How much does your arcade stick lag? Arcade stick input lag testing & results thread

Comments

• CrashPrimeCrashPrime Joined: Posts: 7
    Hope it's true what they say about the lag being less for the new hayabusa button ver. of the Kai 4. I just gambled on one because they got 10% off today /w WEDNESDAY2 promo code and no tax. $135 vs. $230. I'll pocket that c-note and if the buttons are meh, there are tons of folks looking to buy a 'busa set cuz Hori ain't selling 'em separate right now. X-input too. Just wish art swaps were as crisp as they are on the TE2+.
  • MICHAEL419MICHAEL419 Joined: Posts: 146
    Teyah wrote: »
    snip

All of those have already been tested, except for the Hori FS mini, MCZ Fightpad Pro, and MCZ Fightstick Alpha. These three most likely won't be tested.

I also have yet to test the newest Hori line. But I have heard that a Japanese tester tested these (using the same method that I and other JP testers use) and found that the newest VLX and HRAP sticks did not have the high input delay of the older HRAP4/V series that I tested.

Do you have any idea where one might be able to find their test results? I know a few ppl that would be interested in results of the new Hayabusa line.
  • BaldulfBaldulf Joined: Posts: 45
    I was tempted to buy a Hori stick with silent buttons for the PS4 but I think they might have too much input lag.

Is there a good option with a silent stick? (yeah, its a weird thing to ask for a stick but my play hours are mainly on night and the clicks can get a tad louder)
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,669
    The lag on Horis isn't terribly problematic, so don't worry about it. Figure out what your needs are, and get the fastest one that fulfills them. High lag before features before middling lag. Horis have middling lag.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,793
    Baldulf wrote: »
    I was tempted to buy a Hori stick with silent buttons for the PS4 but I think they might have too much input lag.

Is there a good option with a silent stick? (yeah, its a weird thing to ask for a stick but my play hours are mainly on night and the clicks can get a tad louder)

The silent parts them selves would not cause any lag. In the end the Joystick and Buttons are just a collection of on/off switches and have no real electronic parts to them (Unless you get optical parts).
    That said any arcade stick controller can have silent parts installed. There are pads for Sanwa and Seimitsu buttons, and there silent mods for the JLF.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Leaving custom made sticks aside the options are limited between Hori and Mad catz I believe (and I have not heard good things of MC last wave)

I should be safe with a silent Kai or Hayabusa then? Thanks for the help guys.
  • TeyahTeyah Return of the Dragon Joined: Posts: 1,125
    The TE-S+ and TE2+ both have low to very low input lag and are well built. Even if I was OK with the lag, and preferred Hori parts over Sanwa, the lack of hand room on Hori PS4 sticks (all of them) is the real deal breaker for me. I'd recommend MCZ's latest offerings over Hori on PS4 unless you really dislike Sanwa parts.
    I see in frames IRL
    I was about to type the same message but he wants out of the box silent. For that, probably Hori. If you just want a solid stick, I'd recommend TES+
    Would give it a thought, thanks.
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,830
    not hard to add silence to a stick, or expensive
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • FeiWrongFeiWrong Joined: Posts: 358
    Ryan Hart got third place in a major in Cannes yesterday. If he hadn't used the HRAP 4 Kai, he would've won the whole tournament.
    /sarcasm

Not buying the hrap 4 because of these tests... is stupid.
  • NYCgeekNYCgeek Joined: Posts: 96
    The TE-S+ and TE2+ both have low to very low input lag and are well built. Even if I was OK with the lag, and preferred Hori parts over Sanwa, the lack of hand room on Hori PS4 sticks (all of them) is the real deal breaker for me. I'd recommend MCZ's latest offerings over Hori on PS4 unless you really dislike Sanwa parts.

I'm glad we have options these days. The palm rest area that Hori sticks have are the main reason why I get their stick over the madcatz. It's the same on a vewlix cabinet so I guess I'm just used to that. I do also like the madcatz sticks though! :)

Teyah, did the japanese people that tested the new Hori sticks give any numbers or comparisons to other sticks? Like I would love to know if it's better than the Hori hrap v4 you have tested since that's the one I have. I'm looking for one with a touchpad and assign button mode. I'm also very curious if the input lag changes depending on if you're using the assign mode or not.
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce In Makoto I Trust Joined: Posts: 3,246
    Still waiting for an oscilloscope real test about sticks. Then sue Hori and Madcatz 'cuz they sell me their laggy sticks without warning about that issue.
    You guys are really something.
  • ShadowcuzShadowcuz JTC Joined: Posts: 1,626
    I got a question which i cant seem to find an answer to and hopefully someone can help me. I have the old revision hrap 4 kai and i got apparently got a TES+ shipping my way, is there any additional input lag when plugging these sticks on the PC? Not sure if dumb question or not but i heard theres lag coming from 3rd party tools. I want to pick up something thats plug n play i can use to play Killer Instinct when the PC version releases. The whole 1frame delay on the hrap 4 kai doesnt bother me but if it adds some additional input lag then maybe i should pick up the newer hrap4kai with xinput support?
    PSN: JTCuz
  • Jazz catJazz cat Joined: Posts: 239
    Can anyone test the input lag of the new mad catz fightpad pro? Or the new brook PCB? I'm after padhack options and already own the fightpad
    Australian PSN eh?
    Nobody knows. Shouldn't be much, anyway. You also likely don't need 3rd party tools to use ps3/4 sticks with most fighting games.
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,830
    Komatik wrote: »
    Nobody knows. Shouldn't be much, anyway. You also likely don't need 3rd party tools to use ps3/4 sticks with most fighting games.

You need it for anything with xinput, like SFV
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce In Makoto I Trust Joined: Posts: 3,246
    edited March 2016
    I haven't signed in for months and still the same shit going on. It's unbelievable that people continue to spend the time to crap on someone's work, done on behalf of the community. If you don't agree with the testing and results, and can't do so respectfully, maybe you should stop posting in the thread. It is not your responsibility to protect anyone here...
    Keep up the good work @Teyah

Teyah don't need a lawyer.

Again,this experiment is interesting,but need a re-test with proper instruments like,for example,an oscilloscope. Until the peripheral isn't noticeable defective (over 1-2f), I'm good. Some people pages ago notice how pro players use before supposed laggy sticks without problems,winning majors here and there,then other guys here starts suspecting their sponsors give them lagless pcb's instead of the original ones (i.e. Daigo Umehara Madcatz 360 VS). If this thread is here for just a curiosity good,but this witch hunt is ridiculous. You're right about us against this thread results,we don't have the rights to interfere with you believers of,but you know what? Looking inside this thread is like looking at 2 dudes fighting on the streets,you don't know what's going on and isn't our matter,but you can't stop looking at them. Or like looking a trash-level film, the only funny thing is looking how lower the plot can get. I really need to usain bolting the fuck out of this thread.
    Post edited by NCK_Feroce on
    What witch hunt, pray tell? Unless you mean the one on people trying to have a calm discussion about input lag in their controllers, maybe?
  • tresortresor Rockets/space city for life Joined: Posts: 14
    this thread is fantastic coming from the perspective of someone who is looking at the available non-bias best pcb options specifically for street fighter 5 on pc (time to retire the OG te1...the gate is torn and faceplate screws have rust).

does anyone know the best available option for pc exclusively for sf5? i have no desire for other platform compatibility. i am also strongly considering a hitbox after watching jibbo play but i was unsure what the best pcb option would be for that device.

sorry if this information needs to be reiterated from earlier posts and thank you for your time!
    There's no metrics, so you're SOL on that front. Mad Catz TE S+ is a lot like your TE1 and looks kickass to boot, so maybe that? You'd have to wait for the PS3/4 controller compatibility patch, though.

Failing that, Qanba Q4 RAF is an amazing stick for 360 and works on PC without a hitch.
  • aszydaszyd Joined: Posts: 505
    tresor wrote: »
    this thread is fantastic coming from the perspective of someone who is looking at the available non-bias best pcb options specifically for street fighter 5 on pc (time to retire the OG te1...the gate is torn and faceplate screws have rust).

does anyone know the best available option for pc exclusively for sf5? i have no desire for other platform compatibility. i am also strongly considering a hitbox after watching jibbo play but i was unsure what the best pcb option would be for that device.

sorry if this information needs to be reiterated from earlier posts and thank you for your time!

If all you need is a new gate and some panel screws, just pick them up from FocusAttack and save a ton of money. You can use X360CE to emulate an Xinput device with your PS3 stick. If it's a 360 stick, you don't even need that.
    Gates
    Screws
  • triple_leitriple_lei Fan of green-mouthed Zangief Joined: Posts: 101
    So let me get this straight -- the only licensed PS4 stick that has L3 & R3, touch pad, and turbos is still the HRAP4 Kai? The one at the very bottom of the list? Why is it so goddamned hard to add in turbos?

I mean, I'll still get the stick when it goes down to about $100 or so (lag under 1 frame = A-OK in my book), but come on.
  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    triple_lei wrote: »
    So let me get this straight -- the only licensed PS4 stick that has L3 & R3, touch pad, and turbos is still the HRAP4 Kai? The one at the very bottom of the list? Why is it so goddamned hard to add in turbos?

I mean, I'll still get the stick when it goes down to about $100 or so (lag under 1 frame = A-OK in my book), but come on.

Brook Universal Fight Board has turbo but its not adjustable speeds like most retail sticks.

I put the Brook Universal Fight Board into my VLX and got the turbo working fine.

I'm interested in the latency tests for the Brook Universal Fighting Board. Mainly tested for PC (Xbox 360 and Xbox 1 modes). PS4 I got no choice but to use the PS4 mode but I'd like to know which one mode would be best for PC (X-Input).
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
    what a weird post, especially from a day1 alt account(?). i really question your motivation putting doubt on hard data like this. if you are trying to discredit Teyah's work, at least give evidence instead of conjecture. after all everyone just wants to play on the best available devices (that includes displays)! if you think he is spewing propaganda than this isn't the way to go about it btw. if i had the irl tools available and sticks to test i would challenge his data myself.

cheers

ps: thank you @Komatik for the Qanba Q4 RAF for the pc tip!
  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    tresor wrote: »
    what a weird post, especially from a day1 alt account(?). i really question your motivation putting doubt on hard data like this. if you are trying to discredit Teyah's work, at least give evidence instead of conjecture. after all everyone just wants to play on the best available devices (that includes displays)! if you think he is spewing propaganda than this isn't the way to go about it btw. if i had the irl tools available and sticks to test i would challenge his data myself.

cheers

ps: thank you @Komatik for the Qanba Q4 RAF for the pc tip!

Did you even fully read and comprehend his post? Hes supporting Teyah not trying to discredit him.
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
    Digital- wrote: »
    Did you even fully read and comprehend his post? Hes supporting Teyah not trying to discredit him.

just wish we could help out and get more concrete data, information gathering is going to benefit everyone. looking forward to Teyah's new data or any new data from others. i frantically skimmed his post which is unfair so i somewhat agree with your point.

ciao
  • XanfellXanfell Joined: Posts: 11
    Haha Alt account, you can assume that if you want.

Doubt on hard data:
    No I am not putting doubt on hard data all I am saying is do not worry about the chart too much you can use any stick you like. Just know that you are getting marginal benefits and of course having information like this is sweet.

Discredit Teyah:
    Hmm I do not see me discrediting his work, I actually praise him for his work, since I have access to this information.

Evidence to this conjecture:
    There is no need to provide it, all the evidence is provided by Teyah. 10ms difference is not going to be a huge improvement - so it is marginal. But if a pcb had say 1second of lag then using the A tier fight stick would be a huge improvement right?

Display:
    Same with displays right, but they have a bigger variation, 94ms (slow tv) vs 9ms (MX279H) - a huge difference right?
    Hori rap4 (ps4) which has 15.10ms more than ps360, that does not seem as big difference to me.

The unit of measurement here is still milliseconds, 2ms difference is harder to perceive than say a 2sec difference, that is why I say we get marginal gains from using top tier sticks.

As you see from the pro's sponsored to only use mad catz or hori, they still manage to win the tournaments.
    i wasn't insinuating you were wrong about your evaluation especially on the point of having a low-lag display and optimal pcb will win you games otherwise lost. we are human beings at the end of the day and pressure is a thing in fighting games especially on the big stage.

we need more data on the new generation of pcb. i just wish we had more resources to support Teyah's work and i am curious if any others in the community are doing similar tests with other methods such as the oscilloscope previously mentioned. if madcatz/hori/qanba etc wanted to gain an edge and prove their pcb choice is the best they could throw their new model @Teyah

cheers everyone!

Yeah sorry, long winded post.
    But a lot of people have been discrediting Teyah, so I just wanted to have my say, so I made an account.
    But I do like reading these types of threads.

Oh Btw this magic stick m5 looks interesting
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=QEUIzti6za4
    But I assume it was tested in house by magic lab korea, the people that made the stick, so I am not sure about the credibility of there test.
  • Jazz catJazz cat Joined: Posts: 239
    snip

All of those have already been tested, except for the Hori FS mini, MCZ Fightpad Pro, and MCZ Fightstick Alpha. These three most likely won't be tested.

:( I'm really interested for padhack reasons, whether the fightpad pro is as good as the new mad catz sticks. If I was in the US I would post you mine to test. The madcatz and dual shock are interesting to padhackers cos they are the only ones with a touchpad.
    Someone please lend teyah a fightpad!?

Love your work. Very informative and used it a lot last gen!
    Australian PSN eh?
  • MrEwntMrEwnt Joined: Posts: 71
    I have to be honest here: I just discovered this thread in the middle of trying to find a stick for my PC/PS4 and it's made me an absolute headcase. I was excited about getting the RAP4 Kai but apparently it's crap for timing. Bleh.
    MrEwnt wrote: »
    I have to be honest here: I just discovered this thread in the middle of trying to find a stick for my PC/PS4 and it's made me an absolute headcase. I was excited about getting the RAP4 Kai but apparently it's crap for timing. Bleh.

It's not crap. Read what the person above said about minor advantages? That is what it is. If you like two sticks equally, pick the faster one. Otherwise, why care when the Hori isn't too bad?
  • Hi_ougiQHi_ougiQ Joined: Posts: 5
    I'm getting the new hrap 4 Kai with Hayabusa buttons and pc play built in delivered today. Can't wait to try it out when I get off work. I really they did eliminate the 1 frame lag the older model had. I Want to try the Hayabusa parts although I'm probably going to mod with Sanwa parts. I have a silent jlf and I'm itching to put it in. @Teyah. Thank you for your hard work with testing the input lag. Looking forward to your next update.
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 2016
    @HI_ougiQ, if you happen to want to sell the Hayabusa buttons, let me know. :P I got a set, but I know people who are interested.
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
    edited March 2016
    Hmm, think I found the Hori tests by the Japanese person.
    I do not understand the person, but you can see the results.

src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xEbX376o9AM"
    This video shows the person testing what I would assume the hayabusa stick? (RAPVH)
    Post edited by Xanfell on
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 2016
    My first assumption would the Hori Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa... But since the HRAP4 had similar results to the VLX Kuro, I'd guess the HRAPV and the VLX Hayabusa are similar.
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."