultra's in SF4, it should hardly delay the game. If it is like selecting gems in SFxT, there obviously needs to be a solution, or it needs to be canned.
    The latter is what I'm hoping it doesn't become.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    Something like the SFIV Ultra menu could work. Pick the character, then a window pops up to pick your first of (Presumably) three moves in this category. Then do it two more times. It'd be quick and simple.

Gem system style I am with d3v, that thing is rather annoying to deal with and not something I would be fond of.
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 331
    edited May 2014
    And please don't say anything about saving movesets to player profiles since ideally, the tournament environment is OFFLINE, no connection required, player brings nothing but their stick/pad.

Many games has easy character customisatin while character select.
    Selection of your super in Sf4 or SF3 didn't killed anyone (as it was mentioned before).
    And miltiple choices in games like Chaos Code or Kof98UM (afaik; I didnt played it) wasnt game-halting too.
    And lets don't forget MvC or Skullgirls (you need to select 3 characters and their assist moves). I think if its done right, it can be done.

And please don't say anything about saving movesets to player profiles since ideally, the tournament environment is OFFLINE, no connection required, player brings nothing but their stick/pad.

Many games has easy character customisatin while character select.
    Selection of your super in Sf4 or SF3 didn't killed anyone (as it was mentioned before).
    And miltiple choices in games like Chaos Code or Kof98UM (afaik; I didnt played it) wasnt game-halting too.
    And lets don't forget MvC or Skullgirls (you need to select 3 characters and their assist moves). I think if its done right, it can be done.
    But those aren't exactly entire movesets now are they.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 690
    We really should wait to see how this pans out. Sounds like they are listening, even if what has been shown seems a little misguided when it comes to "da hardcoriest" (myself included). I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

The main things for them to consider are, as d3v mentioned, if it ends up being a hot mess of menus with everyone eventually settling on one set of moves, then it's a waste of time for tournaments and even worse, the coders/animators. I think they said none of it would be pay to win, but let me just say, if it IS in any way pay for movesets, the game will fail (at least with hardcore FG players).

What I'm hoping (since I like the art style and would like to see this game actually be good) is that the movesets are either predefined a la Bust & Slash, ISMs or something similar or they have very little in the way of customisation, almost like manually assigning gems (don't cry yet...) in Pocket Fighter before the match starts (do you want to buff your DP or your tatsu to max, or balance the damage on all your moves, etc.).

As for paid content, ideally all gameplay will always all be free, that is to say, characters and their moves. Sell the shit out of extra palettes, hit effects, stages, new announcers, whatever. People will buy that stuff. I haven't bought much DLC in my life, but I did buy some palettes and an announcer for BB because I loved the game, got it for cheap and wanted to support the devs. Going by my time playing SF4 it seems people will pay for that shit no end.

If you are going to sell characters, tread carefully. See if you can offer a lifetime bundle that will get you all the characters forever for one initial payment.
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.
    The process will be painless and fast.
  • DangerOnTheRangerDangerOnTheRanger based TvC god Joined: Posts: 291
    The process will be painless and fast.

I don't think anyone's hoping this will not be the case - what people are wondering is, just what exactly is the process?
    I am the salt of the earth.
    Rage is my body and salt is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand excuses.
    Unknown to winning, nor known to humility,
    Have withstood bans to write many forum rants.
    Yet, those hands will never hold that L.

So as I play,
    UNLIMITED SALT WORKS
  • Monkey66Monkey66 Joined: Posts: 1,345
    All characters
    Monkey66 wrote: »
    All characters
    Isn't this the same video with the same crappy, pre-alpha gameplay that was posted in GameTrailers?

In any case, this game doesn't need any more videos showing off characters and art. What we need is proof that the gameplay is being improved based on the observations of core fighting game players.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    I'm sure theres an explanation as to why half the cast fights with chainsaws?
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 331
    edited May 2014
    Its like asking why characters from Street Fighter are fighting on streets or why characters from KoF fight in the tounament to become King(s) of fighters or why half characters in Goketsuji series are from Goketsuji (family) clan or why hamlf characters from guilty gear are "Gears" (or connected with them)...
    Its like asking why characters from Street Fighter are fighting on streets or why characters from KoF fight in the tounament to become King(s) of fighters or why half characters in Goketsuji series are from Goketsuji (family) clan or why hamlf characters from guilty gear are "Gears" (or connected with them)...
    The same way every character in Tekken fights with their fists. Or everyone in Last Blade, Samurai Showdown and Bushido Blade has a sword. Or how all the characters in Bloody Roar are carnivores.

Actually, since you wanted to be a smarty pants, what I was alluding to was that so many characters with similar weapons on top of having multiple movesets sounds like a lot of overlapping fighting styles.

But ok. Continue.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,291
    Dear god. It's Clayfighter all over again.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

• SlamtasticSlamtastic Joined: Posts: 574
    edited May 2014
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/origo/the-chainsaw-incident-a-dark-fantasy-fighting-game/posts/845464
    Our system has many features, some will stay some may go. But here is the rough translation of things to come.

In no particular order

• Blow Away Attacks

• Buffering

• Clash\Overheat (using the gas button without clutch causes a stall out)

• Free Canceling and Advanced Canceling

• Block stop

• Block Strings

• Charge Moves (performed by holding the Gas)

• Chip Damage (enhanced when holding Gas)

• Block Cancel

• Command Moves

• Command Grab

• Counter Hit

• Super attacks

• Critical Attacks

• Extermination ( aka destroy\Fatality, can only be done in final round)

• Dash

• Crouching Dash

• Frame Traps

• Juggles

• Bounding

• Ground Roll

• Roll Break (advanced attack to trap ground roll)

Pretzel Motions

• Pursuit Attack

• Punish

• Quick Recover

• Destructible Stages

• SUMO: (This special attack is used when an opponent has you in the corner, and is using the same combo repeatedly, you can initialize and auto destroy that will send them out of the ring.)

• Short Jumps

• Summons

• Super Canceling

More coming soon, also we are taking input and requests.

With so many mechanics, how can the game not be great?
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,303
    The fact that they felt the need to list basic bare minimum stuff that most people wouldn't even question because they are expected leaves me more than slightly worried. Also, advertising pretzel motions is baffling. Does every character have Raging Storm? For what purpose?

Also listing names of mechanics without descriptions of how they work is pointless.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    In no particular order

O? Seems pretty alphabetical to me.
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    edited May 2014
    Somehow I don't think the Devs will be re-visiting this thread.

With all the features it just sounds like a cluster fuck and I doubt it's going to be an actual good fighting game.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
    We still do visit the forms, but invite you also to join us on Facebook and post feedback. If you backed the game and want to get involved we have assembled a backer board of hardcore players to be brutal and be heard. In fact we will be pulling the kickstarter this week to regroup and implement a lot of the feedback we are getting and relaunch after E3. We realize we can't please everyone, but we do listen, and we are open for constructive criticism, and advice. This game has always been about getting the FGC involved, and you are doing so.

You guys who support us please join us on FB, and if you want your free swag we will be giving some out for the backers who joined us on the KS up until this point.
    be34c58a56a7682df36db52acc7ba054_large.png?1400112129 We also are showing really early proof of concepts of the engine and begining to form a final look and feel for the game. The system as posted above as noted is a work in process, we have the ability to do a lot more or a lot less, a lot depends on testing and balancing.
    edited May 2014
    Well duh!

And lol @ gas/clutch/stall out

You need to use the gas button for charge moves but you can "stall out" by pressing the button by accident if you have no gas? Theres WAAAAAAAY too much going on here, so much lip service and not even a piece of tech gameplay. I wish you guys the best but this development process is ass backwards. None of the other indie fighters on this forum have given so much information without providing at least some meat behind it.

You guy have already revealed the entire roster but gameplay is coming soon...

Yup. Sounds doomed.
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 640
    In fact we will be pulling the kickstarter this week to regroup and implement a lot of the feedback we are getting and relaunch after E3.

Probably a good idea. As much as it pains me to say that. This game has potential, the animations look really cool, the style is interesting. And even from just this really long list of features with no explanation, it seems that there will be a lot of interesting ideas and combinations of concepts we already know.

That being said, I think a lot of the momentum for your game was lost in the period ramping up to this kickstarter. You only started engaging with the people on this forum (and this is an important forum, when it comes to getting fighting games financed) right around when the kickstarter was put up.

As you read back, you can see there was already a lot of confusion and question. Everybody saw a lot of ambition, but so much ambition that people were becoming increasingly sure that you guys were in over your head. The animation fidelity AND the amount of characters you are aiming for is a lot. And then there's the problem that everybody is curious what the game plays like, and even when the kickstarter started, you guys did not succeed at giving any serious insight into this.

And yeah, like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, a game can look fucking gorgeous, but still be absolutely retarded to play.

That's my insight on why the Kickstarter isn't going that groovy, I hope it helps. I hope by the time you guys relaunch I'll be in a financially better position, so I can back. While I feel that the project is perhaps overambitious, I'd certainly like to see you try and prove me wrong.

We still do visit the forms, but invite you also to join us on Facebook and post feedback.
    Screw this whole Facebook shizz. You guys need to do what Mike Z did (and continues to do) for Skullgirls ad engage the community in their native forums.

This. Additionally, it could just be me, but stop asking people to back you before you prove yourself worthy of being backed. I get you want the funding and all, but one of the first posts you made here was asking people to back the game even if they didn't like it. That's a ridiculous request. Show us something good and we'll throw money down without you needing to ask anyone.
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,557
    who is doing the testing/balancing? :o
    youtube sfv
    Any updates?
    I thought about this game the other day. I'm sure they hit a road block when they got feedback from the FGC and not the made up FGC they apparently consulted while making this game.

The CGI mock-up of a match is really what killed them. And motion blur lol. Then hilarity really ensued as they did "character reveals" for a game with no gameplay footage as if it was some weird joke they didnt realize they were the actual pun in.
    8YI91FE.jpg

They seem to still be active but I don't know who they're consulting and about what and how much they're listening.
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 730
    They need at least a trailer with actual gameplay to generate some interest, the first reveal trailer looked like a mess.

so. . .what happened?
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 730
    so. . .what happened?

It's dead, crowdfunding was a failure

• Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,031
    And another one bites the dust.
    *pours a 40*
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN