Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax General Discussion (Out NOW in the US!!)

Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™Joined: Posts: 27,085
edited October 2014 in Persona 4 Arena
P4ULogoFinal.png

Now that the game is finally out for everyone, this forum needs a revival. Let this post be the Recarm we so desperately need.

This thread is for general talk about the game, player finding, combo discussion, etc. Any simple questions and the like go in the Q/A thread.

E3 2014 Trailer

New Character Trailers
Ken Trailer

Junpei Trailer

Yukari Trailer

Sho Trailer

Adachi and Marie Trailer

Margaret Trailer

Mechanics Changes
Regarding the auto-combos, this is the first game in comparison to other games that have used this auto-combo system (Under Night In-Birth, JoJo's All-Star Battle, etc), where the second hit can be used as a standalone command normal/unique move for all characters with the use of 6A. For some characters, it is also more easier to cancel either the second or third move of the auto-combo into a desired move of one's choice since the previous game.

The original Short-Hop mechanic can now be cancelled into from an attack with less startup, despite the fact that it ruins any implied overhead setups as it won't cause any jumping normal done from a cancelled short-hop to hit overhead, this new tactic is to mainly counter possible throw reversals. Evasive Actions can now be Guard Cancel Rolled into at the cost of 50 SP. Recovering from certain attacks or getting counter hit normally will cause a counter hit state as usual, only some moves now provide a window of a free Fatal Counter hit, which makes the aforementioned moves more risky than before.

A new system implemented is known as the "S Hold System" (coined by the recent trailer primers as the "Suplex Hold System") which is a special attack which changes its properties the longer the A button is held down, physically shown as a meter on the screen (Skill Boost, SP Skill, Awakening SP Skill then Instant Kill in that order of held-down duration). Aimed at beginners, this may not be as practical for battle, but it still has certain useful applications regardless.

Enhanced Super Moves called Skill Boost Skill Attacks allows characters to perform a much powerful SP Skill Attack by spending 75 SP instead of the usual 50 SP and using two associated buttons instead of one (much like how one does a normal Skill Boost, and is also reminiscent of Enhanced versions of Supers from other fighters).

Another major addition to the game is the addition of Shadow-type characters, which work similar to the EX/Ura-type versions of characters in other fighting games. With the exception of Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys with Asterius, two versions of Sho Minazuki, Tohru Adachi, and Marie, there exists an alternate mode based on the Shadows of the Persona series. Shadow-Type characters are more geared towards the offense as they build more SP as they attack and their SP is carried over between rounds. Shadow-type characters utilize the character's original auto/dial combo from Persona 4 Arena and can use Awakening SP Skills with 100 SP. Shadow-Types are also altered on their stats in comparison to their normal counterparts, as they all have 2000 plus HP and deal 20% less damage overall.

In addition, they gain access to a mode known as Shadow Rampage (Shadou Bousou), which gives them unlimited SP for a limited amount of time and is activated by what would be the Burst command while the character is at 100 SP. In compensation for these additions, they lose major defensive techniques, mainly Bursts and Awakenings despite their larger HP amount. Thus, this makes the Shadow Type a high-risk, high-reward playstyle with an emphasis on skill usage.

Also, it should be noted that in the case of Labrys and her Shadow mode(s), there is indeed both a Shadow Mode Labrys (with Ariadne) and the original Shadow Labrys (with Asterius).

Other changes include lowering the overall damage of all characters in comparison to the last game, and as well as the new HUD somewhat reflecting Persona 3 more (turquoise-like blue) as opposed to Persona 4 (gold and yellow). Also, for the first time in a while, Ultimax like certain fighting games also enables an extra Super Meter bonus on first attack landed after the round's start, where an additional 10 SP bonus is given (even for both characters if they managed to both counter hit themselves and land the first attack at the same time).

Also, exclamation marks not only appear above the characters' heads as usual in recent games for any incorrectly blocked moves, but also during a Negative Warning.

DLC Info: http://www.atlus.com/p4au/dlc/
Post edited by Phantom Angel on
"Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective

Comments

• Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,085
    edited October 2014
    Player List

PS3
    Phantom Angel (PhantomSRK)
    Hawkingbird (Hawkingbird)
    The Martian (Shadaloo_Martian)
    Celerity (?)
    LivewireX (L-W-X)
    KennedyKills (izerosleepi)
    Effenhoog (Effenhoog)

Xbox 360

Designated SRK Lobby: 06 Gekkoukan High School, IV Emperor
    Post edited by Phantom Angel on

*Reserved*

• drwill439drwill439 I'll never understand. Joined: Posts: 2,953
    I'll probably get it on 360 tomorrow, though I may not keep it for long. I don't like the auto combo system very much, it makes the people I play with turn the game into a standard Naruto fighter.
    Steam: [PCFL]Dr. Will Xbox 360/One: DrW1ll439
    PSN: drwill439 CFN:WKA439 (PS4) or drwill439(Steam)
    drwill439 wrote: »
    I'll probably get it on 360 tomorrow, though I may not keep it for long. I don't like the auto combo system very much, it makes the people I play with turn the game into a standard Naruto fighter.

I didn't like it at first either. Eventually, I understood that the auto combos, while really good for some characters, have some pretty serious drawbacks. If you want to actually deal damage, you stay away from them.

I didn't like it at first either. Eventually, I understood that the auto combos, while really good for some characters, have some pretty serious drawbacks. If you want to actually deal damage, you stay away from them.

Have they tweaked it any in Ultimax?

I want to say no, but I really don't know enough about the new mechanics to do so.

• metrokardmetrokard Joined: Posts: 1,298
    is it true you don't need the game to download the dlc characters?
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,686
    metrokard wrote: »
    is it true you don't need the game to download the dlc characters?

Yes it's true
  • metrokardmetrokard Joined: Posts: 1,298
    edited September 2014
    ok i was checking on psn and i cant find them anywhere where do i go? edit oh wait nevermind i found them
  • The MartianThe Martian G.O.L.D. Joined: Posts: 12,128
    How do I unlock these three characters?
    "You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,705
    I'm going to have to wait until Thursday to get my pre-order, but I'm still so hyped. There's like 8 people I want to use.
    How do I unlock these three characters?

My game just got an update, so I guess they're available now.

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,968
    You better git gud PA. I should get my copy from Amazon next week and Kanji will go after that ass.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    Does everyone here have this game on PS3?
    They're actually not there yet... The game keeps saying they're available, but I don't see shit. I guess PSN didn't update yet.
    You better git gud PA. I should get my copy from Amazon next week and Kanji will go after that ass.

I'll be ready lol.
    Does everyone here have this game on PS3?

Pretty much, so far.

Why are they even locked in the first place. Are they DLC or do you unlock them in game?
    Why are they even locked in the first place. Are they DLC or do you unlock them in game?

DLC. They're free for the first week... Marie and Adachi, that is. Margaret is paid and will be available next week.

Yeah, so pretty much even if you don't have the game, just download Adachi and Marie this week for free from the store so you can use them when you get the game. Margaret's $5 next week, I believe. And most people who play airdashers, play them on PS3 in general. Actually...that seems true of Tekken, Soul Calibur, and KOFXIII as well, with NRS and DOA going both ways. I daresay (at the risk of being off topic) most of the primarily 360 player-base games are Capcom ones.
    Don't forget to post your PSN/XBL accounts(depending on what console you play the game on, of course) so I can add them to the OP.

I don't even see an option to download them. I wanna try all the characters so I can decide on a main. :(

Fuck it, Yukari and Sho will suffice for now. I actually found myself pleasantly surprised by how fun Junpei is, too.

Rise is weird as fuck.
    I don't even see an option to download them. I wanna try all the characters so I can decide on a main. :(

Fuck it, Yukari and Sho will suffice for now. I actually found myself pleasantly surprised by how fun Junpei is, too.

Rise is weird as fuck.

They're not there yet lol. The PSN store updates around 7pm EST.

• KyehlarKyehlar Purrrfect Joined: Posts: 122
    I was able to DL Marie with no problem, but Adachi isn't available yet. This was at around 2:30PST however. Could have updated since then.
    "Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never."
    SFV - Cammy/Ken/Juri USF4 - Cammy/Decapre/Sakura MKX - Mileena
    DOA5U - Ayane/Helena/Christie KOFXIII - King/Yuri/Mai/Kim SCV - Mitsurugi Style
    UMvC3 - Felicia/Tron/Jill/Tricia/Dante GG - Baiken/Millia/Jam Persona 4 - Marie/Yukiko/Margaret
    Skullgirls - Eliza/Cerebella/Valentine Divekick - Kung Pao Killer Instinct - Orchid
    twitch.tv/kyehlar Avatar Image by svoidist
    We downloaded them both without issue... Try checking again.

Is it just me or does that Touhu guy (however you spell it) feel low tier.

I can also tell Rise is gonna be suuuuuuuuper annoying once people learn how to use her.

I can also tell Rise is gonna be suuuuuuuuper annoying once people learn how to use her.

Adachi? Idk yet...

Rise can rock my mic. Annoying ass...

Marie seems interesting though...what exactly is up with her weather shit?
    How Mitsuru this time around? She still top?
    Marie seems interesting though...what exactly is up with her weather shit?

I'm not sure how it works in game yet... You should play P4G.
    How Mitsuru this time around? She still top?

No idea lol. I've been too busy doing trials with Akihiko and the new characters. Akihiko's damage output is ridiculous.

I know certain weather has like certain effects apparently, like refilling a bit of SP or health from what I've read. Though I don't remember which did what. And I think Mitsuru's high/A-something tier. I don't think she's like super top, but I think she's still pretty good.
    I don't have to wait until next week. Amazon sent me an update and I should have the game tomorrow.
    I think Marie's electric distortion does wayyyyyyyyy more damage when under the rain. Phantom kept hitting me with it in our games yetserday and it was taking almost half a bar of health from me.
  • KennedyKillsKennedyKills Joined: Posts: 138
    edited October 2014
    Add me to the PSN list izerosleepi

Need people to play player matches with and actually learn something .. Feel like I'm just mashing out in ranked games against players worse than me lol

I was really into vanilla when it dropped but I stopped because the limited character selection online got boring quick. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen now with the extended roster
  • EffenhoogEffenhoog fish are friends Joined: Posts: 1,511
    edited October 2014

All returning characters have a new auto combo (shadow type characters use the old auto combo from P4A). Autocombos have never done very good damage but in ultimax it might be even worse. At the very least Akihiko does a lot less damage off his auto combo, which used to be one of the most damaging ones. They still have their place in certain combos (Akihiko often ends his combos with auto combo) or for some characters who might not have better options of some midscreen 5A confirms, like maybe Teddie or Shadow Mitsuru.

Adachi is a weird character in that he can't get much damage off "basic" combo starters but with crouching, counterhits, anti-airs, awakening super, etc he can do pretty good damage. He has a move that inflicts fear which causes any hit to be a fatal counter, and a command grab that he can combo from on counterhit or fatal counter. He might feel kind of shitty at first but he's not a bad character, just unusual and a bit unintuitive initially.

If anyone is interested in learning Akihiko, I'll link a few of my dustloop posts. The Akihiko forum hasn't really been organized for Ultimax yet and there haven't been too many people posting so right now this is pretty much all there is. Hopefully it will at least save someone the dozens of hours it took me to figure this stuff out on my own. If anyone has anything to add or questions to ask either here or over on dustloop for Akihiko combos and tech please do so, now that the US release is out it's the best time to share as much information as possible for new players.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6649-p4au-general-discussion/?p=842574
    http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6649-p4au-general-discussion/?p=845235
    http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6649-p4au-general-discussion/?p=846108

They call me Gamma Ray because I'm Forward Back Forward Back Down-Back Down Down-Forward Forward Hard Slash
    If you're on in about 30 minutes Kennedy we could do some matches. I need a break from Shadows of Mordor.

Also, @Phantom Angel‌ we should designate one of the world lobbies as the official "SRK" lobby.

I nominate Gekkoukan High School. Or maybe the Paulownia Mall. They got some of the best music tracks to em'.
    Also @Effenhoog, could you link any useful Yukari tech you find?
    edited October 2014
    Have you guys tried out Golden Arena? If not, you should. It's pretty cool.
    Add me to the PSN list izerosleepi

Need people to play player matches with and actually learn something .. Feel like I'm just mashing out in ranked games against players worse than me lol

I was really into vanilla when it dropped but I stopped because the limited character selection online got boring quick. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen now with the extended roster

Added.

Send me a friend request if you wanna get some games in.
    Also, @Phantom Angel‌ we should designate one of the world lobbies as the official "SRK" lobby.

I nominate Gekkoukan High School. Or maybe the Paulownia Mall. They got some of the best music tracks to em'.

I was thinking about that yesterday lol. Which Arcana?

Emperor sounds good to me.
    edited October 2014
    Emperor sounds good to me.

Akihiko's Arcana... lol that works.

Designated SRK Lobby: 06 Gekkoukan High School, IV Emperor

GGs, @Effenhoog. I need to boycott people with Japanese copies for a good two weeks lol.

I swear, this is "Akihiko's Bad Match-Ups: The Game." Between Margaret, Rise, Yukari, Ken, Sho(w/ Persona), and Marie, he's fucked.....and those are just the new characters.

• EffenhoogEffenhoog fish are friends Joined: Posts: 1,511
    I feel like Rise is actually a fairly okay matchup for Akihiko once you get a feel for her stuff, but yeah most of the new characters can be fairly annoying for Akihiko.

Fortunately Akihiko has all the basic tools to win, he just relies more on the player making the right decisions rather than having great normals to control neutral or running strong unreactable mixups like a lot of other characters can.

GGs
    They call me Gamma Ray because I'm Forward Back Forward Back Down-Back Down Down-Forward Forward Hard Slash
    I kept making the wrong decisions then lol... Rise's pressure is ridiculous. If I don't have meter to Alpha Counter or GC Evasive Action, I gotta hold it. For not having ever fought that character, I'm surprised how "well" I was blocking.

edited October 2014
    2 questions - when are people usually playing? I'm on around 7pm central on weekdays and pretty much whenever on weekends

And the other question I have is does anyone know what kanji's best option against Marie j.c is? I feel helpless against Marie players who use it with any sort of thought of the spacing or situation
    2 questions - when are people usually playing?

And the other question I have is does anyone know what kanji's best option against Marie j.c is? I feel helpless against Marie players who use it with any sort of thought of the spacing or situation

I'm usually playing between 3pm and 12am EST.

Can't you just DP or 360 it?

Yeah I've been doing dp on reaction I didn't know if there were any normal aa options that give you better damage without using the 50 meter to super cancel
    Yeah I've been doing dp on reaction I didn't know if there were any normal aa options that give you better damage without using the 50 meter to super cancel

Idk too much about Kanji, so I couldn't tell you. I'm pretty sure his 360, if you time it right, beats it out and converts into decent damage but, you're better off asking @Hawkingbird.

Kanji's AA options suck. His 2b is his best AA normal but he has slow startup so it isn't a move you can use on reaction. You have to know it's coming for it to be effective. Thunderbolts are also effective if can predict your opponent movement well enough.
    Anyone want to play? @Phantom Angel‌ ?
    Anyone want to play? @Phantom Angel‌ ?

Sure. You know where to go....

GGs, Martian. I need to learn some set ups for Marie... I'm only going to get so far with what I'm doing lol. Why the hell do they call her "Mary," btw? That shit pisses me off... It's "MUH-REE."

Who's idea was it to give Sho all these high-lows, teleports, instant overheads, AND cross-up/Evasive Action-esque AoA? He's annoying as shit lol. Screw his stupid swords, too... He can just throw out random normals and complicate my approach.

GGs, Martian. I need to learn some set ups for Marie... I'm only going to get so far with what I'm doing lol. Why the hell do they call her "Mary," btw? That shit pisses me off... It's "MUH-REE."

How are they gonna mess up their own character's name? Atlus is directly involved in the game, they know how to spell and pronounce the names.