The Chainsaw Incident (new 2d horror fighting game)

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,733 mod
    Alexisdabomb: How does it look bad? Tell us your reasons.
    Zinac: Please lay out what you see is missing, remember this is clearly a pitch. The gameplay system is being worked on a veteran team, that has worked on almost every large franchise fighting game.
    Thanks again for any feedback.
    I'm not Zinac but:

-Add hitstop
    -Add high/low mixups
    -Remove foreground elements that cover the characters.
    -Increase the contrast of the lifebars.
    -Fix jumps
    -REMOVE the clash mechanic.
  • ORiGO_GAMESORiGO_GAMES Joined: Posts: 12
    d3v: We definitely are doing all the above, and yes we are really aware of the life bars, artists will be artist and there will definitely be changes as we progress in development. The backgrounds are being upgraded to 3D as we speak to help also with the clarity of the fighting and make it much less cluttered. And foreground elements will be eliminated. As for the clash there is reasons behind it, but we will see as we move forward.

Alexis: We can easily say that we feel the story and brand comes first in Japan, we develop this then find a project to best suit it. This is how we began this project. The gameplay system is still being designed, and as we said we are only 15 weeks now into development part time. We are trying to get to the alpha stage. We can also just as easily say please back our project so you can better get involved with us on the alpha development and really help scope the project. We have a lot of room to go, and with Onoguchi leading the technical side we are very confident in assembling a pretty amazing team.

Monday we will be announcing 4 more characters (regardless of when they appear in the game) all the characters play a roll in the story of the project.

By beta we plan to have all the following done, but all is very dependent on the funding.

8 Characters (community voted for which order we develop)
    8 Stages
    1 Boss (2 planned)
    Basic move set (we will add clone characters in later milestones)
    Arcade mode (Classic style)
    Vs Mode
    Online: Ranked Matches+
    Card System (for in game unlocks, as well as betting for matches) We use cards to put down an ante for ranked matches. This is not a pay to win system
    Custom Stage Editor (Alpha) Some cards unlock background items, you can set your own theme and then bring it over for online matches)

Hope that answers your questions until now, as well as your suggestions.
  • OneSanitariumOneSanitarium BASARA Joined: Posts: 1,485
    Just make sure it's easy to understand everything that's going on, both to players and people watching it (at least those who understand the game somewhat.)

You should try to have a training mode too! Even a temporary basic one with just infinite health would be better than none.
  • AkiroAkiro Joined: Posts: 65
    edited May 2014

29de4a5dd6d2b9e40a41172ff5ec8074_large.png?1399048878

Thanks for your time!

I'm more willing to believe this is an actual In-game screenshot, rather than whatever we saw in the trailers. Thats cool, the game is in-development, and this looks like it has alot more room for improvement and its something I can actually get behind supporting.

The trailer on the otherhand looks terrible it seriously looks like something someone threw together in Sony Vegas or something and tried to pass it off as a "fighting game", its nothing but flashy effects and its really turning off alot of potential backers. Plus its not really helping that you're trying to market this to hardcore fighting game fans and the first thing they see is the trailer.
    Akiro, the shot there is of the original training stage! glad it appeals.

The reason the hit stops are not as apparent in the trailer, is because the system was not in place to limit the animation frames. Right now we have thousands of frames of animation. Everything takes time, and for us to really get into this we need to get the entire team full time on the project.

So it's great to hear feedback on the video, but look at the project overall and realize we have a lot of amazing things coming.

Cheers.
  • ZinacZinac Ocha shinai? Joined: Posts: 810
    d3v wrote: »
    Alexisdabomb: How does it look bad? Tell us your reasons.
    Zinac: Please lay out what you see is missing, remember this is clearly a pitch. The gameplay system is being worked on a veteran team, that has worked on almost every large franchise fighting game.
    Thanks again for any feedback.
    I'm not Zinac but:

-Add hitstop
    -Add high/low mixups
    -Remove foreground elements that cover the characters.
    -Increase the contrast of the lifebars.
    -Fix jumps

D3v answered before I had the chance, but Ill add to this. Specifically the video seems to indicate you can't jump high even to even cross over your opponent.
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,081
    Its unfortunate that it seems like you guys almost have to go backwards and re-introduce this game to the FGC. But better late than never.

It was pretty criminal for this "gameplay footage" to be a mock up of how a game will play out. But hey what are ya gonna do
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 346
    @ORiGO_GAMES‌ why dont you ask some FGC youtubers or streamers help you PR the game (and kickstarter campain)?
  • PeacockPeacock Joined: Posts: 161
    2e9f2458e2a51da668860464ccd8aece_large.png?1399258994

• blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Looking forward to see how this plays, but the art is stupendous. I'm a big fan of horror themed/monster design. Visually this looks like it is by a major studio, if it is as impressive gameplay wise this could make a huge splash.

• MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,856
    So what exactly is the gameplay design of this game? Is it a chain or link based fighter? You go I go a la VF or frenetic like Guilty Gear? Heavy on the footsies or a big combo game? What are your basic principles that go into making this? Right now you've got some graphics, backstory, and not much else
    The gameplay planned resembles SNK fighters, not so much Guilty Gear. Its very early, but we wanted to bring something that touched on what we thought was missing the most right now in terms of gameplay. So consider it a cross between MOTW and SFIII, with our own unique twist.

A lot of people ask about the special moves and why there are more than one set. We will launch the game with the first set at beta, any additional will come when we can get it done, but the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    Well I got to the gameplay part of the video and there's still tons of horrible filters and looking at the screen hurts my eyes with all these fields of vision and shit too. So I'mma bounce on outta this one for good.
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
    nsc wrote: »
    Well I got to the gameplay part of the video and there's still tons of horrible filters and looking at the screen hurts my eyes with all these fields of vision and shit too. So I'mma bounce on outta this one for good.
    The game part has only been in development for 14 weeks, and does not represent the final gameplay. Remember back in the day Skullgirls looked like this in pre-alpha https://youtube.com/watch?v=JVE1Zj1mgzs&feature=youtu.be We open the floor to the community to get involved with us even at the development phase and turn this into a great product.
    edited May 2014
    The gameplay planned resembles SNK fighters, not so much Guilty Gear. Its very early, but we wanted to bring something that touched on what we thought was missing the most right now in terms of gameplay. So consider it a cross between MOTW and SFIII, with our own unique twist.

A lot of people ask about the special moves and why there are more than one set. We will launch the game with the first set at beta, any additional will come when we can get it done, but the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.
    Just an opinion:
    If you want a really good base for a fighting game just pick Akatsuki blitzkampf.
    Its oldschool enough to resemble any oldschool fighting games you want to resemble.
    Its very noob friendly but has rather high execution celling (im not that good, but some characters has very tight link based combos).
    *everyone has chains so newbs can do something and combo intensive characters has combos with links and tight timings.
    *Supers done just by pressing all three buttons (ABC). (Throw is AB, parry - BC, and taunt - AC)

It has parries (aka reflector shield in akbk) that "done better" than in 3S.
    It has very specific damage scaling system: 100%,75%,50%,25%,[25%]... that system is "clear" and I think helps to balance the game (all supers are multihit).
    It is simple to understand, it should be rather simple to recreate and balance. And you can add something you want because of its overall simplicity.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    Mix of MOTW and SF3? I'm out. That sounds terrible, unless you're only saying that to sound OG in which case I don't trust you. Either way, I'm out.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    Its not a mix of either John, but if you need some comparisons this is what we are going to say for now. The select system similar to SFIII IV but for special attacks. Gameplay more like MOTW but not really its the closest thing we can compare it to at this stage.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    edited May 2014
    Its not a mix of either John, but if you need some comparisons this is what we are going to say for now. The select system similar to SFIII IV but for special attacks. Gameplay more like MOTW but not really its the closest thing we can compare it to at this stage.

Well how about instead of saying "It's like _________," you instead outline what the mechanics are and how they work, because when you say "It's like _________," you make me think your game is going to have the same problems that games has because you make it sound like the template for the game.

Are there going to be short hops? Do those hops have the same awful recovery Garou hops have? What is the juggle system like? Is it all launcher specials relaunch forever like Garou? Are there parries/just defends? Does that mechanic have no recovery? Are you giving supers 1 frame startup? Is there a feint system? Are there breaks?
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    The selecting movelist things sound like a bad idea in my opinion.

Is this geared towards the fighting game community or casual gamers? Again, these are important questions.

I just dont get it in that, ultimately the endgame will have people picking the best movesets from the characters. When those resources should be better used on something like, a completely brand new character.

I'm so confused. Theres so much ambition in this project. I'd love to see actual gameplay before I hear about customizable movesets.
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 642
    edited May 2014
    I like the idea of being able to select different movesets per charachter. Seems like a lot of work though. Especially with the amount of characters you guys want to make. But it's of course kind of like the 'EX' and 'Orochi' characters in King of Fighters which otherwise have completely the same normals, but have a completely different special moveset. As a result they characters feel very fresh.

More information about the mechanics and gameplay system is something, I think, all of us are interested in. Far more than how the game looks. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in terms of graphics. You guys clearly have good animators, and as soon as you guys stop faking gameplay in some movie editing software, I'm sure it'll work out. But I'm curious if I'd even want to play this game. And for that, I'll have to know what it plays like.
  • SkeletrollSkeletroll Banned Joined: Posts: 1,267
    the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.

So specials will be selectable? Yeah that sounds horrible.

Skeletroll wrote: »
    the end goal is to allow you to select a set of moves instead of super moves like on SFIII.

I understand everyone's knee jerk reaction to this, but but BUUUUT, Samurai Showdown 4 had Bust and Slash and that was cool.

I think that people are reading it as being so that you can pick individual specials and not just movesets.
  • SkeletrollSkeletroll Banned Joined: Posts: 1,267

I understand everyone's knee jerk reaction to this, but but BUUUUT, Samurai Showdown 4 had Bust and Slash and that was cool.

I think that people are reading it as being so that you can pick individual specials and not just movesets.

That's exactly how I'm reading it because that's how he wrote it.

And yes I agree, I loved Bust/Slash mode in SS, and EX versions of characters in KOF/FF, but the move sets were in place already for both of these modes, I don't like the idea of possible staple special moves being optional to how a character plays. Sounds kinda ok at best on paper, but most likely will be detrimental to the game in the end.

IMO, just keep supers selectable, and possibly make a few evil/EX versions of already fleshed out realized characters, or make selectable specials a separate "fuck around mode" altogether down the road AFTER you build a solid foundation for your engine and characters.

That's exactly how I'm reading it because that's how he wrote it.

And yes I agree, I loved Bust/Slash mode in SS, and EX versions of characters in KOF/FF, but the move sets were in place already for both of these modes, I don't like the idea of possible staple special moves being optional to how a character plays. Sounds kinda ok at best on paper, but most likely will be detrimental to the game in the end.

IMO, just keep supers selectable, and possibly make a few evil/EX versions of already fleshed out realized characters, or make selectable specials a separate "fuck around mode" altogether down the road AFTER you build a solid foundation for your engine and characters.
    Or just do the whole Slash/Bust thing, and maybe a "custom" setting for casual play. But none of that for tournaments. Not only is it going to ruin balance, but matches are gonna take even longer if folks have to build a moveset before every match.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    edited May 2014
    I think he meant set of special moves. From the website...

"Each character will have a basic super attack and the ability to and if we reach our milestones, there will be up to 3 movesets to select from."

So it will be like EX KOF characters or bust/slash in SS. Which is really kickass IMO, adds a lot more variety without the tons of work it takes to add even more characters.

Also I think you guys are being really harsh, give them the benefit of the doubt rather than jumping to conclusions that everything is dumb or whatever. It isn't easy to create a fighting game, and I applaud the ambition here. Soundtrack sneak peeks sounded awesome.

• phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    yeah, selectable movesets really is fine for a F2P engine, and just think of it as clone characters *shrug* it helps by not needing as much work on the development of new chars
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 594
    I just want to add that Chaos Code allowed to select 2 additional moves between 2 supers and 2 specials
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    edited May 2014
    Arcana Heart system also had the god card format where you could manipulate your move set a bit for your character. So I have some faith it can be pulled off well given past experiences.

I also like that someone on the team took the time to create an account here to talk with us, take the flak in good stride and show some good will considering the other debacle going on with Death Cargo.

You still have my interest as I like Horror films and fighters and want to play another good one that isn't Darkstalkers lol. Just as long as you listen to the fanbase and make some good changes.

@Dev: Totally off-topic but how you been mang? I haven't seen you in ages.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
    edited May 2014
    What bothers me the most is the possibility that the best movesets/options will be locked behind a paywall, leading to a pay-to-win kind of scenario.
    AYO?! wrote: »
    I also like that someone on the team took the time to create an account here to talk with us, take the flak in good stride and show some good will considering the other debacle going on with Death Cargo.
    That should be a straight up example of how now to talk to your fanbase.
    AYO?! wrote: »
    @Dev: Totally off-topic but how you been mang? I haven't seen you in ages.
    I dunno, I haven't seen Dev in ages too. That said, when he does come back, he'll probably be wondering at all the notifications that aren't really for him.

As for me, I'm fine.
    Why mention Samurai Showdow when Samurai Showdown had a foundation that they built upon? This is a bran new game, so its not clicking the same way.

I can appreciate a Soul Calibur 6 that allows me to pick SC2 Ivy or SC4 Ivy, but not a bran new game where each character has multiple..

Actually. I'll just wait for some gameplay. We need something you guys. A 2 character demo on a training room stage or something..
    I dunno, I haven't seen Dev in ages too. That said, when he does come back, he'll probably be wondering at all the notifications that aren't really for him.

As for me, I'm fine.

Lol, I think I've always called you Dev. d3v. When doing the alert I saw like six other people with that handle. They trying to copy you son.
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 690
    So glad I'm not using my devlkore handle on here any more.

Anyway, what difference does it matter if SamSho had single mode characters before going to Bust and Slash or if it's a new game that has variations on characters from the get go? Last Blade and Phantom Breaker Extra did slightly similar things and they are both awesome.

I have no specific reason to think this game will be good or bad, I just don't like it when everyone gets caught up on everything that is different being bad automatically, especially when it's this early in development. We should give these guys a chance.

Also, internet cookie for @AYO?!‌ for mentioning Arcana Heart when I forgot to. The Arcana system is awesome, it augments the base character with a few extra specials/supers, modified attack/defense ratings and various unique properties (run style dash, triple jump, etc.).
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.

This pretty much sums it up.

Guys we all know you want a playable build and it will come in due time, I think people are still hung up on the fact that they think they have to pay to unlock movesets. This has been outlined that its not the case. If you don't want to select or change your attacks you can go with the default set that launches with the beta, (will be updated through feedback through launch) The new clone sets will come out as the finances are available.

Back to the notes on gameplay system the team in Japan is putting something together. I will know more later.

Thanks again for the feedback.

If you don't want to select or change your attacks you can go with the default set that launches with the beta...

We're not worried about "not wanting to change". We're worried about being forced to have to change to be able to play the game at a competitive level. I mean, we're competitive players, this is what we do. If x move paired with y move and z move is the best combination, why not just make it the default one.

Now combine that with tournament logistics where you're trying to save as much time possible to avoid going overtime. A situation where everyone is going for custom move selection (even if just to pick the exact same loadouts) doesn't help. And please don't say anything about saving movesets to player profiles since ideally, the tournament environment is OFFLINE, no connection required, player brings nothing but their stick/pad.
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 642
    Honestly though, if selecting special movesets is as simple as selecting Ultra's in SF4, it should hardly delay the game. If it is like selecting gems in SFxT, there obviously needs to be a solution, or it needs to be canned.
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    Honestly though, if selecting special movesets is as simple as selecting Ultra's in SF4, it should hardly delay the game. If it is like selecting gems in SFxT, there obviously needs to be a solution, or it needs to be canned.
    The latter is what I'm hoping it doesn't become.
    Something like the SFIV Ultra menu could work. Pick the character, then a window pops up to pick your first of (Presumably) three moves in this category. Then do it two more times. It'd be quick and simple.

Gem system style I am with d3v, that thing is rather annoying to deal with and not something I would be fond of.
    edited May 2014
    And please don't say anything about saving movesets to player profiles since ideally, the tournament environment is OFFLINE, no connection required, player brings nothing but their stick/pad.

Many games has easy character customisatin while character select.
    Selection of your super in Sf4 or SF3 didn't killed anyone (as it was mentioned before).
    And miltiple choices in games like Chaos Code or Kof98UM (afaik; I didnt played it) wasnt game-halting too.
    And lets don't forget MvC or Skullgirls (you need to select 3 characters and their assist moves). I think if its done right, it can be done.

And please don't say anything about saving movesets to player profiles since ideally, the tournament environment is OFFLINE, no connection required, player brings nothing but their stick/pad.

Many games has easy character customisatin while character select.
    Selection of your super in Sf4 or SF3 didn't killed anyone (as it was mentioned before).
    And miltiple choices in games like Chaos Code or Kof98UM (afaik; I didnt played it) wasnt game-halting too.
    And lets don't forget MvC or Skullgirls (you need to select 3 characters and their assist moves). I think if its done right, it can be done.
    But those aren't exactly entire movesets now are they.