Short Interviews w/ AfroLegends and Damdai

TheMuffinManTheMuffinMan 「満」 「寸」 「越」Joined: Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
Just finished posting these up on strevival.com. Enjoy!

AFROLEGENDS
DAMDAI
"That you float along in the ocean and live a life of peace does not come from your own resourcefulness." - Demon's Sermon on Martial Arts

Comments

• SpidercarnageSpidercarnage Joined: Posts: 91
    Very nice job. I enjoyed both interviews.
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Great stuff!
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • mrdhalsimmrdhalsim Joined: Posts: 378
    Awesome interviews, good to see this! AfroLegends won 8-2 as DeeJay against my Dhalsim this week online! I fared better with Ryu but once you go up against his huge combos, one or two hits could mean the round and you're out. He kind of had that ability before so I think he's just making better use of DeeJay's normals, can't be sure but good to see him getting in top shape for the big show this year. And Damdai representing the east coast, take off some of the pressure from each other maybe, with the big foreign invasion headed your way. Get in as many games as you can and make sure to record all this! Good luck

• hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    Good work!

Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
  • SesshomaruSesshomaru Joined: Posts: 576
    its hard to retire from ST, the best fighting game ever, some argue HF is the best one and ST bein g the second best
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 284
    ^ I don't think I played HF much, so I'd place ST above it and HDR a hair above that. Is HF more balanced or something?

Cool interviews btw.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    Random wrote: »
    ^ I don't think I played HF much, so I'd place ST above it and HDR a hair above that. Is HF more balanced or something?

Cool interviews btw.

HF is a pretty well-balanced game. The entire cast roster is viable, with maybe the exception of Claw and Dictator, but even that's debatable. So when 14/16 characters are usable in a tournament, that's a pretty awesome ratio that you won't in any other game.
    Wow, that is pretty balanced. 14/16 is better than anything I can think of atm.
    Wow, that is pretty balanced. 14/16 is better than anything I can think of atm.

Whoops, just noticed I accidentally counted the Super characters, so it's more like 10/12. You get the idea.
    edited July 2014
    As someone who played HF extensively, I'd say Rog, Bison, and Vega (especially if he lands on his own stage) are absolutely horrendous compared to the tools the rest of the cast has. Gief (with his no wiff SPD and great kick lariat) may have snuck into the top tier with Ryu and Guile. The rest of the cast is ok. I'd be interested to see what ST chun players could do with HF Chun's full screen non charge fireball.
  • SesshomaruSesshomaru Joined: Posts: 576
    are USA and JPN versions of HF the same? or chars have different attributes?

Ps:CPS1 chains make the game broken.
    edited July 2014
    Sesshomaru wrote: »
    are USA and JPN versions of HF the same? or chars have different attributes?

Ps:CPS1 chains make the game broken.

No they don't. The high dizzy output of CPS1 SF2 in general kind of evens out those who have the CPS1 chains and those who don't. I don't think I've ever seen a comparison of HF roms. Since HF wasn't really that popular outside the US I don't think anyone really cares. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a regional breakdown of any SF2 rom besides ST.

edited July 2014
    EDIT
    Post edited by Random on
    @studtrooper Chun had a non-charge FULL SCREEN fireball? Well shit, I'd like to get into HF, try it out. Seeing what ST players could do with it would be interesting, too. As an HDR player I know I'd love it. Don't tell me she had a working anti-air too or I'll lose my shit.
    Don't tell me she had a working anti-air too or I'll lose my shit.

I think her SBK may have gave her a wake-up reversal escape/semi anti-air like O.Chun had in ST. Not sure though since I don't play her.

If it's reliable, I'm switching to HF and never looking back.
    Her SBK can be used as a semi reversal, since it has a lot of invulnerability, but still gets blown up by lows.

But she's quite good. Really good normals on the ground and in the air. Just played a bit of HF tonight at Super Arcade, and she can be a handful. Still loses to basic zoning patterns due to her super floaty jump, but solid character to play.

The best thing is Gief's kick lariat. Holy shit. They should've never changed Gief since HF. He is too much fun.
    edited July 2014
    Sounds fair, don't mind lows, it's jump-ins that scare me.

Glad I got a 360 now, I don't see this on PS3. How's the online community? I just may dive in...for all my love of HDR, I need me some competent Chun!
    edited July 2014
    EDIT
    edited July 2014
    Sounds fair, don't mind lows, it's jump-ins that scare me.

Glad I got a 360 now, I don't see this on PS3. How's the online community? I just may dive in...for all my love of HDR, I need me some competent Chun!

The HF XB360 community dried up the second HDR came out. I occasionally play some HF on there and still find quarter matches going on surprisingly. Don't expect to find ranked matches though.
    Could be worse, nobody could be on, like Dive Kick (really would've got into it, too). I'll check it out when I get a chance.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Chun doesn't have a floaty jump, just HF projectiles have shorter recovery - and ST Chun players whining, can you believe that? That same jump gets pretty annoying in ST since shotos' and Sagat's projectiles have been nerfed and her Kikouken recovers fast, which means she is often free to punish predicted projectiles with jumping attacks. The higher altitude of her jump arc benefits her more, since in CPS-1 she's mostly vulnerable around her head.

The projectile is pretty good for zoning non-fireball chars, but does not work so well as anti-air and come out slower, so it's way worse in combos. Her cr.fwd is not stupid as in ST, and her far standing strong does not hit low, therefore she's not that footsie monster. She's relatively weak under pressure, sort of like Guile and N.Sagat.
    Sorry, I'm having a tough time understanding what you're saying. HF Chun doesn't have a floaty jump like in ST? And her HF fireball has shorter recovery, too?

She's already weak under pressure IMO anyway, at least she sounds like a glass cannon in HF, if I'm understanding you correctly.