Blizzard Overwatch

Comments

• just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,726
    Eskills wrote: »
    The point is pro pick rate isn't factor for balance.

If we're really going keep arguing that mercy out of the entire cast is useless and needs a rework because of usage at these two tournies I'm at a loss for words.

Plenty of heroes are bad, but have something going for them. Junkrat and Torbjorn do SOMETHING another hero can't (or not nearly as well), but are currently too niche and out of the meta. Symmetra needed a rework because was forced to play passively, which meant she could only be broken one way or another. Mercy isn't as egregious of an offender, but I don't see how she could ever be on even footing with Ana short of nerfing/buffing one of them by an obscene amount.

And again, I'm not even saying that Mercy is useless, much like old Symmetra wasn't truly useless. But I don't think Blizzard wants a hero who is inferior to someone else at the one thing she's meant to do, and only appears as optional support for Pharah on the few maps Pharah is played. I've been saying Blizzard needs to take a hard look at Mercy for weeks now, and the evolution of the meta is just the manifestation of what I'm talking about. You've basically taken the attitude that almost any hero changes are bad with one of the following trains of logic:
    -X isn't useless, they're just niche! (old Symmetra)
    -Some heroes are only meant for low-level play and aren't worth buffing (Bastion, Torbjorn)
    -Pro usage doesn't matter, people at lower levels are fine with the hero (Mercy)

So tell me, what does it take for a hero to actually be bad? You keep saying things are fine at lower level, but we're talking about the place where triple DPS is common and people use Roadhog for a main tank. Pro play has a level of communication that represents what Blizzard actually intended for the game, in an environment where the only motive for picking anyone is increasing the chance of winning. It is the game at its purest form.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,090
    ^Preach.

Side note, I know I'm not the best shot, but McCree's damage drop off bothers me to no end. Soldier has better mobility to close in on people so the drop off doesn't even matter. Plus I can play healer with him part-time.

On the topic of GOTY, this is the last game of the nominees that I would give this too. Nuff said.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,929
    edited December 2016
    I don't use low level as an example or evidence of anything other than the fact Blizz won't buff torb/bastion or the amount a hero is played. Low level is a non factor, especially since it's almost always solo que.

My observations of balance come from master and grandmaster, actually playing with and against teams. I don't consider them low level, do you? I see every character played in some capacity and every character can function with a team.

Now addressing why pro pick rate doesn't matter with these usage list. It cherry picks it's statistics. The one you showed is from "2" tournaments. How can you use that for a basis to prove anything when they are so damn small? Just a weak ago she was in D then 2 weeks ago over half the cast was in F. You can't look at these list as gospel when they use small statistic pools that never show the entirety of pro play actually happening.

On top of that, usage doesn't fully explain why the characters are where they are. You want to talk about purest form what Blizz wants but forget they wanted counters to characters and teams switching to handle a situation, not buff and rework so they are ready to handle everything. Tank heavy comps, majority assault or koth, etc change usage. If a lot teams are picking tank comps but another support(i.e. Zen) counters them and gets the pick, how does that make the other obsolete? Common sense says it's simply a situation not meant for that character. Of course you bring up even footing talk. Guess its better to balance everyone to level playing field so there are no counters? That doesn't exist in any competitive gaming.

For a hero to be bad their kit cant work in any capacity or team comp. The only hero that's truly been bad was symmetra.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    This isn't about counters. The one thing Mercy exists to do, heal so much that you have to kill her first, is done better in many situations by Ana. I can't think of a team comp where you would have Mercy over Ana, or even with Ana. Part of it is the limited number of supports you can get away with per team (especially with Lucio being an auto-lock), but we're even seeing Pharah teams without a Mercy now.

Much like Symmetra, the only reason you would ever take Mercy is her ult to prevent situations where half your team gets wiped and you're defending at a numbers disadvantage. Until then, you're basically playing a worse Ana, which makes taking those horrible losses more likely. While Mercy is healing, Ana is healing even more and incapacitating people and preventing tanks from being healed and sniping.

At this point, Mercy's become a lot like Bastion; she does one thing really really well, but is completely reliant on her team to cover her and offers almost no utility to the team beyond that one thing which others can do without being so fragile.
  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,797
    I have a friend whos a supportmain and he preferes Mercy over Ana for a lot of reasons.
    The thing with viability talk is basicly that we talk about the highest level, but don't play on the highest level.

Soldier is good now and I saw more than once people calling him op now, while I don't think he is op,but in a realy good spot.
    (for me personalyit's awesome,because I'm 200% more effective with him now)
    If you soloqueu like me, you have to be ready to get the worst team of all time every god damn match. I often get teamcomps with 3 Snipers on offence in Platniumleague(yes I finaly made it out of Gold,shortly before the season ended) and there are sometimes situations were that shit works.
    Would it work at the highest level? Hell no, there would be a Winston/D.Va shredding the Snipers like there is no tomorrow. Will it work in regular comp? There is a chance that it will work.
    I even maneged it once to win as solotank with 1 support and 4dps against the Tankmeta of a full team of 6 and my whole team was randoms.

The golden rule for comp is simplay to play your best hero.
    Need a dps? Pick your best dps.
    Need a tank? Pick your best tank.
    Need a support? Pick your best support or Lucio, since everyone and everything can play Lucio.
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy, Rose
    Tekken: When's Jun? , Asuka
    Guilty Gear: Ramlethal, Jack-O

My SFV Cammyguide!
    edited December 2016
    It doesn't matter if Ana brings more damage and healing, she doesn't bring the threat of a team fight being turned around with Rez when you're playing defense. They aren't used for the same thing. No other support does what she can do.

You may not see a use for mercy, but that's not saying much since you don't play with a coordinated team.

Shame this threads keeps going back to the same circle jerk with usage tiers and viability. Mercy is like bastion now? Smh
  • p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,567
    I'm indifferent about this but you can't insult people and say they don't use a coordinated team. But complain that they are citing pro play in their analysis for mercy
    That's just iffy
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,389
    edited December 2016
    I have two things to say:
    - the argument that Mercy brings nothing more to the game compared to other healers is plainly wrong. Her rez is a totally unique ability that nobody else has and grants her a focus 100% of the time. Granted her streams work exactly like Zen's orbs at a shorter range (with the right click being worse than discord orb), so if they wanna change anything they might add some more benefit to that.
    - usage at pro level will ALWAYS favour some characters compared to others because of the nature of the competition. That is true for fighting games and that is even more true for a team game where synergies between heroes are so important. When everyone tries to go for THE best comp to win there are inevitably many heroes that will be left behind. The winning comps will force everyone else to adapt to that - if they're running triple or quadruple tank you WILL play Zen, no matter how strong nanoboost is (or was).

If we really want to buff Mercy again I think there are two things they can change. First, as I said her main abilities need some added benefit to them - I like the idea of her being able to remove debuffs, either with the right click or an E. Right now there's no hero that can do that so it will make her totally unique (unless they're planning to give that ability to another new support). Second, now that all ultimate costs have been decreased and people will not build a new ult at every team fight they can make her ult charge slightly faster so that she's almost sure to have it for the next one. This ensures that if they don't kill the Mercy preemptively they might waste every ult for nothing.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken [MvCI] Thanos/Cap Marvel (Time)
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
  • HollowbladeHollowblade Joined: Posts: 1,594
    I think Eskills is seeing it in a better pov. At higher levels ana does outheal mercy but your aim needs to be on point. Also ana is useless if your team has no good ulti targets or is too small (genji,tracer maybe sombra.) mercy as stated is great if you feel your team cant quite hold the point. A rez is totally devastating and can be really hard to shutdown. A nanoboost is fairly easy to shutdown if your comp is right. All heros are situational, there are times where i feel evem lucio is sorta useless. Many times where zen just doesnt work. The pros use tHat which is most effective and consistent, ana when aim is great is more efficient. I always felt on console soldier was better 90% of the time since 99% of mccrees cant constantly dome everything yet everyone wanted to be pro meta and spammed the shit outta mccrre many times providing very little dps since they hit 1 out of 6 shots.. Does that make mccree bad? Or did thst make soldier actually better? Neither, soldier wasnt used due to his spread lowering his dps at high level. However on console if you can land 1 out of every 3-4 shots is better than landing 0 with mccree even tho mccree was actually the better hero pre soldier buff.

Mercy is awesome for players who cant aim, she gets her job done. Just cus she doesnt get picked at high level doesnt mean shes at all bad. She just doesnt fit THAT playstyle and meta.playing in diamond/master i always see mercys and many times they win the game for their teams with a clutch rez or some good foot work staying alive. She is far from the worst character. No changes really needed tbh.
    Rez is good, no doubt, but placing that much stock in being one of the last people on the team alive is a bad idea when you have a giant target on your head. Your team could babysit you the whole match hoping for a Rez, or you could pick any other healer and not be a liability.
    edited December 2016
    I'm indifferent about this but you can't insult people and say they don't use a coordinated team. But complain that they are citing pro play in their analysis for mercy
    That's just iffy

I don't consider that an insult. How can you cite what you see and it have any validity when you don't play in way that can optimize any hero?

Citing pro play is fine except If you're just looking at the usage from two tournaments as evidence that a character needs a rework, again I'm dumbfounded. It's not a month of pro tournies or even a week of them, just two. Even when they are a week or more they usually favor a region. I'd like to see overbuff do only Korean or other regions besides us/eu for a month. No character would be in F tier, easily.

Also every support has a target on their head. If you're in the position to kill any of them, you will and they get babysat and protected by their team. Dead supports = lost team fight
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,518
    The point is pro pick rate isn't factor for balance.

If we're really going keep arguing that mercy out of the entire cast is useless and needs a rework because of usage at these two tournies I'm at a loss for words.

Folks calling Mercy useless until it's time for those heals and revives haha.
    But seriously, I have played with some "useless" Mercy according to my teammates. (I'm also one of those useless Mercy players imo)
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,584
    That's just iffy

I don't consider that an insult. How can you cite what you see and it have any validity when you don't play in way that can optimize any hero?

Citing pro play is fine except If you're just looking at the usage from two tournaments as evidence that a character needs a rework, again I'm dumbfounded. It's not a month of pro tournies or even a week of them, just two. Even when they are a week or more they usually favor a region. I'd like to see overbuff do only Korean or other regions besides us/eu for a month. No character would be in F tier, easily.

Also every support has a target on their head. If you're in the position to kill any of them, you will and they get babysat and protected by their team. Dead supports = lost team fight

It's more than 2 months though, she's been amongst the lowest used for close to 6 months now and in the past 2 months she has had no usage. That's more of a trend if anything
    edited December 2016
    That's just iffy

It's more than 2 months though, she's been amongst the lowest used for close to 6 months now and in the past 2 months she has had no usage. That's more of a trend if anything

Show me the list where mercy has no usage.

Her seeing less play as the meta moves towards tanks and kill pressure makes sense. Doesn't mean she needs a rework.

But don't blatantly make shit up. Show evidence where she is no play whatsoever for two months.
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,584
    Didnt someone just post it?
    edited December 2016
    Didnt someone just post it?

Dude that list is from two tournaments like I have been saying. Just 2. Only 2. Data collected from TWO tournaments.
    That's just iffy

But it assumes that they dont play on good teams themselves
    your saying that your the only person that plays on good teams
    just seems eh...
    mind you i do think that mercy has her uses in terms of more intimate support so i cant summarily dismiss her as being bad
    ana doesn't have her damage boost and doesn't have the mobility she has in terms of following the person you are healing.

mind you i dont think any character should be used for one nitch

you want mercy to be useful in the field beyond rez because if you are only using her for that then then shes not a good character
    the archtype for symmetra proved that theory
    "oh shes useful for teleport"

complete overhaul of character months later
    edited December 2016
    I never said I'm the only one that plays on good teams. He himself has said he plays low level console solo que...

Mercy is not in the same place as pre patch symmetra. Only symmetra teleporter was good. Everything in mercys kit is good.

Base argument was after the showing in these two specific tournaments mercy is useless and needs a rework. I'm sorry but that's completely fucking false and a misuse of the info in the list.

Also since you're posting again, if symmetra stays F tier despite her rework is another needed?
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,833
    Instead of changing Mercy too much, maybe they should look at introducing maps/modes that would do more to favor her mobility advantage over Ana?
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,220
    Mercy is fine you silly geese.

"You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    I never said I'm the only one that plays on good teams. He himself has said he plays low level console solo que...

Mercy is not in the same place as pre patch symmetra. Only symmetra teleporter was good. Everything in mercys kit is good.

Base argument was after the showing in these two specific tournaments mercy is useless and needs a rework. I'm sorry but that's completely fucking false and a misuse of the info in the list.

Also since you're posting again, if symmetra stays F tier despite her rework is another needed?

no i agree mercy has things she does that the other healers dont so she still should be useful I still think that a mercy constantly following you is more effective then a ana a constant stream of healing/damage boost plus mobility still make her a good asset to have in the back pocket idc that ana shooting heals more per second she cant keep up with the character if they decide to alternate their straits and or they go into another area. out of vision of the her sight.

as for symmetra im not sure it depends on ow powerful her new shield is. when i was bitching about damage and turret cooldown you had a bunch of people talking about changes to the photon shield. if she still sucks shit then they need to put for focus on her offensive attributes... wish the patch would come out for consoles already
    See that's what I don't get.

The game is super offensive already, we don't need more offense.

Definitely one of the reasons I'm so against changes. They always steam from A does no damage, B needs more damage, C doesn't do damage fast enough, etc.

Don't think peeps realize that their want for balance will not be solved with more offensive pressure. If anything the more offensive options that get added are having the opposite effect.

Want balance fine, but I think people aren't looking at it the right way. We need defensive options that make a difference and aren't too set up heavy. More maps and game types would likely help to.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,594 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck that more offense bitches!!!

But seriously, how fast can mercy switch to and from her gun? I feel like if they slightly increase the damage on that and let her switch off quicker to she can be flying and shooting in the air that would make her pretty sick. Also someone said D.VA got buffed again? That is hilarious if it is true. Can't wait to put teleporters in front of moving cars.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    http://helloracist.com/
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,832
    If Mercy had higher damage people would pick her for a DPS slot. The blaster already does a ton of damage
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    See that's what I don't get.

The game is super offensive already, we don't need more offense.

Definitely one of the reasons I'm so against changes. They always steam from A does no damage, B needs more damage, C doesn't do damage fast enough, etc.

Don't think peeps realize that their want for balance will not be solved with more offensive pressure. If anything the more offensive options that get added are having the opposite effect.

Want balance fine, but I think people aren't looking at it the right way. We need defensive options that make a difference and aren't too set up heavy. More maps and game types would likely help to.

I said it depends on her shield capabilities.
    It could look cool now and then in mere weeks that shit could be dispatched easily.

I like defensive options as well but you have to make them good.

Other then disengaging, healing and meis self preservation the defensive options mostly suck. There's a reason offensive heroes were used for defense on a lot of maps.

That's also attributed to the fact that mobility for characters is lacking as well.

I'm only saying this to say that for all intents and purposes I mostly agree with you I just think that blizzard needs
    to get even more creative. Matches look interesting in the pros but that's more so to Korean dominance that shows/forces creativity I.e Winston destroying everyone. It's not because the design is that sharp.

Make more defensive options but make
    them good that way balance will gradually help itself.
    Btw Mercy is the most high priority of all healers. An entire team will ignore any other healer as long as Mercy is still in play. You really gotta protect the bitch.

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • XhominidXhominid Knight of Dizzy Joined: Posts: 512
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Real talk I zero in on every healer. I never understood how these people kill everyone around mercy and then just let her ult.

Story of my life most of the time...

But I got into something that's been bugging me because I thought it was an obvious answer but I really couldn't find one.

Does Soldier 76 even have a counter? Even a soft one by chance? Because the only one is Genji and that's if Genji can deflect his Helix Rockets at him but otherwise, I'm drawing blanks.
    Xhominid wrote: »
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Real talk I zero in on every healer. I never understood how these people kill everyone around mercy and then just let her ult.

Story of my life most of the time...

But I got into something that's been bugging me because I thought it was an obvious answer but I really couldn't find one.

Does Soldier 76 even have a counter? Even a soft one by chance? Because the only one is Genji and that's if Genji can deflect his Helix Rockets at him but otherwise, I'm drawing blanks.

Realistically? No hard counters because his kit is so general. That said, any hero who is really dominant at a specific range/situation can leverage that against him. Mei, Roadhog, and Reaper can make sure he dies up close and have the tools to avoid dying themselves. Widowmaker and Hanzo just need a good headshot since he only has 200 HP and no special mobility/shield options. Tanks in general are not advised as Helix + headshots let him melt even D.Va, but blocking his ult is pretty good.

The most important thing I can say about fighting him is not to get into a war of attrition. Soldier is one of the few DPS options with self-healing, so going back and forth with him is a very bad idea.
    edited December 2016
    Soldier's counters are everyone who can manage to get close to him and either flank him or tank, because his gun is much are much more reliable at a mid-far range than at close one (where McCree wrecks everyone) and unless he gets a clear shot of helix rockets he will have a hard time against a Tracer blinking around him. Winston can give him a hard time too if he gets a jump on him and he's a favorite target for Roadhog's hook.
    Soldier is one of the few DPS options with self-healing

You mean other than Tracer, Reaper, Sombra and Roadhog?
    Soldier's counters are everyone who can manage to get close to him and either flank him or tank, because his gun is much are much more reliable at a mid-far range than at close one (where McCree wrecks everyone) and unless he gets a clear shot of helix rockets he will have a hard time against a Tracer blinking around him. Winston can give him a hard time too if he gets a jump on him and he's a favorite target for Roadhog's hook.
    Soldier is one of the few DPS options with self-healing

You mean other than Tracer, Reaper, Sombra and Roadhog?

For the purposes of an extended fight, yes. Sombra needs to play around health packs, Tracer's is more of a "Second Wind", and Reaper has to get a kill to heal in the first place. Roadhog can definitely keep up in extended fights, albeit his heal leaves him very vulnerable.

Reaper doesn't need to kill, he gets an orb for every enemy slain by your team, and he's more tanky than the other offense DPS anyway. Tracer's recall has less CD than biotic field and can heal all damage instantly on top of removing debuffs.
    The only true advantage of biotic field is that it can heal all allies around him, which allows him to play a support role on top of being a DPS. But you can argue that Sombra does that too.
    Med packs are usually away from firefight areas, requiring people to go away from the team to heal on Sombras health packs. Soldier can drop a field anywhere he wants thatll heal up 200 HP which is great in a pinch.

You're fighting a 2v2 on a point because the other 8 players are either all dead or on the way from spawn. You've both taken damage. The other guy is a soldier. Would you rather have a soldier drop you a 200 health boost, or have a Sombra tell you to go get a health pack?

Tracer doesn't recover all health. She recovers any damage taken in the past 3 seconds. So if you wait too long you can wind up with a funky number like 112HP or something.

Reapers orbs are almost always in a combat area where you have to wraith form to collect then or you taken damage in the process.

Lets not act like Soldier doesn't have the best healing option in the game for not being a support.

I wasn't talking about how good his heal is. I was talking about whether he's the only DPS with self-heal or not.
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,518
    I remain from using terms such as "broken", "cheap" or "OP" because I believe every character and tactic have counters, but Soldier...dude can sprint in and out of combat, flank, retreat to self-heal, and has a considerable amount of damage. Adding to that, his ultimate doesn't really require aiming and can lock onto multiple targets (though granted all you have to do is hide). He's a pretty strong character, though I can't call him braindead because I use D.Va (just hold down the shoot button and spray for your life).

Constant losses with friends have made us rather tilted (lately it's just snapping at randoms or each other). I'm trying to determine what I'm doing wrong (other than becoming overzealous offensively with the wrong characters or targeting the wrong ones as a Tank, or just not being cautious or staying out of sight as Mercy or in general) even though 90% of the time, I'm healing as Mercy or Ana, setting up turrets and teleporters as Symmetra on the point (depending on the map and point), attempting to flank or take out squishes as Winston or D.Va and self-destructing to clear some space as the latter.

As for my teammates, one will goes on his own constantly and make himself a target as Pharah and then complains about not having backup or being taken by everyone constantly. It's a genuine complaint, but if I constantly telling him to fall back for a bit so I can fly up and heal him and doesn't, I don't know what to do other than to take that risk and jump in the fight (which is usually). As the primary support player, I don't think I'm doing much or at all aside from constantly healing and damage/nano boosting.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    I feel the only support that can carry bad teammates is Zenyatta. The others require team to be at the very least competent in the role they are performing.

Don't try to fix bad habits or argue mid match. Before you load into the que discuss problem habits, the type of Strats/team comps you'll use, and the proficiencies of each player with their mains/secondaries.

Communication is everything.
    You should have no issue in healing a Pharah with either Ana (if she's an easy target for your opponents she should be an even easier target for you) or Mercy (you should follow her in the sky as much as possible) though. If you can't support her consistently with those healers you might consider to pick Zen instead, since putting the orb on her is much easier.
    edited December 2016
    Seriously consider learning Zen and put the team on your back.

Also consider that while you may like playing support try switching it up. Put them dps pants on and let someone else heal. While my main and second are Zen/Hanzo, I can switch Widow, mcree and Soldier if needed. Also its almost always the dps that hold a team back.