Kuroda Interview by Shueisha's Weekly Playboy Magazine

NightoYNightoY Joined: Posts: 78
Something interesting I found recently on a FB 3S group (3rd Strike Junkies) showing an FT10 between Kuroda (MAK) and VANAO (RY). Besides, there is an interview (in Japanese), it will be good if someone can translate it for us here, it seems that there is a lot to know about what made him so pasionate about 3S.

http://wpb.shueisha.co.jp/2014/05/09/29941/

FT10 is here :

Part1:

Part2:

PSN ID / XBLA ID / GGPO / Fighcade / CFV : NightoY
3S : RY/KE/AL/EL/CH
SFV : Laura

Comments

• AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    Kuroda's Makoto is pretty interesting to see. He plays her in a reserved way which you don't often see from high level Mak's.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • NightoYNightoY Joined: Posts: 78
    edited May 2014
    I found his Makoto better than Tominaga's one (just to compare with the current best Makoto SA2). He keeps his own play style (very strong defense, excellent execution) while adding more aggressiveness with the special grab.

Now this being said, I think the interview is more interesting :p
    PSN ID / XBLA ID / GGPO / Fighcade / CFV : NightoY
    3S : RY/KE/AL/EL/CH
    SFV : Laura
  • pootnanniespootnannies Homework Fighter V Joined: Posts: 3,034
    holy shit at those psychic fukiages...
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • DanderDander BANNED Joined: Posts: 7,213
    Think of the fight as being stuck within a circle with your opponent. You can move the fight but you cannot leave the fight or else you forfeit honor. That is how it is possible for those fukiages.

what I generally see the average player do in the situations where kuroda gets the psychic fukiage is that they leave the circle and choose to simply find a way to survive instead of continue with honor. What I mean by they leave the circle is that instead of facing the challenge and defeating it with something new , they challenge with what he anticipated and boom.

ps. Something to do against the difficult to parry fukiages is flying hitbox ( light attacks ) or falling hitbox ( attack that has most negative offset and causes a drop in altitude ). I say this because most of the difficult to parry fukiages are the ones where you like try to parry her as she's winding up and where you try to parry at a particular marginal angle. So, anywhere but center. With the two techniques described above you will either be too much ball and hit makoto out of it, too small and it'll miss, or you'll fall back down too low for her to hit. I haven't tested this yet I'm just sharing some experience.

8tROOXi.png
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,627
    vanao usin my color.
    namijin 4 lyfe.

thanks for the link.
    Play more.
  • ryan.ryan. Joined: Posts: 1,916
    Tebbo. Check out the last maniax tourney. Namijin played so sick in prelims
    edited May 2014
    oh fuck thanks for the heads up :D
    he has been in and out of a few things in the last year or so which is pretty awesome to see.

nice job btw! i saw your name and lold.
    thats why you knew namijin was playing. you were there and played him.
    Play more.
  • Fran3SFran3S Joined: Posts: 790
    nice

but vanao shouldn't be allowed to choose "diamond ryu"
    https://www.youtube.com/user/FranThirdStrike

~ look at all those people walking by , not realizing how close they are to greatness ~
    ~ poor yun , jungle urien ~
    ~ they have zero points in riki's mind ~
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,420
    Not enough baby blue and black Ryu's. Both awesome colors
  • Fran3SFran3S Joined: Posts: 790
    well,i use "first communion" ryu in super x (hp) and it's undeniably super stylish
    problem is,that outfit just doesn't look right in 3rd strike (lp mk hp)
    only magu is a fan and we all know that "magu is kinda wild"

so you're left with dash / ce ryu (mp) , super x (lp) or diamond
    i don't like baby blue,sorry denjizz

ken and chun got the best wardrobes . . .

https://www.youtube.com/user/FranThirdStrike

~ look at all those people walking by , not realizing how close they are to greatness ~
    ~ poor yun , jungle urien ~
    ~ they have zero points in riki's mind ~
    Yun has sick colors!

Lol at first communion
    i do like the grey with purple.
    if only because its super strange
    Play more.
  • hisogahisoga Joined: Posts: 59
    is kuroda talking about kof 97 and kof 98?
    These videos are helping improve my japanese ^_____^
    8tROOXi.png
    I learn Japanese by watching JAV.

;_; "

Dander.
    Bas on facebook is literally either drinks with friends, off of work, new card for cammy to see if maybe now he likes the game, sf4 scrub masher game, o(`ω´ )o
    8tROOXi.png
    97 Has a rep for being one of the most broken but fun of the KOF titles. I wonder if he mained Terry.

;_; "

Dander.
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX C.JACKOBE > David Sirloin Joined: Posts: 17,426
    edited May 2014
    Tebbo wrote: »
    i do like the grey with purple.
    if only because its super strange
    That's the 2P color from the WW SNES days, right? URDLYB(I always pressed A too. YBA) Mirror match now possible!

Yeah, some old ones transferred to SF3 didn't look as good. Palette editing could fix some of that, maybe?

& Roundhouse is the most sick. You don't want a clean white gi with blue streaks in your hair.
    Knowledge built up in that brown one like you hear for belts. Gets darker as you get better/learn more.
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

but ultradavid said this matchup is 9-1 makoto.
    'it's kuroda' isn't an excuse.

an acceptable excuse is 'this is third strike.'
    thanks for the links hismit :)
    Play more.
  • HarmoNazHarmoNaz SBO5 Team UK Joined: Posts: 1,395
    edited June 2014
    PEE PEE
    SF4 = scrub fighter 4, jab fighter 4, turtle fighter 4, mash fighter 4, down back fighter 4, shite fucker 4. To think a SUPER version is on its way... :crybaby: EDIT - Stop living in a cave - ULTRA version on the way. EDIT - Its dying. 3s standing strong(er)
    Q vs Mak isn't his worst matchup. It's just an American urban legend.
    ya that was my point.
    american urban legend lol
    Play more.
    ryan. wrote: »

Yeah, Alex is clearly his worst matchup. Am I right fellas? High five!

;_; "

Dander.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,878 mod
    I dunno, when I watch TM vs Mimora it looks pretty bad

either way exciting to see more from king kuroda
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865
    edited June 2014

Yeah, Alex is clearly his worst matchup. Am I right fellas? High five!

Nope.

Alex gets him in the corner but he's not nearly as scary as Makoto.
    Post edited by aku on
  • DiegoBoyDiegoBoy Joined: Posts: 174
    Do I remember Kuroda losing SBO to this matchup? Yeah I think around 09.. To a Boss maybe..
  • Hol HorseHol Horse a.k.a. Fugo ~ イタリアの強大なユリアン Joined: Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Might not be the worst matchup but I don't see how this isn't an uphill battle for Q. Great set anyways!!
    DiegoBoy wrote: »
    Do I remember Kuroda losing SBO to this matchup? Yeah I think around 09.. To a Boss maybe..

it was vs Momochi.
    gooby plz
  • gameinn2gameinn2 Joined: Posts: 93
    Yeah I can't tell if it's the matchup vs Makoto or that the regular players of Japan have caught up to Kuroda. I'd definitely like to see a new FT10 that most people generally agree is 5-5 before I come to any rash conclusions.
  • NAPNAP Joined: Posts: 1,812
    I was under the impression that he plays more SF4 than 3S these days anyway. Maybe it's a combo of being rusty and other players catching up.
    gameinn2 wrote: »
    Yeah I can't tell if it's the matchup vs Makoto or that the regular players of Japan have caught up to Kuroda. I'd definitely like to see a new FT10 that most people generally agree is 5-5 before I come to any rash conclusions.

You can clearly see from the matches that the things Kuroda does are inhuman. The matchup is difficult and tominaga is no slouch. The way tominaga plays is very janken (rps) and played keep away.

No ones caught up to him lol
    Wow, he played Samurai Shodown too, eh? I wonder if he played V SP which is the fixed version of the V. WTF is up with the Hanzo's player's name there?

;_; "

Dander.
    Kuroda doesn't play the nerve game. That was what made him my favorite player from the start. He doesn't throw you off your game, he's just really good at his.
    8tROOXi.png
  • gameinn2gameinn2 Joined: Posts: 93
    Dander wrote: »
    Kuroda doesn't play the nerve game. That was what made him my favorite player from the start. He doesn't throw you off your game, he's just really good at his.

I have to disagree. The impression I always got that he is mostly always playing the nerve and mind games with his opponent. He'll sit most of the match in the corner holding down back. To me that's like saying "I'm just gonna sit in the corner and no matter what you pull, I'm gonna get you for it. You may as well walk away".
  • TiredOceanTiredOcean Low-tier theory fighter Joined: Posts: 134
    re: Kuroda playing the nerve game. IIRC Deemo once complained that Kuroda's gameplay (in reference to his Akuma DVD) was basically him red parrying everything into full punish. In that sense Kuroda doesn't take risks, his opponents do (at least in 3S).
    Of course that one DVD might not be representative of his playstyle but whatever.
    edited June 2014

You can clearly see from the matches that the things Kuroda does are inhuman. The matchup is difficult and tominaga is no slouch. The way tominaga plays is very janken (rps) and played keep away.

No ones caught up to him lol

How is it clear besides that he's winning? I see him doing well timed things that could exist if you just studied your opponents reasoning. Do you know if any of the top players have things like applications to help them figure these kinds of things out? I know Kuroda says he studies frame data a lot, or did, maybe you've heard s

I have to disagree. The impression I always got that he is mostly always playing the nerve and mind games with his opponent. He'll sit most of the match in the corner holding down back. To me that's like saying "I'm just gonna sit in the corner and no matter what you pull, I'm gonna get you for it. You may as well walk away".

That is not a nerve game. A nerve game is forcing your opponent to lose focus of the match and keeping them there, out of the match. I agree that Kuroda is full blown mind game and once again I'll explain that that is one of the reasons I enjoy his play. Kuroda will not tick grab you 7 times for a win. That is playing the nerve game. Kuroda will not go for the easy win. That is playing the nerve game. Maybe I've mislabelled it but I know for a fact that he doesn't do it.

Like to call the nerve game you seem to be alluding to anything more than outplaying your opponent would be a huge disservice to the community and I will argue those words out of your mouth or until you stop. The reason I say this is because to say that you outplayed your opponent by threatening to use your posse against him if he didn't lose, kinda like those knife pulling/gang calling delinquents do when you beat them at 3s or sf, then you didn't really play a mind game. You were just being a fucking prick that understands the body has nerves that connect to the mind and we are playing a game. hur hur hur dur. <-- these were not aimed at you. I just hate punks that use language to create problems for them to feed off of.

Kuroda will not force his opponent into making the same decisions in every match. That would be playing the nerve game. He does not do this. He is probably among the more "docile" of the bunch in regards to how human interaction takes place. I respect him so much for that.

Kuroda is among if not atop the best at this game but no one really ever hears about him. You only ever heard about Tokido, Nuki, Momochi ( now ) and Kokujin. Without bringing to mind the other great players that only got big with sf4 who else do you hear people speaking of as true influences in the way 3s is played outside of Japan? I have yet to see another player try to emulate Kuroda's style. Why? Because it's so challenging.
    Post edited by Dander on
    8tROOXi.png
    edited June 2014
    TiredOcean wrote: »
    re: Kuroda playing the nerve game. IIRC Deemo once complained that Kuroda's gameplay (in reference to his Akuma DVD) was basically him red parrying everything into full punish. In that sense Kuroda doesn't take risks, his opponents do (at least in 3S).
    Of course that one DVD might not be representative of his playstyle but whatever.

I think this is how he doshes tribute to his opponents and the game's integrity. By keeping those red parries in place, he is both removing the masked element of his ability ( that part of a player that we refer to as playing the opponent and not the match up ) and at the same time being true to himself in his abilities despite rankings and the politics that rankings and leaderboards invite. At least among the uninformed. He doesn't seem rich like KSK or KO and he doesn't seem like he went to school for a long time like some of the other players ( I forget who but I know there are some developers among the Japanese elite ). Kuroda is latent talent in practice without planning out courses of attack based on answers in the manner of assassins. Kuroda improves on HIMSELF wholly and then goes out there, like a warrior, instead of looking for ways to weaken his opponents. Those red parries are as close to the other player's side as he's going to get, and that is why I respect him so fucking much.

Though, if you're on the other end of things and calling what Kuroda does with red parries "getting on the opponent's nerves" then you've got the language all wrong. From a completely UNnarcissistic point of view the nerve game specifies that your target be somewhere else outside of the game but still within the game. One way that Justin Wong STILL plays the nerve game is that he still has that "thing" called the Wong Factor. For some reason, games just break around him and you can't deny that it happens at just the right time for him. That is not to say that he rigs anything or that he has some kind of control over the machines, I think he just pays so much more attention than other people and from humble beginnings or at least a humbled stand point. The Wong factor, the phenomenon that invites causality in it's less linear form, this is what I used to call losing the Name rather than the game and I think it was the main reason for why Pyro and Yi were the players I wanted to beat. If I was able to stand on even ground with them, I would be able to overcome the idea that I need to beat everyone up to them in order to be able to contend with them. I simply don't believe that. This isn't a megaman game where you need to beat the bosses in the right order if you want to pass the game and move on to the next one. In this game, the opponent learns what you do too and changes his play style accordingly so you aren't just trying to sweep through, unless of course the only time you actually participate is during tournaments. heh.
    Post edited by Dander on
    8tROOXi.png
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX C.JACKOBE > David Sirloin Joined: Posts: 17,426
    WTF is up with the Hanzo's player's name there?
    Sadaharu Oh > Barry Bonds > Eff aGee

(SRK has some filters for words now, even shit that's not a word, look: " your mother " Maybe JP can tell us more)

Just tacking on that last guy at the end here, not a real answer for you, ask fran

- ya I know you already did - could be a captioned later thing, or his real handle nickname, no idea

but I did not talk about Barry Bonds interviews asked about Oh, right after breaking the record (already pissed at all the other questions but I'll never forget what he said, as short as it was) and tracked down what Oh had to say about Bonds. Man, it was drastic-ly different. But un-surprising that nobody wanted to document any Barry Bond interviews to maybe even find that again, just let him fade to the sands of time.

kind of a shit talk, worlds apart, East vs West mentality thing. Couldn't put it all together or the ideas passed us by, lost chance, don't really need to now. but maybe if it comes up again on who's good, different eras, best player here-best player there, man you don't even know, respect & etc. It wouldn't be 100% positive towards JP people either though, looking up stuff about Oh was enlightening/sad. But that's already a well known thing, and old wounds from old people doing that, not saying Bonds or not accepting Oh from being Chinese descent too, are wrong (this other thing was, w/ his wife's grave), but like we can all learn from eachother, melting pot stuff, they probably still call Americans Yan-kees, cowboy music in commercials for American stuff. lol

Stop complaining Deemo :nono:
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

edited June 2014

Also, I have to ask, do you really believe Kuroda is that arrogant? I mean, here he is sharing with you stories of how he used to go to the arcade only when there weren't ruffians and that the only reason he even got to go to the arcade was because it made it easier for his mom and him when she got out of work. I'm sure he would do it to walk her home so she wouldn't be alone.

That doesn't strike me as a personality that would readily sit in the corner contemplating how he's going to get this next win. Instead I think that's more of a person that isn't entirely decided on who you are and what you are capable of so he decides to observe you and uses what he knows about the game to approach you. If you are wild and irreprehensible he will wait from a safe distance and get you to stop from there instead of going for one knockdown and fifty meaties to tick grab.

In the same way that 1 million views will not grant your business venture success, neither will unlimited funding make it impossible to fail. Beating a scrub will do nothing more than lower the standard of competition for you or make you an arrogant asshole. Kuroda is not an arrogant asshole. He is not arrogant and from what I've heard of him and seen of him he is not an asshole. I'm guessing a lot of the taunting at sbo was either a) for the crowd or b) in response to shit talk from the other teams outside of the tournament...maybe even c) in response to their arrogance.
    Post edited by Dander on
    8tROOXi.png
  • DiegoBoyDiegoBoy Joined: Posts: 174

He is not arrogant and from what I've heard of him and seen of him he is not an asshole. I'm guessing a lot of the taunting at sbo was either a) for the crowd or b) in response to shit talk from the other teams outside of the tournament...maybe even c) in response to their arrogance.

Why does he always carry unlabeled bags of water? I think that's the real question...
    Where did you hear this or read this?
    8tROOXi.png
    Who gives a fuck what he carries or how he dresses or whatever. Fanboys are weird.
    Who gives a fuck what he carries or how he dresses or whatever. Fanboys are weird.

What are you wearing, Ryan?
    8tROOXi.png