Tekken 7 Discussion

Comments

• Yusuke_The_DetectiveYusuke_The_Detective Life's a fleeting dream, don't let it go. Joined: Posts: 2,136
    d3v wrote: »
    I kinda see no difference in terms of graphics to TTT2 and Tekken Revolution.
    I thought this was next generation shit that's supposed to take your breath away with its astonishing graphics.

So far I'm not impressed at with what I see.
    What part of "location test" and "only 50% of the graphics" can you not understand.

Welcome to the FGC. Knee jerk reactions everywhere.
    You gotta make the most of it you know.
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I would rather these two mechanics be tied to a super meter and damage nerfed. Overall I don't mind it though. More reason for me to use Dragunov's ff+2~1+2.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,940
    TheMainMan (a noteworthy Mishima player) gives his insight on Tekken 7...
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,940
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]

• yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,066
    Sorry Tekken 7...not feeling it this go round
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,064 mod
    For "gameplay impressions" he sure does complain alot about aesthetic things.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    For "gameplay impressions" he sure does complain alot about aesthetic things.

TMM confuses me. He has a tendency of going from being relatively cool headed to being exceedingly salty over petty subjects. Beside his tutorials, he actually does rant a lot on the aesthetics and/or lore of Tekken. According to a few other of his resources, I don't think he likes female or animal characters that much, either.

... In any case. We also have some impressions on another new character:

• OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,537
    Theres something wrong about people who hate female characters. Especially when the girls are top tier and people say theyre broken and should be nerfed.
    What are the chances of Eliza from TR being added to the cast of T7?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • GraphicGraphic Waifu Fighter V Joined: Posts: 648
    It's possible. The demo features a lot of the characters from TR, but they also are the main essential fighters we expect. Katarina looks like a replacement to the Tekken force chick from the TR character poll. I like to think all the clones and any dead / resurrected people from TTT2 will be gone.
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge The Age of Murder and Storm Joined: Posts: 16,236
    Theres something wrong about people who hate female characters. Especially when the girls are top tier and people say theyre broken and should be nerfed.
    If you watch some of his videos, it becomes rather apparent why he hates those characters. He plays Mishimas(I as well) and when he plays Ranked, he gets extremely frustrated by characters with many stances/strings/easy to play aka noob friendly(Mishima bias here).

As for "hating" female characters, that's his own personal thing. No one is obligated to like any type of characters.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • Yusuke_The_DetectiveYusuke_The_Detective Life's a fleeting dream, don't let it go. Joined: Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2014
    Characters that might not come back imo

Wang, Raven, All the DLC TT2 characters, Lei, one of the capos, Jinpachi, Anna, Baek, Ganryu, Jun (possibly),Miguel and Combot
    You gotta make the most of it you know.
  • MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 497
    power crush kinda sounds alot like focus attacks and the game looks super fun to play.
    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
    Why wouldnt the look of a brand new game that looks like the same old game be a valid complaint?

Same costumes, same poses, same intro poses, same win poses from Tekken 4?

Seriously...
    edited October 2014
    Found some long term Tekken 7 game play here... Hopefully this is beneficial for obtaining more insight.

Heihachi, Xiaoyu and Claudio pique my interests the most in terms of game play. Hopefully, Julia Chang will also be present. This is a game that I really do look forward to...

EDIT: Good news folks. We have MORE videos. More videos = More data/information to collect!
    That third video consists of Nobi's Dragunov!!
    Here is also another element to take note of (for those who are doubtful). https://mobile.twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/518582507130732544
    Post edited by Great_Dark_Hero on

• Conrad09Conrad09 Joined: Posts: 37
    tataki wrote: »
    Having a "1-size-fits-all solution" isn't necessarily a bad thing when you consider that Harada and co. are trying to make T7 accessible. Power Crushes give newer players a glimmer of hope in match-ups they are having trouble with while at the same time advanced players at least have something when playing against unfamiliar/obscure characters.

For example lets say a new player goes up against a Hwoarang player in TTT2. Hwo hits them with d3,4 and goes into FLA pressure. They then become easily overwhelmed because if they duck they get hit by the overhead and eat a combo and if they don't duck Hwo does 3+4 and continues with another d3,4 into the same situation or does some more low pokes/poke strings. Advanced/High level players will know where to SS/SW/Backdash or block while doing the best possible punish while new players may not (at the time). With PC's they can at least get out of the situation.

At least they have actual downsides to using them (the only real downside to TR invincibles where that they were REALLY bad on block). Rage Arts I can see people having a problem with because of the raw damage and the fact that they have none of the weaknesses that PCs have (besides being launch punishable), but then again all you really have to do is bait them and block.

edited October 2014
    Hopefully, Julia Chang will also be present.
    Here's the question, Julia Chang or Jaycee?
    Why wouldnt the look of a brand new game that looks like the same old game be a valid complaint?

Same costumes, same poses, same intro poses, same win poses from Tekken 4?

Seriously...
    The complaint was more about the fact tht the video said "gameplay impressions" and then he goes and spends 50% of the time talking about aesthetics.

Also, it's a location test and we already know that, aside from the fact that the graphics aren't final (lighting, self shadowing are turned off and textures aren't the final ones), alot fo stuff right now is placeholder.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    Hopefully, Julia Chang will also be present.
    Here's the question, Julia Chang or Jaycee?

I go either way.

• p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,555
    ugh the supers look eh
    like sc5 supers
    idk more gimmicks
    more over the top
    less attention to certain pillars of tekken cough, cough oki

we will see but i think they need to look at the drawing board a bit more too much like snk capcom shit im glad it dont have meter
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,556
    edited October 2014

Dunno, Power Crush just seems like Tekken's universal form of Sabaki in Virtua Fighter, so it doesn't seems like much to me. Sabaki have been in Virtua Fighter since VF4 as I recall, so I think Power Crush would be okay. It depends on their tracking properties, frame disadvantage on block, damage output on success, and among many other factors in terms of designing what makes a Power Crush. In of itself as an offensive function that works as a defensive/deflective function, I think it's fine and nothing new to bring to the genre (maybe new to Tekken.)
    More impressions from Level Up Your Game.
    http://www.levelupyourgame.com/2014/10/05/hands-on-impressions-of-tekken-7-location-test/

The new combo continuation thing is apparently called kirimori
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 1,184

I don't know what this guy's problem is. Claudia looks as generic if not more so than Katarina. He's suddenly mesmerized by his last name and a couple of shared moves from characters outside of Tekken. It still looks like they opted to have Maxi stroll into Tekken. Hell they did it with Heihachi and SC II I don't think it would have been that egregious if they just owned up and put in Maxi.
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
    The Power Crushes beat high and mid attacks but specifically lose to lows and throws. That sounds like the reverse of hopkicks. Thinking of it that way, they don't seem so bad. Hopkicks lead to even more damage and they don't take damage from the moves they beat out.
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    If you watch some of his videos, it becomes rather apparent why he hates those characters. He plays Mishimas(I as well) and when he plays Ranked, he gets extremely frustrated by characters with many stances/strings/easy to play aka noob friendly(Mishima bias here).

As for "hating" female characters, that's his own personal thing. No one is obligated to like any type of characters.

Not talking about this guy's bias, but there is definitely (people online need to learn how to spell that word) something wrong with dudes who think you're not supposed to play as female characters unless you have a vag. It's not as if they put them in there for the next-to-nonexistant FEMALE players.
    Oh, the masculinity issue nonsense. Yeah, it's silly. When I picked females in FGs it's because A)They're hot and B)They have a likeable fighting style.

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • BallTapperBallTapper Swag in their face Joined: Posts: 526
    im gonna go ahead and guess that steves new air bound or whatever is gonna be df+1+2, which would be waaaaayyyy too good, but after seeing what the other characters new bounds are, its kind believable.... finally steve might get a 14f launcher
    471.gif
    TTT2: Dragunov/Bryan, Steve/Character, Jinpachi/King
    3SOE: Necro, Urien, Hugo
    HDR: O.Sagat, Balrog,
    KOF2002UM: Vanessa, Jhun, Iori, Clark, Hinako, Chang, Orochi Yashiro, EX Takuma
    KOF13: Ralf/Takuma/Hwa
    KOF14: I dont understand this game
    Injustass 2: Swampass, Spookybird
    Ultimate Disney vs Capcom 3: Morridoom, Spiderman/Thor/Ironman, Ironfist/Arthur/Spencer
    Super Setup Fighter IV: Hugo, Yun Sim
    SFxT: Nina/Steve, Sagat/Law
    MKX: Cyrax, A-List Johnny
  • S00perCamS00perCam Cold as ice Joined: Posts: 2,397
    Steve with a 14f launch in a lower damage game thats going to have more poke wars and standing pressure?.......

kill me now
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
  • ShogunZShogunZ You Jelly? Joined: Posts: 1,836
    So far I'm on board. When the first two matches trickled out I wasn't sure because I thought B! was out. The new combo extender actually makes *more* sense than bound....at least as much sense as you can make kicking and punching people through the air. Movement seems weird, spastic, but overall I'm okay with the gameplay right now.

What I'm not okay with, is a new numbered Tekken 2 years after Tag 2 that uses identical assets as the last THREE Tekken games. It is simply laziness that none of these characters have been re-designed in the slightest. It's supposed to be a NEW game. Like MainMan said, it could just all be placeholder stuff, afterall we know Lars is supposed to have new armor. Right now though, as is just reeks of lazy to me.
    PS4 Now Playing: Persona 5, Injustice 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn
    I really wish players would stop jumping to conclusions over these location tests and making a big deal about the game aesthetics.
    Again, this is an extremely early build of this game.
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ngm75r

• ShogunZShogunZ You Jelly? Joined: Posts: 1,836
    Well, seeing that tweet I can certainly give Harada the benefit of the doubt, but it would seem like if you want to re-design Steve Fox for example wouldn't that be the first thing to go on the model and not an old design?
    PS4 Now Playing: Persona 5, Injustice 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,692
    edited October 2014
    Conrad09 wrote: »
    Having a "1-size-fits-all solution" isn't necessarily a bad thing when you consider that Harada and co. are trying to make T7 accessible. Power Crushes give newer players a glimmer of hope in match-ups they are having trouble with while at the same time advanced players at least have something when playing against unfamiliar/obscure characters.

But is it worth the price of reducing the game's depth? That's like taking care of an itch in your arm by cutting off the arm.
    Laban wrote: »
    Dunno, Power Crush just seems like Tekken's universal form of Sabaki in Virtua Fighter, so it doesn't seems like much to me. Sabaki have been in Virtua Fighter since VF4 as I recall, so I think Power Crush would be okay.
    http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4evo_sabaki_reversal.php
    There is not a single Sabaki in the game that beats all mids and highs. The whole point in Sabakis and 3D reversals in general is that 1. They have a tight window. 2. They only work against very specific attacks. T7 is going to present the best Sabakis ever in the genre, which may dominate the game like the overpowered form of a parry shaped how SF3 is played. Of course nothing is final and all of this is speculation but this is how it looks to me at the moment.

The Power Crushes beat high and mid attacks but specifically lose to lows and throws. That sounds like the reverse of hopkicks. Thinking of it that way, they don't seem so bad.

Actually it DOES make PCs sound like a bad design idea, because mids and lows do not have the same role. Mids and highs are your common attacks and lows are attacks that get used more seldom. This is why games up until now avoided giving you a single solution that outright beats all mid attacks. There was no official "mid crush" move that crushes all mids. It's too powerful in concept.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    It just makes Tekken 7 alot less safe, which safe damaging/launching mids have been a complaint. What your seeing here Is Hopkick>Low>PC>Hopkick you have a 3 way guess of unsafe options to get you out of jail. Sure you dont have to learn movement if you rely on these techniques like dealing with offense regularly, but its not as safe or rewarding as playing what you would call "fundamental" Tekken. If the PC's were safe or frame 1 hyper armor, I'd say yeah op but it looks like they were smart and didnt do that. 20% also isnt that great of a reward in Tekken the perfect read at any moment could grant you half a lifebar.
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
  • MikeBreezy92MikeBreezy92 Too Good Joined: Posts: 348
    And even then the trade off for life isn't that great either see and you take full damage instead a portion like with the rage arts.
    "JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!"-Kamina
    edited October 2014
    I wonder if you can bait PC with a d/f+1. Paul might even be able to force a whiff by cancelling into his back-sway.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,692
    edited October 2014
    S00perCam wrote: »
    It just makes Tekken 7 alot less safe, which safe damaging/launching mids have been a complaint. What your seeing here Is Hopkick>Low>PC>Hopkick you have a 3 way guess of unsafe options to get you out of jail. Sure you dont have to learn movement if you rely on these techniques like dealing with offense regularly, but its not as safe or rewarding as playing what you would call "fundamental" Tekken. If the PC's were safe or frame 1 hyper armor, I'd say yeah op but it looks like they were smart and didnt do that. 20% also isnt that great of a reward in Tekken the perfect read at any moment could grant you half a lifebar.

Again, I'm not talking about those moves in a vacuum. I'm talking about how strong the options are in the full context, mixed with all the other options you already have. (Which is why "just wait for the rage art and block" isn't a real solution.)
    I wonder if you can bait PC with a d/f+1. Paul might even be able to force a whiff by cancelling into his back-sway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d6mo5mx0aW4&list=UU0kRSXeQvOui0lUcp7Onwpg#t=94
    This is good.
    Post edited by tataki on
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,555
    edited October 2014
    It takes away from being solid in a closing situation
    In tekken you can properly assess what you did right and what you did wrong to get hit
    there are solutions to everything
    safe mids might be easily sidesteped or homing ones backdashed because they have no range
    highs ducked or lows parryed or blocked
    or a move leaves them negative on block so the momentum is killed for the attacking player

these new options while flashy (and mostly corny) disrupt the overall web of nuances that happen in high level matches and devolve it into "is he gonna do it or not."

while it will make low to intermediate level matches fun because it will stop nimrods from going on autopilot too much and force them to hesitate and be aware, the higher level matches will slow down to a molasses pace.

i think there are enough options to counter everything and keep the game at a happy medium along with the options from big move lists this seems like it was installed because people lack awareness to see the options character and universally specific that they have.
    the overall things that go to winning a match

negotiating space

establishing tempo, dictating pace from 0 to far range

these over the top moves undercut them and its ugh
    it will make for some hype but really looking at how tekken is they are kegs that dont really fit

S00perCam wrote: »

Again, I'm not talking about those moves in a vacuum. I'm talking about how strong the options are in the full context, mixed with all the other options you already have. (Which is why "just wait for the rage art and block" isn't a real solution.)

Well lets look at the full context of these moves they generally look like they

-aren't the fastest on startup
    -Have long animations
    -don't look like they are very advantageous on hit, and push the players away from each other
    -don't have great tracking
    -don't have good range
    -grant mediocre damage

so evaluating all the options you have in a very broad sense

you have
    high
    mid
    low
    throw
    sidestep
    dash/backdash

so only 1/3 of your generalized committed standing options at neutral can be beat by PC and all of these options grant greater reward than PC does when it performs its role correctly. You can think of it as a Sabaki or a Parry but those things , at high level, can be used to react. PC uses mid move armor to fill that role and as a result is a much harder read. Sabaki's and parries also have near non existent whiff animations(in parry's case none at all) While PC moves are probably around 60-80 frames from start to finish

Holistically I can't think of one thing that makes PC OP or even bad for the game. Honestly I think it's better for it and I like it a whole lot more than TR's invincible moves.
    How often has a game claimed to be running at "half" the visual power in location test and ended up looking 50% better at launch?

Because I cant remember. Sounds like a bs lie to keep people interested, and I love Namco. But this is bs, why even start lokitest when you dont have something respectable to show. Characters are almost identical to TTT2 versions...this is just confusing to say the least, and this isnt jumping the gun, this is giving an opinion on a piece of work put out to gain feedback.

I'm giving feedback. This isnt amazing so far.
  • Screw_TiersScrew_Tiers Screw_Tires? Screw_Tears? Fuck This Name Joined: Posts: 867
    How often has a game claimed to be running at "half" the visual power in location test and ended up looking 50% better at launch?

Because I cant remember. Sounds like a bs lie to keep people interested, and I love Namco. But this is bs, why even start lokitest when you dont have something respectable to show. Characters are almost identical to TTT2 versions...this is just confusing to say the least, and this isnt jumping the gun, this is giving an opinion on a piece of work put out to gain feedback.

You really shouldn't be complaining about the visual aspect of the game because that's not the main point of the location test. The main point was to show off the new system mechanics and to get feedback and reactions from people. So far, these new mechanics are getting 50/50 responses. Honestly, the stages are looking great and the stages themselves look like they are using the visual powers.
    "Farts stink like a motherfucker!"

Because how many times has a game been location tested this early in development. I mean, look at it, it's obviously full of placeholder assets, right down to character art being. This kind of early access is kind of rare and Namco may be breaking ground here not just by showing a playable build this early, but by giving stream access too it (whereas traditionally, taking any footage from location tests was frowned upon). Most recent locations tests that come to mind have been with more complete versions of the games being tested.

As for the characters being identical to their TTT2 versions, get used to it. Harada has already stated that he wants the characters to develop "iconic" looks/outfits in the same way characters in other fighting games do.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    Plus their will be nutty alternate costumes later
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • anhtuanproanhtuanpro Joined: Posts: 1
    More interested in TxSF, probably vaporware tho :D
    anhtuanpro wrote: »
    More interested in TxSF, probably vaporware tho :D
    Tekken X Street Fighter Thread is this way.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/189651/tekken-x-street-fighter-discussion

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,201
    edited October 2014

amen.

for this game they needed to redesign the characters. what the fuck are they doing donning t6 clothes

I like the direction they're going in because it becomes a complex version of dark resurrection

by the way I have to mention that kazuya having some of devil jins moves and looking more powerful im guessing he got his power back from jin
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    I see what you guys are saying and in the same token I'm saying I was around for the Tekken 4 and 5 location tests. Hell I remember the Soul Calibur 2 location tests on GuardImpact.

It just doesnt feel...fresh.

And Tekken is one of the few series that have gotten even better over time. I just dont want them to plateau.
    We have another compilation.

What's so noob-friendly about stances?
    What's so noob-friendly about stances?
    It's not that the many stances are noob-friendly, it's that they provide an advantage. With so many moves at their disposal, it's harder to react, counter, and punish what is going on. This combined with Tekken's crush moves can be rather infuriating. Mishimas generally don't have long strings. People usually end at two hit strings and rarely go for 3. Tekken is mash friendly and sure, if you have enough experience, you can punish properly but that is not always the case.

This is why each time a new Tekken comes out, you can always find complaints about Law(noob friendly), Hwoarang and Chreddy(stance mashing) and Lei(called a gimmick character). Sure mastering these characters take time but most of us are casual players that go in for fun. Having more moves makes it harder to adapt and Tekken being mash friendly doesn't help. Mashers don't care about frame advantage and such. You'll have the advantage and they'll do whatever. See why people hate hop kicks.

Ki Shima wrote: »

for this game they needed to redesign the characters. what the fuck are they doing donning t6 clothes

As has been stated, Harada now wants to develop an "iconic" look/outfit for each character. So characters that changed clothing with each installment wont be doing so now. You'll likely have to wait for the alternate outfits for anything new.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • Vampire_SaviourVampire_Saviour R4 Joined: Posts: 333
    edited October 2014
    I do not like the idea of rage arts. What are you doing Harada? Is this something he had planned for Txsf?

EDIT: backwards movement looks really weird now, and King looks op now.