Pocket Rumble: 2D indie fighter on Kickstarter RIGHT NOW!

1356

Comments

  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,140 mod
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Huge congratulations!
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • Jinzer0Jinzer0 Ol' Skool Gamer Joined: Posts: 38
    Congrats!!!

    Wish I had $35K to throwaway to get a 3DS and Vita version.

    Love SvC:MotW on NGPC, does this mean we are still getting the PR ROM for NGPC?
    GamerTag: NamiXJin
    PSN ID: JinZer069
    GGPO: jinzer0
    SuperCade: jinzer0
    ArcLive: jinzer0
  • CardboardRobotGamesCardboardRobotGames Joined: Posts: 34
    Jinzer0 wrote: »
    Congrats!!!

    Wish I had $35K to throwaway to get a 3DS and Vita version.

    Love SvC:MotW on NGPC, does this mean we are still getting the PR ROM for NGPC?

    Yup, the NGPC ROM is still happening and is free for everyone.
  • Jinzer0Jinzer0 Ol' Skool Gamer Joined: Posts: 38
    Cool, hope you upload a video on showing me(us) on how to get it on a NGPC? if possible?

    If not, I'll just play it on PC.

    Congrats again!!!
    GamerTag: NamiXJin
    PSN ID: JinZer069
    GGPO: jinzer0
    SuperCade: jinzer0
    ArcLive: jinzer0
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    What is the story of this game, anyways? I don't think anything was said on that. You went into a description of the different mechanics of the characters, but said nothing about the story, which you dropped tidbits of in their descriptions. I would've done it the opposite way but that's just me.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • Bob199Bob199 Joined: Posts: 65
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,672
    Damn that looks sick, I wish I had backed them.
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,711
    Best watch that video in HD where it's 60 fps, that way some of the effects won't be skipped and you won't see invisible fireballs. I think Mike Z suggested something good in the comments section about it:

    "If you make the effects 50% transparent every other frame, instead of invisible every other frame, you get basically the same visual effect without the possibility of them completely disappearing in lower framerate videos"
  • veromirveromir Joined: Posts: 46
    edited May 2015
    Very good game. Best independent FG i have seen, and one of the best overall. At least from what is possible to gess from the gameplay video.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    Bob199 wrote: »

    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,672
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Bob199 wrote: »

    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.
    I don't think I've ever seen you post something positive regarding people's projects or ideas.

    Anyway I actually like the new health bar. It shows how much damage is needed to kill the opponent in a really intuitive way. The only gripe with this system is because each hit does 1 stock of damage, chained light attack starters will take away more damage than 1 cr. MK xx special combo would. Also the developers have come up with some really cool and intuitive ideas that can be added to the fighting game genre, like the frame data counter hud right below the health bar for example. When this game comes out on steam greenlight, I'm definitely going to show my support and buy it.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Bob199 wrote: »

    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.
    I don't think I've ever seen you post something positive regarding people's projects or ideas.

    Anyway I actually like the new health bar. It shows how much damage is needed to kill the opponent in a really intuitive way. The only gripe with this system is because each hit does 1 stock of damage, chained light attack starters will take away more damage than 1 cr. MK xx special combo would. Also the developers have come up with some really cool and intuitive ideas that can be added to the fighting game genre, like the frame data counter hud right below the health bar for example. When this game comes out on steam greenlight, I'm definitely going to show my support and buy it.

    There is no "light/medium/heavy" trichotomy in this game. There is only punch and kick.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Bob199 wrote: »

    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.
    I don't think I've ever seen you post something positive regarding people's projects or ideas.

    Also the developers have come up with some really cool and intuitive ideas that can be added to the fighting game genre, like the frame data counter hud right below the health bar for example. When this game comes out on steam greenlight, I'm definitely going to show my support and buy it.

    That's because most of the things that get posted on FGD don't look good to me. If something actually looks good I will more than gladly give credit where it is due. Also this game gets a bonus star of pissing me off for stealing the Neo Geo Pocket art style but making a game that doesn't play anything like any Neo Geo Pocket game and basically missing the point entirely for what the NGPC was trying to do and why it was such an amazing handheld. It doesn't feel like an honest homage, it feels like a manipulative decision to get people more interested in the game.

    As for all of those awesome things they're "adding" to the genre, you should check out E's Laf. Not only does it have a visual representation of frame data, it straight up gives you frame advantage next to the combo counter, has a bar that tells you when you're in a jump capable state such as jump cancels or just normal jumping, and has one of the most in depth and complex training modes ever created. And that game is made by one dude.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 643
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



    My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

    Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

    I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,140 mod
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



    My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

    Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

    I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

    The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

    From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



    My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

    Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

    I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

    The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

    From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).

    All it takes is someone who has a launcher of some sort or jab jab jab special to go nuts.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,140 mod
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



    My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

    Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

    I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

    The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

    From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).

    All it takes is someone who has a launcher of some sort or jab jab jab special to go nuts.
    From what they've shown, and what they've previously talked about, I don't think they're going for anything that goes like this. I highly doubt we'll see a character with a launcher.

    As for jab jab jab special, that'll only really happen if they screw up their frame data. In any case, all they need to do is make sure that you don't get to continue a combo after a special.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



    My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

    Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

    I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

    The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

    From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).

    All it takes is someone who has a launcher of some sort or jab jab jab special to go nuts.
    From what they've shown, and what they've previously talked about, I don't think they're going for anything that goes like this. I highly doubt we'll see a character with a launcher.

    As for jab jab jab special, that'll only really happen if they screw up their frame data. In any case, all they need to do is make sure that you don't get to continue a combo after a special.

    Things happen, though. You can't account for everything unless you remove all possible variables. And let's say they do remove all possible variables, if every character gets boiled down into a 2 or 3 hit combo with how limited the move set already is, it's gonna be a real homogenized game. It'd feel like a case of too much going on to be a casual game like Divekick or Señor Footsies, not enough going on to be taken seriously like SF, KoF, SG, whatever.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,140 mod
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



    My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

    Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

    I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

    The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

    From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).

    All it takes is someone who has a launcher of some sort or jab jab jab special to go nuts.
    From what they've shown, and what they've previously talked about, I don't think they're going for anything that goes like this. I highly doubt we'll see a character with a launcher.

    As for jab jab jab special, that'll only really happen if they screw up their frame data. In any case, all they need to do is make sure that you don't get to continue a combo after a special.

    Things happen, though. You can't account for everything unless you remove all possible variables. And let's say they do remove all possible variables, if every character gets boiled down into a 2 or 3 hit combo with how limited the move set already is, it's gonna be a real homogenized game. It'd feel like a case of too much going on to be a casual game like Divekick or Señor Footsies, not enough going on to be taken seriously like SF, KoF, SG, whatever.

    You're discounting the fact that everyone has a unique meter and meter options. That should at least make for an interesting neutral game.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Wow the health system looks silly. Can't say I care about it any more than I did after seeing the first kickstarter. If anything I like it even less.

    I like how they're willing to challenge really basic ideas in fighting games. I think it's a pretty interesting solution. I'm a little worried how the absence of chip damage will work out. But it's probably not a big deal, how they seem to have buffed throws quite a bit. If those aren't easy to tech, it should be fine.

    I can understand your frustration with them 'using' the NGPC style for something completely unlike the fighting games on that system though.

    Also, #SNKPlaymore misses you! I've been wondering what you thought of these new system updates, but you've been gone for quite some time now.



    My computer is still bunk and IRC on my phone is terrible. I'd stop by more if it was convenient.

    Frankly though the issue I have with the health bars is that longer combos will always be better all the time because everything, at least now, does the same damage and is an equal threat. This inherently gives rush down combo characters an advantage. Also, characters with longer confirms are now double the threat because not only do they get more time to confirm their hits into damage, they get more damage off the top anyways. If things start doing more than one pip of damage to balance it out you start running into dangerous territory of something like a low risk poke/pressure move doing more damage than a high risk juggle move or DP. A dedicated pip healthbar leaves too wide of a variable for damage. Everything does 8% minimum, which is already high for say a jab compared to most games, but is also really low for things like a DP. With this damage system the risk/reward is already skewed since a successful DP anti air gives you just as much reward as an extremely safe poke. I see it having the KoFXIII problem of people not being afraid to jump because your AA does 25% the damage my jump in combo will do so who cares.

    I just don't see these healthbars being anything more than a gimmick at best and at worst it's going to seriously affect character balance.

    The game doesn't look to be a heavily combo-centric game though, especially with the limited number of normals.

    From what I'm seeing, it seems to be the the more damaging stuff will be mostly from hit confirming into meter powered options (EX or supers).

    All it takes is someone who has a launcher of some sort or jab jab jab special to go nuts.
    From what they've shown, and what they've previously talked about, I don't think they're going for anything that goes like this. I highly doubt we'll see a character with a launcher.

    As for jab jab jab special, that'll only really happen if they screw up their frame data. In any case, all they need to do is make sure that you don't get to continue a combo after a special.

    Things happen, though. You can't account for everything unless you remove all possible variables. And let's say they do remove all possible variables, if every character gets boiled down into a 2 or 3 hit combo with how limited the move set already is, it's gonna be a real homogenized game. It'd feel like a case of too much going on to be a casual game like Divekick or Señor Footsies, not enough going on to be taken seriously like SF, KoF, SG, whatever.

    You're discounting the fact that everyone has a unique meter and meter options. That should at least make for an interesting neutral game.

    The only thing that meter makes unique is how you build and spend meter. I'm not discounting it so much as it doesn't matter as much as you'd want it to. We've already seen games that do that, from KoF98 to CvS2. A different meter choice changes an option here or there, gives you one new situation you didn't have before takes one situation away from you, but the toolset of the character stays the same. Of course those games give you the choice of your meter where as this game it's tied to the character, but the idea is the same. Meter does not create drastic differences between characters.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • luckyjimluckyjim Joined: Posts: 117
    Gah, this is still just closed alpha, I was hoping to try out the game already. I'm really looking forward to it and love the artstyle as well as what I've read about some of the changes to the mechanics. I think I cheaped on the backer money so not sure if I'll get any alpha or beta access.

    Knowing that throws work like SF2, one of the first things I plan to try is throw/DP option select to see if that will work the same way too. I suppose that depends on if normals can be cancelled before active or not.
  • Rabbit360Rabbit360 Nani? Joined: Posts: 295
    I wonder if this is going to be another one of those kickstarters that fail due to incompetence.
  • luckyjimluckyjim Joined: Posts: 117
    Pocket Rumble alpha tourney stream archive, starts @ 1:52:00

    I love this game already from the little bit I played. rewarding neutral game and usage of fundamentals, and obviously has quite a bit of charm to it. I wish I had the alpha to spend more time with it. Tenchi is very "SF" - fireball, DP, fireball super, flash kick, and headbutt type moves along with Chun's headstomp. Naomi seems a bit more complicated as a KoF-influenced character but should be fun if I can figure her out.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Mm... not to rain on anybody's parade here, but I just stumbled upon this thing, and you guys might wanna know about it. @CardboardRobotGames

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davywagnarok/pocket-n30n-city-rumble

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • J_ismJ_ism Hungry fighter Joined: Posts: 145
    Reviving this thread since early access is out now.

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/389050/
  • Wedge_AntillesWedge_Antilles I like cats. Joined: Posts: 489
    It's a neat little thing. Can confirm it does have combos.

    GFWL: WedgeAntilles S wedgeantilles on Steam
  • luckyjimluckyjim Joined: Posts: 117
    Awesome, I've been getting my ass kicked in our Pocket Rumble tournies since I wasn't able to practice anything (didn't have the alpha). Just toying around with it now, love the hitbox viewer in training mode and I'll rope some friends in to try it out outline.
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Just played around in training mode, trying to find impractical combos. Lots of fun! Well done!
    Roald Dhalsim
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,522
    edited February 2016
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,140 mod
    Am I the only one who finds the controls somewhat unresponsive? As in, moves sometimes don't come out when you want them to, like I'll be trying to chuck plasma with Tenchi and instead I'll be getting just his low kick.
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,522
    took me 15 or so games to get used to the controls. get used to holding the buttons down a bit and it all feels fine.

    My biggest issue is trying to walk into crouching normal and getting a dp.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • Tomo009Tomo009 Joined: Posts: 2,268
    Has anyone deciphered how the frame display works? I don't seem to be able to tell at all, some moves have 2 same coloured pixels vertically and some have different, what does this even mean
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 643
    edited February 2016
    d3v wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds the controls somewhat unresponsive? As in, moves sometimes don't come out when you want them to, like I'll be trying to chuck plasma with Tenchi and instead I'll be getting just his low kick.

    I initially thought this was a bug, and reported it. Turns out it's a feature. They apparently realized that getting a dragon punch when you try to do a normal out of crouch block is is not ideal. So they decided that doing specials requires you to hold a diagonal and hold the button for a longer time, rather than tapping it.

    I honestly find this a pretty questionable design decision. The result is that you don't get the specials when you want them but slightly delayed, and you have to do something that is completely unintuitive for fighting game players. While I understand the sentiment to make the inputs easier, this just makes them more awkward. I really hope they change their minds and start doing specials with qcf and qcb inputs, that's hardly more difficult if you just write a good input interpreter that also accepts down, forward as a qcf, you're not shooting keyboard players in the foot either.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,479
    Veserius wrote: »
    Apparently your joke post in the SFV forum revived this thread. =V

    Also I hadn't heard about this game before. Seems kinda neat, maybe I'll give it a try.
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Ah, I thought I was doing something wrong. Didn't know about having to hold the button down for a bit as well.
    Roald Dhalsim
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,522
    edited February 2016
    complaining that you can queue your inputs is like kind of silly IMO. Does it suck when your opponent has frame perfect reversals every time? sure. But you also have that available to you as well, and the overall ease of execution is there.

    If you actually play the game the execution quirks will not even be an issue anymore. The only time i get really messed up is when I get crossed up, and that can happen in any game with your reversal input getting eaten outside of modern capcom games with 3000 dp shortcuts.
    Post edited by Veserius on
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 643
    Veserius wrote: »
    complaining that you can queue your inputs is like kind of silly IMO.

    Are you replying to someone? Nobody complained about that in this thread. I think the time that you cant expect the opponent to do frame perfect reversals are basically over. Every game has a huge buffer these days. Pocket rumble just has the hugest possible.

    I dont think that's a bad thing, although it sure made for a lot more fluid setplay in games like Alpha 2, where reversals were literally 1 frame, not even piaonoing helped.

  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    If I were to complain about the huge buffer, it wouldn't be about frame perfect reversals, or that it's technically easier to execute moves. It would be about how it takes away a bit of the visceral experience of playing a fighting game, where normally you hit a button and your character does an attack. Now you hit the first button, then hold the next one until that attack comes out, etc.

    The crossup thing is interesting, because when I play ST and I get crossed up whilst performing a special move, several things can happen: the input gets messed up and my character just does a normal attack, the special move comes out, but in the wrong direction, or the special comes out in the right direction. You can actually adjust your inputs and/or timing to get the moves to still come out correctly.
    In Pocket Rumble's case it seems that you just get your db special, in stead of your df special and vice-versa, because of the simplified controls.
    Roald Dhalsim
Sign In or Register to comment.