Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax General Discussion (Out NOW in the US!!)

2»

Comments

• Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,091
    drwill439 wrote: »
    GGs, Martian. I need to learn some set ups for Marie... I'm only going to get so far with what I'm doing lol. Why the hell do they call her "Mary," btw? That shit pisses me off... It's "MUH-REE."

How are they gonna mess up their own character's name? Atlus is directly involved in the game, they know how to spell and pronounce the names.

Idk, but it's infuriating lol. Another thing I don't appreciate is the way they designed the Shadows. The fact that they have Persona contradict P4's entire storyline... They really should've just been Arcade Mode/Golden Arena bosses in their true forms.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • KennedyKillsKennedyKills Joined: Posts: 138
    @Hawkingbird‌ OK that's kind of what I thought but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. I'll stick with the dp then
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,999
    @Phantom Angel

The way the shadows are doesn't contradict anything. If the Malevolent Entity is who I think it is then the way the shadows function are his MO. Shadows were like that in Persona 2.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    @Phantom Angel

The way the shadows are doesn't contradict anything. If the Malevolent Entity is who I think it is then the way the shadows function are his MO. Shadows were like that in Persona 2.

Persona 2 had shadow versions of characters like Persona 4? And they used Persona? I say it's a contradiction because those shadows became those Persona.... It's not right that they're using them. I've only seen one shadow manifest a Persona, and that was a special case.

I haven't actually gotten through P4A's entire story... I tried, but it was too tedious. Gotta read up on it some time...

• drwill439drwill439 I'll never understand. Joined: Posts: 2,953
    @Phantom Angel

Persona 2 had shadow versions of characters like Persona 4? And they used Persona? I say it's a contradiction because those shadows became those Persona.... It's not right that they're using them. I've only seen one shadow manifest a Persona, and that was a special case.

I haven't actually gotten through P4A's entire story... I tried, but it was too tedious. Gotta read up on it some time...

I had the same issue with P4A's story before I sold it. Even worse is that I really had no incentive to play the story since I had all the characters right out the box.
    Steam: [PCFL]Dr. Will Xbox 360/One: DrW1ll439
    PSN: drwill439 CFN:WKA439 (PS4) or drwill439(Steam)
    drwill439 wrote: »
    @Phantom Angel

I had the same issue with P4A's story before I sold it. Even worse is that I really had no incentive to play the story since I had all the characters right out the box.

I wanted to know the story, but the way it's presented sucks. Same issue with BlazBlue, since it's the same.

@Phantom Angel

Yes, Shadows used personas in Persona 2 but they were reverse Personas. The Shadows from this game and Persona 2 doesn't come from within the characters. They were created by an entity.
    @Phantom Angel

Yes, Shadows used personas in Persona 2 but they were reverse Personas. The Shadows from this game and Persona 2 doesn't come from within the characters. They were created by an entity.

Oooooh, ok. That makes a lot more sense lol.

Btw, did you get your copy yet?

I have my copy. I was training with Kanji last night. I like the buffs they gave him.
    I have my copy. I was training with Kanji last night. I like the buffs they gave him.

Buffs... Oh, great.... :expressionless:

• metrokardmetrokard Joined: Posts: 1,298
    hey anyone got any good places to go if they want to learn kanji...play a bunch of matches and cant get a hang of this game...tried training mode but i feel so slow compaired to everyone else...and that target combo does ass damage so i want to learn some better ways to go about this game
    Dustloop is your best bet if you want to learn Kanji.
  • KyehlarKyehlar Purrrfect Joined: Posts: 122
    I believe the reason that the announcer seems to 'mess up' on Marie's name in the call, is that in Japan she's known as Mariko Kusumi. So it's possible the soundbyte just cuts off at 'Mari' and that's why it sounds like its messing up on the name.
    "Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never."
    SFV - Cammy/Ken/Juri USF4 - Cammy/Decapre/Sakura MKX - Mileena
    DOA5U - Ayane/Helena/Christie KOFXIII - King/Yuri/Mai/Kim SCV - Mitsurugi Style
    UMvC3 - Felicia/Tron/Jill/Tricia/Dante GG - Baiken/Millia/Jam Persona 4 - Marie/Yukiko/Margaret
    Skullgirls - Eliza/Cerebella/Valentine Divekick - Kung Pao Killer Instinct - Orchid
    twitch.tv/kyehlar Avatar Image by svoidist
    Kyehlar wrote: »
    I believe the reason that the announcer seems to 'mess up' on Marie's name in the call, is that in Japan she's known as Mariko Kusumi. So it's possible the soundbyte just cuts off at 'Mari' and that's why it sounds like its messing up on the name.

That can't be it... The pronunciation would still be incorrect, because it should be "ah" as in "fall" in Japanese. They pronounce Akihiko and Kanji's names perfectly fine. Either way you look at it, they're saying her name wrong.

Has anyone unlocked different announcers to be able to tell if the other characters pronounce it correctly? I know for a fact Teddie should.

That can't be it... The pronunciation would still be incorrect, because it should be "ah" as in "fall" in Japanese. They pronounce Akihiko and Kanji's names perfectly fine. Either way you look at it, they're saying her name wrong.

Has anyone unlocked different announcers to be able to tell if the other characters pronounce it correctly? I know for a fact Teddie should.

Only one I've unlocked is Yukiko, and all they announce are the round calls. Still the announcer stating who wins.
    "Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never."
    UMvC3 - Felicia/Tron/Jill/Tricia/Dante GG - Baiken/Millia/Jam Persona 4 - Marie/Yukiko/Margaret
    Skullgirls - Eliza/Cerebella/Valentine Divekick - Kung Pao Killer Instinct - Orchid
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,705
    Hell, truth be told I forget how you even unlock them in the first place.
  • The MartianThe Martian Shinjuku Masterlord. Joined: Posts: 12,128
    Why can't you pick the announcer for every fighter...?
    "You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."
  • BlueXIIIBlueXIII Self-Improvement Club Joined: Posts: 96
    Why can't you pick the announcer for every fighter...?

Nanako round call is the best thing to ever happen to me in this game.
    Someone pointed out there's apparently not a Sho round call announcer, which makes me kinda sad, since bad puns going all match would be hilarious.

Only one I've unlocked is Yukiko, and all they announce are the round calls. Still the announcer stating who wins.

Dammit... There's Announcer and then there's Round Call. The Announcer doesn't...well, announce?

• BlueXIIIBlueXIII Self-Improvement Club Joined: Posts: 96
    Dammit... There's Announcer and then there's Round Call. The Announcer doesn't...well, announce?

The announcer says things like "__ Wins" or "Check the time!". He doesn't have much presence during the match, but I guess that's what Navigators are for.
    So are there announcers to unlock on top of the round call? Because round calls unlock by beating Arcade mode with said characters.

Where are the guides for this shit? lol
    So are there announcers to unlock on top of the round call? Because round calls unlock by beating Arcade mode with said characters.

Where are the guides for this shit? lol

I beat Arcade with Marie and got nothing....

Can you play in about an hour, Phantom?
    edited October 2014
    Can you play in about an hour, Phantom?

Yea, I can.

When does the Margaret DLC come out, btw? She uses a couple of my favorite Persona, and I want to Suplex people.

I think Margaret actually comes out tonight, unless she's already out.
    edited October 2014
    Welp that was pretty cool, spent 30 mins finishing Kanji's challenge 25 and didn't get the trophy.. lel

Anyways phantom just saw you sign in im on Junes Magician
    Welp that was pretty cool, spent 30 mins finishing Kanji's challenge 25 and didn't get the trophy.. lel

Anyways phantom just saw you sign in im on Junes Magician

My power's acting funny right now... It keeps going in and out. I'm afraid I won't be able to play today.

• AlkipotAlkipot Purse first, ass last Joined: Posts: 1,759
    Game looked interesting so I thought I'd give this Persona thing a shot for the first time ever, are there any beginner friendly characters anyone can recommend? I've been using Rise so far and she's fun as hell.
    SFV CFN - EvilMuffinMan (Laura, Guile, Birdie)
    Watch my terrible SFV/For Honor/UFC2 play here!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkipot
  • TetsuroTetsuro Joined: Posts: 683
    Was gonna pick this game up the other night on psn, but the free characters stopped being free a day early. WTF Atlus?
  • EffenhoogEffenhoog fish are friends Joined: Posts: 1,511
    Alkipot wrote: »
    Game looked interesting so I thought I'd give this Persona thing a shot for the first time ever, are there any beginner friendly characters anyone can recommend? I've been using Rise so far and she's fun as hell.

Most characters are pretty beginner friendly really, you can play whoever you want. Yukari, Elizabeth, and Shadow Labrys are the only characters I would say are particularly hard/awkward to start with, maybe Yukiko.
    They call me Gamma Ray because I'm Forward Back Forward Back Down-Back Down Down-Forward Forward Hard Slash
    @tetsuro Japanese time or something? That's weird lol
  • nagatonagato Joined: Posts: 1
    The European release isn't until 21st November I am crying. I was thinking about getting a US import but I honestly can't afford it.
    @phantom angel

Gotta be on. You got the time to do some matches?
    PerShona is a surprisingly fun character (as is Sho without the Persona). Though I'm also really strangely kind of liking Rise and Aigis. And I keep debating on whether to try/put time into Marie and/or Adachi. Plus, I'm still kind of interested in Yukari, and a couple of others seem okay. It's odd, there's so many interesting looking characters in this game compared to the first where it seemed only Narukami and Chie interested me.
    LivewireX wrote: »
    PerShona

This pun was intentional wasn't it? Is he rubbing off on you?
    @phantom angel

Gotta be on. You got the time to do some matches?

If you're still around, I can hop online in a bit.

I love how many characters they added from P3 into this game.

Need me some fresh Yukari tech.
    LivewireX wrote: »
    PerShona

This pun was intentional wasn't it? Is he rubbing off on you?

Haha, nah. I've had bad puns as my thing for years and years now, lol. But Sho's bad puns are amazing.
    i always seem to get counter hit and fatal countered under presure when im playing kanji..is there like a definitive normal you throw out to stop presure or am i supposed to sit there and wait for an opportunity to escape to neutral?
  • skaloolaskaloola Joined: Posts: 172
    I've been playing as Yukiko.. recently been playing as only shadow Yukiko, now it's true that I'm absolutely terrible, it seems that as shadow I'm consistently worse and am not really sure what I should be doing differently. One thing that is kinda fun is to shadow rampage then spam maragi.

Maybe I'll just stick with regular Yukiko for now
    metrokard wrote: »
    i always seem to get counter hit and fatal countered under presure when im playing kanji..is there like a definitive normal you throw out to stop presure or am i supposed to sit there and wait for an opportunity to escape to neutral?

generally yes, kanjis best defensive option is to block. his 5A is your best and fastest neutral poke as you can 5aaa>air 214a>236a for 2k damage, otherwise if youre too far out for the 5AAA to connect, do 5AA>2a>2ab>236a

any other buttons during pressure pretty much require a huge read, rolling out, dp'ing to interrupt etc
    thanks man ive been playing more and figuring out how to play better.
    To those who pre-oredered are wondering why this "bop bag" doesn't work... You're supposed to fill the bottom of it with water(or sand, I guess).

460A585A-8B9A-4973-A1F8-3BA03C1AF144_zpsxd8hvkyc.jpg
    5B2BF046-D2D7-419D-97C0-C618823EF8B2_zpssr9gu4dq.jpg

Works just as advertised now.

• Surge101Surge101 Joined: Posts: 115
    Does anyone know if this game is going to be released for PS4, considering MadCatz has a P4Ultimax fight stick for PS4?
    Surge101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this game is going to be released for PS4, considering MadCatz has a P4Ultimax fight stick for PS4?

I don't recall any announcements, but I'm sure some version of P4A will end up on PS4 eventually.

2»