USF4 Tier List Thread (updated October 2015)

Comments

• otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,184
    Suck that bipson
  • NooctaNoocta Didja see that ? Joined: Posts: 2,418
    Kyoku doesn't come to EVO, right ?
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
  • jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
    No.
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
  • TheRealMarzTheRealMarz Joined: Posts: 173
    Which good characters does Bison do well against?

Ibuki, Akuma, Viper?

Not really knowledgeable about him but I know a lot of Bison players think he's strong now.
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,522
    Bison poops on Decapre
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • TrickfingerTrickfinger Joined: Posts: 8
    Wait, so Dan and Deejay won majors? Which ones?
    Decapre, Viper, Ibuki, Evil Ryu, Dudley, Juri, Makoto, Oni, does well against fireball characters, T Hawk, he sucks but he beats E. Honda now.
  • p0tat0 5aladp0tat0 5alad I like orange. Joined: Posts: 1,278
    Also T.Hawk & Hakan have won majors?
    UMvC3 - Spencer/Task/Skrull
    AE - Abel
  • MachoRhombusMachoRhombus Joined: Posts: 2,919
    edited March 2015
    EBI won a tourney in Japan with Hakan, not sure about Hawk, Dan (maybe Ixion?) and Dee Jay
    CFN ID - PenguinShivers

MJ|Shivers.
    I would be surprised if Hawk never won anything.
    I started this discussions mainly because the fact that Bison never won a tournament was pretty common knowledge and somewhat a running joke.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
  • HalberdiusHalberdius mm my hugo juggles.. watch him make people soar. Joined: Posts: 228
    Hugo is amazing in 4. Just gotta know how to use him.. People said Hugo sucked a long time ago on 3s. But I juggle people all day with Hugo on 3s now..
    Hammer mountain! O_O..... KO
    ストリートファイタ3
    Twitch.tv/halberdius
  • ProfProf Fresh Joined: Posts: 2,029
    That doesn't mean he's good. I was beating people with Claw in vanilla, too, he was still a very underwhelming character.

As for how Ultra Hugo is, eh. I dunno.
    edited March 2015
    Hugo is underrated but by no means amazing.

I could wreck people online with Dee Jay in the previous patch, he still sucked and was free on wakeup.
    Noocta wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Hawk never won anything.
    I started this discussions mainly because the fact that Bison never won a tournament was pretty common knowledge and somewhat a running joke.

Mainly cause Guile too stronk. A fairly decent Guile is so many problems. It's funny I watch some streams and people on commentary are like "Naaaaaah, learn the match man". What is there to learn? You can't get in until he makes a mistake. That's like going to a T. Hawk player in AE2012 and saying "Learn the Blanka matchup scrub, learn to punish those safe Blanka Balls". Bison Army did pretty good this weekend though since they didn't run into Guile.
    I'm pretty sure either Tampa or Hiro played one of the 3 good Guile there, or maybe I'm thinking of another tournament.
    Hon,estly, Bison vs Guile just doesn't look as bad as before. Seems winnable now.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
    Yeah, thanks to the ex scissors buff, and he's in trouble more in the corner cause of the health nerf. You can react to the sonic booms now. Before it was mostly yolo.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,484
    edited March 2015
    I still remember Phenom making headlines by beating imstilldadaddy at.. was it Dreamhack last year? You know the MU is pretty bad when you get INTARWEBS HEADLINES from beating a strong Guile player in a tournament with Bison. =V
  • ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2015
    Momochi actually picked Elena because she's a good counter to Bison. He used her specifically against Neurosis.

Why stress yourself out in an even match up when you can pick up a character that's easy to play?

Infiltration, Momochi, Gamerbee, Valmaster, Justin Wong, Chris G, and Xian all have a pocket Elena.
    Post edited by Shinebox on
    Gamerbee said on Twitter that Elena is very easy to learn, she only require execution.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
  • TeriosTerios Where do you want me to break you first? Joined: Posts: 1,675
    Elaborate on the Elena/Bison matchup please? I saw Hiro vs Momochi but didn't really gleam what made it worse than Guile. Slide punished Psycho Crusher well, good walkspeed and buttons to mess with scissors in neutral and ability to put out good damage on overhead just enough? Doesn't look TOO bad. I mean I don't think Guile is a total clusterfuck anymore either. I'm just curious what makes it hard counter rather than just advantaged.
    Rashiidoooooooo!
  • bypostmanbypostman Joined: Posts: 2,207
    edited March 2015
    I wonder how much it would have helped in the Snake vs Art matchup

At least it would have been less torturous
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,522
    "LP GH is a buff in disguise"

Sure thing huh.

It's better vs. Blanka I think, but yeah probably worse in 3/4's of matches.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2015
    Watching Xian vs Momochi reminded of something I forgot to mention that stood out to me about ver1.04 changes...

The change to Ken's cr.MK (hurtbox past hitbox) actually affected the Gen match up. I don't think Ken beats Gen anymore and this match up went back to 5-5. Once Gen has meter there is not much Ken can throw out a as a safe poke. Add to the fact that Gen's super damage was increased as well.

These two things shifted the match up back towards Gen.
    -Crouching MP damage increased from 60 to 70.
    -Zan’ei damage increased from 250 to 300.

• mowrmowr VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,862
    jebop wrote: »
    Hugo is underrated but by no means amazing.

Hugo is solid bottom tier because, even though a lot of matches aren't that bad for him, he has more solid 7-3's than anyone else except maybe Dhalsim.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=nZbQctu85BY

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • arthongarthong Art's Hobbies - Plexi Dude Joined: Posts: 800
    I haven't kept up with all the newest updates and lastest tier lists, so I'm curious how do well played Blankas fair nowadays.

I ask this specific question because of this:

I have a colleague who's entering in the Norcal Regionals and he's fully confident he will excel favorably among his competition. However, here's also the thing

1) It's his first Tournament ever. He's just been playing online with 360 as his skill gauge
    2) He claims to win the majority of his battles, including a few A ranked individuals.
    3) He uses a 360 controller. Not a fightstick, not a Fightpad, but literally the 360 analog controller
    4) He was surprisingly unfamiliar with Zangief gameplay, losing to a well played Zangief.

Given those conditions, I personally think the odds are against him, but then again I'm not entirely familiar with where Blanka stands currently. I'd challenge him with my T. Hawk, but I'm sorely out of practice. I'm curious as to what you guys think will be his result.

I tried to caution him that he'll be facing some very strong players, but he's not phased.... Is his confidence justified?
    Plexi-covers and Etchings for your TE, HRAP, VSHG & More to come.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/61858/
    My Website : http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies
  • Slick_TonySlick_Tony That Guy Joined: Posts: 34
    Honestly... no, his confidence is not justified. Blanka is, in my opinion, a solid C-tier character who's only saving grace is his shenanigans. And while your friend very well might win the majority of his online matches, including against a few A-rank individuals, online cannot be used as a measuring stick for how well someone would fair in a offline tournament. Case and point: when I stopped playing AE around 6 months ago, I was ranked as the 750th or so best Guile on Xbl. But I by no means have the skills needed to win a major tournament. I still, on occasion, lost to some D-ranks. All in all online skill is quite different from offline skill. But I wish your friend the best of luck.
    Xbl: xESL_Slick_Tony
    PSN: TSG_Slick_Tony
    SFV: Ryu, Guile, Balrog
    USF4: Guile, Balrog, Fei Long
    Omega SF4: Guile, Bison, Ryu
    SFxT: Guile/Bison, Rolento/Law, Ryu/Hugo, Balrog/Steve
    MK9: Sub-Zero, Ermac, Johnny Cage
    MKX: Liu Kang (Flame Fists), Johnny Cage (Stunt Double), Sub-Zero (Cryomancer(Hooray for buffs!))
    IGAU: Superman, Grundy, Green Arrow
    TR: Marshall Law
  • arthongarthong Art's Hobbies - Plexi Dude Joined: Posts: 800
    Slick_Tony wrote: »
    Honestly... no, his confidence is not justified. Blanka is, in my opinion, a solid C-tier character who's only saving grace is his shenanigans. And while your friend very well might win the majority of his online matches, including against a few A-rank individuals, online cannot be used as a measuring stick for how well someone would fair in a offline tournament. Case and point: when I stopped playing AE around 6 months ago, I was ranked as the 750th or so best Guile on Xbl. But I by no means have the skills needed to win a major tournament. I still, on occasion, lost to some D-ranks. All in all online skill is quite different from offline skill. But I wish your friend the best of luck.

That's pretty much my thought as well. I was just trying to see if there's something about Blanka that I'm unaware of that may make him a formidable challenger. He's more of a colleague who is just really "confident" of his abilities. I'm trying to warn him to try and humble down, but he may very well just need to learn the hard way. Good luck to him, indeed.
    Plexi-covers and Etchings for your TE, HRAP, VSHG & More to come.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/61858/
    My Website : http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies
  • ES_CurseES_Curse Get ready for emanci-PAIN SON Joined: Posts: 8,384
    Hugo's problem is that he loses a few match ups really badly and doesn't win vs relevant characters enough to justify playing him.

And Elena still requires some learning even without practicing execution. She has to sometimes answer the opponent in a pretty unintuitive manner because her jump is terrible and anti-airing with her is awkward. It's a bit more evident in Elena's bad match ups, which most top players don't use her for because she's a pocket character.
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
    He's gonna get destroyed. Tell him to get ready to play a lot of casual matches and try to learn.
    Rashiidoooooooo!
  • malcybmalcyb Joined: Posts: 124
    Was having a discussion with friends. Anyone think Akuma could be better than Emo Ryu with the new buffs?
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 9,059
    On pure tools and damage output , I think he could be with his better walk. His health though keeps him in check IMO. That's always been the trade off for Akuma.
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 10,691
    malcyb wrote: »
    Was having a discussion with friends. Anyone think Akuma could be better than Emo Ryu with the new buffs?

Most of the stuff I've been seeing on Twitter from various top players is saying the top 2 characters in the game are Akuma and Ken.

• Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    merging to the tier thread
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • Slick_TonySlick_Tony That Guy Joined: Posts: 34
    As of right now, where would you guys rank Guile? I think he is a solid mid-tier character but Eventhubs has him ranked as 18th. Which I think might be a little too high. Of course they also have Cammy listed as number 1 so I probably should not take the list that seriously.
    Xbl: xESL_Slick_Tony
    PSN: TSG_Slick_Tony
    SFV: Ryu, Guile, Balrog
    USF4: Guile, Balrog, Fei Long
    Omega SF4: Guile, Bison, Ryu
    SFxT: Guile/Bison, Rolento/Law, Ryu/Hugo, Balrog/Steve
    MK9: Sub-Zero, Ermac, Johnny Cage
    MKX: Liu Kang (Flame Fists), Johnny Cage (Stunt Double), Sub-Zero (Cryomancer(Hooray for buffs!))
    IGAU: Superman, Grundy, Green Arrow
    TR: Marshall Law
  • LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,905
    edited March 2015

I think they both have trade offs at this point. In terms of damage, they both hit like tanks now though one area E.Ryu still has an advantage is he has more ways to get into his damage.

Akuma has better ground buttons overall and better zoning, E.Ryu has a better frame trap throw game.

They both have strengths and weaknesses now. But I wouldn't say Akuma is better. There are still things that E.Ryu does significantly better.
    Post edited by LoyalSol on
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,669
    HNIC Mike wrote: »

Most of the stuff I've been seeing on Twitter from various top players is saying the top 2 characters in the game are Akuma and Ken.

This sounds more like who the best are playing atm than anything else.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
  • bypostmanbypostman Joined: Posts: 2,207
    Yeah, where are the american akumas
    Who are the American Akumas?
    Rashiidoooooooo!