Rolento General Discussion

jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
Generally discuss Rolento.
Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.

Comments

• RygRyg Joined: Posts: 146
    Dunno if its known, but CH cl.hk U1/U2 links. You can also link both ultras after a Ex delta air raid.

Now he can throw his stinger really low to the ground too. The negative edge seems to help to do this.
  • VeliusVelius Joined: Posts: 270
    Im pretty sure you cant do that for U2 now because it's a 7 frame start up now but we'll see.
  • SLICK RICKSLICK RICK Joined: Posts: 1,118
    Let's fuckin GO
  • ReckionReckion I have such a raging clue right now!! Joined: Posts: 109
    edited June 2014
    So do you guys actually think Rolento will be as annoying as el fuerte or Juri?
  • 3rd strike3rd strike JAV 大好きです Joined: Posts: 430
    Leak his theme already damn...
    90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited June 2014
    Shoulda called it General Rolento Discussion...
    Reckion wrote: »

Nope. Somebody is going to find some easy non-character specific tech against him that stops all his cool shit and all you'll be left to do is footsies and runaway.
    Nope. Somebody is going to find some easy non-character specific tech against him that stops all his cool shit and all you'll be left to do is footsies and runaway.

Right? I'm really pumped for Rolento being in the game and the fact that Capcom brought him to SF4. His specials, footsies and (possible) strategies I find them really awesome. But people are already saying that he will be the new annoying character everyone will hate and that makes me sad :(
  • Time pantsTime pants Maybe Evil Ryu is just misunderstood? Joined: Posts: 446
    Shoulda called it General Rolento Discussion...
    Reckion wrote: »

It kind of felt like it had already reached that point toward the end of the arcade release, don't you think?
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,215
    He's not going to be annoying per se, his roll has been nerfed. He's a pretty honest character, actually. You can probably get by by rolling and jumping all over the place randomly to a degree, but having good fundamentals is crucial to the character.
    Velius wrote: »
    Im pretty sure you cant do that for U2 now because it's a 7 frame start up now but we'll see.

It stills work, i tried it at a locktest last saturday.

• derukunderukun filthy fucking casual Joined: Posts: 451
    If EX sting is used from one grid square away, its an easy link into Ultra 1.

I think its cool how his Sting can be used so close to the ground yet still hitting high hitbox, that'll be a good mix up potentially, especially because it easily links into Cl. HP xx Rekka

That's all I got so far from playing around with him in training mode. BTW, is there any real use for his 3 punch + punch special?
    SFV Fighter ID - blackolives
  • HiryuMKHiryuMK Joined: Posts: 73
    Does Rolento have a reliable anti-air?
  • djKundjKun Buddha Catastrophe! Joined: Posts: 408
    edited June 2014
    HiryuMK wrote: »

st.MP. I haven't tried local or online play yet but in training, any of ryu's jump in and yun's dive kick can be beaten by st.MP.

Also, after j.HK, st.HK can link into cr.MK xx patriot. Even j.mk, st.HK can still link to cr.MK. However it doesn't work on small characters like Sakura.

So on I think just about anyone:

j.HK, st.HK~cr.mk xx Patriot
    j.HK, st.HK~cr.mk xx EX Patriot ~ U1

After EX Patriot, you can still hit them with st.MP. Could even dash right after and set yourself up with a nice throw.
    Does he have any safe chip pressure at all? Does he have anything that's NOT a 1-frame link? I've been reading on other forums and the character sounds ass.
    Norieaga wrote: »
    Does he have any safe chip pressure at all? Does he have anything that's NOT a 1-frame link? I've been reading on other forums and the character sounds ass.

What are his 1 frame links?

From the looks of it: st. lp - cr.mk, & st. rh - cr. mk.

• hurshbothurshbot Joined: Posts: 16
    i dont think any of his bnbs are 1 frame links, i dont really plink at all and i have no problems doing st lp - cr mk or st rh - cr mk.

also as an important side note:
    all of his stingers are completely projectile invincible on the way up, right until you throw the knife
    Does his rekka have any use except for guaranteed punishes? The range is so shit on it that it cannot even be hit-confirmed in time. Fucking Capcom, they can't balance characters for shit.
    edited June 2014
    Cr. MP seems to be completely useless.
  • SillvaSillva "Get back up so I can knock you down again." Joined: Posts: 16
    cr. mp(CH) -> ultra it also has a lot of active frames. Great for breaking focus.
  • OShea8081OShea8081 Joined: Posts: 7
    Best move to use during wakeup?
  • traxustraxus Joined: Posts: 315
    From the looks of it: st. lp - cr.mk, & st. rh - cr. mk.

I believe those are 2f links after they made his cr.mk 1f faster.
    Do we have the entire frame data for Rolento?
  • BlackThoughtBlackThought Duh Duh Duh Man Joined: Posts: 148
    close mk -cr. jab is a link .
    You don't have the luxury of criticizing when you are uninformed.

-light delta can link into st.HP
    -L Patriot is safe on first rekka, entire string is the same damage as H Patriot. Wut
    -air knife can combo to st.HP, st.HP, cr.mk (distance is a square away in corner, half without in training)
    -EX Stringer can link into EX Patriot into ultra
    -If you Delta Strike at max range, you're too far to combo but st.HP will still combo
    -Delta escape into j.HK fullscreen can combo into cr.MK

COMBO:

-cr.lpx2|cr.lkx2~cr.mk xx patriot
    -Delta strike~cr.HP xx patriot
    -cr.mk~EX Stinger knife~EX Patriot~U1
    NOTE, knife must come out really fast

CORNER:

-cr.mk xx EX Stinger Knife~EX Patriot~EX Patriot~U1
    NOTE: The first EX patriot is done right after the knife so that you hit your target at the top of the EX Patriot. Double EX Patriot can't be done alone.

edited June 2014
    His cr. mk has such deceiving range. What a joke
    djKun wrote: »
    st.MP. I haven't tried local or online play yet but in training, any of ryu's jump in and yun's dive kick can be beaten by st.MP.

It is hard to anti air with that move. I tried to anti air ryu's jump HK but it trades 50% of the time. (In training mode)

Edit: After EX Rekka on the corner, MP into Stinger reset is plus on block
    Post edited by 3rd strike on
  • kurokiirokurokiiro Joined: Posts: 3
    st HK into cr MK seemed spacing dependant, will whiff vs certain character hit boxes (standing or crouching, sadly)
    *haven't tested vs entire cast, had to leave for work
    Light patriot circle is -3(1st hit), so it can be punished.
    edited June 2014
    Patriot's range is too small for sure, can't be used the same way Fei is..

And if the first hit isn't safe, its obsolete as a poke/pressure tool...

Cri evrytiem
    edited June 2014
    3rd strike wrote: »
    His cr. mk has such deceiving range. What a joke
    djKun wrote: »

It is hard to anti air with that move. I tried to anti air ryu's jump HK but it trades 50% of the time. (In training mode)

Edit: After EX Rekka on the corner, MP into Stinger reset is plus on block

I haven't had that much issue with it. Even online, I've been able to punish jump ins pretty clean. The time where I traded was when I used st.MP really late.

EDIT: On some characters (or timing), you can totally do st.MP early and miss.
    Post edited by djKun on
  • Dragonfave723Dragonfave723 Kiss the future! Joined: Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Leak his theme already damn...

You're welcome.
    I'm hearing tons of different info on the rekkas. Is the 1st hit punishable at every range? Do the different rekkas have different frame data? Thanks.
  • EvilDave219EvilDave219 Joined: Posts: 180
    You can link cr.HK after EX Patriot for the hard knockdown. Not sure if it's character specific but I was able to get it to work on Honda, Cammy, and Elena so far.

Not sure about the frame data on the rekkas, but the heavy version has noticeably slower startup than the light.
    XBL/PSN - EvilDave219
    3DS - 0946-2252-8269
    You can also sweep after EX sting if you're close enough.

But distance-dependent combos don't seem reliable for use.
  • Yar1nYar1n Yata? Joined: Posts: 126
    How the hell dogura does that little hop after the throw ?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=MGC2hAHnJ_8#t=531

It seems like he's doing qcb+p but he ends it with pogo, but when I try, I can't do it!
    It looks more like qcb+k since he jumps into the air. And with qcb+k, you can at least use d.mk.

Thing is, how does he executive it and create a wall to jump off immediately? and the video is recent too, so i doubt they changed anything from that date to now.
  • Scrubby AdrianScrubby Adrian Joined: Posts: 189
    Does his rekka have any use except for guaranteed punishes? The range is so shit on it that it cannot even be hit-confirmed in time. Fucking Capcom, they can't balance characters for shit.

You kinda sound like you suck at this game, bro.

All the things you're asking can be tested on your own using the training room. There is no way you could've put in enough time or played enough people to know if this character is good or not.

PS: Watching a video would be more than enough info to tell you that you don't throw out his rekka and try to hit confirm with it like you would with Fei Long. Bro, seriously...

MvC3! Because SF4 wasn't quite easy enough for you.
    light rekka first hit is -3, medium rekka first hit is -4, hard rekka first hit is-6. then all the other rekkas after first hit are pretty negative. no need to mention.
  • EvilDave219EvilDave219 Joined: Posts: 180
    is there any reason to use anything other than a light rekka for the first rekka? They all do the same damage, it's less unsafe on block, and I think it starts up faster (not sure though).
    XBL/PSN - EvilDave219
    3DS - 0946-2252-8269
    edited June 2014

You kinda sound like you suck at this game, bro.

All the things you're asking can be tested on your own using the training room. There is no way you could've put in enough time or played enough people to know if this character is good or not.

PS: Watching a video would be more than enough info to tell you that you don't throw out his rekka and try to hit confirm with it like you would with Fei Long. Bro, seriously...
    Hey "bro"...did you ever think that maybe I don't have the DLC yet? I played a shit-ton of Rolento in SFxT, he plays the same way in both games (minus the boost combos, of course). I've played enough Street Fighter in my life that I can tell if a tool is good or bad by reading the frame data and taking an overall look at the character. Not having any safe chip pressure in a game with MANY defensive options is bad. He has slow walk speed, a roll that's unsafe and VERY telegraphed, and his jump is floaty. His wake-up is also meter-dependent.

Having safe chip pressure in game a with focus attacks, DWU, invincible backdashes, and other shit is always a plus. That's why I was asking. I won't get to use the character until the end of June, I'm merely gathering information beforehand.

EDIT: You don't hit-confirm with a rekka. You hit-confirm INTO it. That's why I mentioned the shitty range on cr. mk.

@EvilDave219‌

Since its apparently unsafe, don't use any of them on block. Doesn't matter on hit if they all do the same damage. It actually doesn't make sense to give the rekkas different frame data if they're all unsafe but do the same damage. *shrug*

• TheKillerKiwiTheKillerKiwi Joined: Posts: 256
    Does rolento play similar to anyone? Thinking about playing him but I have 0 knowledge on him.
    Yun player since AE.
    From what I'm reading, he still looks fun and cool to play. :)

Btw how are his dashes?

Oh, and that Rolento theme is just another reason to play him more. SO HYPE.

Yar1n wrote: »

It seems like he's doing qcb+p but he ends it with pogo, but when I try, I can't do it!

I think that is suppose to be a glitch.

This right?
  • Sceeterguy34Sceeterguy34 Wannabe Street Fighter Joined: Posts: 43
    Ryg wrote: »

Yo, is anyone else having issue with this? I might not be amazing but I can hit most of my safejumps 99% of the time but I think I'm screwing up the HP timing, such a weird hitbox.

• NevermoreNevermore Scrubby in disguise. Joined: Posts: 1,194
    edited June 2014

Yo, is anyone else having issue with this? I might not be amazing but I can hit most of my safejumps 99% of the time but I think I'm screwing up the HP timing, such a weird hitbox.

Do a forward throw, s.short and then do the j.fierce and you will get it every time.

Yar1n wrote: »

I think that is suppose to be a glitch.

This right?

Yeah that seems right. What are the conditions to trigger the glitch ?
    Well you would use the other rekkas for range purposes depending on the characters placement.
    Did you guys figured any anti-backdash option selects? His crouching jabs / standing jabs are not really chainables so trying to get a sweep / s.rh as an option select doesn't really work (at least from what i tried)
  • Dragonfave723Dragonfave723 Kiss the future! Joined: Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Combos/Setups guide