Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

The Marvel Studios thread | "Wakanda Forever!!" Week

Comments

• WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I haven't seen too many combat action scenes in the trailers or commercials I have seen but yeah it does look like the fights will be lackluster. Meh, hopefully the rest of the film like others have stated will be enough to make it a great film.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Peace to the Mountain. Joined: Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just hope it lives up to the hype. Plus it’s been the only marvel movie I’ve ever been excited for.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Install
  • RodimusRodimus Wassup?! Im the King now! Joined: Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    BP=9.5/10
    Trust me fans of BP and the BP comics, this shit was craaaaay-z listen to ya boy. Thinking this movie would never get made to this level.

Wakanda=Insane I mean i was lucky that my friend took me to this early screening but when you first wrap your head around these visuals its like What in thee fuck. Peeps in there was damn near in tears, everything meshed well. The tech, the tribes, the African traditions just beautiful, like 1st trip there and you marrying your Wakandian princess lol. Now its not a basic comic movie how its presented. Most comic movies want us to suspend belief and try hard to make the world/environment feel real but BP you feel that realness!!

This cast=Amazing, now Chadwick we knew had the goods but lemme tell you Michael B as Killmonger!!!! they changed a few things w/his origin minor stuff but its his Movie co staring everybody else cept for Shuri, she's like that *that chick* but back to Killmonger.

Black peeps will def relate to Killmonger even if they never read a BP comic the way he is presented in this Michael B just kills it. You totally feel him and his motives.

Dora Milaje=perfect, they are unfuckwitable like they should be.

You could try to find bad things about the movie but for me there was none, its IMHO top 3 MCU w/o ?uestion.
    [Spoiler/]

Post End Scene
    There 2 but BP comic fans be prepared cause they do something different with white wolf, so i dunno how that gonna work but im sure itll be fine lol.
    [spoiler/]
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 668
    Ya’ll have me jealous but I see the movie solo Thursday and with friends and family Saturday.
  • CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 588
    edited February 14
    Just back from Black Panther, and man that was a great movie.

It's a definitely cracked my top 3 as far as MCU movies go at the very least (though it definitely has its fair share of problems, and I also expect that to change once Infinity War rolls around). I'll post more about it later, but if there's one positive that comes to mind, is that the soundtrack was incredible.

I've criticised the MCU in the past for having rather forgettable soundtracks barring the Avengers theme, but this is the one major exception. Hopefully, IW can keep the trend going.
    Rip sig.
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 15
    Double post but will use the space anyway.

Movie did not disappoint. Really different kind of Marvel movie because it had emotional moments. It brought wakanda to real life and sticked with the panther spirit legend.

Chadwick really delivers as a dramatic actor. Michael is underrated. Made you feel sympy with his character. Great casting as well.

Also love the formal clothing. Angela can still get it.

Can't wait for tony, shuri and rocket interact in infinity war.

And lastly, white wolf.

Had some minor gripes but tolerable. 9/10.
    Post edited by makmak!!! on
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 4,016
    edited February 15
    Because Science - The Black Panther Vibranium Habit

Post edited by Optimus124 on
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
    Magegg wrote: »
    By the thumbnail I thought it was some Black Panther promo video featuring Chris Hemsworth directed by Taika Waititi.

I went back and edited the post for clarity.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,984 mod
    (Ugh. This thread is still grayed out like it has no new posts because of all of RockBogart's posts got nuked? That's still annoying.)

I won't be seeing Black Panther until this Sunday, at earliest, but I figured I could just pop in to do a Debbie Downer safety reminder to just be aware of your surroundings this weekend while going to it. Personally, I still fully expect there to be some type of Aurora-esque incident with regards to this movie unfortunately, especially given what just happened in Florida yesterday and mass-shooters tending to get be the type of people emboldened by other similar events to enact their murderous narcissism; I also wouldn't be surprised if there was just some more "minor" shooting incident between really ghetto (black) people either to be honest. This is one of those times where I expect the worst yet very much would like to be wrong.

Regardless, stay safe and have fun while watching the movie if you do go see it this weekend.

*snip*

I don't remember where I heard it but someone described it as being Marvel's version of James Bond, I thought that was an accurate description.

B+.
    I want to see it again.

As much as I don't really like James Bond personally for the most part, that's good to hear, especially since it's probably the closest a black person (or, Hades, a non-white person) will ever get to playing James Bond anytime soon if ever. :coffee:
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The King of Wakanda Joined: Posts: 10,081
    Saw the movie tonight. I haven't seen the theatre that packed since The Force Awakens. Never thought I'd live to see a two term black president and a big budget black movie that is sold out.
    CFN: Darc_Requiem (PS4)
    CFN: Dark_Requiem (PC)
    WAKANDA FOREVER!!!!
    ShoRyuKen Warriors Backup Forum
    http://s15.zetaboards.com/SRK_Asylum/index/
  • GravityGravity Joined: Posts: 2,479
    I was planning on seeing this movie on Sunday, but I might have to go see it on Saturday.

Internet will be a minefield of spoilers.
    @The Furious One I watched Stuckmann's review. I can't disagree with anything he said. In fact, I'm basically in 100% agreement with him.
    WAKANDA FOREVER!!!!
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,544 admin
    Didn't love love it, but it was good.
    Killmonger is great, but his ending was a bit weak and the whole Black Panther legacy seems pretty fucked. Supposedly we'll hear more about the legacy in future movies but yeah Killmonger kinda had a point.

I love Martin Freeman, but ... not sure what he really added other than being awesome Martin Freeman/MCU-tie-in-of-the-day.

Seemed like a waste of Klaw, but OK.

The Regal Cinemas combo pack with tin popcorn container is pretty tight.

I want a baby rhino.

i film things

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,939
    edited February 16
    Preppy wrote: »
    Didn't love love it, but it was good.
    Killmonger is great, but his ending was a bit weak and the whole Black Panther legacy seems pretty fucked. Supposedly we'll hear more about the legacy in future movies but yeah Killmonger kinda had a point.

I love Martin Freeman, but ... not sure what he really added other than being awesome Martin Freeman/MCU-tie-in-of-the-day.

Seemed like a waste of Klaw, but OK.

The Regal Cinemas combo pack with tin popcorn container is pretty tight.

I want a baby rhino.

I agree Freeman's character seemed rather redundant, he literally plays the tourist.

I'm not familiar with Klaw's character but I liked how he was used, Killmonger was underused. His ending was perfect just how they got there with the fight was disappointing IMO.

Thinking back, a lot of Marvel's movies underuse their great villains, GoTG 1 comes to mind, lame ones like Ultron get a lot of screen time and he was just playing Tony Stark.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,049
    Optimus124 wrote: »
    Not 3D? What an insult.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just got back from BP.

Pros

The design of Wakanda mixing African and futuristic elements. All the costumes were beautiful.

-Great actors.

It has a very different vibe than most MCU efforts since it is basically a king who moonlights as a superhero. It felt like 2/3 drama with 1/3 standard superheroics.

Many cool female characters who were used with good balance and didnt make the male characters look weak

--The music. At a certain point , I noticed the African styled music transitioned to hip hop when a certain thing happens in the film.

MB Jordan as Killmonger. At truly sympathetic villain and one of the few in MCU that I almost rooted for.

Cons

The action sequences were good, but not the best ever. I think Okoye had better fight scenes than T'Challa

Some of the greenscreen/cgi was underwhelming.

IMO Killmonger was underused. There is a almost 40 some minutes where he isnt onscreen in the first half.

Ross felt tacked on mostly.

Overall: A Great movie. I'd put it on equal footing with Thor Ragnarok
    8.5/10
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 25,122
    edited February 17
    How Much is Wakanda Worth?

“Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    I still keep thinking dude is a Thor cosplayer when I see the thumbnails.
    WAKANDA FOREVER!!!!
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I want the throne! Joined: Posts: 27,390
    edited February 17
    I wish Marvel still did the 10-15 minute shorts for the home releases for their movies. I want to see one with Shuri. Most of her scenes were hilarious.

Killmonger should have gotten more screentime.
    I think his character would have benefited by having more scenes of him to flesh him out and maybe see him actually rule as king. I think it would have cemented him if they did that. I feel I wasn't given enough.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • GravityGravity Joined: Posts: 2,479
    Man, what can I say? That movie was a breathe of fresh air.

First movie I've ever been to, where the audience gave a round of applause when the credits rolled.

Like others have said, it didn't have the best action scenes for a marvel movie, but the action was secondary to the story.

Everything else, actors, music, scenery....the overall atmosphere was fantastic

9.5/10
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Just saw it and damn fine film. I agree some of the fights weren't great but overall it was a awesome film.
    The only flaw being both Killmonger and Klaw both died. They were both great villains with Klaw being so fun on screen I felt bad when he got killed since that means no more Serkis in the MCU besides maybe motion capture.

Ross felt tacked on mostly

And thus was true to the character's original depiction minus more humiliation. Although the M'Baku scene with him was hilarious.

You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm in line and ppl wearing dashikis and shit.
  • ZatalconZatalcon Most hated man on SRK Joined: Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I loved the hell out of that movie. It was just different from the Marvel movies that have been out where some dude has gotten some massive fire power to destroy the world/universe and is now blowing up a city at the end and the hero has to stop him.

Killmonger IMO is currently my pick as the best MCU villain to date mainly because of how real he felt I understood why he was what he was and couldn't cast any blame on him. In fact, you can actually view the side of Wakanda as the villains because of Killmongers perspective being understandable.

The whole scenery, the language, and the actors were all top notch. The whole culture of Wakanda felt so real and so interesting that I couldn'

My complaint about the movie was the whole fight scene in that VR train station area. The CG was just fucked up and ugly looking.

I'm giving this a 9/10 for me.
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 18
    After a decade, Loki has finally lost his title.

There were a handful of moments in this movie where I was like "oh right, he's a superhero too". Those were my least favorite parts.

Shuri is a qt 3.14. Hope to see her in Avengers.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,939
    edited February 18
    After a decade, Loki has finally lost his title.

Damn, hadn't even thought of it in that way. Damn he would have made an awesome reoccurring character.
    Post edited by The Furious One on
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,567
    Bond-style Marvel is a pretty accurate description of it. Watched it yesterday and the hype was real. 8.5/10 imo.
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file