Drawing/Sketching fundementals thread

15678911»

Comments

• Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,017
    You can't go wrong with wacoms. I'm a concept artist, my career demands I use one for around 50 hours a week on average. My intuos 3 lasted me 5 years(the pen crapped out, the tablet still works fine) and my intuos pro is going on its 4th year. If you treat them with care they will never crap out on you, so even if the price tag truly is scary, it's well worth it.
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Manga Studio 5/ Clip Studio 5 (Same program) is really good. Great line quality and light weight for a reasonable price. (They usually have sales for it at 50-60% on summers. One is on right now.)
    Photoshop if your wallet can afford it but generally I think its over rated and for illustrations you dont use all of the features other competitors dont have.
    Krita. Free online software. I havent used it but its kinda like Clip Studio and Photoshop.

Those are ones I seen most comic book artists use. Other potential one is Paint Tool Sai (?) Its really lightweight and simple.
    Personally, I like Manga Studio cause the its streamlined but still has an easy to understand custom-ability to its brushes.

As for art tablets, aside from Wacom theres another one called Huion. Cheaper then Wacom but the trade off is drivers are ass and doesnt have the quartz(?) battery pen Wacom has. So you have to keep it charged to use it.

Cool. Knowing that, I'll go after these first. I have heard of Manga Studio, so I'm down.
    You can't go wrong with wacoms. I'm a concept artist, my career demands I use one for around 50 hours a week on average. My intuos 3 lasted me 5 years(the pen crapped out, the tablet still works fine) and my intuos pro is going on its 4th year. If you treat them with care they will never crap out on you, so even if the price tag truly is scary, it's well worth it.

Yeah. I know the whole cost deal. The real question isn't if you're going to pay, but how much, how long, and how often are you going to pay? And all of that is secondary to the big question: "Will it pay off for you?" I'll probably save up a few bucks before going after that one, but I will be going. Thanks for all your help gents. :tup:

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    Like I said, from over a decade of experience you'll be looking at(depending on the size of your tablet, I've always used mediums and that's more than enough)300-400$ for something that will last you anywhere from 4 years to a decade or more if you treat it properly.

Nibs wear out fast when the tablet is new too but again, remember I'm using it like 50 hours weekly.
    Like I said, from over a decade of experience you'll be looking at(depending on the size of your tablet, I've always used mediums and that's more than enough)300-400$ for something that will last you anywhere from 4 years to a decade or more if you treat it properly.

Nibs wear out fast when the tablet is new too but again, remember I'm using it like 50 hours weekly.

Yeah, I can foresee a lot of practice in my future, but I doubt it'll be 50+ hours a week unless it REALLY takes off.

I'm gonna check out Manga studio next weekend as well. It looks like it will do all the things I want for a decent price, so I'll bite. Thanks again everyone.

-Starhammer-

Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I haven't done much digital (mainly been traditionally) but I bought a really cheap Wacom for $50.
    Shit is good, I've had 0 issue with it.
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • OhhaiariOhhaiari Deathcore Killed The Radio Star Joined: Posts: 181
    I'm thinking of designing a stickart for my TE but I'm actually thinking about drawing out the main focal myself, I was wondering if you guys like to use blue sketch pencils when rendering for lineart or just the typical black? I'm tryna clean up the lines in adobe.
    Street Fighter since birth, literally.
    Graphic artist by day
    Kawaii pad player by night

Available for commissions.
    Ari♥

"These niggas live to hurt me." - Da Prince
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,162
    I bought some blue sketch pencils a while back but they're still in packaging lol.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • StarSignalStarSignal Water sports enthusiast. Joined: Posts: 108
    I used blue and red mechanical pencil leads for light construction sketching, but lately I've gone back to using regular graphite. I've become quite fond of 0.03mm leads for sketching, especially now that my construction sketches are way cleaner. I liked using the blue and reds as they made even my half finished lineart look somewhat polished? I don't know why that is, but colored undersketches have a certain appeal in the eyes of viewers, from my experience at least.

I only stopped using them as I started taking in a lot of professional commissions over the past year and had to work closely with other people. Undefined colored sketches can be hard for the viewer to make out, so I had to adopt the "clean and minimalist, but defined" style of sketching with a normal pencil.

"Tits are life, ass is hometown." - Kenichiro Takaki
  • OhhaiariOhhaiari Deathcore Killed The Radio Star Joined: Posts: 181
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    I bought some blue sketch pencils a while back but they're still in packaging lol.

My struggle of buying tools I think I need and never using them until like 3 years later when I have a project that needs it :/
    Street Fighter since birth, literally.
    Graphic artist by day
    Kawaii pad player by night

Available for commissions.
    Ari♥

"These niggas live to hurt me." - Da Prince
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,220
    edited August 6
    0805172304.jpg

Widowmaker. Something I did with my lead holder.
    Post edited by abkallday on
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
    well, I got Manga studio EX4 since manga studio 5 was never coming back to amazon and the huion 610 pad. Now it's time to learn how to do everything I did on paper...........just, on screen. One thing I wish it didn't do was follow the board so well. I might want to just move my hand back a little without the cursor following it, but such is life. We'll see what comes of it in the following weeks.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    Don Bluth's animation course starts soon.
    I'm really excited. Currently just drawing personal artwork and looking up fav artists to see how they approach it. I would love to post failed animation attempts in here, hopefully in the later future.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • NickRocksNickRocks Knock Knock Joined: Posts: 22,836
    bacc on the painting thing, this time watching youtube tutorials

King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • StockyJamStockyJam My nigga Networkingyuppy Joined: Posts: 5,754
    i personally use infinite painter, corel mobile, and artflow for android.
    i almost never use windows.
    pc gets too hot when you try to use art apps.
    but one day i'll use my samsung ativ 700t with wacom tech for something.
    on android i use a galaxy note 12.2 wacom technology.
    StockyJam wrote: »
    i personally use infinite painter, corel mobile, and artflow for android.
    i almost never use windows.
    pc gets too hot when you try to use art apps.
    but one day i'll use my samsung ativ 700t with wacom tech for something.
    on android i use a galaxy note 12.2 wacom technology.

What are you talking about.
    You can do everything in PS and I've never had any performance or heat issues unless you're working with absurd and illogical image sizes
  • KlivesKlives Joined: Posts: 105
    @Citrus_monkey

What kind of concept art do you do? I'd be curious to see your work.
    edited September 6
    Klives wrote: »
    @Citrus_monkey

What kind of concept art do you do? I'd be curious to see your work.

Freelance mostly, on contracts(illustration too). Also, sure thing:

https://www.artstation.com/c0nstantini

Most work isn't up to date. You're rarely allowed to show project work until like a year later or more :/

I've never heard of artstation. I use carbonmade for my portfolio.

But the way your work is organized on artstation has me interested.
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • NickRocksNickRocks Knock Knock Joined: Posts: 22,836
    oil painting is kiccing my ass. gonna sign up for a class
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,782
    Happy birthday maxx

X8fxMn8.jpg

( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • KlivesKlives Joined: Posts: 105

Freelance mostly, on contracts(illustration too). Also, sure thing:

https://www.artstation.com/c0nstantini

Most work isn't up to date. You're rarely allowed to show project work until like a year later or more :/

Nice, i like your style. There's a lot of variety. You even do pixel art lol, that's awesome. I've heard it's very time-consuming.

• Riot GuardRiot Guard Old School Joined: Posts: 3,907
    I'm thinking about getting an iPad Pro/Procreate/Apple pencil combo to get started with digital art. I'm cautious of going with Apple though as I don't know how good it will be with 3rd party support.
    edited October 30
    I found this website for practicing figure drawing and facial expressions.

https://line-of-action.com/
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    edited October 30
    Manga Studio 5/ Clip Studio 5 (Same program) is really good. Great line quality and light weight for a reasonable price. (They usually have sales for it at 50-60% on summers. One is on right now.)
    Photoshop if your wallet can afford it but generally I think its over rated and for illustrations you dont use all of the features other competitors dont have.
    Krita. Free online software. I havent used it but its kinda like Clip Studio and Photoshop.

Those are ones I seen most comic book artists use. Other potential one is Paint Tool Sai (?) Its really lightweight and simple.
    Personally, I like Manga Studio cause the its streamlined but still has an easy to understand custom-ability to its brushes.

As for art tablets, aside from Wacom theres another one called Huion. Cheaper then Wacom but the trade off is drivers are ass and doesnt have the quartz(?) battery pen Wacom has. So you have to keep it charged to use it.

i personally use Samsung Galaxy Note tablets.
    wacom too expensive.
    Galaxy Note tablets have wacom technology in them. hence why they work perfectly for art.
    i have the 12.2 and 8.0 tablets.
    i also have a samsung Ative 700t. again. wacom tech.

as for art apps...i mostly use infinite painter and corel mobile. i also recommend artflow and cloverpaint. medibang is good too. all android os based apps.

some galaxy note 12.2 speedpainting using android app artflow

Post edited by StockyJam on
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    Markers are great for coloring from what I've heard. Never tried them though... Personally I want to go digital for colored work since markers (copics in particular) have asinine prices.

Drawing comics could be done with markers alone I'm sure, but a set of ink pens helps me with fine details and line quality.

get liquid ink bottles. and a dip pen and brushes. markers arent necessary not to mention pretty limited in what they can do.
    I'll argue that using a gel pen will force you to git gud at being assertive and study your material properly because there's no room for chicken scratching or BS. When I was a wee young artist I had a lot of trouble with that and then bought 20 cheap gel pens and went nuts for like a year using them. It helped a lot.
    edited October 30
    i forgot all about gel pens after i discovered sharpie ultra fine point permanent markers.
    theyre the only "pens" i use. never looked back.
    717800_p_shuf_epop_24cd?$OD-Large$&wid=450&hei=450
    i highly recommend them.

edit
    this is how theyre points look like

76536.jpg?mark64=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5qZXRwZW5zLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvYXNzZXRzL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmc&markalign64=dG9wLHJpZ2h0&markscale=19&s=c2efcce9575b02969ee9011399a66a17

theyre like graphic pens but the point is big enough to release a good solid dependable stream of ink. the biggest issue i had with gel pens is that since they had rolling ball points, like any ball point pen they had the issue/tendency of quitting on you while drawing.
    and youd have unwanted broken lines.

but these ultra fine sharpie markers have all the positive of gel pens without the issues.

but like i said, dip pen inks with dip pen not so much for drawing but painting. for painting.
    lik for example.
    lets say, you wanna draw white lines over black ink. impossible with markers, pens, and such.
    even if you find a white ink marker or gel pen, it wont write very well.
    with dip pen inks and dip pen....easy peasy.
    so...
    if you plan on doing something leaning towards more of a drawing than painting.
    use sharpie ultra fine
    if its more painterly like you plan on layering...use ink bottles.
    edited October 30
    heres some of my go to stuff.

JAXQNsf.jpg

de leonardt & co dip pen nibs with its holder.
    marvy le plume 2 brush markers
    sharpie ultra fine markers
    liquitex inks and winsor & newton inks.
    factis extra soft erasers to erase and not smudge.

and

kndxlZ3.jpg

faber-castell pastel pencils
    prismacolor watercolor pencils
    loew cornell oil pastels.

here is what a oil pastel work looks like.

I2v1Rdg.jpg

oil pastels are very very hard to work with but the trade off is they have extremely vibrant vivid color. like nothing else. try out oil pastels if you havent already.
    tho...
    i recommend to have two things when working with oil pastels or oil crayons.
    one is a blending pencil.
    the other is a Xacto knife to scratch and remove any oil pastel you want.

this is what a blending pencil looks like.

20592-1000-1-2ww-m.jpg

this is the one i use. its a Lyra Rembrandt Splender colorless blender pencil
    there are colorless oil pastel blender sticks too. those are better for top layer blending as opposed to bottom layer blending with the pencil.
  • Riot GuardRiot Guard Old School Joined: Posts: 3,907
    Some stippling.

edited 4:33AM
    Comes out yellow, can't help it in .gif.
    But hey, looks fine in .mov
    Mu1mGl7.gif
    Twitter; PozerWolf
15678911»