The Official Call Of Duty Thread: CoD WW2 BETA coming Soon.

Comments

• axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,695
    Is Ghosts more "meh" or straight up terrible? The reason I never got it was the "meh" I experienced when I had 30 minutes with it last year. I never even researched the things people hated gameplay wise.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,321
    An issue I believe that hurt Ghosts was it was released duing a console generation shift. Because of that the games devs had to compromise a lot between different consoles. Playing on 360 i felt like it was gimped. I love ground war but no ground war made a lot of maps boring and slow because no one could find each other. For example Stonehaven would be great as a MW2 or WaW map.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,862
    One of the few things Ghosts had over BO2 was better maps and DLC.
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • OerbaOerba Just a joke! Joined: Posts: 1,373
    axeman61 wrote: »
    Is Ghosts more "meh" or straight up terrible? The reason I never got it was the "meh" I experienced when I had 30 minutes with it last year. I never even researched the things people hated gameplay wise.

I find it to be more "meh" than terrible. The game is slower than any other CoD, with most of the higher end killstreaks being worthless or boring. The perk system, to me, is bland and they need to stop letting people use multiple perks in the same category. I found myself using the same 2/3 perks on every class just because there was no reason to use anything different. At least in older titles you had to make compromises. As for the weapons, some of my favorite things from previous titles just seemed flat out worse, namely the magnum and Riot Shield. There's nothing in Ghosts that would make me stop playing MW3 or BO2 to go back to it. Hell, last time I checked the populations of the games on PS3 BO2 had 150-180K people playing, compared to Ghosts 80K.
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,658
    edited August 2014
    Ghosts was really underwhelming. Hoping for hype this fall. I'll probably get the game regardless :facepalm:.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't nearly as good as BO2. Or even MW3.
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
  • PterodactylPterodactyl The time has come and so have I Joined: Posts: 7,194

Ghosts is "meh" with a few good things, MW3 is bad with a few "meh" things.
    One of the few things Ghosts had over BO2 was better maps and DLC.

You know what, these maps would be awesome if they were used in a treyarch COD, but they aren't, so you're technically right.

The DLC maps on Ghosts are the best i've seen, which pisses me off.
    spread'em
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Map design is the major factor at the end of the day. MW3 and Ghosts were both horrid. My only gripe with BO2 and why I couldn't enjoy it as much was the whole anti camping theme they had going.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    Map design is the major factor at the end of the day. MW3 and Ghosts were both horrid. My only gripe with BO2 and why I couldn't enjoy it as much was the whole anti camping theme they had going.

The camping in Black Ops 2 was actually incredible, in fact. Nothing they attempted worked.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My KDR will never approach that again, most likely. Shock charges, target finders, x2 Betties...Oh Black Ops 2.
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,695
    edited August 2014
    That's the thing that got to me about the whole anti-camping thing. You can't do it. Period. You could remove all the explosive trap equipment and make all the maps one level. People would still find good spots to hide behind and just camp them. I mean, it's possible to make camping WORSE with multiple levels and more effective equipment, but you'll never remove it. You'll just minimize it.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
    edited August 2014
    As long as this game has good shotguns, pistols, and mobility perks i'll be set.

I need those.

UAV<Care Package<Sentry/Defensive machine thingy with AI would be great too, that's usually my go to killstreak set-up, it's low but I can get all of those quickly and consistently(and if I really want to play like scum, i'd use hardline), at least, and care packages are broken as shit as far as killstreaks are concerned(3-5 kills for something that usually takes 6-12 kills to get like 50% of the time? hell yes). Get a UAV, drop the package, set up the turret or drone or whatever right around it(with claymores/C4s/Betties in entrance points), pick off stragglers and thieves, get reward while earning all or some of it back in the process. Even better when it's around a building or area with tight corners, or a couple of rooms, or weird sight-lines, because picking people off is fun but shotgun ambushes are satisfying as fuck. And in the care cases in which I played team games i'd be Santa Claus, raining care packages down for the team.

With that you can kind of camp, but only in Free For All(best mode in the game IMO), and you have a good amount of idiots in your room, and you have the right weapons.

Examples via shameless video plugs:

Terrible/Sloppy/Noobish? Probably. Consistent for me? Very.

My biggest gripe with Ghosts was that I couldn't have that set-up consistently with the way they changed the care packages, and the fact that they made the sentries cost more in place of the dog. They neutered the Magnum to shit, that also pissed me off greatly.

All I really did in Ghosts was slide around with the MTS blowing people's dicks off and doing #SykMLgC4TricShawtz most of the time. Maybe fuck around with the Chainsaw a bit.

I played a lot of extinction though, that was good.

I sold Ghosts to a friend for 20$, and I could have gotten a better deal, but I didn't even care at that point because it was so boring to me.

spread'em
    That's the thing that got to me about the whole anti-camping thing. You can't do it. Period.

What that actually said by either Treyarch or IW? I see it only mentioned here and nowhere else.
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That's the thing that got to me about the whole anti-camping thing. You can't do it. Period.

What that actually said by either Treyarch or IW? I see it only mentioned here and nowhere else.

Yes, both of them mentioned several times they were "Going to eliminate camping entirely and that it was a major focus."
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
    How about they get rid of quickscoping instead? Now that shit is an exploit of the game's aim assist and guns ability to OHKO.

Just make snipers ADS the slowest and reverse the range so the sniper rifles do more damage at longer ranges. Will explain more later.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • tuffgongtuffgong Where da white women at tho Joined: Posts: 12
    Bravo! wrote: »
    People really think BO2 is better than Ghosts?

If by people you mean almost everybody?

IMO the only COD worse than Ghosts is MW3.

damn son those are my two of my three favorite COD games :(

but really tho, where da white women at..
    @Pterodactyl‌ Think you'll be getting a PS4 before this one drops?
    I hope so.

If everything goes according to plan I should have one before the fall release season really kicks into gear.

Got a few games i'm looking forward to during that time (Alien Isolation, Borderlands, Evolve, and of course COD:AW).

spread'em
    I hope so.

If everything goes according to plan I should have one before the fall release season really kicks into gear.

Got a few games i'm looking forward to during that time (Alien Isolation, Borderlands, Evolve, and of course COD:AW).

Nice.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,834
    edited August 2014
    Infernoman wrote: »
    How about they get rid of quickscoping instead? Now that shit is an exploit of the game's aim assist and guns ability to OHKO.

Just make snipers ADS the slowest and reverse the range so the sniper rifles do more damage at longer ranges. Will explain more later.

Actually I think I might have a better idea so as to not possibly destroy the overall functionality and efficiency of snipers in the game.

Ridiculous low accuracy for the first half second of scope zoom. Disable Sniper Rifle ADS while moving. I guarantee you that will nearly kill off quickscoping, if not entirely. Whenever you see somebody do that they are always doing strafing and drop shot stuff. Constantly moving. If word gets out that you have to become an idle target to quick scope it will scare many off. Trying to QS anyway will get rid of the remainder.

Now for some Specifics
    -Immediate low accuracy needs to be absurd. The kinda thing that makes Mechromancer feel sorry for you. The first half second that you enter the scope, that Sniper should have 10% chance of firing where you want it to. At timestamp 0.51 seconds of scoping in, accuracy returns to normal.
    -For those of you thinking "But the best quick scopers dont actually enter the scope!", that is where the second criteria comes into play. You can't ADS while moving. You have to stop and stand still, and then scope in. Most will get ripped to shreds by the opposition before they can fire reliably.
    -You CAN, however, move while ADS. This will still allow the people sniping properly to slowly poke out around corners and stuff without worrying about game mechanics.

This will encourage/enforce proper sniper usage. Some may say "Fuck that then camping will be even more common!". Yes. It will. Sniper Rifles are, always have, and always will be intended to fire from a fixed position far away. Don't apply house rules to a game and a built in feature other people use wont annoy you. With the formula the gameplay follows and how the game is built, you cannot get rid of quick scoping without gaining some opposition else where. Even if you got rid of Snipers entirely, that will result in more people using that LMG you hate, or the shotgun with ridiculous range.

EDIT for @Infernoman since he disagrees: The problem I have with your two changes are this
    1. Having the sniper do different damage at different ranges would be silly for a couple reasons. In a series that aims for accuracy with it's virtual rendition of real guns, having a rifle do virtually no damage because somebody stepped in front of you is pretty mind boggling. The whole counter idea to a sniper is that it's single shot, and the sights are zoomed in. So in theory when you get close, a sniper has no efficient means of aiming without microscoping into the DNA of your skin in addition to the weapon being single shot and high recoil, so a missed shot can have huge consequences close range. There is the off chance you get lucky and hit the shot and save your skin, but it's normally luck more than anything. The whole weapon class already has enough going against it, we dont need to make it completely useless within a 20ft range.

2. Slowing ADS with snipers even more than it has already been altered, will hurt the practice of using a sniper in theory. Think about what you normally do with a sniper. You zoom in on a select area if you are expecting enemy traffic there. If you dont see anybody you come out of the scope to check the larger area in front of you since you have a better field of view. It lets you know if you should be expecting company shortly. If you make ADS even slower than it currently is, it slows the reaction time of the player. So say you see somebody come sprinting around a corner about 300 feet ahead while you are out of your scope. Your brain registers and tells your left finger to press so you can zoom in. He is now 285 feet. The scope finally gets up to your face. 270 Feet. You register where your cross hair is and start bringing it to where he is. He already turned a corner and capped your teammate. Now granted something like that wont happen all the time, but even in older COD games I've seen a bunch of times already where somebody left my field of view before I could line up a shot. ADS is much faster in those games. With it being slower than in Ghosts? I'd never touch the things.

3. Back to the thing about range damage, having 5 main weapons completely based around "you must be x distance to do y damage" will certainly have an impact on map design. They will have to account for the fact that they need a certain amount of maps where a sniper is effective. This will encourage more of those obscenely oversized battlefield-esque maps. I feel like COD thrives most when maps are kept as compact as possible, but there is a line. Things like that one map from COD4, Shipment I think it was called, are absolutely far too small. Where as a map like Fuel(MW2) is too large, having many unused areas that do not see combat. They are purely designer fluff. You could lop off the whole right half of that map and the bottom-left corner, and it wouldnt make a difference to map flow because no one goes there. Another example is that castle map in Ghosts. Too much empty unused space. Additionally, there will be times with no doubt in my mind, where they over compensate for range damage and make maps where every single player uses a sniper rifle because moving in open space=death.

Basically I feel like your suggestions are more aimed at crippling Sniper Rifles entirely, as opposed to rooting out a single obnoxious issue that came forth from game design.
    Post edited by XthAtGAm3RGuYX on
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    Well for what it's worth, there is no aim-assist when you are not scoped in with a sniper in Ghosts.
    edited August 2014
    They need more scopeless snipers IMO.

Scopeless ballista made me rock hard in BO2.

Felt like I was hunting people with that thing.

(not me)

That thing was straight up disrespectful.

---

Just wondering, what were the weapons you guys had the most kills with?

For me in BO2 it was the Executioner(a shotgun revolver)
    In Ghosts it was the MTS(a revolver shotgun)

MW2 - RPD
    BO1 - I remember being really gay for the Olympia, but it could have been the stakeout.
    Post edited by Pterodactyl on
    spread'em
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,834
    I can recall most of them off the top of my head.
    COD4: AK47
    MW2: It was either AK47, 50 Cal, UMP
    BO2 It was likely the MSMC
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • nikeSBstunna89nikeSBstunna89 WOLVES Joined: Posts: 1,493
    For me it was the peacekeeper in bo2. I had like a 3 kd with that thing.
    MW2: Vector
    BO: Mac-10
    MW3: Model 1887
    BO2: SWAT
    Ghost: CBJ
    The 1887 was my gun with most kills in MW3 too.

That thing is so ridiculous with range, goes from "meh" to borderline OP.

Damn-near sniping people with a shotgun,
    spread'em
  • HyperGearHyperGear Joined: Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Watching the MP reveal of Call of Titanfall :rofl:
    edited August 2014
    HyperGear wrote: »

Yeah the MP showing is underwhelming to say the least. It is literally Ghosts with Jetpacks, infact you can argue the graphics somehow got WORSE. This has just been a terrible fucking showing.

Please do not watch the MP reveal, it is fucking terrible in every way. If you have any hope for this game, skip this reveal and hope they release something that makes this look better then what they showed.
    Post edited by jae hoon on
  • nikeSBstunna89nikeSBstunna89 WOLVES Joined: Posts: 1,493
    Omg what the fuck was that?? Everything about that was horrible. Right down to that abysmal commentary.
    jae hoon wrote: »

Yeah the MP showing is underwhelming to say the least. It is literally Ghosts with Jetpacks, infact you can argue the graphics somehow got WORSE. This has just been a terrible fucking showing.

Please do not watch the MP reveal, it is fucking terrible in every way. If you have any hope for this game, skip this reveal and hope they release something that makes this look better then what they showed.

Wait, graphics actually matter in a Call of Duty game now?
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,381
    『コール オブ デューティ アドバンスド・ウォーフェア』プレイ動画:
    jae hoon wrote: »

Wait, graphics actually matter in a Call of Duty game now?

When they are worse then the previous games, yes. Especially when Activision has made such a big deal about them.
    can't say I'm surprised in any way, it looks like it's trying to be BO2 and Titanfall but without the mechs...not sure how I feel about it. looks better than ghosts but that's not saying much
    What the shit
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just watched the trailer............LOL
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    You were warned!
    Finally watched it. I don't see the big issue. Looks like fun.
    Boobologist Ph.D
    Reminds me a lot of Halo Reach, dumb jetpacks and all that. Not looking forward to this at all:(
    edited August 2014
    Looks really fun actually.

Better than Ghosts and MW3 looked in their reveals, IMO.

FPS basketball? Looks fun.

Force-push shotgun, non-speed removing riot shield, vertical movement, colorful levels, swimming, jet strafing and jumping that will definitely make running, gunning, setting up shop, patrolling areas and flushing out groups and campers x2 more fun? You had my curiosity... now you have my attention.

Handheld magnum styled motherfucking RAILGUN, character customization that allows more colors than green/blue/black, pick 13 instead of 10, the option to exchange killstreaks for things like perks or wildcards, shooting while sliding, melee that makes enemies fly off while hilariously rag dolling, infinite/near-infinite sprinting, customizable killstreaks, the ability to unlock different variations of existing weapons so I can maximize damage or fire rate to ridiculous levels, and two forearm mounted mini guns as a primary weapon!?! My feelings right now can only be conveyed via a crudely and quickly drawn image

NxtjtzI.png

---
    I'm not getting the hate, this game looks good.

Looks like an upgraded BO2. Just watching it, it looks to even have that same fast pace and momentum, where you feel like a damn steam roller once you start getting a few kills.

Looks good:
    spread'em
    edited August 2014
    Posting this vid here cause it's short and explains hella shit:

Also worthy of note:
    -No C4
    -No Dead Silence
    -Sprinting seems infinite
    Boobologist Ph.D
    edited August 2014
    So this game is basically "Black Ops 2 2: The Few Good Parts of Ghosts and TitanFall Also".

I'm loving what i'm seeing and hearing.
    spread'em
    Hmm now that is at least something Sledgehammer can claim is new...the random supply drops make it feel like Diablo or more like TF2/Borderlands with variants of guns you can use. That I admit does pique my interest. On the other hand, to make the most of this, I'll need to play on Xbone...fuck...that... well for now.