Tekken 7 Discussion

Comments

• CathraoCathrao Police brutality~ Joined: Posts: 597
    edited July 31
    appomo wrote: »
    a filter would be nice so that you can decide how much the rank difference should be, if at all. :pensive:

But there is a filter...? Although just for +/- 2 or 3 rank differences. Yeah I guess I know what you mean.
    Steam/CFN ID: Cathrao | SFV: Akuma/Menat | T7: Lili/Feng
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,873
    Cathrao wrote: »
    a filter would be nice so that you can decide how much the rank difference should be, if at all. :pensive:

But there is a filter...? Although just for +/- 2 or 3 rank differences. Yeah I guess I know what you mean.

For ranked.
    player matches just have the ping filter option.

At least thats what i recall....i click so fast trough it these days that i might have missed some changes. :pensive:
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,109
    so many ppl host tournies in T7 don't kick 1 bar players,
    always starting with 1 bar players
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »

Thats why you should always be the host....and play with friends which dont leave...
    Are you on the Pc version?
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,323
    edited July 31
    Abuget Cup top 8:

The Korean gods bringing out quite a few unorthodox characters. Knee Kazuya made me happy. Saint using Eddy as well.

Also shoutouts to actual taunt jet upper.
    Post edited by Naeras on
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,943
    Knee's Kazuya is a thing of pure beauty. Some good ol' Kazuya Mishima (despite me having a love/hate perspective of the character).

His wall damage also pleases me, in addition to his godlike whiff punishment. Then again, the same can be said for the rest of the Mishima's when speaking on the subject of whiff punishment. This approach still suits Kazuya greatly, especially for those who prefer to take a more defensive approach and operate through block/whiff punishment and 50/50's off of wave dash post-KND.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

edited August 1
    Yeah, that defensive style why I initially wanted to play Kaz. That, and because he looks so fucking boss. It was before I realized that his poke game is straight up terrible and that his knowledge requirements are almost as heavy as his execution requirements, since you really gotta know what moves can be launched or not on block.

As for post-KD wavedash mixups... what sort of knockdowns does he have where his CD-mixups are actually real? It seems really easy to just sidestep / sidewalk out of his oki post-combo, but that might just be because I tend to end my combos with d/f+1,4.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,943
    Although, I do not play Kazuya that often, for some reason I hate ending combos with df14. I just go for CD3, df1f2, df12, CD41 (depending on the filler or situation), db2, EWGF (depending on the combo filler or situation). After the fact, wave dashing into ff3, CD41, ws3, maybe be plausible options though it may be better to implement this after 112 or b12 for example.

I favor Heihachi a bit more because I like the power mids that he has. I do have a pocket Devil Jin sense he appears to be the more "well-rounded" Mishima. The issue with Heihachi is that his while standing punishment is nothing to right home about at all and he does not have that many lows to "threaten" opponent's with.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

LiangHuBBB wrote: »

Thats why you should always be the host....and play with friends which dont leave...
    Are you on the Pc version?

PS4
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,049
    edited August 1
    evilj wrote: »
    I have a gaming laptop.

ASUS ROG GL551JM-EH74 15.6" Gaming Laptop (Black Aluminum), Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.5GHz) Has well, 16GB DDR3L (1600MHz), 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX860M 2GB GDDR5, DL DVDRW/CD-RW, 802.11AGN, Bluetooth, Windows 8.1

I played on low settings and something about the speed and frame rate felt inconsistent to me so I just went back to PS4 for practicality sake. I'm not sure if it's my computer or just me. I used the same monitor on PS4 and PC.
    Gaming laptops are garbage
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    When I host tournies, I always put "4 Bar" in the title, and kick 1 bar players.

I went to a small local Monday meetup yesterday, it was fun for me to run into new players and see their mistakes.
    They know combos, but the application of putting moves together isn't there. I guess I take for granted the experience I built up.

I played against a Leo player who was a Virtua Fighter player and a Shaheen player who came from Smash, and they had the same exact mistakes/approach.

So I was lecturing the Shaheen player afterward and felt like an old man...hopefully I didn't overwhelm him.

Basically told him that he needs to be more aggressive and pay attention to what is happening after he puts me in certain situations...and taking advantage of frame advantage or pauses/unfamiliarity from the other player.

I played Heihachi vs Shaheen and I don't know anything about Shaheen, so naturally after blocking certain moves I would continue to block, or backdash as a safe option. I told him if he observes hesitation, he needs to follow up and continue with attacking or doing mixups (stringing moves together)...the way he has to learn not to attack is if he gets punished or counterhit...which I wasn't doing at all.

Told him he needs to start using more jabs, df+1, and quick moves if anything as a "check".

I was doing 1,1,2 on block with Heihachi and he didn't try to jab check me or punish afterwards....

Basically he was putting me in block stun situations, I didn't push buttons...the next time he put me in the situation... he would still do nothing, which allowed to be like "ok it's my turn."

Green Karin.
  • p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Naeras wrote: »
    Yeah, that defensive style why I initially wanted to play Kaz. That, and because he looks so fucking boss. It was before I realized that his poke game is straight up terrible and that his knowledge requirements are almost as heavy as his execution requirements, since you really gotta know what moves can be launched or not on block.

As for post-KD wavedash mixups... what sort of knockdowns does he have where his CD-mixups are actually real? It seems really easy to just sidestep / sidewalk out of his oki post-combo, but that might just be because I tend to end my combos with d/f+1,4.

you really want to end you combos with hellsweep, 1
    1,4 is only for wall carry and to position them closer to the wall the hellsweep ender allows for crouch dash mixups
    normally kazuya doesnt have alot of hits in his combos they are straight damage so df,1,4 is only when you have the most amount of hits and you do the tail spin for wall positioning.

if you do that ender without wall then they can instant get up since its not a hard knockdown. then anybody that knows mishimas knows that you go left against them to avoid most of the mixups
    you being smart will see this. it will create hesitancy and now they have reset the neutral

GDHs post are the enders you mostly wanna do along with f4 for spike situations

I dont use ff3 enough with him yeah it can be stepped but you arent supposed to be pressing alot of buttons with kazuya anyways. you should be constantly realigning yourself.
    the hellsweep is something that nobody wants to get hit by and they will occasionally twitch duck
    and it they are doing that that means they arent moving as well as they should be. which means you can fish for it more often.

sidenote i faced someone who liked to twitch duck/fuzzy guard alot
    and i get irritated by them the most but always remember that they arent moving well if they are doing that then and they are inviting the mixup.
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge The Age of Murder and Storm Joined: Posts: 16,251

You got the CD>throw(KD), ff+3(combo starter), Hell Sweep(KD), uf+3(KD), EWGF(combo starter)and Twin Pistons(combo starter). Twin Pistons is also hit confirmable. But yeah, as stated above your go to combo ender is Hell Sweep+1. You take that and mix in df+4(hit confirm)4,f+4, WD into B+4(that Devil Jin kick) , df+3 or 1, and your jabs. A lot of people ignore uf+3 because it doesn't lead to a combo but it does low crush. Mix in some CD into a SS and pop an EWGF some times.

I hear you on that weak offense he got. Sometimes, just mess with another Mishima and it's a world of difference.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • Da StunnaDa Stunna A True Paradox Joined: Posts: 988
    Although, I do not play Kazuya that often, for some reason I hate ending combos with df14. I just go for CD3, df1f2, df12, CD41 (depending on the filler or situation), db2, EWGF (depending on the combo filler or situation). After the fact, wave dashing into ff3, CD41, ws3, maybe be plausible options though it may be better to implement this after 112 or b12 for example.

I favor Heihachi a bit more because I like the power mids that he has. I do have a pocket Devil Jin sense he appears to be the more "well-rounded" Mishima. The issue with Heihachi is that his while standing punishment is nothing to right home about at all and he does not have that many lows to "threaten" opponent's with.
    Heihachi db2 is still scary af tho.

I like him because he's the only Mishima with a generic hopkick. He's still really hard but he seems solid and more fun than Kaz.
    T7FR - Eddy, Bob, Dragonuv, Hwoarang, M.Raven
    I2 - Atrocitus
    SFV - Balrog, Ibuki
    KOF14 - King/Yuri/Leona
    GGxrdR2 - Chipp
  • ElectroManiacElectroManiac Joined: Posts: 381
    Seen Knee play Bryan makes me want to learn that character.

Man this game has so many good characters that you want to play them all, but is so complex that is too hard to be able to do that. I'm guilty myself on not concentrating enough in one character.
    Steam: Electro
    Tekken 7 Mains: Dragunov and Feng Second: Josie
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    evilj wrote: »
    NVIDIA GTX860M 2GB GDDR5
    I have basically the same video card as you in a laptop and T7 has been smooth as butter on an external 1080p monitor with a DVI input.

Note that my laptop's monitor is powered off when I plug into the external monitor.
    just finished watching the abudget cup

so glad to see knee win hes one if not my favorite players
    some players are feel players but their awareness is so high so they are constantly analyzing the landscapes formulating how to close in on windows, how to back off when to intercept and when to move to another angle
    his subtle adjustments and his knowledge, fundamentals and overall game sense are a big reason why hes one of my favorite players

eh fuck ill post some of my old stuff my hei is vanquisher now but this was a older match in the beginning of t 7
    im in the red

also one of the craziet comebacks youll ever see and its why i pick devil jin
    im still shocked at the end that it worked.

• QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,126
    I haven't played T7 for a while, and I think the biggest detriment for me right now is that I feel I'm at a point where if I want to get any better at the game, I'd need to learn the ins and outs of every opponents most common strings and if they need to be sidestepped, ducked or parried during certain points, otherwise the opponent is just gonna bully me on the lack of MU knowledge.

Am I wrong in this assessment? Am I missing some universal cues to tell when you are good to SS/duck someone or do you just have to learn the hard way?
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,364
    edited August 3
    I haven't played T7 for a while, and I think the biggest detriment for me right now is that I feel I'm at a point where if I want to get any better at the game, I'd need to learn the ins and outs of every opponents most common strings and if they need to be sidestepped, ducked or parried during certain points, otherwise the opponent is just gonna bully me on the lack of MU knowledge.

Am I wrong in this assessment? Am I missing some universal cues to tell when you are good to SS/duck someone or do you just have to learn the hard way?

You learn all that shit bit by bit tbh.
    Just mass a lot of ranked matches, after a while you find people playing deathmatches with you where you gather a lot of matchup knowledge just by playing and find a reason to motivate yourself to research all that shit.

On top of that the better your movement and whiff punishment gets, the more you can equalize shit you can't deal with. If that motherfucker can't reach you with that unknown move or string and gets launched for it a couple of times you just managed to take that shit out of his effective repertoire without knowing anything about it.

Also with pretty much everything, at least for me, even if I know what to do against it in theory, I gotta play tons of matches seeing the move to be able to apply counters.

But yeah I feel like Tekken is not a game you get good at quickly. Feels like a long process. But I'm also an old fuck with a learning deficit. I couldn't even get good at SFV after playing that shit for a year.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    ^ learning match ups in T7 is hella hard, there are characters you run into all the time such as law, paul, jin, kazuya etc.
    and once in a while you run into a Panda player and you have no clue what's going on lol
    edited August 3

Strings are usually punishable in one way or another, without having to be sidestepped. The rule of thumb is that if a string ends in a mid or low, it's usually unsafe. Strings ending in highs are often safe on block, but they can be ducked.

There are exceptions to this, of course, but learning that basic rule helped me out a lot. Getting used to the different animations is going to take time.

Also, don't underestimate the power of pre-emptively backdashing out of the range of a string to punish it on whiff, or pre-emptively sidewalking to do the same thing. Knowing how to beat a string is useful, but being in a position where the string can't even hit you is even better.

Great advice Naeras.

I was going to reply back and say "neither, just block or backdash" at the below quote:
    I'd need to learn the ins and outs of every opponents most common strings and if they need to be sidestepped, ducked or parried during certain points,

But your advice is much more helpful.

Makes sense if you play Kazuya though, since you're limited on moves, you gotta focus on learning how to block and avoid stuff well.

One tip you can do in player matches when you're not playing seriously to win. Just block, stand there and block, dash up and block. When it feels like your turn...don't even push buttons, keep blocking.

You have like 6 rounds to figure it out.

This is the equivalent of playing Ryu and walking forward blocking without doing a low mk.

*You will notice after blocking some moves, where the opponent does not follow up with an attack. That is a clear indication, that it was your turn to attack, and your opponent was respecting your turn. Make a mental note of that move down in your head...you just learned something new about that string.

Liang: Against Panda, sidewalk right from medium range. punish his df+1,2 (twin pistons) on block. punish his b+1 armor break move on block. punish 1~1, or 1~1,1 on block. Don't attack after blocking a standing 1 or a db+2 (low swipe) on hit and be aware for people who like to use his hellsweep after you lose your turn.

If you play Paul, I think Panda is decent since he can punish deathfist on block pretty easily...and his legs are too short and further back so demolition man is not as effective as it is against other characters.

Green Karin.
    edited August 3
    ^

Thanks for the info.

i pick akuma all the time for bears lol
    gotta do it tired of having to deal with them laying down and hunting stance
    akuma makes them play different with fireball spam and staying in the air so he has to focus on that
    and dive kicks
    i love akuma against bears
    I'm still running my 3 man rotation of hwoarang, bryan, Claudio.

I played against a good jack 7 player and destroyed by hwoarang. went to Claudio, won easily.

this makes me believe the best characters in tekken to be consistent with are the easiest ones to play, with good basic moves.

shit like a quick low, a quick mid or df+1, hopkick.

I bet I could learn Kazumi too...all you see is basics and fundamentals.

Utility is better than damage in tekken.

Hence why Characters like Dragonuv and feng are so good.

Green Karin.
    edited August 5
    When I said earlier that I thought electrics were easy on hitbox, it turns out I was wrong. It was easy on keyboard, not on hitbox.
    I have no idea why, but I just can't do them on hitbox, while keyboard was really easy. Tested both just now; 80% hit rate on keyboard, 5% on hitbox. Weird. Might be how my hands are positioned.

Oh well. Means I'll have to stick to a non-Mishima rather than practicing electrics all day. Which is probably for the best :p My movement's still a lot more crisp on hitbox though.
    When I said earlier that I thought electrics were easy on hitbox, it turns out I was wrong. It was easy on keyboard, not on hitbox.
    I have no idea why, but I just can't do them on hitbox, while keyboard was really easy. Tested both just now; 80% hit rate on keyboard, 5% on hitbox. Weird. Might be how my hands are positioned.

Oh well. Means I'll have to stick to a non-Mishima rather than practicing electrics all day. Which is probably for the best :p My movement's still a lot more crisp on hitbox though.

both on pc?
    are you sure that the hitbox handles inputs the same way your keyboard does?
  • FrozteyFroztey The Ascended One Joined: Posts: 8,508 mod
    Yo dudes, I got permission to mod the Tekken subforum so I can clean up the stickies and whatnot. I'm definitely adding @Appomo's thread to the stickies and this general thread. Anything else people had thoughts on posting to add to the top?
  • CathraoCathrao Police brutality~ Joined: Posts: 597
    edited August 5
    Froztey wrote: »
    Yo dudes, I got permission to mod the Tekken subforum so I can clean up the stickies and whatnot. I'm definitely adding @Appomo's thread to the stickies and this general thread. Anything else people had thoughts on posting to add to the top?
    Don't think there's much else at this point. At least not after a quick glance at all the bigger threads, since most of it is outdated T6/TTT2 knowledge or tier lists.

And good job; I think you picked the easiest subforum to moderate.
    Thanks for making it all tidy for us.

Edit: Oh, you meant new threads too? In that case, what Appomo says.
    Post edited by Cathrao on
    Steam/CFN ID: Cathrao | SFV: Akuma/Menat | T7: Lili/Feng
    Froztey wrote: »

how about a user thread with platform and name of each one who want to be on the list...+ region of course.
    maybe we could do a steamgroup too?
    Sure thing. Let me finish my PUBG session and I'll set it up.
    Went 0-2 today at the local tournament .

First game was on stream .

Played banes ( supposedly up and coming player ), won first two rounds with hwoarang , lost three in a row.

Switched over to Bryan , won the match , then lost the match .

Second match off stream , I played agaisnt a king player who seemed like a new player. I was already mind fucked from the first match ...

Won game 1 with hwoarang , then lost. Switched to Claudio ...apparently king can air throw him out of his hopkick. Lost .

FML
    Green Karin.
    edited August 5
    I had some dude called "PhoenixKarate" or some shit add me on Steam and tell me that he's a friend of a friend and wants to play.
    So next day he asks me for a set, we go into a lobby and he's like "Oh a mirror?". We start playing and I destroyed him in the first game.
    Then after that first game he writes "Well fuck that shit!", disbands the lobby and deletes me from friends.

Anyone know that guy? Made me laugh in real life.
    edited August 6
    I had some dude called "PhoenixKarate" or some shit add me on Steam and tell me that he's a friend of a friend and wants to play.
    So next day he asks me for a set, we go into a lobby and he's like "Oh a mirror?". We start playing and I destroyed him in the first game.
    Then after that first game he writes "Well fuck that shit!", disbands the lobby and deletes me from friends.

Anyone know that guy? Made me laugh in real life.

I have him added, he keeps messaging me saying I'm ignoring him because he's trash and his Paul is ass cba to give him games. I kept launching his unsafe death fists and he asked if I played anybody else that isn't Gigas.
    Man I was actually looking forward to give him some advice, because I'm trash and don't get to do that often, but he was so fast with deleting me from his friends I couldn't write a word.
    Man I was actually looking forward to give him some advice, because I'm trash and don't get to do that often, but he was so fast with deleting me from his friends I couldn't write a word.

He doesn't take advice, he says he'll switch to your character if you beat him though. Probably why he left after you demolished him with Paul.
    edited August 6
    alright here's the link to my match...which is aggravating for me to watch.

At the 2h 15m mark.

www.twitch.tv/videos/164699333?t=02h15m21s

edit: Apparently I don't know how to paste old twitch streams...
    Post edited by evilj on
    Green Karin.
    watching world tour streaming in korea...damn I love Korean Devil Jins.

Random Korean mishima player>top mishima player elsewhere.

It's my belief you cannot maximize mishima usage unless you have a korean stick.
    Green Karin.

both on pc?
    are you sure that the hitbox handles inputs the same way your keyboard does?

I'd be surprised if it didn't.
    Electrics are difficult on any controller though, and translating them to other controller types still takes effort. Just placing the buttons slightly differently made a huge difference.

Speaking of that: why'd a Korean stick make a difference for Mishimas?
    Ball top won.
    Ez for Ball top!
    the reign of the koreans is over...praise the new japanese overlords :P
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 3,972
    Nice to see other players outside of Korea winning stuff.

Just sad that it was Jack 7 again.
    Steam: Necl0rd
    PSN: Necreal

SFV: Laura, R. Mika, Chun-Li
    GG Rev2: Baiken, Jack-O
    T7: Katarina, Master Raven
    BB CF: Nine
    Will I ever see a Gigas/Lars player, who knows
    Neclord wrote: »
    Nice to see other players outside of Korea winning stuff.

Just sad that it was Jack 7 again.

why is he even considered lowtier? because of his lack of mixup tools and rely on good defence/punish?
    Think it's his size, he can't SS things. Same thing goes for Gigas, in a game where mobility is everything if you're unable to SS what other characters can you'll automatically be put lower due to your inability to answer certain things.
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 3,972
    Yea I also think it's his size. Aris said something like that a few weeks ago.
    Steam: Necl0rd
    PSN: Necreal

SFV: Laura, R. Mika, Chun-Li
    GG Rev2: Baiken, Jack-O
    T7: Katarina, Master Raven
    BB CF: Nine
  • Da StunnaDa Stunna A True Paradox Joined: Posts: 988
    Jack is good.

Better than average reach, good lows, strong wall game, strong throws, good rage drive, easy consistent combos, bunch of moves that are + on block, etc.

The only boon to him is that he doesn't really have any good crush moves. No panic moves outside of f2.

Still tho, he can control a fight better than most.
    T7FR - Eddy, Bob, Dragonuv, Hwoarang, M.Raven
    I2 - Atrocitus
    SFV - Balrog, Ibuki
    KOF14 - King/Yuri/Leona
    GGxrdR2 - Chipp
  • SurremiesSurremies Joined: Posts: 674
    Whole game feels tricky for me after spending recent years with Street Fighter and being PC user but at the same time, it feels as much fun as I had with Tekken 5 around 12 years ago.
    "Every nerf makes its own tune.."