The Marvel Studios thread | Black Panther's new trailer own ya!!

Comments

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,976
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,740 mod
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,431
    I would say it better not go to his head but too late for that.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,781 mod
    (For those of us not following James Gunn, would anyone mind terribly explaining why he's a "douche" seemingly all of a sudden?)

Huh. That's...interesting. I wonder if this was always secretly planned, a consequence of the Inhumans movie being pushed back, a consequence of them requiring some property (a Doctor Doom movie?), or them simply deciding to not split up the movie and try to put into one, especially given other "Part" movies that aren't stand-alone have arguably done relatively poorly. I guess won't know for a while.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 25,824 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I hope Flash stays as Venom. He's been the most interesting Venom in years. Get him out of space.

Scorpion Venom was way better imo. I like the back and forth he had with the suit. Plus, he was great in the Thunderbolts. That was my favorite run of the series.
    This is offensive.
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 25,824 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Gunn wants to make his own Star Wars using already established characters and stories that he can tweak to his liking.

He's starting to come off as kind of a douche. Guardians 2 better be amazing for all the shit he's been talking.

So what's wrong with an artist coming in wanting to do his own shit with already known characters? Isn't that, like, the WHOLE FUCKING THING of comics?

If I didn't want a different take on heroes that already exist, I'd just have a computer create the story. Literally no nuance goes into them.
    This is offensive.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,976
    Wil wrote: »
    Marvel just cancelled Avengers: Infinity War Part 2. Infinity Wars will be a single movie is still scheduled for May 4, 2018.

On May 3, 2019, Marvel will release a untitled Avengers film.

k3twJt9.gif

http://www.thewrap.com/marvel-surprise-avengers-infinity-war-wont-be-split-into-2-movies/

Maybe a new Avengers cast after the 2019 movie? Secret Wars?
    That's old news.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,782
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,431
    RockBogart wrote: »

What a half assed excuse. The MCU is already established! Why split things apart anymore? Fuck his nonsense.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    (How the hell is Loeb still getting work with Marvel?)

*already knows why Loeb is an idiot and general wreck*

*is still waiting to hear why Gunn is a douche due to being genuinely curious*
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 972
    edited July 2016
    I dunno why Gunn is a douche, but from what I gathered in this thread, is because he's getting a bit to full of himself.

Stuff like, fan favorite Nova not making any kind of appearance in GotG and Gunn being adamant about omitting him from his movies.

Or modifying Star Lord's dad to be someone completely unrelated to the source material.

Gunn has zero excuses for both instances besides a very douchy "I don't wanna."

Either way, I can't wait for GotG2. I'm not very familiar with the cosmic side of Marvel, so that helps.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "I love My Little Pony so much it hurts".
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,782
    Gunn is being a douche because he's changing shit just to change shit, refuses to help the MCU establish any cosmic stuff, i.e. shitting all over Richard Rider and the Nova Corps, and his ego is seemingly growing beyond his accomplishments.

He's starting to sound real Snyder-ish right about now... He just happens to have waaayyyyyyyy more talent.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,292
    Gunn is being a douche because he's changing shit just to change shit, refuses to help the MCU establish any cosmic stuff, i.e. shitting all over Richard Rider and the Nova Corps, and his ego is seemingly growing beyond his accomplishments.

He's starting to sound real Snyder-ish right about now... He just happens to have waaayyyyyyyy more talent.

That doesn't make him a douche. Gunn has his own corner of the MCU that no one else has a claim to and developing it how he wants it. If he doesn't want to use Nova then he shouldn't have to. Making a creator use a character they don't want to use is how you end up with Venom in Spider-Man 3.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • FrágmentFrágment Joined: Posts: 536
    I dunno why Gunn is a douche, but from what I gathered in this thread, is because he's getting a bit to full of himself.

Stuff like, fan favorite Nova not making any kind of appearance in GotG and Gunn being adamant about omitting him from his movies.

Or modifying Star Lord's dad to be someone completely unrelated to the source material.

Gunn has zero excuses for both instances besides a very douchy "I don't wanna."

Either way, I can't wait for GotG2. I'm not very familiar with the cosmic side of Marvel, so that helps.

He made GotG into a big success, much more than it has ever been in the comics. If this was some legendary succesful source material like X-Men, we could say there's a problem with that, but for GotG, we can argue he knows best for the franchise...
  • FrágmentFrágment Joined: Posts: 536
    Frágment wrote: »
    He made GotG into a big success, much more than it has ever been in the comics. If this was some legendary succesful source material like X-Men, we could say there's a problem with that, but for GotG, we can argue he knows best for the franchise...

GotG was one of Marvel's best books coming out of Annihilation Conquest right up until The Thanos Imperative.

The only better book they had was Nova.

Nova was the figurehead character in the relaunch of Cosmic Marvel, so to exclude him from the movies based in space is very, very annoying.

I read all of those. I think Marvel's Cosmic universe was great as a whole, but as individual titles not that much. It was "okay at best", the parts of the Church of Universal Truth were really tedious, to be honest.

While I enjoyed Nova's journey very much, the parts where he was in Earth were the most boring ones, not sure if it would endure its own movie. And surprisingly I grew to like Quasar. While I think the storyline was beyond epic, when it's in space it's a Green Lantern ripoff, after all. They could use someone to reinvent it.

I'd be totally pro an Annihilation movie, but I don't think you have to directly adapt those series in a "true to the comics" way to achieve the effect.

J'son was barely involved in the Annihilation-Thanos Imperative cycle, BTW, I think nothing of importance has been lost.
    (So basically it's just his exclusion of Nova the character, who are arguably wouldn't make sense right now in the MCU even if Gunn didn't dislike him, and him possibly making Ego Quill's father than J'son even though we don't know if that's actually true yet, much less a bad?)

Uh...I would hardly say that qualifies Gunn as a "douche", especially compared to bullshit that Loeb and Quesada and other comic book-involved people like Snyder pull regularly. I can understand that how one might find it annoying even though my only interaction with Nova the character is through Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which didn't exactly endear me to the character for completely irrelevant reasons anyway.

The average person doesn't even know who Richard Rider is, especially since he apparently got replaced by another (minority) Nova recently, just like how the average person generally likely didn't know anything about any of Marvel's Cosmic characters save for maybe Galactus and the Silver Surfer, who "hilariously" aren't even able to be used by MCU due to being in the death-grip of Fox. Sure, he could work well in the movies, but forcing Gunn to use a character he apparently doesn't like would likely lead to Nova getting short-changed like how Sam Raimi did to Venom in Spider-Man 3 as someone already pointed out. I guarantee that everyone already calling him a "douche" would find that worse than if he had never touched Nova at all.

Besides, in addition to next to no one even knowing what Earth Terra was in The Guardian of the Galaxy movies, doesn't Nova the character not become relevant until basically all of the Nova Corps is slaughtered anyway?

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,122
    edited July 2016
    Gunn is a douche because he's doing stuff you guys disagree on. Therefore you guys are calling him a douche. If he is doing he's changing certain things and those changes aren't "right," then you'll frame it in a way that he is a douche.

Seems right. :coffee:
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
    (I'll laugh if Nova makes it in...but it's the Sam Alexander (?) character.)

For the record, I was asking for any links to interviews since I was wondering what the hell you guys were talking about with regards to Gunn being a "douche".

Or he could just be an adult about it. But I know that's asking too much of creative types :rofl:

He is being an adult about it too. By being upfront that he doesn't like Nova. It's just something you dislike.

To me, being childish about it would be bringing Nova in only to turn around and then utterly fuck him over at every possible turn.

Don't act like trying to force stuff on "creative types" hasn't resulted in a bunch of sub-par stuff.

The Damned wrote: »
    Besides, in addition to next to no one even knowing what Earth Terra was in The Guardian of the Galaxy movies, doesn't Nova the character not become relevant until basically all of the Nova Corps is slaughtered anyway?

Which pretty much happened in the first movie :rofl:

And I don't see shit working out for them during Infinity War because Thanos has to go there to pick up a gem.

I thought a decent portion of the Nova Corps was still alive at the end of the movie. It's just that a lot of them died trying and failing to hold back the Dark Aster.

But, yeah, Thanos is probably going to finish up the job given the Gem is there and we know he gets it, which is another part of the reason I'm not too worried about Nova the (Richard Rider) character being mentioned at all yet despite Gunn's dislike of him.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • The EpidemicThe Epidemic Archduke Caramel Adonis Joined: Posts: 9,906
    I noticed he kept his mass since Creed.
    God's favorite ©

• dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,778
    Yeah, Annihilation was going on at the same time as Civil War. Basically all of Marvel's Earth based stuff was shitty around this time.

3087385-annihilators_assemble.jpg

As8NB.jpg?1

The Annihilators can be handled by someone else.

That is my hope with the fox deals. I really need to see Silver Surfer, Super Skrull, and even some Galactus in marvel cosmic stuff
    Michael Chernus joins the Spider-Man cast as the Tinkerer.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/michael-chernus-spider-man-homecoming-villains-1201801646/
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,894
    The goddamn Tinkerer gets into a Spidey movie before Scorpion?

LOL.

All Scorpions will have to pay for MK's Wolverine Publicity!
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    The goddamn Tinkerer gets into a Spidey movie before Scorpion?

LOL.

The Tinkerer being in the movie can lead to Scorpion and other tech based Spidey villains.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,740 mod
    In fairness, Marvel seems to have been shitting on Rider for longer than Gunn. At least ever since Bendis got his way and introduced Sam Alexander instead.
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,532
    Doesn't matter. Rich is coming back in November.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
    The Screenwriter of Captain Marvel is going to change Carol origin because it's too similar to Green Lantern's
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/captain-marvel-screenwriter-says-film-will-reinvent-carol-danvers-origin
  • dodgers2213dodgers2213 Joined: Posts: 3,028
    edited August 2016
    I don't see what is wrong with the first origin. I guess she is similar to Hal in they're both in the air force??? I mean, Hal finds a crashed alien ship and gets the the ring. Carol finds out the person she was working with is an alien and after an explosion is subjected to alien radiation thus becoming Ms. Marvel. How other than the most basic things like being in the Air Force and aliens are they too similar?
    Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
    I don't see what is wrong with the first origin. I guess she is similar to Hal in they're both in the air force??? I mean, Hal finds a crashed alien ship and gets the the ring. Carol finds out the person she was working with is an alien and after an explosion is subjected to alien radiation thus becoming Ms. Marvel. How other than the most basic things like being in the Air Force and aliens are they too similar?

In the podcast the screenwriter compared Mar-Vell to Abin Sur. The similarity to GL becomes stronger if you look at it that way. Her origin will need to be changed anyway as Carol is legacy character. Mar-Vell was Captain Marvel for a couple of years before Carol came into the scene.
    At this rate Rock gonna suddenly be a Parker fan if they give him some color. :coffee:
    Saitsu wrote: »
    At this rate Rock gonna suddenly be a Parker fan if they give him some color. :coffee:

More like "why the fuck is he making us look bad"

Says the person who idolizes the man who is willingly withholding the cancer cure. :coffee: