Are You Okay? SRK Mental Health Thread

SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron CurtainJoined: Posts: 29,170
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
I got diagnosed with adult ADHD. What now? Anybody else dealing with this?
Post edited by SoVi3t on
Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine

Comments

• BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,179
    I do. Are you going to take medication?
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    Bious wrote: »
    I do. Are you going to take medication?

Yeah just got a prescription for Biphentin.

Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,693
    edited February 2014
    I have no idea why the cause is lol. Just know that I am a sketchbag and wouldn't mind fixing that.

Literally just got the scrip so no idea what it costs yet

• tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,692
    What does this mean? What exactly can't you do if you have adult ADHD?
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,757
    I have it since i was a kid :/
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Yeah this isn't something that my diet will fix. It's to do with how my brain functions, and I inherited it through genes. Others in my family have had it and dealt with it via meds.

Eating pasta isn't why I can't sit still or shut the fuck up at times. My sister is a psychologist and was the one who demanded I go get medicated.

I had it as a kid but didn't ever get medicated.

Hecatom wrote: »
    I have it since i was a kid :/

What are your symptoms and how do u deal with it? I medicated, how has it helped, and what about side effects?

• Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,598
    My mind gets really sharp and focused when I lift heavy weights. Try this.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    My mind gets really sharp and focused when I lift heavy weights. Try this.

I worked out all the time when I was younger and didn't smoke. It didn't help.

ADHD isn't something you can just avoid by trying to avoid it. I literally can't just sit there and do nothing. In conversations, I am an absolute pain in the fucking ass. Not to mention I hate even listening to anybody else talk.

• derukunderukun filthy fucking casual Joined: Posts: 454
    As in benching 315 right? xD.

I have a lot of symptoms similar to what Hecatom described, and have thought at certain points of my life that I may have ADHD but I've never got actually checked up on it.

I lose focus on anything that I'm not OCD about (Piano and SF are what I'm OCD about) and generally can't be bothered to converse with people in real life because I'm always correcting them or insulting them when they complain about different aspects of life.

I also can't focus in school because nothing interests me other than music and history, and take anywhere from a half hour to two hours at night to fall asleep.

Whether or not these are actual symptoms of ADHD I don't know *shrug* ...
    SFV Fighter ID - blackolives
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,693
    weed > pills

that's my professional medical opinion*

*not a medical professional

oddly enough, weed cures me right the fuck up, and it's why I am an advocate. But at work and on dates, it's kinda frowned upon.

thought you might find this interesting, Furious One

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,449 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    SoVi3t wrote: »
    Yeah this isn't something that my diet will fix. It's to do with how my brain functions, and I inherited it through genes. Others in my family have had it and dealt with it via meds.

Eating pasta isn't why I can't sit still or shut the fuck up at times. My sister is a psychologist and was the one who demanded I go get medicated.

Damn...that sounds like one of my little cousins. This 10 year old will not sit down EVER when his mom drops him off at my uncle's place (where I stay when I go to Quincy). If he isn't playing a ps3 game with me while standing and hopping all over the place repeating random rap choruses, he's constantly wandering from the same 3 rooms. For 6 HOURS. He's everywhere: he's in your suitcase, pulling stuff out and randomly asking if he can keep something he found in there, he's opening closet doors and pulling out clothes like Christmas is right around the corner and he suspects there are gifts. If you haven't seen him for like 3 minutes, WORRY. He's doing something. I went to the den in the back and found he'd stacked an old vcr, a dvd player, the comcast cable receiver, a toolbox, and was about to put one of my 17-year-old cousin's soccer trophies on top of this lopsided, Jenga-ass tower. This same kid earlier last year opened up said cousin's $350 laptop, turned it on, set it on the floor, then jumped from a recliner onto the screen, trying to "go into The Matrix". When he speaks, he often has to gasp a breath because he just keeps talking (babbling, really) and seems to forget to breathe. I joke around and tell him "Dude, take your meds"...but his ass might really NEED some...
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • sethian0sethian0 B PoSiTiVe - B KiND Joined: Posts: 1,079
    I think I have ADHD or OCD or something. I feel compelled to do things such as make things even or have overwhelming thought about something. Meth fixed it for a while, and I realized that didn't do much else for me..... The best thing I realized is that things you do or think or dwell on don't really matter and to just ignore it.

The more you do it the easier it becomes. You basically just have to train your brain to let go and get over things out of your control.

Hope that helps.
    sethian0 wrote: »
    I think I have ADHD or OCD or something. I feel compelled to do things such as make things even or have overwhelming thought about something. Meth fixed it for a while, and I realized that didn't do much else for me..... The best thing I realized is that things you do or think or dwell on don't really matter and to just ignore it.

The more you do it the easier it becomes. You basically just have to train your brain to let go and get over things out of your control.

Hope that helps.

when I went to get checked out for this, I had myself checked for OCD as well. A lot of these terms get tossed around as buzzwords, and get thrown on kids who's only actual problem is being pummeled by sugar in their diets. OCD people are much more serious. If you have to wash yourself like 40 times a day or you will DIE, you have OCD. OCD is hardcore serious, and you will definitely know you have it, or those around you will.

ADHD basically you have too much energy. You can't pay attention to things, you interrupt during conversations (and if you have something to say but can't, you can literally feel it), you get nervous tic's, mood swing's, trouble sleeping, and not being able to sit still (you've undoubtedly seen people sitting there just tapping their leg nonstop for no fucking reason at all). It's a genetic disorder, with possible environmental causes, and has been known to have been caused by brain damage. You don't fix it with diet and exercise, you pretty much HAVE to medicate it.

Imagine injecting yourself with pure adrenaline every morning.....that's ADHD.

• VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,655
    Sov's going to lose his game and develop social anxiety.

Pass on the pills, man.
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
  • JavidJavid When will all this end? Joined: Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hmmm, this might explain why you have all these stories and are one horny MOFO:

http://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/adult-adhd-sex-life

That being said on a more serious note, I'm neutral on this topic. On the one hand I don't think there are any medical doctors in this thread and our opinion really can't hold much weight. On the other hand, money does talk and volumes and volumes of data do show that we are overmedicating our kids and ourselves. One only has to look at the ridiculous new proposals and changes for DSM-5 to see how the everyday "things" that one might experience at one time or another become medical conditions all of a sudden.

At the end of the day, neither I or anybody else can tell you what is right for you. If you feel that these pills will help you than by all means go right ahead. However, I do feel that "these pills" are Band-Aid solutions a lot of times to problems we do not have the answers to or don't want to take the steps necessary to answer...

• regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hecatom wrote: »

Well, since i was little i always had problem to keep focused on a task, if i deemed it too boring or not interesting i simply started spacing out on imaginary land :looney:
    I had some treatments here and there but for the major part i was taught how to keep the focus, i used to isolate myself through the music so i only had stimuli from what i was listening and the task i was doing. Another thing is that the my ADHD is compensated with my OCD (You can't imagine how annoying is to have both of them, is like having both the break and the gas pushed), so far the only symptoms that i display in adulthood are hyperfocus, tendency to procrastinate (which sometimes leads to underestimae the time it will take to finish a task :/), i also tend to interrupt others, specially if i feel that they are wrong or their points lead to nowhere and that i haver huge problems to fall sleep.

As for side effects, it depends of the medication, the most common one was being a little sleepy, besides of that you notice how easy becomes to keep focused on the tasks you are doing.

That kinda sounds like me sometimes... wouldnt surprise me if i had it too. *kanye shrug* so far it hasnt impeded me too much.
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,413
    I was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 9.
    Only medication around at the time was Ritalin which made my ADD worst.

I learned to cope with years of therapy and self discipline.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • 4r54r5 FIGHTAN VIDYA GAEMS Joined: Posts: 2,579
    Our brains are different, they don't make enough of a kind of neurotransmitter, or our brains don't take in enough of what we make. This is why medication works so well for so many people. We lack a balance and the medication puts it back in to balance. Like how diabetics take insulin to manage their blood sugar levels.

It's a deficiency in our frontal lobes, self-regulation and behavior. Learning and knowing what to do? Not a problem. Doing? There's the problem. Which is why whatever you might try, whatever you might learn, won't quite stick in till you get medicated. Been about 8 years since I was last on Ritalin and getting my life back to how it was like while on medication has not been working. The juice just isn't there. My thought process is different; all my alarm clocks, notepads, whiteboards, and todo apps just don't work like when I was medicated.

I already see the anti-med posts. Lost of old information still circulating out there about ADHD, along with agendas and bias. It can be difficult to navigate. All brain disorder topics are heated. It's to be expected, I can't "show" you my disorder. As someone who was diagnosed during alot of the ADD hysteria, and then again as an adult, and has been in denial of my ADHD and hated my medication, I figure I should say something. Knowing more about what ADHD is and isn't, I've come to accept it. And in retrospect, as much as I hated my medication and denied it having any effect, it did have an effect and it did help my life. I've been lucky to have had some damn good doctors who wanted to actually help me rather than just pump me full of anti-depressants. But I've been having a hell of a time finding a new doctor. Wish you well in what ever it is you decide on doing.
    PSN: fourer5 // XBL: fourerfive
    www.youtube.com/user/fourerfive
  • TweleveTweleve fuccboi Joined: Posts: 7,643
    MASS SUGAR CONSUMPTION
    Cornholio101.jpg
    Add me on steam for ye olde Dota 2 - Tweleve3s (hookers and blow)
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,742
    Havent taken my meds in 9 years. ADHD medicine left me so sleepy that I was damn near comatose for most of the day. Never again.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 994
    My little brother took pills for his ADHD when he was about 10-14 and he got SUPER skinny, he wouldn't eat anything. But as he aged he stopped being so energetic/crazy/hyper and is eating regularly, he's fine now. But he still has problems concentrating in school, I don't think there is an actual cure for it.

It's 2-sided, either stop your ADHD and get a terrible side effect, or you kind of just have to deal with it.

• RagingDemonStormRagingDemonStorm The power of elevation Joined: Posts: 3,182
    ADD/ADHD does not exist. Learn to focus.
    CVS2 Akuma\Geese\whoevers top tier in that groove
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ADD/ADHD does not exist. Learn to focus.
    thank you dr.asshat.

op: i have it, i went on the drugs but didnt like how they affected me in highschool. I've considered goin back on them, the past few years have been pretty bad a.d.h.d wise...i've been pretty good with anything not related to school. But i'm thinking of studying up for some i.t tests and how my a.d.h.d will affect me kinda scares me.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • motion51motion51 Joined: Posts: 387
    be careful about any medication because just like us they are all different. i had to take adderall and got insomnia from it.

music helped me focus and weed helped me sleep.

as for the smoking being frowned upon start baking (literally!) and call it a good time!!!
  • angelpalmangelpalm Oink oink Joined: Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I would take the time to learn about meditation and breathing exercises before taking pills. I think what they call AdHd is just the brain itself rebelling or adapting to being bombarded with types of stimuli that it hadn't evolved to cope with. The cool thing about breathe and meditation exercises is that it kind of power cycles your body in a way that can help you deal with those types of situations. Kinda of like that old paper bag/anxiety trick.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,692
    edited February 2014
    Does stuff like this really bother people with OCD or is it just a stupid meme?
    h45781E5D
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,579
    edited February 2014
    tataki wrote: »
    Does stuff like this really bother people with OCD or is it just a stupid meme?

I don't think I have OCD...but I think my eye twitched a bit.
  • Forum_ViewerForum_Viewer User on forum Joined: Posts: 8
    edited February 2014
    You should try asking Marvel 3 players and Mass Effect fans if they have ADHD.
    They have autism AND adhd.
  • KajaRojKajaRoj Joined: Posts: 45
    edited February 2014
    I ask this to myself before. Is ADHD even real? Will prescription pills help me cope with it? I was only 13 when I was diagnosed with ADHD (well more ADD, not really extreme) too and took prescriptions for a period of time. They worked but it had bad side-effects that took a toll in my body. I became depressed, I couldn't sleep, eat, think creatively (I draw), my hairs were lashing out. Then I made a decision to stop taking my meds.

Right now, I'm 21 and I'm doing great. But I ask the question 'do I really have ADHD?' Because I feel like I wasted money on prescriptions just on some psychiatric condition, which I doubt, exists.
  • ZAWARUDOWRYYYZAWARUDOWRYYY Joined: Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I've been lurking the site for quite some time now and decided to register just for this thread. (it's been a while since i've written anything in english so don't hesitate to correct me or ask for explanations on some weird sentences)

What i want to say is that i have "adhd" too, though i didn't test it, but it's just not a disease and you can't "heal" it with meds, that's just how you work.
    What i mean is that meds will only stun you, you'll just be a shadow of yourself and I don't think that's what you want.
    To "suppress" that adhd to some extent you need to work on yourself. I know that sounds easy but it takes years.

On a side note, things like trouble sleeping, not being able to stay still (I do that leg shake a lot), being too emotional (be it music, films or a simple remark that you take too personnaly) and so on are normal things for me and for a lot of people I know. If you look at it with "normal" eyes yeah that's fucked up but I'm not "normal".
    I might sound a bit weird saying that but trust me, I recently discovered that I'm hp (high potential, I think you call it "gifted" in english) and met other hp's since then.
    Thing is, they all have that, ALL OF THEM ! and that's just normal for us because we don't work like "normal" people.

The real struggle is to cope with that and live a normal life in harmony with others. Sure things won't be easy but if you try to be normal when you're not, believe me you're in for some trouble.

My post might be a bit unclear at the moment (couldn't find the right words and the right angle to speak about this) but i'll gladly answer any questions.

I'll look for books in english that could help you figure all this, i know a few but unfortunately they're in french... I truly believe that looking for answers in that direction ("gifted"/high potential) might help you.

• KromoKromo Render unto Miku Joined: Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Don't you like...spend all of your money on pot and beer?
    Mad props to Zombie Lolerskates for the Av
    Voted poster of the year 4 years in a row! 2012 - 2015!
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)
    Glory unto the Machine Goddess!
  • GumpoolGumpool Gumbercules...I love that guy Joined: Posts: 665
    ADHD? you must be a smash player
    gozulin: G1 is like a paradise where, instead of having sex with 72 female virgins, you get to play SF4 against 272 male virgins.
    #FUCKBEETNEIN
    Grnlantern3: If a person developed a foot dive fighting style they'd be unstoppable
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,757
    Seeing some posts here it seems that i am on the minority who actually thinks that medications work and is grateful for being diagnosed earlier in my life.
    I agree that not every case is the same and what works with some people it doesn't necesarily works with others, but going as far as saying that pills won't work is being facetious imo.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Kromo wrote: »

me lol? God no. Weed be free, beer isnt that expensive. I spend most of my money on women (dates, going to meet em, bars, etc).

I stated earlier that a lot of kids get labelled ADHD mainly because of either shitty parents, their diet, puberty, etc. But Adult ADHD seems to be pretty obvious. Some of the shit I do has nothing to do with concentration or any of that nonsense.

• PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    weed > pills

that's my professional medical opinion*

*not a medical professional

TBF, you're right.

Was told I had ADHD when I was younger, took pills for it. The pills made me feel like shit, parents thought it was a bad idea but hope for the best. Did poor in middle school, not to tell in High School but I was one of the like 20% that actually graduated. Doing perfectly fine in college, so I just think my school was shitty.

It can be hard to focus at times. It's odd to be listening to someone, then 10 seconds later you completely forget what they just said. I don't know why this happens since in certain things, I can have perfect memory of the entire thing.

I dunno, usually when I'm around people I just stay quiet and only speak when to ask a question (rare), or criticize something (often, which leads people to laugh).

All in all, not a big deal on my end. I don't take pills for it.
    I smoke from time to time though, but not ADHD, however...
    I'm epileptic. If not for weed, I wouldn't be able to make this post, play games, or watch movies.
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf

me lol? God no. Weed be free, beer isnt that expensive. I spend most of my money on women (dates, going to meet em, bars, etc).

I stated earlier that a lot of kids get labelled ADHD mainly because of either shitty parents, their diet, puberty, etc. But Adult ADHD seems to be pretty obvious. Some of the shit I do has nothing to do with concentration or any of that nonsense.

Maybe I should have rephrased that.
    Do you smoke a lot of pot and drink a lot of beer?
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)

these may possibly be caused by my ADHD. I smoke weed fairly regularly. Beer, I usually only drink like 2-3 times a week.

• sethian0sethian0 B PoSiTiVe - B KiND Joined: Posts: 1,079
    If weed fixes your issues, then get your medical card and smoke weed. fuck chemicals....

these may possibly be caused by my ADHD. I smoke weed fairly regularly. Beer, I usually only drink like 2-3 times a week.

Well, the whole point of doing drugs is to change your state of consciousness. Stop taking those before taking something new to be "normal"
    sethian0 wrote: »
    If weed fixes your issues, then get your medical card and smoke weed. fuck chemicals....

yet again, the point being that when I am working and this affects me, weed isn't an option.

Well, the whole point of doing drugs is to change your state of consciousness. Stop taking those before taking something new to be "normal"

I only smoke pot. Don't touch the other shit no more. Oddly enough, I'm more fucked up when I'm "normal" than when I am stoned.