3rd Strike General Discussion Thread

Comments

• IbokiIboki Joined: Posts: 209
    Damn man. Let me post your vid first. Later today. Put dander on ignore in the meantime lol
  • xsoniccxsonicc y: aoc Joined: Posts: 820
    Dander wrote: »
    uhhh don't confuse that post for some kind of feminist response. I can't stand those bitches.

I just always saw you as white and the privilege part was meant to be a joke.

fortunately i have a sense of humor unlike some of the other http://dontevenreply.com in this thread :'D

but yes, i'm white
    no.
  • DanderDander BANNED Joined: Posts: 7,227
    edited August 2015
    xsonicc wrote: »
    uhhh don't confuse that post for some kind of whiming response. I can't stand those you most likely don't wanna read versiones.

fortunately i have a sense of humor unlike some of the other flambos in this thread :'D

but yes, i'm white
    Lol those guys thought I was talking about them and straight up just handed out the brochure to the code of conduct. It reads:

if (feminist)
    return true;
    else
    if( white )
    idk, I'm not white.
    if( dissident )
    He hates all women

anyway who cares.

you coming back to the "scene" or what's up? Mike Watson is opening up a new place in Azusa, I think. Half Arcade half game store and full of SF4 loving scrubs. You used to like that game, I think. He should still have a couple 3s machines too. There's also always...fightcade.

Anyway, Devdan, good luck getting laid by pandering to their every whim. Congrts!
    8tROOXi.png
    xsonicc wrote: »
    uhhh don't confuse that post for some kind of whiming response. I can't stand those you most likely don't wanna read versiones.

fortunately i have a sense of humor unlike some of the other flambos in this thread :'D

but yes, i'm white
    Lol those guys thought I was talking about them and straight up just handed out the brochure to the code of conduct. It reads:

if (feminist)
    return true;
    else
    if( white )
    idk, I'm not white.
    if( dissident )
    He hates all women

anyway who cares.

you coming back to the "scene" or what's up? Mike Watson is opening up a new place in Azusa, I think. Half Arcade half game store and full of SF4 loving scrubs. You used to like that game, I think. He should still have a couple 3s machines too. There's also always...fightcade.

i've been playing on fightcade and another game, but i'd rather play in an actual arcade so it'd be cool to go there. how bout you buddy?

p.s i hated sf4
    no.
    Are you in the Azusa area or was that just coincidence? There's a spot I go to in North Hollywood where Pyrolee and 5star show up occassionally. The rest of the guys are pretty good too. There is very little learning there as everyone "brings their A game" but I try to show up with new stuff as often as I can. I don't really have to change much more than the normal I want to avoid at this point. There's also Don's on Fridays but I haven't been there in forever.

Also, I'm on fightcade as twofold, twofoldsonecut and I think there's another one I can't remember.
    8tROOXi.png
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    fightcade is alright.
    i dunno dander you just have so much jitter. when i play other people its nowhere near as sketchy.

that 1 frame of delay, holy shit i could feel it instantly.
    its like your directional inputs are sticky. i just forgot how ggpo felt in general i guess.
    Play more.
    Are you in the Azusa area or was that just coincidence? There's a spot I go to in North Hollywood where Pyrolee and 5star show up occassionally. The rest of the guys are pretty good too. There is very little learning there as everyone "brings their A game" but I try to show up with new stuff as often as I can. I don't really have to change much more than the normal I want to avoid at this point. There's also Don's on Fridays but I haven't been there in forever.

Also, I'm on fightcade as twofold, twofoldsonecut and I think there's another one I can't remember.

i'm over in irvine, so it's a bit of a drive but not the worst thing. i picked up another game and i'm gonna try and see if i can build up some people to play with locally.
    no.
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,519
    edited August 2015
    Me and KD played a good bit of FC 3s after the fucking thing let us, it felt like ggpo 3s. KD said he was having huge problems and was triple-tapping buttons to get what he wanted to come out.

Overall I would prefer it over 360/psn because generally the players are better on FC.
    GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria
  • KD AlphaKD Alpha "KD Alpha is the final boss of Laker hating." Joined: Posts: 1,356
    I was getting dropped inputs at a pretty consistent rate; more than usual for FC for whatever reason.

It's usually not /that/ bad, but in general I'd rather play on Xbox because there's no inherent delay and latency issues like I have with FC.
    yeah oe is superior for me too.
    partitioning in jitter is super fun.
    Play more.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    I think Fightcade drops fewer inputs than GGPO but it still drops inputs. It's still better then PSN 3SOE pre-patch.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
    Tebbo wrote: »
    fightcade is alright.
    i dunno dander you just have so much jitter. when i play other people its nowhere near as sketchy.

that 1 frame of delay, holy shit i could feel it instantly.
    its like your directional inputs are sticky. i just forgot how ggpo felt in general i guess.

Yeah, I've always thought that my inputs in particular were very sticky online. It must be because I'm always looking to keep "the motor humming" so that the white noise can't give away my next action. That's also why sometimes, even on arcade, I will press a block situation and find myself holding down or down forward to bait their normal. It's more difficult nowadays though because of the clicks that the new lollipop sticks have.

It could be my shit internet, it could also be that the whole thing is still stupid. I mean, I'll play with tons of other people and I'll usually be the only with any kind of sticky inputs and things of the sort. Yeah it sounds like it's just stupid. :p

Btw, you guys are crazy. Fightcade and OE are the same shit just cut up into a different "meta". I recall that the machine would learn the particular players and then react accordingly after some time. I can't help but feel that that same thing is what influences a large part of what becomes "feasible" online play and, so, what becomes the high frequency input and exchange sequences that the game looks for in order to reduce the latency. It explains the rollback situations and why they seem to happen to me so much more than anyone else. Maybe I'm just vocal about it but even the arcade would sometimes just be like, "Way too fast my nig".

8tROOXi.png
    What game?
    no, no, wait, lemme guess...

Xrd.
    8tROOXi.png
    What game?

Xrd.

giphy.gif

;_; "

Dander.
    edited August 2015
    Well I also found out (regarding the sticky feeling) that my 360/PC stick apparently lags more than a frame lol.

So I was able to load into SF5 today. Don't have a stick on ps4 but it's better feeling than I expected honestly.
    Speaking of Xrd, I'll prob get it once I have a stick on ps4. gurando baipaaa~
    Play more.
  • NickRocksNickRocks Knock Knock Joined: Posts: 22,875
    i havent played this game seriously since like 2008. i miss it ;_; so what i gather is 3SOE and fightcade are the most happenin spots? i havent ben on fightcade in awhile, wonder if the mvc1 room is still full of drama LOL
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
    What game?

Xrd.

yatagarasu: attack on cataclysm. 3s inspired game made by snk devs. umezono (if you remember him, 3s chun player back in the day) is one of the devs. it's an awesome game on steam.
    no.
    oh yeah duh, the avatar. I played it a bit and it's only okay. It plays like Chun Li the Hugo player.
    8tROOXi.png
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    please dont post on behalf of banned users. for now ill just remove the content but if your account is just to act as a proxy for someone who was banned you may end up getting banned as well.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    pherai wrote: »
    please dont post on behalf of banned users. for now ill just remove the content but if your account is just to act as a proxy for someone who was banned you may end up getting banned as well.

So that's how I can do it..
    8tROOXi.png
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    all you have to do is ask >:)
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    Someone brought up Metric, which reminds me I need to learn how to deal with Oro Boogerball setups that shit owns me free.
    de BLOO wrote: »
    Someone brought up Metric, which reminds me I need to learn how to deal with Oro Boogerball setups that shit owns me free.

Those things are unblockable. They're meant to be uphill battles. No need to pronounce it to the world.
    8tROOXi.png
    edited August 2015
    My bad, I thought talking about 3s was a good thing.

I'll bitch about Louiscipher instead I guess.
    Nah you're supposed to play 3s and maybe answer questions
    8tROOXi.png
  • -=KOH=--=KOH=- In Japan Joined: Posts: 1,572
    de BLOO wrote: »

Gotta be more specific with the setup. There are a lot of em.
    All the way in the back of the food stamp line.
    It's the same as reflector unblockables.
    You need to try. If you don't you're fucked and if you do you might not be fucked.
    So there's no reason not to try and gauge the timing and go for it. It's just hard because the balls are so fucking slow and awkward.

i'm assuming you mean you just can't seem to get the parry right. oro is maybe the best character in the game at messing with timings. so it is a real challenge once he gets in your head. he's a really cool character. love that guy.
    Play more.
  • NickRocksNickRocks Knock Knock Joined: Posts: 22,875
    Nah you're supposed to play 3s and maybe answer questions

PogChamp
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
    I aint got those cheating ass metal slammer. I go for thin plastic.
    8tROOXi.png
    Do
    All
    Niggahs
    Dreadhis
    Each-and-every
    Rhyme

8tROOXi.png
    Tebbo wrote: »
    It's the same as reflector unblockables.
    You need to try. If you don't you're fucked and if you do you might not be fucked.
    So there's no reason not to try and gauge the timing and go for it. It's just hard because the balls are so fucking slow and awkward.

i'm assuming you mean you just can't seem to get the parry right. oro is maybe the best character in the game at messing with timings. so it is a real challenge once he gets in your head. he's a really cool character. love that guy.

I was trying to just block them. I believe the basic setup was booger cancel off of Oro's launcher (I think it's his fierce?) then start dashing underneath me into high-low mix ups. It didn't feel like Urien type shit where in certain instance I'm just fucked. I've only faced competent Boogerball play probably 3 times ever. Metric was the last guy I played in like 2013 who was doing that shit to me.

Also, this is the Dr. Pepper I am talking about.
    qpl5px.jpg

You get these types and you'll be good. Anyone say otherwise is a straight buster.
    edited August 2015
    Damn, that shit looks fancy.

Uh...unless they launch you with the booger and have you bounce of it while they get in to position, which is behind you on the side opposite the booger ball, you can just move back more/jump/dash under the booger ball.
    Don't forget to roll if the booger ball wasn't the last hit before you hit the ground. If it was the last hit before you hit the ground then don't forget you can parry the booger low and then put that into a sort of of autopilot phase for yourself so that you can pay closer attention to which attack Oro will be using next. The regular unblockable set up needs to be started with a jump in, so it would be an easy down parry then high parry but that still leaves you set up for the unblockable. What you can do then is parry high again and then attempt a back throw so you get a block and/or tech grab.
    After that, the timing is real strict if they want to do a real combo. Otherwise they just end up dropping the thing all together or ending it with only a shitty poke.
    8tROOXi.png
    Oh ok so you mean more just kind of pressure.
    I was assuming the unblockable setup where he will use a neutral jump to kick your head while you're blocking it from the other side.
    Play more.
    Just wanted to poke my head in here with a thought:

I think of this set with Kuroda vs MOV as being like the Daigo Parry or Kuroda trolling JWong or Genki and Pierrot at SBO. This (for me anyway, I don't want to speak for everyone) is like the ultimate proof that not only is 3S GDLK and still the greatest 2D Fighter of all time, but it's not broken. I look at this set as something you can just send to someone who just doesn't know and heard the BS or some troll repeating whatever nonsense he read on Eventhubs. Here you go, the silver bullet (maybe) that shows that if you're good then you can win. This is a 7-3 matchup in favor of Chun featuring two gods playing, and the Chun gets merc'd.

;_; "

Dander.
    I like kuroda

:)
    8tROOXi.png
    edited September 2015
    Yo.

I love Makoto.

I'm watching related videos from that video. You know what was cool in 4? Gouken. That's about it.
    Play more.
  • TiredOceanTiredOcean Low-tier theory fighter Joined: Posts: 134
    This (for me anyway, I don't want to speak for everyone) is like the ultimate proof that not only is 3S GDLK and still the greatest 2D Fighter of all time, but it's not broken ... the silver bullet (maybe) that shows that if you're good then you can win. This is a 7-3 matchup in favor of Chun featuring two gods playing, and the Chun gets merc'd.

I appreciate that you're not speaking for everyone, since I disagree. This video isn't proof of anything apart from Kuroda's skill relative to MOV's. Just because Kuroda is the absolute master of 3S and can bend (almost) any matchup to his will does not somehow fix the balance issues this game has.
    The matchup is 7-3 for a reason - Chun has better tools than Makoto and can keep Mak out of the range where she needs to be. Basically, Chun has to do less work in this matchup than Makoto to win.
    I mean, I guess that parries allow for reads to be made more "fluently" than others, so a skill gap is more apparent, and players using lower tier characters get chances to do work. But top tier characters also have parries; they can exploit the same lapses in judgement and get the same chances. On top of that, they do more damage or their pokes have longer range or are faster, whatever - this makes the game easier for them.

I could do the same thing you're doing, but with practically any fighting game under the sun and make the same argument - hey, check out this video of Daigo hitting psychic DPs in ST! Even as he faces off against O.Sagat or Claw, he still takes the lead with his skill. Clearly ST is not broken and skill is the deciding factor.

... yeah, it is, but you're going to have an easier time picking those top-tiers.
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,669
    I think there's something to it. In ST, you see the matchups really, really starkly where often one player will just sit there because he literally has no right to do anything and is just waiting for the other person to screw up royally. 3S matchups can be stark in that way to a point, but parry kind of inserts the players on top of that. It allows them to directly call out the other person and play the player as well as the character matchup, and ensures you have something you can do about things most of the time. They allow the disadvantaged party to act and the force the advantaged party to still play with the disadvantaged player - a character can't just invalidate the player behind the stick anywhere as easily even if the mismatch in the character department is severe.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma