How much does your arcade stick lag? Arcade stick input lag testing & results thread

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,806 mod
    edited July 2014
    Teyah wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    This. As @MarkMan has already pointed out, people have been winning on these things regardless of any input delay and, at the tested ratings, any lag isn't really detrimental to gameplay.

So you are okay with playing on a screen which has 31 ms delay, as opposed to the tourney standard of 10 ms (per displaylag.com)? I mean I guess you might be, but some people just want the smoothest, most seamless play experience, you know?
    Except, save for one instance, none of the tested sticks go beyond a single frame of lag.

At the end of the day, it's just giving people another excuse to blame instead of simply leveling themselves up.

"Optimal conditions" isn't something that should be used as a crutch (especially considering that top players have been winning consistently on the PRO). Better to learn to adapt to the hardware at hand instead of getting used only to one optimal setup(fun fact, at all 3 stream stations at SEAM2014, we just left sticks connected to the console and that's what 90% of the folks used).
    Can we stop passing this bit of information around. Unless the PS360+ actually has a bluetooth chip on it (since we know that the PS4 constantly passes authentication challenges through bluetooth), this is likely not going to happen.
    I guess you'll want to start here if you want this info to stop being passed around:
    http://akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus.html
    Funny that you mention the beta when the experiences of those who are in it line up with the bluetooth requirement (i.e. the PS360+ cutting out after a few minutes due to the console not getting an auth reply via bluetooth).

That's something Akishop needs to address and admit that's halted their progress.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • VeliusVelius Joined: Posts: 270
    edited July 2014
    so most of you guys are using sf4 as an example even though that game has a ton of stupid tricks to make execution easier such as plinking/blinking/select plinking. technically i could make the argument that players adapt by not going for 1 frame combos as much and not going for optimal damage , because they know lag may be present.

if we all played tekken/vampire savior/guilty gear, fuck anything else made before 2009, im sure we'd be alot more anal.

and dont act like top players never complain about lag. if you're going to mention seam, how about you talk about xi'an complaining how there was lag on one of the monitors a few years back at seam. he plays gen, not some simple easy character, i'm sure he'd be affected by very intricate amounts of lag more than others because his character requires it.
  • michael_zerocademichael_zerocade Joined: Posts: 14
    I was wondering if you could comment on the firmware version that you tested the PS360+ on. And if you could possibly try running the test with the latest version of the firmware or a few different versions to see if firmware versions have any noticeable effect on the lag time. If not I would hope that this data can be taken back to Akishop in order to allow them to either try to adress the input lag via firmware or build a new chip. Seems like so much work by pcb manufacturers are tagging onto the PS360+ like crossbones, kaimana, etc when the performance option here is looking like the Paewang for stick builders. Kinda breaking my heart.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,966
    Out of curiosity, which top players are still using the Fightstick PRO who aren't contractually obliged to by MadCatz? I don't remember seeing many (if any at all) at the recent big US tournaments.
  • Skatan MillaSkatan Milla Firecracker Thighs Joined: Posts: 2,094
    edited July 2014
    So to find out how much it affects you basically take (ms x 0.06) = frames of delay?

If that is the case then as long as you are below 7ms it should be impossible to notice at less than 1f delay.

-

I guess it becomes noticable when playing on a 20~ms screen while also using a high ms stick.
    Twitter: @TruthFaceSkatan

Swedish Firecracker
  • CoffeejuiceCoffeejuice Joined: Posts: 401
    i have a hard time believing rip-off 360 pcbs perform better than official ones. its not fair to test a pcb thats 5 years old vs one that recently manufactured. there's bound to be some kind of wear on the older boards.
  • RotaniborRotanibor @ROTANIBOR Joined: Posts: 202
    Velius wrote: »
    if we all played tekken/vampire savior/guilty gear, fuck anything else made before 2009, im sure we'd be alot more anal.

Someone finally understands the plight of the Vampire Savior player. :')
  • aabyssxaabyssx Joined: Posts: 39
    I just ordered a 'zero delay' USB arcade encoder from an ebay seller. I wonder how much that really lags.
  • sm0ke52sm0ke52 Joined: Posts: 91
    I have the older ps360 PCB, I wonder if it has a the same latency as the ps360+?
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,966
    sm0ke52 wrote: »
    I have the older ps360 PCB, I wonder if it has a the same latency as the ps360+?

I'd be surprised is it wasn't the same as the Etokki Omni results as it uses the same 'paewang' tech.
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,662
    Steam:Coffeeling | Fightcade: Coffeeling-FIN
    Xrd: Sol | ST: Claw, O.Sagat, O.Ryu | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    Resource pack for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
  • noosetesternoosetester Joined: Posts: 856
    How was the ~2 frame additional input delay on the PS3 version of SF4 determined? The only test i've seen on it was some wonky recording where they counted the amount of time after a button press before a character moved on screen. IIRC they used the first round of mad catz sf4 sticks. Seeing these numbers, the difference in input lag between the versions could be attributed to the sticks themselves. Has a more reliable test been done?
  • CobraKaiCobraKai Joined: Posts: 584
    edited July 2014
    On the case of the Q4RAF which can be set into either XBOX mode or PS3 mode.

Which mode is faster for using on PCs ?

Is it the console thats causing the lag or which PCB it uses ?

UPDATE:

I used button masher http://buttonmasher.sourceforge.net/

and determined it doesnt make any difference. Sometimes I get as low as 1ms. Highest I saw was 12ms.
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    edited July 2014
    This. As @MarkMan has already pointed out, people have been winning on these things regardless of any input delay and, at the tested ratings, any lag isn't really detrimental to gameplay.

So you are okay with playing on a screen which has 31 ms delay, as opposed to the tourney standard of 10 ms (per displaylag.com)? I mean I guess you might be, but some people just want the smoothest, most seamless play experience, you know?
    Can we stop passing this bit of information around. Unless the PS360+ actually has a bluetooth chip on it (since we know that the PS4 constantly passes authentication challenges through bluetooth), this is likely not going to happen.
    I guess you'll want to start here if you want this info to stop being passed around:

You're taking what he said out of context. A monitor's increase from 10ms to 31ms is leagues more than the differences you're talking about between these boards. That's what he's getting at in terms of the hardware and it being non-detrimental.

I agree that swapping sticks can cause issues, but a solid stint of play would allow you to adjust in the short term. Amazingly, this is kind of what separates the top players from the rest, they don't just adapt to the game and their opponent, but also overcoming any shifts in their controller very quickly. Kind of a neat way to think of it anyway, since most top players borrow sticks like mad, and only once in a while turn down an offer on something specific as far as I've seen.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,943
    There is a lot of posting about top players and lag. Top players will be top regardless because being good at fighting games does not center around lag statistics. Also you will adjust to whatever your setup is.

But minimization of lag should still be the goal, and info on latency is useful to have. If you switch sticks mid tournament it would be nice to know if you are now getting an additional frame of delay or if it will be a negligible difference. If you test a game for lag it would be nice to know what additional delay you can expect from your input.
    How was the ~2 frame additional input delay on the PS3 version of SF4 determined? The only test i've seen on it was some wonky recording where they counted the amount of time after a button press before a character moved on screen. IIRC they used the first round of mad catz sf4 sticks. Seeing these numbers, the difference in input lag between the versions could be attributed to the sticks themselves. Has a more reliable test been done?

SF4 was tested separately by 3 people in Tech Talk and we found that PS3 had 1 additional frame of lag. Someone else tested using TE Round 1 sticks and observed 2 additional frames of lag in PS3. That is the one people tend to remember because he was louder about it and posted in multiple threads.
  • TeyahTeyah Return of the Dragon Joined: Posts: 1,125
    edited July 2014

You're taking what he said out of context. A monitor's increase from 10ms to 31ms is leagues more than the differences you're talking about between these boards. That's what he's getting at in terms of the hardware and it being non-detrimental.

It's not out of context - he's backing the assertion that "a few milliseconds" (like say, 21, which is the difference between the top 3 PS3 PCBs and the MCZ Pro) isn't going to have a detrimental effect on your play. Going from 2.1 to 23.5 ms on a PCB is efffectively the same as going from a 10 ms monitor to a 31 ms HDTV. Except that the guy beside you is still effectively playing on a 10 ms monitor.
    I see in frames IRL
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,046
    edited July 2014
    steamwolf wrote: »
    Does the VX-SA have the same PCB as the VX-SA Kai?
    Short answer yes as the VX-SA is still in production and VX-SA Kai is not.
    Keep in mind older units would have a different revision of that PCB.
    Long answer, depends on the individual stick.

Like the Mad Cat Round 1 TE for the Xbox 360 has 2 different revisions of their PCB
    Unfortunately no, the Hori PCBs on PS3 are not nearly as good as on 360. They still beat out every other licensed PS3 arcade stick, but for whatever reason, third party PCBs rule the day on PS3 by a huge margin.
    I disagree, many of the older Hori PS3 PCBs are much more reliable and have a high compatibility than the newer PCBS, many of the 3rd party PCBs attempt to Emulate early Hori PS3 PCBs and even the Sega VSHG PCB compatibility although the old Sega VSHG PS3 PCBs have high compatibility but low reliability.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • mIRCmIRC GOD OF SMPTE Joined: Posts: 7,445
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how anyone could suggest you can adapt to input lag. Your test is designed to study button presses but I assume the lag has an impact on directional input as well. So let's say you have to block a 13 frame overhead. If you're playing on a stick with 23ms of delay, which is over 1 frame of lag, realistically you have 12 frames to block that overhead. That sounds huge to me and that's assuming everything else within your setup is peerless, whereas often it is not. People are bringing up how much important this would be in old games but fighting games are more than combos. SF4 has single frame "hard to blockables" and there is reason to suspect that playing on a bad device would have impacted someones success.

I don't see how someone can "adjust." Your reaction times aren't going to increase by playing on a bad stick.
    edited July 2014
    It's not out of context - he's backing the assertion that "a few milliseconds" (like say, 21, which is the difference between the top 3 PS3 PCBs and the MCZ Pro) isn't going to have a detrimental effect on your play. Going from 2.1 to 23.5 ms on a PCB is efffectively the same as going from a 10 ms monitor to a 31 ms HDTV. Except that the guy beside you is still effectively playing on a 10 ms monitor.

Fair point, I didn't take the extreme, more the median values. That's what happens when I type before I have coffee in the morning.

It's good to know this information, even better for developers to see it in plain text to perhaps adjust and try and improve their hardware in the next revisions to compensate. Transparency is a good thing, maybe this will get devs to take this more into account to help remove the sticks as much as possible from the variance.

Speaking of which, no Cerberus to include in the testing?
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Unfortunately no, the Hori PCBs on PS3 are not nearly as good as on 360. They still beat out every other licensed PS3 arcade stick, but for whatever reason, third party PCBs rule the day on PS3 by a huge margin.
    I disagree, many of the older Hori PS3 PCBs are much more reliable and have a high compatibility than the newer PCBS, many of the 3rd party PCBs attempt to Emulate early Hori PS3 PCBs and even the Sega VSHG PCB compatibility although the old Sega VSHG PS3 PCBs have high compatibility but low reliability.
    I'm speaking entirely in terms of input delay results (is. The topic of this thread), not other qualitative factors, sorry for the confusion. I do hold Hori products in very high regard.
    I see in frames IRL
  • mIRCmIRC GOD OF SMPTE Joined: Posts: 7,445
    The average human reaction time to visual stimuli is 215ms, which is why I used 13 frames as an example above. One frame delay is a huge difference within that circumstance.
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,662
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Tebbo wrote: »
    Except, save for one instance, none of the tested sticks go beyond a single frame of lag.

a single frame is pretty big dude.

this just confirms that all the skepticism about 3S on anything but cps3 has been warranted. so many variables which add just a bit more delay and/or a bit more gameplay speed. which just compounds things and makes it feel that much more wrong. at every step it gets shittier and shittier compared to what it was designed to be.

for once the purists aren't insane.

how do you adapt to input lag? you guess, duh.
    1 frame in a 60 fps video is 16.6667 MS
    Human reaction time varies from 18 ms to 300 ms

You purist are still nuts.

18ms? wut. Source?
    Steam:Coffeeling | Fightcade: Coffeeling-FIN
    Xrd: Sol | ST: Claw, O.Sagat, O.Ryu | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    Resource pack for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
    To some people, myself included, 1 frame of extra delay beyond what one is used to is pretty noticeable. Anything more than that and it becomes a pretty glaring annoyance.

Take SFxT for example. I've read many times on this forum that people feel that movement in that game feels like "walking in mud". This is mainly caused by the high amount of input lag in (360) SFxT as compared to SF4. The difference? Just 1.5 extra frames (+25 ms) of delay.
    I see in frames IRL
  • blood spit nightblood spit night Joined: Posts: 96
    Can you test HRAP EX and HRAP EX-SE? (if they use a different pcb)
    I'd love to test all of these sticks you guys are suggesting, but since I'm done buying sticks for the most part, I'm limited to what's available in my area. I mean I guess I could borrow some sticks and do it at Evo, but I don't want to be spending my Evo trip sitting in my hotel room doing this sort of thing, ya know?
    I see in frames IRL
    the HRAP VX SE (kai) should perform the same as the VX SA correct?
    It's possible, but we won't know for sure until the Kai gets tested. After what I saw with the Q4RAF testing confusion, I wouldn't assume that a slightly different model of the same stick will use the same PCB.

Also, great writeup Tebbo, and Preppy too. I hope people who downplay the effects of input lag will read your posts and come out with a better understanding of why some people take it so seriously.
    I see in frames IRL
    Also, would these results be the same on a UD-CPS2? I'm stricly an ST player so latency is very important to me.
  • VeliusVelius Joined: Posts: 270
    Rotanibor wrote: »
    Velius wrote: »

Someone finally understands the plight of the Vampire Savior player. :')

lol people really need to start seeing the bigger picture here that its not just sf4 players but theres people who play all of these different games, some that demand extremely precise execution that want a reliable product.

in reality, am i going to care that much if i play on a madcatz stick and all my character requires is landing a st.mp buffered into shoulder cancel into red focus and i win the round? probably not. if i'm going to play someone like i-no in guilty gear where my main pressure tool is a single just frame, do sako dash lp combos with bulletta, etc, you bet your ass im going to care.

and these modern sticks are going to play a larger role in most of the gaming communities, especially with the ud-cps2, the ud jamma encoders, now a bunch of the old school purists are going to have to get a new stick, because lugging a super gun with specialized sticks isn't feasable anymore.
    edited July 2014
    Also, would these results be the same on a UD-CPS2? I'm stricly an ST player so latency is very important to me.

AFAIK @undamned has forced the code to request updates every 1ms (frame in USB terms) from a USB device to alleviate lag as much as possible for HID. Note that for USB HID, 1ms requests are as fast as it can go per USB spec for interrupt based endpoints.

@Teyah - if you'll be at EVO swing by the booth. I'd love to get a cerb in your hands to add to the testing, see where my hellhound stacks up :)
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,862
    Would be interesting seeing which has the least lag for PC out of the ps360+, Cerberus and Cthulhu
    mIRC wrote: »
    I don't see how someone can "adjust." Your reaction times aren't going to increase by playing on a bad stick.

Adjusting to small differences in lag relates more to things like combo or jump-in timing, where you are able to take in a wide span of motion (think sampling many frames) and make a timing prediction. You can hit a tiny 1-frame window on purpose this way because you are predicting the timing based on a wider set of data.

For opponent reaction, even fast human reactions to a sudden event are pretty slow comparatively, so minute levels of lag are less of a factor. But it's not like any additional delay is helping there either.
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    I don't understand your Cthulhu results. I tested Cthulhu with my USB host interface a while back on an oscilloscope (yes) and it was consistently 2ms from the time the button input signal to the Cthulhu changed to the time that my host output signal changed. And it's been so long, I might not have even been polling it every 1ms (could have been 2ms). Please re-test Cthulhu with latest firmware. If you were testing with latest firmware, I don't know what to say other than point out that your results were grossly different than mine.
    -ud
    undamned wrote: »
    I don't understand your Cthulhu results. I tested Cthulhu with my USB host interface a while back on an oscilloscope (yes) and it was consistently 2ms from the time the button input signal to the Cthulhu changed to the time that my host output signal changed. And it's been so long, I might not have even been polling it every 1ms (could have been 2ms). Please re-test Cthulhu with latest firmware. If you were testing with latest firmware, I don't know what to say other than point out that your results were grossly different than mine.
    -ud

I can probably answer this actually.

Your host specifically calls the Cthulu every 1 or 2ms. However, on enumeration I'm pretty sure that the Cthulu reports to the PS3 that it's endpoint IN bInterval isn't actually 0x01 (1ms), but 0x10(10ms).

Essentially, you are ignoring what the device states and simply requesting it anyway, which the board can handle obviously but the PS3 itself slows the transactions down per the device's request.
    @Teyah - if you'll be at EVO swing by the booth. I'd love to get a cerb in your hands to add to the testing, see where my hellhound stacks up :)
    Hey I can definitely try to swing that. The Cerberus is a PS3/PC PCB, right? If you have room (and a PS3) in the booth, I can test it right there on the spot, should take maybe 20 min. I do need a new PCB for a Mad Catz shell I have laying around, so I'm hoping the Cerberus does well.

Just promise that you won't downplay my results and make snide comments over twitter, if things happen to not turn out in your favour. :)
    I see in frames IRL
    It would be interesting to see direct timing results. Something like a device that hooks up to a PCB/button input on one end, and the output of a UD-USB on the other end, and measures the elapsed time. I don't know how feasible this is or if the UD-USB behaves the same way as a console (e.g. honoring endpoint bInterval).
  • DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461
    edited July 2014
    So basically on PC I want to use my Hitbox on PS3 mode? Or is it different because it's on PC you think?
    edited July 2014
    RoboKrikit wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see direct timing results. Something like a device that hooks up to a PCB/button input on one end, and the output of a UD-USB on the other end, and measures the elapsed time. I don't know how feasible this is or if the UD-USB behaves the same way as a console (e.g. honoring endpoint bInterval).

I'm more concerned with real world, actual results on consoles (PS3 and 360) since these have the largest player base, and offer very strict controls over hardware configuration. So I don't think I will be measuring any PC or other non-console setups for now.

Edit: Thanks Pablo. I'm in 100% agreement with you there.
    I see in frames IRL
    I'm more concerned with real world, actual results on consoles (PS3 and 360) since these have the largest player base, and offer very strict controls over hardware configuration. So I don't think I will be measuring any PC or other non-console setups for now.

I didn't mean to suggest that you should do this, since you have already observed so many results with a different method. But if there were such a device, and its results did correlate with real-world consoles, it would be easy for anyone to test the latency of a stick.
    Hey I can definitely try to swing that. The Cerberus is a PS3/PC PCB, right? If you have room (and a PS3) in the booth, I can test it right there on the spot, should take maybe 20 min. I do need a new PCB for a Mad Catz shell I have laying around, so I'm hoping the Cerberus does well.

Just promise that you won't downplay my results and make snide comments over twitter, if things happen to not turn out in your favour. :)

I dunno what the room situation will be at the booth or what setups will be available but I can get you a Cerb regardless to use on whatever setup you can find.

I may take issue with people blaming their terribad gameplay on a frame of lag, but results are results and some people need that performance to eek every inch from their gameplay. If somehow my board manages to stack up really badly then it's on me to fix and make proper. I don't make stuff that underperforms on purpose :p.

I think based on what your current results are from other stuff, and my own understandings, the hellhound will perform in the top tier area and will juuuuust fine in your shell.
  • fakeakagifakeakagi Joined: Posts: 117
    what is the delay on eightarc fusion. i know it's the same as one of the q4rafs but which one?
    Sounds good Phreak, I'll catch you at your booth this weekend.

fakeakagi - The early Eightarc Fusions used the original Q4RAF Black board, but I'm not sure if this changed later. If you look at your PCB, if it looks like the one on my overview page (first picture of the two sticks, the PCB on the left) then it's the low lag early Q4 PCB, otherwise it's probably considerably slower.
    I see in frames IRL
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Your host specifically calls the Cthulu every 1 or 2ms. However, on enumeration I'm pretty sure that the Cthulu reports to the PS3 that it's endpoint IN bInterval isn't actually 0x01 (1ms), but 0x10(10ms).

Essentially, you are ignoring what the device states and simply requesting it anyway, which the board can handle obviously but the PS3 itself slows the transactions down per the device's request.
    @Phreakazoid‌, though I am ignoring bInterval value, Toodles has 2 different firmware versions, 1 of which reports 1ms bInterval and the other 10ms during enumeration. @Teyah‌, please download this firmware set and test with the 1ms version:

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/download/cthulhu/MCCthulhu23.zip

I'm betting you will see a significant difference in your results. Also, it would be great if you would indicate for the firmware updateable PCBs exactly which firmware revision you tested with so that people who view your results can compare apples with apples.
    -ud