Blizzard Overwatch

Comments

• XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,737
    edited April 17
    I've never really noticed an issue with SR gain in comp as a healer but that's probably because I usually play Lucio/Zen, the best killers of the 4 healers.

Post edited by XthAtGAm3RGuYX on
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,829
    How do I know if I'm doing a good job as Pharah? sometimes I feel like I hardly kill anything, just damaging it with splash damage.
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It has been said for awhile if you want to gain rank you have to play DPS, HOTS is the same way and Blizz uses roughly the same formula. Kills, wins and damage are all the matters, rest of the stats are meaningless.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 942
    How do I know if I'm doing a good job as Pharah? sometimes I feel like I hardly kill anything, just damaging it with splash damage.

Hard to say. If there was a 'how much fun are you having?' percentage above your opponents heads you'd be doing a great job if it was at 0%.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,002
    In some maps you better not play Pharah at all. Hanamura B is the first one that comes to mind.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
  • VhoziteVhozite Awaiting Egyptian Goddess Joined: Posts: 2,713
    So how do you guys feel about the new change to 2CP?

Personally I love it because I've gotten no draws and the situations I've seen have made the game more varied. Before I never really saw an entire team play on point or someone use Sombra to try and instacap when you only need a small amount.
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Joined: Posts: 3,488
    So diminishing returns for win or lose streaks now?
    I'd like 2CP to either count ticks or at least to start at 33% instead of 0.5%. The way it is right now it leaves almost no room for tactics or positioning if you didn't manage to cap on attack.
    itzpookiie wrote: »

yes
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo

What?
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    Reading the post this sounds like a good thing. What's the big deal?
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,911
    jae hoon wrote: »
    It has been said for awhile if you want to gain rank you have to play DPS, HOTS is the same way and Blizz uses roughly the same formula. Kills, wins and damage are all the matters, rest of the stats are meaningless.

On fire matters for SR if you win. It's hard to do but I solo queued to SR 70 in Season One as Reinhardt. I also hit Master season 2 in Duo mostly with a Zen still playing Reinhardt and Winston on KoTH. You can do it, it's just a lot easier to win games if you're getting kills. Same in a MOBA, easier to rank as the mid or ADC in solo.
    edited April 18
    Statistics make no sense. Playing solo should technically give you a 50:50 win ratio all the time and yet here I am, losing seven times in a row and God knows how many SR in the process. Wonder if I'll manage to drop to silver this Season, I was Platinum in S2 and S3.
    Post edited by Maryokutai on
    edited April 18
    What they mean by putting you into a situation where you have a 50:50 chance to win or lose is that the game tries not to put anyone at disadvantage from the very beginning, so that winning or losing will depend purely on the skill of every player. It's up to you and your teammates to turn that 50% into a 60% or 80%.

btw I finally broke my fear of comp and started solo queueing with Pharah. I'm kinda surprised by the level of cooperation of my teammates so far in mid Gold. I only lost one because of a leaver.
    On a side note, half of my teammates on NA were Brits. Many people must've watched that Stylosa vid lol

P.S. has anyone noticed that they changed the color of Sombra's hacked health packs from blue to purple?
    Post edited by OceanMachine on
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Remember me now, Yipes? Joined: Posts: 7,471
    Serious question, how do you guys handle Pharah in comp? I know most people rely on 76 or McCree, but they don't have nearly the kind of advantage to put your team ahead in that fight. Widow is way harder to run (and sucks, especially on console with me), and D.Va can only really delay Pharah from getting value rather than outright deny her.

I've had some success in QP trying to fight Pharah with Sombra, and hear me out. Pharah relies on her jump jet ability to stay airborne indefinitely. Most Pharahs will activate this ability around the bottom of their flight arc, when the fuel runs out. If Sombra can hack her around that time, Pharah suddenly has to land, generally into Sombra's waiting arms (ie. bullets). What's even cooler is that you can also do this on a Pharmercy by targeting the Mercy first. Since Mercy needs Guardian Angel to keep flying back to Pharah, hacking her will effectively separate the two. Mercy can try stalling through the hack with her float, but if she does that too much she becomes a really easy target. Once Mercy is down, you have time to rinse and repeat with Pharah, staggering their deaths as a bonus.
    In my experience as Pharah, Genji is by far the most annoying hero to deal with. His movement is hardly predictable as he can double jump or dash in any direction and by the time you manage to land a single rocket he will probably have dealt you enough damage to finish you off with swift strike. Let's not talk about the fact that he can deny your rockets by deflecting them at you and make you kill yourself.
    The 2nd best counter is D.va, as she can shut down both rockets and ult as well as harass you and chase you if you're low on health. Sure you can force her to use up all her matrix by focusing on her, but her teammates will come help her at some point.
    One hitscan isn't really an issue to deal with for Pharah because they have much less mobility than you and low health. The problems start when you have 2 or more hitscans on you or any equivalent (Torb/Symmetra turrets).

One thing I'm sure of is that Sombra is not a counter by any means - she won't disable neither Pharah's flight nor her rockets. If a Sombra is in range to hack a Pharah she's also in the ideal range to take a rocket right in her face. The only thing you can do if she's in the open is hack her and translocate while your teammates finish her off, supposing of course she's not getting healed by anyone, but in a 1v1 Sombra doesn't stand a chance.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    What they mean by putting you into a situation where you have a 50:50 chance to win or lose is that the game tries not to put anyone at disadvantage from the very beginning, so that winning or losing will depend purely on the skill of every player. It's up to you and your teammates to turn that 50% into a 60% or 80%.

No, what I meant was that, if you play solo you get random teammates and random opponents every time, all inside the same range of skill (more or less, points-system isn't perfet). So technically if you play like you always do (again: placement matches put you there) you should technically win every second game because there are no variables present to either drag your team down or elevate your opponents. Maybe I'll win seven games in a row tonight to rebalance things out but I hardly doubt it.

Also, for Pharah, I think her best counters on Defense are Torb and Bastion, at least in the Gold/Platinum range. Gives her something to think about and focus on instead of just being able to brainlessly fire rockets at the red outlines on the ground. Torb turret with a pocket shield from Orisa is a pretty decent combination, but of course you're losing the tank spot for Roadhog or Zarya in that scenario.
    edited April 19

btw I finally broke my fear of comp and started solo queueing with Pharah. I'm kinda surprised by the level of cooperation of my teammates so far in mid Gold. I only lost one because of a leaver.
    On a side note, half of my teammates on NA were Brits. Many people must've watched that Stylosa vid lol

P.S. has anyone noticed that they changed the color of Sombra's hacked health packs from blue to purple?

Same ever since my conquest to Plat
    I still have restrictions though
    Ive been getting A LOT of wins playing before 7pm on weekdays
    A SHIT TON of losses on weekend/weekday nights
    It could be coincidence but that's how it's been for the past 2 weeks

Monday you msg'd me about comp, I won like 6 games and didnt lose a single one
    Sadly that only netted me 17-20 SR per game even as DPS
    Yesterday I lost 1 match and lost 30SR. I won the next one and only gained 20SR

I dont know what the calculations for SR are but damn it feels bad lol
    Serious question, how do you guys handle Pharah in comp? I know most people rely on 76 or McCree, but they don't have nearly the kind of advantage to put your team ahead in that fight. Widow is way harder to run (and sucks, especially on console with me), and D.Va can only really delay Pharah from getting value rather than outright deny her.

I've had some success in QP trying to fight Pharah with Sombra, and hear me out. Pharah relies on her jump jet ability to stay airborne indefinitely. Most Pharahs will activate this ability around the bottom of their flight arc, when the fuel runs out. If Sombra can hack her around that time, Pharah suddenly has to land, generally into Sombra's waiting arms (ie. bullets). What's even cooler is that you can also do this on a Pharmercy by targeting the Mercy first. Since Mercy needs Guardian Angel to keep flying back to Pharah, hacking her will effectively separate the two. Mercy can try stalling through the hack with her float, but if she does that too much she becomes a really easy target. Once Mercy is down, you have time to rinse and repeat with Pharah, staggering their deaths as a bonus.

I dont know the struggles of console but soldier and mccree do just fine for me
    I usually have no trouble taking down pharah with soldier/mccree/widow depending on map and which range shes playing at

2655 now
    trying to hit diamond now
    QP feels like a waste of time now other than getting warmed up for comp
    It's not a coincidence. Evening or weekends is when schoolkids or casual players play the game, while on mornings, early afternoons or late at night you find mostly college students or workers on their day off who are more dedicated to the game.
    I watched GM streams and even they tend to lose a lot more during weekends.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    When does the event end?
    May 2
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    2655 now
    trying to hit diamond now
    QP feels like a waste of time now other than getting warmed up for comp

I haven't touched QP since the introduction of competitive. Trying to have 'fun' with two Genjis and two Hanzos on your team is impossible.

That said I'd love to get back into Platinum. I feel like that was the perfect rank for me. People knew what they were doing, some were worse than me, some were better and most had a solid grasp of map-dependant team building.
    Gold is just a joke by comparison. You can see that your opponents have no idea what they're doing but you're still losing since your team has no clue either. Some people might be sick FPS guys that can aim way better then me but Zen can't solo-heal two tanks FFS.
    People in gold on PC usually know their role and have decent aim with hitscans, but they tend to have bad positioning and get easily disoriented against unusual setups or very strong play. Just do your job and give them inputs on what to do and they're fine.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    I'm on console, life's a different story there. I just lost a game in which the enemy Reinhardt rode on the payload to victory after knocking me (Mercy) out while my entire team was chasing around some Genji on the other side of the map.

No amount of communication can fix missing brain cells.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754425436#post-1

2CP will now require to get at least the first tick (33%) in order for the point to be considered as capped.
    Blizzard actually listens to us omg
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
  • XhominidXhominid Knight of Dizzy Joined: Posts: 499
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754425436#post-1

2CP will now require to get at least the first tick (33%) in order for the point to be considered as capped.
    Blizzard actually listens to us omg

I'd still rather they either allow more openings into the 2nd Defense part of the map or move the spawn point of Defense slightly further away than these small things.

The Offense team is basically penalized for not basically waiting for ultimates and hoping for the best and only able to do small picks.
    The balance shift from point A to point B isn't a bad thing. On point A, you can go with more of a pick-centric style (Roadhog, snipers) to leverage your spawn advantage. Once you get to point B, ult coordination and sustainability (healing/tanking) become a bigger deal for the attackers. This is reversed for the defending team.
  • FrozteyFroztey The Ascended One Joined: Posts: 8,461 mod
    I've been wanting to add Genji to my hero pool, but I've never touched a flanker character before.

New Lucio is insane also.
    God I got matched with a Master Ana in QP (yep, apparently Blizzard has a high opinion of my current MMR), the pressure was insane. I couldn't even peek slightly that she already landed 2 shots on me. I really had to dive her when she was distracted to get the kill. Can't imagine what a nightmare it was to main Pharah when Ana had 80 dmg shots.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    Froztey wrote: »
    I've been wanting to add Genji to my hero pool, but I've never touched a flanker character before.

New Lucio is insane also.

Just remember to pick your battles and you'll be fine. Flankers have the mobility to get at enemy supports, and that's exactly what you should do.
    edited April 20
    I played Reaper for the first time yesterday in a KotH game. Dude's crazy, I was killing people left and right and was able to blow two or three Ults per round. I can see now why everyone was flocking to him when the game came out. Roadhog and Soldier were the only characters that demanded some respect, everyone else is cannon fodder if you get the drop on them.

Also that was kinda my suggestion for an easy flanker. Genji is really hard to play well.
    Sombra is pretty viable now but takes a lot of practice.
    FrostyAU wrote: »

There are way way better picks
    Everybody is a good pick if you know how to make it work.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    FrostyAU wrote: »

There are way way better picks

It depends on what they're running but if they have Hog and Zarya plus potentially another tank she's much better than Genji. She's especially good on KoTH maps. HappyGilmore played her to Grand Master top 50
    Most top players I've heard agree she's pretty bad on KotH because there's a lack of poking phases where you can build her ult.
    She's amazing to cap the first point on 2CP/hybrid however.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    She comes at you from odd angles due to stealth, does large bursts of damage and disappears. Her Ult wrecks your strategies. She's very good in the hands of a strong player. Like Wonga, dude mains Junkrat hit over 4k on him in solo. Characters are only not viable if you're versing the wrong team comp or you're bad.
    As I said, everything is viable in the right hands. That doesn't mean that KotH Torb is good because there are top 500 Torb OTPs. Some picks will always be better than others in some maps.
    In her case specifically, all she could do in KotH is done better by Tracer. You won't even be able to build EMP most of the time and it's not as effective as when you cap a point on 2CP.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    Tracer doesn't hurt their teams heals while helping yours and her pulse bomb has very different applications to Sombra's Ult. The fact you said you can't build her Ult most of the time means you're either terrible with the character or never played a good one.
    In what KotH maps exactly do you have a health pack where fights take place? Not in Nepal. Not in Ilios (save the small one behind the point at Lighthouse). Not in Oasis. Only in Lijang Night Market and Control Center you might have a chance. So no, you won't build ult as fast as in capture points and you won't help your team by providing them heals. You might be able to sneak in and hack key targets, but teams in KotH are even more packed than in the other game modes, and for the same reason they will also mostly have access to their own heals.
    Her damage output is half of what Tracer is capable of. Her ult doesn't give kills by itself, while Pulse Bomb is a guaranteed kill most of the time.

And again, it's not me who says she's not that good on KotH. Alphacast (captain of the French team for OW World Cup) played her a lot since launch and he said she's difficult to play on KotH for the reasons above.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    Sombra works wonders in mobile or ranged teams that can maintain easy access to a health pack. For example, think about dive on Anubis A. If things get bad, Winston and Genji are able to just leave the point and fall back to where Sombra hacked. If anyone short of Roadhog tries to fight Winston on top of that, you're all but guaranteeing Sombra will have an EMP. KotH can be annoying given how the health packs are placed, but Oasis and to a lesser degree Lijiang have some choice spots.

The big problem is trying to force her as a DPS. She's a utility support, more akin to Symmetra/Torb/Lucio/Zenyatta than Tracer/Genji. Utility supports in general require the team to capitalize on their strengths. In Sombra's case, you need cheeky burst DPS like Roadhog or Hanzo who are really hard to deal with while hacked. Also, Sombra/Zarya is one of the most underrated duos in the game right now.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,060
    I keep getting the worst teammates.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    edited April 20
    matched with the same thrower 3 matches in a row
    how fucking fun
    im losing 30SR per match and winning 17SR per match
    What's special about Sombra/Zarya, or are you referring to grav/EMP?
    Vhozite wrote: »

Grav/EMP, bubbling Sombra while she hacks, taking down barriers for a charged Zarya to do work, using Zarya's health pool to farm EMP...

There's some real synergy there imo.
    Yeah, absolutely nothing that was already known day 1 of Sombra release
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,737
    Vhozite wrote: »

Grav/EMP, bubbling Sombra while she hacks, taking down barriers for a charged Zarya to do work, using Zarya's health pool to farm EMP...

There's some real synergy there imo.

Grab/emp is great
    Bubbling Sombra is a great way to make sure the opponents focus her for the rest of the game on sight
    You should be taking down barriers whether or not your team has a Zarya

How do you farm emp on Zarya? You farm the fat tanks dude. Big, hard to miss bodies, and very little defensive capability.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho