Blizzard Overwatch

Comments

• Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Well, the thing is there are multiple characters for the same "class" so you can choose which medic you like, the angel chick vs robot monk for instance

e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,205
    They may as well be character classes... except they just have names instead of soldier, medic, etc. It's more or less the same thing.

I'm guessing there will be CTF modes, as I absolutely hate control point maps.

Love the linear control point/attack defend maps on TF2. CP_Dustbowl was all I played for a long time. I greatly dislike the control point maps where you're running back and forth.

Horrible.

If Blizzard can balance the Dwarf not to be OP, this has a chance. Engineers could make or break your team in TF2. A well placed Engy setup was always a pain to deal with. Forced me to learn Demoman.
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Using reaper, I could easily teleport behind sentries/bastions to take them out which was fun

e$ports
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 2014
    Pimp Willy wrote: »
    Well, the thing is there are multiple characters for the same "class" so you can choose which medic you like, the angel chick vs robot monk for instance

I wouldn't say "role" = "class" though. It's more like each character class has a role to play. I mean Symmetra is support but she doesn't heal at all. Mercy is pretty much purely a medic while Zenyatta is a mix of offensive and defensive support.

Engineers weren't OP in TFC since sentry guns could actually be "one shot" with a coordinated attack. TF2 is whatever cus that game is supposed to be clowny as fuck. Overwatch looks like it can cater to casuals pretty well but has enough depth to possibly be competitive.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,882
    Sounds like semantics to me.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Sounds like semantics to me.

Uh... no? Role = broad . Class = specific.
  • owattjacobowattjacob Joined: Posts: 3,339
    edited November 2014
    There's a lot of different tools and a shit load of mobility options now.

Also on that topic, it makes me think. Would Hanzo's ult potentially plowing through turrets through walls be a good option or do turrets have resistance to that... hm.

If it one shots it then that should help a bunch with breaking down turret stacking.
    All depends on how Ults are handled. Do they have cooldowns? Do you need to build meter for them? Do you get them right out the gate upon spawning or do you need to meet certain requirements first?
    They get built from dealing and taking damage, have them from the get go, I think it persisted through death too if you didn't use it

e$ports
  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,599
    Also it's in the early stages guys. :-/
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    Just read the character ability descriptions from Blizzard's siteand here are some notes:

-Tracer's rewind time ability restores not just her position on the map, but also health and ammo I can see that as being super clutch, but I'm curious if something kills her instantly can she still rewind time out of it?
    -She can combo shift onto an enemy, stick them with a bomb, and then shift or rewind time out to a safe distance not sure which that's pretty GDLK

-Reaper seems like a better Tracer with his wraith ability being a better shift as wraith from allows 5 seconds of invincibility and free movement. and his teleport has longer startup and recovery, but goes just about anywhere I see him being the ultimate kill stealer with his 360 shot ability+teleport lol, people are going to fucking hate anyone who mains him lol

-Widomaker will probably be more useful than snipers in most other shooters since has a grapling hook to get to the best camping spots or just get the fuck out if someone closes in on her and a machine gun to use in close combat and her see enemies through walls abilities extends to teammates LOL that's free kills for everyone.

-Winston is obviously a strong close range character being a fucking gorilla with a tesla cannon, but I'm not sure how easy it will be for him to close the distance unless he can use that awesome jump pack frequently, and team shield will be OP as fuck in king of the hill mode

-Pharah looks like she will be one of the best and most popular characters, she has probably the best mobility and her rocket launcher looks fucking deadly

-Reinhardt looks too fucking OP lol, just watch this:

-Symmetra's abilities are all too team based to form even an early opinion on, I think she'll be useful when you want to kill an enemy without having to switch your own character

-Torbjörn looks like he sucks until, he can build a turret o na choke point and repair safely, then your team basically controls that part of the map as his molten core ability even kills Reinhardt's shield

-Bastion looks fun, but a little underpowered as his shield only tanks 1000 damage when in gun form and it's only forward facing compared to Reinhardt's shield which lets him stay mobile and tanks 1800 damage

-Hanzo looks super fun all his abilities looks useful whether alone or in a team fight definitely going to be a popular pick

-Mercy can fucking ressurect teammates nuff said @Neesa‌ should be happy

-Zenyatta looks really fun, he can be a medic, or amplify damage opponents take and can be invincible while healing definitely going to be fun to use

Everyone looks cool and unique it's hard to pick a favorite at this point, but Reaper definitely has my attention I've always liked characters who can phase through shit.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Bastion lays down some god damn major fire though whereas reinheardts shield is purely defensive. 1k armor while taking fire is plenty. He only dies to teleports, rockets, or hanzos bounce arrows getting around the shield. Or anybody who manages to get behind him.

e$ports
  • FullMetalRossFullMetalRoss That Hurt! Liar... Joined: Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I like the way you can think up cool combos to beat certain options, like reinhardt + teleporter is the obvious way to beat turrets and such just walk behind shield till teleport range. The team hasn't gone TOOO crazy with any of the powers so balancing doesn't seem to be a problem as of right now. I think this will be the new tf2 and I am pumped, tf2 got to be too much after f2p just not as much fun anymore.
    <<>>
  • drwill439drwill439 I'll never understand. Joined: Posts: 2,953
    I like the way you can think up cool combos to beat certain options, like reinhardt + teleporter is the obvious way to beat turrets and such just walk behind shield till teleport range. The team hasn't gone TOOO crazy with any of the powers so balancing doesn't seem to be a problem as of right now.

I agree to a point. I think this is gonna be TF2 with more options. In TF2, you know what to expect (generally) from each class. With Overwatch having MOBA elements (tons of characters with multiple abilities (and quick cooldowns, IIRC)), it mixes things up a bit. You aren't looking much at the classes any more, but you are paying attention to the characters that are on your team and the enemy's team.
    Steam: [PCFL]Dr. Will Xbox 360/One: DrW1ll439
    PSN: drwill439 CFN:WKA439 (PS4) or drwill439(Steam)
    Unless respawn times are instant, I doubt Tracer can rewind back to the spot she died. Would be kind of OP though, unless the ability has a fairly long cooldown. Some heroes in DotA can do similar things so it'd be kind of cool.
    Unless respawn times are instant, I doubt Tracer can rewind back to the spot she died. Would be kind of OP though, unless the ability has a fairly long cooldown. Some heroes in DotA can do similar things so it'd be kind of cool.

According to this site, Recall isn't even her ultimate ability. I'm willing to bet it hasn't got more than 15 seconds of cooldown.
    drwill439 wrote: »

According to this site, Recall isn't even her ultimate ability. I'm willing to bet it hasn't got more than 15 seconds of cooldown.

A fifteen second cooldown should be okay. Guess we'll just need to see if there's respawn timers too. Wouldn't surprise me if Tracer had the least amount of HP in the game either to offset her mobility and elusiveness.

A fifteen second cooldown should be okay. Guess we'll just need to see if there's respawn timers too. Wouldn't surprise me if Tracer had the least amount of HP in the game either to offset her mobility and elusiveness.

Like TF2's Scout. I suspect anyone that's in here class of hero will have similar stats like HP, speed and whatnot.

Like TF2's Scout. I suspect anyone that's in here class of hero will have similar stats like HP, speed and whatnot.

Pretty much, yes, although the Scout's double shotgun thing hurt pretty bad. Not sure how much damage her pistols will do.
  • KowtowRobinsonKowtowRobinson TEBOW! TEBOW! TEBOW! Joined: Posts: 6,438
    RESURRECTION

Full gameplay matches posted for a number of characters, 60fps
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    why do i feel like blizzard is channeling bungie's destiny ever-so-slightly with this game? if it's not a grind-fest like destiny is, i'm on board already.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
    Its nothing like destiny; its a team based objective shooter, like TF2, not an MMO. The original game, Titan, was supposed to be huge like destiny, but blizzard cancelled it because they weren't happy with it. Rumor is they took the characters from the game, and took the arena based PvP component of the bigger Titan game, and turned it into Overwatch.

e$ports
    Its nothing like destiny; its a team based objective shooter, like TF2, not an MMO. The original game, Titan, was supposed to be huge like destiny, but blizzard cancelled it because they weren't happy with it. Rumor is they took the characters from the game, and took the arena based PvP component of the bigger Titan game, and turned it into Overwatch.

Would've liked if Blizzard kept plugging away at the shooter-MMO. Bungie finally figured out with House of Wolves, I'm sure Blizzard can too.
    Is it? Destiny was so bad that after I hit max level I haven't played it since

e$ports

and yet the game still has a relatively large community playing despite it's mediocrities

Just imagine if Titan turned out well and didn't have the flaws of Destiny and the pros of WoW. Even if that turned out mediocre for a blizzard game, it would have been a massive hit especially if pvp was more or less Overwatch.

A shame though, was waiting out on Titan since highschool.

Bungie fixed a ton of their missteps with House of Wolves. Even Kotaku, who takes every chance it can to stomp on Destiny had to admit that the game is awesome now.
    Breaking news
    it got bigger again

1432951793374.jpg
    owattjacob wrote: »
    Breaking news
    it got bigger again

1432951793374.jpg
    250px-Sweating-Man.jpg

He doesn't sound like he's from Brazil at all, he sounds like a stereotype from 90s cartoon of the upbeat token black guy. Think they ought to redo these voiceovers.
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 1,003
    Man, I really hate Blizz lately. Game looks dumbed down, repetitive and shallow as fuck. Here's your ONE AND ONLY GUN, now shoot it, AND ONLY IT, for the next 10 minutes. Halfway trough the vid I got bored and closed it. OH BUT YOU CAN PRESS "Q" AND YOU HEAL YOURSELF!!!! Woooooooooow!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much pre-ordering this shit and will play the fuck outta Reaper but I'm sure the game will suffer from all the same problems all latest Blizz games suffer from.

First week: OMG THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! I CANT WAIT TO GET HOME AND PLAY IT AGAIN!!!
    On the 8th day: Eeeeh, the game is repetitive as fuck, guess I'll do dailies with a character I don't want to play (you bet your ass there will be dailies) and log off.
    14th day: *Uninstall Overwatch* Not like I'm gonna play it ever again.

Fucking Hearthstone has it and fucking Heroes of the Storm has it. I couldn't take these games for more then one week. I'm not asking to be playing this game for years but give me a couple of months at least!

Don't get me started on the fucking kid friendly graphics and design. I also hate the fucking accents, they sound fake as fuck.

Atleast Erron Black is in the game...
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "I love My Little Pony so much it hurts".
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 1,125
    This game actually looks like a ton of fun. Nothing against TF2 but it's gotten stale quick, mostly due to Valve lacking any initiative or drive to revamp some of the weapons or release entirely new ones. I hope Blizzard can keep the interest.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I like the character designs a lot.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • HyperGearHyperGear Joined: Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This is gonna be like Heroes of the Storm all over again waiting for that beta invite.
    Had to use my Illuminati powers for hookups to the invite. Didn't get much time to play today, only about 90 minutes, but it was fun. I haven't tried all the classes out just yet so I can't evaluate them, but among the ones I did try, I didn't really like Reaper or McCree. The former felt underwhelming and McCree didn't really suit my style so much.
    I didnt get first wave either : ( I Only hope they give beta access to all blizzcon attendees

e$ports
  • GreyFoxxGreyFoxx R.I.P Brother. Joined: Posts: 4,480
    -cue Doc Who in rain gif-
    How often are they releasing waves? Assuming it's not going to be very often, it's Blizzard.
  • r00ster22r00ster22 Joined: Posts: 3,943
    Every game since Orcs and Humans COME ON BLIZZARD.
    Leona Avatar by: Savaii64
    Leona Picture by: .Cobra

"A few people in the scene know how to work on sticks."
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.