Are You Okay? SRK Mental Health Thread

Comments

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster HUMANZ Joined: Posts: 8,347
    Seeing a new therapist next week. I miss my old one but she moved and I promised her I'd see her replacement a few times just to see if she's a good fit. I hope it goes well.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

• dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 19,513
    Finding a good fit is the hardest part of talking to a professional

Kaiser has shitty therapist

If he thinks me saying "go to the hospital and say you will kill yourself" is trolling that is his deal

Him saying that here does nothing, don't know why we even had discussion about using alcohol and weed to numb it

He should go to the hospital
  • drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I dont come here to clamor for attention, Booger. I post what I post here so I can just get that shit off my chest. I have no other outlet. Stop posting in here, dude.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,485
    It's all good posting here man, you'll get good advice and bad like anywhere in life, you should try find other outlets though. Even if you have to keep stuff to the chest while you're out just getting out and doing things is generally good for your mental health.
    Ive tried AA but I just cant get with all that "jesus will save us" kinda shit. I'm not religious so I don't like it. I had a really good counselor but not anymore. I try to talk to my mom, but she don't give a fuck. So I come here and spout my shit. Just reading it makes me feel a little better.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
    drizzt360 wrote: »
    Ive tried AA but I just cant get with all that "jesus will save us" kinda shit. I'm not religious so I don't like it. I had a really good counselor but not anymore. I try to talk to my mom, but she don't give a fuck. So I come here and spout my shit. Just reading it makes me feel a little better.

There's other shit you can do man. Join a amateur sports team, go to the gym, go play Magic cards or rock up to LAN events like FGC stuff. It doesn't matter what you do really as long as there are other people there. Don't go in there like they're counsellors because they're not man but just being around others doing something other than yourself can be good.
    Its hard to get motivated. Lately my best release is playing fighting games on fightcade. Its fun and completely distracts me. But it only last so long. I work out every morning. I really do try to keep myself distracted but sometimes nothing works and I...go down hill.

I get what your saying. Its just a lot harder done than said most times.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• angelpalmangelpalm Dat new persona looking fresh my squigga Joined: Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 8
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Hrm.....trying to fight depression, by drinking a substance that causes depression.......yeah I tried that and it didn't work.

The fact that people think this reply is a joke is really telling.

Drizzt how bad is your drinking bro? Do your hands shake when you are sober? Serious question. Alcohol can be fucking fatal is why I am asking. If you can just ween yourself off of it a little at a time and try and replace it with something else that makes you feel good like some healthy food. Start drinking a shit load more water. Eat a lot less sugar.

Also don' work out too much man. Take it easy on the stressful shit when you are trying to transition your lifestyle.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Dat new persona looking fresh my squigga Joined: Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I would talk to you in discord but that scumbag @raz0r kicked me out lol. actually idk i am just talking shit XD
    You got banned from discord...figures if anyone would get banned it would be you analpalm lool
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

My whole body shakes when I stop drinking. I sweat, I get sick...even though I may not actually have a hangover it always feels like I have a super hangover. I will drink a lot. I'll buy that gallon jug of jack daniels and finish it off in one night. I'm a very sever alcoholic.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,624
    You might need a drastic lifestyle change.
    I'm not you, but as an example, who I am now is a lot different than who I was 5 years ago. Big reason was I dropped my partying, doing drugs, and being surrounded by people that only supported my habits. I haven't drank in 3 years now.

Now I'm focused more than I have been in 10 years of fucking off, and feel like I have genuine ambitions and obtainable goals. That mentality doesn't happen when your in a pattern that has getting shit faced included.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I'm just saying that you need to do some soul searching when your off the sauce and find out what you need to do to get on track. I don't know your situation and maybe you are in far worse shape than I was ever. But I know others that burned bridges, dropped a lot of habits and focused on things that gets the heart going with out the use of substance.
    Good luck
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 979
    edited March 8
    My whole body shakes when I stop drinking. I sweat, I get sick...even though I may not actually have a hangover it always feels like I have a super hangover. I will drink a lot. I'll buy that gallon jug of jack daniels and finish it off in one night. I'm a very sever alcoholic.

you just answered your own cure. I hope you get off that alcohol bro, that shits ruining you, no matter how good of a respite it is for you.
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,870

Aren't you a vet? You should see a VA addiction rep if so. Also, they have pills that prevent alcohol cravings, might want to ask a doctor about them.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,239
    Da Stunna wrote: »
    I found a comment I wrote in the comment box on this thread that was saved from over a year ago but I didn't post it. It was nutritional advice on what to take if you suffer from severe depression. I might not be useful now so I'll delete it.

I don't know where most of you live but the problems I've faced that have caused depression would have been dealt with almost instantly if I lived in America.
    Post it anyway. You never know, it might be of use to somebody.

Sorry for the late response, I forgot that I even posted here. The advice was high dosages of pure "medical grade" cod liver oil, it really helps. I think the purest brand on the market is omacor.
  • dreandrean Joined: Posts: 872
    Currently stuck between feeling like I deserve the terrible situations I get from people, because my illness makes it seemingly impossible to do well in most important areas in life, and feeling angry because I'm doing everything in my known power to be a productive adult again, but I'm still catching shit from other people.

What do SRK?
    edited March 8

This is stupid you need to see a doctor

Chemical dependency is as much physical as it is emotional

Fighting addiction alone is not healthy, also your environment is not conducive to your recovery. I think you said you relapsed due to stress.

There is non-jesus aa, and it is called going to a mental health and seeing your doctor.

You are pretty much poisoning yourself

Get help
    drean wrote: »
    Currently stuck between feeling like I deserve the terrible situations I get from people, because my illness makes it seemingly impossible to do well in most important areas in life, and feeling angry because I'm doing everything in my known power to be a productive adult again, but I'm still catching shit from other people.

What do SRK?

Be a man. Are you working? Do you have insurance? Seek counseling and continue to work hard

It is easy to fall into the abyss of self loathing, working hard is your best bet to escape it
  • dreandrean Joined: Posts: 872
    dab00g wrote: »

This is stupid you need to see a doctor

Chemical dependency is as much physical as it is emotional

Fighting addiction alone is not healthy, also your environment is not conducive to your recovery. I think you said you relapsed due to stress.

There is non-jesus aa, and it is called going to a mental health and seeing your doctor.

You are pretty much poisoning yourself

Get help
    drean wrote: »

What do SRK?

Be a man. Are you working? Do you have insurance? Seek counseling and continue to work hard

It is easy to fall into the abyss of self loathing, working hard is your best bet to escape it
    yep. yep. Been seeking counseling for years now, but I've run into nothing but jackasses along the way.

Healthgrades and yelp are your friends in vetting

The hardest part is trust

Most Buddhist monks and catholic priests have master degrees in psychology and can act as counsel for free

You find a lot less judgement from catholics than you assume
    edited March 8
    Therapist are fuckin expensive. When I lost my insurance I tried to work something out with mine so I could continue to see her. Once a month for 50 bucks was the best she could. Once a month is not enough and I told her that. I thanked her and told her that she was a great therapist and I hope one day to see her again. She said she hopes I don't need to see her again. We both laughed and hugged. I haven't seen her since.

edit - yes its kinda tough. I told this woman the most intimate details of my life. Shit that would scare most of you. And now shes gone. I miss her.
    Post edited by drizzt360 on
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Well you aren't dead (yet)

Maybe you should sleep with a rubber spatula instead of a knife

Nobody is going to murder you except maybe yourself
  • xEGAxBeastkingxxEGAxBeastkingx Sorry about yo damn luck Joined: Posts: 2,310
    So I found myself waking up in the hospital today because I apparently collapsed at work out of nowhere. The doctor came in my room a little bit after I woke up telling me that I was suffering from something called ketoacidoses (sp?) and that I'm in danger of having my legs cut off because my blood levels are literally off the scales. This shit is crazy because I didn't know that I even had diabetes before this. Is anyone here diabetic or have any experience with diabetics that can help me out because I have no idea what to do and I am legit scared as shit right now.
    Gamertag - GDxKingofBeasts
    SFV - Balrog
    Saints | Cardinals | Suns fan
    First off stop eating so shitty

Secondly get blood work done

Get medications

Diet and exercise along with meds is the cure. I am proof of that.

Going undiagnosed tells me a couple things.
    1. You don't go to the doctor
    2. You possibly eat shitty
    3. You are morbidly obese
    4. You just aren't aware

@Dangerous J can help with some baseline diagnosis

But, if you are going to get your legs cut. I wonder how swollen and miscolored they are
  • xEGAxBeastkingxxEGAxBeastkingx Sorry about yo damn luck Joined: Posts: 2,310
    2 and 4 mostly. I've cut down a lot of weight but i still have a ways to go.

Also thats the crazy part. My legs aren't swollen or discolored at all. I just have some excess fat from the weight loss. If anything they look too skinny.
    Gamertag - GDxKingofBeasts
    SFV - Balrog
    Saints | Cardinals | Suns fan
    Booger...I know you dont like me because of what I said in the past. Let it go. Stop posting in this thread dude. Your advice is not sound and you're only in here to start problems...most likely with me. Please stop. You want to talk some shit lets take it to gd and see who gets banned first...if thats what you want. Im sick of your fucking bullshit most of the time but in this thread...its not cool, dude. Kick rocks. No harm. Just go.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Um, there isn't any wrong with what dude is saying lol. Shit he is even asking someone with a medical background to help you out. Stop being a punk.
    edited March 9
    I think your an asshole analpalm...he's a dick. there is a difference.

edit - he comes wrong. Not with that feeling of "Im trying to help". He comes with that "Ima fuck with you" kinda help. That nigga needs to go fuck himself.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

How is he fucking with you? Like explain your thought process cause this could give us some more insight.....

Honestly I think that liquor got you producing too much estrogen cause you acting like a bitch right now.
    Angelpalm is saying you're paranoid its not not as bad as it seems. You're misreading his message...
    Its hard to get motivated. Lately my best release is playing fighting games on fightcade. Its fun and completely distracts me. But it only last so long. I work out every morning. I really do try to keep myself distracted but sometimes nothing works and I...go down hill.

I get what your saying. Its just a lot harder done than said most times.

I know there have been a few posts since this but I just want to go back to it.

You're not dead yet, what that tells me is that you want to live. That tells me that you've already made a choice even if you don't realise it. Now there are two ways of going about things, there are constructive ones, and destructive ones. Destructive thoughts and attitudes don't build anything, they just tear shit down, you need to think constructively if you're going to find the motivation you need to fix things. At the end of the day no matter what people say to you, you're the only one that can make the changes. I know it's hard, but it is that simple, simple doesn't mean easy but if you're going to hang around you've just gotta do it. It's like when the place is a mess, you can put off cleaning it but in the end it's just going to take you longer and cost more than if you just stay on top of it. Right now you're in that expensive stage as you've let shit get out of control but once you start clearing a path through the mess you're going to find it easier to maintain it man, you just need to start by cutting out the things that are destructive in your life like the drinking and finding some constructive, positive outlets like hobbies. Hell man, get a puppy and take it for walks, there's a lot you can do.
    I'm speaking from experience here as well man. As little as a few years ago I was as depressed as can be. A lot of those posts probably aren't still around as they were on the old version of the forum but believe me, they were there and I burnt bridges in other communities with my own destructive behaviour as I felt it was too hard to help myself so I was always looking to others to do it for me. In the end though I got my shit together by doing the kind of stuff I've said to you. Since then I'm earning more at work, I've managed to travel more and recently I got engaged to the girl I've been seeing the last eighteen months. Life's as good as I can ever remember it being. It took me a long while to get on the right path but by doing the kind of shit I've said and approaching things in that manner I've done it.
  • highluluhighlulu Joined: Posts: 3,725
    edited March 10
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    It's not meaningless when people say to stay positive. As someone that has overcome depression I used to use the whole, "it's not that simple," spiel to justify the way I felt all the time but I came to a realisation that it actually is that simple. Just hear me out. Simple doesn't mean easy. Chess is a simple enough game to learn but that doesn't mean it's easy to beat a grandmaster. The key really is just thinking positive, it's just hard. Whenever you think negative thoughts you just need to find a way to shut them down. When you think positive thoughts instead of shutting them down with negative ones just let them spin around a bit, embrace it a little. Over time it works. There's nothing wrong with feeling sad, you need some balance as you don't want to be totally full of yourself and inconsiderate of others but thinking positive and just telling yourself positive things really is a good way to get better. Maybe the only way. That doesn't mean it's easy.

This is something that took me a long time to learn and incorporate into my day to day. Only through months of therapy could i get myself to focus more on positive moments during my days and less on the negative. I personally tend to spiral in 1 direction or the other with my emotions, if i'm taking the time to tell friends/family or whoever about just the negatives in my day my entire outlook on life gets gradually more negative, on the flipside if i take the few moments out of my day to share even tiny positive interactions or victories i start to find it easier to find more of those positives out of my days and also easier to let the bad things go.

It's almost the strangest thing but in a lot of ways, despite being in a very difficult time in my life, i'm happier than i have been in a long time. Moved into a new place (friends of my parents) which is much cleaner than the apartment i was living at, got my contracting hours up for billable hours for the month and i don't feel like i'm completely drowning, and while grieving me and my roommates' (the one that passed more recently) gf got really close and started to date... for better or for worse we are just going for it.

stay strong, stay positive and good things can happen
    dab00g wrote: »
    Going undiagnosed tells me a couple things.
    1. You don't go to the doctor
    2. You possibly eat shitty
    3. You are morbidly obese
    4. You just aren't aware

as someone who didn't get diagnosed with kidney failure till my kidneys were down to a pathetic 20% function (and because my BP got taken for my medical weed card) i would also add that lots of people were just raised to walk it off so to speak. Here i was gaining weight despite eating well and excersizing and just ASSUMING i wasn't doing enough and that i was more out of shape than i thought etc... i was stubborn as hell.

Now i strongly suggest to everyone i know and care about to get a blood test or doc visit in at least once every 6 months even if you feel 100% healthy, or if you tell yourself your 100% healthy
    Post edited by highlulu on
    Umvc3 - (Nova/Frank/Dante) (Nova/Spencer/Strange) (Zero/Doom/Vergil)
    SF4 - Cammy, Ken
    Ok, so maybe i'm being an asshole because of the past things with Booger (and the fact that I just kinda dislike him, dunno why either). I apologize.

I woke up feeling good today. Like everything was right. Left my room and that all went crashing down. I fuckin' hate where I live. But, its either this or my broken car.

-Drizzt Do'Urden

Just make the best of it man, if something bothers you that is fixable, fix it, it will do you more harm leaving it. If your place is really a mess and it's part of why you feel down just move some stuff about, clean things, arrange stuff, turf stuff that never gets used and probably never will get used. You have control over your life man even when it sometimes feels like you don't.
    You could not imagine the disarray this house was in before I came here. 6 months hard labor to clean it up somewhat. Everyone here does their best to trash the place. I mean, dude, my roommate said "how do you keep a kitchen clean every day". WTF? Clean that shit you lazy motherfucker jerk off.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

You sound very manic

Get diagnosed bitch
    I thnkn I told y'all motherfuckers my diagnosis

I'ma send you a nasty pm booger...prepare yourself
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Drizzt if your living conditions are truly unfixable and are absolutely doing your head in, move on man, you gotta. If you can't move on, you need to find a way to improve them, if that's getting out more, do it, things can be hard but hard isn't the same as impossible, very few things are truly impossible. Brainstorm man, get creative, without living your life or knowing more about your life there is only so much advice I can give you but if something is truly bothering you, blaming it without doing something about it wont fix anything it will just build more negative feelings.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,624
    Yeah, sounds like your in an environment that isn't helping but possibly be a factor to your problems. I knew several people that one of the key solutions to getting better was a change of place. One dude left the islands of Hawaii to start a new either in Cali or Wyoming, I forgot. He went couch to couch and did odd jobs until he got settled in New Mexico doing some kind of construction career where he's finally content and happy with his life.

Drastic times might call for drastic measures but only if you can positvely obtain that there is some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. Life isn't all equal for everyone, some are lucky, or should I say a very minority of people on this earth, while the majority of us all have to deal with some shit at different levels. We all got problems and as long as you know that its very possible to over come what ever you have to deal with and move forward, you can succeed and find happiness.
    A lot of people get content and comfortable with their living situations even at the risk of being in a downward spiral at least they know how the day will flow

Not necessarily saying you have to move out

Getting out of the funk is as "simple" as finding a job. Any kind of job.

If you find your way to the fields and pick cabbage or even work at arby's
    edited March 10
    I would really love to move. I need a job first. I've been applying all over (you gotta do it online most of the time now). An 8 year blank mark on your resume/application does not...its not a good look. I keep trying though. I just want a job, not even so I can move out, just so I have something to do every day.

It just seems like im stuck here. I bet if I got a job that feeling would go away over time.

edit - I been kind of a dick lately. Since Ive lived here I smoked outside. My friends mom comes to live/stay here and she smokes in "her" room. Fuck that shit! If she dont pay shit and can smoke anything in that room then im going to smoke in my room when I want. I pay for living in this motherfucker. The day she starts to pay (or if the slumlord tells me) I'll stop smoking in my room.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Work definitely helps man but even then it can cause more stress. Just stay humble, seem positive, seem eager, seem like the kind of guy that will give his 100% every day and not say boo.

Also man, don't wait on job agencies and don't think anything is below you. Nothing stops you looking for work while you have a job, seriously, print out a resume or CV or whatever where you live and just bang on the door of every place that might hire you. Do it again in a couple of weeks, if they get used to your face and something pops up they'll likely give you a yell. It's true that there aren't enough jobs out there currently for everyone that wants full-time work but not everyone that wants one wants one in the same kind of way. I've been unemployed before and managed to fix it when I really put my mind to it.
    Unemployment drove me further into depression

Full disclosure about 4 years ago i left a cushy hospital job to work insurance because they paid more and i would be just checking work this was righr when cali moved all poor people to medi-cal

So for 6 months it was meetings about numbers and deadlines and i hated lfe. Then once they brought everyone over to medi-cal they laid off everybody they had hired before the 6 month mark so everybody was still on probation

This lead to me being pissed that i left my cushy job, betrayed, and afraid looking for a new spot so i got into the va after about 3 months of worrying and thank god i was living with family because i would have gone even crazier.

The office work stressed me out so much that i went to seek therapy for my stress and to this day i see that same therapist because it helps me just deal with life.

Work related stress and depression are real and instead of wilding out or keeping it in. I talk to my therapist.

Being unemployed is a shitty feeling. Especially after busting your ass for that company.

Thank god i got this fed job 4 years ago because i don't think they'll be hiring the next 4 years
    The only people I've ever met that are happy without a job are super rich kids.
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,456
    Thus far, I've failed two exams while struggling with a class, and recently I've been rejected by the art program at my university. It made me realize I have no skills, valuable qualities or backup plans, so I gave myself three options: either reapply, settle for English, or drop out and kill myself. I decided that if I have nothing to offer to the world, I shouldn't be in it.

Also most likely ended a friendship with my best friend. As of lately, I've been taking my stress out on him and others and last night I apologized to him. He said, "It's cool idk, I guess I'll have to stop taking it then haha", and I responded that I'm breaking off for a while because I didn't want to be a dark cloud around him and decided I didn't matter. I think it's for the best that I'm gone.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    You just have no discipline. Failing exams while you're a humanities major tells the tale.
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,456
    edited March 19
    It's not even just that. As of lately, I haven't properly been focusing and my Spanish professor recommended a tutor which I declined because I hate asking for help. I asked my best friend for help since it's his major but considering we don't see each other that often, attend different schools, and have different schedules, there's no point in asking.

Right now I don't know if it's just best if I just cut off my friendships altogether if I'm going to keep sabotaging them, or just don't contacting them altogether for a while.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."