Drawing/Sketching fundementals thread

Comments

• PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The video's TL;DL is basically practice makes perfect.
    Which... that's usually been the general rule of thumb in almost everything.

I think the problem with that video is the fact that he HAD to make the video. A lot of people out there are trying to figure out some magical way in getting better real quickly, when in the end, there really is no real answer. I'm still a beginner, but everyone has the same story to share with me.

"Learn your fundamentals. Draw from life. Draw what you like"
    The more I do my studies, the more I see why people take certain stylistic approach. So something is working. Hopefully I can get some good stuff coming out in the next couple of months. Still learning the human figure (among other studies), I should be able to do more in-depth figure drawing soon. So far I've only been doing 30 second and 2 minute figure drawings. But the more I learn about anatomy, the more my figures are getting better. Not only that, but my drawing speed has increased. I guess since I have a stronger understand of the human figure, there's less thinking and more drawing.
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,793
    I don't think people want a magic bullet as much as they want some method or plan with a degree of solidity. You hear "practice makes perfect" everywhere, but things are foggy after that. How much practice? How exactly do you practice? It varies for each person, as it should. Especially with something creative, like drawing. I'd figure anything resembling a straightforward plan has to clear the fog a little.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
  • rookrook amused observer Joined: Posts: 1,633 mod
    since you guys are into drawing, want to take part in a SFV art jam?
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/206463/character-select-fan-art-challenge-street-fighter-v#latest

whole bunch of old school SRK artists are set to take part. join in the fun if you'd like.
    square peg. round hole. large hammer.
    http://rook-over-here.deviantart.com
    axeman61 wrote: »
    I don't think people want a magic bullet as much as they want some method or plan with a degree of solidity. You hear "practice makes perfect" everywhere, but things are foggy after that. How much practice? How exactly do you practice? It varies for each person, as it should. Especially with something creative, like drawing. I'd figure anything resembling a straightforward plan has to clear the fog a little.

In that case, that video also leaves people in the dark.
    I guess the biggest problem isn't so much what to practice, but how to practice it.
    When someone tells someone else they need to work on perspective, there's a lot of ways to tackle it. Guess that would come up as a problem. Though, I'm still too new to experience these issues since I'm under the "learning method", so I can't relate to these issues just yet.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • BaronOBaronO Baka Mitai Joined: Posts: 499
    Made a line art on SAI for my friend a couple of years back. I decided to touch up the weights and pressures a bit as well to try my hand at coloring it:
    12592458_1120461454640456_206968957085317295_n.jpg?oh=e83b9ebc51862326f4691ff2a9fbfc95&oe=5742C118
    PSN - TheBarrenO; CFN - BaronO
    I really hope everyone is at their drawing journey. I'm still tackling it quiet hard, and I can't tell how much it's paying off, but I have a lot of eyes from insane artists looking at me and trying to push me into becoming a stronger artists. I have nothing impressive to show, but hopefully in the next year I can start posting some unique shit.

Currently finishing up on human anatomy studies, going into designs in general and character design in the near future.
    Re-tackling Gestures but via different method. Apparently animators at disney/pixar have unique methods on capturing gestures. Learning said methods, and once thats done, I'm gonna tackle live gesture drawings for a bit. Learning advance perspective as well to draw my planes and better looking birds, lol.

I've completed so many of my studies, but my drawings are still poop. But there's an improvement. And if people who are in the industry are telling me I'm doing an amazing job, that's enough feedback for me. Please, I hope everyone keeps at it.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 626
    edited February 2016

I'm gonna drop this video here. Since I always struggle on having a nice mix of solid line work without it looking to loose.
    That and I usually use digital medium and spot erase bits and parts leaving "eraser marks".

Good mindset to get into, but I'll stress STUDYING to know forms and how to break them down into basic parts.
    Or even reading a near medical level anatomy books that describes the superficial muscles and skeletal structure.
    Stay strong, everyone. I hope everyone is still on their journies.

Here's a good video for those self teaching:

I will say, I'm still a weak artists, but I'm progressing faster than ever now since things are starting to click for me.
    Though, of course, this is from all the hard work and emotional shit I had to put up with doing all this. I've never worked so hard for something, it feels terrible at times. Literally yelled out in frustration and pain cause of how much work I put into something. It wasn't the end result, I didn't mind, nor it didn't feel like I couldn't do it, but man... I feel like sometimes I push myself too hard it hurts out and inside. But, even with that said, I keep going. The love for it is way to strong, no matter what I'm fighting.

So far, it does look like a very bright future for me. I just hope everyone is at it.
    Until then, good luck!!
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,220
    Shaco from League of Legends
    0519161428.jpg
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
    More drawing, please!!
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • NickRocksNickRocks DeathPlay Joined: Posts: 22,818
    now that i have my own place i started drawing again. bought the same pen ashley wood uses, pilot parrallel. its hella neat. also started messing with oil paints
    EaHWbTv.jpg
    pZ3iTxV.jpg
    AqdZXj5.jpg
    HJ9phF2.jpg
    wFwDcEu.jpg
    JsAFDOK.jpg
    kPt15AN.jpg
    CEx5E69.jpg
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
    Keep drawing.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • NickRocksNickRocks DeathPlay Joined: Posts: 22,818
    edited August 2016
    Glad this thread got bumped. Really getting into oil painting and taking online figure drawing classes, using the classic mediums like charcoal. Holding a pencil the "proper" way now and its actually much easier to draw for some reason.

King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 997
    Pencilero wrote: »
    I've recently (the past year) discovered the joy of sketching with those multi-colored ball point pens. I can use one color for under drawing, and black for defining the lines I like.

You can go crazy and get an eight color ball point pen, and have a lot more to play with.

It's also convenient to have two pens, and access to nine base colors.

Fun stuff like this can happen:

CjT_eFGWkAAFfvZ.jpg

CirDup-XAAA3Sbb.jpg

Although the ink can build up and get a bit persnickety to draw on, so you'll need to keep a napkin or scrap paper handy to clean the ball point.

Have fun drawing without erasing for a bit.

That chick looks like she has typhoid
    Proko's anatomy series is kinda fucking amazing to say the least. I'm surprised how well it's turning out. Way better than his previous stuff. Hell, way better than stuff I was taught at CGMA's anatomy course.

Also, random bird study I guess.
    VUpJ4DJ.jpg
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,793
    Which anatomy series? The one you have to pay for or the one you can just see in bits/pieces on youtube? Obviously I haven't seen the one you pay for.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
    This should be it

http://www.proko.com/human-anatomy-for-artists/

He offers 3D programs to refs as well as examples and guidelines. Kinda insane.
    Though, I remember these vids being cheaper. I hope he has another sale going on. Last year, he had a christmas sale on all his vids, so maybe it's best to wait.
    But I highly recommend it.

As for his other courses.... they are "okay"
    Good for free, but nothing crazy.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
    newmastersacademy.org is having an amazing cyber monday deal today.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
    edited December 2016
    I dont know if you guys like .pdf files or not but,
    This is a really great resource. Still skimming through it but I think I'll try buying it later.
    (Broke the link on purpose.)

https:// dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17531769/Anatomy%20for%20Sculptors.pdf

Remove space after https://
    Post edited by FreezingCicada on
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,281
    Thanks, but I'm finding it hard to connect the broken link.
    I need some help. For my life drawing group I'm thinking about setting up a projector which projects a clock face or timer onto the wall that times each pose. it's start from 20 poses at 30 seconds and ends with 5 poses at 20 minute poses. The timer is started, paused, and each pose length is selected with a press of a button. How easy would this be to set up, and are there specific programs I need to use to do this?
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2016
    There's a website that you can do something similar on, I think it's quickposes.com. Oh wait do you just need a timer for live models, or are you using reference pictures?

My life drawing professor was this awesome old Chinese guy that would just bang a fold up chair with a stick when it was time to change the pose.
    The problem is I'd prefer the model to have control over when the poses start and end, because it's a 10 hour a day 7days a week session not once or twice a week for 2 hours. Maybe I'm just too damn lazy to say "change pose" lol.
    If your still having troubles the part thats broken is space after "https://".
    Great book, simple that showcases wire meshes and general movement.
    I just enjoy randomly bumping this topic to see what's going on.
    Been at it for 2 years, my art still sucks but still drawing. I'm enjoying the struggle. I dunno, it's fun.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,848
    I'm approaching my 2nd year as well, the progress is there but I feel I should do a lot more anatomy/perspective/grayscale studies this year, need to leave that comfort zone.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,162
    I've gotten a lot of neat stuff done recently - loosening up my technique and exploring dramatic lighting.

I'll post pictures for open critique later today... if I remember lol.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    edited January 27
    I'm approaching my 2nd year as well, the progress is there but I feel I should do a lot more anatomy/perspective/grayscale studies this year, need to leave that comfort zone.

Don't do what I did, lol.
    I did draw a lot, I worked really hard, but in the end I practice waaaaaaay too much on fundamentals and only fundamentals. I know it sounds silly, like "how this can be a bad thing?", but if you have no idea how to apply what you're learning or know if it's actually helping you, it may all be for naught.
    I practiced perspective, form, anatomy, etc etc, I know more about the anatomy and perspective subject than even most pros. Problem is, even with this knowledge, I wasn't any closer to my goal. The characters in my head that I wanted to draw still look as bad as they did with my first attempt.

But you drew a lot! Mileage is always good... right?
    Yes and no.
    In the end, practicing things like figure drawing (like finding gesture, form, anatomy) only got me better at doing just that; getting better at the exercise itself. Sure, I can draw you a cool gesture line and some neat blocks that display form... but that's where it ends. I couldn't progress pass that simply because I didn't know how. And this was such a huge concern for me during my art journey. I was so concern about how to make my drawing look good that I never gave myself the ability to fail.

Now, things are different. Currently learning animation and I'm addicted. And the fact that my drawings are shit is another plus, cause I see why it's shit and from the 2 years of nothing but pure studies, I still remember all the techniques provided to me in order to find a solution to fix it. And since I've read a ton of books on how to draw the figure, it's easy for me to get a complicated angles and be like "well, so and so said it's easier to draw it like this so I'll draw it like so" and further on. Personally, I didn't enjoy drawing at first, I kinda forced myself to learn studies and hope one day everything will click. Hate to sound gay, but that "click" was inside me the entire time. I just had to fail, and I didn't know how to fail because I didn't allow myself to fail. So now my journey truly starts, and with animation class starting, I'll definitely be drawing a fuck load.

Just know that you should draw from imagination more than doing your studies.
    If you studied for 2 hours, you better draw from imagination for 4 hours and so on. Drew something you feel looks off, like at some human figures and use that as references to fix up your drawing.
    Now, chances are no one but me has ran into this lol. But if you ran into this problem... well... here ya' go.

There's a good quote that's fighting game related that helped me out.
    When you pick up a fighting game, you see a character and you want to learn them. You see Dhalsim and you're like "I want to learn that character!" so you start playing with him, and you're losing a lot. Someone stops you from playing and tells you, "that character is too complicated for you. Learn Ryu, he's easier and will help you with fundamentals."
    So you pick Ryu, and you use Ryu for like 2 years. You play a lot, and you actually get REALLY good with Ryu. So now, you understand the game, and now you can finally learn the character you always wanted to play; Dhalsim. You pick Dhalsim, you play him, and you realize something. You realize, you still suck with Dhalsim and you're losing the exact same way you did Day 1.
    Confused, you ask people around "Why does my Dhalsim suck? I played Ryu for so long and got good with him, but my Dhalsim still sucks."
    It's because you never played Dhalsim. If you want to get better with Dhalsim, you need to play Dhalsim. Sure, playing Ryu helped you understand the game itself better, but in the long run, when it comes to learning your character, you have to play That character in order to get better.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
    Looks good! Not sure if you're going for like photorealism or anything on the figures, but as it is, it has this folk-art kind of thing going for it which I really dig.
  • krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,848
    edited January 30
    PozerWolf wrote: »
    *snip*

lmao, you just about covered everything but yeah you're right. The more we learn the more we can gauge how far away we are from our destination, but because of that some of us get too caught up in wanting to get there as opposed to just enjoying the adventure at your own leisure. Not gonna lie man, I'm starting to envy those guys who can just doodle at random and be blissfully happy with whatever the outcome is. I've been studying for so long that I can't help but be a meticulous asshole about everything I draw now, despite that everything still turns out mediocre though lol. But still, I managed to get a few characters I want out of my noggin and onto paper so that's always a plus.

Good luck with your future project(s) Pozer, same with the rest of you guys.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,162
    I've been in the design phase for this character for years, but I think I'm getting close to the kind of characters and stories I wanted to tell.
    16601718_881817558626628_5906729593358261276_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=62ff54b919581741cb8e2ae1f8a851c7&oe=5909795D
    I think the pose is balanced, but I drew her a little short. She's about 6 heads tall in this drawing.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • Riot GuardRiot Guard Old School Joined: Posts: 3,907
    edited February 9

This one like most of mine are from photo reference. I've been teaching myself or I should say watching tutorials. Proko, Alfonso Dunn, Art of Wei on Youtube I've found really helpfull. I generally stipple. Crosshatching is not working for me.

Shading practice.
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    small question: what is a good art pad for comic style drawing and do any of these work with programs such as photopaint and/or photoshop? thanks in advance.

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    Starhammer wrote: »
    small question: what is a good art pad for comic style drawing and do any of these work with programs such as photopaint and/or photoshop? thanks in advance

Hmmm, good question.
    I've seen people grabbing various layouts and brushes to get that "comic" look. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I do see this question get brought up often.

Though, I will say if anyone is interested, Don Bluth is up and trying to get students for his University.
    http://www.donbluthuniversity.com/

Site looks mad shady, but it's legit. Spoke to some people about and got some information on it, seems good.
    Spoke with Don himself among some other dude. Shit is kinda cool.
    It's easy to get accepted, I feel (even though some have been turned down due just not follow instructions on what to submit). The only problem you'll run into is Tuition. Shit costs $10,000!
    But it's 52 weeks learning under Don Bluth. I fuckin' sacrifice everything for this opportunity.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
    edited June 22
    small question: what is a good art pad for comic style drawing and do any of these work with programs such as photopaint and/or photoshop? thanks in advance.

-Starhammer-

I assume you mean like an art tablet right? Wacom is typically the industry standard, I've used the intuos series pretty much exclusively. While the Cintiq is the top of the line, some artists like Artgerm for example still use an Intuos pro. Best Buy usually carries some of the introductory Wacom products in store and they're relatively inexpensive so that might be a good place to start.

As far as the "comic" style, you really have to mess with brushes. There's a guy in the fan art section that's pretty much nailed it, let me see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: okay I can't find the specific thread but what I can say is "comic" style comes down to inking IMO and for that it's good to use a solid brush with a wide range of pressure.
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    PozerWolf wrote: »
    small question: what is a good art pad for comic style drawing and do any of these work with programs such as photopaint and/or photoshop? thanks in advance

Hmmm, good question.
    I've seen people grabbing various layouts and brushes to get that "comic" look. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I do see this question get brought up often.

Though, I will say if anyone is interested, Don Bluth is up and trying to get students for his University.
    http://www.donbluthuniversity.com/

Site looks mad shady, but it's legit. Spoke to some people about and got some information on it, seems good.
    Spoke with Don himself among some other dude. Shit is kinda cool.
    It's easy to get accepted, I feel (even though some have been turned down due just not follow instructions on what to submit). The only problem you'll run into is Tuition. Shit costs $10,000!
    But it's 52 weeks learning under Don Bluth. I fuckin' sacrifice everything for this opportunity.

I'm gonna check it out. thanks for the link. :tup:
    NeoBlood wrote: »

-Starhammer-

I assume you mean like an art tablet right? Wacom is typically the industry standard, I've used the intuos series pretty much exclusively. While the Cintiq is the top of the line, some artists like Artgerm for example still use an Intuos pro. Best Buy usually carries some of the introductory Wacom products in store and they're relatively inexpensive so that might be a good place to start.

As far as the "comic" style, you really have to mess with brushes. There's a guy in the fan art section that's pretty much nailed it, let me see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: okay I can't find the specific thread but what I can say is "comic" style comes down to inking IMO and for that it's good to use a solid brush with a wide range of pressure.

Yep. Art tablet is what I mean. I'll check on wacoms soon. You got any particular programs you like?

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    Manga Studio 5/ Clip Studio 5 (Same program) is really good. Great line quality and light weight for a reasonable price. (They usually have sales for it at 50-60% on summers. One is on right now.)
    Photoshop if your wallet can afford it but generally I think its over rated and for illustrations you dont use all of the features other competitors dont have.
    Krita. Free online software. I havent used it but its kinda like Clip Studio and Photoshop.

Those are ones I seen most comic book artists use. Other potential one is Paint Tool Sai (?) Its really lightweight and simple.
    Personally, I like Manga Studio cause the its streamlined but still has an easy to understand custom-ability to its brushes.

As for art tablets, aside from Wacom theres another one called Huion. Cheaper then Wacom but the trade off is drivers are ass and doesnt have the quartz(?) battery pen Wacom has. So you have to keep it charged to use it.