Pocket Rumble: 2D indie fighter on Kickstarter RIGHT NOW!

CardboardRobotGamesCardboardRobotGames Joined: Posts: 34
edited November 2014 in Fighting Game Discussion

Comments

• AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 756
    I was just wondering if you guys had scrap this after the first kickstarter. I'm glad it's back, because this is a cool idea.
    Hopefully someone puts up on the front page this time.
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • CardboardRobotGamesCardboardRobotGames Joined: Posts: 34
    I was just wondering if you guys had scrap this after the first kickstarter. I'm glad it's back, because this is a cool idea.
    Hopefully someone puts up on the front page this time.

Ehhh, we aren't counting on it lol. We're mostly here to talk to people about the game, our publisher can handle most of the press stuff.
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    edited November 2014
    really digging the diversity of the roster and their concepts! also makes me super happy to see Subject 11 using the pronoun "their."

totes supporting this~
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 640
    edited November 2014
    Backed! There's a ton of interesting ideas, I hope this time around you reach your funding goal!

Did I correctly see that the game has airblocks? How will they work? Can you block grounded attacks? or just air-to-air? What about specials/supers?
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,940
    loving the diverse cast and basic appproach. Will support
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    Backed! There's a ton of interesting ideas, I hope this time around you reach your funding goal!

Did I correctly see that the game has airblocks? How will they work? Can you block grounded attacks? or just air-to-air? What about specials/supers?

I could see why you would think that, Naomi's air reset animation looks a lot like she is blocking. We wanted to fix that before we captured footage but we really didn't have enough time. We don't really have any kind of airblock atm.
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 640
    Glad to hear that! Airblocks are difficult to do right in traditional fighting games.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,977
    Well, at least the characters look more original this time. Suppose I could get behind it.
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,445
    You guys are in Pittsburgh? Let me know if there are any opportunities to buy you guys a beer.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Well, at least the characters look more original this time. Suppose I could get behind it.

Yeah, one of the biggest complaints during the last KS was how much the sprites looked frankensteined/ripped. While that wasn't ever the case, we were DEFINITELY designing things too close to the source material, so as soon as that Kickstarter ended our lead artist redrew everything from scratch. We still kept the low resolution and color restrictions that we liked a lot, but we majorly beefed up the framerate (the amount of frames per animation is now closer to 3S than it is to anything on NGPC) and we approached the 'chibi' artstyle a little differently. Most NGPC sprites have pretty hefty/squarish bodies (check out square-ass Ryu here). We wanted to keep big hands/head, but we made all the characters lankier and taller basically because it's not what NGPC games do... BUT we still really like the result even if it's betraying our main inspiration a bit.

And we actually went more NGPC in some ways. We use the sound chip the NGPC was based on for all of our tracks now, and they sound significantly better imo (I'm not the composer) than the fake-bit we were doing before.

We also gave Naomi a haircut and turned her hat backwards because that was the sprite everyone thought was a sprite edit of Terry.
    Do you think you could make an option able to listen to the remixed/arranged tracks in-game instead of the chiptunes? I can appreciate a decent chiptune, but they do grate on me after a while.
    Do you think you could make an option able to listen to the remixed/arranged tracks in-game instead of the chiptunes? I can appreciate a decent chiptune, but they do grate on me after a while.

It's something we'll definitely consider if we get that remix album (although Guile's MotM track can never grate on anyone ever. It's perfect).

edited November 2014
    Hmm, well, money's tight for me right now but I'll do what I can to support you guys. Maybe you can do the same with my fighter one day when I finally get it in a showable state!
    Hmm, well, money's tight for me right now but I'll do what I can to support you guys. Maybe you can do the same with my fighter when I finally get something showable...

Sure thing, just let us know when you have something to show. We could use more indie fighting games, the only ones I'm really aware of in development now is Shattered (which from the little footage I've seen is looking REAL good) and Fearless Night (although I haven't heard anything about this in a long time).
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,483
    Haha I like this, this is cool. And the characters are pretty unique and diverse. If I wasn't going through some hard times financially right now I'd definitely donate. Hope you guys reach your goal.
  • MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 496
    Glad to see you guys are still working on this, i saw the kickstarter last night, looking pretty dope
    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
    Glad to see you guys are still working on this, i saw the kickstarter last night, looking pretty dope

The goal with the new Kickstarter was to have the video be 100% gameplay, pretty much the exact opposite of what we did last time. So far, seems like it was a good decision!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,109 mod
    Backed
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,164
    What happened to Leona with Terry's cap? I liked her. :(
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary
    KOF98UM: Mature/Geese/EX-King
    LB2: Yuki, Washizuka, Hibiki
  • factory9factory9 ARCANA HEARTO TWEEEE Joined: Posts: 985
    what's the chance of those crossover characters ever becoming playable?

I think that'd be pretty sick
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    What happened to Leona with Terry's cap? I liked her. :(

Well it's still Terry's cap.

6RuSm8f.png
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    Is Naomi's long distance hop really called a "Hype Hop", or is that a typo, with it really being called a "Hyper Hop"?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,320
    It's not clear to me from reading the KS page whether this thing will get a Mac/Linux port or if it's just a stretch goal or if it'll come with the Geiger DLC. I would be 1000% more likely to back this if it were to get a Linux port.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »
    It's not clear to me from reading the KS page whether this thing will get a Mac/Linux port or if it's just a stretch goal or if it'll come with the Geiger DLC. I would be 1000% more likely to back this if it were to get a Linux port.

Mac/Linux port + Geiger is a stretch goal if they reach $35k.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• FurryCurryFurryCurry The World's Finest Joined: Posts: 5,648
    I just pledged. Not going to lie, I'd love for you guys to sneak a PS4 version with that Vita one and make it cross buy/cross save. I really do hope you meet all your stretch goals. I love my NGPC and it's fighting games.
    where yo tear drop at, gangsta? I'm so hard my cheeks look like i've been watching a lifetime movie marathon so what's really hood. - Monte
    I assume there's not going to be voice acting? I think there should be voices in the game. I understand the idea that it's supposed to be an NGPC game and thus it wouldn't have voices, but honestly that just seems like kind of a cop-out to me...
  • FurryCurryFurryCurry The World's Finest Joined: Posts: 5,648
    ^How about just grunts and what not? I don't think anyone should actually, talk.
    where yo tear drop at, gangsta? I'm so hard my cheeks look like i've been watching a lifetime movie marathon so what's really hood. - Monte
  • COALCOAL Joined: Posts: 93
    (which from the little footage I've seen is looking REAL good)

Now I totally demand a Julia among the unlockable characters!

Jokes aside, I backed it just now, I wish you a great Kickstarting adventure the following days!
    Shattered dev: Blog - SRK Discussion
    d3v wrote: »
    Is Naomi's long distance hop really called a "Hype Hop", or is that a typo, with it really being called a "Hyper Hop"?

we didn't want to actually call it "hyper hop," because it has different properties from KoF hyper hop. So yeah, "hype hop" is intentional lol.
    factory9 wrote: »
    what's the chance of those crossover characters ever becoming playable?

I think that'd be pretty sick

Some of them, yes! Depends on how the boss fight comes out and how interested the person who owns the IP is with making them a full character. Kick and Fencer will NEVER be playable in local/online vs, though. Sorry if that's a little disappointing, but we'd never balance them properly without completely betraying their source material.
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    edited November 2014
    Looks fun. Threw some money your way. ;)
    Roald Dhalsim
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,681
    Good luck on this, definitely looks good so far.
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Backed for $25, looks fun

e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm still waiting for River City Ransom Underground...I just don't trust kickstarter funded games...too many turn to vaporware after the devs take the cash and run.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for River City Ransom Underground...I just don't trust kickstarter funded games...too many turn to vaporware after the devs take the cash and run.

Developing games take a long ass time, dud. RCR:U has been in constant development and has had a ton of work done. They're looking to get a playable build out to backers this month even.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • BlueXIIIBlueXIII Self-Improvement Club Joined: Posts: 96
    I wasn't the least bit interested in this game at first glance, especially with me not being used to the art style, but after reading through the Kickstarter page, my initial opinion changed drastically almost immediately. I love how the game is a love letter to different styles of fighting games and how unique every character is compared to each other.

This is certainly going to be the first game I ever back and I can't wait to see it come to fruition.
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Here's hoping this gets featured on SRK's front page. Please oh please.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
    specs wrote: »
    I'd love to, but Kickstarter campaigns are usually reviewed by Ian and Pat.

Go bug them about this.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,246
    Looks really cool. I won't be backing as I dont do the kickstarter thing, but I'll buy it when it comes out for sure.

Good luck guys :tup:
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    d3v wrote: »
    specs wrote: »
    I'd love to, but Kickstarter campaigns are usually reviewed by Ian and Pat.

Go bug them about this.

Noted. Thanks for the info!
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • BixHDBixHD Semi-lurker Joined: Posts: 189
    Wait, so if we wanted to execute moves like they are done in other games (qcfs, dps, etc.) we can't do that?

Otherwise, looks great, will pass on some money soon.

RTSD and stuff

Hampton Roads VA FGC info:
    Facebook group
    Discord server
    People usually gather nightly (except mondays) @ That Game Store
    4221 Pleasant Valley Rd Unit 120, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
    if you have to prioritize a day to come out, Thursdays are usually the most active
    edited November 2014
    BixHD wrote: »
    Wait, so if we wanted to execute moves like they are done in other games (qcfs, dps, etc.) we can't do that?

Otherwise, looks great, will pass on some money soon.

We've looked into that, but the problem with just adding a "quarter circle" mode is that you get advantages the "diagonal" people don't. OS that only exists with qcf (qcf+B being either your special or a throw tech) is just one of many things we'd have to make sure isn't possible (or make a diagonal equivalent), and at that point things might just feel awkward. Still experimenting when it comes to this.

We'll add traditional inputs if we can, but we aren't going to make our default diagonals a throwaway "easy mode" that you HAVE to transition away from once you want to start playing at a high level. Either they are very close to equal or we only stick with one.

I think you'll be surprised how easy you adjust to our diagonal system though, the buffering time is only 7f for all specials and it feels really responsive. You also never get one by accident either, 7f was definitely as low as we could go where that still holds true.
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    will it play like cvs2?

otherwise fucc the world :wtf:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• ashxuashxu Joined: Posts: 132
    Anyone got a link to the OST/All available songs? I wanna see if it's worth backing enough to get the OST.

Also it's incredibly counter intuitive to have newbie friendliness as a main selling point and then lock the strategy guide behind the $25 backer tier...

Considering this is a FG where information is as important as ever, you are just asking for people to redistribute it...
    On another note, I can't be the only one that thought Naomi was a guy before realizing what her name was and it being specifically stated in the video.
  • Spooty WhiteboySpooty Whiteboy I must break you! Joined: Posts: 2,772
    Looking good. And the Kickstarter seems to be working out better than last time too. Only 5 days in, and you are already around 40% of your goal. Here's hoping you can get all of those DLC characters in the stretch goals.
    Live Tag: Spootz
    PSN: SPTwhte

"There's a complicated answer to that question. You see, I think we could all know Batman in our hearts, if we just intensely and obsessively study all of his comics, tv shows, movies...and..
    No. I don't really know Batman." - Dr. McNinja
    Surprised consoles aren't being considered. The FGC primarily relies on consoles so it will be hard to distribute the game to the more hardcore crowd (and to people who like to play on consoles of course)
    ashxu wrote: »
    Surprised consoles aren't being considered. The FGC primarily relies on consoles so it will be hard to distribute the game to the more hardcore crowd (and to people who like to play on consoles of course)

I hate to say it, but I think a game like this has limited appeal and porting it to consoles might be more of a headache than it's worth.