The Marvel Studios thread | X-Men and Fantastic Four WELCOME BACK!! CONFIRMED!!

Comments

• DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,562
    Wil wrote: »
    Mary Jane should have been Asian.
    Spider-Man should have been Asian.
    Everyone in the Spider-Man movie should be Asian.

:coffee:

Except Cindy Moon. She oughta be the black chick.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,980 mod
    (But what type of Asian? You totally know people would kvetch about that too. Indian Spider-Man? Or Japanese Spider-Man? Do you go the Disney route and genetically splice them together?)

That said, I'll admit that I'm not exactly sold on "black(ish) Mary Jane" either, but I don't particularly care either given the last Mary Jane we got was Kristen Dunst; I still haven't watched either of the Amazing Spider-Man movies, so I'm not sure a version of her was in that. If the girl playing her can act the part well (and look good-while doing it), then frankly I don't give a damn even if it would have been nice to have a good-looking white red-haired girl in her place.

MJ should be saved for later. Liz is in the movie, she works a childhood crush for Pete for now.

But then you know the causal people would bitching about "Why isn't Mary Jane in this movie?" unless they were one of the people bitching about "Why isn't Gwen Stacy in this movie?"

Now they get to bitch about "Why is Mary Jane black in this movie?", which helps to generate more controversy and thus attention. Even if that was there actual goal with this "race lift", as long as they don't make the SJW Ghostbusters's mistake of overall insulting their target audience, which MCU is smart enough to not do, then perversely even in the cynical eye, this is becomes a positive thing as far as marketing goes.

It's always something.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,297
    Shailene Woodley was going to be the ASM MJ but they kept cutting her scenes.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    maxx wrote: »
    Zenyatta is cool and all but I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's not only a matter of trying to force a spin on what should be a timeless classic, but even trying to modernize Spiderman for 2016 should have some sort of limitations. I'm not buying Zendaya as Mary Jane Watson at ALL. I don't see it. Mary Jane Watson is an iconic character who has, at her core, been a sought after love interest of Peter Parker. She's represented the quintessential teenaged popular girl with a slight sex appeal that every boy, nerdy and popular, has wanted. I'm supposed to buy that Zendaya can pull THAT off? It's not happening. I think that's why nearly every Spiderman movie has gotten Mary Jane wrong. The closest to doing it right was Shailene Woodley but even then, I wasn't too convinced. There's no need to fuck with the formula. And it's not even about ethnicity. It's has more to do with the fact that Zendaya does not seem like a Mary Jane kind of character.

nigga they had kirsten dunst as mary jane. she was appealing to no one but white people lol.

In which dimension Kirsten Dunst appeals to... anyone?

nigga....she had a fuckin film career.....that says it all.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    The Damned wrote: »
    MJ should be saved for later. Liz is in the movie, she works a childhood crush for Pete for now.

But then you know the causal people would bitching about "Why isn't Mary Jane in this movie?" unless they were one of the people bitching about "Why isn't Gwen Stacy in this movie?"

Now they get to bitch about "Why is Mary Jane black in this movie?", which helps to generate more controversy and thus attention. Even if that was there actual goal with this "race lift", as long as they don't make the SJW Ghostbusters's mistake of overall insulting their target audience, which MCU is smart enough to not do, then perversely even in the cynical eye, this is becomes a positive thing as far as marketing goes.

It's always something.

The only thing I personally care is getting MJ and Peter right, both in character and visuals. The rest they can do whatever. I wouldn't even care if they cast Terry Crews as Aunt May or a pakistani Gwen Stacy. Flash is a bit... odd, but not a big deal.

Liz is already the token race swaped chick, no need to do it for MJ as well.

Zenyatta is cool and all but I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's not only a matter of trying to force a spin on what should be a timeless classic, but even trying to modernize Spiderman for 2016 should have some sort of limitations. I'm not buying Zendaya as Mary Jane Watson at ALL. I don't see it. Mary Jane Watson is an iconic character who has, at her core, been a sought after love interest of Peter Parker. She's represented the quintessential teenaged popular girl with a slight sex appeal that every boy, nerdy and popular, has wanted. I'm supposed to buy that Zendaya can pull THAT off? It's not happening. I think that's why nearly every Spiderman movie has gotten Mary Jane wrong. The closest to doing it right was Shailene Woodley but even then, I wasn't too convinced. There's no need to fuck with the formula. And it's not even about ethnicity. It's has more to do with the fact that Zendaya does not seem like a Mary Jane kind of character.

nigga they had kirsten dunst as mary jane. she was appealing to no one but white people lol.

You say like she is the only baffling choice Hollywood has ever made. Besides, Raimi probably wanted to tap that.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
    The Damned wrote: »

It's always something.

The only thing I personally care is getting MJ and Peter right, both in character and visuals. The rest they can do whatever. I wouldn't even care if they cast Terry Crews as Aunt May or a pakistani Gwen Stacy. Flash is a bit... odd, but not a big deal.

Liz is already the token race swaped chick, no need to do it for MJ as well.

You say like she is the only baffling choice Hollywood has ever made. Besides, Raimi probably wanted to tap that.

wut? no i say it like hey...somewhere...a bunch of people found her ugly ass attractive. and yet we have a an actual hottie and people dont get why we want her.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    (Lol at the idea of Terry Crews as Aunt May, especially given Civil War.)

It's nice to see them do a call-back to that when they didn't have to do so, so I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just a rumor.

That or they made it not a rumor to try to recover from "whoops, non-Asian Ancient One".
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    She's not hot enough to play the bombshell MJ. As it stands she looks like a girl Peter might safe from the projects and develop a sort of flirtatious relationship with. Marcel studios is probably gonna go bankrupt with the amount of weaves she'll be using per scene.

or you just dye her hair. shes been red before.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,386
    edited August 2016
    All this salt over a chick who looks perfectly fine with red hair. Just dye the shit and let her play the role, damn. Hell, ain't Gwen Stacy in this movie too? Shit, Zendaya probably will take a back seat role if they go the traditional route and have Pete and Gwen hook up first.

Probably the same dudes complaining that Iron Fist is being played by a white guy... :coffee:
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,297
    po pimpus wrote: »
    All this salt over a chick who looks perfectly fine with red hair. Just dye the shit and let her play the role, damn. Hell, ain't Gwen Stacy in this movie too? Shit, Zendaya probably will take a back seat role if they go the traditional route and have Pete and Gwen hook up first.

Probably the same dudes complaining that Iron Fist is being played by a white guy... :coffee:

No, those dudes are worse because they either don't know Iron Fist was ALWAYS a white guy, or they do know and believe that this was Marvel's one chance to "right that wrong".
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,875
    I just want a Redheard MJ. Zendaya is already a better pick than Dunst.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,408

Have you ever watched Bring It On?
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    edited August 2016
    (Pfft.)

Even in Bring it On both Eliza Dushku and Gabrielle Union are the superior looking women by far. It's not that Dunst is horrible-looking necessarily. It's just that she's average looking at best and being cookie-cutter blond on top of that in Hollywood doesn't help her either on top of being so-and-so actress at best.

Still, there are certainly worse actresses in both terms of looks and acting ability (or lack thereof).

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Wasted wrote: »

I have no idea what that is.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,875

I have no idea what that is.

Be glad you don't.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 1,150
    She's not hot enough to play the bombshell MJ. As it stands she looks like a girl Peter might safe from the projects and develop a sort of flirtatious relationship with. Marcel studios is probably gonna go bankrupt with the amount of weaves she'll be using per scene.

LMAO. This guy gets me. Although I'm not trying to crack on the weaves, but yes. I don't get any sort of MJ vibes from her, at all. At least with other Marvel characters who are casted, you can look at them and be like, "Oh, ok. I see what they're going for!" Not happening with Zendaya and MJ.
  • CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 545
    edited August 2016
    NMXDOdJ.jpg

Cast for Homecoming. Tiffany Espensen as "Cindy" makes me curious.

I mean, she is following the Silk creative team on twitter, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think she is playing Cindy Moon.

...But who knows really.
    Rip sig.
    I didn't know most nerds would want to feel up on a body type similar to their own.
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 1,028
    I didn't know most nerds would want to feel up on a body type similar to their own.

You're reaching... but knowing how fucked up nerds are... yeah.... yeah they would, they would pretty hard actually.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "http://dontevenreply.com".

LMAO. This guy gets me. Although I'm not trying to crack on the weaves, but yes. I don't get any sort of MJ vibes from her, at all. At least with other Marvel characters who are casted, you can look at them and be like, "Oh, ok. I see what they're going for!" Not happening with Zendaya and MJ.

lmfao wut? i can list you a whole shitload of people who didnt seem right for the part til they started acting in the marvel movie.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:

lmfao wut? i can list you a whole shitload of people who didnt seem right for the part til they started acting in the marvel movie.

I know what you mean. And the same applies the other way i.e Andrew Garfield turning up to be a mediocre Spiderman. That's why I said I'll hold SOME skepticism about Zendaya until I see her on the big screen. But as of now, in terms of overall appearance, Zendaya does not give me any sort of MJ vibe at all. Just because you'll throw red highlights or a red wig on her head does not magically make her MJ. That's not how it works.
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge One Bad Day Joined: Posts: 16,507
    Zendaya as Mary Jane? *scoffs* Look, Zendaya is beautiful. Her lips look like they taste like candy and she got a decent ass but I got a thing for red heads and we need a hot white chick red head. Someone cast Christina Hendricks as Mary Jane. My eyes(and my dick) won't complain.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,937
    I absolutely hate the "Disney Channel sitcom" aesthetic that's going on with the casting so far. All of Peter's best adventures in the comics were when he was well into adulthood (as in, past college or at the tail end of it) but the powers that be seem dead set on making him a schoolboy again and again with each new adaptation.
    Hopefully the highschool setting is only for one movie, maybe a bit of the second.
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,937
    Thor Ragnarok is filming in my city right now, a few blocks from where I work.

Wow, figured that movie was already finished by now.
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 4,044
    Personally I think some of the main creative or executive types that have say in this secretly have a hard on for the nostalgia of the high school era due to it being when they themselves read Spider-man and didn't have any adult or near adult responsibilities. That being said I do also recognize there is some pull in using that setting since of all the teenage superheroes to have come and gone, Spider-man is pretty much the only one to make it as such a massive success as a property on his own without being a already established side kick or appearing in a team book.

As for Zendaya, I straight up didn't know who this chick was before I saw her in a commercial for some facial cream and I might be even getting that wrong. Either way I don't care so long as she can act and yes I will require at minimum lots of red highlight because I do love me some red hair and I will accept fake stuff. As for those complaining, she is below my threshold I think for lusting after younger women but I think she is sort of cute and seems popular enough that I feel the casting is fair. Besides I think we all know that Marvel isn't even trying to get a serious romance going on with any version of Peter Parker unless they absolutely have to.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    Thor Ragnarok is filming in my city right now, a few blocks from where I work.

Wow, figured that movie was already finished by now.

Nope, Hemsworth and Hiddleston rocked up for shooting this morning. They're blocking off part of the inbound motorway to the city for the filming.

Hopefully the highschool setting is only for one movie, maybe a bit of the second.

hes young...your gettin a couple movies outta him in hs.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Apparently they're filming the civilian scenes here. Those shots from the trailer where Thor and Loki are in civvies/tracksuits, they're continuing those scenes here. Turned a whole street into NYC for a week with fake yellow taxis and stuff.

Apparently Ruffalo and Hopkins are here as well.

snip

spoillerrsssss.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    No spoilers here, I haven't been watching any of the filming.

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file