Project: Dedicated Smash Bros Arcade Stick - Update - Seimitsu LS-64 in action!

Comments

• TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,665
    Moonchilde wrote: »
    I'm actually avoiding the thread because I want to tackle this project in the future as well, and want to look at it with "fresh" ideas in my head rather than possibly being subconsciously inspired by other work.

Haha sure that's fine, at least stick around for tips regarding the wiring process when I start building the stick. You can be as creative as you want with your stick, but having a diagram for the wiring process will help alleviate any future issues you may come across!

I'm hoping to hear some feedback from the others who have been posting in here before, I'm a bit sad that the thread seems to have died so far.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,453
    edited January 2015
    Good to hear that there is (and will be) more progress on this; I'm very curious to see how this is going to go.

A little clarification in response to your response to my suggested button layout:
    My suggested button layout actually requires less hole-drilling, and doesn't require you to add any additional holes between the joystick and the main Vewlix buttons. If you look at my diagrams, you'll see that the main buttons use for Smash (Jump/Attack/Shield/Special) are actually positioned on the OUTER (ie, right-most) 6 buttons on the Vewlix layout. Leaving the inner-2 (the two left-most buttons) available for the directional-Smash attacks. You're also not introducing any new buttons/holes between the joystick and the standard Vewlix layout, so mounting the joystick should not be an issue.

This would also eliminate the 3-4 extra/unused/free buttons that you described in your layout. However, if your goal is to assign functions to these buttons out of necessity rather than opportunity (ie, "I need to have X-function at this additional location" rather than "Oh, here's an unused button, maybe I can use it for something?"), then perhaps my rationale might not apply in your train of thought.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Rhythmic Button Mashing Joined: Posts: 1,181
    Can't be tagged but I subbed this thread. Glad to see that progress will continue, I really want to see that LS-64 put to good use! The more I see this the more I want to try my hand at making some sort of pot mod for a JLF or something.
    I mash buttons and stomp my feet to music

Steam ID/PSN: ArcadeStatic
    edited January 2015
    Good to hear that there is (and will be) more progress on this; I'm very curious to see how this is going to go.

A little clarification in response to your response to my suggested button layout:
    My suggested button layout actually requires less hole-drilling, and doesn't require you to add any additional holes between the joystick and the main Vewlix buttons. If you look at my diagrams, you'll see that the main buttons use for Smash (Jump/Attack/Shield/Special) are actually positioned on the OUTER (ie, right-most) 6 buttons on the Vewlix layout. Leaving the inner-2 (the two left-most buttons) available for the directional-Smash attacks. You're also not introducing any new buttons/holes between the joystick and the standard Vewlix layout, so mounting the joystick should not be an issue.

This would also eliminate the 3-4 extra/unused/free buttons that you described in your layout. However, if your goal is to assign functions to these buttons out of necessity rather than opportunity (ie, "I need to have X-function at this additional location" rather than "Oh, here's an unused button, maybe I can use it for something?"), then perhaps my rationale might not apply in your train of thought.
    Oh I see now, I didn't realize that when I initially viewed your post. That is a very interesting use of the vewlix layout because it makes the button layout simpler at first glance.

I modified the layout slightly to show what I think is most efficient and necessary: an ergonomic "home row" hand position with a dedicated light shield button not compromising that doesn't compromise that "home row" position, as well as 4 dedicated c-stick buttons. Note: The "home row" position I speak of is: thumb - attack; index - shield; middle - jump; ring - special. If the player light shields, they just shift the position of their thumb without disrupting the ergonomic position.
    chqvfLH.png

I'm not going to lie, I actually really like this layout. It only requires 3 extra holes to be drilled which is really really great. I'm going to keep tinkering and experimenting with this layout until I find something I think is the most efficient and comfortable using this kind of layout.

Thoughts that came into my head is shifting the 3 top c-stick buttons to the right so they're literally on top of shield, jump, and special. That way, the player won't need to shift his hand to the left when using the c-stick buttons. I may also switch light shield and the c-stick button (the one above light shield) so that light shield is immediately next to the shield button, and c-stick down is next to attack. That would make the most sense and help with ergonomics when comboing, but that means the player will have to shift his entire hand to the left when light shielding; thus throwing off the "home row" hand position. This would be bad for gameplay purposes because whenever the player light shields (which they will most of the time), their hand position is completely off. That is why I decided to put light shield where it was on my final layout, it just happened to be on one of the extra buttons that was available.
    H0BTeqm.png

Another reason why I would like extra buttons (I was originally against them before, but now I want them) is so people can map duplicate buttons and have enough buttons for 3 taunts. Taunts do have some really practical uses, but their extremely character specific. Some characters may be able to spike with one of their taunts or perform a ledge guard with theirs, I don't want to limit the player from anything that's possible on the gamecube controller. So that's my dilemna, needing 3 buttons for the 3 taunts that can be used in game.

PinoyPryde wrote: »
    Can't be tagged but I subbed this thread. Glad to see that progress will continue, I really want to see that LS-64 put to good use! The more I see this the more I want to try my hand at making some sort of pot mod for a JLF or something.
    I actually thought about the same thing. I thought about using an optical PCB for analog purposes so you wouldn't have to install any extra parts to the joystick besides pots attached to the pcb. I actually had put research into how to make a pcb (it's easier than I though surprisingly) so I'd like to try seeing what I can create once this project is done. I think a JLF pcb replacement would open up the flood gates for people who want an analog joystick.
    Post edited by TheBlackHombre on
  • sharpforksharpfork Joined: Posts: 50
    edited January 2015
    Super cool project!
    We might have a PCB solution for you that would make your fight stick more versatile with multiple output options including direct to wii U via USB. I don't want to spam this thread so I'll start with this: http://kadevice.com/2015/01/first-ever-direct-3rd-party-usb-wii-u-input-february-kickstarter-/
  • FoxyFauxFoxyFaux Joined: Posts: 3
    Hi I've been following this forum since before my computer was busted via handheld & although you already have your heart set on a specific button mapping I just thought i'd drop this in here for discussion as it's something i've considered before:

• sharpforksharpfork Joined: Posts: 50
    This is a super cool project!

I might have the PCB for you at some point. We have an older project that has dealt with many types of digital and analog arcade controls. For our new project we have output to Wii/Wiiu emulating classic controller as well as what I think is a first, direct output to Wii U via USB by emulating the gamecube converter. We also cover a WIDE range of system outputs as well as classic console inputs. We have been chatting about adding direct gamecube out but it isn't high on the feature list.

Here is a bit more info about the project, a video showing the direct Wii U output and our upcoming kickstarter:
    http://kadevice.com/2015/01/first-ever-direct-3rd-party-usb-wii-u-input-february-kickstarter-/

3hYzXE1.jpg

You can also play more traditional ways on the fly:
    KaaL5Ta.jpg

I use that Jasen's Custom Panzer for SFII on PS3, steam on Mac, and all sorts of emus.
    here is a bit more info about the current I/O:
    O37tOnf.jpg
    sharpfork wrote: »

I might have the PCB for you at some point. We have an older project that has dealt with many types of digital and analog arcade controls. For our new project we have output to Wii/Wiiu emulating classic controller as well as what I think is a first, direct output to Wii U via USB by emulating the gamecube converter. We also cover a WIDE range of system outputs as well as classic console inputs. We have been chatting about adding direct gamecube out but it isn't high on the feature list.

Here is a bit more info about the project, a video showing the direct Wii U output and our upcoming kickstarter:
    http://kadevice.com/2015/01/first-ever-direct-3rd-party-usb-wii-u-input-february-kickstarter-/

[/url]

[/url]

I use that Jasen's Custom Panzer for SFII on PS3, steam on Mac, and all sorts of emus.
    [/url]

Yeah I saw this before when you posted it. I have to re-watch the video to know a bit more about it again, but if I can output to a wired connection on Gamecube or Wii (I primarily want to play Melee and Project M), and have my own custom controls; this will work great.

I haven't updated this thread in awhile, but progress hasn't been at a stand still up to this point! I'm going to keep everything as a surprise for now, but be prepared to see a playable stick debut at the end of this month. I'm planning to compete with the smash stick at CEO (entering Melee) this year! This is all thanks to a very notable and well known member on this forum, Gummo.

Stay tuned.
  • ShitakiShitaki Joined: Posts: 18
    edited June 2015

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Yeah I saw this before when you posted it. I have to re-watch the video to know a bit more about it again, but if I can output to a wired connection on Gamecube or Wii (I primarily want to play Melee and Project M), and have my own custom controls; this will work great.

I haven't updated this thread in awhile, but progress hasn't been at a stand still up to this point! I'm going to keep everything as a surprise for now, but be prepared to see a playable stick debut at the end of this month. I'm planning to compete with the smash stick at CEO (entering Melee) this year! This is all thanks to a very notable and well known member on this forum, Gummo.

Stay tuned.

Nice I can't wait to see it! Have you seen this person's custom smash stick?? It was posted on reddit like a month ago.
    http://msalino-hugg.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-better-gamecube-controller-part-3-of.html?m=1
    There's a YouTube video of it in action also!
    Shitaki wrote: »

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Stay tuned.

Nice I can't wait to see it! Have you seen this person's custom smash stick?? It was posted on reddit like a month ago.
    http://msalino-hugg.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-better-gamecube-controller-part-3-of.html?m=1

Yeah I saw it before, it's really interesting and I like that he included the wiring process. I just think his final button layout isn't as ergonomic as mine, including the mounted c-stick.

After CEO, I'm going to post pics and vids of the stick in action; as well as give all the details about the stick and future plans regarding the stick. CEO allowed the new DLC characters to be played in Smash 4 last minute, so I updated my regristration and will be competiting as Ryu in Smash 4 as well. I'm really excited to see the look on peoples' faces!
    edited June 2015

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Stay tuned.

Yeah I saw it before, it's really interesting and I like that he included the wiring process. I just think his final button layout isn't as ergonomic as mine, including the mounted c-stick.

After CEO, I'm going to post pics and vids of the stick in action; as well as give all the details about the stick and future plans regarding the stick. CEO allowed the new DLC characters to be played in Smash 4 last minute, so I updated my regristration and will be competiting as Ryu in Smash 4 as well. I'm really excited to see the look on peoples' faces!

I remember someone asking if using a wii nunchuck would be better or putting the gamecube analog stick with the box instead. Would that be possible?
    Definitely ask if you could be on stream for some matches! I'm looking forward to seeing the stick and see it in action! Could we get a preview of what it looks like?! :smile:

EDIT: I mean like would it have been possible to use the analog stick from the gamecube controller itself instead of having to get the LS-64? I was just curious.
    Post edited by Shitaki on
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,473
    I think that they are the same parts inside
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    EDIT: I mean like would it have been possible to use the analog stick from the gamecube controller itself instead of having to get the LS-64? I was just curious.
    If I used the analog stick from the gamecube controller that would defeat the entire purpose of the arcade stick IMO. I want to use a joystick like a normal arcade stick.
    Definitely ask if you could be on stream for some matches! I'm looking forward to seeing the stick and see it in action! Could we get a preview of what it looks like?! :smile:
    Well the reason why I decided to wait until after CEO to post details/pics was because I'm going to be picking up everything at CEO because there was time constraints to have everything ready in time if it were to be shipped back to me before-hand. I wanted to show you guys something tangible instead of a wall of text, but I might as well spill the beans about everything now.

I actually will have 2 arcade sticks instead of 1. As of now, there are 2 padhack'd gamecube PCB's:
    • 1st padhack using the LS-64 (analog joystick)
    • 2nd padhack has a "shift" button so I can walk/run depending if the button is held, this will allow me to drop it into an existing arcade stick and use a normal JLF.
    1. (First stick) Due to the LS-64 being so big, I plan to order a custom case to be made. I wanted to have a physical stick to still play with first so I plan to use a sturdy tupperware case to house everything (buttons and joystick) until a case is built.
    2. (Second stick) I have been playing on this setup already with an existing stick I had (qanba q1) on Dolphin netplay (PC), so I requested for this setup to be padhacked as well. I plan to drop this PCB into my qanba q1 and will have a pretty much complete setup with this since it'll be using a simplified setup (no duplicate buttons). I still have extra buttons wired on this padhack so both sticks can match button layouts in the future when I get a new plexi or case for this padhack in the future.

The second stick came into fruition when I got the idea about a month ago. Since I was already using this setup on PC, I wanted something I could also use on a gamecube. Plus, I also had a goal of having something that other people could copy if they wanted to play Smash on a stick; so having a non-analog smash stick works great as well.

So yeah, that's the current news; I'm very excited to finally get my hands on the stick and start using it. I wonder how much of a transition I will have to make to get used to the 1st stick so I have the option to play on the 2nd one if I can't get used to it in time. It's ironic that I'm much better of a player on an arcade stick (already) compared to a controller just because I've been playing on the computer all this time. However, the sticks aren't close to being finished. The wiring process will be complete, but I plan to fully trick out the first stick with a custom case (I was possibly thinking B15) and possible do the same with the second. So this thread will still be updated in the future as the progress continues!

And yeah, I plan to ask if I can get stream time. I will be competing in both Melee and Smash 4, so I don't see why I couldn't. Plus, I'll be playing Ryu so I'm sure that will be pretty hype to watch. I don't have a Wii U but I've been practicing Ryu at a local video game bar we have in my home-town whenever possible. I can't wait to try his cr.LK, cr.LK xx DP combo on stick, it's gonna feel so great!
    edited June 2015
    Wow sounds awesome! I can't wait to see them in action this weekend! I'm curious on your future plans for the sticks. I think it would be awesome to have a smash stick. Yeah Ryu seems pretty nice even though the physics and gravity is not my personal liking. Anyways looking forward to your update soon!
    Hey! I didn't get to catch CEO were you on stream?? How was the stick?
    I got home from CEO not too long ago and I'm dead tired, I'm going to post a lot of info/pics on the stick as well as the other one that was wired tomorrow after work. However, I uploaded a video of the stick in action to satisfy anyone's curiosity until then.

edited June 2015
    I got home from CEO not too long ago and I'm dead tired, I'm going to post a lot of info/pics on the stick as well as the other one that was wired tomorrow after work. However, I uploaded a video of the stick in action to satisfy anyone's curiosity until then.

Wow nice! So is this the 2nd stick or first stick? Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see all the pictures and info about it.
  • NARoadsterNARoadster Joined: Posts: 2
    I was googling around see if anyone somehow made a fightstick for smash and stumbled upon this. All i gotta say that actually looks sick. cant wait for more update. looks good. keep up the good work.

Wow nice! So is this the 2nd stick or first stick? Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see all the pictures and info about it.

This is the second stick, the one without the analog joystick. I have a shift button that allows me to switch between run/walk depending if the button is held. This stick has a jlf joystick.

The first stick, the one with the analog joystick (LS-64) is wired and ready to go; it just currently lacks a case to house everything in. The joystick is way too big for any traditional case so I plan to commission someone to build a case that will fit this giant joystick.

Anyway, I went out to play smash 4 Ryu yesterday after work so I didn't get to update the thread. I'll be posting everything with the current news as of tonight... I promise! Expect lots of pictures but no videos because I actually don't even own a gamecube, wii, or wii u if you can believe it. I go to a local video game bar every Wednesday to play fighting games so I can get videos of the stick in action there if you guys would like.

This is the second stick, the one without the analog joystick. I have a shift button that allows me to switch between run/walk depending if the button is held. This stick has a jlf joystick.

The first stick, the one with the analog joystick (LS-64) is wired and ready to go; it just currently lacks a case to house everything in. The joystick is way too big for any traditional case so I plan to commission someone to build a case that will fit this giant joystick.

Anyway, I went out to play smash 4 Ryu yesterday after work so I didn't get to update the thread. I'll be posting everything with the current news as of tonight... I promise! Expect lots of pictures but no videos because I actually don't even own a gamecube, wii, or wii u if you can believe it. I go to a local video game bar every Wednesday to play fighting games so I can get videos of the stick in action there if you guys would like.

Oh gotcha. Wow really? That would be nice still to get some videos with the stick! Wow I wonder how you practice tech skill in melee and pm then? Do you own a pc good enough to run dolphin? Anyways looking forward to the pictures!
    edited July 2015
    UPDATE!
    First I would like to give credit to Gummo for doing the wiring job, if it wasn't for him; I'm sure none of this would have been possible. The wiring job seemed really difficult and I got lost as he was explaining things to me in person at CEO about the process it took.

All pictures are contained within spoilers.

Non-Analog Arcade Stick
    This was the one I competed with at CEO. The gamecube padhack is housed in a qanba q1 I had already owned and I upgraded the parts to sanwa at CEO. The analog version currently lacks a case because the LS-64 is too big to mount in any existing case I have, I have to get a case custom made for it.

Top view - shows button layout. Ignore the button names on the default qanba artwork.
    4 orange buttons = A, L, Y, B (from bottom to right)
    4 yellow buttons = c-stick buttons (up, down, left, and right)
    green button = "shift" button. (See video below)
    bzB9ddi.jpg
    3gGxSqI.jpg

Demonstration was done via Dolphin emulator because I don't own any nintendo consoles, however the shift button on the arcade stick works the same way on console as it does in Dolphin emulator. Whenever the shift button (green button) is NOT pressed, the joystick is 100% engaged (acting as the left analog stick). Whenever the shift button IS pressed, the joystick is x% engaged. I can I open the stick and adjust the percentage (in every direction) if I'd like but I currently have it set to 40%. I plan to raise it but need to do more testing to find what will be appropriate. The shift button is what allows me to walk/run, and do tilt attacks so it was an integral part of this build since this stick lacks an analog joystick.

If you look to the left of the stick (in the video), you can see a gamecube-PC adapter, this is needed so I can use the stick on the computer since the stick now lacks a usb cable and now natively uses a gamecube cable (since there's a gamecube PCB inside it).
    wBPz0m7.jpg

Due to the gamecube PCB inside, Gummo had to dremel off a piece of the interior structure of the case so the case could close. The piece that was removed served no vital part of the structure of the case, it was just a piece that allowed the qanba q1 to be mounted with table clamps. We covered the hole with black electric tape.
    T5SIg9S.jpg
    z8A5vA5.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

Now for the part that every one wants to see... the guts!
    tKTY6un.jpg

I highlighted 3 unique areas of the insides (see spoiler below).
    Red = screw terminals which is where the buttons and everything are connected to. This allows solderless removal/addition of buttons since currently not every button is mapped to the stick because I currently lack enough buttons on the stick.
    Green = Trigger potentiometer. This is a slider that is normally attached to the gamecube controller's trigger, sliding this allows me to set whatever % I'd like for the light shield button. Currently the stick lacks a light shield button and only has a hard shield button. This will change once I get a new case/plexi with enough button holes.
    Blue = 4 potentiometers that allow me to adjust how much % the "shift" button will change the joystick to. Each pot controls one direction of the joystick. You just take a small flathead screw driver and turn them, it's pretty simple. However, they will turn forever so I hooked up the arcade stick to a computer to know how much % I'm getting when I'm turning them.

I also included close-up's of the pcb.
    1Qxuoa3.jpg
    hUY3RnT.jpg
    qsi8Ifz.jpg

Analog Arcade Stick
    This is the stick that will use the LS-64. Because this one lacks a case, I can only show you the wired PCB, buttons, and joystick (LS-64).
    P1NLQFl.jpg
    IryW0pG.jpg
    tsYeHvf.jpg

I'm very excited to get this one ready to play. I'm going to have a hard time mounting the joystick and I'm going to PM Per from Akishop to see if he has any documents about the LS-64 that would have more the dimensions on the stick, or possibly mounting instructions. If anything, I could just tupperware it or use a wooden box.

I plan to make a video showcasing how I use the stick to play the game as well as perform various tech skill. I designed the button layout to accomodate all the game's advanced techniques in a ergonomic hand position. I'm planning to change position of the green button and the down c-stick button (bottom button that was added) to make the layout a little bit more simple. The button layout wasn't originally designed with the shift button in mind, so I think switching the location of the shift button will allow a more ergonomic feel. Plus, it would allow you access to all the buttons still if you just hit shift with your thumb so you can continue playing with your other fingers.

Thats all for now, expect some videos of the stick in action within the week. I'm open to all questions and requests regarding video making.

Reposting video of the stick in action at CEO:
  • NARoadsterNARoadster Joined: Posts: 2
    did you use a pcb circuit board to connect the terminals (speaking of the analog one)? looking at your analog one. where the terminals are to the right where all the wires are connected to what are those? interested to see this progress of the analog one.
    I like how you're approaching both of the sticks. The digital one by using a third party controller PCB and the analog by using a first party nintendo PCB. Is the third party PCB a Gamestop gamecube controller?
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    Yeah its the gamestop gc pad. That didn't make a difference I could of used first or third party for both setups.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    edited July 2015
    Awesome pictures and videos of the sticks! Any updates on the sticks or videos to show?
    Gummo, I'd also like to padhack some gamecube arcade sticks but i know very little about wiring, I was wondering if there was a guide out there for beginners like me. Also are any of you guys going to EVO?
    edited July 2015
    Awesome pictures and videos of the sticks! Any updates on the sticks or videos to show?
    Soon, I've really been meaning to get footage of me using it to show you guys but I just end up playing instead of video recording. I was planning to order 2 tripods so I could mount 2 cameras (one for my hands, one for the screen) to show everything but I think I'll just have someone record over my shoulder or something.

The first video I want to make is me showing off how my button layout works in game, show I actually press inputs, and showcase how easy execution becomes on the stick compared to gc controller (granted you still have to know how to use an arcade stick otherwise the stick is harder to use).

Techniques and characters I was thinking of demonstrating were:
    Wavedash - melee
    Wavedash OoS - melee
    Wavedash off stage, fast fall, catch ledge - melee
    SHFFL - melee
    Jump canceled grab - melee
    Up tilt using shift button - melee
    Pivot smash - melee

DACUS - brawl shiek
    Waveshine - melee fox
    Double jump cancel (djc) setups - project m lucas
    Advanced + extended desync setups - melee ice climbers
    SH double fair - melee marth
    SHFF laser - falco
    Street fighter inputs - smash 4 ryu

And possibly: moonwalking with captain Falcon and float cancel combos with peach if I can learn them in time.

Currently the only thing that isn't possible to perform on the finished smash stick is shield drop. It technically is but I have to set my "shift down" value to 41-43% which means I would just drop from a platform if I ever tried to down tilt since that is enough % to cross the threshold to consider the character dropping through a platform. I set it below 41% so I can down tilt without the risk of dropping through platforms.
    Shield dropping works by the way smash players normally do it, read my next post down for more info.

I'll try to get a video of me showing everything this week, however until that time, is there any requests you guys have that you'd like for me to showcase in the upcoming video? Maybe specific character combo, technique, or something along those lines.
    Hmm I think you forgot multiple shining, and maybe do some more brawl specific tech in PM like RAR. If I can think some more specific tech, then I'll let you know. Are you able to do some netplay? Or have a human opponent?
    edited July 2015
    Hmm I think you forgot multiple shining, and maybe do some more brawl specific tech in PM like RAR. If I can think some more specific tech, then I'll let you know. Are you able to do some netplay? Or have a human opponent?
    Yeah multi-shining is something planned as well, I forgot to write it down.
    That's a good idea as well, I'm primarily a PM player so I can definately showcase brawl mechanics; however imo RAR is a really really simply concept but I'll still cover it. And yes I have the ability to netplay, that's where I get most of my practice in actually and I'd love to play against you sometime if you'd like! I also have human opponents I can play with however I just have to plan everything to get some friends together for a session, it was easier to do some random meet-ups in any game when I lived in Olando. Typically when I go to Orlando I stay there for the weekend but with plans or work getting in the way, I won't be able to stay up there for another weekend in about 3 weeks :( However, I've been wanting to take Melee more seriously so I plan to play against the Orlando players whenever I go up there next.

EDIT: I'm planning on recording the video Thursday night since I'm free then. Also I'm open to anything you'd like to list for me to showcase/perform for the video, I'm open to any smash game. Keep in mind, I don't own a wii u so I'll have to go to my friend's place to record anything regarding smash 4. Currently, I barely play that game so I'm probably just gonna perform some Ryu combos.

EDIT 2: Want to clarify, shield dropping IS possible without needing to set the shift down button to 41%!! I can shield drop how most people do, by tilting the joystick all the way to the edge of the gate and then sliding the joystick to the bottom diagonal. Of course, I use the shift button to do this but it makes me very happy that I can do this. As of today, I don't think there is any technique that you can do on a controller than you can't do on this!
  • ashran_yeashran_ye Joined: Posts: 12
    Moonchilde wrote: »
    I'm actually avoiding the thread because I want to tackle this project in the future as well, and want to look at it with "fresh" ideas in my head rather than possibly being subconsciously inspired by other work.

Haha sure that's fine, at least stick around for tips regarding the wiring process when I start building the stick. You can be as creative as you want with your stick, but having a diagram for the wiring process will help alleviate any future issues you may come across!

I'm hoping to hear some feedback from the others who have been posting in here before, I'm a bit sad that the thread seems to have died so far.

Hi, i am also developing a special stick for smash bross. i will release when testing be done. I did it for classic controler, pro controler and gamecube controller.
    Great job dude
    That's a good idea as well, I'm primarily a PM player so I can definately showcase brawl mechanics; however imo RAR is a really really simply concept but I'll still cover it. And yes I have the ability to netplay, that's where I get most of my practice in actually and I'd love to play against you sometime if you'd like! I also have human opponents I can play with however I just have to plan everything to get some friends together for a session, it was easier to do some random meet-ups in any game when I lived in Olando. Typically when I go to Orlando I stay there for the weekend but with plans or work getting in the way, I won't be able to stay up there for another weekend in about 3 weeks :( However, I've been wanting to take Melee more seriously so I plan to play against the Orlando players whenever I go up there next.

EDIT: I'm planning on recording the video Thursday night since I'm free then. Also I'm open to anything you'd like to list for me to showcase/perform for the video, I'm open to any smash game. Keep in mind, I don't own a wii u so I'll have to go to my friend's place to record anything regarding smash 4. Currently, I barely play that game so I'm probably just gonna perform some Ryu combos.

EDIT 2: Want to clarify, shield dropping IS possible without needing to set the shift down button to 41%!! I can shield drop how most people do, by tilting the joystick all the way to the edge of the gate and then sliding the joystick to the bottom diagonal. Of course, I use the shift button to do this but it makes me very happy that I can do this. As of today, I don't think there is any technique that you can do on a controller than you can't do on this!

Yeah I'm primarily a PM player so I'm looking forward to it! I'll take you up on that offer sometime! I only played netplay a couple of times back when I had a terrible 2 port mayflash adapter lol. Is there a better place to contact you at? I can't wait to see your videos! I want to know what are your plans for the sticks also! Update us soon!
    edited July 2015

Yeah I'm primarily a PM player so I'm looking forward to it! I'll take you up on that offer sometime! I only played netplay a couple of times back when I had a terrible 2 port mayflash adapter lol. Is there a better place to contact you at? I can't wait to see your videos! I want to know what are your plans for the sticks also! Update us soon!

I didn't record anything yet since I spent most of Thursday night practicing execution for different characters. I'm pretty consistent with lots of Fox's double shine shenanigans and OoS shenanigans now. I chose not to record anything yet because some issues came up with the stick that I'm really dissapointed about hardware wise, but I need to do testing on an actual console (and not emulated on PC) to see if these same issues exist on console. None of the joysticks (LS or C-stick) give a 100% analog value which may have a bigger negative effect on gameplay than I originally thought. The actual values the sticks are giving aren't an issue gameplay wise (in the traditional sense) because I can still do smash attacks and smash DI. I did lots of tests before the stick was even wired to confirm these thoughts but I've recently discovered some things that don't work properly.

I need to see if the c-stick buttons still allow me to jump OoS on a gamecube because currently they do not on PC (I can calibrate the distance of my joysticks to solve this but I need to know if this works natively on gamecube or not). Also since the joystick (that's acting as the LS) is digital, I can't manually angle my tilts to a specific degree so the game is registering my angled smash attacks as down or forward smash attacks. I actually noticed that issue the same day I got the stick because this is such an integral part of my punish game with my character in PM. Not being able to angle my stick exacly how I'd like also screws me up when I'm trying to wavedash off stage to grab the ledge, because the game will give me a back input instead of a downback input sometimes so I just air dodge off stage to my death. This could also potentially be a hardware issue on the stick itself since I never had these issue when I used to play with the stock qanba q1 joystick (PC emulated). Once the stick was upgraded to a sanwa JLF is when I had these issues, I've even went back and tried playing with another stick via PC that has sanwa and the same issues occur. I think I may have to end up re-using my old q1 joystick which would suck.

Sorry for not having a video, I plan to make a really in-depth analysis of how I use and play with the stick but I need time to sit down in front of a gamecube console and I don't own one. I'm always busy with work so I don't have time to go somewhere to play on a console unless it's the weekend, and my weekends have all been busy lately as well :( I plan to update the thread really really soon but I just need access to a gamecube for now. I'll try to go to a friend's place sometime this week to test more and possibly record. I will record 100% by next week though because I plan to go to Orlando for the weekend to play Melee specifically.

I feel like the analog version of the smash stick will be the best version to play on since all of these issues will be corrected and I'll have a much more efficient button layout. I realized how integral having a second jump button (in an ergonomic spot) is to doing Fox/Falco's doubleshine stuff so I would like to hurry and get started on the case for the analog stick. I'm also considering using 24mm buttons instead of 30mm buttons for the analog stick since I will have 12 buttons drilled instead of 8, it may end up feeling more ergonomic since the hand won't have to actually move much -- just the fingers. I'll have to experiment and find out.

Thanks for being so patient. Once I make the video, I plan to send a tip about the stick or srk, eventhubs, and smashboards since I'm sure people would be interested in seeing how it works and how I play with it.

EDIT: and this is the best place to contact me. I check the SRK forums multiple times per day, if you ever want to privately message me; feel free to PM me.

EDIT2: Decided to see what I could do by recording my PC and hooking up my phone as webcam and this is what I got:

I think after I do more testing on an actual gamecube, I'm going to go to my friend's place and record everything on his gaming PC since his will run every thing 60fps. I was shocked I was able to get 45fps. This, IMO, is a more of a proof of concept to see if I could do recording like this. I'll use an actual webcame for recording the controller since you can see that the phone camera ended up crashing shortly after recording.
    Good stuff! Definitely the layout of a fight stick is so much easier to do tech skill than a gamecube controller. I hope you can show off some PM at your friends place too since I'm primarily a PM player. Was the input lag on your PC bad? Or not too noticeable?
    Good stuff! Definitely the layout of a fight stick is so much easier to do tech skill than a gamecube controller. I hope you can show off some PM at your friends place too since I'm primarily a PM player. Was the input lag on your PC bad? Or not too noticeable?

Sure I can! There's no input lag, I play on an asus monitor and when I'm not streaming, I get 60 fps. However I did notice a timing difference between emulator and gamecube sadly, but it's negligible.

Sure I can! There's no input lag, I play on an asus monitor and when I'm not streaming, I get 60 fps. However I did notice a timing difference between emulator and gamecube sadly, but it's negligible.

That's good and do you have a definite button layout yet? I think I found a site that has analogue sticks so if I get one made. I would like to see a lot of button layouts to see what works best
    edited August 2015
    Would you know if this joystick might be compatible with padhacks? na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/joysticks/50-2876-00
    @TheBlackHombre
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,473
    Would you know if this joystick might be compatible with padhacks? na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/joysticks/50-2876-00
    @TheBlackHombre
    If you are trying to replace one of the Analog nubs instead of wiring a traditional joystick to the d-pad.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    The video I talked about making was planned to be finished and uploaded by tonight. Currently all the video footage is completed but'm currently waiting on my friend to finish video editing. I wanted to go over to his house and finish it there in person, but I never heard back from him. I'll try to see if I can get every thing edited and uploaded by tomorrow night for you guys.

CLYWCVBUsAAdbZp.jpg

Thanks every one for your patience. I'll talk about the details of videos I have planned. I'm going to film a small video series demoing the smash stick. The first video goes over my button layout and smash 4 gameplay. My second video will be an advanced tech skill showcase in Melee and PM. My third video will be really in-depth coverage of the stick, button layout, showing the insides as well as how every thing works. My fourth video (might include this in the third) will be my future plans for the JLF smash stick as well as the LS-64 smash stick. All the videos will be a pretty nice quality and should have decent production quality. I plan to have 2 overlays on-screen that show my inputs for an arcade stick layout and gamecube controller layout (these overlays will be absent from the first video since we're capturing from a Wii U and can't have our inputs be read on-screen).

I'm really hoping that these videos are seen by a lot of people, I know there is a lot of interest for people who want to play smash on stick and I'm hoping these videos can serve as a big resource for them. My friend who helped me with the video joked with me, saying imagine if this starts a trend of people playing smash on arcade sticks and it became the standard way to play smash. I also talked to one of the writing staff from SmashBoards and he agreed to feature the video on the front page once I release it. I'm hoping that will help with the exposure and hopefully other people help spread the word as well.

I'm going to go to sleep now but I'll have an update for every one tomorrow night after work.
    edited August 2015
    Darksakul wrote: »
    @TheBlackHombre
    If you are trying to replace one of the Analog nubs instead of wiring a traditional joystick to the d-pad.

EDIT: Misread it
    Oh is the video delayed??
    edited August 2015
    Oh is the video delayed??
    Yeah sorry, my friend took longer than expected. Video just got uploaded!

edit:
    Updated the OP as well.
  • B.W.B.W. Joined: Posts: 9
    It's pretty cool someone is tackling this project. I've been talking about the benefits of playing Smash on an arcade stick for years and I've been using the GCC for competitive play for 11 years.

I had a bunch of layouts with an analog stick in mind but my computer with them died. I'm in the middle of recreating the old and new ones. I can post them if anyone is interested.

Also nice work with the shift button work around, I didn't even know dolphin had something like that. I started fiddling with Hitbox layouts for Smash as well with a button to simulate left shift. Things are a little weirder for the Hitbox though.
    I'm currently working on the next video. The video was delayed for a good period of time because I was really persistent on trying to get my inputs be displayed on the screen, however Windows 10 doesn't seem to be compatible with the needed programs. I'm hoping to have the video done by next week or the week after that. The goal of the next video is to present an insane amount of content and information in a really concise manner. The visuals and production quality are a lot better than the last video, so I'm really excited to hear what every one has to say once it's released.

The primary focus of the next video is Melee, but I do touch on Project M. There isn't going to be much talking in the video, just a ton of concise and cleanly edited information/video. I plan to demonstrate the pros/cons of the stick vs gc controller (which includes general arcade stick vs controller benefits such as pianoing, sliding, double tapping, and plinking which all benefit Melee), and demonstrate a wide array of tech skill scenarios such as the Melee mechanics and character specific techniques and combos.
    B.W. wrote: »
    It's pretty cool someone is tackling this project. I've been talking about the benefits of playing Smash on an arcade stick for years and I've been using the GCC for competitive play for 11 years.

I had a bunch of layouts with an analog stick in mind but my computer with them died. I'm in the middle of recreating the old and new ones. I can post them if anyone is interested.

Also nice work with the shift button work around, I didn't even know dolphin had something like that. I started fiddling with Hitbox layouts for Smash as well with a button to simulate left shift. Things are a little weirder for the Hitbox though.
    I'd love to see some of your layouts! I've also been tinkering with mine as well and believe I found a finalized button layout. I've already tested it already and believe it is optimal for arcade stick, hitbox, and keyboard players. I just need to test it with some Sanwa 24mm to see exactly how it feels with smaller buttons -- which is something I'd want due to the added buttons. I'll post up a picture of the layout later today.
    Any update on the sticks? Or any videos in the works?
    Any update on the sticks? Or any videos in the works?
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I moved to a new city a month ago so I haven't made any new videos.

I had some footage recorded months ago, but I'd want to re-record all of it since my execution has gotten way better since then. I could do something quick with a tripod and just record the screen itself (not using a capture card) as well as my hands so I wouldn't have to do any video editing. The production quality would be meh but it would be more content for you guys. I'm living in Orlando now, so I'm in a big fgc area; I could record as much footage as I'd like, whenever I'd like.

The only updates I have for you guys is that I'm going to just make a heavy duty tupper ware case for my analog smash stick since I really want to use it; and I could test different button layouts on a case that isn't permanent. I never heard back from the original case builder that I wanted, so I will get in contact with a new case builder once my button layout is finalized.
  • MentalMantelMentalMantel Joined: Posts: 31
    edited December 2015
    Hey,
    I shot you a Twitter message as well (thanks for the reply and can't wait for the video you said you have coming). I made a smash stick (shameless plug https://youtu.be/JH5DYYVtpMs), but I had to make my own analog joystick (finding the right throw for a slide potentiometer was a pain. The resistor in parallel to match what the GC controller expected was pretty easy).

I kept the "C" stick on mine so I couldn't just slap it in a regular case. I currently have it in tupperware (like you mention), but I'm thinking of using pourable epoxy to make the top portion of the case. I'm slightly worried about it being sturdy enough.

Does anyone have any experience? Or do you suggest I just pay for a laser cut plexi?

My execution has gone to hell since I have started using the stick...but I just need to keep practicing
  • manbehindthewiresmanbehindthewires Consider yourself lightly, consider the world deeply Joined: Posts: 947
    Nice! That joystick is loose as hell, but it still looks really playable :)
    Love the approach to prototyping it as well. Personally, I'd rather use cardinal buttons for the C-Stick inputs, but it's all preference.

Few questions:

Did you ever find out where that joystick came from? Does the part itself have any part/manufacturer numbers on it?

Is there a way of tweaking the analogue to reduce how far you have to throw it?
    SFV: Chun Li [CFN: thewires / manbehindthewires]
    Third Strike: Alex/Ibuki [Fightcade: MBTW]
    Here to learn.
    edited December 2015
    It came out of a type of joystick called a Raider Pro (this).

I'm playing with the joystick a lot. First thing I'm going to try to do is replace the springs. Hoping it will help with the horrid deflection I have. I'm also going to be using this one as a base to design something slightly better as this right now is hard to mount and some of the pieces are screwed together instead of being one piece which means that if the screw gets loose then odd things can happen (like introducing an odd drift effect).

I'll either CAD the design and send it out to get a prototype or I'll use some modelling clay and pourable plastic.

I'm just getting into fighting games and smash was what got my feet wet so I've yet to use a "real" joystick, so I don't know how they feel, but I've got other projects planned where I'll be getting a more standard joystick that I can compare it with and will be using what I learn to adjust the analog on this one
    Post edited by MentalMantel on
    Hey mental sorry for no video, I was going to make it today since I wasn't working today but I got invited by some old friends I haven't seen in a year to drink and play pool so I did that instead. My video is just going to be a response to yours giving my feedback in regards to improvements you can do to your stick to make it more ergonomic and effective for playing. I also plan to give you some tips for making the transition to arcade stick effectively (especially since we're the only people playing smash like this) and show more of how my stick actually works.

I have all my bullet points made for me to read off of in the video so expect a video tomorrow if I have time.

Also I'm going to make a new video (unrelated to the one above) that is going to showcase how I play, and perform tech skill. Expect the production quality to be even better than my first one, I have a good friend of mine helping me make it. It's someone else than the first video, since I live in a new city quite awhile away from the old city I was in.

I know I said this in the past but I'm hoping to actually start delivering regular content about the stick. I literally moved 3 times since my last video was made but now I'm relocated permanently for work so time shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    edited December 2015
    No worries.
    I'm practicing inputs and just grinding right now, while plotting my improvements. I'm trying to get an HDMI capture card but until I do, I don't want to put out (essentially) crap quality on Smash.
    I could mod my 3DS to take a GC input (as I have a 3DS with capture card already)...but I've got other stuff to work on (not to mention retraining my brain to use the stick)

Tips for improvement are always welcome ;-)
    Post edited by MentalMantel on