TE2 Crossbone - Electrical mods made significantly easier for the Madcatz TE2

PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming!Joined: Posts: 3,477
edited October 2014 in Tech Talk
Crossbone-Logo-Color-300x187.png

The T.E.2 Crossbone is designed to give the same compatibility styling as the regular Crossbone, giving you the ability to easily hack your xbox one compatible PCB into a cross compatible system. The main difference being that this one is designed specifically for the Madcatz TE2, which currently is the only arcade stick available for the Xbox One, and a damn fine one at that.

Why?
This is the main question, since the TE2 is designed to be as moddable as possible, yet electrically it's pretty unmoddable in the classic sense. You can't simply connect another PCB to it's inputs, as they are not exactly compliant with the standard you see in most setups. To put it simply, it's not "common ground," which means that all of the I/O being used in the mod do not have a return path to ground but instead have a return path to a common signal that is far harder to work with.

The exact reasoning/setup of the TE2 is hard to describe, so I won't go into detail here, but suffice it to say that simply connecting to the PCBs signals won't work straight up. You need a middle man to bridge that gap, and that's where the TE2 Crossbone comes in.

IMG_0088-300x225.jpg
Top Side

IMG_0092-300x225.jpg
Bottom Side

The design is very simple. You remove the plastic enclosure surrounding the PCB and remove all of the ribbon cables, plug the TE2 Crossbone into the original PCB and then put the ribbon cables back into place. The original button harness goes to the spot labeled BUTTON HARNESS, and a double ended ribbon cable goes to a position labeled PCB HARNESS and gets plugged into the spot the harness originally went.

IMG_0090-225x300.jpg
Button Harness position, the button wire harness goes here

IMG_0091-225x300.jpg
PCB Harness position, the included ribbon cable gets plugged in here and the other end into the original harness position.

The board uses the "switch" input, located in the top right of the PCB to swap to the broken out points. You can put this to a physical switch, or in your dual system setup... any input you wish. The board will not swap or be able to use the secondary inputs without this so it's very important that you control/use this. This input simply needs to be grounded upon plug in to the system to swap over, it can be released afterward.

I tried to think of a way to automate the swap, but ultimately it removed a lot of control from the user and could cause unwanted states if drivers for PC are released.

IMG_0089-225x300.jpg

The board is equipped with a data signal switch ability, and allows you to utilize the original USB connection for a one cable setup.
USB OUT = Outbound USB connection (I.E. The cable)
XB1 IN = The Xbox One PCB's USB signals
SYS. 2 = The secondary system you wish to use (I.E. PS360+, Cerberus, Cthulu, etc.)

The system will default to Xbox One usage, and can swap to the secondary system via the "Switch" input, which is described a bit more above. The "Invert" solder jumper allows you to invert the primary system, making it so that SYS. 2 is on by default, and XB1 will be the swapped to system when "Switch" is utilized.

The signals are broken out into 3.5mm screw terminal/solder positions, and also a 20P header that matches the PS360+ for ribbon cable usage. However, due to the height limitations of the TE2 you should be aware that you need to actually run the cable/headers on the underside of the board. I'll show this in the installation section.

If you haven't quite gathered it, this mod DOES require soldering. While fairly easy, if you aren't comfortable with this you should consult your nearest modder/steady solder hand. I've tried to make the important solder points as large as possible for ease of use.

Installation (start to finish with a PS360+)

Step 1.
Remove the plastic casing of the PCB, and it helps to remove the cover on the START and SELECT area to give you more slack while you work.

Step 2.
Disconnect the green and white USB wires from the Xbox One PCB, strip and tin them. At this point it's also a good idea to solder a couple of small wires to the D+ and D- signals on the XB1 PCB.

Disconnect ONLY the D+/D- (green and white) wires, leave the red (vcc), black (ground), and yellow (shield) wires alone. This is to ensure power flows correctly in the mod and that shielding is retained on the USB.

prep1-225x300.jpg

Step 3.
Align the TE2 Crossbone with the original PCB, and press down until it bottoms out. To effectively get pressure, you should press on the black shrouded headers, do NOT press towards the bottom area of the board since there's really no support and could cause damage from the bending.

IMG_0097-225x300.jpg
IMG_0098-225x300.jpg

Step 4.
Solder the USB cable's wires to the USB OUT signals. Then solder the Xbox One PCB's D- and D+ signals to the XB1 IN points.

prep2-225x300.jpg

Step 5.
Now we are going to do a fast sanity check to ensure everything is nicely connected and is playing well.

Put the included ribbon cable in place. One end to the PCB Harness position, and one end to the original place the button harness went. It will lock into place once fully engaged. Put all the other cables back into place.

testit-225x300.jpg

Ignore the Switch wire and header already soldered in the picture, but now plug it into your PC/XB1 and verify real quick that everything boots as normal and your inputs register.

Step 6.
In this installation I will use the 20P header, otherwise you could simply run the inputs however you choose but for demonstrative purposes this is best.

Install/solder the 20P headers to the underside of both PCBs, and connect the ribbon cables. It's OK if you need to uproot the TE2 Crossbone to do this, just put it down back in place afterward.

IMG_0106-225x300.jpg

Step 7.
I use the RJ45 cable assembly add-ons that are sold with the PS360+ for ease of use. You only need positions 5 and 6, which are D- and D+ respectively. Run those to the SYS. 2 positions on the TE2 Crossbone.

IMG_0107-225x300.jpg
IMG_0108-225x300.jpg

Step 8.
Run the "Switch" input to your choice of button to use. I chose "Home" since the PS360+ does not use that as any sort of forced mode.

IMG_0109-225x300.jpg

Step 9.
Finalize the install by putting the included ribbon cable in place. One end to the PCB Harness position, and one end to the original place the button harness went. It will lock into place once fully engaged.

IMG_0103-225x300.jpg

Step 10.
Put everything else back into place.

IMG_0110-225x300.jpg

Step 11.
Close it up. You'll find that the plastic housing for the PCB will no longer be able to be used, but you can manage the wires better than I can probably. Just make sure the closed top doesn't hit anything, and you're good to go.

IMG_0111-300x225.jpg

Testing

Step 1.
Plug it into your PC with nothing held down, you should get an error but still a description that "controller" or "fightstick" was there but not recognized. Alternatively you can test on your Xbox One immediately, but PC is always the best feedback, since it'll tell if you have power surges, etc. This will be very useful with PC drivers when they are released.

Step 2.
Unplug and replug with your "switch" input held down, the PC should read that the PS360+ is being used. Open up the controller properties and verify your inputs all register.

Install w/ PS360+ tutorial, by Lemony Vengeance

Post edited by Phreakazoid on
Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html

Comments

• MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod
    Congrats on announcing this! I'll be the first to ask for everyone viewing this thread now.

Availability?
  • TRUEB7UETRUEB7UE The Once and Future King Joined: Posts: 359
    Awesome work Phreakazoid!! Which consoles does this support exactly (sorry, out of the modder loop)?
    Twitter: @I_B_V_K_I
    CFN: MINUSTHEFIGHTER
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,415
    TRUEB7UE wrote: »
    Awesome work Phreakazoid!! Which consoles does this support exactly (sorry, out of the modder loop)?
    Well the TE2 only works on the Xbox One

The PS360+ supports PS3, Xbox 360, PS2/PS1, and the Dreamcast

So the finished mod with all the parts stated can support all the mentioned consoles.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • slash5150slash5150 Naptime? Joined: Posts: 3,616 mod
    SOLD!!!
    I Stream Stuff! - http://twitch.tv/teamkhaos
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968

This new board doesn't contain any native console support, just see it as an adapter to make the TE2 pcb 'common ground' and easily hackable. You will still need to add the relevant console pcb to it, like a PS360+
  • TRUEB7UETRUEB7UE The Once and Future King Joined: Posts: 359
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Well the TE2 only works on the Xbox One

The PS360+ supports PS3, Xbox 360, PS2/PS1, and the Dreamcast

So the finished mod with all the parts stated can support all the mentioned consoles.

Ah that's what I thought the PS360+ board did, fucking sweet.

Consider me sold.

Twitter: @I_B_V_K_I
    CFN: MINUSTHEFIGHTER
  • bgmk100bgmk100 Joined: Posts: 81
    edited April 2014
    Three questions:

Does the PS360 come with the ribbon cable that is soldered to the 20pin connection (I know that the rj45 harness is a paid add-on at focusattack)?

Which leads to my next question how does the PS360 receive power? From what I've seen only the data connections have solder points to the Crossbone and PS360, yet vcc and ground are untouched on the PS360.

Finally will the extra pcbs be able to use the LEDs from the TE2 or only in X1 mode?
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,452
    Saw you mention this on Twitter last night.
    Holy crap Clayton you are on FIRE! As if TE2s aren't flying off the shelves as-is already.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • jwyderjwyder Joined: Posts: 59
    Plus with PS4 Support for the PS360+ makes this an all in one!!! Awesome work Phreakazoid!!!!
  • major pwnedmajor pwned Joined: Posts: 61
    I'm throwing money at my computer, but nothing is happening! But in all seriousness when and how much will it be when it comes out.
  • lolmarklolmark Joined: Posts: 234
    Will the Crossbone work on the Xbox One pad?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,418
    Very nice, I'm sure these will sell like hotcakes- particularly if Akishop takes a long time (or is unable to) adding Xbone support to the PS360+. The TE2 has a really cool case, I'm baffled as to why they fucked it up with a non common ground PCB.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,768
    Phreak really did it for the kids.

Nice work, man. :tup:
    Very nice, I'm sure these will sell like hotcakes- particularly if Akishop takes a long time (or is unable to) adding Xbone support to the PS360+. The TE2 has a really cool case, I'm baffled as to why they fucked it up with a non common ground PCB.

I think I read that MarkMan said that the problem was more with MS and less with Madcatz this time around. I could be wrong though.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • Shaolin SamuraiShaolin Samurai /u/ALotter you a bitch Joined: Posts: 50
    Awesome work!!
  • gsxtacygsxtacy Killa Cam Joined: Posts: 1,552
    take my money please
    TVG: "Cammy is top tier and fuck you fuck you fuck you.

I hate the bitch. "
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,452
    I strolled into my local FutureShop (for those who don't know, it's basically Canada's Best Buy, bought out by Best Buy, even though we ALSO have Best Buy around here). Saw a KI TE2 on the shelves. Was THIS tempted to throw the $200 for it because of this add-on PCB.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod
    Saw you mention this on Twitter last night.
    Holy crap Clayton you are on FIRE! As if TE2s aren't flying off the shelves as-is already.

Seriously, we sold out of the KI versions prior to receiving them with each shipment. Now that this is available, the core/hardcore community will have another reason to pick it up. I have to tip my hat to @Phreakazoid‌ for his work!

• iAmDjFLiPiAmDjFLiP Joined: Posts: 209
    indeed this is awesome!

so are there any TE2 specials for NCR?
    please say you do, even if it's not the KI one!

you both can pretty much have my wallet! lol
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    You win for the name alone, Clayton.
    -ud
    ^ Cute name huh? ;)
  • ExpectednachoExpectednacho Joined: Posts: 9
    when can we get it?!! anytime soon..!! or summer 2014 or fall 2014 plz.. give me a date u.u!!!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,415
    when can we get it?!! anytime soon..!! or summer 2014 or fall 2014 plz.. give me a date u.u!!!
    This isn't a huge corporation or a industrial firm making these, its one guy in his home making them on evenings and weekends.

"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    I'd bet on sooner rather than later. ;)
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    I spent some time on RFQ things last night. Just need to get this setup beta tested when I'm not ultra sick. Expect a release in like May at the latest.

No price ETA, double sided assembly + lots of connectors probably have this match the Crossbone @ $30 though, less in bulk of course. Could swing less, but I'm not quite sure and just err'ing on the side of caution.

Oh yeah - huge nod to MarkMan for the board line name assist. Love it.
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    I am crimping those ribbon cables by hand though lol.
    lol when you said ultra sick, the word ULLTTTRRAAA came in my head hah.
    But I do hope you feel better as you bust your butt off!

And I think this would've been the best time to have that intern/helper of yours!
  • ogrebitesogrebites Joined: Posts: 219
    I actually feel okay buying a TE2 now. Really didn't want to get one because of the Xbox One only compatibility but this definitely opens up the door for me. Awesome job @Phreakazoid‌
    BlazBlue ^.^ When's Under Night?? ~Melty Blood~
  • ed1371ed1371 Yogahh Joined: Posts: 1,522
    very very nice phreak! cant wait
    why crimp when you can solder??

PSN: Nippage
  • CcTrustCcTrust Joined: Posts: 12
    hows it looking? almost available?
    No, it'll be a little bit. Should finally get a quote for production today or tomorrow. You will likely see this available early June, maaaaaybe end of May if I can push it.
    No, it'll be a little bit. Should finally get a quote for production today or tomorrow. You will likely see this available early June, maaaaaybe end of May if I can push it.

Sounds great. If you need someone to help test and what not, I am definitely down sir!

• ollidabollidab Joined: Posts: 17

Awesome! BTW I'd preorder if the option was available :D

• Lipe_SanLipe_San Joined: Posts: 126
    is it weird if I say that this gave me a boner?
  • JRXP2010JRXP2010 Joined: Posts: 64
    I've been waiting for this thing for a bit. Glad to hear is getting closer to release.
    Yeah it'll be June, I need to push out one more prototype to test out some new layout/configuration options that I want to explore. Trying to wrap that up tonight and get it out in the wild before EVO so people can prep.
    Yeah it'll be June, I need to push out one more prototype to test out some new layout/configuration options that I want to explore. Trying to wrap that up tonight and get it out in the wild before EVO so people can prep.

If you need help/testing my te2 is ready!

edited May 2014
    woo can't wait!

hope you saw the image I posted above to show you how my body sticks are ready!

edit: I posted it on the other crossbone thread so I'm reposting the pic here lol sorry!
    14003481287_aef7f0dc94_z.jpg
    XB1 stick
    by iamdjflip
    Phreakazoid any chance you might add connections to install a 2x10pin header for the Cthulhu in the next prototype? I love the compact install using a ribbon cable with the ps360+ but I need support for retro consoles.
    I just ordered it last night, so unfortunately no. Really though you could still use the 20P, you'd just need to split/solder the ends to the cthulu's header area and it would still be pretty compact.

edited May 2014
    That's what I was planning on doing at first. Really not a fan of screw terminals. I checked and you have to cross a few wire so I might sleeve it to give it that sleek look. Can't wait till you have a final product, really a great service to the community your doing :D

Edit:
    The crossbone only work as a switch when it's concerned with which board to use, right? So if I were to use a neutrik connector I can connect what would be the two usb data pins to the crossbone output and the rest of the pins to the other PCB and everything would work out of the neutrik connector.

Edit (5/22/2014):

Doesn't look half bad, still needs heat shrink and to be crimped but still.
    uv79ZPV.jpg?1
    Post edited by ollidab on
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,829
    Pretty sure you would need dual usb and ethernet output options
    I don't think you can just forgo 2 pins of the cthulhu output and expect it to work

I would use PS360+/TE2 USB out from the USB and drill a hole for the cthulhu ethernet
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    edited May 2014
    The 2 pins from the cthulu ethernet would be conected to sys2 and then the output conected to the ethernet. (with the rest of the pins from the cthulu) If it really does only work as a swiitch and doesn't manipulate the data there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't.

Edit/correction: I'd also have to connect VCC and GND to the USB out.
    edited May 2014
    ollidab wrote: »
    That's what I was planning on doing at first. Really not a fan of screw terminals. I checked and you have to cross a few wire so I might sleeve it to give it that sleek look. Can't wait till you have a final product, really a great service to the community your doing :D

Edit:
    The crossbone only work as a switch when it's concerned with which board to use, right? So if I were to use a neutrik connector I can connect what would be the two usb data pins to the crossbone output and the rest of the pins to the other PCB and everything would work out of the neutrik connector.

In theory, yeah, it would work just like doing the older imp + MCC + padhack installs where the USB signals of the RJ45 routed through the signal switch while the others ran directly to the MCC, of course linking the VCC and GND between all boards.

The chips on the board should handle lower voltages of legacy consoles, down to 3.0v (they better, they're more expensive buggers due to the increased voltage range), but I haven't tested it out fully yet, only with USB/5V. With how the board functions, the lower voltage may affect the TE2 PCB, but the Crossbone's design should isolate things if it does.

Hmm, if people are interested in it I could drum up a same style of PCB, just not in this format to bridge non-CG boards to the normal systems. Not sure how much that's really run into these days though.
    edited May 2014
    I guess I could consider a step-up voltage regulator to maintain 5V 1A if I run into any problems.
    Thanks Phreakazoid.

EDIT:
    Hmm, if people are interested in it I could drum up a same style of PCB, just not in this format to bridge non-CG boards to the normal systems. Not sure how much that's really run into these days though.

I don't think there would be a lot of demand for this. Most people are probably just gonna use this for consoles from the seventh generation and up.
    Post edited by ollidab on
  • CcTrustCcTrust Joined: Posts: 12
    how's it looking :D
    edited June 2014
    CcTrust wrote: »
    how's it looking :D

Final prototype is in, parts to build it should be delivered today. Once I build it tonight and verify something I'll put in a purchase order to the factory. They've assured me that if I order in the soon'ish time frame that mid-end of June completion is possible, just in time for EVO. They better, I'm going to be on them about this build.. they screwed me on the pad Crossbone and they know it.

Edit:
    To clarify, my final changes are the following:
    Moved the 20P header area far to the left... currently if you put a 2x10 header in place it hits the JLF gate, so moving it to the left should avoid that and cause less problems overall.
    Added a jumper to allow the LED button panel to be active when in non-xb1 mode. Currently they only function on the native system. This isn't controllable, they'll be full blast, but they will be active. You don't want them? simply leave the solder jumper alone. That is what I'm going to be testing out tonight to ensure there's no surprises when doing this.

Looks like the final pricing will be $35. The double sided assembly is (as always) more expensive, but the killer is connectors... always the most expensive part on a board I tells ya.

Once these and the other Crossbones are finally out, and perhaps after EVO, I will try and adjust the Cerberus firmware to allow for an autodetection when used with the Crossbone... either version.
  • TRiXWoNTRiXWoN Solder Soldier in the 6 Button Army Joined: Posts: 1,070
    10/10 will buy
    ::Mod till your heart's content::
    Count me in!
    Still in for one :D hope you get this soon