Pocket Rumble: 2D indie fighter on Kickstarter RIGHT NOW!

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,761 mod
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.

My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).

All it takes is someone who has a launcher of some sort or jab jab jab special to go nuts.
    From what they've shown, and what they've previously talked about, I don't think they're going for anything that goes like this. I highly doubt we'll see a character with a launcher.

As for jab jab jab special, that'll only really happen if they screw up their frame data. In any case, all they need to do is make sure that you don't get to continue a combo after a special.

Things happen, though. You can't account for everything unless you remove all possible variables. And let's say they do remove all possible variables, if every character gets boiled down into a 2 or 3 hit combo with how limited the move set already is, it's gonna be a real homogenized game. It'd feel like a case of too much going on to be a casual game like Divekick or Señor Footsies, not enough going on to be taken seriously like SF, KoF, SG, whatever.

You're discounting the fact that everyone has a unique meter and meter options. That should at least make for an interesting neutral game.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,283
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.

My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).

All it takes is someone who has a launcher of some sort or jab jab jab special to go nuts.
    From what they've shown, and what they've previously talked about, I don't think they're going for anything that goes like this. I highly doubt we'll see a character with a launcher.

As for jab jab jab special, that'll only really happen if they screw up their frame data. In any case, all they need to do is make sure that you don't get to continue a combo after a special.

Things happen, though. You can't account for everything unless you remove all possible variables. And let's say they do remove all possible variables, if every character gets boiled down into a 2 or 3 hit combo with how limited the move set already is, it's gonna be a real homogenized game. It'd feel like a case of too much going on to be a casual game like Divekick or Señor Footsies, not enough going on to be taken seriously like SF, KoF, SG, whatever.

You're discounting the fact that everyone has a unique meter and meter options. That should at least make for an interesting neutral game.

The only thing that meter makes unique is how you build and spend meter. I'm not discounting it so much as it doesn't matter as much as you'd want it to. We've already seen games that do that, from KoF98 to CvS2. A different meter choice changes an option here or there, gives you one new situation you didn't have before takes one situation away from you, but the toolset of the character stays the same. Of course those games give you the choice of your meter where as this game it's tied to the character, but the idea is the same. Meter does not create drastic differences between characters.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • luckyjimluckyjim Joined: Posts: 116
    Gah, this is still just closed alpha, I was hoping to try out the game already. I'm really looking forward to it and love the artstyle as well as what I've read about some of the changes to the mechanics. I think I cheaped on the backer money so not sure if I'll get any alpha or beta access.

Knowing that throws work like SF2, one of the first things I plan to try is throw/DP option select to see if that will work the same way too. I suppose that depends on if normals can be cancelled before active or not.
  • Rabbit360Rabbit360 keyboard warrior Joined: Posts: 288
    I wonder if this is going to be another one of those kickstarters that fail due to incompetence.
    Pocket Rumble alpha tourney stream archive, starts @ 1:52:00

I love this game already from the little bit I played. rewarding neutral game and usage of fundamentals, and obviously has quite a bit of charm to it. I wish I had the alpha to spend more time with it. Tenchi is very "SF" - fireball, DP, fireball super, flash kick, and headbutt type moves along with Chun's headstomp. Naomi seems a bit more complicated as a KoF-influenced character but should be fun if I can figure her out.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,877
    Mm... not to rain on anybody's parade here, but I just stumbled upon this thing, and you guys might wanna know about it. @CardboardRobotGames

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davywagnarok/pocket-n30n-city-rumble

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

I am raising money to pay my cat's vet bills. Please help out and spread the link. https://www.gofundme.com/mowglithecat

• J_ismJ_ism Hungry fighter Joined: Posts: 145
    Reviving this thread since early access is out now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389050/
  • Wedge_AntillesWedge_Antilles I like cats. Joined: Posts: 489
    It's a neat little thing. Can confirm it does have combos.

GFWL: WedgeAntilles S wedgeantilles on Steam
    Awesome, I've been getting my ass kicked in our Pocket Rumble tournies since I wasn't able to practice anything (didn't have the alpha). Just toying around with it now, love the hitbox viewer in training mode and I'll rope some friends in to try it out outline.
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Just played around in training mode, trying to find impractical combos. Lots of fun! Well done!
    Roald Dhalsim
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,042
    edited February 2016
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,761 mod
    Am I the only one who finds the controls somewhat unresponsive? As in, moves sometimes don't come out when you want them to, like I'll be trying to chuck plasma with Tenchi and instead I'll be getting just his low kick.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

took me 15 or so games to get used to the controls. get used to holding the buttons down a bit and it all feels fine.

My biggest issue is trying to walk into crouching normal and getting a dp.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • Tomo009Tomo009 Joined: Posts: 2,268
    Has anyone deciphered how the frame display works? I don't seem to be able to tell at all, some moves have 2 same coloured pixels vertically and some have different, what does this even mean
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 640
    edited February 2016
    Am I the only one who finds the controls somewhat unresponsive? As in, moves sometimes don't come out when you want them to, like I'll be trying to chuck plasma with Tenchi and instead I'll be getting just his low kick.

I initially thought this was a bug, and reported it. Turns out it's a feature. They apparently realized that getting a dragon punch when you try to do a normal out of crouch block is is not ideal. So they decided that doing specials requires you to hold a diagonal and hold the button for a longer time, rather than tapping it.

I honestly find this a pretty questionable design decision. The result is that you don't get the specials when you want them but slightly delayed, and you have to do something that is completely unintuitive for fighting game players. While I understand the sentiment to make the inputs easier, this just makes them more awkward. I really hope they change their minds and start doing specials with qcf and qcb inputs, that's hardly more difficult if you just write a good input interpreter that also accepts down, forward as a qcf, you're not shooting keyboard players in the foot either.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 2,928
    Veserius wrote: »
    Apparently your joke post in the SFV forum revived this thread. =V

Also I hadn't heard about this game before. Seems kinda neat, maybe I'll give it a try.
    Ah, I thought I was doing something wrong. Didn't know about having to hold the button down for a bit as well.
    Roald Dhalsim
    edited February 2016
    complaining that you can queue your inputs is like kind of silly IMO. Does it suck when your opponent has frame perfect reversals every time? sure. But you also have that available to you as well, and the overall ease of execution is there.

If you actually play the game the execution quirks will not even be an issue anymore. The only time i get really messed up is when I get crossed up, and that can happen in any game with your reversal input getting eaten outside of modern capcom games with 3000 dp shortcuts.
    Post edited by Veserius on
    complaining that you can queue your inputs is like kind of silly IMO.

Are you replying to someone? Nobody complained about that in this thread. I think the time that you cant expect the opponent to do frame perfect reversals are basically over. Every game has a huge buffer these days. Pocket rumble just has the hugest possible.

I dont think that's a bad thing, although it sure made for a lot more fluid setplay in games like Alpha 2, where reversals were literally 1 frame, not even piaonoing helped.

If I were to complain about the huge buffer, it wouldn't be about frame perfect reversals, or that it's technically easier to execute moves. It would be about how it takes away a bit of the visceral experience of playing a fighting game, where normally you hit a button and your character does an attack. Now you hit the first button, then hold the next one until that attack comes out, etc.

The crossup thing is interesting, because when I play ST and I get crossed up whilst performing a special move, several things can happen: the input gets messed up and my character just does a normal attack, the special move comes out, but in the wrong direction, or the special comes out in the right direction. You can actually adjust your inputs and/or timing to get the moves to still come out correctly.
    In Pocket Rumble's case it seems that you just get your db special, in stead of your df special and vice-versa, because of the simplified controls.
    Roald Dhalsim
    I missed part of my point in that changing the control scheme would necessitate changing the input buffer system as well. They are sort of linked.
    I missed part of my point in that changing the control scheme would necessitate changing the input buffer system as well. They are sort of linked.

I don't see why though. Just because qcf and qcb inputs are introduced, does not mean you couldn't keep the 'if you hold the input button during a move it will come out the first frame possible'. That wouldn't need any drastic changing.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 2,928
    Hey look, footage of a good player playing this game.

• FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 974
    Can you only play two characters at the moment? Is there a primer on what the other characters can do?
  • ajyou003ajyou003 Joined: Posts: 118
    Yes, only 2 right now (Tenchi, Naomi). Go to their kickstarter page to see the campaign with the description of the other 6 characters.
    Awesome. Thanks.
    edited February 2016

Sorry for the terrible quality.
    Lots of padding in the video with simple combos, because the game isn't that well known yet. That Tenchi combo where he does the charging antler attack into dp into super was kinda hard to time though, as was the split screen Naomi combo because the finicky controls kept messing up my EX specials.
    Post edited by Bob Sagat on
    Roald Dhalsim
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,050

How do you feel about Valle throwing shots at you? Kappa
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...

How do you feel about Valle throwing shots at you? Kappa

???
    Bob Sagat wrote: »
    (video)

Sorry for the terrible quality.
    Lots of padding in the video with simple combos, because the game isn't that well known yet. That Tenchi combo where he does the charging antler attack into dp into super was kinda hard to time though, as was the split screen Naomi combo because the finicky controls kept messing up my EX specials.

That meaty DP corner combo is actually pretty cool, because if you 1B immediately after a 1A knockdown in the corner it's timed perfectly to hit like that. Of course it doesn't have iframes by then so it loses to reversals, but it's also safe on block hitting that meaty.
  • IanskieIanskie Keep Watch Joined: Posts: 556
    Just saw this, glad thread was resurrected recently. Looks cool.
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,658
    Got the game yesterday and played for awhile. The game is fun, but the button mechanics are annoying. I never truly got comfortable with the inputs since I'll get accidental specials when I'm just trying to cr. MK for example. It would be nice if we could toggle "easy" and "traditional" inputs.
    I'm not sure I agree with it, but the way the inputs are setup right now actually builds in 50/50 setups because you can't reversal meaty crossups without inputting a reversal in the wrong direction ahead of time (since there is built in input startup for every special and it does not autocorrect). I've advocated for at least allowing separate buttons for specials and normals so you can't accidentally get one over the other. I figure they're mostly focused on fixing bugs and working on new characters right now though.
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @CardboardRobotGames , is this still happenning for 3ds? I was (am) hyped since the beginning but got out of loop with the info of this game.

If so PLEASE, support Old 3ds owners too, since some Devs are moving to New 3ds their assets.
  • PurplePonyArcadePurplePonyArcade Robotic killing machine in training Joined: Posts: 184
    I literally just got the game now, It looks adorable and feels good but can someone please tell me where to find the movelist :(
    BlazBlue: Nu, Tager, Amane---Akatsuki Blitzkampf: Akatsuki, Adler, Perfecti--Under Night: Akatsuki, Vatista--Vampire Savior: Jedah, Q-Bee, Lilith--Melee: Peach, Fox, Zelda--SkullGirls: BigBand/Painwheel, Fukua, Bigband/Parasoul --3rd Strike: Hugo, Alex, Q--JoJo(Capcom): Dio, Vanilla Ice, Jotaro--KOFXIII: Iori(both)/Kula/K', Team K'--GuiltyGear: Jam, A.B.A, Potemkin--Persona: Aigis, Adachi -- Smash 4: Zelda, Ganon, Greninja, Ryu--MOTW: Rock, Jae Hoon-- CVS2: Yamazaki/Rugal/Geese(N/K), Rock/Boxer/Terry(K)--KOF'98: Yamazaki/Iori/Rugal, Kim/Rugal/Yamazaki--KOF'98UMFE:Geese(both)/Rugal/EXYamazaki, Kim/Iori/Krauser, Yamazaki/Iori/EXGeese--KOF2002: Vanessa/Kula/Yamazaki, Iori/Kula/K', Terry/Kusanagi/Kim, Ramon/Seth/K9999--KOF2002UM: Iori/K'/Kula, Kula/Venessa/Yamazaki, Seth/Hinako/Ramon---KOF2003: Ash/Ryo/Gato, Ash/Yamazaki/Shen--KOF XI: Kula/Oswald/Iori, Oswald/Kula/Ash, Tizoc/Vanessa/Kim--Arcana Hearts 3 Love MAX!!!!!: Weiss, Mei-Fang--Killer Instinct: Hisako, Jago--Street Fighter V: F.A.N.G., Alex, Dictator-- Xrd: Venom, Potemkin,-- MVC2: Hiryu/Felicia/Cable, Nash/Cable/Felicia-- MeltyBloodAACC: Chaos, Kohaku, Arcueid--
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    All moves are executed the same, this is holding for a bit any downward diagonal, either foward or backward and then pressing a button. All chars are the same.

BTW I just saw that the Kickstarter got ypdated, now Parker is playable. Anyone have used him?
    PARKER QUIT BATTLING THOSE SCHOOLKIDS AND GET ME MORE PICTURES OF SPIDERMAN

I am raising money to pay my cat's vet bills. Please help out and spread the link. https://www.gofundme.com/mowglithecat

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,934
    edited April 2016
    Parker was the character i was waiting for. I like Counter/ def hybrid characters, can anyone give a description of him? I was waiting till he was available locally befor I dive into Pocket rumble.
    Post edited by keo-bas on
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    edited April 2016
    He seems to copy some of Karin Kanzuki's moves shot-for-shot.

But other than that I guess he places lightning balls on the screen, and can cause lightning to shoot between two of them. So probably some zoning trickery is intended.

There's 8 playable characters now? Jesus, I should pick up this game now.

No, there's only three. More are coming later.

PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »

Who are the three? And why in that video does it show 8?

Who are the three? And why in that video does it show 8?

It just shows eight in the character select. They already showed who the characters are, they just don't have any gameplay yet.

The three are Tenchi, Naomi and Parker.

• Bob199Bob199 Joined: Posts: 65
    edited March 1
    Game's almost ready for release. All 8 characters are now playable, all that's missing are a few sprites & sounds

It's also coming out for Nintendo Switch
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 2,947
    edited March 1
    Bob199 wrote: »
    Game's almost ready for release. All 8 characters are now playable, all that's missing are a few sprites & sounds

It's also coming out for Nintendo Switch

whut? chucklefish? since when do they have to do with the game?
    no buy then... :coffee: :

• JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 533
    Whats the probem with chucklefish?
    I'm excited. Game is looking pretty good and I'm eager to see what amazing guests it might have......

JetKinen wrote: »

details would blow up this thread.
    lets just say its a company which doesnt deserve a single dime from me anymore.

the kickstarter campaign was a success right?
    why do they need them?

appomo wrote: »

why do they need them?

Sooo they did nothing and we can ignore your whining? Okay then

If you're not gonna tell us what's so bad about them we don't have any reason to listen

edited March 1
    appomo wrote: »

why do they need them?

Sooo they did nothing and we can ignore your whining? Okay then

If you're not gonna tell us what's so bad about them we don't have any reason to listen
    listen to what? i asked a question!

not trying to convince anyone here to not buy the product because i dont want to support chuckle.
    so feel free to put that whiteknight sword back where it belongs and chill.