PACIFIC RIM 2

Comments

• kdash420kdash420 Look at mah trucker hat Joined: Posts: 322
    michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

• SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    lol fuck no. That movie was Epidemic's wet dream...just CGI mech's that all looked pretty human, punching random kaiju's that looked like animals in the face. Round one, punch a gorilla. Round two, punch a bear. Round three, punch a crocodile. Round four, punch a bat. Round five, punch some fish.
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • PterodactylPterodactyl The time has come and so have I Joined: Posts: 7,202
    edited June 2014
    SoVi3t wrote: »
    so to disprove my theory that PR1 was mostly just CGI boxing, you show me a video of CommieBot punching Leatherface in the head? o.0

PR1 took giant mechs and kaiju's, and made them rockem sockem robots.

I expect...nay, I DEMAND, that PR2 takes advantage of the fact this is giant monsters/mech's we are talking about, and goes all out.

Are you talking to me?

I didn't say it wasn't boxing-like, I didn't even mention boxing in my post.

I just said Godzilla was slower, and that giant robots shouldn't be going super fast because it would be stupid.

Also, having the robots bust out the god-mode swords would be lame for the same reason letting Godzilla use his Atomic breath uninterrupted and early in fights is/would be lame.

It removes the entertaining back and forth of the fight, it turns it into a boring stomp instead of a legit brawl.

And take advantage like how? Give us some brilliant ideas that don't involve them punching each other really hard or using swords for everything.

I'm trying to imagine what you expected to see when it was clearly presented to everyone exactly what the movie was going to be before it was even released.
    spread'em
  • MechWarriorMechWarrior Joined: Posts: 5,718
    edited June 2014
    lol fuck no. That movie was Epidemic's wet dream...just CGI mech's that all looked pretty human, punching random kaiju's that looked like animals in the face. Round one, punch a gorilla. Round two, punch a bear. Round three, punch a crocodile. Round four, punch a bat. Round five, punch some fish.
    How hard can someone miss the message of a movie?
    Since you did this so bad
    osxxrcv.jpg
    I'll break it down a bit.

The few fighting, supporting, and if necessary, dying so that the many would live.
    Every time a 2-pilot Jaeger ended the life of a Kaiju, thousands of people were kept safe.

This was more than about the fights, it was about WHY they were fighting.
    As Pentecost said, for each other.

If you could step into a Jaeger and keep those you cared for safe by putting your life on the line
    would you do it?

Think about it.
    XBL: MechWarriorNY
    explain to me why u need two pilots to control a mech that mainly just punches shit in the face until its weak enough to FINISH HIM?
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

• crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,455
    edited June 2014
    How can it be boxing when the mechs are all about elbox drops, hip tosses and stupidly short range long range weaponary?

actually now i think about it, not 1 jab was thrown in the whole film :rofl:
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    explain to me why u need two pilots to control a mech that mainly just punches shit in the face until its weak enough to FINISH HIM?
    Because one pilot alone is not enough; the first Jaeger's pilot(a single pilot type) died from the neurological stress in seconds after turning it on.

That happened in the prequel comics.
    The more you know!
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,942
    Loved the first movie, was it perfect no, but damn if it wasn't entertaining and probably the best western based representation of Kaiju film ever.

Godzilla (2014) was good, probably more entertaining then it had any right to be, but Pacific Rim brought the goods in what I wanted to see, giant monsters getting torn the fuck up and destroying shit.

Not too jazzed about a potential animated show unless it is as good or better then the animated Hellboy movie Blood and Iron they did a few years back at least, but I would actually pay to see the sequel in 3D IMAX that first weekend.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
    wait how they gonna do a sequel when all the mechs are destroyed and the alien dimension has been nuked? I totally forgot about that

• GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The nuke closed the portal, not the whole dimension.

They can just build more.

The sequel can be set at literally any time.

There's even been talk that maybe the roles would be reversed. Consider that the Gipsy Danger was left in the other dimension, and even though it blew up, it's not like there's no chance of parts of it surviving.

There's lots of directions it could be taken
    I think if they were smart they'd ditch the Kaiju dimension for this next movie and take it to Space or something like that.

An instant "Nope, turns out it didn't work" would be kind of lame, i'd rather it be a surprise in the third movie, if there is a third movie.
    spread'em
    crucades wrote: »
    wait how they gonna do a sequel when all the mechs are destroyed and the alien dimension has been nuked? I totally forgot about that
    Striker and Gypsy are out of the picture, but Crimson Typhoon(in the Hong Kong Bay, missing it's head and one of the small saw hands) and Cherno Alpha(lying at the bottom of the Hong Kong Bay as well, got messed up a bit/armor got rocked a bit, dat acid, still about 60-70% undamaged though, RUSSIA MAKES YOU STRONG) are still mostly intact.

Movie in the limelight for the repaired versions?!
    f4JCAZPm.png?1
    edited June 2014
    I know WHY they used two people in the mechs. I'm not that dumb. However I do wonder what that triplet was doing, consider two pilots controlled two different brain hemispheres.

What I meant was they could have just automated the mechs, and let them do the punching.

Cuz 99% of the time, all they did was punch. Even that one rocket punch was slow as fuck. Was there even one mech kick in that movie?

edited June 2014
    I know WHY they used two people in the mechs. I'm not that dumb. However I do wonder what that triplet was doing, consider two pilots controlled two different brain hemispheres.

What I meant was they could have just automated the mechs, and let them do the punching.

Cuz 99% of the time, all they did was punch. Even that one rocket punch was slow as fuck. Was there even one mech kick in that movie?

No kick, but there was an elbow drop, a monster toss, a headlock, sword bisection, saw blade chops, boat bat swing to the face, tongue ripping, a rocket punch, plasma projectiles, and a robo-judo throw amongst other little things I can't remember, but mostly punching.

Then the monsters had their own shit that I don't feel like trying to remember or search for to list out.

When you have robots built to resemble humans(somewhat) with arms and legs and shit, punching things really hard until they're weak enough to kill seems like a logical course of action.

Especially when they made it a point to show that the monsters could tell when the robots were pulling out their big guns, as the gorilla looking motherfucker used an EMP to stop the Australia-bot from using it's anti-kaiju missiles, the flying one used its tail to kill the chinese robot before it could use it's big hand to kill it from behind, Cherno got acid blasted before it could activate it's big weapon, and knife head stabbed Gypsie through the arm to prevent it from shooting it's plasma gun. The Kaiju in the water were also doing that bullshit, to the point of the big one personally trying to intercept the nuke carrying robot. The only reason they cut the flying one in half was because it wasn't looking down at them while it was flying. Multiple times where the heroes try to pull out their crazy shit only to be shot down before activating it.
    spread'em
    The monsters could tell when the big guns were coming out, because there was a lull in the punches they were receiving to the face

So sorry that I expect my giant mech vs kaiju movies to be a little more exciting. Old school Godzilla fights > Pacific Rim fights. I don't even need to bring the 2014 Godzilla into this. I'll admit the kaiju had some interesting fight techniques occasionally, but the mech's were fucking terribad.

And to whoever said that Gypsy Danger is still around....ummmm, no, no she is not. She self destructed to close the portal. Did this confuse you, because she didn't punch the portal closed?

2014 godzilla sucked ass it would be wise to leave it wherever its decaying man

• SesshomaruSesshomaru Joined: Posts: 577
    So sorry that I expect my giant mech vs kaiju movies to be a little more exciting. Old school Godzilla fights > Pacific Rim fights. I don't even need to bring the 2014 Godzilla into this. I'll admit the kaiju had some interesting fight techniques occasionally, but the mech's were fucking terribad.

the-troll-is-strong-in-this-one-thumb.jpg
    edited June 2014
    Cool, movies not for you. Bounce the fuck outta the thread then dude.

Never said the movie wasn't for me. I was loving kaiju movies when you were still sperm. I like the general concept, but they need to make PR2 a hell of a lot better. Go back and watch the movie. Count the punches. What is Gypsy doing to Bat Kaiju the entire flight to space? Punching. What does Gypsy do to Gorilla kaiju? Punch it in the face, then rocket punch it, then grab train cars and PUNCH IT SOME MORE.

All I'm asking is the sequel better make Jaiger's better fighters. Explain again why they're wasting entire clips of ammo on a monster, knowing they gotta go fight another one. Explain how a kaiju can smash through a building with no problem, but a boat fucks it's world up and is indestructable. Explain how they forget they have a sword that should have been weapon choice #1 in every fight, yet isn't. How the fuck do you forget what weapons you have, in the first place? Gypsy had like 5 weapons. How do you forget one of them, especially one so versatile?

And no more fucking fights in the ocean, one after another.
    AND WAY FUCKING LESS PUNCHING!!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/28/hollywood-china-box-office-godzilla

Sorry what? Oh yeah, American movie setting a record for dominating asian box offices.

Greenlit for 2 sequels.

Sesshomaru wrote: »

oh nooooooes, SoVi3t logic is just too much logic. I have no actual answer or argument or reply or valid response in any way; shape; or form. Maybe a completely unrelated meme picture about trolls will save me!

No. No it did not.

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,608
    edited June 2014

Never said the movie wasn't for me. I was loving kaiju movies when you were still sperm. I like the general concept, but they need to make PR2 a hell of a lot better. Go back and watch the movie. Count the punches. What is Gypsy doing to Bat Kaiju the entire flight to space? Punching. What does Gypsy do to Gorilla kaiju? Punch it in the face, then rocket punch it, then grab train cars and PUNCH IT SOME MORE.

All I'm asking is the sequel better make Jaiger's better fighters. Explain again why they're wasting entire clips of ammo on a monster, knowing they gotta go fight another one. Explain how a kaiju can smash through a building with no problem, but a boat fucks it's world up and is indestructable. Explain how they forget they have a sword that should have been weapon choice #1 in every fight, yet isn't. How the fuck do you forget what weapons you have, in the first place? Gypsy had like 5 weapons. How do you forget one of them, especially one so versatile?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/28/hollywood-china-box-office-godzilla

Sorry what? Oh yeah, American movie setting a record for dominating asian box offices.

Greenlit for 2 sequels.

oh nooooooes, SoVi3t logic is just too much logic. I have no actual answer or argument or reply or valid response in any way; shape; or form. Maybe a completely unrelated meme picture about trolls will save me!

No. No it did not.
    You're like two years older then me dude. Not every Kaiju movie may be for you, like Pacific Rim for example.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited June 2014
    Shadowcuz wrote: »
    So sorry that I expect my giant mech vs kaiju movies to be a little more exciting. Old school Godzilla fights > Pacific Rim fights.

Very exciting indeed. Guillermo Del Toro needs to learn how to make fights.

G2SKXw4.gif

that shit inspired a meme. Oh, and Pacific fucking Rim.

Del Toro fight scenes are either punches, or tentacles tossing you around. Hentai fanboi alert!

Greenlit for 2 sequels.

No. No it did not.
    You're like two years older then me dude.

EXACTLY
    Not every Kaiju movie may be for you, like Pacific Rim for example.

Oh, it was for me. I just didn't appreciate it. Like a fat girl with small boobs.

It was good. But it could have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more.

More than punches.

No one cares if you want to compare things.
    Kindly cut it out.
    Soviet saying only good movies do well at the box office :rofl:

edited June 2014
    He had me going for a good while, I'll admit it.

Now, does anyone know what this movie will be about as of yet?

Wasn't there an interview on a website that had some of Del Toro or some PR writer's concepts.

I remember one being a mexican prison robot or some shit, and cyborg human controlled kaiju or whatever.
    spread'em
    nothing concrete

early ideas were making Newt the new villian

Chalie-Day-in-Pacific-Rim-.jpg
    “I remember when I first met with [Del Toro] that he liked the idea of Newt becoming a bit of a villain in the second film. But, I think over the course of making the film, and the way the character resonated with the audience, I don’t think he would want to turn him into a villain now, but I really have no idea.”

Much more recently however Del Toro has said...
    “I’ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure,” del Toro told MTV News, referring to one of the many giant robots that fight monsters. “We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special.”

“We’ve drifted with a Kaiju brain,” he observed .”Well, then start riffing on that and you’ll get to something.”

Not really a lot else to be found on the subject, so if I had to stretch, I would say Newt goes rogue, builds himself a Kaiju factory and controls them like Ant Man hell bent on world domination, the white dude from the Unit who took over as Marshal creates a new team of Jaigers to combat the threat... ???? Profit.

• SuicidalGrandpaSuicidalGrandpa Undeniably Free in 3S Joined: Posts: 3,453
    I don't give a shit how bad it looks. I'm goin.
    PSN: SGsrk
    SFV ID: BOOTYSWEAT69
    "Good" and "bad" are buzzwords with no real meaning anymore.

Gonna actually spend money to see it. In there.
    qUJACUF.gif
  • UnreallysticUnreallystic Painyatta Joined: Posts: 13,171
    Well I figured KAiju would get upgraded from the parts of Gypsy that sploded.

I figured us knowing them better would improve tech.

What I don't get though is a time frame. They have NO MECHS and it would take a bunch of time to build new ones. The program was shut down and I'm sure that destroying the portal, increased the chance that they won't re-open such an expensive program.

So either they blindly make new mechs...
    They Game Genie new mechs...
    Or this is in the future after the kaiju started appearing again...
    - :bluu:
    Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha are both still nearly-intact(Cherno got banged up a bit more, but it's still over 60% fine).
    Both are in lying in Hong Kong Bay.

"No mechs" is blatantly false. Could get them both at 100% within a year, lol.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,294
    edited July 2014
    A portal full of Kaiju came out of nowhere and wrecked humanity's shit once, it would make sense to keep at least a few working mechs maintained and an organisation on hand, even if just a skeleton of what it was before just in case shit happened again.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Finally saw Pacific Rim. It's... mediocre. Too much bloat, laughable dialog, giant plot holes. Some amazing cinematography, but that's it.

I think I had enough mindless entertainment to watch a sequel though.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz