3rd Strike General Discussion Thread

Comments

• RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,873
    Should I be expected to TTH 100% of the time with Urien? When I'm feeling it, I can land TTH 80% of the time in training mode. Does landing TTH consistently really matter or is corner control way more important?
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • Hol HorseHol Horse a.k.a. Fugo ~ イタリアの強大なユリアン Joined: Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's not an end-it-all crippling trait if you aren't 100% with that. It's better if you can do that though since it's very good meterless damage AND useful for building meter as well.
    gooby plz
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,688
    do you have trouble with it even if you do the much easier and barely inferior mk -> lk version instead of mk -> mk?
    the startup makes it much easier to connect, your timing can be more loose.

personally i think consistency is actually maybe the #1 thing which separates OK players from GOOD players.
    execution is always the last part of every thing you the player do. you can't escape it.

so i would always place execution as #1 honestly. what's the use of knowing what you should do if can't/don't do it?
    better to be able to do everything you know when you want to and then expand your understanding of when/how as you become experienced and exposed to more diverse and stronger players.

you can't really understand the game if you can't make things happen as you want them.
    i might be the poster child for the reverse and how pointless and misguided it is. so don't be me.
    Play more.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,318
    If you commonly set up situations where you land corner combos, then yes, you should definitely focus on optimizing your conversions. There's no reason to leave damage on the table if you can help it.

If you don't get many opportunities for corner combos, then there's obviously still nothing wrong with practicing the optimal stuff, but it's not as big a priority. The other side of the coin of what Tebbo said is also true; what good is being able to do something if you can't set it up (commonly known as "online USFIV E.Ryu-syndrome")? In this case I'd focus on merely having a functional combo first, then optimize it once it's landed so oftewn that you genuinely feel you're handicapping yourself (and even losing games) by not doing it.

The two cents of a (honestly quite mediocre) player.
    Went into training mode anf you can only TTH like half of the cast :looney:
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865
    edited November 2016
    Richter wrote: »
    Went into training mode anf you can only TTH like half of the cast :looney:

You can TTH a good 2/3 of the cast I think, but it's way harder to hit some of them. If you can consistently do it to Yun and Yang then you have some godlike execution.

EDIT: Turns out that TTH works on everybody except Alex.
    Post edited by aku on
    Dudley, Ibuki, Twins, Oro, and Remy seem very unrealistic to land TTH in a match (do people TTH these characters at high level?) I still need to practice Elena, Twelve, Hugo, Q timings today.
    edited November 2016
    If anything you go tackle - sphere - tackle on Dudley, strict timing still but easier than TTH for sure.
    On Oro it doesn't work period (oh wait, it does indeed. But it's so unpractical).
    On Ibuki and Twins it's pretty hard indeed, I've seen even RX drop those or choose to go for something else.
    Vs Elena just go with tackle>sphere>tackle>hp, vs Q L.tackle, h.sphere, h.tackle*2
    Post edited by Hol Horse on
    gooby plz
    Thanks for that info Hol Horse!!!
  • SlaystationSlaystation Joined: Posts: 15
    I've been playing online with ken and using his EX Tatsu to get out of the corner or to close a gap seems incredibly useful, and almost always lands a hit on the opponent. Was this ever used in high level play or am I missing videos?
    I've been playing online with ken and using his EX Tatsu to get out of the corner or to close a gap seems incredibly useful, and almost always lands a hit on the opponent. Was this ever used in high level play or am I missing videos?

EX tatsu corner escape gets its uses indeed if is the opponent is crouching often, many characters can't really punish it on whiff with no super.
    To close a gap it's not really worth it, it's reactable and leaves you in a bad position if blocked (it's even unsafe against some characters), it's a waste of meter expecially for a character like ken who can close the gaps in much safer ways
    gooby plz
  • SlaystationSlaystation Joined: Posts: 15
    Hol Horse wrote: »

EX tatsu corner escape gets its uses indeed if is the opponent is crouching often, many characters can't really punish it on whiff with no super.
    To close a gap it's not really worth it, it's reactable and leaves you in a bad position if blocked (it's even unsafe against some characters), it's a waste of meter expecially for a character like ken who can close the gaps in much safer ways

I was just curious on it, mostly cause I played three Rank 0 players and somehow pulled it off with closing gaps and opening them up that way. Not to mention a sick anti-air EX Tatsu finisher about 20 minutes ago.

God I wish I recorded that. :c
  • DuralathDuralath 3S Gatekeeper Joined: Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I was just curious on it, mostly cause I played three Rank 0 players and somehow pulled it off with closing gaps and opening them up that way. Not to mention a sick anti-air EX Tatsu finisher about 20 minutes ago.

God I wish I recorded that. :c

Rank 0, as in the glitch still exists on OE?

Aside from that, OE's been around long enough that players will have invariably reached a high point rank.

Regardless, as Ken, you don't have to rush your approach if you want to close the gap. In my honest experience, Ken is ridiculously scary when he's walking towards you a la Snake Eyez Gief in USF4 (for lack of a better comparison at the moment).

CFN: Duralath/ServantArcher FightCade: ServantArcher/Kyros Valchion
    3rd Strike: Alex/Makoto/Yun
    Street Fighter V:: Karin/Alex
    twitch.tv/Duralath
    Shoot to thrill.
  • iWinWeDateiWinWeDate Whiff punish everything. Joined: Posts: 298
    This is one of my favourite 3rd strike matches.
    Ricky Vs Daigo
    For me this is what sf is about. Imo it would be cool to have a game where every character is forced to play footsies by design.
    Now look at this match:
    KO vs Daigo
    I'm not a pro at 3rd strike, but the ground game is non-existent here. The Yun player is not thinking about spacing at all just "going in" am I wrong? Footage like this is stopping me from getting into the game.
  • ryan.ryan. Joined: Posts: 1,918
    It is unbelievably difficult to be good with divekicks.

Yun doesn't play ground game that much since it's not that strong, but it is possible (Kuroda).

KO is known for having some of the best offensive pressure, but I wouldn't say he's just "going in". Try just going in versus good players and see what happens.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,884 mod
    ground game is just about controlling space. dive kicks might not be on the ground, but understanding them is understanding controlling space. it looks different but its the same

they just happen to make ground moves less powerful. but there definitely isnt any less thinking about spacing.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    ryan. wrote: »
    It is unbelievably difficult to be good with divekicks.

Yun doesn't play ground game that much since it's not that strong, but it is possible (Kuroda).

KO is known for having some of the best offensive pressure, but I wouldn't say he's just "going in". Try just going in versus good players and see what happens.

Eh, I've always thought Yun does just fine on the ground. He's not Chun or Ken, but his ground game is fine against everyone else imo, especially when supplemented with his overall air game.
    Care to elaborate why you think it's not that strong?
    edited November 2016
    if you remove divekick its hard to imagine how yun can open someone up isn't it?
    the threat of him closing that gap so quickly is where a lot of his strength comes from.

watch really any strong yun and try to find times where either the threat of a divekick or a divekick didn't create his offense (outside genei jin of course).

edit: as to the bit about execution and understanding naeras:

i say execution first because if you can't do short short super with any consistency then that completely destroys your ability to understand how to use it.
    it's much easier to understand the use of something when you get what it feels like and how it acts.

let me make an (over used) comparison to music. before you can play jazz with someone you need to know how to play your instrument. 'knowing' jazz doesn't mean anything as far as playing and it also means your knowledge is purely academic and theoretical, which is cool but really has nothing to do with actually playing.

both are of course required to reach higher levels of play. but as far as learning i think you need to just 'do' before you should worry about thinking.
    Post edited by Tebbo on
    Play more.
  • DanderDander BANNED Joined: Posts: 7,227
    GIBE GIBE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT EN RESPCETPOAD!
    8tROOXi.png
    8tROOXi.png
    8tROOXi.png
    8tROOXi.png
    8tROOXi.png
  • exodusexodus anti-vid scrub advocate! Joined: Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is this a symptom of Don's withdrawal? What the fuck are you on @Dander? Holy shit!
    Nesica system was hacked and there is a downloadable version floating around the internet including the emulated 3rd Strike port.
    I played the port for like 10 minutes in Japan and it didn't feel terrible imo. For those unfamiliar, Nesica is essentially an online service that supplies digital games to Japanese arcade game centers.

It would be interesting to see if 3rd Strike cabinets saw enough play that we would be forced to use flat screens for gameplay. It might even be useful for people currently playing console or fightcade at the moment.
  • DevdanDevdan Joined: Posts: 537
    During my most recent year over there, I pretty much spent all of my days off at various arcades, and I only ever saw anyone playing Nesica Strike a handful of times and they were usually playing arcade mode. I think one time I saw people actually doing versus. It's kind of a non-issue. Part of the appeal of 3S is not having to pay 100 yen a credit, lol.
    it's already well into the 'classic' game zone.
    i think the only new blood is that which is introduced by old blood.

so i can't imagine there would ever be any real pressure to change things up. the biggest issue seems to be space/transport for cabs/crts. and board maintenance.
    Play more.
  • araider08araider08 Use your head! Or I will... I need a new bowling ball. Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Well, I guess this is a good place to share.

As some of you may know, I've been working on compiling 3s stats so players have something to show when they're parents ask them why they shouldn't disappointed in their life decisions.
    Jk, but I am working on compiling tournament data to... "Rank" players nationwide.
    It's always been a topic of controversy but eh, 3s needs good controversy. Objective controversy.

Anyway, I bring to you 3rdstrikerankings.org!

I'd really like to make it so that I don't have to manually put things into the database so I'll be working on extending it so that TOs can submit challonge links or something... That part has been the only frustration so far.

Anyway, my goal was to build some feedback for 3s players and something that Japan has probably had for a very long time but never really took off in America until the dreaded Gamerscore.

Cheers.

Come at me with the hate/constructive criticism. Preferably the latter.
    MakSwag
    Mobile viewing is a bit rough, and maybe you could link some stuff from SRK onto the tutorials portion. Seems like a daunting process overall so hopefully other people will be able to contribute eventually.

Good Stuff!!!

Also wanted to say that we play 3rd Strike in the Philly area:

Siren Records has a H2H setup
    25 E State St, Doylestown, PA 18901
    edited November 2016
    that's cool you're playing there now richter.
    i'll have to plan a trip down.

not sure now who shows up.

araider if you want some useless stats for every character i have them.
    i went through and compiled all the data as far as their raw stats and basic hurtboxes (crouching and standing) and then rated them. I wanted to put it all together into little spreads for each character highlighting their most notable qualities and any interesting quirks along with a broad overview. i don't have the drive to make that little pdf overview guide i'd like to right now but if you want the data for your site you can use it
    Play more.
    nesica 3rd feels awful!

maybe when compared to playing on your pc netplay at home its not bad, but its literally on arcade hardware!

Im not sure why youd play nesica for any game unless it doesnt have its own dedicated cab like Skullgirls
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    edited November 2016
    pherai wrote: »
    nesica 3rd feels awful!

maybe when compared to playing on your pc netplay at home its not bad, but its literally on arcade hardware!

Im not sure why youd play nesica for any game unless it doesnt have its own dedicated cab like Skullgirls

depending on the hardware setup though it could run better on a home made custom pc than on the arcade machine though. I think it's worth exploring at least.

EDIT: for some weird ass reason in 2015 during my Japan trip I remember one day at game versus when MOV was there but didn't even touch the cps3 cabs but he went on the Nesica setup and played like 30 games there (mostly vs Furo)
    gooby plz
    maybe they were playing a bunch to get a feel and compare?
    Play more.
  • araider08araider08 Use your head! Or I will... I need a new bowling ball. Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Tebbo wrote: »
    that's cool you're playing there now richter.
    i'll have to plan a trip down.

not sure now who shows up.

araider if you want some useless stats for every character i have them.
    i went through and compiled all the data as far as their raw stats and basic hurtboxes (crouching and standing) and then rated them. I wanted to put it all together into little spreads for each character highlighting their most notable qualities and any interesting quirks along with a broad overview. i don't have the drive to make that little pdf overview guide i'd like to right now but if you want the data for your site you can use it

If you send me the data I'd be glad to look through it and put it somewhere!
    MakSwag
  • Spinning BeatSpinning Beat Mr. creampie your girl Joined: Posts: 3,973
    Does 3s still have an active community?

I would love to get back into 3rd strike. It's really my favorite fighting game. I used have so much fun playing this back in the day.
    The most beautiful rose is cultivated in the blood of those who fall before me.
    SFV: Vega.
    3S:Ibuki, Yang, Ryu
    KOF 98:Kyo/Iori/O.Chris
    I play to learn, because you can't win if you don't know shit.
    July, 16 1991: That's when the beat dropped.
    CFN:weedandwater
    R.I.P Bankroll Fresh
    The 3S Europe-discord is relatively active, so I'd imagine it's still easy to get games if you ask. I don't play the game online though (partially because I can't get the game to work on fightcade and I discontinued my XBL; said XBL-acc locked itself up either way).
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    The game is probably the most active of any old game in America (~50 entrants for majors) and very active online. But you gotta know your way around each platform.

Fightcade - lots of people with a large variance in skill level. There's lots of new players but also some medium and big boys. It's easy to find matches here.

Xbl - lots of medium and big boys but they tend to only play in private lobbies so you likely need to join the xbl chat to get games. Ranked is not really active.

I don't know anything about psn so can't give info on that one
  • jblairjblair remember to cancel your preorder! Joined: Posts: 1,393
    so megaman X is a marvel character or a cacom one?
    Looney Tunes :smokin:
    NEC was awesome, great competition . Thanks to Nica K.O and MutantXP for throwing the event. Ggs to b everyone
  • akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865
    Here's a funky little ditty: Boss's 3rd Strike tier list:

Top to Bottom:
    - Chun-Li
    - Ken
    - Yun
    - Makoto
    - Oro
    - Yang
    - Dudley
    - Akuma
    - Urien
    - Ryu
    - Elena
    - Necro
    - Ibuki
    - Alex
    - Twelve
    - Remy
    - Sean
    - Hugo
    - Q

The markings on the right:
    ◎ = I'm confident this is the right spot, 〇 = They're likely in this spot, △ = Hmm...(uncertain), ✖ = I mostly just made up the numbers

He admits that he made up quite a few of the matchup numbers, hence the weird bottom-half, but I just thought it's interesting to see his list in comparison to other top players' like Kuroda and Mester. Also Oro is so high lol

edited December 2016
    Lol I was about to post it myself
    Yep the bottom half is busted, I can't see how could Twelve be above anyone in this game. I like his ratings of the Urien matchups though.
    He's not the first to rate Oro high, and I agree, Oro has been underrated for years in my opinion
    gooby plz
    Saw it. Oro surprised me, at best I've seen people put him at the bottom of high tier.
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,489
    Naeras wrote: »
    Saw it. Oro surprised me, at best I've seen people put him at the bottom of high tier.

kuroda had him 3rd tied with Yun like a year ago.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • MesenkomahaMesenkomaha Joined: Posts: 579
    IglooBob wrote: »
    The game is probably the most active of any old game in America (~50 entrants for majors) and very active online. But you gotta know your way around each platform.

Fightcade - lots of people with a large variance in skill level. There's lots of new players but also some medium and big boys. It's easy to find matches here.

Xbl - lots of medium and big boys but they tend to only play in private lobbies so you likely need to join the xbl chat to get games. Ranked is not really active.

I don't know anything about psn so can't give info on that one

PSN has by far the worst quality of players. You can play ranked all day if you'd like, it is active, but you're likely going to be playing noobs.
  • miomio You have no dignity. Joined: Posts: 552
    Anyone know where I can find that video with Rom stumbling drunk where he says "play third strike it's the good game"?
    Lol I was about to post it myself
    Yep the bottom half is busted, I can't see how could Twelve be above anyone in this game. I like his ratings of the Urien matchups though.
    He's not the first to rate Oro high, and I agree, Oro has been underrated for years in my opinion

Well. he basically says 'i have no idea'.
    but really i don't think twelve is as bad as he's thought to be. i think he's suffered because not many people use him. so not much has changed over a decade.
    Play more.
  • YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,475
    Is it just me or is Blue Nocturne the worst goddamn super in this entire game? I seriously can't think of a super that sucks more than that outside of maybe Total Destruction.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman
  • R.P.D rookieR.P.D rookie Totally Destructed Joined: Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yuna wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Blue Nocturne the worst goddamn super in this entire game? I seriously can't think of a super that sucks more than that outside of maybe Total Destruction.

I'd say Total Destruction adds another layer to the Q strategy. Everyone changes their play style to some degree when you activate Q SA3. More times than not it's a defensive/runaway mindset for the opponent: they end up giving a lot of space for a Q player to finish taunts or get a breather from aggressive players. Lots of opportunity to punish with standard moves because some get so preoccupied with avoiding getting grabbed. Though I've never been good enough to claim it is true, apparently Q can be lethal to opponents he corners. An opponent knocked into the corner with Q activating SA3 usually makes the opponent go batshit on wanting out of the corner even more so.

"Come up in that fucken cornfield!!" --Rocky L Rose
    Yuna wrote: »

generally yes but there is a player that chooses SA3 specifically against Q when the Q player uses SA1 to go through LOVs. On reaction Remy SA3 hard counters Q SA1. Look up YOU Remy to see what Im talking about. Its pretty cool!

SA3 Alex vs Oro and SA2 Tweleve vs Remy are similar single matchup super choices. I made a thread about these supers a few years back but its probably buried quite deep by now.