HORI Fighting Commander 4 for PS3 and PS4

d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPITJoined: Posts: 36,777 mod
main_f.jpg
http://www.hori.jp/products/ps4/ps4_ftc/

Looks like Hori's bringing back the Fighting Commander with a new PS3/PS4 version similar to the HRAP.V4.

Here's hoping that this one is built tougher than the first FC3 Pro.

Comments

• FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,500
    I love my Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro (even if I don't use it religiously).

They really should get rid of the rotating-joystick feature, though; that detail is pretty useless.
    I don't mind the diagonals-sensitivity-changing feature, but they could probably get rid of that too and I'd never give it a second thought.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • KnitemereKnitemere Joined: Posts: 9
    Sites on Play-asia and some ebay sellers have them for sale... Someone buy one and find out how it looks inside!!
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 744
    Just why did they have to keep the rotating d-pad? I went through 8 controllers because of that.

• Regulat0rRegulat0r Joined: Posts: 42
    Tarek, would that work on a madcatz fightpad per chance? All of my fightpads are no good just because of the silicone dpad underneath is worn out and if that could work the same way that BE FUCKING AWESOME!

And this is very exciting news, i have always been a pad player and have been forcing myself to use a stick just because you can't find durable 6 button layout pads. Im pumped!
  • el grecoel greco Lite Dash Joined: Posts: 366
    I'd definitely like to see a basic guide on that if possible
  • TarekTarek Joined: Posts: 228
    edited June 2014
    Regulat0r wrote: »
    Tarek, would that work on a madcatz fightpad per chance? All of my fightpads are no good just because of the silicone dpad underneath is worn out and if that could work the same way that BE FUCKING AWESOME!

And this is very exciting news, i have always been a pad player and have been forcing myself to use a stick just because you can't find durable 6 button layout pads. Im pumped!

I've never owned a madcatz fightpad so i have no idea how it looks like inside, you need to experiment on your own however i do know it definitely works for the HFC3P.

@el greco I only have the one controller so i can't make another one but i do have a picture of the final result.

Here is a simple guide:

You will need the following items: Scissors, super glue and an xbox 360 rubber d pad.
    The rubber membrane on the xbox 360 is larger then the HFC3P. So all you have to do is use the rubber membrane on the HFC3P as a guide and cut the xbox 360 rubber membrane into 4 parts and start trimming away until you position the buttons evenly and make it match the HFC3P.
    Once the size is the same then what you need to do is glue it all together and wait for it to dry.
    After its dried make sure the buttons match the rubber membrane on the HFC3P and then trim the edge so it fits in the controller.
    Now cut 4 small circles using cardboard (I used a tissue box to do this) and make sure the circles are the same size as the buttons on the rubber membrane and glue it on. This is to raise the height of the buttons and then put it all together and it should work fine.

I've tried using nintendo and ps3 rubber parts but the metal conductor on those are too small and don't register the inputs properly so the xbox 360 works best.

2rm2jjp.jpg
  • Regulat0rRegulat0r Joined: Posts: 42
    You are amazing. I am trying it right now as I type this. But it looks like ill have to just glue the 4 different contact points to the contact pad bezel. Should work.

To bad they dont make fight commanders for the 360, could use a converter but i heard they give input lag. Still stoked for it though, I wonder when it will come out in the states?
  • VonAnteroVonAntero Joined: Posts: 7
    I just recently got the FC3 non-pro due to bad reviews of the pro's dpad. Interesting to see how this turns out. Hopefully they made it sturdier
    edited July 2014
    Regulat0r wrote: »
    You are amazing. I am trying it right now as I type this. But it looks like ill have to just glue the 4 different contact points to the contact pad bezel. Should work.

To bad they dont make fight commanders for the 360, could use a converter but i heard they give input lag. Still stoked for it though, I wonder when it will come out in the states?

I didn't glue anything on the pad bezel so i'm not sure if that will work. I only glued the 4 parts together refer to the picture above ^ and added 4 pieces of cardboard cut in small circles and glued on the buttons to raise the height.

Good luck!
    My Hori Fighting Commander 4 just arrived. By far the best HFC controller I have used yet. The D-pads feel is similiar to the gempad so hopefully it won't break down as easily!
  • ashstampedeashstampede Joined: Posts: 249
    Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In!
    Friend Code:1607-2342-6040
    Knitemere wrote: »
    My Hori Fighting Commander 4 just arrived. By far the best HFC controller I have used yet. The D-pads feel is similiar to the gempad so hopefully it won't break down as easily!

Is their any differences compared to the HFC3P?
  • XiTaUXiTaU Joined: Posts: 4
    I really like my Hori fighting commander 3 non pro except for the lack of switchable left and right buttons.
    I would rather them bring back that setup as i have grown used to it rather then the moveable dpad.
    Tarek wrote: »

Yes there are some differences, the L-R swaps are now L1-L3, L2-R3 to R1-L1, R2-L2. Which means if you play with 8 buttons on the right side the L1 and L2 will be different buttons now.

The D-pad tho feels alot sturdier compare to HFC3P.

Using it on Steam with Better DS3 it registers on its own.

Other misc things: Share button, R1 and R2 buttons on pad are light gray some reason.
    edited July 2014

Yes there are some differences, the L-R swaps are now L1-L3, L2-R3 to R1-L1, R2-L2. Which means if you play with 8 buttons on the right side the L1 and L2 will be different buttons now.

Other misc things: Share button, R1 and R2 buttons on pad are light gray some reason.

Good to know, I received mine a while back, but I was thinking of using it when I get my ps4.
    XiTaU wrote: »
    I really like my Hori fighting commander 3 non pro except for the lack of switchable left and right buttons.
    I would rather them bring back that setup as i have grown used to it rather then the moveable dpad.

I have the non-pro as well, despite doing some modding to have the shoulder buttons reversed, I never use it, I don't find it very ergonomic.

• PrinceMurphyPrinceMurphy Joined: Posts: 322
    Does anyone know if the pcb is common ground and has easy solder points?
  • XiTaUXiTaU Joined: Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    C-Sword wrote: »
    I have the non-pro as well, despite doing some modding to have the shoulder buttons reversed, I never use it, I don't find it very ergonomic.

I use mine to play steam games beats the hell out of using a 360 dpad.
    For fighting games id much prefer a stick anyways so the investment on a fight pad was abit over kill.
  • gaemmkgaemmk Joined: Posts: 170
    edited July 2014
    I had sworn off Hori pads after the Hfc3 dpad rubber debacle; However, I ended up getting the gempad which is a terrible dpad with a sturdy rubber contact. I really wish that the pad makers would just make a pad that lets you change out the rubber contacts easily once they go bad. Just make a little hatch in the back that grants you easy access to the dpad and sell replacable contacts. The Hori pad dpad will still be too flush to the pad, though. It's too low by a few eights of an inch imo. Anyway, I've given up on buying new pads. I do work on ps3 pad, and as Luffy showed us, work can be done on Ps1 pad, which I already knew which is why I bought one for $1.99 from a goodwill a year ago. Stay free pad makers. Sega Saturn pad is still our master.
  • el grecoel greco Lite Dash Joined: Posts: 366
    It's no big deal, but Hori and Alps manufactured all the PS 1/2 pads for Sony.

If you look on the back of your pad it will have an H for Hori or A for Alps.
    So I finally tried it, d-pad feels the same as the old one, I don't expect it to last very long

• chrischunchrischun Joined: Posts: 108
    Any news on whether this controller's pcb is common ground or not?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,402
    chrischun wrote: »
    From how the Hori FPS controller was like for the PS4, its a safe bet to say it unlikely.
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
  • Gray_Fox_NinjaGray_Fox_Ninja Joined: Posts: 5

now that you had it for a few days, is the dpad really better than 3pro?
    Its still working fine at the moment.
    Its still working fine at the moment.

that's good to know my friend but in your opinion is it better than HFC3P? i just don't wanna drop 85 bucks on it if the d-pad is worst than the one on HFC3P.
    It's the same d-pad, looks and feels the same

edited August 2014
    C-Sword wrote: »
    It's the same d-pad, looks and feels the same

ah ok i see! thanks for letting me know i didn't read your older post, i guess i'll just stay with my HFC3P for now since they didn't make any improvements to the d-pad on the HFC4. it seems like the only reason they even made the HFC4 was to make it PS4 compatible
    Post edited by Gray_Fox_Ninja on
    since they didn't make any improvements to the d-pad
    Why are people surprised at this?
    I doubted even from the beginning that they'd "fix" the d-pad. I actually don't have any issues with my HFC3Pro's D-pad, so it's moot to me either way.
    it seems like the only reason they even made HFC4 was to make it PS4 compatible
    Obviously. Why would you think otherwise?

Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
  • chrischunchrischun Joined: Posts: 108
    Darksakul wrote: »
    chrischun wrote: »
    From how the Hori FPS controller was like for the PS4, its a safe bet to say it unlikely.

Wouldn't hurt to check :D

If anyone could pop theirs open and take pics, I'm sure a lot of Xrd fans would appreciate it.
    edited August 2014
    ; )
    edited August 2014
    Why are people surprised at this?
    did it seem like i was to you? i wasn't
    I actually don't have any issues with my HFC3Pro's D-pad, so it's moot to me either way.
    exactly!
    Obviously. Why would you think otherwise?
    by the way you're using the word Obviously it sounds like you have the HFC4 and you actually know what you're talking about but then again you talk about not having any problems with your HFC3P which leads me to think that you don't have a HFC4 and if that's the case then your reply doesn't do too much for me. i wasn't sure if to buy one or not so i was i kind of asking people that actually do have a HFC4 for their opinion on the matter

Post edited by Gray_Fox_Ninja on
  • Dragoonhead WindgodDragoonhead Windgod Only in pink Joined: Posts: 14
    Hi guys !

Sorry to bump this thread, but a good friend of mine a HFC4 and want to use it on 360, especially on tournaments. Sadly, since the Cronus Max is banned because of lagging issues, do you know a good converter for this pad who is lagless and tournament-ready ?
    do you know a good converter for this pad who is lagless and tournament-ready ?
    Nope. There is no recommended/reliable retail converter that's tournament-friendly that converts 360-->PS3 or PS3-->360.
    Sadly, since the Cronus Max is banned because of lagging issues
    That's actually not why the Cronus Max is banned, but that's a whole separate story entirely.

Looking for:
  • Dragoonhead WindgodDragoonhead Windgod Only in pink Joined: Posts: 14
    since the Cronus Max is banned because of lagging issues

the Cronus is banned because of the Macro support and reports of USB ports becoming damaged after Cronus device use.
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
  • MayhemMayhem Mostly Harmless Joined: Posts: 577
    edited September 2014
    Sorry to bump this thread, but a good friend of mine a HFC4 and want to use it on 360, especially on tournaments. Sadly, since the Cronus Max is banned because of lagging issues, do you know a good converter for this pad who is lagless and tournament-ready ?
    Though it'd be pretty expensive, you could build your own converter using one of Undamned's USB decoders along with a suitable 360-compatible PCB. If using an Akishop Customs PS360+ such a converter could even be used for both PS3->360 and 360->PS3!
    Once I start I cannot stop myself
  • hummmkkkhummmkkk Joined: Posts: 4
    I love this pad, but just hate the dpad... the PS3 dpad is the perfect size.
    Any one knows how to do a mod and make the dpad smaller? Fused PS3 dpad with 6 facing buttons from HFC4? :) that would be sick!
  • phaedrusphaedrus Joined: Posts: 818
    edited December 2014
    EDIT: accidental post.
    7 button is trap.
    edited December 2014
    hummmkkk wrote: »
    I love this pad, but just hate the dpad... the PS3 dpad is the perfect size.
    Any one knows how to do a mod and make the dpad smaller? Fused PS3 dpad with 6 facing buttons from HFC4? :) that would be sick!
    You have to cut apart the pad you are modding and the pad with the donor parts,
    Epoxy case parts together, and fill gaps with bondo
    primer, paint and clear coat your game pad unless you like your game pads looking like they been though a auto shop.

kIj1Vl.jpg
    and this does not even address the electrical modifications inside the pad

Alternative case modification methods would include cutting material on a CNC machine and 3D Printing
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.