Ken vs Gief

DeskDesk ハイパー・ディーサイド・デスクJoined: Posts: 705
Ken vs Gief is a three part street fighter video, created mostly using The Street fighter EX2+ replay function. In it, I've tried to dipict the story of a big ass fight between Ken and Zangief. There's no dialog but it's easy to understand what's going on (Mainly because there's not a lot going on). To break things up a bit there's also lots and lots of combos in there too, from many different SF games inc. 3s, HyperZero, HyperSF, SF Collection, SF: movie and of course SFEX2.

I've been working on it for faaaaar too long but I just finished the last episode and it's all here for your viewing displeasure.

You can download them from combovideos.com.

Trailer:
http://combovideos.com/page.php?id=1309

Chapter 1: Confrontation
Ken spies Zangief kicking in Chun Li, they have a bit of a flash back then a big fight. Ken loses.

http://www.combovideos.com/page.php?id=1317

Chapter 2: Training
Ken needs to get back in shape so he has a big rocky style training montage.

http://combovideos.com/page.php?id=1333

Chapter 3: Vengeance
Back on top form, Ken again confronts Zangief. This time he plans ahead but it doesn't always go the way he wants it to.

http://www.combovideos.com/page.php?id=1352

Just want to say thanks to Buttermaker for helping me out with some sprite rips and majestros for being helpful and donating some footage :)

Again, all comments are welcome :)

Comments

• MrBusterMrBuster Jab Jab Jab = WIN! Joined: Posts: 440
    Seen those vids on combovideos.....Great work man, luvin' it
    " I'm from NY, we practice down back a lot." ~ Nick T.
  • Demon DashDemon Dash Hyper Viper Raccoon! Joined: Posts: 5,880
    ^Yeah, I kind of got that hint at the end too... I wonder if it had any meaning. I love the SF 2012 dream he has, it's cool. Like "Hmm, hmm, yeah! :confused: Nahh..."

Edit: I love it how you blended the 2D in with the 3D...
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,867 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What is the name of the song in the trailer?:pleased:
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    *scratches head*
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • DeskDesk ハイパー・ディーサイド・デスク Joined: Posts: 705
    What is the name of the song in the trailer?:pleased:

Hot n Cold by Basement Jaxx.

I don't think combovideos have the 3rd part up yet but I think it will be there soon :)
  • master akumamaster akuma akumacombos.com Joined: Posts: 447
    Great stuff, you have really cool ideas and nice video edit skills.
    CvS2 - C Vega,Hibiki,Morrigan,Cammy,Sakura,Blanka,Sagat
    SSF2T - Vega,Honda,Dhalsim,Chun
    A2 - Chun,Ryu
    Garou - Kain
  • jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    Just wanted to say, Desk, that I think your editing in Part 3 was phenomenal. I love it. Keep it up! I would love seeing more creative work like this done in more future Combo Videos.

And btw, does EX3 have that playback camera manipulation thing that EX2 had? 'Cause if it did, the fact that you ACTAULLY managed to maniuplate that camera to your advantage proves you have far more patience than I. ^_^ I couldn't get the EX2 ones to cooperate at all.

- James
    http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
  • fishjiefishjie no Joined: Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    the link to your 3rd youtube vid isnt working btw, it resets after the 5 second mark? the links to trailer and 1st vid worked fine though.
    Nicky's methods of betting weren't scientific, but they worked. When he won, he collected. When he lost, he told the bookies to go fuck themselves. I mean, what were they going to do, muscle Nicky? Nicky was the muscle
    Must be a problem on your end as I have no problems with it at all...
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
    Thanks muchly for the feedback guys makes me feel a bit better about spending quite so much time on these vids, lol.

jchensor, Thanks :) I don't think EX3 has the replay thing. I really wish it did though because I would have been using it too. As for the EX2 replay thing, When I first had the idea and was messing on with it, I got hella annoyed. It's really counter intuitive and seems limited. However after I got the hang of it I was able to get shots really quickly. The thing that will probably make me think twice before doing it again though is the fact that you have to record the round, save it, load it and edit, save it again and then load and capture the replay. That's why the whole thing took me so long, as I would take about 20mins getting 1 or 2 replay's then get really sick and not bother with it again, sometimes for weeks, lol. Also what was not really time consuming but quite difficult was editing the replay's together to make it seem like a single fight.

fishjie, The youtube link is fine, like DD said I think the problem is on your end.
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    As verification, EX3 does NOT have the replay nor the director mode (thats to be expected as rushed as EX3 was [only 3 months separating the PSX release of EX2+ and the PS2 release of EX3, heck japanese didn't even have an ingame commandlist]).

In which, while I might not have used it that much, I can defintely see the advantages of using it now. Too bad I hate EX2+ lol

That said, those were some cool ass juggles with Ken.

Great job
  • Ryu_311FunkRyu_311Funk Beautiful Disaster Joined: Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That was a pretty awsome vid man. Props :)
    From Chaos comes Clarity -311
  • ToXYToXY Scrubs up? Joined: Posts: 598
    good job man, nice vids.
  • VEGA_OMEGAVEGA_OMEGA Has Magic Bullets Joined: Posts: 999
    Awesome! really nice videos.
    I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    Good stuff, and nice editing too! :tup:
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    That was really innovative. Good shit mang. The music choice in the trailer was supoyb too!
  • SaBrESaBrE BAI BAI Joined: Posts: 4,495 mod
    wow desk, good job. that was a really clever series. I really enjoyed it. basic combos all the way up to zany combos told in a new way that hasnt been done yet. and the editing was REALLY good, especially chapter 3.

EXCELLENT
    AZ fighting game crew, team hAZmat

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
  • CowboydayCowboyday Pad Warrior Joined: Posts: 292
    Awesome stuff dude!
    don't know about marvel
    don't know about meter
    traded in my pimp coat
    for a lab coat
  • DigitalbootyDigitalbooty Cool but Rude Joined: Posts: 981
    I enjoyed this a lot.
    I'm outi

-Digitalbootyith
  • funkymusicfunkymusic ! Joined: Posts: 261
    wow just wow.... im very impressed AND entertained
    /ruffle
  • QuicksilverQuicksilver Joined: Posts: 72
    This series was awesome. Very impressive editing. I hope you do another series.
    "Have some fire scarecrow"
  • KhiempossibleKhiempossible NAGEHAME User Joined: Posts: 3,254
    impressive editing, kinda boring though. obviously others enjoyed it though, so don't take my lack of interest personally.
    "Win when you can; lose when you have to; but always play cheap" - Familyman
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    you could have SPDed with gief, then super jump immediately afterwards to get close to the opponent, and meaty tick SPD them again, to super jump, tick, FAB
  • Saotome KanedaSaotome Kaneda Watch your back Joined: Posts: 5,332 mod
    Desk wins SRK

PERFECT

now make a series where it's nothing but Gief raping ppl plzkthx
    Original Team Sp00ky Member - Only the finest of Poverty™ Gaming Hipster™
    Comic-Z vs Super Metroid Watch if you want to lose your mind
  • KhiempossibleKhiempossible NAGEHAME User Joined: Posts: 3,254
    on that note. I want to see some activate -> palm palm palm palm SPD.
    "Win when you can; lose when you have to; but always play cheap" - Familyman
  • Sp00kySp00ky Joined: Posts: 1,061
    Well done, i enjoyed it.
  • SatomibloodSatomiblood Cheeseburger Chong Joined: Posts: 4,556
    Ken's no doubt a skilled fighter, but he sucks at walking.

Kudos for the pimp Mr. X theme.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
  • JaldaboathJaldaboath SHOULDERCANNONSON Joined: Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Third chapter made me laugh like a madman. Top tier stuff.
    "One day, in a far off place, a small tribe witnessed a big animal, doing something different: walking on its hind legs. The scared tribe swore it was the devil, walking on land. That devil became the creature called Jaldaboath" - b1gazn
    2006 Most Fucked Up Battle Poll Champion: Vile

If you're looking for a USFIV updated mod, check out the "Mega Pack vol.2." And my dA page.
    Before this gets pushed off the first page :sweat: Would anyone be willing to danate footage to another project? I'm thinking of doing a similar thing but featuring some different characters. However, I'm not too keen on spending hella time recording combo's. I'd really want to concentrate on the 'movie' bits. Majestros was kind enough to give me a few clips for this video, so would anyone else be willing to contribute to the next one? Obviously everyone would be credited for their efforts.
  • laughlaugh eTokki.com Master Joined: Posts: 1,929
    Before this gets pushed off the first page :sweat: Would anyone be willing to danate footage to another project? I'm thinking of doing a similar thing but featuring some different characters. However, I'm not too keen on spending hella time recording combo's. I'd really want to concentrate on the 'movie' bits. Majestros was kind enough to give me a few clips for this video, so would anyone else be willing to contribute to the next one? Obviously everyone would be credited for their efforts.

I'm willing to help a little if there's something I can do.
    Rolento in SSF4!

eTokki.com - for the best arcade parts, converters, joysticks and more!
    I'm not bumping this thread to get more views, honest:sweat: .

laugh, Can you record and get footage? Although I haven't started the next vid yet, all I'm looking for is some peeps who could record some awesome combo's for me. With whichever 2 characters will be in the video. I'll probably take quite a while putting the vid together so there would be bags of time to get stuff done. Also, thanks for offering dude!
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Good vid. Best ending ever.
    Yo Desk I´m getting a USB2 capture card and splitter soon anyway so I´ll record some stuff... When I get it of course.
  • laughlaugh eTokki.com Master Joined: Posts: 1,929
    I'm not bumping this thread to get more views, honest:sweat: .

laugh, Can you record and get footage? Although I haven't started the next vid yet, all I'm looking for is some peeps who could record some awesome combo's for me. With whichever 2 characters will be in the video. I'll probably take quite a while putting the vid together so there would be bags of time to get stuff done. Also, thanks for offering dude!

Yeah, no problem. I can record stuff. I haven't done anything in the video department in ages so why not do something.
    Rolento in SSF4!

eTokki.com - for the best arcade parts, converters, joysticks and more!
  • CommanderCommander Hey Joined: Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I watched it all and I must say it was both well done and entertaining. Didn't know you could land a shippu on chun li after a throw in the corner either. So I learned something, too. :)
    Always be willing to learn.
    ^^yeah it's pretty pointless though, as i takes off less than a throw. It's cool to use when you want to be flashy though, especially for the KO. Also you'll notice that during the super flash, part of the background breaks. Everything is supposed to freeze during this time but if it happens on the same frame as the super flash it happens anyway. It's the same pricipal as the 'moving during super freeze' glitch you've probably seen before.
    I'm on KYSG's page! the street fighter geek inside me can now die happy, lol.

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kysg/
    (scroll to the bottome of the page)

This is probably only because I include KYSG as an inspiration for the vid but, whatever I don't care. The Mac Daddy of 3s wrote about my vid so I'm happy :) Also jchensor and the ode to the 2 hit combo is mentioned.

From what I can tell it seems positive but maybe he dosn't dig the music? I don't know. Can anyone who speaks japanese better than me translate?
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Good job *glances around*

Maybe Ryu vs Hugo ^_^
  • jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    I'm on KYSG's page! the street fighter geek inside me can now die happy, lol.

Yeah, you and me both, Desk. ^_^ He's mentioned my 2-Hit Video on his site and previously thanked me (and Majestros and Kamui) once IN one of his other combo videos. TO be mentioned by kysg was seriously one of the highlights of my SF career, as sad as that may sound. ^_^

- James

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
    oh man, now I want to be mentioned in a KYSG video :( lol, props man, I'm seriously jealous.

Also, just want to say I totally loved Ode to the 2 hit combo. I've still got the HQ version eating up space on my hard drive, haha.