Are You Okay? SRK Mental Health Thread

Comments

• KromoKromo Render unto Miku Joined: Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    SoVi3t wrote: »
    sethian0 wrote: »
    If weed fixes your issues, then get your medical card and smoke weed. fuck chemicals....

yet again, the point being that when I am working and this affects me, weed isn't an option.
    Kromo wrote: »
    Don't you like...spend all of your money on pot and beer?

me lol? God no. Weed be free, beer isnt that expensive. I spend most of my money on women (dates, going to meet em, bars, etc).

I stated earlier that a lot of kids get labelled ADHD mainly because of either shitty parents, their diet, puberty, etc. But Adult ADHD seems to be pretty obvious. Some of the shit I do has nothing to do with concentration or any of that nonsense.

Maybe I should have rephrased that.
    Do you smoke a lot of pot and drink a lot of beer?

these may possibly be caused by my ADHD. I smoke weed fairly regularly. Beer, I usually only drink like 2-3 times a week.

Well, the whole point of doing drugs is to change your state of consciousness. Stop taking those before taking something new to be "normal"

I only smoke pot. Don't touch the other shit no more. Oddly enough, I'm more fucked up when I'm "normal" than when I am stoned.

When was the last time you went any significant amount of time being "not high"?
    I knew people who would be high all day everyday and then they would just acclimatize to it. Personally, I think it throws off your brain chemistry. It might be worth trying to go a month or two without it.
    Mad props to Zombie Lolerskates for the Av
    Voted poster of the year 4 years in a row! 2012 - 2015!
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)
    Glory unto the Machine Goddess!
  • ZAWARUDOWRYYYZAWARUDOWRYYY Joined: Posts: 3
    Hecatom>>> While I agree that seems a bit presomptuous the echoes i got from others (kids ands adults) is that rilatin for example works but they can certainly live without it and do just fine at focusing on whatever (so no downsides like sleepiness). I'm sure you have no difficulty concentrating on something that interests you and spend hours on it without even realizing it, let me know about that.

I dug a bit and found a few things (since i found all those on the website of the association that introduced me to it I tend to give it credit but yeah at least i'm sure you guys will find it interesting)

http://www.douance.be/douance-ahp-gifted.htm
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    edited February 2014
    If weed fixes your issues, then get your medical card and smoke weed. fuck chemicals....

yet again, the point being that when I am working and this affects me, weed isn't an option.

me lol? God no. Weed be free, beer isnt that expensive. I spend most of my money on women (dates, going to meet em, bars, etc).

I stated earlier that a lot of kids get labelled ADHD mainly because of either shitty parents, their diet, puberty, etc. But Adult ADHD seems to be pretty obvious. Some of the shit I do has nothing to do with concentration or any of that nonsense.

these may possibly be caused by my ADHD. I smoke weed fairly regularly. Beer, I usually only drink like 2-3 times a week.

Well, the whole point of doing drugs is to change your state of consciousness. Stop taking those before taking something new to be "normal"

I only smoke pot. Don't touch the other shit no more. Oddly enough, I'm more fucked up when I'm "normal" than when I am stoned.

When was the last time you went any significant amount of time being "not high"?
    I knew people who would be high all day everyday and then they would just acclimatize to it. Personally, I think it throws off your brain chemistry. It might be worth trying to go a month or two without it.

I dont get high all day. I only smoke after work, or at the end of the day, for the most part. I occasionally will wake and bake if I have to clean up or have a long chunk of my day off doing nothing but staying in.

Absofuckinglutely no way am I going a month or two without weed. May as well ask me to not drink for a few months too. Or no fucking.

I got my meds. Gonna eat something then try them out
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 21,410
    Hecatom>>> While I agree that seems a bit presomptuous the echoes i got from others (kids ands adults) is that rilatin for example works but they can certainly live without it and do just fine at focusing on whatever (so no downsides like sleepiness). I'm sure you have no difficulty concentrating on something that interests you and spend hours on it without even realizing it, let me know about that.

I dug a bit and found a few things (since i found all those on the website of the association that introduced me to it I tend to give it credit but yeah at least i'm sure you guys will find it interesting)

http://www.douance.be/douance-ahp-gifted.htm

It seems to me that the major complaint about drugs is related to Ritalin which i never used tbh
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    edited February 2014
    Matriarch wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you struggle with OCD too. I can only imagine how scrambled you feel at times. Just remember that most OCD behavior is linked to anxiety and stress. The pattern that you see in most people is that some action brings them some element of comfort (like washing your hands, taking a shower, cleaning or organizing, turning on a light, counting, etc). And then when they feel stressed they turn to this activity as a means to cope, and eventually this coping becomes compulsive as the person doesn't know any other way to deal with their emotions.

yeah, I do feel pretty fucking scrambled at times. It's a pain in the ass to just sit there for long periods of time doing nothing, because I can't figure out what I need to do. All the while, never motionless :(
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

• MatriarchMatriarch Lilim Joined: Posts: 2,749
    edited February 2014
    Sorry to hear you struggle with OCD too. I can only imagine how scrambled you feel at times. Just remember that most OCD behavior is linked to anxiety and stress. The pattern that you see in most people is that some action brings them some element of comfort (like washing your hands, taking a shower, cleaning or organizing, turning on a light, counting, etc). And then when they feel stressed they turn to this activity as a means to cope, and eventually this coping becomes compulsive as the person doesn't know any other way to deal with their emotions.

yeah, I do feel pretty fucking scrambled at times. It's a pain in the ass to just sit there for long periods of time doing nothing, because I can't figure out what I need to do. All the while, never motionless :(

Scheduling has been pretty successful with children and adults with ADHD. Basically you make a steady schedule and stay to it. Kids know what's coming up so they can mentally prepare for it. Adults can create a schedule when they're feeling focused (research shows adults who make schedules follow it more when they're involved in making it, so getting someone to help is fine but you should be involved).

So the schedule becomes like your anchor when you feel yourself getting lost. At first it might be harder for you to use the schedule, but with some practice most improve. Getting accomplished what you set out to accomplish is a great incentive. Just have something that's easily accessible and can be carried on your person.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,748
    On the upside, often those with ADD and ADHD makes good drivers and machine gunners as they constantly visually scan their environment.
    Keep in mind ADD and ADHD are 2 separate disorders. ADD and ADHD are not just chemical imbalances, but sometimes completely different brain chemistry.

It too bad ADD and ADHD is so overly diagnosed as a scapegoat reason instead of finding the actual cause to the child's issues. Some of the past methods of testing for ADD and ADHD have been horrible.
    Like "we are going to put you on meds anyways (without full diagnosis) and see what changes so we can make our diagnosis". I am so glad that went out of practice. Alot of ADD and ADHD diagnosis in children are from lazy, lazy medical, psychological and social work. Yes in some states a social worker or the school system can diagnose someone with ADD or ADHD, someone with no Medical/Psychological training.
    Some children group homes will be the one to "diagnose" children with what ever disorder for own purely bureaucratic reasons and to the disservice of the child.

I was lucky to be diagnosed by my pediatrician who has some 30 years of experience in the field when I was 9, before it became a fad to diagnose very brat with ADD/ADHD.

Never pay double the retail price

Scheduling has been pretty successful with children and adults with ADHD. Basically you make a steady schedule and stay to it. Kids know what's coming up so they can mentally prepare for it. Adults can create a schedule when they're feeling focused (research shows adults who make schedules follow it more when they're involved in making it, so getting someone to help is fine but you should be involved).

So the schedule becomes like your anchor when you feel yourself getting lost. At first it might be harder for you to use the schedule, but with some practice most improve. Getting accomplished what you set out to accomplish is a great incentive. Just have something that's easily accessible and can be carried on your person.

that's not really the issue. I'll know what my schedule is. I know what I have to do. I just don't do it. I sit there and kinda think about what I have to do and what needs to be done, then 30 mins have passed and I'm still there. The restlessness is my main concern though.

• TannerTanner Joined: Posts: 1,691
    Hecatom wrote: »
    Seeing some posts here it seems that i am on the minority who actually thinks that medications work and is grateful for being diagnosed earlier in my life.
    I agree that not every case is the same and what works with some people it doesn't necesarily works with others, but going as far as saying that pills won't work is being facetious imo.

People like that annoy the shit out of me. Soviet just had a DOCTOR, someone who had to have nearly a DECADE of medical training, prescribe him medication, meanwhile people with ZERO medical training are trying to tell him the DOCTOR is wrong. Not to mention ADD meds have been proven to be very effective.
    League of Legends IGN: Logios
  • sethian0sethian0 B PoSiTiVe - B KiND Joined: Posts: 1,076
    edited February 2014
    Have you looked up herbal supplements that MAY help with ADHD? I would rather be dependent on a herb compressed pill than anything the a pharmaceutical company wants to put in me

Also maybe try eating weed butter its a way different high, way more body high and barely any head high. this may be the best of both worlds? who knows tell you try it...
    Tanner wrote: »
    Seeing some posts here it seems that i am on the minority who actually thinks that medications work and is grateful for being diagnosed earlier in my life.
    I agree that not every case is the same and what works with some people it doesn't necesarily works with others, but going as far as saying that pills won't work is being facetious imo.

People like that annoy the shit out of me. Soviet just had a DOCTOR, someone who had to have nearly a DECADE of medical training, prescribe him medication, meanwhile people with ZERO medical training are trying to tell him the DOCTOR is wrong. Not to mention ADD meds have been proven to be very effective.

yeah, I wanted to mention that, but forgot to lol

The issue with ADHD is that a lot of kids on sugary diets, or going through puberty, get mistakenly diagnosed as having ADHD. So there is this stigma that it's a fake disease, created to medicate kids and shit.

I'm a full grown adult. I don't drink pop, or eat snacks, really. No way you're telling me some of the fucked up shit I have to put up with, is due to my eating of salads, steaks, and chili.

My brain is fucked. After awhile of taking this medication, I don't REALLY notice any improvements, but I do seem to be sitting still a little better lol.

Next week, and the following week, the amount I have to take goes up though o.0

• BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,533
    edited February 2014
    Never mind, I got nothing good to say. ADHD sucks.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Not a terrible thing to waste Joined: Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I dont get high all day. I only smoke after work, or at the end of the day, for the most part. I occasionally will wake and bake if I have to clean up or have a long chunk of my day off doing nothing but staying in.

Absofuckinglutely no way am I going a month or two without weed. May as well ask me to not drink for a few months too. Or no fucking.

I have zero sympathy for anyone that does drugs that already alter the chemistry of their brain. Kromo basically hit the nail on the head. Fucking like those crackheads that get put on naltrexone or some shit to make their brains function normally again, which is a waste since they just go back to smoking crack since being normal is too overwhelming for their bitch asses. lol

Try looking into shit that can help improve your life without pills before you go trying to change your shit based off what some guy that gets paid to write prescriptions tells you to do. Or not, I don't care, just it's a shame to see someone go down that road
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,763
    tataki wrote: »
    Does stuff like this really bother people with OCD or is it just a stupid meme?

I don't believe I have OCD but that stuff bugs the crap out of me. Patterns that are slightly off because some dumbass couldn't figure out that the stone on the ground was supposed to face the same direction as the other 91.

As for ADHD, the only experience I've had with it was a friend when I was a kid. He was a bit more hyper than the rest of us, but his grades weren't terrible and his focus didn't seem to be particularly lacking for a 11/12 year old. When he was about 14 he got diagnosed and put on some medicine for ADHD. He seemed to be a bit calmer and did a bit better in school, but that could be just because he was older.
    I am the one true frog.
  • ZAWARUDOWRYYYZAWARUDOWRYYY Joined: Posts: 3
    Tanner wrote: »

Hum. I have everything Soviet (and Hecatom btw) has (trouble focusing, sitting still, trouble sleeping, mood swings etc..) and I've seen my fair share of doctors, psychologists and nutritionists yet not even once have i been told to take meds.
    So, who's right between my specialists and the ones Soviet consulted ? The answer could be as simple as both of them.
    I didn't deny the efficacity of meds, sure it works and you can find plenty of people that are fine with them but is it really good in the long run ? I don't think so.

I have trouble focusing on things i don't like (school homework for example) but still you can't stop my focus if i find something interesting. Strange uh ? Still i did some of my homework despite focusing on it being hard and without meds. How ? I just had to figure some tricks that would help me. Like Hecatom said, for me listening to music helps, you can think of it as a game or set goals ("I'm doing this before dinner" or something). Really the hardest part are the first ten minutes or so where you brain can go anywhere but on the task, after that it goes smoothly.

Now I want to know some things about those meds. First, do they "shutdown" or limit your imagination (like thinking about multiple things at the same time) ?
    Second, do you feel less energetic ? (Soviet said that it helps him sitting still so the answer should be yes)

What I think about this (again just my personnal opinion trying to help others that have the same "troubles") is if the answers are yes to both my questions then really, again, it is not worth it in the long run. Those two things (amongst others) are what makes you different and able to solve problems that others that don't have those troubles can't. Sure sometimes that's a real pain in the ass but i'd rather live with it than without it and believe me I have a really fucked up life.

But if you started this thread just to have answers like "yes the doctor told you so take your pills and it'll be good" (no offense to those who answered that) then don't bother reading the rest and complain about it.

Oh and for your interest despite having a balanced alimentation (is my english good on that? I wonder) I have a huge lack in Calcium, omega 3, some vitamins etc..
    I have it since birth and that's something that you can only figure with an extensive blood analysis (+urine i think but don't quote me on that) so you might want to consider it if you want to go further.

• KromoKromo Render unto Miku Joined: Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    [

Well enjoy your enslavement and lifetime of suffering. You had your chance.
    Mad props to Zombie Lolerskates for the Av
    Voted poster of the year 4 years in a row! 2012 - 2015!
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)
    Glory unto the Machine Goddess!
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,362
    There is no such thing as ADHD. Some people just need to pull their head out of their asses and focus.

TBF, he has a point.

@SoVi3t, you should read up on "Why French Kids Don't Have ADHD" as there's several articles (including Adult ADHD) how people outside of America think this is a psychological issue, not a medical one.

Outside of America, people with ADHD are looked into seeing their lifestyle, and find ways to try to alternate it in order to help resolve this disability. Since America is a very pill happy country, we basically have a pill for literally any problems out there so of course you're gonna be recommended meds.
    Research does indicate that it's a chemical imbalance, so take your meds.
    This is debatable, as most of the time proven false.
    The only way of becoming chemically imbalance depends on the type of food choice, however taking meds will cause true chemical imbalance. Most people out there will recommend avoiding meds at all cost and just change up your life style. Others will want money, and just want you to buy meds.

All in honestly, try taking on a difficult sport to help discipline you on a strict schedule.
    Change your diet; eat healthier.
    Change your lifestyle; whatever is causing stress, stop it
    Try joining boxing; have a coach yell at you what you're doing wrong and show up on a strict schedule.

You should see changes in about 6 months.
    Or... you can keep taking the meds.
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,294
    thought title said AIDS at first haha
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
    thought I'd resurrect this thread, and make it a mental health thread, on the suggestion of other members of SRK. Now we have a place to discuss our massive depression, and ways to cope, deal with it, and possibly get better.

• Syke1Syke1 Prettyboy Slugfest [Remix] Joined: Posts: 12,449 mod
    Im on 2 scripts right now and i hate it
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
    Syke1 wrote: »
    Im on 2 scripts right now and i hate it

I stopped talking to my family over all this. Last time I spoke to any member of my family was 1 year and 4 days ago. My doctor pretty much asked me 'do your issues bother you?' to which I replied NOPE, and he said I really didn't NEED to take the medication. I shouldn't need to worry about what bothers other people.

Meanwhile my family is telling me I gotta take all those med's, and I can't ever drink again or smoke pot, because that could screw up the medication. I have a better idea, I'm gonna cut out your negative asses from my life, and continue to do things I enjoy, instead of what you demand of me.

Manx wrote: »
    Anyway, if anyone wants to talk just PM me. We can Skype or whatever and talk about damn near anything. I'm happy to be alive and I feel like I'm truly living for the first time in my life.

tup.gif

add me to facebook or something, if you haven't already. Some days, I sure as fuck could use somebody to talk to. No family means I basically only talk to my friends when they ain't working, or I'm working.

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster Stu-Booty Joined: Posts: 7,951
    edited June 2015
    I was on adderal in jr. High and early high school and I hated it. It made me sleepy for the first half the day then I would get mood swings the second half the day.

When I ended up having to move out of state with my parents when I 19 despite having a job, girlfriend and was getting an apartment with friends I ended up severe depression (my parents couldn't figure out why) so I tried getting on antidepressants and all it did was make me lazy and I gained a shit ton of wait because of it. I would just lay in bed all day and play PS3. So it didn't really do anything.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• odinodin high on life Joined: Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My gf is bi-polar and has depression.
    Best thing that ever helped her was a psychologist. She refuses drugs because they put her in a state that she feels she is not in control of. Whereas a psychologist makes her understand things more clearly and she can control herself or do activities that limit the negatives.
    odin wrote: »
    Best thing that ever helped her was a psychologist. She refuses drugs because they put her in a state that she feels she is not in control of. Whereas a psychologist makes her understand things more clearly and she can control herself or do activities that limit the negatives.

This alays seems to be the best case for a lot of people I know who are bipolar. Your mind is ready chemically not where it should be. All drugs seem to do is further that or give very short bursts of results that have no long term advantage; if any.

I had a really good friend who was bipolar and her mom tried to make her take any pill possible to help with it but none of them did but after 3-4 sessions with a psychiatrist who specialized with bipolar disorder and ocd she was a completely different person; for lack of a better phrase. You could just tell shit clicked with her more, she started going back to school and Was genuinely happy most days. She had her really bad days every once in a while but who doesn't? Mental disorder or not.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• odinodin high on life Joined: Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

This alays seems to be the best case for a lot of people I know who are bipolar. Your mind is ready chemically not where it should be. All drugs seem to do is further that or give very short bursts of results that have no long term advantage; if any.

I had a really good friend who was bipolar and her mom tried to make her take any pill possible to help with it but none of them did but after 3-4 sessions with a psychiatrist who specialized with bipolar disorder and ocd she was a completely different person; for lack of a better phrase. You could just tell shit clicked with her more, she started going back to school and Was genuinely happy most days. She had her really bad days every once in a while but who doesn't? Mental disorder or not.

Absolutely, brother.
    And support is so important. Gf had a pretty broken family... So something that could have been helped at an early age, was basically ignored and worsened.
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 18,731
    Talking helps a lot. The stigma with mental health is entirely unwarranted.

If it wasn't for my gf i would have never sought out help.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,008
    edited June 2015
    Exodus. wrote: »
    Finally bit up the courage to go to a counselor my junior year of Uni after failing out of school, working in a cardboard box factory, going back to school and almost failing out of school again.

I'm like the opposite of Sovi3t in that all I had was family no real friends around that time. I always kept my feelings away from them, I never got anything out. I never really opened up to anyone after my friend commit suicide in HS, it was hard for me to trust people after that. Not opening up to people makes it hard to make friends, ya know? As far as family goes I'm the oldest of 4 in a freakishly normal family. Being the oldest of 4 in a normal as fuck American family made me put lots of pressure on myself. I wanted to be the perfect role model for my siblings, but I kept (in my mind) fucking up. Drinking at 15 (stealing dad's yuengling), video games at all hours, smoking rather than going to class, etc... So I always kept a stoic face on for them and never really showed them that I was tearing myself apart on the inside, which obviously is incredibly unhealthy. I never really had suicidal thoughts or at least I never thought of them like that, I always just imagined "going away" and letting my family quit needing to worry about me.

Luckily enough for me all I really needed was just talk. I never wanted meds, though I know they've helped my friend so I think they're a good thing. I always heard about how slow/hazy they make you and I didn't want that. I forced myself to get out, talk to people, make friends, tell my parents about how I'm struggling and working out helped a lot.

I still stress myself the fuck out sometimes or feel the black hole of anxiousness but I've armed myself with ways to deal with it that aren't disappearing into video games for 8 hours a night (which is the opposite of "dealing with it" of course).

Shit hits too close to home. Have massive trust issues from people always screwing me over, even my own family. Its to the point where unless I absolutely am 100% comfortable around you I will pretty much only respond with: Yes, No, uh huh, mmhm, heh, etc.
    Post edited by Joshkaz on
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,212
    I used to be one hyper active kid growing up; it pissed off my family so much. Thinking about it now, I might have had ADD but I kind of 'grow' out of it. A bunch of negative shits happened to me back in public school that sorta just straightened me out. I just became conservative and just focused on getting the fuck out of high school with flying colors so I can go to college--> earn $$ and all that jazz. I'm happy my parents never gave me any medications. Being poor has its upsides.

Good luck and hope you guys cope with the struggle. Here's some happy song.

=============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of the most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki
    Joshkaz wrote: »
    Exodus. wrote: »
    Finally bit up the courage to go to a counselor my junior year of Uni after failing out of school, working in a cardboard box factory, going back to school and almost failing out of school again.

I'm like the opposite of Sovi3t in that all I had was family no real friends around that time. I always kept my feelings away from them, I never got anything out. I never really opened up to anyone after my friend commit suicide in HS, it was hard for me to trust people after that. Not opening up to people makes it hard to make friends, ya know? As far as family goes I'm the oldest of 4 in a freakishly normal family. Being the oldest of 4 in a normal as fuck American family made me put lots of pressure on myself. I wanted to be the perfect role model for my siblings, but I kept (in my mind) fucking up. Drinking at 15 (stealing dad's yuengling), video games at all hours, smoking rather than going to class, etc... So I always kept a stoic face on for them and never really showed them that I was tearing myself apart on the inside, which obviously is incredibly unhealthy. I never really had suicidal thoughts or at least I never thought of them like that, I always just imagined "going away" and letting my family quit needing to worry about me.

Luckily enough for me all I really needed was just talk. I never wanted meds, though I know they've helped my friend so I think they're a good thing. I always heard about how slow/hazy they make you and I didn't want that. I forced myself to get out, talk to people, make friends, tell my parents about how I'm struggling and working out helped a lot.

I still stress myself the fuck out sometimes or feel the black hole of anxiousness but I've armed myself with ways to deal with it that aren't disappearing into video games for 8 hours a night (which is the opposite of "dealing with it" of course).

Shit hits too close to home. Have massive trust issues from people always screwing me over even my own family. To the point where unless I absolutely am 100% comfortable around you I will pretty much only respond with: Yes, No, uh huh, mmhm, heh, etc.

I'm with you 100% on this. I don't trust many people, and I have been told I reply with no enthusiasm to shit people tell me at work

• pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,150
    edited June 2015
    lol, necro thread
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,410
    Back in elementary school around 2nd grade, I somehow began to develop a severe case of anger management issues. I don't know how I began to suffer from that, but it became an incessant problem until 6th grade. However, I didn't realize that while being given medication, I was (mis)diagnosed with ADHD, and the paperwork made a trail into high school up to my senior year through the IEP system, thus falsely labeling me as a special-needs student. Aside from my anger issues, I never had problems with being hyperactive or paying attention in class, but then again the two can go hand in hand. However, my anger died off long before I came across that realization when speaking with one of my teachers, which left me devastated and humiliated. I never knew what the whole IEP thing was until then, but the overall experience and revelation still plague me a bit.

As of now, I have overcome somewhat of a depression after experiencing my graduation ceremony last month. I'd say that the positive energy was what I needed, and spending time with some of my friends and family afterwards helped. It also eased my nervousness aboutNow, I just need to overcome my anxiety with driving - it's very disconcerting and frustrating approaching 22 and not having a driver's license, but that's another story. I will admit that as much as an asshat I may seem here, I'm really not like that at in person. My therapist claims I suffer from depression, but I don't really believe so - I think I'm just a whiny, little shit.

My boss is bi-polar. I genuinely have nothing against her, but sometimes there are moments when her actions and expectations as a store manager really piss me off (some of her actions I don't believe involve her being bi-polar). Before her leave of abscene for surgery, she would assist in bringing out freight to the sales floor while on her meds, which would slur her speech and as I recall, slightly alter her mental stability. I'm certain that's a safety hazard.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
  • blueleonblueleon Joined: Posts: 2,159
    Sometimes I channel my emotions through Counter-Strike. Not always effective or engaging, it's simple.

I play in an aggressive manner nearly all the time; it's the way to win. As CT on Dust II, I will rush T spawn every time to see how well the rest of those fuckers deal with it.
    - FN Five Seven, MP7, and M4A4 are my weapons of choice. I buy grenades whenever I can.
    Dramatix wrote: »
    Now, I just need to overcome my anxiety with driving - it's very disconcerting and frustrating approaching 22 and not having a driver's license, but that's another story.

I don't drive. I'm 33 without a driver's license, never owned a car, etc. Here we have this dumb fucking law that when you first get your license, it's graduated licensing. So you start with a G1, then get a G2, then your full G license. With a G1, you need a G licensed person in the car with you at all times when you drive. Living on my own, without a family, that's kinda fucking hard.

When I was 16 learning to drive, my dad was a fucking nightmare. Literally just sitting next to me screaming at the top of his lungs, out of false fear (he hadn't sat shotgun in years, so his perspective freaked him out when he saw himself closer to the side of the road than usual), or out of anger. I literally stopped the car one day, got out, threw the keys at him, and refused to ever drive with him again. I soon moved out on my own around the time I was 17, because the mental abuse at home just got way too out of fucking hand.

In the years since, I could never afford a car, or my money was going towards school and stupidity. I'm kinda at a point now where I NEED to fucking be able to drive to work (I cab or bus there, as is, and it's fucking expensive as fuck). So I now have to figure out how to save up enough money to get a better place to live, learn to drive with little or no help, and learn about cars and buy one. I literally know fuck all about cars. I don't even really play driving games like Gran Turismo.

Oddly enough,l drive cranes, forklifts, and tractors at work lol.

• blueleonblueleon Joined: Posts: 2,159
    I wouldn't bother to either drive or own a car unless it became absolutely necessary for me to do so.

I'll need to see the cost & benefit before considering a driver's license.
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,410
    edited June 2015
    Dramatix wrote: »
    Now, I just need to overcome my anxiety with driving - it's very disconcerting and frustrating approaching 22 and not having a driver's license, but that's another story.

I don't drive. I'm 33 without a driver's license, never owned a car, etc. Here we have this dumb fucking law that when you first get your license, it's graduated licensing. So you start with a G1, then get a G2, then your full G license. With a G1, you need a G licensed person in the car with you at all times when you drive. Living on my own, without a family, that's kinda fucking hard.

When I was 16 learning to drive, my dad was a fucking nightmare. Literally just sitting next to me screaming at the top of his lungs, out of false fear (he hadn't sat shotgun in years, so his perspective freaked him out when he saw himself closer to the side of the road than usual), or out of anger. I literally stopped the car one day, got out, threw the keys at him, and refused to ever drive with him again. I soon moved out on my own around the time I was 17, because the mental abuse at home just got way too out of fucking hand.

In the years since, I could never afford a car, or my money was going towards school and stupidity. I'm kinda at a point now where I NEED to fucking be able to drive to work (I cab or bus there, as is, and it's fucking expensive as fuck). So I now have to figure out how to save up enough money to get a better place to live, learn to drive with little or no help, and learn about cars and buy one. I literally know fuck all about cars. I don't even really play driving games like Gran Turismo.

Oddly enough,l drive cranes, forklifts, and tractors at work lol.

I have my permit, which would be considered a G1 here, so I could practice at anytime. My anxiety came from a car accident at 14 that my mother and I had gotten into. I wasn't driving, but because my mother and I look alike and that everyone in the area knew each other including the woman we crashed into (who ran the red light), the witnesses informed the police that I was the driver, and the officer I dealt with was a cantankerous token who was hell-bent on having me arrested while making me out to be some form of degenerate. In another words, I let some asshole mold me into feeling as if I was some another young, black man wreacking havoc on the street. I never wanted to drive since, and that proved to be detrimental throughout high school.

It didn't help that in my sophomore year of high school, had the officer shown up for my case against me, I would've potentially ended up in juvenile detention for a crime I didn't commit. Junior year was when I faced him again, this time during my mother's case. Even to that day, that man who convinced I was the one driving, and I overheard my mother vehemently defending me (which as of now reminds me that I need to appreciate her a lot more). In the end, we lost the case, and though I didn't end up in juvie, my "reputation" to everyone in my eye was "another dumb black kid fucking up". I was incensed to the point of tears. Nowadays, the authorities thinking it's open season on black men doesn't comfort me at all. All of it plays a hefty part in my self-esteem, though as of now, my fear is moreso being killed in an accident than facing an officer.

Primarily, I need my license so that I won't be a liability to my mother, who I believe between the two of us is genuinely depressed, being a single parent who works her ass off, yet can't come across a steady job (she's very competent but to clarify she mainly ends up with temp work), all while dealing with health problems and school. Her always taking up manual labor doesn't help with her physicality, either. Also, if something (God forbid) happens, I can at least move about on my own trying to stand on my own. There's also that I want it so that I won't be a liability to friends - it would be nice to not ask people for rides in order to hang out, and being able to pick them up and drive around. It's also why I don't want to date - it would be nice to go out and meet people, but I'd rather not be a pain in the ass.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    blueleon wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother to either drive or own a car unless it became absolutely necessary for me to do so.

It costs me about 40 bucks each day to get to and from work. I'm also finding I want a pickup truck, so I can haul shit around. I hate when I buy something, and I have to figure out how to get it home. On that note, I fucking hate having to cab or bus to get to friend's places all the time, or carrying groceries home without a vehicle. And it's just plain awkward as fuck to tell people I don't drive or have a car at my age. Meanwhile I own virtual currency easily worth a vehicle o.0

I'm kinda just scared around learning to use any vehicles, I was awful when I first started using forklifts and cranes, and that shit is mostly driving in a straight line, or with little or no traffic, low speeds, or just extremely short distances. But I really need and want to learn.

• PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,362
    How serious is ADD or ADHD?
    I may have it, but who knows.

In my case, I actually do have brain damage, which in turn causes my seizures.
    My vocabulary is off, since words for me come off as symbols sometimes. I've also recently found out that I've never seen people as people. I forget the disorder, but it seems like I've been see everyone as shapes and what not. I dunno, confusing stuff.

I'm usually hyperactive, and in return I stay active.
    Does this effect the way you spend energy? I notice people around my age always complain about coffee and getting tired really quickly. I can still pull all nighters with no issues. I dunno, may be over thinking things.
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,240
    edited June 2015
    I dont know what the hell is wrong with me but I can tell you that im borderline fucking nuts.

A co-worker was jokingly telling me that he is going to kill this guy who fucked with his sister, and I spent 20 minutes thinking of a way to do it without getting caught. I eventually came up with spiking his drink at an upcoming party with the LSD that the guy gave his sister, because it wasnt really LSD. It was some really strong other shit and it put her in the hospital. A whole bunch of it and he's done.

The guy is a drug dealer too, so it'll look like he was just a fucking retard about his recreational drugs.

I've been noticing my anger issues have been getting a bit out of control lately. I nearly threw a hammer through a window at work earlier. I may be somewhat happier having moved out my dads house, but the damage is done. A few hours every day of psychological torture and inescapable degradation of your personality and everything about you doesnt really do you any favors.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 963
    PozerWolf wrote: »
    How serious is ADD or ADHD?

There's different measurements of severity.

Only reason why I know this is because I my brother and my cousin are both diagnosed with ADHD.
  • pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,150

It costs me about 40 bucks each day to get to and from work. I'm also finding I want a pickup truck, so I can haul shit around. I hate when I buy something, and I have to figure out how to get it home. On that note, I fucking hate having to cab or bus to get to friend's places all the time, or carrying groceries home without a vehicle. And it's just plain awkward as fuck to tell people I don't drive or have a car at my age. Meanwhile I own virtual currency easily worth a vehicle o.0

I'm kinda just scared around learning to use any vehicles, I was awful when I first started using forklifts and cranes, and that shit is mostly driving in a straight line, or with little or no traffic, low speeds, or just extremely short distances. But I really need and want to learn.

They won't know unless you do dumb shit.

Canada sounding real stupid right now.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,506
    you can get a g1, wait 11 months, then get a driving instructor to prepare you for the road test. they can book it, pick you up and take you to the driving centre. runs about $250-$300 for the whole process (assuming 5 lessons). its pricey but at least you wouldnt need to drive with family or friends at any point. after that you can drive by yourself. if highway driving comes naturally to you, you may not need to hire an instructor for the g test. its basically the same as the g2 test but with a highway component.
    This message will self-destruct.
    edited June 2015

Absolutely, brother.
    And support is so important. Gf had a pretty broken family... So something that could have been helped at an early age, was basically ignored and worsened.

Word. I'd visit her every day after school to drop off homework so she wouldn't get expelled or transferred to another school. The days I couldn't make it out I'd always call her and check or on her at least leave a voice mail. Even on her worse days when she didn't want to talk to be around anyone I would let her know someone was there for her.

Story of my life.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

you can get a g1, wait 11 months, then get a driving instructor to prepare you for the road test. they can book it, pick you up and take you to the driving centre. runs about $250-$300 for the whole process (assuming 5 lessons). its pricey but at least you wouldnt need to drive with family or friends at any point. after that you can drive by yourself. if highway driving comes naturally to you, you may not need to hire an instructor for the g test. its basically the same as the g2 test but with a highway component.

lol I did this back when I was 16. My driving instructor was some Jamaican named Balford who had a bunch of reggae albums in the 70s. Used to make me drive him around on errands (once I sat in the car for my entire hour of training, while he went into a store and talked to the owner, then I drove home). And we'd only listen to his albums while driving around. Fucker had that shit on cassette, too! He ended up closing up shop, declaring bancruptcy, then reopening another driving school a few months later, and thus I never completed driver's ed.

Like literally, so much shit has popped up in my life to try to keep me away from driving.

My other problem is I really should be able to drive by now, or at the very least I fucking need to right now. Having to go for G1, then wait a year for G2, is gonna fuck me, but so will doing nothing :(