3rd Strike General Discussion Thread

Comments

• JAK..JAK.. Joined: Posts: 544
    IglooBob wrote: »

there are things that specifically are meant to punish parry but like you said, they can just block. for a good while on XBL I would meaty with close strong or close fierce with Ken and cancel into DP if I saw parry. this is pretty effective against them because most XBL players like to guess on wakeup and then do something. but over time I realized it's not a good idea - what I get out of the situation is not worth what I risk if they block after the parry.

From a risk/reward standpoint I don't know if I would agree about that specific situation.

Assuming ken does close strong and it is parried;
    • Do nothing and eat ground based combo
    • cancel jab shoryu and it gets blocked/parried- You probably eat the same ground based combo
    • Jab shoryu hits- You get possible kara shoryu and the following mixup

Unlike in the mid-range game, parry delay punish is less effective up close. Most of the buttons you will encounter are faster with much less recovery. Add in the fact that jab shoryu does not cost you meter to use, typically will not get you punished any harder, and has a pretty good reward on hit makes it a pretty legit option.

From a pure risk/reward stand point if you never cancelled you would get punished 100% of the time. By mixing in shoryu cancel you can lower that punishment percentage with minimal additional risk.

*I should probably come back and edit this later for clarity...

• Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,417
    edited March 2016
    GAL
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,023
    yeah I agree that it makes sense to sometimes cancel into shoryu if you get parried. I wasn't very clear, what I meant was "if I expect them to wakeup parry is meaty strong or fierce the best thing I should do." I think I probably don't want to put myself in that situation most of the time, and likely have better oki attack options.
    There's a funny thing Ryu can do to always get a punish in on Ken regardless if he cancels to DP or not. Testing needed to make sure
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,616
    Ryu24 wrote: »
    There's a funny thing Ryu can do to always get a punish in on Ken regardless if he cancels to DP or not. Testing needed to make sure

not what you're talking about but.

if someone parries close fierce (ryu) just shinsho.
    their only option is to block, everything else loses.
    for graet justice.
    Play more.
  • Fran3SFran3S Joined: Posts: 790
    edited September 2016
    so,remember matsuken's sick punish on dud's sa1 ?
    here around the 4:45 mark
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=tGPk6hiEmHg

tried replicating that a bunch of times back then but could never get it right
    apparently,it's character specific
    and obviously,just like against chun or mak sa2,some characters can't do it at all because of slow jumps

i decided to give it another try,this time using my character aaaand..i still can't do it
    i was told with yun you gotta parry 3 times on the ground and 2 times in the air (thanks y)
    seems correct but i find it so hard for some reason

then jak appeared with a very insightful message
    and i decided to make a video because the forum is dead
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=xDdkwORSbDo
    pretty sick huh

also,while i was fucking around in my ghetto training mode,i found a stylish combo
    not as easy as it first seems
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=JdtniwbvV44
    Post edited by Fran3S on
    https://www.youtube.com/user/FranThirdStrike

~ look at all those people walking by , not realizing how close they are to greatness ~
    ~ poor yun , jungle urien ~
    ~ they have zero points in riki's mind ~
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,506
    iirc with shotos, the number of parries in the air depends on whether or not you do a standing or crouching parry for the second parry. ive always done high parry, low parry, jump, two air parries. it probably has to be three in the air if you do two standing parries, like in that video. i think it also depends on how long you wait before inputting the jump after your last ground parry, where jumping earlier means youre more likely to have to do three. i wouldnt even bother doing this with larger characters like urien because its just too likely that youll get tagged by a hit in the process of having to do extra parries, and the punish wont even be improved that much.
    This message will self-destruct.
  • exodusexodus anti-vid scrub advocate! Joined: Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @Fran3S Lance reminded me of something you had mentioned before...maybe 1.5 years ago... It's happening :)
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by IglooBob on
    Who will be commentating?
    I'm hoping they get Bernie to commentate but I'll settle for Trump

let's make 3rd Strike great again
    Oops so it turns out CRT is a maybe rather than a sure thing

Sorry for jumping the gun
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,861
    Some things I noticed recently. You guys may have saw these things already but I thought it was intetesting:

-Seagulls in Oro stage
    -Oro's eye glows
    -Sean stage has a worker on the truck unloading things
    -Sean stage also has worker near the ship working a conveyor belt

coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
    Oro's eyes seem like a hard one to miss.
    They're super bright on cab and they sparkle/color-shift. He's a beast.
    Play more.
    Tebbo wrote: »
    Oro's eyes seem like a hard one to miss.
    They're super bright on cab and they sparkle/color-shift. He's a beast.
    Haha, yeah I agree. I felt kind of dumb noticing it for the first time only recently.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • djdjwdjdjw GGPO's son Joined: Posts: 281
    What qualities does player sandybags have that makes him a good Hugo player? It's gotta be rough to use Hugo and get wins. Just curious if anyone would let me know
    Earned a free fightstick from that site ->... http://www.points2shop.com?ref=uin1352551523
    Auto-360 macro, auto-720 macro
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX C.JACKOBE > David Sirloin Joined: Posts: 17,195
    Same one you use for your denjins right?

...|.
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• sidewindersidewinder Stiff Arm... Joined: Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    djdjw wrote: »
    What qualities does player sandybags have that makes him a good Hugo player? It's gotta be rough to use Hugo and get wins. Just curious if anyone would let me know

macros+ lag switch always help. ROFL
    im not that good , but there's always room for improvement... i think
  • DuralathDuralath 3S Gatekeeper Joined: Posts: 1,497
    Looks like I'm going to EVO.

I'll bring a CRT. I think. The one in my garage should still work.
    CFN: Duralath/ServantArcher FightCade: ServantArcher/Kyros Valchion
    3rd Strike: Alex/Makoto/Yun
    Street Fighter V:: Karin/Alex
    twitch.tv/Duralath
    Shoot to thrill.
    For my part I'd want a guarantee from the TO of CRT no matter what and it sounds like that's not the gameplan. So given that plus the short time frame between now and evo I probably won't go.
    How do you do dash up SRK?? What is the secret to doing it so fast?
  • jblairjblair is done with srk. Joined: Posts: 1,279
    edited May 2016
    down/forward, forward, down, down/forward+P

Edito: The reason this is the way is because you hit 4 directional inputs with 1 return to neutral. If you do it grandma style you have to hit 5 directional inputs with 2 returns to neutral. This makes it way easier to fuck up because forward, neutral, forward, neutral, forward, down, down/forward is very taxing on your hands and quite hard to execute without sloppiness given the small window of execution.
    Post edited by jblair on
  • jblairjblair is done with srk. Joined: Posts: 1,279
    djdjw wrote: »

Serious answer: Hugo is quite good. Idk about sandybags but a good hugo player has insane corner pressure which is not really rivaled by many other characters meterless. The huge life/stun advantage allows him to use his good buttons pretty freely. St. strong is the shit. Being ready to buffer 720 at all times is important. Working the mixup between making them jump/not jump is important. Being ready to snatch people with backbreaker is important.
  • djdjwdjdjw GGPO's son Joined: Posts: 281
    Wow @ tenren 5star and Frankie3s at boiler room..anyone know if tenren will go to TFC?
    Earned a free fightstick from that site ->... http://www.points2shop.com?ref=uin1352551523
    Tenren has work that day apparently.
  • KD AlphaKD Alpha "KD Alpha is the final boss of Laker hating." Joined: Posts: 1,356
    What makes Sandy so good is his spacing, reads, and match up knowledge. He's so on point with reads, parries, and punishes that you can't make mistakes against him or you eat a lot of damage leading to a knockdown that puts you back in a 50/50 situation. It's super impressive how well he does with all of Hugo's tools and he's easily one of the best players I've played against.

I'm sure Exo and a few of the guys who have played him would agree.
  • sidewindersidewinder Stiff Arm... Joined: Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fight4thefuture taught him everything he knows.
    im not that good , but there's always room for improvement... i think
  • ParryAllParryAll Dangerous Posts Joined: Posts: 2,996
    edited June 2016
    Pokemon123 wrote: »
    gah i give up on beating gill. This fight just feels so cheap and unfair. Tried for like three months, the dp strategy didn't work. He eventually learned to block it and it was too hard to get the knockdown (unless there is a reliable way?) Dissappinted that I wasted three months of time on this one fight. The whole game before that is so easy.

EDIT: sorry for the rage, just really really frustrated. I'll just learn to parry that high knee attack then punish him for it.

You can cheese Gill even on 8 star difficulty using Q.

He lets you Capture Deadly Blow him (lol) over and over. I'm pretty sure other command grabs are the same. Just keep grabbing him and when he resurrects, get close press and hold HP and you'll knock him out of it with just 1/6-1/4 of his life being restored.

There you go :)
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
    edited June 2016

Yuuki linked me this earlier today, and we'd like to investigate it. Basically it's Gouki is in the corner, Chun supers, Gouki blocks the first set and red parries the second set. He then jumps to parry the final hit, where she SJCs on parry to safety. which up to this point, I didn't think was possible!

So far Isotopez and I have only been able to recreate this under these conditions:
    shotos only
    corner only
    red parry the second set only

it worked on OE and FBA-RR so fairly safe to say it works on arcade (and Yuuki said the rumor was this happened in a match in Japan recently)

If you watch carefully, when Gouki parries the final hit, he gets turned around and I think has to parry the opposite direction. I'm wondering if this is the part that makes this work - that somehow if you get turned around in the air and have to parry the final hit from the other side, for some reason she can SJC on parry. and those conditions we listed above are the ones we've found that make that situation occur.

Any ideas?
  • Hol HorseHol Horse a.k.a. Fugo ~ イタリアの強大なユリアン Joined: Posts: 2,078
    that was already known, seen it in the footage of a French tournament more than 10 years ago (IIRC it was Mymoza vs Marcel)
    gooby plz
  • ESNESN 最初はぐう... Joined: Posts: 1,345
    Does it also work without Chun doing Wall jump afterwards?
    I'd bet on something related to that.
  • Hol HorseHol Horse a.k.a. Fugo ~ イタリアの強大なユリアン Joined: Posts: 2,078
    the ability to SJC that last hit is unrelated to the wall jump since she obviously jumps before being able to back jump
    gooby plz
    that is the slickest thing i've ever seen.
    awesome.
    Play more.
  • ESNESN 最初はぐう... Joined: Posts: 1,345
    Hol Horse wrote: »
    the ability to SJC that last hit is unrelated to the wall jump since she obviously jumps before being able to back jump
    Indeed but i was thinking of some glitch making last parried hit sjc-able due to Chun being able to wall jump immediately.
    Anyway, just checked, doesn't matter what direction Chun SJC.
  • Fran3SFran3S Joined: Posts: 790
    edited September 2016
    do we have a thread solely dedicated to 2nd impact ? probably not
    so..yeah,sorry about the semi-ot post

i was playing some guy online a while ago and picked geneijin yun because sa1 yun is kinda broken
    i always knew you could kara the zenpou like in 3rd but i never attempted to daipan loop in 2nd
    it turns out you can so i made a short stupid vid

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lDIKf_6x3sc

also,does anybody know more about EX leaps / uohs ?
    again,i didn't know they even existed until the other day
    and,yes,they consume meter like regular ex moves..crazy !
    Post edited by Fran3S on
    https://www.youtube.com/user/FranThirdStrike

~ look at all those people walking by , not realizing how close they are to greatness ~
    ~ poor yun , jungle urien ~
    ~ they have zero points in riki's mind ~
  • TheShendTheShend Sean Powa! Joined: Posts: 765
    Anyone fancy helping me keep the Master Video & Player Database spreadsheets up to date?

Real Life(TM) is getting in the way but I'm working towards getting some consistent time to work on the channel. However the spreadsheets I use to track what's out there are getting further and further behind.

So I've set-up a Slack channel: https://theshend.slack.com and if anyone fancies helping out a little here and there, holla and I'll invite you and grant editing permissions.

Cheers
    3S Players Index | Video Archive | theshend
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • HalberdiusHalberdius mm my hugo juggles.. watch him make people soar. Joined: Posts: 228
    KD Alpha wrote: »
    What makes Sandy so good is his spacing, reads, and match up knowledge. He's so on point with reads, parries, and punishes that you can't make mistakes against him or you eat a lot of damage leading to a knockdown that puts you back in a 50/50 situation. It's super impressive how well he does with all of Hugo's tools and he's easily one of the best players I've played against.

I'm sure Exo and a few of the guys who have played him would agree.

Yeah hes pretty good. Among the best players on xbl. Learned a lot of hugo stuff from watching him. Learned from my mistakes and managed a perf on him. He gets them from me occasionally tho. Think wholesomehearts elenas a lil better tho.
    Hammer mountain! O_O..... KO
    ストリートファイタ3
    Twitch.tv/halberdius
  • TiredOceanTiredOcean Low-tier theory fighter Joined: Posts: 134
    I heard that next week (2016-08-25) is going to be Tominaga's last East vs West? Can anyone confirm? And if so, why?
    Summer Jam X was dope, ggs to all
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,387
    edited September 2016
    They kilt HAX

GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria
  • ScotiaScotia There's a good chance I hate your favourite character Joined: Posts: 245
    Don't know if one already exists but I've made a 3rd Strike discord chat room.

https://discord.gg/KNDXW

Feel free to join if you want to organise games or just talk 3rd Strike in general. Thanks!
    "If I lose today, I can still win tomorrow. -Sean Matsuda

Mains

SF3
    Sean
    Alex
    Ken

SFV
    Ken
    Ryu
    Alex

"We await your return, warrior..."
  • FAI_CWFAI_CW Secretly a Twelve main Joined: Posts: 132
    Scotia wrote: »
    Don't know if one already exists but I've made a 3rd Strike discord chat room.

https://discord.gg/KNDXW

Feel free to join if you want to organise games or just talk 3rd Strike in general. Thanks!

That invite code has expired :/
    edited October 2016

Friend posted this who won't reveal it.
    Instant 4 hits in only 18 frames. Same startup as Ken's back MK
    Anyone know how this is done?

Another clip. This one instant Gigas.
    Someone explain this!!
    what's with the lame instagram filter.
    gigas you can buffer one 360 and then move and 360+p to finish. obviously in a short span of time.

thought you knew that.

as for denjin i don't know he flicks his sticks bean prob.
    Play more.