Square Enix sued by SNK Playmore

C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
edited August 6 in General Discussion
Interesting news today. According to a report by the MSN Sankei, Square Enix's main office in Tokyo and related personnel were raided on August 5 by the Osaka district police due to a criminal lawsuit filed by SNK Playmore.

The claim alleges that SNK Playmore's intellectual properties were being infringed by Square Enix's publishing division in their popular arcade manga "High-score Girl". Police officials will be looking through confiscated evidence and will be conducting interrogations to the editor as well as the author, Rensuke Oshikiri.

"High-score Girl" is a love comedy manga that takes place in Japan during the 1990s and features many scenes with fighting games which was the big trend at the time. SNK Playmore claims that the manga has over 100 cutscenes featuring characters from their games including KOF and Samurai Shodown. The end pages of the books have (C) printed with SNKPlaymore's company name, making it look as though they were published under permission.

SNK Playmore realized the infringement when anime production for High-score Girl began in summer of 2013 and its production company contacted them for authorization on the use of their characters and music. The company filed suit this May.

Article
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/west/west_affairs/news/140806/waf14080602000002-n2.htm

A page of the manga
wHEYctH.png

bZdzUHF.png

6lXhGSC.png

Post edited by C-Sword on

Comments

• d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,807 mod
    SNK and SNK Playmore are technically different entities/companies. I'm guessing that Squeenix thought that since the former was technically dead, they could use the images without licensing them first.
  • BzChoyBzChoy Joined: Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Aw shit. Does that mean the manga publication might be interrupted and the anime adaptation won't be out anytime soon?

It's a downer as I really enjoy the manga and am looking forward for the anime, but TBH I kinda expected it. It was just a matter of time and there it is.
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭
    So does that mean SNK will come back now after this sue? They did it once before~
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.
  • SesshomaruSesshomaru ITS NOT RAPE IF U ENJOY IT Joined: Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    Sleazoid wrote: »
    one company that became shittier after a merger being sued by another company that became shittier after a merger

is this irony or just a coincidence
    I didnt know Capcom merged :p
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that´s why it´s called the present!!
  • TheKingOfParodyTheKingOfParody Weird is the new normal Joined: Posts: 699 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6
    I like how the SF cabinet has only 2 butt-tonz.
    and a jlf balltop instead of a Happ comp.
    so authentic lookin.

edit:
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    it sems authentic.
    streetfightjpg_zps78738eac.jpg
    I wonder how people alternated between the light mid and heavy attacks?
    Post edited by TheKingOfParody on
  • King9999King9999 Oraoraora...Mudamudamuda Joined: Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so authentic lookin.

edit:
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    it sems authentic.

There were no mid attacks, just light and heavy. Tap the button for light, hold for heavy. In order to use special moves, you would input the command and pray.
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8754-7747
    PSN/Steam ID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    #TheMassacreOfE32013 Never forget...
  • OGSFOGSF Joined: Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    If that's the case, then will Netherrealm Studios and Capcom fallow suit...

*Waiting for someone to post, "I see what you did there."
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Tech Talk Demi-God Joined: Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So funny Square published this series. You know, the company who C&D's everyone and their mom for even looking like a SE game. Sad and pathetic that they want to commit the crime they're against.

Oh wait tho, this is their statement and leading by example!

Square Enix: "But really, this is exactly why we chase down and C&D our fans! Because what we did without shame just might happen to one of you! Look, we just did it to you bitch! What you gonna do? C&D us! DO IT!!"
    Facebook group dedicated to 2D gaming and 2D game design
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2d.gaming.design
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    SRK Tech Talk now also on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/srk.tech.talk
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Square Enix C&D to the best fan game i've ever seen

I hope the mangaka can publish their work elsewhere because I actually enjoy the series. But SquareEnix can burn in hell for all I care.
    If everyone else could move upwards socially, so can blacks. They are just dumb.
    "This comparison ignores the unique history of discrimination against Black people in America. Over the past four centuries, Black history has included nearly 250 years of slavery, 100 years of legalized discrimination, and only 50 years of anything else. Jews and Asians, on the other hand, are populations that immigrated to North America and included doctors, lawyers, professors, and entrepreneurs among their ranks. Moreover, European Jews are able to function as part of the White majority. To expect Blacks to show the same upward mobility as Jews and Asians is to deny the historical and social reality that Black people face."
  • john4pjohn4p block OS reversal Joined: Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    King9999 wrote: »
    so authentic lookin.

edit:
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    it sems authentic.

There were no mid attacks, just light and heavy. Tap the button for light, hold for heavy. In order to use special moves, you would input the command and pray.

Yes there were medium attacks. The buttons were pressure sensitive.
  • Running WildRunning Wild Neo-Geo Weenie Joined: Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7
    Sleazoid wrote: »
    one company that became shittier after a merger being sued by another company that became shittier after a merger

At least get your info here right. SNK Playmore is not the result of a merger. The original SNK, was founded by Eikichi Kawasaki. In 2000 SNK started having financial troubles and it was acquired by Aruze that started making pachinko games based on SNK properties, while basically fucking over SNK, so Kawasaki left the company and founded Playmore in 2001, the same year SNK officially went bankrupt. Then Kawasaki would bid on all of SNK's intellectual rights during the next year, successfully sue Aruze for copyright infringement, and SNK Playmore was born.

They've had their ups and downs over the years, and I'd say the last few years were the worst because they've been focused almost entirely on Pachinko, Mobile, and licensing their characters/properties to other companies. But it also had to do with them changing President a few times, one of them wanted to outright shut down the video game division from what I remember reading.

Still I pretty much consider SNK Playmore to be nothing more than a shell of the original.

Also Hi-Score Girl is a really good manga, copyright infringement aside, it's a neat concept and executed pretty well.
    Post edited by Running Wild on
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    "The only Option Selects I want in fighting games are the control configuration and sound test."
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully this funds KOF14
    GT: Hector Garfria POKEMON X: 4356-0322-4220 | Hector | Friend Safari: Boldore, Macargo, Barbaracle
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7
    Ok a bit off topic but but it's kinda related in a round about way, i dunno if it is true or urban legend, capcom sued data east over matlock, off of fighters history but then years later create yun and yang who are obviously rip off lee, what's the deal? was data east already bust by then?

Did this really happen? or was it just a myth?
    Post edited by Virtua_Leon on
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7
    Capcom sued Data East saying they copied sf2 in it's entirety. Data East was planning counter suing Capcom for copying Karate Champ as it's defense. But, Capcom's lawsuit got thrown out of court so the whole lawsuit went no where.

Edit:
    Data East went belly up in 2006 and most of it's IPs got bought by G-Mode a mobile company. The only IP I know of G-Mode didn't get was Metal Max which went to Enterbrain.
    Post edited by jedpossum on
    I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. http://www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum/ [8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    jedpossum wrote: »
    Capcom sued Data East saying they copied sf2 in it's entirety. Data East was planning counter suing Capcom for copying Karate Champ as it's defense. But, Capcom's lawsuit got thrown out of court so the whole lawsuit went no where.

Thanks i never knew it was thrown out of court, glad common sense prevailed
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • King9999King9999 Oraoraora...Mudamudamuda Joined: Posts: 9,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    john4p wrote: »
    so authentic lookin.

edit:
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    it sems authentic.

Were there? I know about the pressure-sensitive buttons, but my experience with the game was on the Turbo Duo.
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8754-7747
    PSN/Steam ID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    #TheMassacreOfE32013 Never forget...
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7
    BzChoy wrote: »
    Aw shit. Does that mean the manga publication might be interrupted and the anime adaptation won't be out anytime soon?

It's a downer as I really enjoy the manga and am looking forward for the anime, but TBH I kinda expected it. It was just a matter of time and there it is.

Who cares about some bitch ass manga, New Berserk is due out tomorrow! And the author already confirmed 337 is due in September too, hopefully this means more regular doses of Berserk.

I'm anxious to see Rickert's reaction now that he knows what an unforgivable piece of dogshit Griffith is.
    Post edited by de BLOO on
    GT: Hector Garfria POKEMON X: 4356-0322-4220 | Hector | Friend Safari: Boldore, Macargo, Barbaracle
    The story keeps going:
    Square Enix is voluntarily recalling all print volumes of Rensuke Oshikiri's Hi Score Girl manga after police searched the publisher's headquarters due to alleged copyright violations. SNK Playmore had filed a complaint, asserting that the manga features over 100 instances of characters from The King of Fighters, Samurai Spirits (Samurai Shodown), and other fighting games owned by SNK.

Square Enix is also halting the sale of the manga's digital release, as well as sales of the manga's official fanbook in print. Square Enix Holdings' public relations representative emphasized that the publisher is not acknowledging that the allegations of copyright violations are true, but it decided on the voluntary recall in light of the tumultuous situation.

However, the manga will continue to run in Square Enix's Monthly Big Gangan magazine. Also, the publisher told the ITmedia News website that "there are no changes" to the plans to adapt the manga into anime. However, Square Enix's public relations representative then told the Gadget Tsūshin website that the publisher has not decided whether to cancel or continue the anime plans.

An SNK Playmore representative told ITmedia News that there were "absolutely no" requests or discussions by Square Enix to obtain consent to use SNK characters. The manga also uses characters from CAPCOM's Street Fighter II, Sega's Virtua Fighter, Namco's Genpei Tōma Den, and other games. ITmedia News contacted CAPCOM, Sega, and Bandai Namco Games, and each one said that it gave formal consent for the manga to use its games' characters. The endnotes for the manga's first volume includes the copyright notice pictured left.

The story of the "'90s arcade romantic comedy" manga begins in 1991, during the heyday of the 2D fighting game boom. Sixth-grader Haruo spends practically his entire day at an arcade in the seedy part of town, oblivious to the world around him. However, one day at his usual arcade, he encounters Akira, his female classmate with good grades and money. She may look out of place at the arcade, but she is actually a top-class gamer. Akira completely outmatches Haruo in one Street Fighter II round after another, and their relationship develops from this unlikely encounter.

Oshikiri launched the manga in Square Enix's Big Gangan magazine in 2010, and Square Enix published the fifth compiled book volume of the manga in December.
    Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-06/hi-score-girl-manga-recalled-after-snk-copyright-charges/.77361

OGSF wrote: »
    If that's the case, then will Netherrealm Studios and Capcom fallow suit...
    Ha, sorry to disappoint you, but...
    The manga also uses characters from CAPCOM's Street Fighter II, Sega's Virtua Fighter, Namco's Genpei Tōma Den, and other games. ITmedia News contacted CAPCOM, Sega, and Bandai Namco Games, and each one said that it gave formal consent for the manga to use its games' characters.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Flawless Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if something fishy is going on here. Why would they get consent from everyone but SNK? More importantly, what does SNK stand to gain from this? I wonder if it's something like executives from both companies were drinking together, SE guy brought this up, SNK guy said ok, SNK guy didnt remember it in the morning because nobody wrote up any papers because alcohol
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • john4pjohn4p block OS reversal Joined: Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    so authentic lookin.

edit:
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    it sems authentic.

Were there? I know about the pressure-sensitive buttons, but my experience with the game was on the Turbo Duo.
    Yes there were. But as the pressure sensitive buttons were prone to break Capcom built later versions of the SF1 arcade cabinet with 6 buttons (x2).
  • ManxManx Talent is cheaper than table salt. Joined: Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a management that's frustrated with engineering if I ever seen one. "Pressure sensitive buttons too fragile? Fuck it! 6 buttons!!!"

:rofl:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins untill "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
  • BEWDBEWD 鬼の顔 Joined: Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tap the button for light, hold for heavy. In order to use special moves, you would input the command and pray.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that reminds me of AVGN playing sf1 in his SF2010 review and trying to do a shoryuken

"Shoryuken! Shoryuken!! More like Sure-You-Can't!"
    世界最強の生物
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭✭
    unrelated but tech talk will find this interesting.

back in 1998.

SNK sued HORI (yes the arcade stick/peripheral maker) for making NEO-GEO arcade sticks, some of the reasons was because it had Turbo functions. Reasoning was that it ruined the their game's intended experiences. Some other reasons were basically that it was unlicensed and the use of the word "NEO" in the product, and copying 'code/protocol' of their hardware (which didn't make sense considering how neogeo inputs work lol).

short summary of the case, in japanese.
    http://www.softic.or.jp/YWG/reports/SNK_v_Hori.html

Those line level signals make for some tough to crack code.
  • TheKingOfParodyTheKingOfParody Weird is the new normal Joined: Posts: 699 ✭✭✭
    so authentic lookin.

edit:
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    it sems authentic.

Yes there were. But as the pressure sensitive buttons were prone to break Capcom built later versions of the SF1 arcade cabinet with 6 buttons (x2).
    of course those pressure sensitive buttons broke.
    peeps doing dem Makoto chops.

so thats where Go For Broke originated from.

• Raz0rRaz0r 私は不承認 Joined: Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread sure shined a light on hidden weeaboos.
    This is offensive.
  • pablofsipablofsi Joined: Posts: 124
    I hope Capcom also somehow bites it a little, on the rebound. Their interaction is all over the place; advertising, some guys who work with them. There might be an intention to damage SNKP from them which can be argumented by SNKP on court.

It's looking good for the upcoming KOF XIV.

Raz0r wrote: »
    This thread sure shined a light on hidden weeaboos.

Ha! As much as I like SNK games, I am definitely not on their side this time.

What if they used that money to release... a subpar KOF game? Now that'd be double the bitch.
  • Zio_NameZio_Name Joined: Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    I have an idea for a settlement:

Square-Enix funds the entire development of KoF XIV, obviously not receiving a dime of profit. And SNK Playmore denies the consent for the Manga AND Anime just to troll them.

Just Kidding of course. Still, very, very interested to see how this turns out.
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭
    SNK Playmore v Square-Enix
    Hmmmmm...
  • vansaykeovansaykeo Joined: Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    SNK Playmore v Square-Enix
    Hmmmmm...

SNK Playmore v Square-Enix sound more like a cross over game title. Imagine the overload of feminine male characters in one game.
  • CryohCryoh Rock Shock Thunderous Beat Joined: Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Ross wrote: »
    pherai wrote: »
    for some reason i always assumed japanese people didnt play mortal kombat

Considering the older games are unfriendly to a standard 6 button layout, you would be right. Ed Boon over here thinking a block button in a fighting game was a good idea.

"But the block button gives players a single-frame advantage!" -Ed Boon

The advantage that comes from the LP -->HP trap. Do it in the corner, ad infinitum.

All characters share the same normals? It's abnormal why they would allocate 4 attack buttons. Just do it VF style: guard, punch, kick. Back + Kick = standing roundhouse; downback + kick = sweep. Ingenious, just solved shitty game design.

Oddly enough, that's more or less how MK's controls were done on the Sega Genesis.
    Missing Person - There should be a middle ground. But one side refuses to acknowledge the point that being a gamer, being against misogyny, and being for journalistic professionalism and integrity are NOT mutually exclusive, because to concede that would mean they would have to concede that journalistic integrity should be attained and thus they would have to fess up.
  • RaurikRaurik Joined: Posts: 73
    so authentic lookin.

edit:
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    it sems authentic.

It's based on how hard you hit it. The design was unpopular due to people breaking the machines and/or messing their hands up so Capcom 180'd the design and spread the levels of force out across three buttons for punch and kick respectively. And thus, the 6 button layout was born. :D
    Rick Ross wrote: »
    Back + Kick = standing roundhouse; downback + kick = sweep. Ingenious, just solved shitty game design.

You want this:
    Spoiler:

I love Yie Ar Kung Fu..
  • JamesTBakaJamesTBaka still looking for a fight stick case Joined: Posts: 2
    Two months later, Square-Enix counter-charges and wins against SNK-Playmore after proving they stole Squeenix's patented "dudes that looks like female retro-supermodels" art style when designing Ash Crimson.

Ash_Crimson.jpg

You're making it hard to pretend that Ash doesn't exist.
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9
    Raurik wrote: »
    It's based on how hard you hit it. The design was unpopular due to people breaking the machines and/or messing their hands up so Capcom 180'd the design and spread the levels of force out across three buttons for punch and kick respectively. And thus, the 6 button layout was born. :D

ADK's World Heroes series pretty much adopted the same model, having one punch button and one kick button (regular-sized, of course) and the strength of the attack depended on the force you used to tap the button (light tap = weak attacks, hard tap = strong attacks). It was a pretty wacky setup (they even had a THROW button, and I believe the fourth button of the Neo Geo config wasn't even used).

That stupid configuration lasted THREE FUCKIN GAMES until ADK decided it was time to assign a specific button to each attack by the fourth one (which turned out to be the last), World Heroes Perfect.
    Raurik wrote: »
    You're making it hard to pretend that Ash doesn't exist.

Judging by how the story ended in KOF XIII, I believe not even SNK Playmore wants to acknowledge that Ash ever existed, either.
    Post edited by Lantis on
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack